PDA

View Full Version : The Everyman, a 3.5e Jack of All Trades class that leaves everyone happy

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 01:20 PM
The Everyman

"That's just not possible!"
- Regdar, Fighter, after seeing a wizard-like Everyman punch out a burly troll twice his size

The Everyman can be anyone: a tome-bound scholar, a street-thug, a noble. The talents of Everymen everywhere vary widely, and it is rare for any two to have the same abilities. However, they all have one thing in common: they're almost never how they appear to be. Whether they vary only slightly from a core class, or have a selection of abilities rom many classes, they can never quite be categorized as a member of any base class.

Alignment: Alignments vary widely on the good vs. evil axis, as it doesn't take goodness or evil in order to deviate from the norm. However, as they tend to dislike order, many a Everyman is chaotic, with a few neutral on the law vs. chaos axis, and only a handful of lawful Everymen.

Race: Humans, it need not be said, make up the largest amount of Everymen, due to their taste for versitality. After humans, any other race is just as likely as the next to enter the Everyman class, although chaoticly-inclined races tend to have a slightly higher rate of entry.

Relations with other classes: Relationships with other classes vary for each Everyman, but other classes tend to treat them as a member of whatever class their abilities most mimic. That said, Paladins tend to dislike Everymen with varied abilities, as the Paladin thinks that the Everyman has no path in life, while Monks simply shake their heads at such Everymen, thinking that they do not have any path in life, and wander guidelessly.

The Everyman Class Information

HD: 1d4
Skills: Pick any 10 skills. These are your class skills
Skill Points: 4 + Int mod skill points at each level
BAB: 1/2 HD
Saves: Pick one save. This is your good save. Rest are bad.

The Everyman
Level| Class Features
1 | Game Points
2 |
3 |
4 |
5 |
6 |
7 |
8 |
9 |
10| Duo Strike
11|
12|
13|
14|
15|
16|
17|
18|
19|
20| Diverse Entity

Everyman Class Feature Descriptions

Weapon Proficiencies: Everymen are proficient with all simple weapons, three martial weapons of the Everyman's choice, and light armor.

Game Points: At each level, an Everyman receives an amount of Game
Points equal to his or her level. Game Points are used to "buy" the class features that the Everyman gains from other classes. Purchasing rules are as listed here:

-All class features are bought from Base classes.

- Each class feature bought costs a number of Game points equal to the level when the original class would gain it. (Ex. 1st level spellcasting and Sneak Attack +1d6 cost 1 Game Point, while Wildshape(gained at 5th level) costs 5 Game Points)

- Game Points unused at one level can be carried over to the next (ex. an Everyman spends all her Game Points but one. She adds this to her pool of Game Points at the next level)

-All Game Points must be expended at 1st level.

-No matter how many Game Points an Everyman has, he cannot purchase a class feature that costs more Game Points than his Everyman level.

-The Everyman may not purchase any level 20 class features

- Game Points can also be used to purchase the following, with the following limits:

-+1 BAB per Game Point, but BAB cannot exceed HD
- +1 per Game Point to any save, but save cannot be higher than a good save would be at that level
-+1d4 to HP per Game Point, can only be done twice per level

-If an Everyman wishes to obtain the improved version of a class feature, she must first must purchase the previous versions (ex. A character plans to purchase Wildshape 2/day(gained at 6th level). Since this is an improved class feature, she must first purchase Wildshape 1/day (5 Game Points), THEN purchase Wildshape 2/day(6 Game Points), costing a total of 11 Game Points)

- Although a character can purchase arcane spellcasting, divine spellcasting, manifesting levels, maneuvering levels,and levels of all other types of magic, the Everyman can only gain such levels from one class that uses that magic system( Ex. An Everyman wishes to purchase arcane spellcasting levels in sorcerer. She may do so, but afterwards cannot purchase spellcasting levels in any other class that uses arcane magic.)

Duo Strike:
"He done punched me, then his fist was on fire! It hurt me real bad, but he looked okay. I wouldn't mess with him if I was you"
- Grog, Half-Orc who got into a fist-fight with an Everyman

At 10th level, twice per day, as a standard action, you may make use of two different class features at the same time as a standard action. This class feature counts as one use of each of the class features used.

Diverse Entity:
"You can't know how to do all that! Your brain would explode!"
-Thom, Wizard, after watching an Everyman put 10 different techniques into use in one minute

At 20th level, the Everyman's diversity reaches the point where his range of skill transforms him. His type changes to Outsider, with the Native subtype, and once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Everyman level, he may use any of his class features without expending any uses.

In concern to PrC Acess:

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do include PrC Access, the Everyman should meet the prerequisites for the PrC the feature is being drawn from. PrC Features should cost a number of Game Points equal to the minimum level a normal character would have to be to enter the PrC + the PrC class feature's level (ex. if a character wanted a 1st level feature from a PrC that a normal character could get into at 5th level at earliest, then that class feature would cost 5 + 1 = 6 Game Points.

