PDA

View Full Version : Bibliography - Character Design Contest

Pages : [1] 2

Elagune
2010-08-14, 12:11 AM
Hello, creative peoples of the Arts and Crafts forum!

I am currently in need of character designs for my webcomic, Bibliography. For those of you who don't know about it, the link is in my signature. Of course, it's not necessary for you to read it to submit your character, but there are a lot of concepts in the comic that would be hard for me to explain in a forum post.

Basically, the contest is like this. I give out a concept, and you submit a character that fills the criteria. If I decide to use the character, you'll get a black and white picture drawn by me of the character itself, as well as acknowledgement within the comic. Also, if you submit a character, please realize that I might use the character in my comic. I'm not sure about the legal ramifications of this or whatever, but I sure hope you don't decide to sue. :smalleek:

You may submit as many characters as you wish, for whichever criteria you wish. There could be more than one winner, or no winners at all. The characters that I feel fit and are necessary will be picked. Also, please realize that if certain details need to be changed in order to fit the story better, I will change them, so your character might not be completely the same once integrated into the comic.

Please keep character submission layouts to something like this. The more detail there is, the better. What I have here is the bare minimum. No backstories, please. Any art submitted should be your own, and it doesn't matter how good your art is as long as the concept is interesting - that's what I'm here for.

Sigil-Holder example:

SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: John Doe
Age Range: Teenager

Personality:
Average kid. Enjoys playing videogames and baseball. Has a bit of a bed-wetting problem, but he doesn't want anybody to know.

Weapons:
1. "HOMERUN KING" - Baseball-bat
A bat-like weapon. Any object about the size of a car and smaller hit by the Homerun King will be sent flying. The better the user is at baseball, the more powerful the Homerun King is.
2. "MINDSTATION PORTABLE" - Portable game console
A Whitebox Weapon that resembles a portable game console. By sticking the receiver on somebody, the user may manipulate that person's actions by playing on the portable game console. The better the user is at videogames, the more powerful the Mindstation Portable is.

[Insert Character picture here.]
[Insert Sigil symbol here.]
[Insert weapon pictures here.]

PAGE
Name: John Doe

Personality:
Average kid. Enjoys playing videogames and baseball. Has a bit of a bed-wetting problem, but he doesn't want anybody to know.

Codex: FREEZING CODEX - SNOWFOLK
Strengths: Ability to withstand cold weather with no ill effects.
Weakness: Unable to withstand hot weather.

Spells:
1. "FROZEN AEGIS"
The user creates a snowflake-shaped ice shield that blocks incoming attacks.
2. "ICE BLAST"
The user fires a small ice bullet at the enemy.

[Insert Codex symbol here.]

CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR:

LIBRARIANS
Librarians are generally in their twenties or older, and operate as a sort of police force in Tiltstone in regards to Page activities. They are almost universally Sigil-Holders, although there are Pages within the Librarians' employ.

TEENAGE PAGES
Teenage pages come in all flavours, like normal teens. Generally at this level their powers have not fully-developed, and they are still understanding the extent of what they are capable of.

CHILDREN
Children who have grown up awakened and aware of the world of Pages. If Sigil-Holders, their weapons aren't very developed and seek no specific attribute. If Pages, they have barely come to understand the power they hold.

ACCEPTED:

Charlie Wright (Michael Avius) (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/1.png) - Herpestidae
Opal Fisher (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/2.png) - Kurama
Steven Mackintosh (William Mackintosh) - Fayd (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/3.png)
Koko Kozuka - Kasanip (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/4.png)
Flora Grandston - Herpestidae
Garnie Piper - Revlid (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/5.png)
Marlo LeMane - Revlid
Iguruai Hood - Zefir

Jokasti
2010-08-14, 12:31 AM
Sounds awesome. Count me in.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-14, 12:40 AM
I'll see if I can do something.

Herpestidae
2010-08-14, 01:29 AM
PAGE
Name: Michael Avius

Personality:
A bit eccentric. Adventurous and immature.

Codex: ZEPHYR CODEX - HARPIES
Strengths: Agility, Speed, Flight, Weather Resistance
Weakness: Weakened Bones.

Spells:
1. "FEATHER STORM"
The user flaps his wings, sending feather flechettes at the enemy.
2. "WING SHIELD"
The user's wings become heavy and indestructible. The user can move them, but is unable to fly while the spell is in effect.
3. "SCREECH"
Sonic Attack.
4: "FEATHER BLADE"
The user removes a feather, which grows into a sword.

True Form: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/0120/1cfc889.png
"Human" Form: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/0125/710e637.png
Codex Symbol: Feathers in an X with a Beak in the center.

Prime32
2010-08-14, 08:59 AM
Is it okay to submit characters who are mid-Descent?

And is this too much backstory? I just came across an Italian name and wanted to explain it.

PAGE
Name: Armida Costone.
Age Range: Mid-30s

Personality:
Grouchy and unsociable, Armida isn't what you'd expect from a member of her codex. She typically uses her powers to enhance her "get out of here I'm working" glare. Not that she doesn't take some pride in her appearance, being sure to wear clothing that emphasises her "assets". She's never been that close to her family - her grandparents (now deceased) were Pages who moved to the US from Italy, and believed in inducting every daughter of the family into the Codex.

Codex: TEMPTATION CODEX - SUCCUBUS
Strengths: Ability to manipulate peoples' impressions.
Weaknesses: Wings and tail are highly sensitive to pain, turns into a giant ape on the full moon No, wait.

Spells:
Armida finds "lovey-dovey" spells demeaning, and prefers to avoid them. Her tail is unusually dextrous, and she often uses it to hold drinks, etc.
16. "NOBODY"
The user becomes inconspicuous and not worthy of attention. No one will remember them passing unless they do something noteworthy. Less effective on Pages. Members of the All-Seeing Codex are immune to this spell.
23. "MASK OF SIN"
The user hypnotises their target into seeing them as someone else. This functions only on a single person at a time, and does not work on anyone who is Awakened. This spell also ends if the user's true identity is pointed out to the victim.
24. "BLACK WINGS"
The user's wings increase in size, enabling flight. Combined with Spell #16, viewers will mistake the user for a bird unless they look closely.
Wanted to see a succubus different to that slut Kim. :smalltongue:

Kopaka
2010-08-14, 10:09 AM
*interest*

I'll try and come up with something later...

Geno9999
2010-08-14, 11:30 AM
I've been reading your comic, and I really like it. Here's a bit of a twist on the All-seeing Lexicon...

PAGE
Name: Poly P. Mus

Personality:
No nonsense attitude, stubborn, and a bit emotional, which usually appears to be a short-tempter. He often like sports, like football, and is very good at them due to his strength. If anyone cracks a "Cyclopes have no depth perception" joke within a mile, not matter how quiet, be assured that Poly will appear right behind them before beating the poor sucker into a pulp. He's a bit of an odd fit for All-seeing Lexicon, but he provides some needed muscle to the group.

Codex: ALL-SEEING? (Can be changed) LEXICON - Cyclops
Strengths: Super Strength, Master Craftsmen, Laser Eye Beams.
Weakness: Only one eye, unlike other All-Seeing pages and doesn't gain the third and fourth eyes. (And being subject to "Cyclopes have no depth perception" jokes, which is Poly's pet peeve.

Spells: Due to the unique nature of Poly's condition, he doesn't have access to most spells, mostly because they require third and fourth eyes to use. However, Poly tries to master any of the Ocular spells he can use.
#41 Ocular Blade: Creates a giant sword with an eye on it. Because of Poly's strength, its blows are devastating.
#2 Lens Flash: A laser beam shoots out of Poly's good eye.
#5 Lens Flare: A bright beam that erupts from Poly's eye, temporarily blinding opponents. Poly prefers not to use this, as he considers it a cowardly tactic.

Appearance/Fluff: Poly normally appears to be a tall, blond, brutish teen with a eye patch over his left eye. Even to most pages, his codex is rather surprising, due to the common requirement of both eyes. For unknown circumstances, only his left eye was required of him and did not gain a third and fourth eye, however some have speculated that his right eye was replaced before his awakening as a page. Another theory was that his right eye is his third eye, and the fourth is hidden under his eye patch. Because of these theories, there have been some attempts made by pages to sneak into Poly's room, and remove the eye patch without waking up Poly. This, predictably, has resulted in Poly sending more than half-dozen mischievous pages to the hospital ward. On the little off time he has, he puts it into sculptures, mostly metal.

Elagune
2010-08-14, 12:43 PM
Hmmm. I'm liking some of these, especially the Harpy. You don't mind if I change the name, do you? There's already a character named Michael in the comic.

Having an image really helps me out guys. Even if it's just something like a stick figure, I can work with it. Doesn't have to be a masterpiece as long as I get to see the character. How did you manage to generate your character, Herp?

Prime32
2010-08-14, 01:22 PM
How did you manage to generate your character, Herp?http://www.tektek.org/dream/

I tried using it, but couldn't really come close to the image in my head.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Other/edcb910.png

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-14, 01:25 PM
He used the Gaia Dream Avatar (http://www.tektek.org/dream/).
Is it still open?

EDIT: I hate ninjas...and my lack of concentration on posting quickly:smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2010-08-14, 01:32 PM
Hmmm... I'm enjoying the idea. And I really want to use my use my three Bibliography ITP characters, as boring as that may sound.

I'll post them up soon.

Viera Champion
2010-08-14, 02:02 PM
Here you go. I'll have Kurama's Image up in a sec.

Pages

Name: Opal Fisher
Age Range: Teenager 14-16

Personality: She is the stereotypical teenage girl. She is incredibly friendly and talkative. She also like animals, shopping, and manga.

Codex of the All-Seeing Eye
Strengths: Due to her floating eyes, scouting and gaining knowledge are her talents.

Weaknesses: She has no eyes. Obviously something she needs to make sure she hides from regular humans.*

Spell 1 Blink: Teleports her to any spot within her line of sight.

Spell 2 Ocular Blade: One of her eyes transforms into a sword that she can use.

Appearance: http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/jokasti/Opal2.jpg

Codex Symbol: I believe the All Seeing symbol is just an eye, but you know it

Kurama

Personality: Cool and collected. It is very difficult to anger him, and he rarely shows when he is irritated. He loathed fighting, and rarely does so unless he either absolutely has to or he is fighting to protect others, or fighting evil.

The Knight's Codex
Head of the Chapter of Templars
Strengths: Excellent at sword fighting.

Weaknesses: Fails miserably in social situations. Also, due to his hatred of violence, he often ends up seriously wounded before he ever actually does anything.

Spell 1 Warhorse: Summons an armored horse that he can ride.

Spell 2 Crossbow: Fires one or more crossbow bolts from his palm

Spell 3 Great Shield: Summons a large shield to protect himself from attacks.

Image: Have it up soon.

Codex Symbol: The symbol of the Knight's Codex is two crossing swords in front of a shield.

Geno9999
2010-08-14, 03:50 PM
Got another page idea:

Name: Fassad
Age: Unknown, but acts as if it's from at least the early 1900's
Personality: A very mischievous and immature person, and practical joker. He doesn't take a lot of stuff seriously, not even missions. However, if his friends are endangered, he drops his jokes and acts focused on saving them.

Codex: SHADOW CODEX - GHOST
Strengths: Can become Intangible at will, allowing him to go through walls. Also has some Telekinesis.
Weakness: Unable to touch or manipulate religious objects. Powers are also not as strong in broad daylight.
Spells:
#4; Shadow Punch: Creates a giant fist that smashes its target.
#6; False Sight: Fassad's favorite spell. It creates illusions, with it's effectiveness varying on the wielder's skills. However, if the wielder loses focus, the illusions will disappear.
#24; Mirror Match: Creates a illusionary copy of either the target or the wielder. While it is an illusion, it still can hurt the target. Depending on the skill of the wielder, the copy will be as close to the original as it can be, with unskilled copies looking very distorted and be fragile. Once again, if Fassad loses focus, the illusion will fade out of existence.

Appearance/Fluff: Fassad looks like a carnival magician, with his handlebar mustache, white suit, cape and top hat. In fact, that's what he was... before he died. For the most part, the Shade Codex rarely takes in living people, mostly choosing half-dying or already dead people. Fassad is such a (un)lucky soul, taken in when he died from an unexpected accident on-stage. With his new-found abilities, Fassad was overjoyed, as it seemed to be the perfect fit for him. However, he eventually realized that he never aged: He still looks the same, right down to his suit and top hat. As a result, he could only watch as one by one his loved ones die. To cope with this, he cracks jokes often.

Codex symbol: A Skull that's divided into white and black.

I'll try to post Fassad and Poly's picture later.

Herpestidae
2010-08-14, 03:56 PM
Hmmm. I'm liking some of these, especially the Harpy. You don't mind if I change the name, do you? There's already a character named Michael in the comic.

By all means. I just chose "Michael" as a placeholder name, really. You can change up the color of the wings/talons if you want. I could only find black Talons at the site, so I gave him black wings to match.

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-14, 05:40 PM
So we should make up our own spells if we want a character in a codex of which we have yet to see characters? Hope I have some time in the near future to do this :smalltongue:

http://bibliocomic.wikispaces.com/Codex
Are the Codise listed here all that exist in Bibliography, or...?

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-14, 06:06 PM
So, I made this guy from the Death Codex. Maybe I've put too much background info in there, but I couldn't resist...:smallbiggrin:

PAGE
Name: Christopher Cocytus
Age Range: Young teenager.

Personality:
Chris is a quiet boy, and one will hardly ever see him talking. Despite being a Reaper, he doesn’t like to kill (he’s actually afraid of his own powers). Chris lives alone, because he fears that people around him will die (again). His past full of deaths led him to become a sad and sorrowful person, and all he wishes is that he could finally rest. He tries to not get involved in Chapters’ Businesses and prefers to live far from other Pages.

Codex: DEATH CODEX - REAPER
Strengths: A Reaper cannot die, or become unconscious in any way. :smallsmile:
Weaknesses: A Reaper cannot die, or become unconscious in any way. :smallfrown:

Spells:
Christopher doesn’t train his offensive powers, since he fears that more people will die because of him.
1. "Summon Specter"
The user calls the specter of a dead person. The specter isn’t actually that person’s soul, but just a memory vestige in the users mind projected into the real world. Hence, the specter can’t talk about things that it didn’t know while it’s alive. Most of the times, it’s a really depressing Spell, since it’s mainly used to remember about loved people that are now dead. As Chris can’t sleep (and thus dream), he is kind of addicted to this Spell, using it all the time he can to stay with his family once more.
2. "Death’s Call"
One of the most powerful spells of the Death Codex. Spirits of the fallen rise to haunt every single living creature in a huge area. Those affected by the Spell enter in a state of hallucination, in which they keep seeing the spirits of the dead people they knew. The spirits will blame them for their deaths and try to make them kill themselves. During the duration of the Spell (which may vary), the affected creatures cannot move, and will stay quivering and staring at some random point. Until now, Chris has only used this Spell instinctively, and he doesn’t want to do it again.

Appearance:
Christopher is a pale boy with long black hair (probably uncut because he thinks it’s useless). He doesn’t care about his clothes and they are always dirty and shredded. The only difference from a human that an awakened individual would notice is the completely black eyes that reflect no light. He is always surrounded by small spirits. Gaia Avatars:

As viewed by a regular human:
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/1507/6d29775.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/38957961)

As viewed by an awakened individual:
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/1513/2709573.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/38958091)

"DEATH'S CALL!!"
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/1500/7da1849.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/38957805)

Codex Symbol:
The Death Codex is represented by a sickle.

Fayd
2010-08-14, 10:25 PM
I had an idea at work today! What do you guys think?

Sigil-Holder
Name: William Mackintosh
Age Range: Adult/Librarian
Personality: Cold, detached, caustically sarcastic. All-business attitude, which suits his multinational computing empire just fine. Some believe he works for the good of the world. Some believe he secretly runs at least some of the Page (and non-Page) gangs, working for some greater evil. Still others believe he is just working for himself... Currently aligned with Tiltstone's Librarians.

Weapons
"Model CX-LIV" - State-of-the-Art Laptop Computer.
William is unique in the form and structure of his Whitebox Weapon in 3 primary ways: 1. It tends to stay more in "Revealed" form than Sigil Form. 2. Mortals can see the "Revealed" Form of Model CX-LIV, though any effects it creates (beyond those of a normal computer) are invisible to the unawakened. 3. His other sigils do not form independent weapons, but rather modules and extensions to Model CX-LIV.

Extremely powerful data gathering tool in it's unmodified state. Capable of the abilities, strengths, and weaknesses of Pages and Abyssals in instants. Also works as a normal computer... custom OS though. Evolves to stay state of the art. By inserting different program discs, USB extensions, or other devices (read: his other sigils), new abilities are able to be used. Capabilities improve with William's computer skills, as well as obtaining more sigils.

Sample discs/extensions include:

Graphic-Shop Pro: By using the on board camera and photo editing tools, capable of affecting the environment and people. Think Okami, except with Photoshop instead of a brush. Add fire, something catches fire. Copy a part of the image, make a clone.

Aethernet Cable: By connecting to a network, the Model CX-LIV gains the capability to take control of any connected device, far and above the devices' usual capabilities (even becoming ambulatory)

Anaconda: Creates Apps (short for Applications, which are specialized constructs) that obey the given instructions and parameters in the code created by the Anaconda program.

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d14/2222/d8e0585.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/38968089)

Of course, to normal people, the laptop won't be levitating, but...

What do you guys think?

Eldrys
2010-08-14, 11:35 PM
You, good sir, are made of win.

Elagune
2010-08-15, 12:32 AM
Herp, I love the Harpy concept - that's the first one I've okayed. His new name will be Charlie Wright, and I've pretty much got the concept art ready for him already. There will be some major changes, but I hope you'll like how I interpreted him.

Opal is an in. I've been looking for more members of the All-Seeing Codex. There'll be some changes, though. The All-Seeing Codex gives all members false eyes that help them blend into society. I'll also be giving her original spells - don't want to have to reuse too many.

William Mackintosh is also in - this concept is complete win. I might change his first name, but other than that he's perfect. His weapon's power might be downgraded a little bit as well, and rather than head of his own company he might simply be a programmer.

Poly P. Mus is a maybe at the moment.

Christopher Cocytus's theme is... well, runs contrary to what I have in mind for the story at the moment. I don't really want to give anything away, but I like the character. Unfortunately, he has to be rejected.

Fayd
2010-08-15, 12:43 AM
William Mackintosh is also in - this concept is complete win. I might change his first name, but other than that he's perfect. His weapon's power might be downgraded a little bit as well, and rather than head of his own company he might simply be a programmer.

Ooh! Sounds fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, I decided that scaling down is much easier than scaling up, so... yeah. And my suggestion for name is a reference to both big computer companies, in case people missed it. (William = Bill (Gates), and Mackintosh... well... yeah.)

Jokasti
2010-08-15, 01:39 AM
SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Taren
Age Range: Late 20s

Personality:
Outgoing, charismatic, friendly. Helps friends in a tight spot, and doesn't like killing, but he's pretty good (ok, maybe just decent) at it. Short term memory loss means he forgets important things until about a week later. Born and raised in France, took a vacation to Tiltstone and fell in love with Canada (especially snow, so he lurves Freezing Pages). Romantic. Sees the world differently than others. His left pinky is as though from an old black and white movie: he gave it's color to his love back in France who was blind so that she could see, but she left him. It's a sore subject. Don't mention the pinky. Seriously. I know you're thinking about doing it to see what happens. I warned you. He could probably be gay if you want.

Weapons:
1. "PIQUANT DES ARC-EN-CIEL - Paintbrush
A small handheld object that can shift form from anything that can write, from a pencil to a paintbrush to a Tablet pen. Grants powers based on words, paintings and drawings. The more attuned to the Piquant the user is, the more shapes it can take and the more effective it's powers are. For example, a novice could draw a flower and a cartoony flower might appear, but a master could draw a single leaf and have a forest appear. Usually benefits and affects are temporary, but the user if attuned enough can take some of his own color to make it permanent.
2. "SCARF OF *BALANCE" - Neck warming device
Mostly stays in active form, unless the user is wielding an unfabulous set of clothes. Can stretch and entangle, act as two extra arms, do more stuff the more attuned the user is. User has total balance.
3. "HAT OF THIEVES" - Cranium shielding weapon
Usually is in beret form. Where there is beautiful art, there are people that want to steal it. This grants the wielder more thief based powers based on how attuned the are: hiding behind small objects, lockpicking, safecracking, knifethrowing, magic eye lasers, etc. You know, normal thief stuff.

