PDA

View Full Version : Bibliography - Character Design Contest

Pages : 1 [2]

licoot
2010-10-24, 02:41 PM
I don't think they're 6's though. It's about how they're aligned, it looks more like a symbol than numbers.

anyway 666 way never supposed to be the number of the devil until a film a while ago, i can't remember which so I'm not going to embarrass myself by getting it wrong. I also can't remember what the actual number is though:smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-24, 02:42 PM
anyway 666 way never supposed to be the number of the devil until a film a while ago, i can't remember which so I'm not going to embarrass myself by getting it wrong. I also can't remember what the actual number is though:smalltongue:

503? Thanks, Dan Brown.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 02:52 PM
...huh? It's traditionally 666, though some of the earliest sources give it as 616.

licoot
2010-10-24, 03:21 PM
...huh? It's traditionally 666, though some of the earliest sources give it as 616.
no, it was on QI

Prime32
2010-10-24, 03:29 PM
no, it was on QIhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

licoot
2010-10-24, 03:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Just checked according to QI it was originally 616

Prime32
2010-10-24, 03:36 PM
Just checked according to QI it was originally 616It says that in the article. :smallconfused: And what is QI?

Revlid
2010-10-24, 03:41 PM
It says that in the article. :smallconfused: And what is QI?QI stands for Quite Interesting, a quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry based around quite interesting bits of information and misinformation. It's more common for a contestant to finish with negative points than positive.

As for the 616/666 schism - that's largely a matter of opinion. The original translations say it's 666, some later ones claim it's actually 616. No-one can be totally certain. 666 was likely chosen because it is by far the better known option.

licoot
2010-10-24, 03:46 PM
QI stands for Quite Interesting, a quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry based around quite interesting bits of information and misinformation. It's more common for a contestant to finish with negative points than positive.

As for the 616/666 schism - that's largely a matter of opinion. The original translations say it's 666, some later ones claim it's actually 616. No-one can be totally certain. 666 was likely chosen because it is by far the better known option.

I just realized most my general knowledge comes from a TV show:smallsigh:

Silverraptor
2010-10-24, 04:45 PM
Just checked according to QI it was originally 616

Huh. And all this time I thought it was 626...>.>

Elagune
2010-10-25, 02:24 AM
After reading the main thread a little, I realize I'm probably going to close this contest down. There's a bit of a legal gray area here, one that I don't really want to go treading into.

If I ever do end up being paid well for my work, I don't want to get sued over it.

Zefir
2010-10-25, 02:32 AM
Just a question if we grant you full rights on the chars we made would that leave these grey area?

Cyborg Mage
2010-10-25, 02:34 AM
Hey, fire away. I don't want any money for this.

Fayd
2010-10-25, 09:39 AM
After reading the main thread a little, I realize I'm probably going to close this contest down. There's a bit of a legal gray area here, one that I don't really want to go treading into.

If I ever do end up being paid well for my work, I don't want to get sued over it.

Completely reasonable. However, I do give you full rights to the character you've already drawn. It's as much your work as mine, and ... yeah. I promise not to sue.

Prime32
2010-10-25, 09:57 AM
If you ever use my character submissions... you own them. I will not come after you, even if they make you a billionaire.

HalfTangible
2010-10-25, 10:19 AM

You stated quite clearly that these were going to be used in your work, why would that be gray? It's a character creation contest, you have every right to use the chars here

licoot
2010-10-25, 10:19 AM
Completely reasonable. However, I do give you full rights to the character you've already drawn. It's as much your work as mine, and ... yeah. I promise not to sue.

I assume this is the problem, saying you promise not to sue doesn't mean you won't, there's no real way of guaranteeing someone won't either.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-25, 10:33 AM
hum... Now where's that "I agree" checkbox?

Sanguine
2010-10-25, 10:41 AM
I am saddened that the character contest will be closed. However I fully understand your desire to protect yourself legally.

John Cribati
2010-10-25, 11:33 AM
I was joking about demanding money if you publish. I just want some props, at most.

Crafty Cultist
2010-10-25, 11:54 AM
Thats a shame. I hope you'll still take a look at my character though.

Fayd
2010-10-25, 12:12 PM
I assume this is the problem, saying you promise not to sue doesn't mean you won't, there's no real way of guaranteeing someone won't either.

Well, then have them mail me a contract, I'll sign and get it notarized. Really.

EDIT: By "them" I mean the people (GaijinManga or Elagune) who would need this sort of thing. (Edit 2: I can spell... honest...)

Revlid
2010-10-25, 12:13 PM

If I ever do end up being paid well for my work, I don't want to get sued over it.Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted. I fully understand your desire for legal security.

That said;

I, Charles Daniel Raspin, a.k.a. Username Revlid, do hereby relinquish any and all legal claim to the intellectual property of the fictional characters Marlo LeMane, Garnie Piper and Paomo Li. These rights are transferred, effective retroactively from their original submission on 18/08/2010, to Cody Shaw, a.k.a. Username Elagune, as noted in the "Bibliography - Character Design Contest" thread of the "Giant in the Playground Forums". Best wishes.
And you can screencap that.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 03:52 PM
You can use my character too, if yuo accept her.

