PDA

View Full Version : What do you make to use your avatars?

Tech Boy
2010-08-12, 06:17 PM
Hello,
I was just wondering what program you use to make avatars and why.

I use Photoshop CS4, and enjoy it so much.
:smallbiggrin:

licoot
2010-08-12, 06:35 PM
Most people use inkscape

Cealocanth
2010-08-12, 06:39 PM
Like many others here, I use Inkscape.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-12, 06:59 PM
There are also the less often, or I doubt at all used programs these days of Sodi Podi and Fireworks.

There's also paint, but these days there aren't really any new avatarists who use it or any of the Pro Paintatars left.

And some other stuffs, but most people use Inkscape.

silversnowe
2010-08-12, 07:00 PM
Illustrator CS3

Felyndiira
2010-08-12, 07:07 PM
There are also the less often, or I doubt at all used programs these days of Sodi Podi and Fireworks.

I still use Fireworks =(. Being used to the obselete program beats the easier-to-draw scenery brushes in Photoshop.

Domochevsky
2010-08-12, 08:11 PM
Eh, personally i prefer openCanvas. An all around convenient package. :smallsmile:

Qwernt
2010-08-12, 08:23 PM
As I have said on the Avatar request thread recently, I use Paint.Net. Just easier for me.

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-12, 08:33 PM
I use Inkscape. Hoorah for Trazoi's guide!

Terry576
2010-08-12, 08:46 PM
I use Inkscape. Hoorah for Trazoi's guide!

I tried that guide once.

Got really fed up, and now I just use concepts from other avatars, and fit them to my style.

Usually I just take the head size. :smalltongue:

But I use Inkscape, even for my ridiculous nitpicky zoom detailing. :smallredface:

licoot
2010-08-12, 08:48 PM
I tried that guide once.

Got really fed up, and now I just use concepts from other avatars, and fit them to my style.

Usually I just take the head size. :smalltongue:

i used it for my first avatar, but after that just worked in my own way, i wouldn't have got started without it though

Jokasti
2010-08-12, 08:49 PM
Illustrator CS4

Terry576
2010-08-12, 08:50 PM
i used it for my first avatar, but after that just worked in my own way, i wouldn't have got started without it though

I used it for mine too.

My god... I'm glad that's on my old hard-drive. It was quite possibly the worst avatar of all time. :smallredface:

But hey, once I got used to it, and recently I settled into my own style, so I feel much more relaxed about avataring.

licoot
2010-08-12, 08:53 PM
I used it for mine too.

My god... I'm glad that's on my old hard-drive. It was quite possibly the worst avatar of all time. :smallredface:

But hey, once I got used to it, and recently I settled into my own style, so I feel much more relaxed about avataring.

it can't be, about half a year before i did my first on inkscape i did one on paint, I'm sooooo glad it was on my old computer, because it was terrible

Terry576
2010-08-12, 09:23 PM
it can't be, about half a year before i did my first on inkscape i did one on paint, I'm sooooo glad it was on my old computer, because it was terrible

Really? Let me give you an image of what it was like...

The feet pointing the wrong way, the legs were choppy, the smile was off, the sword was terrible, as I sucked at nodes, the magic hand was two circles, the cape looked hidious, and his eyes spoke...

"The abyss, it gazes back."

Serpentine
2010-08-12, 10:19 PM
Erm... I think you mean "What do you use to make your avatars?".

I use Adobe Illustrator.

Terry576
2010-08-12, 10:28 PM

I use Adobe Illustrator.

I made Inkscape. :smalltongue:

Kris on a Stick
2010-08-13, 02:54 AM
As I have said on the Avatar request thread recently, I use Paint.Net. Just easier for me.

This one. Yesss...

Terry576
2010-08-13, 03:56 AM
This one. Yesss...

KK, what's with the new avatar? I liked the one of you stealing through an alternate dimension. :smalltongue:

Kris on a Stick
2010-08-13, 05:37 AM
That was my Critical Success: Diplomacy avatar. The Devil was selling me his soul. :smallbiggrin:
As to my current avatar...

Hello Playground.
Look at your avatar. Now back to mine. Now back at your avatar. Now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped using cropped photo avatars and switched to OotS-style it could look like it's mine.
Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the avatar your avatar could look like. What's in your inbox? Back at me. I have it. It's a PM with two links to that thing you love. Look again. The links are now DIAMONDS. Anything is possible when your avatar looks like OotS-style and not a photo crop.
I am a spambot.
*poof*

Terry576
2010-08-13, 05:44 AM
That was my Critical Success: Diplomacy avatar. The Devil was selling me his soul. :smallbiggrin:
This thread is now DIAMONDS. Anything is possible when your avatar looks like OotS-style and not a photo crop.
I am a spambot.
*poof*

Kid Kris:

Confusing and arousing me since 2008.

Quincunx
2010-08-13, 06:26 AM
Paint is not a good tool for pure OotS-style, but if you are willing to develop a style a bit different to compensate for the limbs looking especially odd when pixelated, it works well. The best Paint avatarists' work looks. . .well, painted! Freehand shading is noticeable and rich in texture.

I dodged the limb question by making avatars of pure outline (look at my colored ones where the limb oddity is visible and the quality drops). Kurama doesn't draw limbs at all but implies them with floating, ornate gloves and boots.

Kris on a Stick
2010-08-13, 06:35 AM
That'd be Kurien you're thinking of. Kurama is a different Playgrounder entirely and not an avatarist.

Dispozition
2010-08-13, 07:05 AM
Sodipodi, because it's the goddamn bomb!

Well, now I'd use Flash or Illustrator CS5, since I know them better and can actually sort of use them...Actually I might go make an avatar in Flash now...Brb.

EDIT: I lied...I don't like flash for avatars >:

Mauve Shirt
2010-08-13, 08:33 AM

Same. The first avatar I made wasn't THAT bad, but I don't like looking at it now. The eyes are too small, and the lines too thin. I didn't make it really complicated, it was just a guy with a sign that said "Definitely not a cylon."

Coplantor
2010-08-13, 08:42 AM
Illustrator CS4 or 3, depending where I am.

Prime32
2010-08-13, 10:15 AM
I use Flash 8.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-13, 10:52 AM
Another Inkscape here, although I have occasionally used Paint.NET. Both are good programs

Coplantor
2010-08-13, 10:54 AM
I use Flash 8.

That's why some of yours look flashy?

Asta Kask
2010-08-13, 10:59 AM
Hello,
I was just wondering what you use to make avatars and why.

What I use? Hmm...

In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the avatar is firm and good.

CrimsonAngel
2010-08-13, 11:24 AM

Hello Playground.
Look at your avatar. Now back to mine. Now back at your avatar. Now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped using cropped photo avatars and switched to OotS-style it could look like it's mine.
Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the avatar your avatar could look like. What's in your inbox? Back at me. I have it. It's a PM with two links to that thing you love. Look again. The links are now DIAMONDS. Anything is possible when your avatar looks like OotS-style and not a photo crop.
I am a spambot.
*poof*

:smalleek:
You know I love you right?

licoot
2010-08-13, 11:35 AM

Hello Playground.
I am a spambot.
*poof*

I am SOOOOOOOOOO Confused right now:smallfrown::smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2010-08-13, 11:45 AM
I use inkscape, haven't tried many others (did a serious attempt in coreldraw).
Why?

It nets me quite nice results as I'm used to it, the controls works nicely and it have quite good options. I can also use it on my netbook without problem - a definite plus.

Tech Boy
2010-08-13, 01:50 PM

I use Adobe Illustrator.

Sorry, pretty Dyslexic.