[Insert Character picture here.] Later
[Insert Sigil symbol here.] Later
[Insert weapon pictures here.] Later

PAGE
Name: Jess
Age Range: Teenager (17)

Personality:
Normal teenage girl. Lives with her mom, Tiamat, title page of the Dragon Codex. Fiery attitude, but stable as a rock for her friends. She seems whispy at times, and moves very fluidly. Strong like an oak, but bendy like a willow. She embodies the Five Dragons (Spirit of the Codex) all in a post pubescent teenage female body.

Appearance: Short and with curly dark golden brown hair. Piercing green eyes. Has fangs and night vision. Occasionally, she will puff out some smoke or bubbles, levitate slightly, or find seeds and dirt in her pockets.

Codex: DRAGON CODEX - THE DRAGONS
Strengths: Other chapters take powers from one of the five dragons, but she is balanced and gets strengths and weaknesses from all.
Weakness: has a hoard that they must protect. jess' is her jewels and gemstones.

Spells:
04 Exhalation of the Fire Dragon
(Breathes fire. Variations change the thing breathed)
17 Flight of the Air Dragon
(Grants wings. The more experienced the Dragon, the longer they can keep them up)
22 Life of the Wood Dragon
(Heals a little. Jess doesn't have much practice with this)
35 Claws of the Water Dragon
(Claws. Variations allow longer, more or less, and stronger claws.)
42 Scales of the Earth Dragon
(Grants a protective skin that can deflect bullets and most other things. However it doesn't last long)

[Insert Character picture here.] Later
[Insert Codex symbol here.] Later

...Bibliography would be the best video game ever.
Edit: Taren would be a cool way to add a bit of color to it.

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-15, 02:20 AM
Christopher Cocytus's theme is... well, runs contrary to what I have in mind for the story at the moment. I don't really want to give anything away, but I like the character. Unfortunately, he has to be rejected.

Yeah, I thought he was kinda dark for Shounen. But well, he popped up in my mind. What was I supposed to do? Throw him away? :smalltongue:

I'd totally create another character (more in theme) if I could find a way to awesome or funny and don't change into the dark and tragic path halfway. :smallsigh:

Elagune
2010-08-15, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I thought he was kinda dark for Shounen. But well, he popped up in my mind. What was I supposed to do? Throw him away? :smalltongue:

I'd totally create another character (more in theme) if I could find a way to awesome or funny and don't change into the dark and tragic path halfway. :smallsigh:

It's got nothing to do with the darkness. Bibliography can get a little dark at times. Rather, it's got to do with his Codex.

Can't say more than that.

Felyndiira
2010-08-15, 02:51 AM
Here's my entry. The character appearance was a 5-minute quickie art made with a mouse, so please excuse its poor quality.

PAGE
Name: Mishika Prism
Age Range: Youth (~12)

Personality:
Timid, kind, with just a dash of playfulness. Mishika is the type of girl you'd see comforting children that are bullied, but too shy to defend them directly. Generally, she has no trouble making friends on her own, although her kindness has sometimes prompted others to take advantage of her. Her initiation as a page occured by chance rather than by choice, and although she has never revealed her powers to anyone else, she often feels compelled to use her spells - especially trance - to help her friends, sometimes even exhausting her stamina in the process. When she is alone, she tends to be an avid reader of books and manga, and would often imagine herself - sometimes aloud - in the shoes of her favorite characters.

In anime terms, Mishika is the token loli.

Codex: DREAM CODEX - PHANTASM
Strengths: Empathy, and can make small changes to appearances and their immediate surroundings as if masked by an illusion.
Weakness: Physically fragile and weak. Phantasms are surrounded by prismatic ribbons that are visible only to pages, making it difficult for the phantasm to hide from other pages.

Spells:
#13: "TRANQUILITY"
The user surrounds the targets with illusory butterflies. For a length of time depending on the page's experience, the targets becomes drowsy and dull, hampering their movements and senses as they struggle to fight off their desire to fall asleep. Is typically less effective on more powerful pages, and does not function against another page of the dream codex. Can also be used to aid sleep, and against weaker targets, may induce sleep.
#20: "TRANCE"
The user taps into the target's subconscious, removing his/her fatigue and placing him/her into a sharpened state. The target's mental capacity and dexterity are both increased, and his/her spells benefit from a temporarily improved effect. For more advanced pages of the dream codex, trance may enable the target to temporarily chain spells, or chain one more spell than usual.
#29: "DREAMSCAPE"
The user creates a dream-like landscape that overlays an area. Within the landscape, dream-like apparitions of strange creatures appear, and some objects objects vanish from sight. Buildings and other objects seemingly transform into prismatic structures that change shapes and sizes. Dreamscape is most often used to confuse targets, although the user maintains some degree of control over her illusion.
#50: "DREAM CATCHER"
The user touches a sleeping target, and a large symbol, in the shape of a dream catcher, is projected from the target's head. His/her dreams, strongest memories, and sometimes surfect thoughts are constantly played in the center of the dream watcher, and the user - along with a number of other participants - may enter the target's dream simply by climbing through the center of the sigil. While there, the user may interact with the target's dreams and surface memories. If the target wakes up, the user and all other participants are forcefully ejected and lands near the target, unharmed.

Character Picture:
http://i33.tinypic.com/33209x5.gif

Symbol:
http://i34.tinypic.com/iva5af.gif

Elagune
2010-08-15, 03:19 AM
Charlie Wright (Michael Avius) (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/1.png) - Herpestidae

Some major changes have been made, but Herpestidae's character is complete. The changes are exceedingly major, as new ideas came to me the entire time I was drawing him. In the end he ended up with a heavy aviator bent to his design.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-15, 03:24 AM
Aw, man. I wanted to do something, but these ideas are too awesome. :smalleek:

I don't think I can make anything, with most of my creative energy in other places at the moment. :smallfrown:

Prime32
2010-08-15, 04:40 AM
Had an idea, but not much material for it.

Basically, someone who became a member of the "Codex of Bone"... while having that rare condition which causes tissue to turn into bone as it heals from an injury (can't remember the name).

Basically, their nature as a Page prevents them from dying of it, and they'd be able to sprout skeletal limbs from various parts of their body where they've been injured before.

Cizak
2010-08-15, 05:10 AM
According to this (http://bibliocomic.wikispaces.com/Codex), I don't see any harphy codex, so are we allowed to make up our own? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2010-08-15, 08:00 AM
~snip~

Opal is an in. I've been looking for more members of the All-Seeing Codex. There'll be some changes, though. The All-Seeing Codex gives all members false eyes that help them blend into society. I'll also be giving her original spells - don't want to have to reuse too many.

~snip~

Wait... She did?! BAM! Yes! The girl with the heart shaped All-Seeing Eyes and the pink winter cap pulled down over her head is in!

*cough* er... I mean thanks Elagune. I look forward to seeing what you do with her.

Fayd
2010-08-15, 09:53 AM
Another idea I had:

Page
Name: Nicholas Schmidt
Age Group: Child
Codex: Craftsman's

Personality: A sunny, happy little kid. Energetic and talkative. A builder and tinkerer, his favorite toys have always been LEGOs. Unlike most child pages, he didn't grow up in the supernatural world... much like Roy, he discovered it after a tragedy (and in a hospital, incidentally). Confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life due to the tragedy and the price of his codex, he seeks to make the best of it. Always looks for a sunny side. Limitless imagination.

Craftsman's Codex: Myths of craftsmen abound in all cultures, from Greek and Roman to the Japanese. When attuned, they gain affinity for a particular material. If they are particularly devoted and talented, they could potentially gain more material affinities. Other passive benefits include super strength (helps when working with metal, for example) and immunity to fire. The cost for this power is borrowed from a prime example: Hephaestus. They are lame, in the classic sense. This varies from simply having a deformed leg to being paralyzed from the waist down. Few spells in this Lexicon are meant for combat, most are utility things to assist their work.

As this applies to character: Paralyzed from the waist down in a car crash, during his stay in the hospital, he was Awakened by accident. The Page that did was forced to explain things to him and a relationship grew, and eventually Nick ended up joining the Craftsman's Chapter, giving up his potential healing for the gifts of Page-hood.

He took to the Codex like a fish to water. Within days he was creating marvels of metal, delicate pieces of art, sometimes working the white-hot metal with his bare hands. His greatest achievement is his pet squirrel, a creature, fully detailed, made entirely of metal. Normals can see it, but most assume that it is simply a tame squirrel. And due to Craftsman's Lexicon Spell 7: Breath of Life... it is alive. Within a year, he had gained his second affinity: Glass, and continues to produce works of delicate beauty, sometimes combining his two materials in unique and wonderful ways.

Spells

7: Breath of Life: Animates, either permanently (with a much greater expenditure of energy) or temporarily, something that the Page has made with his or her own hands.

16: Crucible: Creates tremendous heat, to melt down metal or glass. Impractical in combat, as it takes a while to warm up. Primarily used to save on fuel costs.

50: Imagination Made Real: Ultimate spell of the Lexicon, it creates something straight from the Page's imagination, without tiresome limitations of materials or physics to get in the way.

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d15/0928/70ba505.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/38975576) The primary difference being that he is in a wheelchair, which is something this creator cannot do, apparently.
What do you guys think?

Radar
2010-08-15, 11:56 AM
Here goes nothing (or rather something - or so I hope):

Sigil-holder
Name: Ignacio Orden (goes by Spark, if possible)
Age Group: Child

Personality: dislikes his unusual name, since it makes him a target at school. He tends to pay back indirectly if an opportunity arises (framing, finding and revealing an embarrasing secret, playing people on one another). He tries to keep to himself and his new-found powers help him with that. He is still somewhat confused with the concept of "magic and wizards, and stuff" being real.

Weapon:
Lucky Coin - as far as Spark knows, it makes people ignore him, which suits him just fine. It can range from people just leaving him be to almost not noticing him at all. The more noteworthy behavior of the user, the harder it is to maintain the effect. Spark can only affect a limited ammount of people at once and has to choose every target (so if he forgets to include someone, it means trouble for him).
Possible future developement: granting full invisibility substitute (potential enemy taking blows without reacting) or spreading the benefits to other people.

Herpestidae
2010-08-15, 01:31 PM
Some major changes have been made, but Herpestidae's character is complete. The changes are exceedingly major, as new ideas came to me the entire time I was drawing him. In the end he ended up with a heavy aviator bent to his design.

He looks awesome. I must admit, his wings look a bit too small to carry him. Once I get ten dollars and a PayPal Account, I'm definitely buying a print of him. I also call the Avatar you make of him.

Kasanip
2010-08-15, 02:01 PM
PAGE
Name: Koko Kozuka
Age Range: Child

Personality:
Mischievous and excitable little helper. Koko is quickly learning to become an expert at stalking people down the hallways and then jumping out to surprise them with her spell 1st spell, [Fox Fire]. As such, she often is assigned to help clean the library (where often her pranks come). But she enjoys this just as much and is quite the expert on where to find such-and-such book.

Dislikes: Strict People, Spoiled Surprises, Lunar Codex

Codex: NINE TAILED Codex - Youko
Strengths: Illusion Creation and Shapeshift
Weakness: Lunar Codex (Dog Barking), Elemental Attacks

Spells:

1. "FOX FIRE"
A bright explosive burst of light and sparkling dust, it stuns the viewers for a few seconds. Leaves the sparkling dust around afterward.

2. "TWIN TAILS"
An illusory clone of the Nine Tailed Page is created for a short time.

8. "INVERTED LOTUS"
A ranged attack: with a spin of the tail(s), the Page shoots a number of lasers ((n)=number of tails)) at the target.

Sketch

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af275/umbrellako2/koko.jpg

Codex Symbol: Nine-Tailed Codex

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af275/umbrellako2/9bisigir.png
I know you had a symbol for Nine-Tailed codex in one page, so maybe this one is unnecessary :smallredface:

Prime32
2010-08-15, 02:15 PM
Kasanip, stop trying to control our minds. :smalltongue:

Poly P. Mus is a maybe at the moment.Well, I like the conce- SO CUUUUUUTE :smallbiggrin: *hugs Koko*

...dammit Kasanip. :smallannoyed:

Herpestidae
2010-08-15, 02:56 PM
Would you happen to have a picture of Charlie without his name in the way? If that's alright with you, I'd like to give him a bit of color. Important, because I'm working on an OOts Version of him.

Elagune
2010-08-15, 03:49 PM
Certainly. Here you go.

Charlie Wright (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/1b.png)

Current:
Michael Avius - Accepted
Armida Costone - Maybe
Poly P. Mus - Maybe
Opal Fisher - Accepted
Kurama - Maybe
Fassad - Maybe
Christopher Cocytus - Sadly Rejected
William Mackintosh - Accepted
Taren - Maybe
Jess - Maybe
Mishika Prism - Sadly Rejected
Nicholas Schmidt - Maybe
Ignacio Orden - Maybe
Koko Kozuka - Accepted

Koko Kozuka has been accepted! I was looking for more kids to put in Belmont House anyway, and this addition is perfect. Not to mention I have reference material straight from the creator.

Mishika Prism's idea is fine... unfortunately, her Codex is the problem. I can't go into it.

Herpestidae
2010-08-15, 05:12 PM
Well, here's Good Ol' Chuck, colored and ready for OotS-ification.
http://a.imageshack.us/img208/8109/chucks.png

Viera Champion
2010-08-15, 05:42 PM
Oooo! I can't wait till you make Opal!

Hopefully her part in the manga won't be quite as depressing as her part in the RPG. *cough* inker *cough*

Cizak
2010-08-15, 05:47 PM
Repeat:

According to this (http://bibliocomic.wikispaces.com/Codex), I don't see any harphy codex, so are we allowed to make up our own? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? :smalltongue:

?

Viera Champion
2010-08-15, 05:49 PM
Repeat:

?

The answer to that question, (as I see it at least) is quite clearly yes.

Fayd
2010-08-15, 07:04 PM
The answer to that question, (as I see it at least) is quite clearly yes.

My impression is that if we make a Codex that doesn't exist, he will either make it or translate it into the closest approximation.

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-15, 11:44 PM
It's got nothing to do with the darkness. Bibliography can get a little dark at times. Rather, it's got to do with his Codex.

Can't say more than that.

Oh, I see now. Maybe I'll try something later. When will you close the contest?

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-15, 11:54 PM
When will you close the contest?

Right when I think of a good idea. :smalltongue:

Felyndiira
2010-08-16, 12:20 AM
SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Mireille Bessette
Age Range: Teenager (~16)

Personality: Mireille is an avid gamer. Although she has made quite a few friends, she nonetheless prefers to unwind with a good hour of fighting games over LAN, play a strategy game on the internet, or waste time on one of the many MMORPGs that she has installed on her laptop. Despite being a girl, Mireille is very, very good at most of the games that she has experienced, leading to many shocked faces when she enters Guilty Gear competitions and leaves with the grand prize in her hands. She also has a tentative interest in manga/anime, is proficient with computer operstions, and enjoys detective fiction and literature with a powerful philosophical theme (which she will not hesitate to share, with exuberance, to her friends).

Alone and away from her games, Mireille is a bit of a shy person; she isn't below making a nerdy joke here or there, but she tends not to talk much, preferring to listen to other people rather than speak her own opinions. OVer the internet, however (and even in IMs with people she knows), Mireille's personality can often take a 180 degree turn, and she'd chatter on and on about life, games, and whatever passing subject suddenly captures her fancy.

Weapons:
1. World of the Brave
World of the Brave is an unique weapon, and the only one that Mireille possesses. Inconspicuous as a sigil, the weapon activates not into a weapon of a specific form. Instead, it cover a vast area, transporting all of its targets (pages and other sigil holders) into a mirror world that acts like a SRPG game. Any target in the world gails attribute scores and must fight in a turn-based fashion, with their movement ranges, attack ranges, and possibly flexibility limited by the world.

World of the Brave, when initialized, temporarily appears as a transparent cube, containing a port that shapeshifts to accepts memory cards of any known form, from diskettes to hard disks to top-of-the-line cards from a playstation portable. While inside her own world of the brave, Mireille may assume the powers and statistics of any character saved on that memory card, and the world that she creates changes to reflect the game from which the character originated. For example, if she assumed the powers of her Monk/Squire/Blade Grasp/Double Sword/Move +2 Ramza, then the world will imitate battles from Final Fantasy Tactics. All pages and sigil holders keep their powers, although they might behave slightly differently.

World of the Brave otherwise looks and acts exactly like the original area. Buildings and structures remain unchanged, although any non-page, non-sigil holder lifeform that isn't specifically included will remain outside the world. For the most part, the environment is indestructible as long as the source SRPG doesn't allow destructible scenery, allowing for damage control during heated battles.

As one might expect, Mireille is very much in-tune with her box weapons, and has many loaded saves prepared and ready for it.

Character Picture:
Once I connect my scanner, I might be able to draw something. Until then, here's a concept from Anime Gen:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6271/animegen.png

Sigil Symbol:
http://i37.tinypic.com/16lh2er.jpg

Weapon Picture not applicable

And, as a joke (maybe in an omake or something) =p:

PAGE
Name: Rela Lynd

Personality:
As you would expect from a typical female otaku cosplayer with a fascination for yaoi reverse harems. Also, a klutz with heavy gainaxing.

Codex: MANGA CODEX - OTAKU
Strengths: Great stamina.
Weakness: Poor social skills.

Spells:
#13: "KOIHIME MUSOU"
The user transforms the target into the opposite gender.
#24: "GURENEDA"
The user creates a pistol that fires with remarkable precision.
#35: "NANOHA"
The user creates a GIANT! BEAM! FROM! THE! SKY! that deals heavy damage to structures and incapacitates an enemy.
#49: "PANDORA HATSU"
The user summons a girl with a scythe. Chains are attached to the scythe's end that can be used to bind targets, and the scythe itself can be swung with little difficulty.
#50: "UEKI NO HOSUKU"
The user turns a piece of trash into a tree.

memnarch
2010-08-16, 02:54 AM
The age range is if you want a high schooler or a college student. From what I've seen, there's not that much difference besides the lack of parents.

PAGE
Name: Kennet Wara
Age Range: 16-26

Personality: A quiet guy who wants to become a pharmacist. He likes to listen to what people say and encourages people to talk about themselves. Kind and thoughtful, Kennet tries to help everyone he can, humans and pages alike.

Likes: the outdoors, building things, chocolate-covered fruit, flying
Dislikes: being confined, rap and other talking “songs”, seeing other people die

Codex: Phoenix Codex – Firebirds
When death occurs, the page is reborn on the spot with only a few of the strongest memories of the past life. Reborn pages mature much faster than normal humans. They also regenerate slowly from injuries of any sort, similar to a starfish. Any help outside the phoenix codex does not affect recovery rate however. There is also a slight raise in temperature around firebirds due to the nature their flaming wings.

Some spells:

Spell 6 "Everlasting Phoenix Feather"
The user pulls a feather from his/her plumage and crushes it in the palm of his/her hand(s). The feather turns to powder which then is thrown at the target, restoring their body to its typical level of equilibrium.

Spell 17 “Flight of the Caged Bird”
The user’s wings become solid and are capable of flight. The maneuverability is pretty good, but not quite as good as a hummingbird.

Spell 48 “Fire Bird”
The user creates a great fire between clasped hands then shoots it at the target in the shape of a giant bird. Sparks trail behind and fade after a couple seconds.

[Character picture to come.]
[Codex symbol to come.]

http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by/3.0/88x31.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
Memnarch,
with the understanding that Elagune, a.k.a. Cody Shaw, does NOT need to give any recognition in any form to Memnarch.

Kasanip
2010-08-16, 05:27 AM
Koko Kozuka has been accepted! I was looking for more kids to put in Belmont House anyway, and this addition is perfect. Not to mention I have reference material straight from the creator.

Thank you very much! I am honored and happy. :smallsmile::smallredface:
If you would like me to sketch better picture, I can try.

Herpestidae
2010-08-16, 01:28 PM
PAGE
Name: Flora Grandston

Personality:
Playful and kind-hearted. Loves animals of all kinds, who tend to come to her.

Codex: SYLVAN CODEX - DRYADS
Dryads are pretty much walking plants. They take on the qualities of various trees and plants that they touch. Some use this to make themselves poisonous.
Strengths: Stronger in direct sunlight. Can absorb nutrients from the ground instead of eating.
Weakness: Unable to withstand cold weather for long. Vulnerability to fire.

Spells:
1: Tree Armor: The user is covered in Bark. Doesn't protect against fire.
The rest: Ever Play Pokemon? Choose as many Grass Type attacks as necessary and rename them.

"Human" Appearance: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1317/a717849.png

"True" Appearance: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1325/a730997.png
(Please ignore the expansive chest. There's no way to turn that off)
Codex Symbol: Leaf and Twig.