Aran Banks
2010-08-13, 01:36 PM
so at level 1 I could pick up the red veil and Warding 1/day? (read: Put something in about PrC access)

Robert Blackletter
2010-08-13, 01:41 PM
I'm prob being blind but how many point per level dose he get

Thamior
2010-08-13, 02:00 PM
EVERYMAN

"That's just not possible!"
- Regdar, Fighter, after seeing a wizard-like Everyman punch out a burly troll twice his size

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....10 skills chosen by the player at character creation.
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d4

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Poor Saves|Good Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|2 game points

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|+2 game points

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|+3 game points

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|+4 game points

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|+5 game points

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|+6 game points

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|+7 game points

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|+8 game points

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|+9 game points

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|Duo Strike, +10 game points

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|+11 game points

12th|
+6|
+4|
+8|+12 game points

13th|
+6|
+4|
+8|+13 game points

14th|
+7|
+4|
+9|+14 game points

15th|
+7|
+5|
+9|+15 game points

16th|
+8|
+5|
+10|+16 game points

17th|
+8|
+5|
+10|+17 game points

18th|
+9|
+6|
+11|+18 game points

19th|
+9|
+6|
+11|+19 game points

20th|
+10|
+6|
+12|Diverse Entity, +20 game points[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Everyman is proficient with simple weapons, light armor, plus 3 martial weapons of the characters choice.

Game Points: At each level, an Everyman receives an amount of Game Points equal to his Everyman level(except 1st level, when they get two). Game Points are used to "buy" the class features that the Everyman gains from other classes. Purchasing rules are as listed here:

-Each class feature bought costs a number of Game points equal to the level when the original class would gain it. (Ex. 1st level spellcasting and Sneak Attack +1d6 cost 1 Game Point, while Wildshape(gained at 5th level) costs 5 Game Points)

-Game Points unused at one level can be carried over to the next (ex. an Everyman spends all her Game Points but one. She adds this to her pool of Game Points at the next level)

-All Game Points must be expended at 1st level.

-No matter how many Game Points an Everyman has, he cannot purchase a class feature that costs more Game Points than his Everyman level.

-The Everyman may not purchase any level 20 class features

-Game Points can also be used to purchase the following, with the following limits:

-+1 BAB per Game Point, but BAB cannot exceed HD
-+1 to any save, but save cannot be higher than a good save would be at that level
-+1d4 to HP per Game Point, can only be done twice per level

-If an Everyman wishes to obtain the improved version of a class feature, she must first must purchase the previous versions (ex. A character plans to purchase Wildshape 2/day(gained at 6th level). Since this is an improved class feature, she must first purchase Wildshape 1/day (5 Game Points), THEN purchase Wildshape 2/day(6 Game Points), costing a total of 11 Game Points)

- Although a character can purchase arcane spellcasting, divine spellcasting, manifesting levels, maneuvering levels,and levels of all other types of magic, the Everyman can only gain such levels from one class that uses that magic system( Ex. An Everyman wishes to purchase arcane spellcasting levels in sorcerer. She may do so, but afterwards cannot purchase spellcasting levels in any other class that uses arcane magic.)

Duo Strike:
"He done punched me, then his fist was on fire! It hurt me real bad, but he looked okay. I wouldn't mess with him if I was you"
- Grog, Half-Orc who got into a fist-fight with an Everyman

At 10th level, twice per day, as a standard action, you may make use of two different class features at the same time as a standard action. This class feature counts as one use of each of the class features used.

Diverse Entity:
"You can't know how to do all that! Your brain would explode!"
-Thom, Wizard, after watching an Everyman put 10 different techniques into use in one minute

At 20th level, the Everyman's diversity reaches the point where his range of skill transforms him. His type changes to Outsider, with the Native subtype, and once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Everyman level, he may use any of his class features without expending any uses.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 02:10 PM
Updates:

-Included Weapon & Armor Proficiencies

-Included Restriction on Base Classes, but also added Section on Rules for PrC Access

Thanks to Thamior for making a fancy-looking version of the class

Thamior
2010-08-13, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking certain class features should cost more or less than others, and some should only have to be bought once

[e] Trap sense should give the buyer access to the whole tier from +1-5 for only the base game point cost.

[e] lower grade spellcasting(such as bard or ranger) progression should be significantly less costly than the 9th degree progressions

This class has some sweet potential, once all main class features are balanced, players and dm's will basically be able to custom create their class through point buy.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 02:54 PM
@Thamior

-Unless I'm mistaken, Trap Sense should be covered by the base cost.

- For lower-level casting, you can always treat the first level they gain spellcasting as a 1st level feature, and the next as 2nd and so on.

