PDA

View Full Version : Cleric build help.

Kaeso
2010-08-14, 03:38 PM
Hey all,

I'm currently playing a cleric in a campaign (my first cleric ever) and he currently has the following stats:

Alignment: LG
Level: 6
Race: Human

Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 18
Cha: 12
(we used a pretty high point buy)
Feats: Extend spell, extra turning, divine metamagic (persistent spell), persistent spell (divine power) (I was allowed to take this feat one level before I can cast divine power, but it remains useless until I hit level 7).

He uses a greatsword because it's the favored weapon of his (homebrewed) god and he has the war domain.

I'm planning to take the contemplative PrC at level 11 (because my GM only allows me to take one prestige class), but I don't really know how I should advance my character any further.

What feats should I take, and what domains should I choose once I go contemplative? (My cleric already has the domains "good" and "war" and is allowed to basically take any domain that fits a lawful good character). I'm trying to make my cleric a frontline fighter but I'd also enjoy some spellcasting (buffs, heals and some offensive spells).

EDIT: PHB, PHB II, DMG and the Complete series are the only books allowed in this campaign.

Glimbur
2010-08-14, 08:02 PM
Your feats are off. You should have Extend spell, extra turning, Persistent Spell, and Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell).

Good is a pretty terrible domain, see if you can get Planning instead to swing Extend Spell as a domain ability. Travel Domain is also nice.

I would buy up more Con even if it costs Int and/or Cha, hp are very nice.

Kaeso
2010-08-15, 06:55 AM
Ah thanks, I'll edit that feat right away. It's like that on my sheet but I probably typed it wrong in a hurry.

I don't think I can change my domains by the way. My character was originally a paladin but I was advised to retrain him as a cleric, he has the good and war domains to retain that paladin-y flavour.

IdleMuse
2010-08-15, 07:08 AM
For your extra domain choices, it kinda sucks you aren't allows Spell Compendium, there's a good fair few there. I'm just gonna go through CD and see which there are also good...

Celerity is great for a frontline-style cleric.
Dream is alright, good granted power, spells occasionally feel a bit too evil.
Inquisition is great in certain campaigns where investigation is important.
Mysticism has some of the more common spells you'll be casting, though it's granted power is just limited-duration Divine Grace, which is generally poor, but flavourful for the Clericdin.