Revlid
2010-08-16, 01:31 PM
Ooh, I love this webcomic, and I only just found this thread!

Need to get drawing these guys!

licoot
2010-08-16, 10:07 PM
I only found bibliography yesterday, and its AWESOME,
Here's my attempt:

LIBRARIAN
Name: Jeff Christel
Age Range: Young Adult

Personality:
World-wise, slightly gruff because of past hardships, resilient, slightly withdrawn. He is averse to prolonged encounters and will try to deal with a problem as quickly as possible. He won't get into an argument that quickly but is extremely stubborn and stuck in his ways, he just avoids the conflict in the first place.

Codex: Carpenters Codex
As a page of the carpenters codex grows old he slowly turns to wood, spreading over his body slowly as time passes, a middle-aged page would have a wooden leg or arm, and a teenager, a range of wooden toes/fingers/maybe an ear. However the pages of the carpenters codex also have the unique ability to finely craft there surroundings, and see immaculate details. They also seem to have the ability to understand their surroundings and spot small details.

Spells:
1. Intricate Carpentry
instantly craft designs/features of incredible intricacy

3. Aggressive Chisel
quickly scar into something with immense force

11.Telepathic Craftsmanship
cast an image into the mind of a chosen individual or group

18. Immaculate Crafting
forge a wooden item simply with the mind

19. Sanctuary
prepare a weapon/tool for 'A Masters Tools'

20. A Masters Tools
Make a weapon/tool of the page appear from no where, however this has to be prepared beforehand, by casting 'Sanctuary' on the desired item/weapon.

22. Carpenters Sight
a page can see immense details in his surroundings, as a result in combat situations he has the ability to slow down his perception of time, survey the situation and carefully plan strategical movements mid battle

Codex Symbol: Hammer and Chisel
Here's a representation, its not very good because it just wanted to show the general idea: http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/licoot/chiselandmallet.png?t=1282045679
that would be in a circle

'Human' Appearance: mid length brown hair slightly obscuring face, scar along cheek, slightly above average height, not incredibly slim and fit but by no measure fat, wearing long coat and slightly weathered cloths, looks slightly grubby/dirty, normally seen chewing a piece of wood he crafted into the shape of an extremely fine reed
I made my the closest I could but it still didn't look quite like I wanted it
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d17/1043/2da9239.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39024224)

'True' Appearance: same as human but with about 2/5 of his face wooden, with the scar going into it and turning into a crack, a wooden eye in the area of his face made of wood

EDIT:I can't find good reference material and even though I'm OK at drawing I've never done anything manger-ish so I can't show a good picture

Lord Raziere
2010-08-17, 04:19 AM
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1317/a717849.png

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1325/a730997.png

sorry for the off-topic post, but where people do people keep getting these?

Revlid
2010-08-17, 05:08 AM
Looks like Gaia Online Character Creator, if I'm not mistaken.

Viera Champion
2010-08-17, 07:16 AM

Also known as Tek Teks, I just type in tek tek in google and it's the link that says the site that he said above me.

Sanguine
2010-08-17, 09:50 AM
Well I thought I would try my hand at something

PAGE
Name: Gabriel Springfield (I have no attachment to the name feel free to change it)

Personality:
Gabriel is a strange fellow who views life as one large story and will often bring up concepts such as “Main Character”, “Protagonist”, or “Narrative Weight” when speaking of real life people and events. He also has a tendency to do things for no other reason then “to make the story more interesting.”

Likes: Interesting Stories, The Color Green, Interesting Girls

Dislikes: Unimaginative or Boring Stories, The Color Red, Boring or Mundane Girls

Codex: Fae Codex- Fair Folk
Strengths: The ability to change there appearance at will. The skill of the Page determines how wildly there new appearance can differ from their “base appearance” with new pages only being able to make themselves slightly more or less attractive and highly experienced ones being able to assume virtually any appearance.

Weaknesses: Contact with Iron causes severe burns to the exposed region and they are unable to break a sworn oath.(They are however able to lie as long as they didn’t swear an oath)

Spells:
1. “Gossamer”
The most basic and universal spell of the Fae Lexicon; this spell allows the Page to create things out of the material of dreams called Gossamer. The more skilled the page the finer the craftsmanship of the item and the faster it is created. However nothing made with this spell is real and will fade away if it comes into contact with iron.

6. “Dream-Devouring”
By feeding on the dreams of a willing target the Page can regain vitality and even heal from his wounds. How much the page recovers is directly proportional to how much of the targets dreams he devours: e.g. Leaving the person without dreams the following night could heal a small paper cut or make a Page fresh and well rested after an all night cram session. Leaving the person a soulless husk with no motivation or goals on the other hand could bring a Page back from the brink of death however very few if any living Pages are capable of this, not to mention very few people are willing to become soulless husks.

17. “Teeth of Madness”
One of the Lexicon’s few directly offensive spells. Teeth of Madness brings the small(or not so small) spark of insanity within the target and brings it forth as a wild bonfire. The target is plagued by hallucinations of their worst fears and the insanity is so much a part of the persons being that the hallucinations though only in the targets mind can inflict psychosomatic wounds.

"Human Form":
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d17/0940/c1e0544.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39023318)

"True Form":
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d17/0936/8234512.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39023281)

I really have no idea what the Codex Symbol should be.

Fayd
2010-08-17, 10:10 AM
Looks like Gaia Online Character Creator, if I'm not mistaken.

It is what I used... there's a link to it in the middle of the first page, if I'm not mistaken.

licoot
2010-08-17, 04:21 PM
Here's another one:

SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Kirsty McArther
Age Range: About 12, definitely still a child, but on the verge of being a teenager

Personality:
Easily annoyed, slightly neurotic, not that easy to get on with. Because of the fact she is hard to get along with she is quite self dependent, but the friends she does get stick, despite the fact she gets angry at them she always forgives the people she trusts and relies on, and doesn't really want to gain more friends.

Weapons:
The Stone Jacket
The stone jacket does not really have a physical shape, once activated is simply merges with Kirsty, forming a glaze over her skin, one activated it is feels almost impenetrable. It also forms a scab over any injuries and very slowly heals them. It is not however indestructible a hit from something blunt will do similar damage as it normally would, although it will hurt slightly less, the stone jacket mainly stops from being her from cut. She has problems with it though because when she activates it, it often stops her moving if she tries to move to fast, jolting her or tripping her up, in one severe case even braking her leg
Sigil Appearance: It gives her skin a slightly gray tint and bulges over any cuts/bruises, being more gray in these areas.
Sigil Symbol: A series of diamonds covering a gray circle like scales.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/licoot/diamondsincircle.png?t=1282170715
This image doesn't look very good (since it took me less then a minuet to whip up in inkscape, but I think it puts across the what I mean

Appearance:
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d17/1631/5bb1433.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39031934)
yet again the pictures not quite what I wanted but oh well...

EDIT: just realized you only wanted teenage pages so I've changed her around a bit

Herpestidae
2010-08-17, 04:34 PM
Easily annoyed, slightly neurotic, not that easy to get on with. Because of the fact she is hard to get along with she is quite self dependent, but the friends she does get stick, despite the fact she gets angry at them she always forgives the people she trusts and relies on, and doesn't really want to gain more friends.

Could have saved yourself the trouble and just put "Tsundere." :P

licoot
2010-08-17, 04:45 PM
Could have saved yourself the trouble and just put "Tsundere." :P

to be honest I had absolutely no idea what that word meant before i copied it into google :smalltongue:

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-18, 03:41 PM
Working on one right now... Saturday is the latest date, my personal deadline, if you want :smallbiggrin:
Having problems with time, english:smalltongue: and with naming... Does anyone know mythical creatures related to music besides sirens? :smallconfused:
And another question: Elagune, do you have a problem if I do it as a multiple-choice biography? Seeing as you don't like some codices, i will just describe different versions of the character, so you can choose the one you like better, if you'll like the character (and I hope you will :smallredface:)

By the way, found another possibility to do a characters picture if you can't draw: http://www.tiniergoodies.com/dream
It's like the Gaia one, but with bigger and more manga/anime-like characters :smallwink:
Although it takes a long time to load all the items :smallannoyed:

Revlid
2010-08-18, 06:58 PM
Well, here are my guys - submitting now.

PAGE
Name: Garnie Piper
Personality:
A street kid with an intermittently refined vocabulary and a tendency to play his cards close to his chest, Garnie’s tough talk often lands him in trouble – trouble he tends to leave his comrades to deal with while he beats a hasty retreat. The only reason his gang keeps him around are his talents in the areas of cheating and sneaking, and the fact that, one way or another, he's always come back for them.
Dislikes: Taking orders, fair fights, danger, dangerous girls

Codex: HAMELIN CODEX – Rat Kings
Pages of the Hamelin Codex benefit from an enhanced sense of smell and hearing, as well as increased resistance to disease (a necessity, given the company they keep). Their stealth is improved, and they gain the innate ability to commune with vermin of all kinds. As a Rat King grows more powerful, more and more rats become tangled and knotted to their tail, allowing them greater access to their Codex’s spells. These Pages are instinctively cowards, but tend toward egomania when they have even the slightest advantage. Rat Kings are wary of Pages of the Bastet Codex (with good reason).

Spells:
1. "RODENT RETREAT"
The Page’s speed and manoeuvrability both increase hugely, and any tracks he might leave are removed as he makes like a banana and splits.

2. "NEEDLE GNAW"
The Page fires at the target with a sharp needle of dull energy. It is painful and annoying, but causes very little actual damage. Perfect, in fact, for a distraction.

12. "SKITTER SWARM"
The Page fires a slightly irritating pellet of energy at the target. Unfortunately for the target, so does every rat within a certain distance of the Page, with the potential for a lethal crossfire if enough vermin have gathered.

24. "RATSKIN DISGUISE"
The Page transforms into a rat, greatly increasing his mobility and stealth, as well as allowing him to hide amongst his subjects. Particularly skilled Rat Kings can still use spells and speak normally when in this form.

25. "RAT RACE"
The Page swaps places with another person, allowing the unfortunate target to take whatever hit was aimed at him. No-one said Rat Kings had to be good rulers, after all. In rat form, he can swap places with a rat, with the added bonus that few people can tell two rats apart...

50. "KING’S COMMAND"
The Page issues a command as the symbol of his Codex flares about him. The reaction to this command varies depending on his skill and the target’s own mental abilities, but ranges from completely ignoring it to slavishly following it to the exclusion of all other considerations. This is a very draining spell, and never affects Pages of the Bastet Codex.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/230/5/5/Garnie_Piper_by_Revlid.jpg

LIBRARIAN-PAGE
Name: Marlo LeMane
Age Range: Late Twenties
Personality:
An open and cheerful fellow serving in the Librarians, Marlo’s cavalier attitude toward violence and frankly nauseating appetite have left him rather unpopular amongst most of his colleagues, although many will still call on him when a delicate touch is absolutely not required. He’s a not a bad guy, as such, he just enjoys a solid fight (with the casual attitude toward violence held by most Pages), has little patience, and ended up with a rather unnerving and savage Codex. He cannot drive and can barely swim, both facts he keeps to himself. For reasons unknown, he despises Ink users, regardless of their circumstances, and tends to deal with them with excessive force.

Likes: Eating, fighting, eating, drinking, eating, laughing, eating
Dislikes: Swimming, driving, red tape, checks & balances, Ink-users, mouthy kids

Codex: CANNIBAL CODEX - Wendigo
Pages of the Cannibal Codex have literally bottomless stomachs, and increased strength, stamina and durability based on the amount they’ve recently eaten. Wendigos have few flashy powers, but strong innate physical abilities, able to overpower the Pages of other Codices with brute force and stamina – they learn new spells slowly. As a trade-off, they are afflicted with a constant hunger that can only ever be partially satisfied. Look for them in restaurants, pubs, cafes, and the food court.

Spells:
1. "CRUNCH BITE"
A set of jaws materialize ahead of the Page’s strike, crunching down on anything in their path with multi-ton force.

5. "DINE & DETOX"
The Page temporarily increases their ability to heal to absurd heights, at the cost of near-crippling hunger.

6. "TASTE TRAIL"
The Page can perfectly track anyone they’ve bitten before, as the taste of their aura lingers supernaturally in the air. Wendigos claim this is an excellent way to build up an appetite.

8. "GNASHER JAWS"
The limb the Wendigo strikes with splits open into a set of razor-toothed jaws, enhancing their attack by a magnitude of chomp.

13. "SWALLOW HOLE"
The Page totally swallows an item or person, ignoring its size as the air ahead of his mouth contorts into a black hole-like vortex. The swallowed thing is unharmed, but stays stuck inside the Page’s bottomless stomach.

14. "SPIT BACK"
Used only alongside the previous Spell, the Page spits back up something he has swallowed. Although covered in disgusting juices and probably traumatised, people are unharmed.

15. "SPELL EATER"
The Page consumes magical energy, generally by eating a Spell fired at him. If used alongside Spit Back, this Spell can allow the Wendigo to spit the eaten Spell back at the original user.

26. "MEGA CHOMP"
Crunch Bite is a pretty scary Spell. This Spell is much scarier.

30. "GOURMET GORGE"
The basis of many a cannibalistic tribal custom, the Wendigo eats something. An animal, an object, even another Page. The Page temporarily gains some of their properties or abilities, and their memories, which fade with a speed that depends on the Page’s skill and remaining magical energy. Whitebox Weapons cannot be consumed, and tend to give the Wendigo in question serious problems.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/230/7/7/Marlo_LeMane_by_Revlid.jpg

SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Pàomò Lí, a.k.a. “Pow Moley”
Personality:
A solemn child, Lí spends much of his time practicing with his sigil weapon, for the simple reason that it gives him an excuse to avoid other people being loud and stupid. It also lets him keep an ear out around the academy by riding it to places he shouldn't be (and hovering over creaky floorboards - there's something the headmaster has yet to work out). There’s something about knowing secrets that just makes him tingle. It’s a trait that has resulted in something approaching friendship with a few of the gossips of the academy, as they peg him as a reliable (if quiet) source of info. He has a crush on one of them, but would die (cross his heart, needle in his eye, etc) before admitting it.

Likes: Watching the news, knowing things others don’t, Pinbabble, flying, sour things
Dislikes: Loudmouths, hustle and bustle, sweet things, violence

Weapons:
1. “PINBABBLE”
A sphere about the size of a child’s clenched fist, Pinbabble has the ability to hover in the air and move at Lí’s mental command. Its usefulness as a weapon is sharply limited by its consistency, which is closer to that of an unpoppable space-hopper than a rock. Lí can cause it to grow to a size slightly bigger than himself, upon which riding it makes for quick and fun travel.
Recently, Lí’s been losing items around Pinbabble. He suspects they may have gotten inside it somehow...
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/230/6/b/Paomo_Li_by_Revlid.jpg

Fayd
2010-08-18, 08:30 PM
@Revlid: Could you put your pictures in spoiler tags please? They're messing with my monitor something fierce.

Elagune
2010-08-18, 11:56 PM
Opal Fisher (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/2.png) - Kurama

Currently I'm not looking at any of the new submissions until I finish drawing art for the ones I've accepted so far.

Silverraptor
2010-08-19, 12:43 AM
So Elagune, what was the exact problem with prism? The reason I ask is that I've been thinking over a dream codex idea long before this contest and I just want to make sure he won't be thrown out right away because of the codex idea.

Edit: Also, is there such a thing as a parallel dimension like a void or something?

Fayd
2010-08-19, 12:50 AM

Currently I'm not looking at any of the new submissions until I finish drawing art for the ones I've accepted so far.

OOOH. I like the look of this one. VERY nice.

Elagune
2010-08-19, 01:21 AM
So Elagune, what was the exact problem with prism? The reason I ask is that I've been thinking over a dream codex idea long before this contest and I just want to make sure he won't be thrown out right away because of the codex idea.

Edit: Also, is there such a thing as a parallel dimension like a void or something?

Dream Codices are, for the time being, unallowed. I feel like it's unfair to reject something without a good reason, but for my part I can't give away the reason without spoiling things. :smallfrown:

Throw in the parallel dimension. I haven't really thought about that kind of thing yet.

Revlid
2010-08-19, 02:33 AM
@Revlid: Could you put your pictures in spoiler tags please? They're messing with my monitor something fierce.
Mea culpa.

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 07:07 AM

OOOOO! Goody! It's great! Thhaaankkksss for accepting her. ^_^

Fayd
2010-08-19, 10:05 AM
Mea culpa.

Thanks! Also, I like the use of Latin. Very nice.

Herpestidae
2010-08-19, 10:28 AM

I wish to color this. May I?

Who exactly has jurisdiction over this?

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-19, 03:15 PM
[...]And another question: Elagune, do you have a problem if I do it as a multiple-choice biography? Seeing as you don't like some codices, i will just describe different versions of the character, so you can choose the one you like better, if you'll like the character (and I hope you will :smallredface:)[...]

You left my question unanswered while posting, so I thought, due to a new page starting, that I should repeat it. I apologize in advance if not answering due to time problems etc. was the case :smallsmile: And for my english :smalltongue:

Opal looks awesome :wink:

Owrtho
2010-08-19, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know mythical creatures related to music besides sirens? :smallconfused:

Some examples of monsters related to music would be:
Banshee (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Banshee)
Fossegrim (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Fossegrim)
Korrigan (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Korrigan)
Mermaid (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Mermaid)
Satyr (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Satyr)
Siren (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Siren)

Also, not a mythical creature, but the Pied Piper of Hameln.

Also, I'll make an entry:

PAGE
Name: Suha Naji
Age Range: Late Teens

Personality:
Normally fairly introverted, once she gets to know you she'll often be exuberant and outgoing. This behaviour is in large part motivated by hoping her friends will better remember her despite her codex. She also tends to give people notes or other small reminders about things. With people she doesn't know too well this will often be in the form of a normal piece of paper, but with friends can range from a post-it note to righting a message on them when they aren't aware, or tying a bell to them.

Codex: THE LETHEAN CODEX - FORGOTTEN
Strengths: Never forget anything. Can cause others to forget or remember things. Powerful Pages can even take the memories of others or induce amnesia. Some are able to infuse food or drink with their power, causing the one who consumes it to forget what they are currently thinking of.
Weakness: Anyone not a Page of the Lethean Codex is almost certain to forget about them when they are not around and nothing is currently forcing them to think about them. Pages are more resilient to this, but still prone. Lacking natural combat ability. Unable to forget things even if they wish they could.

Spells:
4. "SPOT REMOVAL"
The by touching a person, they cause them to completely forget about something, how to do something, or even that they can do something. The effect wears off after about an hour, and is fairly specific, so can't be used to make someone forget what they're doing or other similarly broad ideas or concepts.
22. "MISREMEMBER"
Alters a persons memory of the past few minutes.
32. "REMEMBRANCE"
Touched person recalls a specified memory they had forgotten accurately. Requires slightly more time than the length of the memory recalled to work.
33. "FORGETFULNESS"
Touched person forgets a specific memory or period of time. Requires slightly more time than the length of the memory recalled to work.

Description.
Suha is a petite girl, somewhat small for her age. Due to her Arabic descent, she has somewhat dark skin and black hair, which she's grown to her knees. Her eyes however are a clear blue. When not around friends she often appears to be somewhat sad as if resigned to something she doesn't want (her powers).
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/Owrtho/Art/SuhaNaji.jpg

Codex symbol: A tablet with markings to worn to make out.

Owrtho

licoot
2010-08-19, 04:09 PM
@Owrtho, It probobly isn't worth entering that for a while, elagune isn't taking entries at the moment

Owrtho
2010-08-19, 04:13 PM
@Owrtho, It probobly isn't worth entering that for a while, elagune isn't taking entries at the moment

True, but it will be there once he is again. That way I don't need to worry about forgetting to put it up (though that would be rather appropriate).