You've basically grasped what the purpose of this class is: To make your own custom character. This class was originally invented by me so that my 3.5e group could have the kind of character they wanted, as some were taking way too many dips into other classes to get what they wanted, while others weren't satisfied with the combination of class features in other classes. So, yeah, this was made as a way to keep everyone happy

Thamior
2010-08-13, 03:02 PM
What i meant by the spellcasting thing was not the first level, compare16 levels of ranger to the first 16 levels of druid, druid is WAAAAAY better, so it is worth it at 1st level, but as time goes on, the cost for 4th and 6th degree progression becomes wasted. Ill work on crunching some numbers to measure out the exact difference in cost and associated power level. ...wait.....power level.....9000?

Thamior
2010-08-13, 03:04 PM
OH, and things such as adding one additional wild shape per day should cost less too, only the base cost should be paid in full, then maybe 1/2 cost for the rest or something like that.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 03:04 PM
With weaker features, I've found that -1 at each level of progression works, as long as you keep it so that the first level still costs 1 point. Did that for a guy who wanted a few levels of ranger spellcasting in my group and it seems to have worked out fine

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 03:07 PM
Regarding the additional cost for improvements, I've found that the class works fine. If you want, you could 1/2 the cost of each improvement, but I did a similar thing with this class when it was playtested, and it was just broken, with a capital B-R-O-K-E-N.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-13, 03:08 PM
So... this is flat out better than the sorcerer, because it can get casting as a sorcerer as normal, has higher HD, much better skills, and can choose any other 1st level class ability rather than crappy familiar? Oh, and then at 10th level he can cast 2 arcane thesises rather than 1 as a standard action.
The problem with this is that it can pick and choose what it wants from any class. And, rather than say, dipping 3 levels into swashbuckler to get int-to-damage, it can just use its 3rd level to do that. I could see someone making silly-broken builds with this class.

Thamior
2010-08-13, 03:08 PM
Yeah, looking on it now I can see how that could easily get out of hand.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 03:20 PM
Corrected the HP problem, class HD is now 1d4 see the class for details on how to improve HP.

@Gorgondantess:

I don't see much problem with the extra skills, nor the ability to exchange the familiar for another 1st class feature. I think the situation with the Swashbuckler 3rd level class feature is good, as many who have to dip into one class for one or two class features are often underpowered, and get many class features they never even wanted in the bargain.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-13, 03:39 PM
This seems... weird.
If you just pick your abilities and they stay for good, how is this not just class X or a multiclass? Additionally, you shouldn't be able to make a better sorcerer than the sorcerer. It's poor class desing.
If you can change game points daily then.... Uh oh. Game splintered into tiny little pieces. That would already happen though. "I'll use one game point to get casting as a level 1 sublime chord lol."
If it's a daily pool, then well. That problem, plus you're even more BAROOKEN!!!
Have you looked at the factotum? It's this, except balanced and with an intuitive point system.
But yeah, gorgondantess raised up the main problem. Better sorcerer than the sorcerer. This is not right. Sorcerer is good. You shouldn't be sorcerer+++.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 03:56 PM
@FrogDragon

The sorcerer+++, as it is termed, is essentially the sorcerer, with a few more skills, and potentially another 1st level class feature instead of a familiar. I realize overpowering is a concern, but it's not that much more powerful.

On the Sublime Chord, the class only draws from Base Classes, not PrCs. PrCs are done with special rules and at the DM's Discretion.

On the "Daily Pool".....not sure where you're getting that. Game Points that are expended on a certain class feature STAY expended. No shifting around.

I realize the factotum is many people's ideal "Jack of all Trades", but for the most part, not what me and my group have been looking for.

Morph Bark
2010-08-13, 06:12 PM
I think it would be best if spellcasting and similar things would be excluded from this. Don't use base classes' "natural abilities" (as in, class features that aren't specifically designated Ex, Su, Sp or Ps), but only use class features that are specifically designated Ex, Su, Sp or Ps, and allow them to pick one of those features at every level, picking a feature from all base classes' abilities of up to that level or lower?

Of course, abilities based off a previous ability must require that previous ability and abilities wouldn't auto-advance (you wouldn't get extra daily uses of rage for free for instance).

Gorgondantess
2010-08-13, 06:32 PM
Here's another thing: stacking low level abilities. At 3rd level, you can get maneuvers as a crusader, maneuvers as a warblade, and maneuvers as a swordsage, plus 4 more class points (let's say 2 fighter bonus feats and rage). That's just silly. Then 4th level brings you back up to full BAB. Then at 5th level you grab a least invocation, a major aura, and swordsage wis-to-AC. Then at 6th level you get casting as a 3rd level cleric.
Let's look at what we have so far:
+5 BAB
2 bonus feats
A boatload of maneuvers
Wis-to-AC
2nd level divine spells
Rage 1/day
A least invocation
A marshal's major aura

Do you see where I'm going with this? And the potential only increases as you go up in levels.

