PDA

View Full Version : Whirling Blade + Duskblade

Tyger
2010-08-15, 02:04 PM
If you are channeling a spell as a swift action via Quick casting (lets say Vampiric Touch) and then you cast (though I am not sure how) Whirling Blade, then you throw the blade (per Whirling Blade) does the Vampiric Touch damage hit on each target that the Whirling Blade spell hits? Or does Vampiric Touch only hit the first target hit via Whirling Blade?

On that note, how does a Duskblade add other spells to their spell list?

Greenish
2010-08-15, 02:10 PM
You cast Vampiric Touch as a swift action, and get the free touch attack to deliver it.

Then you cast Whirling Blade as a standard action and hurt enemies with it.

There's no interaction. You can't channel spells as swift action, only as a standard action (at level 3) or full attack (at level… 13, was it?).

Mojo_Rat
2010-08-15, 02:44 PM
Vampiric touch is not cast as a swift action.

Pretty sure though it comes down tot he wording on the channel ability of the duskblade as to wether you can channel while your blade is 30 feet from you flying through the air.

my guess though is that you cannot any more than you could throwing daggers.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 02:46 PM
summing up
1) Arcane Channeling doesn't let you "cast as swift". It lets you "do a standard action to cast and deliver with the weapon attack". 13th's channeling is "full-attack action to cast and attack".
2) Whirling blade means you're doing a ranged attack. Channeling is melee.

Axinian
2010-08-15, 02:49 PM
Sort of related question. Suppose you have a weapon with the whirling ability, and you choose to activate it. Can you channel a spell so that it hits all adjacent enemies? Or does it only affect one? Can you even channel a spell and use this ability?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 02:51 PM
Sort of related question. Suppose you have a weapon with the whirling ability, and you choose to activate it. Can you channel a spell so that it hits all adjacent enemies? Or does it only affect one? Can you even channel a spell and use this ability?

Looks like so. Channeling is done as part of a full attack action, which the whirl is.

Boci
2010-08-15, 02:54 PM
A way to achieve what the OP is aiming for requires Duskblade/Bloodstorm Blade.

Tyger
2010-08-15, 03:03 PM
summing up
1) Arcane Channeling doesn't let you "cast as swift". It lets you "do a standard action to cast and deliver with the weapon attack". 13th's channeling is "full-attack action to cast and attack".
2) Whirling blade means you're doing a ranged attack. Channeling is melee.

Nope, the Duskblade ability Quick Casting lets you cast a Standard Action spell, once per day, as a Swift Action. That's the source of my question.

The spell Whirling Blade (page 239 Spell Compendium) is the spell in question, and it specifies that you "make a normal melee attack, just as if you were attacking with the weapon in melee" which is the other part of the inspiration for the question.

I see Greenish's point on the lack of interaction between Arcane Channeling and the Quick Casting ability of the Duskblade. I think Greenish's interpretation and proposal: use Quick Casting to cast Vampiric Touch, then touch someone, then cast Whirling Blade to hit a bunch of other folks does work perfectly though. Especially with the Dragonfire Inspiration bard singing his heart out. :)

In other words, you can't use Arcane Channeling on the spell you cast using Quick Casting, as the two are mutually exclusive. Granted, I think I can see the argument for allowing it though... :smallsmile:

And sorry, should have been clear that this was the Whirling Blade spell rather the enchantment.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 03:10 PM
Channeling goes the other way around. It is the action with the attack that allows you to also cast a spell on top of it. It doesn't let you use spellcasting coming from other actions to be channeled.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-15, 03:39 PM
Spellsword should be able to do what you describe, but it would only affect the first target, iirc.

Tyger
2010-08-15, 04:59 PM
Channeling goes the other way around. It is the action with the attack that allows you to also cast a spell on top of it. It doesn't let you use spellcasting coming from other actions to be channeled.

Yup, which is what Greenish said, and I agreed with.