Owrtho

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-19, 04:15 PM

He didn't say about not taking them, just that he does not read them until he finished drawing the accepted ones. I doubt that he won't look trough the archives of the thread to see if someone submitted something good. So why not? :smalltongue:

Owrtho : Thanks :smallwink:

Fayd
2010-08-19, 05:09 PM
If you wouldn't mind a small suggestion Owrtho, call it the Lethean Codex. Means the same thing, with fewer words. Plus, Codices tend to have one word descriptors from what we've seen so far... Candle, Ma'at's, All-Seeing (one word because of the hyphen...) ... just my 2 cents anyway.

licoot
2010-08-19, 05:54 PM
He didn't say about not taking them, just that he does not read them until he finished drawing the accepted ones. I doubt that he won't look trough the archives of the thread to see if someone submitted something good. So why not? :smalltongue:

Owrtho : Thanks :smallwink:

In that case I might as well post an idea I've had for a while:

PAGE
Name:Frank 'Jekyll' Janian (known as Jekyll)
Age Range: Old Teenager

Personality: (read definition of duality codex pages first, it will make a lot more sense) The original human (called frank Janian) had multiple personality disorder and because of this when he split the shadow took on one personality and the body the other. 'Jekyll' was more intelligent then his alter ego but was also less charismatic and overshadowed by his alter ego's ability to gain allies. At first they got on, during this time they jokingly named themselves Jekyll and Hyde, as Jekyll was the more intelligent he got Jekyll, ironically over time Jekyll got jealous of his alter ego and that jealousy turned into hate, because of this he shunned his chapter and ran away into the dark world of page gangs to escape his alter ego. Since he has become slightly depressing to be around.

Codex: The Geminid Codex- Doppelgangers
Pages split into two versions of themselves, the second forming out of the shadow of the first, they both have the ability to disappear into their own shadow and lose physical form, they are normally completely happy with their situation and treat each other as superiors, both having the same personality's, however at first they are both slightly weaker then the original human, because they are formed of the same person. The clone formed of the original body has whit eyes and the one formed of shadow black. Because most their power relays on using shadows if there is no shadow, they have no no power unless they team up and use each other as weapons, although when there is more shadow they have more power.

Spells:
1. Shadow shift
Turn into a shadow, the page can move but has no physical form and cannot touch anything, or pass through anything solid.
3. Shadow Scatter
Launch a blast of energy spraying all the surrounding shadows into the air, casting a gloom around the area for about 5 minuets.
11. Shadow jump
Allows the page to quickly travel through the surrounding shadows while in his shadow form.
12. Shadow Clone
Create a clone from the surrounding shadows, it is unable to touch anything and is mainly a distraction.
23. Brotherly Connection
Merge the original body with the shadow forming a combination of both their powers. This combination has eyes the opposite to normal, black with a white pupil.
31. Umbram Dagger
Form a dagger out of the shadows
32. Antumbram Bolt
A shadow is shot out of the hand of the page
33. Penumbram shield
A shield is formed in front of the page, made of shadows, it is not a normal shield, but more like a wall.

''Human' Appearance: Pale with short brown hair, weakly built, with brown eyes, wears jeans and a white shirt.

'True' Appearance: Same as before with jet black eyes

Codex symbol: A circle with a figure in it which has a shadow in a different position.

And his alter ego:

PAGE
Name:Frank 'Hyde' Janian (Known as Hyde)
Age Range: Old Teenager

Personality: (read definition of duality codex pages first, it will make a lot more sense) More bold and confident then his alter ego, seems to draw friends to him, strangely despite being the dubbed Mr. Hyde ego he has a strong belief in sticking to his work and being a good person, he dubbed himself that to cheer up Jekyll, both names have however stuck despite his brothers rebellion. He has stuck strongly to his chapter but has put a lot of effort into convincing his brother to return and even lied about his whereabouts to save him from the chapter. Despite troubles with his brother he is still very positive.

Codex: The Geminid Codex- Doppelgangers
Pages split into two versions of themselves, the second forming out of the shadow of the first, they both have the ability to disappear into their own shadow and lose physical form, they are normally completely happy with their situation and treat each other as superiors, both having the same personality's, however at first they are both slightly weaker then the original human, because they are formed of the same person. The clone formed of the original body has whit eyes and the one formed of shadow black. Because most their power relays on using shadows if there is no shadow, they have no no power unless they team up and use each other as weapons, although when there is more shadow they have more power.

Spells:
1. Shadow shift
Turn into a shadow, the page can move but has no physical form and cannot touch anything, or pass through anything solid.
3. Shadow Scatter
Launch a blast of energy spraying all the surrounding shadows into the air, casting a gloom around the area for about 5 minuets.
11. Shadow jump
Allows the page to quickly travel through the surrounding shadows while in his shadow form.
12. Shadow Clone
Create a clone from the surrounding shadows, it is unable to touch anything and is mainly a distraction.
23. Brotherly Connection
Merge the original body with the shadow forming a combination of both their powers. This combination has eyes the opposite to normal, black with a white pupil.
31. Umbram Dagger
Form a dagger out of the shadows
32. Antumbram Bolt
A shadow is shot out of the hand of the page
33. Penumbram shield
A shield is formed in front of the page, made of shadows, it is not a normal shield, but more like a wall.

''Human' Appearance: slightly darker skin than Jekyll's with short brown hair, slightly stronger looking than his alter ego, with brown eyes, wears jeans and a black shirt.

'True' Appearance: Same as before with bright white eyes

Codex symbol: A circle with a figure in it which has a shadow in a different position.

Can someone tell me if they make sense, I spent about ten minuets trying to make what them clear.

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 05:59 PM
I wish to color this. May I?

Who exactly has jurisdiction over this?

I don't think it really matters, since it doesn't affect Elagune in any way, and I would prefer if you did, so since it's my idea I say yes. But the hat MUST be pink.:smalltongue:

Owrtho
2010-08-19, 06:11 PM
If you wouldn't mind a small suggestion Owrtho, call it the Lethean Codex. Means the same thing, with fewer words. Plus, Codices tend to have one word descriptors from what we've seen so far... Candle, Ma'at's, All-Seeing (one word because of the hyphen...) ... just my 2 cents anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd not been able to think of anything better, though now that you mention it Lethe fits quite well.

Owrtho

IcemanJRC
2010-08-19, 06:38 PM
I love this. So hard. I think I might revamped Jared for this... Maybe make a horrible drawing on MS Paint or something. I like Opal and Charlie by the way.

Fayd
2010-08-19, 06:42 PM
Can someone tell me if they make sense, I spent about ten minuets trying to make what them clear.

They aren't perfect, grammatically (but really, what is?), but what you're trying to say gets across just fine. I could understand it. Some suggestions: Janian Codex (named after the Two-Faced Roman God of doorways, beginnings, and the rising and setting sun) or the Geminid Codex (comes from Gemini). This is mostly to keep in line with the current theme of Codex Naming. Your default, Duality, is also good... these are just some random ideas I had along the way.

I am, by no means, an expert on Codex Naming. ... Actually, Elagune, that's a good question: Do you have a preference for Codex names?

licoot
2010-08-19, 06:45 PM
...Some suggestions: Janian Codex (named after the Two-Faced Roman God of doorways, beginnings, and the rising and setting sun) or the Geminid Codex (comes from Gemini)...

Do you think Janian would work as a surname for them, Dolly (the first animal cloned from an adult cell) doesn't really sound right

Fayd
2010-08-19, 06:49 PM
It could, actually. It's obscure enough that people might not get it RIGHT away, yet has some hidden meaning. It sounds enough like a surname anyway (far more than Geminid does!)

Herpestidae
2010-08-19, 07:18 PM
I am, by no means, an expert on Codex Naming. ... Actually, Elagune, that's a good question: Do you have a preference for Codex names?

Well, they all seem to be one word tangentially related (to something related) to the codex's powers. And no, that wasn't a typing error.

Canon examples:
Sanguine Codex- Vampires. "Sanguine" in old days referred to a "bloody" temperament.

Atlantis Codex- Mermen. Atlantis is an underwater city. Mermaids live underwater

Do you count All-Seeing as one word?

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 07:31 PM
I don't, since the actual name of the codex is The Codex of the All Seeing Eye. Not just the All Seiing Codex.

Also, Herpestidae. If you look up, I answered your question about coloring Opal.

Owrtho
2010-08-19, 07:36 PM
You could also search for something that fits using this (http://surnames.behindthename.com/) (also for first names (http://www.behindthename.com/)).
If you find the meanings of the names I used it can fit the character rather well.

I don't, since the actual name of the codex is The Codex of the All Seeing Eye. Not just the All Seiing Codex.
No, it's the All-Seeing Codex. Every reference to it in the comic has been to the All-Seeing codex, and never added the Eye.

Owrtho

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 07:43 PM
It's called shortening.

Owrtho
2010-08-19, 07:51 PM
It has never once in the comic been called Codex of the All Seeing Eye, or All Seeing Eye Codex or anything else with the word Eye used. The 'Eye' part to the best of my knowledge seems to have come from some people inadvertently adding it on when mentioning it in the original discussion thread. Elagune may have also referred to it such once or twice in response to those comments as well, but it was most likely a typo caused by everyone else mentioning it with the 'Eye' tacked on.

Also, it likely would be best not to clutter this thread, so if you reply to this, please do so in the main discussion thread and we will carry on there.

Owrtho

Fayd
2010-08-19, 08:08 PM

I do, mostly because of the hyphen. I'll have to make use of those pages Owrtho... names are some of the trickiest things to come up with.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-19, 08:10 PM
Well, they all seem to be one word tangentially related (to something related) to the codex's powers. And no, that wasn't a typing error.

Canon examples:
Sanguine Codex- Vampires. "Sanguine" in old days referred to a "bloody" temperament.

Atlantis Codex- Mermen. Atlantis is an underwater city. Mermaids live underwater

maybe it would've been better if it had been named the Odin Codex.

Fayd
2010-08-19, 08:23 PM
maybe it would've been better if it had been named the Odin Codex.

Yeah, but ... didn't Odin only have one eye? I'm not terribly familiar with the intricacies of Norse Myth... I know some of the better (read: funnier) stories (Loki, I'm looking at you...)

T-O-E
2010-08-19, 08:31 PM
He had two ravens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn_and_Muninn) to see for him.

Herpestidae
2010-08-19, 08:33 PM
Colored pic of Opal. Guess what her favorite colors are :smallbiggrin:

http://a.imageshack.us/img204/9302/ofisher.png

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 08:35 PM
Eeeeee! I looovvveeee youuuuuuu Herpestidae!

Herpestidae
2010-08-19, 08:39 PM
Quiet, before Lix Lorn starts shipping us!

IcemanJRC
2010-08-19, 08:44 PM
Nice one Herp, it was well done and looks really good. I'm mostly one for earth tones and darker colors as opposed to those kinds myself. But pink fits her.

Viera Champion
2010-08-19, 08:45 PM
Awwww... That'd be awesome.

Just a few problems:
1) We're both guys (Well I'm gay, but I don't know about you)
2) The shipping thread is gone. WAAAAHHHH

IcemanJRC
2010-08-19, 08:48 PM
I would read that.

Fayd
2010-08-19, 08:54 PM
Which fits swimmingly with the two Eyedolls... You know what? I have a character idea bubbling up!

An adult member of the All-Seeing Codex with an eye-patch and his third and fourth eyes represented by ravens. Mostly, meant as a cameo.

Edit: Wow. That... happened fast. Or I completely missed the new page. See the last post of the previous page as to what I'm responding to.

Herpestidae
2010-08-19, 08:59 PM
We're both guys
She wouldn't let something like that stop her.

I support You/Anyone

Prime32
2010-08-20, 04:53 AM
Colored pic of Opal. Guess what her favorite colors are :smallbiggrin:

http://a.imageshack.us/img204/9302/ofisher.pngCould use some white in the trim, maybe the socks and/or gloves.

Herpestidae
2010-08-20, 07:18 AM
Could use some white in the trim, maybe the socks and/or gloves.

That would have been lazy.:smallannoyed:

IcemanJRC
2010-08-20, 05:39 PM
PAGE
Name: Jared Foster

Personality:
A practicing member of a modernized version of Maat, Jared believes that the entire universe is governed by an underlying unity and that the actions of one, if they would upset the Cosmic Unity, can cause consequences for either that person or many people because the universe is attempting to reinstate the balance. Because of this he is prone to looking down upon others who act in ways he considers upsetting to the Cosmic Unity. (Read as: most people) He is also devoted and loyal with the interests of those he is loyal to in mind, always.

Codex: Ma'ats Codex - Mummies
Strengths: Higher endurance and natural lie detecting (not always effective).
Weaknesses: Intolerant of high humidity and rather unappealing and obvious appearance.

Spells:

1. "Quell the Isfet"
The user imposes a sense of serene tranquility upon the target, releiving all feelings of violence, dishonesty and general chaos. The user must have extensive willpower to overcome that of the target in order to maintain this spell. This spell allows for use on multiple targets but the mental strain makes it difficult for those who are not veteran in practice. This spell manifests as an ankh imposed over the target.

16. "Rigid Cloth"
The user hardens a select number of bandages which can then be used defensively as a shield or offensively as a bludgeon. The feel of the bandages is akin to stone.

"Variation: Razor Cloth" The users bandages become not only rigid, but also gain sharp edges so as to be like blades.

Picture Being Commissioned, ETA One week or less.
Symbol is a work in progress as well.

I think this is how I'll present Jared to you. Pictures will be up soonish, got a friend drawing him. The first power is based off of what I was able to read about Ma'at, Isfet is Maat's opposite. Maat is order unity and the like, Isfet is Chaos, violence and such. If you so chose to select Jared, he and Opal were dating in the RP. Do with that as you will, continue or disregard, take any libertys you'd like, Elagune. (If you like him.) So, what are your thoughts community?

Viera Champion
2010-08-20, 05:44 PM
Awwww... *huggles*

Opal's already in! She doesn't need her old lame-o boyfriend!:smalltongue:

Just kidding. For my real thoughts on their relationship, see the top of my post.

IcemanJRC
2010-08-20, 05:46 PM
:smallbiggrin: VALIDATION!

Silverraptor
2010-08-20, 05:55 PM
Hey Elagune, I have a character design ready to post. Just let me know when you are accepting new characters again and I'll post him.

Revlid
2010-08-21, 08:35 PM
[spoiler]If you so chose to select Jared, he and Opal were dating in the RP. Do with that as you will, continue or disregard, take any libertys you'd like, Elagune. (If you like him.) So, what are your thoughts community?
...We have an RP? :smallconfused:

Jared is cool, although I'd like to know more about his personality (as opposed to his principles). Is his "looking down on" characterised as arrogance, condescension, aggressiveness or what?

I'd like to get some criticism for any of these three, too. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9173050&postcount=59)

IcemanJRC
2010-08-21, 08:39 PM
We had a Freeform RP but it kinda died...

Any way, looking down on is characterized as all of the above in different cases. And I wanted to leave the personality generally open so that Elagune can make detail tweaks easily. Mostly because I have trouble describing personality. (Which is why I'm a bad writer.)

rocketpony
2010-08-22, 01:09 AM
Deploying for y'all's humble consideration, and hopefully a better name for the codex (Latin ain't never betrayed be so hard before tonight.)

Page

Name: Yvette Grayson

Personality: Her powers relegate her to a support role, so she's fought alongside a bunch of pages. You'll realize this because she won't hesitate to compare you to them, and you won't look better for it. Hates/fears indecision - would rather be reckless than dawdle. Not especially fond of vinegar, but drinks it constantly, in case she needs it. Consequently, has no tolerance for whiners.
Despite this, she works pretty well as a sidekick, and if you show her that you're not a chump, she can tone back her sass to the degree that you might even think she likes you. Protip: she probably doesn't.

Dislikes: Indecisiveness, whiners.

Quotes
"Oh hey, don't mind me. We can just sit here crying until they find us, soak up all those punches, and die, all while you wait to grow a pair."
"Aww, what's the matter, Yuri? Too hot in here? I weep for you. Here, have a swig of this, take the edge off."

Codex: Decapitated Codex - Penanggalan
Strengths: Head can disengage from body and fly (trailing organs). Hypnotic eyes, grating voice.
Weakness: Powers only function if they've drunk vinegar recently. Also - when head is disengaged, organs can snag on things.

Spells:
1. Firefly Storm
Glowing specks on the organs break off, and act like homing missiles. Not especially powerful explosions, but very bright and distracting, and potentially dangerous if placed right.
2. Repulse Eye
Legitimately a problem for All-Seeing Codex, the victim cannot look at the penanggalan - their eyes just slide away whenever they try to, leaving Yvette in a perpetual blindspot. If she could cast other spells while this was going on, she'd be in business.
3. Visceral Lash
The trailing organs snap out like whips - local paralysis on contact.

Pictures:
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/rocketpony/Yvette.png

RADIO EDIT: I figure that when she's got her head mad floating around, headless body slumped on the floor like so many uncomfortable clothes, and stuff, people who don't see pages just see her slumped on the floor, with a head still attached. Her head is functionally invisible to them while it's disconnected.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-22, 02:02 AM
Yeah, but ... didn't Odin only have one eye? I'm not terribly familiar with the intricacies of Norse Myth... I know some of the better (read: funnier) stories (Loki, I'm looking at you...)

only because his other eye got taken away for some reason, just think logically; maybe in the Biblioverse Odin's all-seeing eye wasn't the one he had left but the floating eye he got from losing the other one and the myth got distorted.

I am always disappointed in people when they always assume this stuff has to be accurate and matching, especially with things like ancient myths, a few thousand years of oral tradition and things get lost and distorted in the telling :smallbiggrin:

Owrtho
2010-08-22, 02:31 AM
Deploying for y'all's humble consideration, and hopefully a better name for the codex (Latin ain't never betrayed be so hard before tonight.)

Well, Latin words wouldn't really fit with the naming theme, which is largely based on related places or themes in mythology (particularly given their origin among Central & South America, Asia, and the Philippines). Also, given there are a number of similar creatures to the Penanggalan (Chonchon, Manananggal, Krasue, and Nukekubi to name a few), I'd suggest looking at some of their myths for inspiration. For example the Chonchon is said to be a transformation of Kalkus (something like a sorcerer or shaman). Manananggal stories often focus on the province of Capiz. Nukekubi have red symbols along the line where they detach marking them for what they are. The Krasue has a lot of other names.
You could use The Codex of Capiz (might not be the best due to various other myths there though), the Kalkus Codex, or something similar.
Also, I'd suggest incorporating the red symbols into the weaknesses. I'd also note that Penanggalan traditionally need the vinegar after using their powers, not before (as it helps shrink their organs back to fitting in the hole). There is also a common theme of the creatures dying when caught in sunlight while detached (or at least being harmed by it). I might suggest something along those lines.

Also, Lord Raziere I agree that there should be room for reinterpretation.

Owrtho

rocketpony
2010-08-22, 01:47 PM
Also, I'd suggest incorporating the red symbols into the weaknesses. I'd also note that Penanggalan traditionally need the vinegar after using their powers, not before (as it helps shrink their organs back to fitting in the hole). There is also a common theme of the creatures dying when caught in sunlight while detached (or at least being harmed by it). I might suggest something along those lines.

I figured it would make sense for her to need vinegar beforehand too - otherwise, the organs wouldn't be shrunken enough to come out through the neck :)
As it is, I'm kind of wondering if this is too gruesome for the manga >.>
Thanks for your consideration~

Fayd
2010-08-22, 02:19 PM
Also, could you put the picture in spoiler tags? It's playing havoc with my monitor. (If you don't know how, put the word "spoiler" in square brackets before the picture code and then the word "/spoiler" with the backslash after the image code, in square brackets.)

Owrtho
2010-08-22, 02:29 PM
I figured it would make sense for her to need vinegar beforehand too - otherwise, the organs wouldn't be shrunken enough to come out through the neck :)
As it is, I'm kind of wondering if this is too gruesome for the manga >.>
Thanks for your consideration~

Actually that wouldn't be an issue. The organs aren't actually too big to fit through the opening. Rather, when the head is detached they would become loose and spread out. This would make it difficult to fit them back into the body, particularly due to the lack of hands to manipulate them. As such the vinegar is used to shrink them some which causes them to pull together again before reattaching to the body.

Also, it may be a bit gruesome depending on how Elagune wants to go.

Owrtho

Viera Champion
2010-08-24, 06:36 AM
Actually that wouldn't be an issue. The organs aren't actually too big to fit through the opening. Rather, when the head is detached they would become loose and spread out. This would make it difficult to fit them back into the body, particularly due to the lack of hands to manipulate them. As such the vinegar is used to shrink them some which causes them to pull together again before reattaching to the body.

Also, it may be a bit gruesome depending on how Elagune wants to go.

Owrtho

I'm pretty sure when people have floating eyes and FRIGGIN MAGIC, sticking organs back into a body should be something that just comes with the power.

licoot
2010-08-24, 06:59 AM
I just realized something about the decapitated codex idea, if the eyedolls are forced to look at her because of the eyecatch spell, then they are essentially locked on to use lens flash

Viera Champion
2010-08-24, 07:08 AM
I just realized something about the decapitated codex idea, if the eyedolls are forced to look at her because of the eyecatch spell, then they are essentially locked on to use lens flash

Damn it... Opal doesn't know that spell. But she could use blink, then chop the head in two with her Optic sword.

rocketpony
2010-08-24, 10:42 AM

I am the dumbest >.< Thank you for pointing this out :D

Prime32
2010-08-24, 10:50 AM
Unless the eyedolls have to switch between "observation mode" and "combat mode". (i.e. they can't observe in full detail while FIRING THEIR LAZORS)

HalfTangible
2010-08-24, 08:08 PM
I like designing characters, is this still accepting submissions?