Fako
2010-08-13, 06:39 PM
While the concept is good, I agree that this is far too potent of a class. I know there's a clause to prevent stacking of maneuvers/spellcasting/psionics from multiple classes, but the points work under the assumption that all class abilities are equally powerful. Level 1 maneuvers cost just as much as a familiar does, which in turn cost as much as a fighter bonus feat... not exactly balanced...

If you have time, I'd suggest taking a look at Baron Corm's Build-A-Char Custom Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616). He splits the abilities into multiple subsections, allowing for a more balanced approach, IMO.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-13, 08:34 PM
@Gorgondantess: There's a part that prevents stacking of such things as maneuvers from other classes.

@Fako: I've never had problems before, because my group is more into roleplaying with D&D than optimizing, but I get the point.

Looks like Baron Corm's onto something. Looking at the build-a-char thread's given me some ideas for the Everyman, although I probably won't revise this until later.

Thanks for the link

Frog Dragon
2010-08-14, 03:46 AM
@FrogDragon

The sorcerer+++, as it is termed, is essentially the sorcerer, with a few more skills, and potentially another 1st level class feature instead of a familiar. I realize overpowering is a concern, but it's not that much more powerful.

On the Sublime Chord, the class only draws from Base Classes, not PrCs. PrCs are done with special rules and at the DM's Discretion.

On the "Daily Pool".....not sure where you're getting that. Game Points that are expended on a certain class feature STAY expended. No shifting around.

I realize the factotum is many people's ideal "Jack of all Trades", but for the most part, not what me and my group have been looking for.
How is this a jack of all trades then? He's only a jack of the trades he's expended game points for. Essentially, this is just not balanced at all and doesn't really fit the concept. What you have here is a chassis to build pretty much any single idea on.

Morph Bark
2010-08-14, 04:12 AM
@Fako: I've never had problems before, because my group is more into roleplaying with D&D than optimizing, but I get the point.

Your group probably also has a lot of trust among the players and the DM, but take in mind that not everyone has that and in other cases there are people who are more into the optimization part.

Also, inb4stormwind. Which is not what he said though, because there is a difference between "more into roleplaying with D&D than optimizing" than thinking "roleplaying and optimizing don't go together".

Fizban
2010-08-14, 06:37 AM
Here's another thing: stacking low level abilities. At 3rd level, you can get maneuvers as a crusader, maneuvers as a warblade, and maneuvers as a swordsage, plus 4 more class points (let's say 2 fighter bonus feats and rage). That's just silly. Then 4th level brings you back up to full BAB. Then at 5th level you grab a least invocation, a major aura, and swordsage wis-to-AC. Then at 6th level you get casting as a 3rd level cleric.
Let's look at what we have so far:
+5 BAB
2 bonus feats
A boatload of maneuvers
Wis-to-AC
2nd level divine spells
Rage 1/day
A least invocation
A marshal's major aura

Do you see where I'm going with this? And the potential only increases as you go up in levels.

While I agree that the class could be easily broken by someone who's determined, I think this is rather easy to fix, or at least nerf. Spellcasting, maneuver, invocations, and anything else that increases every level like that is obviously an improved ability. So 3rd level casting wouldn't be 3 points, it would be 6: 1+2+3. You can still jump to the higher point real fast, but you'll have to pay off the equivalent levels to get there. If you run it that way it's more like multiclassing on a point system. Still not friendly with the rest of the class system and easily breakable, but internally consistent. Of course, the best way to rate something is to actually build it, which is hard with a class that can copy anything, especially when if you try to test it against "the best" all you get is everything vs. wizard. For classes that don't get some sort of progression every level I think it's pretty good though, similar to class feature swap variants.

Pyromancer999
2010-08-14, 08:49 AM
Currently, I think I'm going to separate class features into different categories, and then say that class features in category X cost Y Game Points per level.

Thoughts on this?

Pyromancer999
2010-08-15, 09:11 AM
Changed 1st level so that it only has 1 Game Point. Categories for class features pending.

Thamior
2010-08-15, 12:08 PM
I completely agree with the class feature categories.

dystriem
2010-09-07, 04:29 PM
So I like the overall style of this class, but I also agree on the thought that the features listed can be abused. And in that regard I wanted to know about taking a class feature multiple times.

For instance, fight bonus feats, can I just take the lvl 1 bonus feat a couple times or would I have to pay for them progressively, ie 1point for 1st, 2 points for the next and so on? Ditto for things like the rogue special abilities starting at lvl 10. Or as another example can I take lvl 1 socerer 2 times and double the number of lvl 0 and 1 spells known and slots per day?