Crafty Cultist
2010-10-25, 04:28 PM
I'd do one of those statement thingies to if you need. or you could stick a legal disclaimer on the first page. just a thought

licoot
2010-10-25, 04:32 PM
I'd do one of those statement thingies to if you need. or you could stick a legal disclaimer on the first page. just a thought

I think that this is actually quite a good idea, i mean if thers a way to make the entrees legally yours, why not still use the character contest

Fayd
2010-10-25, 05:04 PM
The problem I see with that (and it is a good idea) is that it makes the situation more gray for entries posted before the first post was changed to include the new legal wording. Someone could theoretically raise a problem on that ground. ... I think. Haven't gotten to law school yet.

HalfTangible
2010-10-25, 05:06 PM
The problem I see with that (and it is a good idea) is that it makes the situation more gray for entries posted before the first post was changed to include the new legal wording.

Include that the paragraph there needs to be included in your post? Or say that you need to post it yourself somewhere in the thread for each character you submit?

I, the undersigned, hereby relinquish blah blah blah ?

licoot
2010-10-25, 05:22 PM
Include that the paragraph there needs to be included in your post? Or say that you need to post it yourself somewhere in the thread for each character you submit?

I, the undersigned, hereby relinquish blah blah blah ?

couldn't Elegune simply post a new thread or just post here, and put a disclaimer in that post/thread and say that all previous entries have been taken out. Then make people re-post the names of the accepted/not decided characters with a link to their original post. Then they would be entered after the disclaimer.

Kasanip
2010-10-26, 09:00 AM

Maybe law is different in my country I think some. I have made character for friend's comic, so it is ok I think. If I draw 同人誌 of [Bibliography] I don't know if it is problem. So not to try I think.

But please use Koko freely. :smallredface: :smallsmile:

memnarch
2010-10-26, 09:55 PM
The age range is if you want a high schooler or a college student. From what I've seen, there's not that much difference besides the lack of parents.

PAGE
Name: Kennet Wara
Age Range: 16-26

Personality: A quiet guy who wants to become a pharmacist. He likes to listen to what people say and encourages people to talk about themselves. Kind and thoughtful, Kennet tries to help everyone he can, humans and pages alike.

Likes: the outdoors, building things, chocolate-covered fruit, flying
Dislikes: being confined, rap and other talking “songs”, seeing other people die

Codex: Phoenix Codex – Firebirds
When death occurs, the page is reborn on the spot with only a few of the strongest memories of the past life. Reborn pages mature much faster than normal humans. They also regenerate slowly from injuries of any sort, similar to a starfish. Any help outside the phoenix codex does not affect recovery rate however. There is also a slight raise in temperature around firebirds due to the nature their flaming wings.

Some spells:

Spell 6 "Everlasting Phoenix Feather"
The user pulls a feather from his/her plumage and crushes it in the palm of his/her hand(s). The feather turns to powder which then is thrown at the target, restoring their body to its typical level of equilibrium.

Spell 17 “Flight of the Caged Bird”
The user’s wings become solid and are capable of flight. The maneuverability is pretty good, but not quite as good as a hummingbird.

Spell 48 “Fire Bird”
The user creates a great fire between clasped hands then shoots it at the target in the shape of a giant bird. Sparks trail behind and fade after a couple seconds.

[Character picture to come.]
[Codex symbol to come.]

http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by/3.0/88x31.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
Memnarch,
with the understanding that Elagune, a.k.a. Cody Shaw, and ONLY Elagune a.k.a. Cody Shaw, does NOT need to give any recognition in any form to Memnarch.

Original post edited as well. Does that work for you Elagune?

Zefir
2010-11-02, 03:26 AM
So how is the status Elagune? As you see most people give you full use of the ideas. So I think there is no problem left, right?

LibrarianHuntar
2011-12-05, 07:45 PM
Behold, this is created as random art. It should not be considered a part of Bibliography manga unless Cody Shaw puts it in. It has all the value of scribbles on paper.

Character
Codex Wielder
Name: Walker
Age Range: Teenager (for a long time)

Personality:
Usually calm, but with a bit of a temper. Very intelligent, with a quick mind and wit.

History:The page known only as

Weapons:
1. "Aura Field" - Pure Aura Converter
Aura Field is a Whitebox Weapon takes the form of a patch with a flame like symbol on it when not in use. It enables Walker to transform his aura into magical flames which can burn through living beings without harming their surroundings. He can shape these aura flames as he desires, but they stop moving at about ten meters. They dissipate if he runs out of aura or becomes very distracted.
2. "Aura Guardians Armor" - Armor
A Whitebox Weapon that resembles high tech medieval armor. It boosts his strength, lets him shoot blasts, and has three technique slots, which are stylized versions of codex spells which he's absorbed using the energy withdrawal technique. These can all be used three times.

Normal Mode, max Power
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/730/tek4edd650a6a4ec8980991.png
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/406/tek4edd5d0d542ac3516775.png
Knights Armor
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6898/tek4edd60f8d479a4607285.png
Full Power
By combing them, feel the power of the Aura Guardian Field!
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8860/tek4edd5c5b6991e2327102.png
The Sigil of the Aura Guardian
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/28397/Magic_Circle_by_Vylen.png

Silverraptor
2011-12-05, 08:08 PM
First, Thread Necromancy.
Second, Competition is closed.
Third, Bibliography is currently on hiatus to begin at an unspecified amount of time.

I'm sorry.