Owrtho
2010-08-24, 11:22 PM
Well, Elagune said he wouldn't look at any more till he finished drawing those he had currently accepted, but he never said it was over.

I'm pretty sure when people have floating eyes and FRIGGIN MAGIC, sticking organs back into a body should be something that just comes with the power.
Well, that might be true, but it does happen to be the case in the myths that they use vinegar to make it fit.

Also, if anyone cares I managed to do some art for my submission.

Owrtho

HalfTangible
2010-08-25, 12:32 AM
Name: Archibald Weden

Personality: Has extreme issues with self confidence - despite being a Hunter without peer (that he knows of) he believes himself worthless. He travels with a panther he calls 'Gravel' though he never tells anyone why. Loves animals for obvious reasons (see codex). Has extremely powerful episodes of ADD and epilepsy, the latter mostly because of his codex. In battle, he is extremely direct and forceful, while Gravel tends to focus on stealth when he can.

Codex: WILDERNESS CODEX - HUNTER
Strengths: Grants great skill with almost any weapon and allows the user to have an animal as a friend and ally. Can heal pet of most injuries. The pet gains a massive increase to intellect.
Weakness: If one partner is injured, both feel it, and the member is vulerable to loud noises and bright lights, and the page must have a tamed pet to use his powers. Pet gains no physical strength. If pet dies, the page descends. If the page descends before the pet dies the pet is absorbed into the page before they become an abyssal

Spells: 4 - Tracker's Sight - Allows the user to see a great distance away.

5 - Master's Sight - Allows the master and one willing other (usually the pet) to swap vision in one eye (in abyssal form this can be done with anyone)

7 - Armory - Switches the user's current weapon with a different one (Rifle to pistol, for example)

22 - Dragon's Breath - The user breathes out a cloud of debilitating poison, size determined by aura put into the spell. While it will not kill a page, and cannot affect an unawakened human, it will severely debilitate any pages who breathe it in and kill any awakened humans in the cloud. Highly combustible. Lasts ten seconds.

((komodo dragons have poisonous bites :smalltongue:))

34 - Empowered shot - Weapon fires a burst of pure aura, causing a ridiculous amount of damage. (A revolver would be something akin to a highly contained blast from a grenade launcher) Requires the second hand to be free to manipulate the aura.

I liked the semi-smirk look of the fang mouth, he doesn't need to get a fang from his codex. Also: the marks on his hands and face are body tattoos.

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d25/0032/605d988.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39207487)
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cupids_arrow.jpg

My first idea was a bard but i couldn't think of a way to make the music into a formulaic attack. Thus came this, based on my favorite fantasy class :smallsigh:

Owrtho
2010-08-25, 02:31 AM
My first idea was a bard but i couldn't think of a way to make the music into a formulaic attack. Thus came this, based on my favorite fantasy class :smallsigh:

Well, on page 3 I listed 6 music or song themed monsters from various myths since someone asked.

Owrtho

Zefir
2010-08-25, 07:44 AM
SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Īguruai Hood

Personality:
Young Teenager, he is a very shy Person and avoids most meeting or other things which need social competens. He acts most time in Range. He has knowledge in use of all known range weapons from a sling to a Bazooka. He is nearly fanatic in these weapons. He has no training in meele combat.

Weapons:
1. "Shapeye" - Composite bow
A Whitebox Weapon that resembles to a Composite bow. This bow shoots the arrow with 99,99% at the point the archer wants. You can use everything thtas near an arror like a broom pole or a long stick but it will only hit with a 50% chance.

2. "Arrow bringer" - Back quiver
A Whitebox Weapon that resembles a back quiver. Every Time you summon it it holds 6 Arrows. If the arrows hurt a Page his page power got weakened done 1/6 per arrow or simular by loosing a spell. This remains 1 minute then the effekt is gone. The quiver needs some time to resummon after he is empty.

Ok i gave a discription: First he is wearing glasses that looks like the visor in this Picture but only with a mark where the right eye is. (the pinkt thing)here (http://www.capcom.co.jp/ryusei3/img_wavestation/wallpaper/wp03_s.jpg) hes wearing a bracers on each arm and a 3 finger glove on the right hand. He wears a long arm shirt that looks like wearing a t-shirt above it and he wears normal jeans. He has short spiky hair and a hairtail.
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d28/0705/e4ee101.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39277152)
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae257/Goldmann-andreas/Symbol.png
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae257/Goldmann-andreas/waffen.png

Thats my idea, it came up by reading the Comic hope you like it.

HalfTangible
2010-08-25, 10:07 AM
Well, on page 3 I listed 6 music or song themed monsters from various myths since someone asked.

Owrtho

That would be an abyssal form, that wasn't the problem - all Lexicon so far have had some sort of physical effect on a person, page or other ability, i couldn't think of any physical ability involving music

Owrtho
2010-08-25, 08:41 PM
That would be an abyssal form, that wasn't the problem - all Lexicon so far have had some sort of physical effect on a person, page or other ability, i couldn't think of any physical ability involving music

Given most codices are based on monsters, it would be odd for it to only be the abyssal form. Also the The Codex of Temptation had not been shown to have anything physical, and if need be you could always go for the tried and true sonic blast (though ability to use music to manipulate people into hurting themselves seems like more fun).

Owrtho

HalfTangible
2010-08-25, 09:02 PM
Given most codices are based on monsters, it would be odd for it to only be the abyssal form.See Lunar Codex.

Also the The Codex of Temptation had not been shown to have anything physical, and if need be you could always go for the tried and true sonic blast (though ability to use music to manipulate people into hurting themselves seems like more fun).

Owrtho

Your point is invalid not germaine as the codex of temptation hasn't shown any lexicon.

Owrtho
2010-08-25, 09:42 PM
See Lunar Codex.

Your point is invalid not germaine as the codex of temptation hasn't shown any lexicon.

We haven't seen any lunar codex abyssals, and it seems that they are always werewolves, even if they don't look like monsters.

Also, while no spells have been seen, it was stated what type of abilities the Codex of Temptation has.

There isn't too much point in discussing this though as if you don't feel like trying to design a character like that you don't need to.

Owrtho

HalfTangible
2010-08-25, 09:48 PM
We haven't seen any lunar codex abyssals, and it seems that they are always werewolves, even if they don't look like monsters.

Also, while no spells have been seen, it was stated what type of abilities the Codex of Temptation has.

There isn't too much point in discussing this though as if you don't feel like trying to design a character like that you don't need to.

Owrtho

It was also implied the codex of temptation's abilities to influence one's personal opinion is something they just get, like the ASC's floating eyes or Eve's sense of smell. Thus they are not lexicon.

Thank you for understanding. Sorry for causing a discussion over this at all. I'm trying to work on that.

Viera Champion
2010-08-25, 09:59 PM
Well obviously being able to change peoples decisions at will isn't very fair, so maybe the natural ability wouldn't be very powerful, and the lexicon would be stronger, but less acurate, and each spell would be based off of a different type of Temptation. (Love, lust, gluttony, greed, etcetera)

HalfTangible
2010-08-25, 11:31 PM
Well obviously being able to change peoples decisions at will isn't very fair, so maybe the natural ability wouldn't be very powerful, and the lexicon would be stronger, but less acurate, and each spell would be based off of a different type of Temptation. (Love, lust, gluttony, greed, etcetera)

we've dropped this discussion. Please can we return to topic? What does anyone think of the actual character instead of the routes i could have taken, for instance?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-08-26, 11:14 AM
PAGE
Name: Justin "Beethoven" Vivaldi

Personality:
Justin is pure and simple a music lover. He can name all of Beethoven's works, tell you the difference between Country, Rock, and Country-Rock, and can play several instruments. Music is a huge part of his life, being his main hobby and what he hopes will end up being his livelihood. His years of practicing music have made him a dedicated and focused person, and when he sets his mind to something he'll usually get it done. However, he's not exactly the most sociable person, and tends to be a bit annoying, either from rattling on and on about the latest musician he's discovered, or from getting completely pissed off from the strangest things (never touch his violin or insult Ke$ha around him... it's for the best).

Codex: MUSICAL CODEX - COMPOSERS
Strengths: Increased sense of hearing, and can hear sounds normally beyond the range of normal human hearing. Innate musical skill and absolute pitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Pitch).
Weakness: All senses except hearing are dulled, sense of hearing is improved to the point where only mildly annoying or loud sounds are unbearable.

Spells:
1. "LENTO ASSAI"
The user channels his innate feeling and knowledge of tempo to slow down life around him. The more skilled the user is, the more powerful the effect is and the larger the size of effect. Pages are more resistant to this effect, and the user has even greater resistance, though not total immunity.
2. "PIANISSIMO"
The user channels his innate feeling and knowledge of dynamics to quiet sounds around him. The more skilled the user is, the more powerful effect and the larger the size of the effect.
14. "SUBITO PIANISSIMO"
The user creates a loud blast of sound, often powerful enough to stun or deafen those nearby, and quickly quiets the world around him, similar to the effect of the Pianissimo spell. The user is not affected by the blast, but still by the quieting effect. The initial effect is more powerful if the user plays an instrument in conjunction with the spell.
19. "SOOTHE THE SAVAGE BREAST"
Only usable with an instrument of some sort (including voice and improvised percussion), the user plays a calming melody that causes those that hear it to abandon their aggression, though their attitudes in general will not change.
24. "ROCK AND ROLL"
Only usable with an instrument of some sort (including voice and improvised percussion), the user plays a powerful melody that gives those who hear it a great burst of energy.

Picture: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/AuditoryCodexPage.png
Codex Symbol: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/AuditoryCodexSymbol.png

There's lots of things I'm not to happy with here: I had originally intended for the codex to be one based on sound in general but turned it to music, I'm not to sure about the strengths/weaknesses, the name isn't really the best, and I'm not an artists in the least.

Still, I'm happy with it, I guess.

Fayd
2010-08-27, 02:15 PM
I'm rather looking forward to seeing Steven's finished design... I like how the other two have turned out.

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-27, 05:04 PM
Someone should make a sheriff character called Roland... don't know why. :smalltongue:

HalfTangible
2010-08-27, 05:04 PM
Someone should make a sheriff character called Roland... don't know why. :smalltongue:

SOOOO tempted to quote that...

must... retain... self... control...

remember... sig...

Tulio d Bard
2010-08-27, 05:43 PM
SOOOO tempted to quote that...

must... retain... self... control...

remember... sig...

If you wish...

*reads sig*

Nah, just keep your self-control. However, why would anyone want that?

HalfTangible
2010-08-27, 09:54 PM
SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Jake Wayne
Age Range: Middle age

Personality:
Ruthless incarnate. Enjoys beating up enemies and mocking them as he does so. Has a very short temper and an itchy metaphorical trigger finger for his whitebox weapon. Only seems calm when playing the violin (well, the fiddle, but they're the same instrument played in a different manner) and explodes violently when interrupted.

Weapons:
1. Fickle Fiddle - The Whitebox weapon appears to be an ordinary violin and bow, save for it's almost completely obsidian wood and the fact it is floating of it's own accord. The fiddle plays music, and depending on the song can enhance the abilities of John and his allies, or wreck the abilities of allies and enemies. John may think a specific effect if he so chooses and the fiddle will play an appropriate song for it.

The songs can make Lexicon easier to cast, improve physical endurance, or anything else that the user can think of, as long as it is an enhancement or reduction to an ability the person or persons already posses. The affected and John must both be able to hear the song, though this doesn't seem to apply as strictly with abyssals - namely, a deaf abyssal will still be affected but a deaf page will not. Abyssals are extremely vulnerable to this weapon's effects.

John prefers to use it to increase physical prowess and speed, rather than page abilities, though he can fight an abyssal by physically hindering it and strengthening himself.

Character
http://www.pronetadvertising.com/articles/images/msaleem_cowboy.jpg
Sigilhttp://www.photoshopnerds.com/images/ring-of-fire-slice_21.gif
Weaponhttp://www.store4strings.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/4_4_Black_Violin_4c14a5efa4d7e.jpg

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-28, 07:30 AM
snip

*grumble wanted to make first character with music-related-abilities grumble*
Well, at least it's totally different and I still may have a chance that my character will be accepted.:smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-08-28, 08:37 AM
*grumble wanted to make first character with music-related-abilities grumble*

Well then you were pretty late, cause I made one too, and I wouldn't be surprised if a third one made one before me that I didn't notice cause I only skimmed existing entries.

But music is an awesome power source so I cannot wait to see yours too, personally. :smallsmile:

Cade Rentyr
2010-08-28, 02:56 PM
Right, well, I don't know if you're accepting new suggestions at the moment, but I figured I might as well put mine on the thread for possible future use. Really enjoying the comic by the way, got referred to both it and this thread by my buddy Fayd. :smallsmile:

Clearly completely free to reinterpretation by Elagune since I've selected one of his high codices. Also, I hope the name pun isn't lost on anyone. :smalltongue:

-Edit- Hmm... Apparently I jumped the gun when I assumed the Holy Codex was one of the five high codices. Coulda sworn I read something to that effect in-comic somewhere, but now that I've gone back to look I have no idea what gave me that impression. :smallsigh:

PAGE
Name: James Cricket

Personality:
Affiliated with the librarians -a liaison with the codex, perhaps. Very dedicated to the ideal of justice, but optimistic in people almost to a fault. He will still catch, fight, and stop wrongdoers, but he is redemption-oriented. Partly due to this mindset (and partly due to quirkiness) he tends toward unorthodox methods and tactics.

Codex: HOLY CODEX - Angels
Strengths: Angels' attunement to divine power tends to make them more resilient than others (against illness, for example) and their powers are particularly effective against Abyssals.
Weaknesses: Angels need to pray every day to use spells, and must obey any laws that they know have power over them. Most of their abilities are less than effective against ensouled non-sinners.

Spells:
#2: "SHIMMERING RAIN"
Cause a light rain of holy water. Cleanses ailments, debilitating hexes, etc. Conceals members of the Holy Codex.
#4: "HOLY FLARE"
Generate a blinding flash. More effective on corrupted souls, practically no effect on the innocent.
#7: "DIVINE JUDGMENT"
The user channels his own aura to smite the target with a pillar of light from the sky. Can use 'Holy Lexicon: St. Elmo's Fire' as a lightning rod, of sorts. Leaves the user exhausted.
#16: "SHIELD OF FAITH"
User channels his own aura to protect himself and another sentient being. Strength of the shield is determined by the other individual being shielded.
#32: "ST. ELMO'S FIRE"
Generate a blue flame for every being within range. The magnitude of the flames is proportional to the strength of aura within the individual. Burns the guilty, soothes the innocent.
#42: "HOLY CHAINS"
Immobolize the target with shining aura-manifested chains. Individuals bound this way temporarily lose the ability to lie.

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d28/1148/3f68539.png
Codex symbol: Cross, I assume.

Hyoumu Yau
2010-08-28, 04:47 PM
Well then you were pretty late, cause I made one too, and I wouldn't be surprised if a third one made one before me that I didn't notice cause I only skimmed existing entries.

But music is an awesome power source so I cannot wait to see yours too, personally. :smallsmile:

Damn, I didn't see this one. My was partially a codes idea too. Which means that even if, then probably only one of them will be chosen :smallfrown:
But maybe, if we're lucky, both will be :smallbiggrin: I mean, why can't there be two codices of the same element, but with different physical manifestations and powers? :smallwink: Maybe the codex produces to different kinds of pages, which would actually be cool, because than it could be a on-of-a-kind codex, where pages are always taken in as a pair with two different power types which will then somehow depend on each other, like a composer/player(your page type) and an instrument(my page type):smallamused:.
Must finish tomorrow! :smallfurious: Say no to laziness !

Elagune
2010-08-30, 12:41 AM
Steven Mackintosh (William Mackintosh) - Fayd (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/3.png)

Another one done.

Koko is next.

Owrtho
2010-08-30, 01:24 AM
Nice job. Keep up the good work.

Owrtho

IcemanJRC
2010-08-30, 06:59 AM
That's pretty awesome.

Silverraptor
2010-08-30, 10:17 AM

Another one done.

Koko is next.

Niiiiiiice!:smallbiggrin: I love the floating laptop.:smallcool: (Kinda wish I had one.:smallfrown:)

Fayd
2010-08-30, 10:23 AM
It's better than I imagined! Elagune, that's awesome. Thanks!

Silverraptor
2010-08-30, 10:23 PM
Alright. I've decided to finally do my character. Here goes.

Page
Name: Jasper Davis
Age Range: 15-19 years old

Appearance: Jasper looks gauntly white, with dark bags under his eyes all the time. He doesn't blink hardly ever, so he gives off a feeling like you're being stared at all the time. His hair is white that seems to spike in the back. His clothes are light and colored white.

Personality: Jasper is considered weird by others around him. Even his friends are a little creeped out by him. He doesn't participate in anything social unless forced to (Which doesn't take much). Most of the time, he just finds a ledge or a tree branch to lay out on and stare at the sky most of the time. He looks at death like it is just part of a normal day.

Codex: Specter Codex - Ghost
Strengths: Ability to levitate at will. Able to pass through objects. (However, unable to pass through aura. Therefore pages, page spells, and humans (?) he can not pass through)
Weakness: Has difficulty finding a purpose in life. Can only join the codex when close to death at the time of joining.

Spells:

7. "Invisibility"
The user is able to turn himself completely transparent, unable to be seen. He can still be heard and smelled, however.
33. "Vorpal Blade"
The user conjures up a ghostly blade seemingly made of vapor. The blade doesn't cut anything physically, but it does cut through aura. Hence, other pages will feel it harder to connect to their aura when cut by this sword.
47. "Soul Strike"
The user spits up a large white bubble, that shoots off at the intended direction. Should the bubble strike anything with a living aura, it will cause the target to fly back with increadible force.

[Image to come]
[Symbol to come]

Feel free to change anything you want, Elagune.:smallsmile:

Revlid
2010-08-31, 06:53 AM
Right, well, I don't know if you're accepting new suggestions at the moment, but I figured I might as well put mine on the thread for possible future use. Really enjoying the comic by the way, got referred to both it and this thread by my buddy Fayd. :smallsmile:

I hope the name pun isn't lost on anyone. :smalltongue:
The name pun, I assume, is based on a certain guardian angel? I love meaningful names. :smallbiggrin:

However, the other entries seem to be numbering their spells rather differently. Since the spells in a Codex go from 1-50 (I assume in order of power, although a broom sweep in the mid-twenties for a Witch leads me to believe that might not be the case), people seem to put something of a wider margin between their spell numbers, based on how powerful they are.
That's just a note though, since I imagine Elagune'll change the details if and when he needs to.

As for Strengths and Weaknesses... Maybe Angels are restricted in their actions, by a code in their Codex, or only being able to use their powers against sinners, or something? Powerful but restricted seems to be an angel thing.

Any criticism for my guys in return, their description or abilities or pictures? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9173050&postcount=59)

If you can get the name puns on my entries (they all have them!) I'll be very impressed.

Ooh, that's awesome. I like the way the magic is integrated quite casually into the character - there's no flashy lights, runes or SFX, to the point that it looks almost like supertech rather than magic. Which is a theme I've noted in a number of the whiteboxes, actually. A cool aesthetic.

Herpestidae
2010-08-31, 12:57 PM
Angels need to pray every day to use spells, and have to follow any laws that they know have power over them.

Cade Rentyr
2010-09-01, 04:22 PM
However, the other entries seem to be numbering their spells rather differently. Since the spells in a Codex go from 1-50 (I assume in order of power, although a broom sweep in the mid-twenties for a Witch leads me to believe that might not be the case), people seem to put something of a wider margin between their spell numbers, based on how powerful they are.
That's just a note though, since I imagine Elagune'll change the details if and when he needs to.
(nods) I was working off Elagune's template, which numbered them straight like this. 'Spose I can go back and suggest some numbers though. :smallsmile:

As for Strengths and Weaknesses... Maybe Angels are restricted in their actions, by a code in their Codex, or only being able to use their powers against sinners, or something? Powerful but restricted seems to be an angel thing.

Angels need to pray every day to use spells, and have to follow any laws that they know have power over them.
It definitely makes sense, and it fits in with both my character and the concept of the codex. (and I think Herpestidae was quoting from an early reference in the comic?) In any case, assuming Elagune doesn't already have his own rules in place, I'll go with these as my suggestion then. Thanks guys!
Y'know, the nice thing about this set of restrictions is that it makes an Angelic Abyssal nearly impossible. :smallbiggrin:

The name pun, I assume, is based on a certain guardian angel? I love meaningful names. :smallbiggrin:

Any criticism for my guys in return, their description or abilities or pictures? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9173050&postcount=59)

If you can get the name puns on my entries (they all have them!) I'll be very impressed.
Well, I definitely catch the Pied Piper of Hamelin, and he's my favorite of the three. I pictured him a bit younger-looking though, with less of a squared jaw. I like the concept behind all of his spells, especially Skitter Swarm. I think Rodent Relocation needs a simpler name though --Rat Swap maybe?
Don't get the name puns on the other two, sorry. Not too familiar with Wendigoes so I can't comment too much, other than he's rather creepy (which I think was intentional).
I do like Pow, for the simple reason that he's very familiar; everyone knows a know-it-all kid like that. :smalltongue:
I don't quite understand how Pinbabble helps him 'keep an ear out' though. Does Pow see and hear everything in Pinbabble's vicinity, or does he just ride Pinbabble to inconspicuous places? My guess is that Pow's name pun makes it clear (something to do with 'babble'?), but you might make it a bit more explicit. :/
Otherwise, nice ideas!

Also, in regard to Steven Mackintosh:
Huh. Fayd, I think we've done it again --made completely complementary characters by accident. (Ironic, seeing as we're roommates.) Steven is wearing an immaculate suit, James is in a jacket, khakis and t-shirt; Steven is cold and calculating, James is optimistic and spontaneous; Steven plays things close to the vest, James reads like an open book. I could really see them being paired together, both being librarian-affiliated. I bet their personalities and even battle styles would play off each other well too.

'Course I think I'm probably crossing the boundaries into Elagune's creative turf about now, so I think I'll just shut up.

licoot
2010-09-01, 04:30 PM
Since Revlid got a response, I was wandering if anyone had any criticism on this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9179905&postcount=75), well these two really but they go together so...

Revlid
2010-09-01, 06:03 PM
Since Revlid got a response, I was wandering if anyone had any criticism on this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9179905&postcount=75), well these two really but they go together so...
Nah, see you offer criticism/a response to someone else first, and then the criticised/responded to person hopefully does you the same courtesy. Fosters good relations and keeps the thread free of junk-posts.

That said, the idea is cool, but I'm not sure I like the implementation of two separate characters. Maybe sticking with one, and having his powers take on a life of their own thanks to his split personality?

Well, I definitely catch the Pied Piper of Hamelin, and he's my favorite of the three. I pictured him a bit younger-looking though, with less of a squared jaw. I like the concept behind all of his spells, especially Skitter Swarm. I think Rodent Relocation needs a simpler name though --Rat Swap maybe?
Yeah, I just tend to screw up on drawing details - you'll notice the head-on pic has a much pointier chin. And you caught the name pun (although his first name has one too - the Garnet is the stone that relates to the rat in the Chinese Zodiac)! The name-change for the spell is a good idea, but my love of alliteration tripped me up again. Rat Swap it is.

Don't get the name puns on the other two, sorry. Not too familiar with Wendigoes so I can't comment too much, other than he's rather creepy (which I think was intentional).
Pretty intentional. He's not a bad guy, he just combine the casual attitude most Pages have toward violence with a fairly unnerving powerset. His name pun is that "Marlo" is an anagram of "Molar", while "LeMane" is "Enamel" backward.

I do like Pow, for the simple reason that he's very familiar; everyone knows a know-it-all kid like that. :smalltongue:
I don't quite understand how Pinbabble helps him 'keep an ear out' though. Does Pow see and hear everything in Pinbabble's vicinity, or does he just ride Pinbabble to inconspicuous places? My guess is that Pow's name pun makes it clear (something to do with 'babble'?), but you might make it a bit more explicit. :/
Yeah, he just rides it to places he shouldn't be, or moves silently rather than creaking the floorboards (the headmaster's yet to work that one out). I'll clarify, thanks!
His name pun is just based off his weapon - it's pinyin Chinese for (I forget, actually, but something like) bubble, and bounce.

licoot
2010-09-01, 07:37 PM
Nah, see you offer criticism/a response to someone else first, and then the criticised/responded to person hopefully does you the same courtesy. Fosters good relations and keeps the thread free of junk-posts.

That said, the idea is cool, but I'm not sure I like the implementation of two separate characters. Maybe sticking with one, and having his powers take on a life of their own thanks to his split personality?

Firstly, they were supposed to me more like that, essentially normally with their codex both the shadow and original are exactly the same, same personalities, same strengths, etc, so normally they would just join to form each others shadows, but in their case the split personality caused them to drift apart and change, meaning they wanted to each be a person in their own right, and having different personalities, they acted differently, and did different things, making them even more different.

Secondly, I do like all your ideas but I do find the first two to be slightly overpowered, however I really like the idea of your sigil-holder, especially his white box weapon, I do realize that both the others did have weaknesses, but they didn't really limit their power as much as many other codex's

Revlid
2010-09-01, 07:49 PM
Firstly, they were supposed to me more like that, essentially normally with their codex both the shadow and original are exactly the same, same personalities, same strengths, etc, so normally they would just join to form each others shadows, but in their case the split personality caused them to drift apart and change, meaning they wanted to each be a person in their own right, and having different personalities, they acted differently, and did different things, making them even more different.
No, I got that, I just felt it might make things too complicated - making it instead closer to (and I hate to bring it up, it's a cliche-and-a-half, but) the bits in Bleach where Ichigo is having trouble keeping hold of his Hollow. Have Frank use his doppelganger fine and dandy, but the longer he keeps it out, the more it starts having ideas of its own, until Hyde's totally in charge of the doppelganger...

Your way works too, this is obviously just a suggestion.

Secondly, I do like all your ideas but I do find the first two to be slightly overpowered, however I really like the idea of your sigil-holder, especially his white box weapon, I do realize that both the others did have weaknesses, but they didn't really limit their power as much as many other codex's
Thank you!
The Hamelin Codex isn't so powerful because it lacks any spells that can do real damage - it's heaviest hitter requires an army of rats, and even that's pretty weak. It mostly works in distraction and running away.

Marlo, on the other hand, is very strong - but then, he's meant to be. He's a Librarian-Page, after all, and a brute-force one at that - he's a boss battle, at least, likely over a misunderstanding with the protagonists.

Owrtho
2010-09-02, 01:35 AM
Well, seeing as some opinions on my entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9179056&postcount=70) might be nice, I'll give some on Revlid's.

Garnie Piper: Personality makes him sound like a loyal sneak and scoundrel, who knows he's no good in a fight so does his partners a favour and hides so he'll be out of the way and not have to worry about him.
The thing about rats being tangled in the tail is odd. Are the rats dead, a part of them, etc.? Also, not quite sure about the instinctively cowardly part, as many kinds of rats are known for being quite hostile or otherwise aggressive, particularly when cornered. Then again, many of the rats people encounter are of the more cowardly kinds.
Spells seem mostly useful for sneaking around, but in some cases he could be quite dangerous. If there aren't a number of rats around, he seems best suited for fighting multiple opponents (making use of his ability to swap places with them when about to be hit). Certainly is unlikely to avoid underhanded tactics.
On the whole the idea seems nice, though the connection to the Pied Piper of Hamelin is rather thin (outside of there being rats involved in each and the name). Then again, the lack of any ability to actually control rats (outside of the kings command), and the fact that the story started with Hamelin being filled with rats could mean it is actually tied to the rat infested town rather than the Piper who got rid of the rats.
Also, the art seems fairly good, though the side view makes him look rather older.

Marlo LeMane: Personality seems fine. Sounds somewhat like a decent guy but with what most would consider lax morals.
Wendigo are always fun, and the codex abilities seem to fit for the most part aside from the distinct lack of actual cannibalism involved.
Spells seem appropriate for the most part, though spit back seems like it would more likely be a part of the swallow whole (which looks to be misspelled by the way).
Art is decent, though says tooth codex (I expect that is due to changing the name after drawing it though). Also, it seems odd he would wear the symbol of his codex, but that's just me.

Pàomò Lí: Personality sound like a fairly believable introverted child. The part about disliking loudmouths seems a little off though given that he is (approximately) friends with some of the gossips, which are a group normally considered loudmouths.
The weapon seems to work. Not much I can say though given the lack of whitebox weapons shown so far.
Art fits the character well.

Owrtho

Elagune
2010-09-02, 03:41 AM
Koko Kozuka - Kasanip (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/4.png)

Last one done. This one's in colour because I wanted to practice my colours. I really like the way it ended up looking!

I'll take a look through the entries later.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-02, 03:58 AM
Aw, she's adorable!

Owrtho
2010-09-02, 04:12 AM
Good job, and in colour no less.

Owrtho

IcemanJRC
2010-09-02, 07:00 AM
:D That's awesome.

Fayd
2010-09-02, 08:32 AM

Last one done. This one's in colour because I wanted to practice my colours. I really like the way it ended up looking!

She's adorable! Good job. :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-02, 09:26 AM
Nice job! And you know what? I'm going to try one.

PAGE

Name: Niobe Shale

Personality: Aloof, but extremely passionate and interested about the things she cares about. She likes to take her time and think things over before taking action, and actually enjoys researching. Once you get her going, there is no stopping her.

Codex: Golem Codex

Strengths: Pages of the golem codex are extremely physically strong and durable. Each individual page is covered in a certain type of stone, whether on certain parts of the body, or the entire body. As the page grows in strength, the stone covers more of the body. They are all but immune to fire and fire attacks and can actually endure being immersed in magma for a short period of time. Furthermore, pages of the Golem Codex are actually able to consume rock in place of food (That doesn't mean it tastes good or is easy to digest though.). The pages are also able to attach stone to themselves to accelerate healing; this works best if the stone they attach is identical to their "natural" stone.

Weaknesses: Unless the page in question is lucky enough to have pumice as the chosen stone, then pages of the Golem Codex are unable to swim. Furthermore, being blasted with cold immediately after being in a hot place (For example, being in the path of a firehose after walking out of a burning building) will shatter the stone and will kill them. And they can drown, although they can hold their breath longer than a normal human can. If the stone shell is completely shattered the page is stunned and very easily injured; the skin hidden under the stone is very fragile. They are also quite slow.

Spells:

12: "Hammer Arm"
The page covers her hand and arm in an even larger amount of stone, then slams it on the ground with all her might, cracking the ground and sending a shockwave towards her target.

17: "Stone's Throw"
The page encircles herself with spinning stones and sends them flying out in all directions.

Pages of the Golem Codex have few spells; most of their abilities lie in physical strength and durability. With stony fists, they are able to shatter brick with no trouble, and their shell provides natural bulletproof armor, and much greater defense against a page's attacks.

Picture:
None yet, sorry. However, Niobe, in her human form, is a large girl, with brown eyes and short curly brown hair. She wears a jade necklace. In her Golem form, she has granite arms, legs, hands and feet, and glowing red eyes. All pages of the Golem Codex have glowing red eyes.

Codex Symbol:
A head carved out of sandy-colored stone, with glowing red eyes, staring straight at the viewer.

Silverraptor
2010-09-02, 09:26 AM
Good job, and in colour no less.

Owrtho

:D That's awesome.

She's adorable! Good job. :smallbiggrin:

I have to agree with these.:smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2010-09-02, 09:42 AM
Wow, Koko looks sweet! In both senses of the word!

Well, seeing as some opinions on my entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9179056&postcount=70) might be nice, I'll give some on Revlid's.
I HAVE CREATED AN ECONOMY!

I like your entry, she's a very original character! Cool concept.
I'd suggest that she gives her comrades trinkets or notes so they'll remember her better. You also might want just a slightly longer Personality description, maybe.
I'll also suggest "Forget Me Not" as a possible spell name.
"somewhat sad as if resigned to she doesn't want." What is she resigned to? Why can't anyone her horns?
I like the art. Brings across her character quite well.
I'd expect a rather cruelly amusing running gag where she is led to believe that people have remembered her, and it turns out to be a total coincidence (I'm in despair! My Page abilities have driven me to despair!).
Really like her, anyway. Well done!

Garnie Piper: Personality makes him sound like a loyal sneak and scoundrel, who knows he's no good in a fight so does his partners a favour and hides so he'll be out of the way and not have to worry about him.
While having the distinct benefit of preserving his own hide, yes. :smallwink:

The thing about rats being tangled in the tail is odd. Are the rats dead, a part of them, etc.?
Look up what real-life rat kings are. I'm not responsible if you choose to do so using Google Images.

Also, not quite sure about the instinctively cowardly part, as many kinds of rats are known for being quite hostile or otherwise aggressive, particularly when cornered. Then again, many of the rats people encounter are of the more cowardly kinds.
Yeah, stereotypes. "Cowardly rat" and such.

the fact that the story started with Hamelin being filled with rats could mean it is actually tied to the rat infested town rather than the Piper who got rid of the rats.
Yep! The Codex has some spells to control Rats, but the spell to actually call them to a place is quite rare, being as it is a major boost to their skills.

Also, the art seems fairly good, though the side view makes him look rather older. Yeah, I messed up there.

Marlo LeMane: Personality seems fine. Sounds somewhat like a decent guy but with what most would consider lax morals.
Wendigo are always fun, and the codex abilities seem to fit for the most part aside from the distinct lack of actual cannibalism involved.
Not that Bibliography doesn't have its fair share of darkness, but outright cannibalism seems a bit too gorey for it right now. Maybe if Marlo went ebil, but actually omnoming people is probably out, even if it does exist as a spell.

Spells seem appropriate for the most part, though spit back seems like it would more likely be a part of the swallow whole (which looks to be misspelled by the way).
:smalleek: Egg on my face, there.

Pàomò Lí: Personality sound like a fairly believable introverted child. The part about disliking loudmouths seems a little off though given that he is (approximately) friends with some of the gossips, which are a group normally considered loudmouths.
Consider him tsundere for them. :smallwink:

Cade Rentyr
2010-09-02, 10:25 AM

Hrm? I thought that spelling was an intentional pun --what with the 'hole-like vortex' in the description.

Kasanip
2010-09-02, 10:51 AM

Hooray!

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af275/umbrellako2/foxrrr.jpg

She looks very cute :smallsmile:

Prime32
2010-09-02, 10:55 AM
Hooray!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/Smileys/default/lol.gif

licoot
2010-09-02, 12:27 PM
I rally like Koko:smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2010-09-02, 12:32 PM
Hrm? I thought that spelling was an intentional pun --what with the 'hole-like vortex' in the description.
*re-reads spell description*
*pulls up notes*
*blinks*
How the hell did I forget my own pun?

Cade Rentyr
2010-09-02, 02:20 PM
*re-reads spell description*
*pulls up notes*
*blinks*
How the hell did I forget my own pun?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/Smileys/default/lol.gif

I apologize. But that was really funny, especially as a fellow pun-lover. :smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2010-09-02, 03:43 PM
Hooray!

Hahaha, that's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-09-02, 03:47 PM
Here's a partial concept.

PAGE: ? and ?
Codex of Mirrors (Doppelgangers)

The Codex of Mirrors is one of the rarest in the world, due to its requirements - it can only be inherited by a pair of twins.

? and ? are about as different in personality as you can get, one quiet and calm while the other is loud and emotional. Each is aware of what the other sees and thinks. The spells of the Mirror Codex allow the user to reflect powers (particularly light-based ones like Lensflash), take on the appearance or abilities of others, and create images in reflective surfaces.

20, Eye of the Mind: The user causes a nearby reflective surface to display what their twin currently sees.

39, Silver Door: A spell cooperatively cast by both twins, while touching reflective surfaces of identical shape and size (usually these are specially constructed). A gateway is created between the two mirrors - anything that passes through one emerges from the other.

?, ?: This spell enchants a mirror to show "the truth", revealing invisible creatures, etc. Maybe it allow normal people to see things as if they were Awakened. The enchantment slowly weakens over the course of a few days. Useful as a security device.

There is something odd about these Pages which may become apparent if more members of their Codex show up.
Members of the Codex of Mirrors aren't supposed to have separate personalities. Becoming a Page merges the twins into a single mind with two bodies.

However, twins normally join this Codex shortly after birth, before their individual personalities have had much chance to establish themselves. ? and ? became a Page in adulthood. The merged mind could not handle the strain and developed Disassociative Identity Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassociative_identity_disorder), assigning personalities to each body which do not exactly match either of the original people.

If you want extra weirdness, make one a crossdresser.
For names, the first thing that came to mind was "Jane and Janus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus)", but that sounds cheesy.

licoot
2010-09-02, 04:04 PM

That ones really similar to my Jekyll and Hyde one, its funny because they are pretty similar although both results are achieved by different methods

Owrtho
2010-09-02, 05:46 PM
I like your entry, she's a very original character! Cool concept.
I'd suggest that she gives her comrades trinkets or notes so they'll remember her better. You also might want just a slightly longer Personality description, maybe.
I'll also suggest "Forget Me Not" as a possible spell name.
"somewhat sad as if resigned to she doesn't want." What is she resigned to? Why can't anyone her horns?
I like the art. Brings across her character quite well.
I'd expect a rather cruelly amusing running gag where she is led to believe that people have remembered her, and it turns out to be a total coincidence (I'm in despair! My Page abilities have driven me to despair!).
Really like her, anyway. Well done!

Glad she's likeable.
I'd actually thought of such an idea and forgot to ever put it down.
That would be an interesting spell for the codex, but wouldn't fit for her to have it.
That is a typo as I forgot to put the word something. which horns?
Glad the art turned out well.
That would be up to Elagune.

Look up what real-life rat kings are. I'm not responsible if you choose to do so using Google Images.

Huh, hadn't been particularly aware of that myth.

Well, I figured there was a chance that it was either a typo or a pun, hence why I said it was likely a typo.

Owrtho

Tulio d Bard
2010-09-03, 01:04 AM
Here's a Rider Sigil-Holder:

SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Mortimer "Morty" Mortlock (birth name: Samuel Mortlock)
Age Range: 30s.

Personality:
Morty lives traveling around the country fighting Abyssals wherever he finds them. Although many would think he's a bad guy before knowing better, Mortimer has a good heart. He likes Heavy Metal (and sometimes other rock bands), traveling, beer, and fighting. Morty loves his Whitebox Weapons, naming each of them after heavy metal bands/musicians. He's known by Librarians all over the national territory, being both hated and loved, depending from person to person. Mortimer also keeps a lot of contacts, by which he receives information about Abyssal attacks. He dreams that one day he'll receive a Sunglass Whitebox Weapon.

Weapons:
1. "Lemmy" - Warhorse
A Cruiser Motorcycle that can reach incredible speed and power. Lemmy was the first Witebox Weapon recieved by Morty, and the one he likes the most. Can jump and grow spikes in its tires.
2. "Dante" - Warrior's Flask
A Hip Flask that gives anyone who drinks of its content (needs to be filled) an agility and strength boost. After the effect wears off, the user gets tired and slow. It also gives regenerative abilities.
3. "Tony" - Slayer Guitar
An Axe-Shaped Guitar with great damage power. When it hits a hard object, sound waves are released, dealing additional damage according to the strength of the attack (a particularly powerful blow may even hit the owner). Makes a good combo with Lemmy and Dante.
4. "Alice" - Burning Chains
A Chain that can be used to attack or hold things together. If swung with greatly speed, Alice begins to burn, dealing additional damage. Though activating such effect can be very difficult in normal conditions, it becomes an easy task if the owner has Dante's enhancements.

Appearance:
Morty is a tough man, with long blond hair and a short beard and mustache. Some scars can be seen all over his body. He wears a spiked leather jacket all the time. He also has a black hat.
Picture: http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/tulicloure/GitP/ac1c454.png(put spikes in his coat/jacket)

Sigil Symbol:
His Sigil symbol is a Skull. The Sigils are made of iron.
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/tulicloure/GitP/SkullSigil.png

Hope you like it. :smallsmile:

Zefir
2010-09-03, 01:21 AM
Grr Coffe and Prime i had the same Ideas as you. Only the Golem thing would also include metals and the mirrow man has a whitebox weapon , a mirrow.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 08:29 AM
So, let's see here, I think I've got an idea. A Hero's Codex, centering around the idea of Cú Chullain, Heracles, Jason, Arthur, and so on.

HalfTangible
2010-09-03, 08:31 AM
There needs to be a Spartan Codex.

'Nuff said.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 08:58 AM
There needs to be a Spartan Codex.

'Nuff said.

Well, the Spartans believed that they were descended from Heracles, unless a Hollywood movie that has been shown as slightly wrong has told me, and the Hero's Codex would include the powers of Heracles...

Prime32
2010-09-03, 09:46 AM
So, let's see here, I think I've got an idea. A Hero's Codex, centering around the idea of Cú Chullain, Heracles, Jason, Arthur, and so on.I don't see the theme. A hero is just someone who can change the world (ie. a protagonist). Those guys go about it in completely different ways. (Arthur was a leader, Cú Chullain was "SETANTA SMASH!", etc.)

Plus we already have the Hero's Mantle.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 09:49 AM
I don't see the theme. A hero is just someone who can change the world (ie. a protagonist). Those guys go about it in completely different ways.

Plus we already have the Hero's Mantle.

Well, many cultures have the idea of a "hero" like the ones mentioned, right? I was wondering if I could make a codex based on that.

Oh, yeah, the Hero's Mantle. Hm...

Prime32
2010-09-03, 09:51 AM
Well, many cultures have the idea of a "hero" like the ones mentioned, right? I was wondering if I could make a codex based on that.I fail to see how you can introduce secondary characters with the power of "being the protagonist" without making the story look like it was written on LSD. :smalltongue:

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 09:52 AM
I fail to see how you can introduce secondary characters with the power of "being the protagonist" without making the story look like it was written on LSD. :smalltongue:

Heh, true. :smalltongue:

Okay let's see here... has a Demon/Troll/Oni's codex been made yet? Or a Fae codex?

Prime32
2010-09-03, 09:55 AM
Okay let's see here... has a Demon/Troll/Oni's codex been made yet? Or a Fae codex?There's at least one youkai codex (Nine-tailed).

Would be interesting to see some dryads. Demons can enter Mary Sue territory really easily.

For Fae... just as long as they don't have wings. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk)

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 09:58 AM
There's at least one youkai codex (Nine-tailed).

Would be interesting to see some dryads. Demons can enter Mary Sue territory really easily.

For Fae... just as long as they don't have wings. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk)

So, Dryad, Demon, or Fae. I think I could manage Demon, though he may end up a bit too much like Crowley.

And that's actually what I was going to go for when I meant Fae, all the way up to weak against Cold Iron and all. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-09-03, 10:05 AM
You could easily argue that Pages as a whole are Fae/Youkai. There is more variety within that category than any codex has shown, anyway.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 10:08 AM
Yes, true. Though if I do Fae, I'll probably do a Seelie/Unseelie, or Sidhe. Dryad might be cool, though.

But now I'm curious as to what would happen if I made a Male Dryad. :smallamused:

Prime32
2010-09-03, 10:23 AM
Yes, true. Though if I do Fae, I'll probably do a Seelie/Unseelie, or Sidhe. Dryad might be cool, though.

But now I'm curious as to what would happen if I made a Male Dryad. :smallamused:Given that Page-ness is handed out by a sentient being, I don't see why certain Codices couldn't be single-gender depending on its preferences.

rocketpony
2010-09-03, 10:53 AM
Given that Page-ness is handed out by a sentient being, I don't see why certain Codices couldn't be single-gender depending on its preferences.

"BEHOLD! I, Tethys, have chosen thee, and now and forevermore shalt thou be A MERMAID OF THE ENDLESS WATERS."
"B-but I'm a bo-"
"NO BUTS now don the ceremonial shell bikini! AS IS OUR TRADITION"

(O, tragedy of Ocean Queen, who on the whole likes boys more than girls)

HalfTangible
2010-09-03, 12:44 PM

But now I'm curious as to what would happen if I made a Male Dryad. :smallamused:

Those are called Grove Keepers. They posses greater power over nature than dryads do but they exist in smaller numbers.

[/wc3 Reference]

vicente408
2010-09-03, 02:22 PM

For names, the first thing that came to mind was "Jane and Janus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus)", but that sounds cheesy.

Casper and Polly.

Herpestidae
2010-09-03, 07:46 PM
So, Dryad, Demon, or Fae.

PAGE
Name: Flora Grandston

Personality:
Playful and kind-hearted. Loves animals of all kinds, who tend to come to her.

Codex: SYLVAN CODEX - DRYADS
Dryads are pretty much walking plants. They take on the qualities of various trees and plants that they touch. Some use this to make themselves poisonous.
Strengths: Stronger in direct sunlight. Can absorb nutrients from the ground instead of eating.
Weakness: Unable to withstand cold weather for long. Vulnerability to fire.

Spells:
1: Tree Armor: The user is covered in Bark. Doesn't protect against fire.
The rest: Ever Play Pokemon? Choose as many Grass Type attacks as necessary and rename them.

"Human" Appearance: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1317/a717849.png

"True" Appearance: http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1008/d16/1325/a730997.png
(Please ignore the expansive chest. There's no way to turn that off)
Codex Symbol: Leaf and Twig.

*coughcough*

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 07:52 PM
...So, Demon or Fae...

Prime32
2010-09-03, 08:03 PM
...So, Demon or Fae...Except that all Pages are Fae, and Demons are Mary Sues.

...So

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 08:05 PM
Except that all Pages are Fae, and Demons are Mary Sues.

...So

Celtic Feyfolk, then? And demons could be done well. Just keep them close to mythology and have them act like Crowley. :smalltongue:

licoot
2010-09-07, 12:33 PM
I'm just checking, has Elagune stopped this or is it just dormant:
the character design contest not bibliography

Elagune
2010-09-07, 03:58 PM
School just started, things are getting busy.

Bear with me here.

Revlid
2010-09-07, 04:12 PM

Bear with me here.
I think he was asking whether you were still accepting submissions (which iirc you are, albeit once the backlog is done) as opposed to questioning the rate of design-approvals. We're all here with hope in our hearts! :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2010-09-08, 12:09 AM

Bear with me here.

Bearing with you here.

Also, my friend says he is drawing up my character, Jasper, for me. He says he'll be done with it by this weekend. Just letting you know.:smallsmile:

Fayd
2010-09-13, 08:42 PM

Bear with me here.

Bearing with you. How are classes going so far, by the way?

licoot
2010-10-01, 11:16 AM

Bear with me here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was pushing you, I was just wondering, seriously, take all the time you need

Silverraptor
2010-10-01, 12:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was pushing you, I was just wondering, seriously, take all the time you need

He said he will be going through this thread shortly, since he's at a point where he needs alot of characters in so few panels.

Cyborg Mage
2010-10-01, 01:57 PM
I've got an idea, which i'll get to work on over the course of this weekend. Basically, a librarian whose whitebox weapon is really more like-
A Whitebox PERSON
(Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn!)

No seriously, I think it's a pretty neat idea. Whether she (I'm deciding Male Librarian, Female Whitebox. Fanfic as you will.) herself is a weapon, which could be achived by extreme physical strength, fists that can make holes in demons (Forgot their proper names, sorry) or page-like abilities, or just making weapons appear from her own body. Again, will expand on this over the weekend. It's like two characters in one entry! (Wait, is that against the rules? Also, i'm using a lot of brackets here, aren't I?)

Fayd
2010-10-01, 02:56 PM
Well, after hearing your call for more extras, an idea came to me and I decided to get it down in text before I forgot it.

PAGE
Name: Ryan O'Sterling

Personality:
Hot headed, friendly, and loyal to a fault, Ryan is one of the rising stars of the Tiltstone Arena, if you'll forgive the pun. He might not.

Codex: SIDEREAL CODEX - STARFOLK
Strengths: Yeah, so, I'm really bad at making these up. Elagune, a vague star theme, maybe stronger at night or something.
Weakness: See above.

Spells:
1. "LEO'S ROAR"
The user creates a blast of force from a palm or shoulder, shaped like a lion of light. If you've ever played the "Tales of" RPG series, think of the move/technique/arte Beast.
2. "PISCES' DANCE"
Two small fish of starlight dance around the user, protecting them from incoming attacks.
51. "O'RYAN'S BELT!"
While not actually a true spell of the Sidereal Codex, he will occasionally say he's using this "spell" and then will punch someone in the teeth, no Lexicon magic involved. One of Ryan's favored techniques.

Unfortunately, I can't get the character creator gizmo to give me what I want with this and I have the art skills of an atrophied hippo, a verbal description will have to suffice.

Essentially, members of the Sidereal Codex are living constellations. They have a physical form, yes, but it is sometimes hard to see. Their features are mostly comprised of stars or glowing stardust. Kind of like this:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2007/316/reviews/915692_20071113_embed053.jpg

Except, of course, more well defined as a person. Also, while the term of the codex may sound like something out of Exalted, it is in fact a real word:

Sidereal

si·de·re·al
   /saɪˈdɪəriəl/ Show Spelled[sahy-deer-ee-uhl] Show IPA
–adjective Astronomy .
determined by or from the stars: sidereal time.
of or pertaining to the stars.
Use Sidereal in a Sentence
See images of Sidereal
Search Sidereal on the Web
Origin:
1625–35; < L sīdere ( us ) of, belonging to the stars ( sīder-, s. of sīdus star, constellation + -eus adj. suffix) + -al1

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-01, 10:15 PM
Well, I made the pictures for Morty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9281287&postcount=172). I also have some photos for his weapons, but I just notice they need to be made by me. So, yeah.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-01, 10:18 PM
SIDEREAL CODEX

So does he know Schroedinger Kung-Fu? :smalltongue:

Fayd
2010-10-02, 12:42 AM
So does he know Schroedinger Kung-Fu? :smalltongue:

Yes. And no.

Also, it isn't an Exalted reference, exactly, though I did shamelessly borrow their adjective.

Cyborg Mage
2010-10-02, 03:43 AM
Okay, i'm working on it now. I really mean it.
Also, I can't do very detailed drawings, and lack a scanner anyway, so i'll just do descriptions. Sorry.

SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Christopher Guild
Age Range: Late 40s

Personality:
An extreme workaholic, and takes his position as a Librarian very seriously. To him, one must always be on guard, that there is no peace, only the time between the appearance of another Abyssal. Most of the other librarians think he needs to lighten up-they don't say it to his face, though.

Weapons:
1.Instrumenti Bellum
A three-piece set of "weapons", each part explained below. Mostly.

1A. Dianna Silvers: See 2nd Character.

1B. Twin Links: A set of two easily-concealable ear-pod communicators, which can be willed into and out of existence by either wielder-rather like hanging up on a telephone. The first always remains with Guild, unless all 4 sigils of Instrumenti Bellum are in the same place, while the other can be given to whoever the person on the other end wants to (Or it can be stolen-this is difficult, the quarry usually needs to be unconsious or stripped of their auric defenses in some other way.). This method of communication cannot be tapped, jammed or affected by weather or location.

1C. Call to Arms: The last piece of Instrumenti Bellum, which allows Guild to instantly recall Dianna to his position. Using it repetedly can leave Guild fatigued, and can affect his ability to keep his Whitebox weapons in physical form. Plus Dianna is going to be quite annoyed if Guild calls her back in the middle of something important (Socially or Abyssal-ly). And most people are smart enough not to annoy a living weapon.

PHYSICAL/CLOTHING DESCRIPTION:
About 6' 10'', very thin, with tight cheekbones and sunken gray eyes, and a look of permanent focus on his face. He has graying, neatly trimmed hair, and usually wears a brown fedora bearing a silver-colured band, a long brown coat (Down to about his knees) which is almost always buttoned right up to the neck, black, creased trousers (I'm British. So what?) and black boots rising to about just over the ankles.

WHITEBOX DESCRIPTIONS:
The Twin Links appear as a single ear pod in one of the wielder's ears, with a white, hexagonal outer shell bearing the Instrumenti Bellum sigil (No, I don't have any ideas either. Feel free.) The Call to Arms appears as a small plastic case, rather like that on a set of car keys, with a single button, again bearing the Instrumenti Bellum sigil. And Dianna, well, see below.

And the main Whitebox:
WHITEBOX WEAPON
NAME: Dianna Silvers
AGE RANGE: About 17-18

PERSONALITY:
Most of the time, Dianna appears to be quite bubbly, and sometimes airheaded. She can easily become over-excited, and often misunderstands the seriousness of a situation. When it comes to her duties as a Librarian (Or rather, a Whitebox weapon), she does drop the act. She is serious about her work, but not as serious as Guild (And is, in fact, the only one who has ever stood up to him about it, apart from Jupiter).

WEAPONS:
1. HERSELF:
As a living Whitebox weapon, there comes a certain degree of awesome that comes with it. Dianna has incredible strength (At this point, at least comparable to a Cretian Codex member) and a slight degree of regeneration- she heals somewhat faster than a human, and a lot faster in sigil form. Against Abyssals, however, she takes on an entirely new power. She is covered in a field of Whitebox energy, which heavily amplifies her physical abilities against Abyssals. To an Abyssal, her punches pack the power of a war-hammer, a karate chop cuts like a blade, one of her kicks is like getting hit with a tank shell. A Living Weapon indeed.

2. TWIN LINKS
Normally, Dianna bears the 2nd Twin Link, although she can give it to whoever she wishes (Or it can be stolen), which while inactive has the apperance of an earring with the Instrumenti Bellum sigil engraved into it,

PHYSICAL/CLOTHING DESCRIPTION:
Dianna stands at about 5' 9'', with a fine-featured face, gray eyes slightly upturned at the ends (Away from, not beside, the nose) and brown-red hair which hangs most of the way down her back, tied into a ponytail where it reaches shoulder-length, and allowed to hang over her ears and form a short fringe. She usually wears a blue jacket (Unbuttoned) with two shirt pockets over a white t-shirt emblazoned with the Instrumenti Bellum sigil, gray trousers (Again, two pockets) and white running shoes.

Well, what do you think? Also, Latin is awesome.

EternalMelon
2010-10-02, 02:30 PM
My character:
Name: Kain Alexander
Personalty: A sad person, only truly happy around his friends. Master at faking his emotions. Usually depressed and finds that the emotions are great for the creation of the arts. Specifically Drawing and poetry. Hes lazy and doesn't like shoes or sock that much.Loves chocolate. Spends most of his time inside and his skin covered up due to the amount of scars on his arms/legs. His Mark of Heart is on his forehead, and he keeps it covered with a red fedora.

Codex: Heamatante (Blood-Shaper)
Strengths: Normal blood loss has no effect. Members of this codex can move there blood like an organ.
Weaknesses: Blood cannot clot naturally, an unconscious (or energy deprived) blood-Shaper will blead out until dieing, even from a small wound. Blood-Shapers scar easily.
Spells:
1. Blood Dagger: User shapes their blood into a strong and sharp knife of varying sizes.
2. Blood Barrier: The users blood forms into a sturdy shield of varying sizes.
3. Blood hand: the users blood shoots out and grasps an object. Distance varies.
4. Writing on the wall: the user can write a message on the wall only visible to people of his codex, and those he wants to. (to the All-Seeing codex the words, or pictures are always visible)
5. Cryptic Words: Similar to writing on the wall. but the words are written on the receivers next visible wall. (That he can read from, the message moves with the receiver every five minutes until read)

The Codex:

All Blood-Shapers have a mark that is permanently open. This is called their Mark of Heart. The mark Can not be use in any way to shape blood nor can it be closed of get an infection. The Marks purpose is to make a focal point of closing injury. Five minutes after the Blood-Shaper stops Shaping his blood or using a lexion the energy gets transferred. If the Shaper is knocked unconscious before this five minute period he will bleed to death unless awakened (by bandaging his MoH).

Many humans inducted into this codex were at the brink of death by blood loss. Or they had a fear of bleeding. Blood-shapers have to spend energy closing there MoH, this makes the energy needed to survive is greater then a normal human, or page. This makes a lot of Blood shapers use ink for energy boosts. this ink dependency (thou not used be every one) has made the Heamatante population scarce. Many join page gangs. Abyssal Blood-Shapers are less common because during decent it is hard for the Blood-Shapers to maintain blood control, bursting arterys and bleeding to death is what usually happens.

Looks:
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1010/d02/1352/4cf6811.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39952433)

The Codex symbol is a teardrop of black blood.

Change what you want, Especially the name. Might be too dark but, meh, what ever.:smallsigh:

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, if you haven't read this character yet. that its not done, as an excuse for me wanting to see if you at least want tho codex, or if its too dark.

Elagune
2010-10-02, 08:23 PM
Mireille Bessette - Rejected
Kennet Wara - Maybe
Flora Grandston - Accepted
Jeff Christel - Maybe
Gabriel Springfield - Maybe
Kirsty McArther - Maybe
Garnie Piper - Accepted
Marlo LeMane - Accepted
Paomo Li - Maybe
Suha Naji - Maybe
Frank 'Jekyll' Janian - Rejected
Yvette Grayson - Maybe
Archibal Weden - Maybe
Iguruai Hood - Accepted
Justin "Beethoven" Vivaldi - Maybe
Jake Wayne - Maybe

Mireille Bessette is rejected due to how complicated her Whitebox Weapon is. It's a great idea, but unfortunately simply explaining the concept of the weapon in story would take a page, and it completely overrules all previous rules of engagement. Sorry.

Frank 'Jekyll' Janian is rejected due to his Codex. I can't go on about that, but the doppelgangers have already been planned out.

Yvette Grayson - Whoa, what the heck is this? Somebody's gonna have to explain the legend on this one to me.

Anyway, I want to say that I prefer simple as to complicated. I simply have more control that way, and more ways to fit a character into a story. A character whose Codex or weapon is too complicated will generally be rejected.

Three more pages to go through.

Herpestidae
2010-10-02, 08:40 PM
And I am 2-for-two! Sweet!

EternalMelon
2010-10-02, 09:03 PM
Anyway, I want to say that I prefer simple as to complicated. I simply have more control that way, and more ways to fit a character into a story. A character whose Codex or weapon is too complicated will generally be rejected.

Aww. the complexity of my codex isnt that bad, but we shall see.

Herpestidae
2010-10-02, 09:12 PM
Alright, now the hard part: What can I do for a sigil? I'll have to think...

Owrtho
2010-10-02, 09:59 PM
Aww, only a maybe for Suha? Well, at least it isn't a rejected.
And her powers would make her easy to add later.
As for Yvette Grayson, well, there are actually a few myths around which it could be based, mainly originating around the Philippines, but also in other parts of Asia, and South and Central America (I listed specific types here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9196754&postcount=109) if you care to google them).
The various monsters in the myths are generally considered a type of vampire. They share in common the ability to detach their head from their torso (or in the case of the Manananggal their upper torso from their lower). In most cases they also trail their internal organs. The majority of types are exclusively female, though at least one type is exclusively male, and some may just be predominantly female. They general share an aversion to sunlight, and in most cases drink blood.
In some cases, ways to kill them included keeping them from returning to their body before sunrise, or finding their body and filling it with sharp objects to shred their organs when they returned.
I could try to go into more detail if you like, but this is mainly what I can recall of the top of my head.

Owrtho

memnarch
2010-10-02, 10:09 PM
Here's the wikipedia article for the penanggalan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penanggalan).

Silverraptor
2010-10-02, 10:19 PM
Kennet Wara - Maybe
Jeff Christel - Maybe
Kirsty McArther - Maybe
Garnie Piper - Accepted
Marlo LeMane - Accepted
Paomo Li - Maybe
Suha Naji - Maybe
Yvette Grayson - Maybe
Archibal Weden - Maybe
Iguruai Hood - Accepted
Jake Wayne - Maybe

Mireille Bessette is rejected due to how complicated her Whitebox Weapon is. It's a great idea, but unfortunately simply explaining the concept of the weapon in story would take a page, and it completely overrules all previous rules of engagement. Sorry.

Frank 'Jekyll' Janian is rejected due to his Codex. I can't go on about that, but the doppelgangers have already been planned out.

Yvette Grayson - Whoa, what the heck is this? Somebody's gonna have to explain the legend on this one to me.

I don't see Jasper there...:smallfrown:

memnarch
2010-10-03, 12:29 AM
Possibly because Elagune is half way through page 5?

Elagune
2010-10-03, 12:57 AM
Garnie Piper - Revlid (http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/Bibliography/5.png)

One done.

I've got my eye on a couple other 'Maybes' that could work, but there are some slight problems with each of them. The Phoenix one is most likely to get picked right now, though.

'Accepted' is usually a strong, simple idea that I can do a lot with. Or a really interesting-looking character that's a little different from the rest. Revlid's characters are really interesting, which is why they made it in. Herpestidae's characters are simple, and he doesn't give a ton of detail, which gives me a lot to work with.

'Maybe' means either the character doesn't have too much to it, or there might be a problem with implementing the character in the comic. If you want to boost a 'Maybe' into accepted, providing a little hand-drawn art is probably the trick. Don't worry about how bad your drawing is, I just want to see what makes this character different from the others. I'm a very visual person.

'Rejected' is rare. It really means there's something with the character that's fundamental and runs contrary with how the story is going to go. Nothing against the person who submitted it, of course.

P.S. Appearance is very important. A lot of these characters will either be extras or won't be focused on too strongly, so it'd be nice if they could have some visual impact. Revlid's characters are all very different from the standard manga/anime fare, which is why I like them so much.

Fayd
2010-10-03, 01:49 AM
Can we assume that some of the old maybes are still maybes? I'm considering going through and finding your posts for the current accepted/maybe/rejected list...when my brain doesn't feel like someone tried to clean it with a cheese grater.

Cyborg Mage
2010-10-03, 02:07 AM
I don't see Jasper there...:smallfrown:

I don't see Guild/Dianna either. Not rushing you or anything, but the wait is killing me.

Zefir
2010-10-03, 02:56 AM
Kennet Wara - Maybe
Jeff Christel - Maybe
Kirsty McArther - Maybe
Garnie Piper - Accepted
Marlo LeMane - Accepted
Paomo Li - Maybe
Suha Naji - Maybe
Yvette Grayson - Maybe
Archibal Weden - Maybe
Iguruai Hood - Accepted
Jake Wayne - Maybe

Whoho I think I konw this name cause I made this char if I remember right:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
Can't wait to see him.

IcemanJRC
2010-10-03, 09:05 AM
PAGE
Name: Jared Foster

Personality:
A practicing member of a modernized version of Maat, Jared believes that the entire universe is governed by an underlying unity and that the actions of one, if they would upset the Cosmic Unity, can cause consequences for either that person or many people because the universe is attempting to reinstate the balance. Because of this he is prone to looking down upon others who act in ways he considers upsetting to the Cosmic Unity. (Read as: most people) He is also devoted and loyal with the interests of those he is loyal to in mind, always.

Codex: Ma'ats Codex - Mummies
Strengths: Higher endurance and natural lie detecting (not always effective).
Weaknesses: Intolerant of high humidity and rather unappealing and obvious appearance.

Spells:

1. "Quell the Isfet"
The user imposes a sense of serene tranquility upon the target, releiving all feelings of violence, dishonesty and general chaos. The user must have extensive willpower to overcome that of the target in order to maintain this spell. This spell allows for use on multiple targets but the mental strain makes it difficult for those who are not veteran in practice. This spell manifests as an ankh imposed over the target.

16. "Rigid Cloth"
The user hardens a select number of bandages which can then be used defensively as a shield or offensively as a bludgeon. The feel of the bandages is akin to stone.

"Variation: Razor Cloth" The users bandages become not only rigid, but also gain sharp edges so as to be like blades.

Picture Being Commissioned, ETA One week or less.
Symbol is a work in progress as well.

I think this is how I'll present Jared to you. Pictures will be up soonish, got a friend drawing him. The first power is based off of what I was able to read about Ma'at, Isfet is Maat's opposite. Maat is order unity and the like, Isfet is Chaos, violence and such. If you so chose to select Jared, he and Opal were dating in the RP. Do with that as you will, continue or disregard, take any libertys you'd like, Elagune. (If you like him.) So, what are your thoughts community?

Don't want to be annoying, but looks like you might not have seen him.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-03, 12:37 PM
I think he still has to go through all of them.

IcemanJRC
2010-10-03, 12:40 PM
Yea, it just seemed like he was going in order and it just so happens that if he is, Jared would have slipped right about into the middle of the list, which lead me to believe he missed it, especially since I originally had the character spoiler blocked.

Jokasti
2010-10-04, 12:04 AM
SIGIL-HOLDER
Name: Taren
Age Range: Late 20s

Personality:
Outgoing, charismatic, friendly. Helps friends in a tight spot, and doesn't like killing, but he's pretty good (ok, maybe just decent) at it. Short term memory loss means he forgets important things until about a week later. Born and raised in France, took a vacation to Tiltstone and fell in love with Canada (especially snow, so he lurves Freezing Pages). Romantic. Sees the world differently than others. His left pinky is as though from an old black and white movie: he gave it's color to his love back in France who was blind so that she could see, but she left him. It's a sore subject. Don't mention the pinky. Seriously. I know you're thinking about doing it to see what happens. I warned you. He could probably be gay if you want.

Weapons:
PIQUANT DES ARC-EN-CIEL - Paintbrush
A small handheld object that can shift form from anything that can write, from a pencil to a paintbrush to a Tablet pen. Grants powers based on words, paintings and drawings. The more attuned to the Piquant the user is, the more shapes it can take and the more effective it's powers are. For example, a novice could draw a flower and a cartoony flower might appear, but a master could draw a single leaf and have a forest appear. Usually benefits and affects are temporary, but the user if attuned enough can take some of his own color to make it permanent.
SCARF OF BALANCE - Neck warming device
Mostly stays in active form, unless the user is wielding an unfabulous set of clothes. Can stretch and entangle, act as two extra arms, do more stuff the more attuned the user is. User has total balance.
HAT OF THIEVES - Cranium shielding weapon
Usually is in beret form. Where there is beautiful art, there are people that want to steal it. This grants the wielder more thief based powers based on how attuned the are: hiding behind small objects, lockpicking, safecracking, knifethrowing, magic eye lasers, etc. You know, normal thief stuff.

Taren (big image)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/jokasti/Taren-Full.png

Weapons (big again)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/jokasti/wbws.png

PAGE
Name: Jess
Age Range: Teenager (17)

Personality:
Normal teenage girl. Lives with her mom, Tiamat, title page of the Dragon Codex. Fiery attitude, but stable as a rock for her friends. She seems whispy at times, and moves very fluidly. Strong like an oak, but bendy like a willow. She embodies the Five Dragons (Spirit of the Codex) all in a post pubescent teenage female body.

Appearance: Short and with curly dark golden brown hair. Piercing green eyes. Has fangs and night vision. Occasionally, she will puff out some smoke or bubbles, levitate slightly, or find seeds and dirt in her pockets.

Codex: DRAGON CODEX - THE DRAGONS
Strengths: Other chapters take powers from one of the five dragons, but she is balanced and gets strengths and weaknesses from all.
Weakness: Has a hoard that they must protect. jess' is her jewels and gemstones.

Spells:
Visual Aid:http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/jokasti/spells.png
04 Exhalation of the Fire Dragon
(Breathes fire. Variations change the thing breathed)
17 Flight of the Air Dragon
(Grants wings. The more experienced the Dragon, the longer they can keep them up)
22 Life of the Wood Dragon
(Heals a little. Jess doesn't have much practice with this)
35 Claws of the Water Dragon
(Claws. Variations allow longer, more or less, and stronger claws.)
42 Scales of the Earth Dragon
(Grants a protective skin that can deflect bullets and most other things. However it doesn't last long)

Picture:http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/jokasti/Jess.png
[Insert Codex symbol here.] Forgot to do it... artistic creativity!
Jess' skin tone came out darker than I expected, but yeah, decided to add some images to my submissions.

licoot
2010-10-04, 04:41 PM
I just came up with this and I kind of like it:

PAGE
Name: Ligeia Achelous

Personality:
Noisy, but not annoyingly so, stuck up and slightly selfish, but not a cruel person, she just has a high view of herself. She is the type of person some people follow around and try to be like, and others just despise.

Codex:Luring Codex-Sirens
The sirens are pages who specialize in mind control, they weave delicate illusions around people and lure them into traps, they have been known to seduce innocent people by changing their appearance, and even convincing people that they know them. In battle they can change their appearance to that of the opponents ally, or their loved ones so they cannot bear to attack, they can even make it seem like they are in another place to were they are. The entire Luring Codex is made up of women.

Strengths: Can cast illusions, and trick their enemies, still looks young once old.

Weaknesses: Weak fighters, while casting illusions they can open themselves up for ambush, almost completely useless against the blind.

Spells:
1.Daze:
Confuse the enemy
5.Change appearance:
The page changes their appearance.
7.Warp surroundings:
Change the look of the landscape, however if it is touched the old landscape can be felt.
21.Chilling touch:
If the siren entices an enemy close enough for her to have a firm hold on the enemy she can temporarily paralyze the oppenent
23.Piercing scream:
The page lets out a shrill scream stunning the enemies, while she screams she looks like a withered old woman.

Appearance:
True: Beautiful, with long brown hair and brown eyes. Thin, with small wings emerging from her back (these are completely useless). She also has a slight glow coming of her skin.

Normal: Same as before, but without the wings and glow

Herpestidae
2010-10-04, 07:24 PM
There should be something about constant confusion for members of the Zephyr codex.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-04, 10:06 PM
Jokasti, how's that "color sacrifice" thing? Or are you letting that open?

Jokasti
2010-10-04, 10:08 PM
I forgot while I was doing the drawing, but if it's too complicated Elagune is free to take it out.

Herpestidae
2010-10-06, 09:42 AM
Alright, I've got a Battle Couple for you.

SIGIL-HOLDERS

Name: Lance Templar

Personality:
Gentle, stoic, protective.

Weapons:
1. Shining Armor- Breastplate. Allows Lance to create force fields, which become more powerful the closer Lance is to someone who needs protecting (usually his girlfriend, Aldonza).
2. Noble Gauntlets - Gauntlets (duh) Allows Lance to summon Weapons and other constructs, made of the same energy as his force fields.
Sigil: A circle with a knight's helmet.

Aldonza Rodriguez

Personality:
Low self-esteem. Sees herself as weak. Self-conscious about her scars. Lance is her "knight in shining armor."

Weapon:
1: Maiden's Colors- A bracelet from which Aldonza can produce kerchiefs out of thin air. She ties the kerchiefs onto a person's arm, granting them a temporary boost in abilities. Can also be used to heal minor wounds or invigorate the spirit. Works best on people she cares for.
Sigil: A circle with a kerchief inside.

Pale-skinned version of Aldonza, so you can see her scars properly:
http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1010/d06/0945/0e78352.png

Here's how they look, Weapons activated:

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1010/d06/0927/bc48158.pnghttp://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1010/d06/0932/bc45705.png

Backstory: Childhood friends, became boyfriend/girlfriend, attacked by Abyssal, Aldonza injured, Lance freaks out, blames himself, yada yada yada, gets sigil.

licoot
2010-10-06, 01:27 PM
I had another idea:smallbiggrin:
but I don't know if something similar has been done yet

SIGLIL HOLDER
Name: Clyde Monet
Age Range:7

Personality: Withdrawn and quiet, but inventive and creative, although not incredibly intelligent (by this I mean he is inginuative not a genius, I do not mean he is stupid). Spends most of his time drawing and painting, he has no need for friends, and can cope on his own, but he is not bitter or hard to befriend, he just tends to avoid the situations you make friends in, and doesn't mind being alone.

Weapons:
Canvas- a canvas which can create whatever Clyde can draw on it, however as the magically wizz into life, he seems to only create 2d images of spectacular detail, he has a couple of times managed to create objects, but he has no idea how, once or twice in his pictures small animals seemed to have a life of their own and ran around the page, but nothing more.

Active Appearance: a canvas that can hover in front of Clyde.

Symbol: A slightly curled white sheet in a circle

Appearance:
Light brown hair which covers his eyes, he looks kind of lonely, will a slightly bland face in many respects void from emotion. He wears a scarf, a jumper and jeans most the time, and keeps his sigil on his belt, next to a sort of tool belt of pencils and paintbrushes

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-06, 04:07 PM
I had another idea:smallbiggrin:
but I don't know if something similar has been done yet

Nah, just a couple or so.
I think that if they were Pages instead of Sigil-Holders, it would be necessary a Library rather than Chapter to protect them.
:smalltongue:

But that's not a problem. :smallbiggrin:

rocketpony
2010-10-07, 12:26 AM
The wiki link basically explains most of it. Floating head that disconnects from the body, trailing organs that are a liability, drinks blood (kind of ignored that teehee) doesn't take guff from nobody.

Doesn't bode well for Yvette that the only other kids you commented on were rejected :smalleek:

Welp, guess I gotta see if there's anything else gonna crawl outta my head that I can use here~

Fayd
2010-10-07, 09:02 AM
Had a thought for my most recent entry, so I went back and edited it in.

Revlid
2010-10-09, 10:13 PM
Garnie Piper - Accepted
Marlo LeMane - Accepted
Paomo Li - Maybe
Effin' A.

One done.
Oh, booyah, motherf*cker! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fT1C-xCCMg&feature=related#t=3m24s)
Don't worry, I shan't want many royalties, though Garnie himself would probably try you for them. :smalltongue:

'Accepted' is usually a strong, simple idea that I can do a lot with. Or a really interesting-looking character that's a little different from the rest. Revlid's characters are really interesting, which is why they made it in.

Appearance is very important. A lot of these characters will either be extras or won't be focused on too strongly, so it'd be nice if they could have some visual impact. Revlid's characters are all very different from the standard manga/anime fare, which is why I like them so much.
I'm grinning like a fool. Such praise!

Crafty Cultist
2010-10-23, 06:38 PM
Page
Name: Lucius Blake

Personality:
Lucius is calm and confident. He has no use for philosophical concepts like good, evil or honor, believing self interest to be the only worthwhile motivation. He is a schemer with little respect for authority and would rather sneak up behind someone with a stun gun than engage in a fair fight

Codex: Holy codex(Lucifer edition) - Fallen Angel
Strengths: Capable of flight, resistant to toxins, able to see perfectly in darkness, Can drain the vilality of living creatures by touching them, making them grow weak and healing him.
Weaknesses: Does not heal naturally, cannot harm a page of the angel codex, and grows weak over holy ground.

Spells:
14: Heavenly guidance revised: Dark whispers
Original: The users voice gains a soothing quality, which makes listeners trust their words subconciously. Generally used to convince evildoers to repent.
Revised: Roughly the same effect, but used for different purposes
19: Angelic ward revised: Dark sanctuary
Original: A wall of light forms that protects the user from harm
Revised: A ring of writhing shadow deflects enemy attacks
32: Judgement ray revised: Sinful blast
Original: A ray of blinding light shoots from the users halo that peirces the wicked and leaves the innocent unharmed
Revised: a ray of red light shoots from the users halo that burns flesh and rots wood
41: Heavens light revised: Darkness of the underworld
Original: Bright light bathes the area, blinding enemies and strengthening allies resolve
Revised: Dark shadow covers the area, hiding allies from sight and causing enemies hallucinate, hearing noises that aren't there and seeing movement out of the corners of their eyes

Image:
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/crafty-cultist/LuciusBlake.png

Codex Symbol: The lucifer edition has no symbol of its own, and Lucius no longer considers himself a member of the holy codex

About the Lucifer edition: Pages of the holy codex must follow laws that have juristiction over them and pray daily as part of the cost of their power. Lucius lost faith and turned on the principles of his codex, causing the change in his abilities.

licoot
2010-10-23, 06:54 PM
My instinct would have been that a fallen angel is what you get when a page of the holy codex succumbs to ink

Prime32
2010-10-23, 07:51 PM
I don't understand why people would go for the "pretty people with wings" angels when the original ones looked like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraphim (floating heads with six wings made of fire)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubim (figures with four bestial heads, four wings, wield flaming swords)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophanim (flaming wheels covered in eyes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashmallim (flaming thunderclouds which swallow things whole)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azrael (embodiment of death: four faces, four thousand wings, body covered in tongues and eyes)
Those would make way more awesome Codices. :smalltongue:

Did this "Holy Codex" thing come from the RP? Because a few people used the name yet it's never appeared in the comic.

My instinct would have been that a fallen angel is what you get when a page of the holy codex succumbs to inkThis makes sense to me. Though that isn't the only way to become an Abyssal.

Jokasti
2010-10-23, 08:15 PM
I may have said this before, but I don't think that having Page powers require prayer is a good idea. A Page gets his powers from the spirit of the Codex, so they'd be praying to him. Likewise for spells which only affect "the wicked". Plus it creates unnecessary overlap with the church-related characters.

Besides, I don't understand why people would go for the "pretty people with wings" angels when the original ones looked like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraphim (floating heads with six wings made of fire)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubim (figures with four bestial heads, four wings, wield flaming swords)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophanim (flaming wheels covered in eyes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashmallim (flaming thunderclouds which swallow things whole)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azrael (embodiment of death: four faces, four thousand wings, body covered in tongues and eyes)
Those would make way more awesome Codices. :smalltongue:

Did this "Holy Codex" thing come from the RP? Because a few people used the name yet it's never appeared in the comic.
This makes sense to me. Though that isn't the only way to become an Abyssal.

Yes it has- when Eve was explaining the Codices and their weaknesses, the Holy Codex, number 77, has Pages that must follows all laws that apply to them.

Prime32
2010-10-23, 08:23 PM
Yes it has- when Eve was explaining the Codices and their weaknesses, the Holy Codex, number 77, has Pages that must follows all laws that apply to them.:smallconfused: Huh.

Link?

Jokasti
2010-10-23, 08:24 PM
:smallconfused: Huh.

Link?

http://www.gaijinmanga.com/bibliography/main.php?geturl=ch.1|pg.16

Prime32
2010-10-23, 08:27 PM
I must be losing it, I don't remember that page at all. -_-'

Crafty Cultist
2010-10-23, 08:30 PM
My instinct would have been that a fallen angel is what you get when a page of the holy codex succumbs to ink

I thought I'd use the original fallen angel as a base. I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but I believe that Lucifer was cast down from heaven because he disagreed with gods veiw on how the world should be run. Lucius became disillusioned with the ideals of the holy codex and rebeled against them, leading him to his current state.

Fayd
2010-10-24, 11:25 AM
Well, there IS already a Diabolic Codex, if you look on the first (http://gaijinmanga.com/bibliography/main.php?ch=1&pg=1) page. It's the only all black page with white writing, and rather central to the picture.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 11:55 AM
Well, there IS already a Diabolic Codex, if you look on the first (http://gaijinmanga.com/bibliography/main.php?ch=1&pg=1) page. It's the only all black page with white writing, and rather central to the picture.At the risk of seeming like an idiot again, I'm pretty sure Elagune has never said what those are.

A lot of people seem to believe it's the Ink Codex.

Jokasti
2010-10-24, 11:59 AM
At the risk of seeming like an idiot again, I'm pretty sure Elagune has never said what those are.

I'm pretty sure there is no Ink Codex... I think it's there as a metaphor forthe people that use Ink though.

Fayd
2010-10-24, 12:58 PM
At the risk of seeming like an idiot again, I'm pretty sure Elagune has never said what those are.

Well, to be fair, he hasn't given them (or at least all of them, most of them are identifiable now) a name, I just came up with that name on my own, trying to be at least somewhat fitting.

It's the number of the dragon of the apocalypse, who is sometimes interpreted as the Devil, and is a reversed color scheme from the rest of the codex representations on that page. Diabolic means (roughly) devilish, hence my train of thought.

I don't think it represents Ink, but something far more sinister.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 01:02 PM
Well, to be fair, he hasn't given them (or at least all of them, most of them are identifiable now) a name, I just came up with that name on my own, trying to be at least somewhat fitting.

It's the number of the dragon of the apocalypse, who is sometimes interpreted as the Devil, and is a reversed color scheme from the rest of the codex representations on that page. Diabolic means (roughly) devilish, hence my train of thought.

I don't think it represents Ink, but something far more sinister.Except that there are already succubi, and they seem pretty much harmless.

Revlid
2010-10-24, 01:04 PM
Well, there IS already a Diabolic Codex, if you look on the first (http://gaijinmanga.com/bibliography/main.php?ch=1&pg=1) page. It's the only all black page with white writing, and rather central to the picture.I don't know about more sinister than Ink, but certainly more organised. Ink doesn't have a Codex of its own, it's an infection, a stain, a blotch that spreads on the pages of the other Codices.

Would you believe that I hadn't actually seen that page until now? The toothy-codex on the leftish? No idea it existed. Complete coincidence that I used a similar design for Marlo.

Crafty Cultist
2010-10-24, 01:45 PM
Well, there IS already a Diabolic Codex, if you look on the first (http://gaijinmanga.com/bibliography/main.php?ch=1&pg=1) page. It's the only all black page with white writing, and rather central to the picture.

I didn't make lucius in the image of a devil. His mythical creature was an angel, but while he has fallen from heaven, he has yet to reach hell. I hope that makes sense.

Herpestidae
2010-10-24, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there is no Ink Codex... I think it's there as a metaphor forthe people that use Ink though.

Not to mention that 666 is the mark of the beast.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 02:07 PM
For all we know it could be the Fiddle Codex. :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-24, 02:09 PM
Not to mention that 666 is the mark of the beast.
I don't think they're 6's though. It's about how they're aligned, it looks more like a symbol than numbers.