PDA

View Full Version : 3D Oots!

Bongos
2010-08-15, 03:53 PM
Well 3D Roy anyways. We'll see if I remain inspired to do anymore models.
But now I have a fully pose able model of Roy on my computer, I wonder what I'll have him do next?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/3droy1.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/3Droy3.jpg

super dark33
2010-08-15, 03:54 PM
make him slash a goblin

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-15, 03:56 PM
That's really awesome, but should one of his feet be turned forward? And would the body be cylindrical?

Bongos
2010-08-15, 04:02 PM
Well, I had to make some choices in the 3D adaptation, so I made him square, the feet are modeled with one boot bigger than the other, just like the comic.

I was thinking about slashing the goblin too! Maybe that's next.

Bongos
2010-08-15, 07:16 PM
Roy gets a goblin!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/roygetsagoblin2.jpg

Bongos
2010-08-16, 12:48 PM
Which character should I do next?

Cizak
2010-08-16, 12:55 PM
His eyebrows looks a little wierd, I think it's the shadow.

Bongos
2010-08-16, 01:49 PM
Yeah, the eyebrows have the shadow, I chose to do the heads as a round globe,because the heads are round in the comic, and the way the eyebrows extend impossibly beyond the head in the comic makes some problems when applied to a 3D object.

It's kind of strange adapting something that is so intentionally and purposefully 2D to 3D.

Next up is Thog, because he is basically a version of Roy crossed with a goblin so that makes it easy.

monomer
2010-08-16, 05:28 PM
Which character should I do next?

MITD!!! :smallbiggrin:

Bongos
2010-08-16, 07:05 PM
MITD!!! :smallbiggrin:
yeah, I was trying to think how I could do that...I need to make some new backgrounds too, like a dungeon crawl, or Cliffport....

Yay, Thog got ice cream!!!!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/thoggoticecream1.jpg

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-16, 07:08 PM
Thog should look happier, ish not real thog is he doesn't look happy when having icecream.

Bongos
2010-08-16, 07:34 PM
Thog happy now!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/thoggoticecream3.jpg

Domochevsky
2010-08-16, 09:42 PM
Needs bigger tusks. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 03:53 AM
That's really awesome, but should one of his feet be turned forward? And would the body be cylindrical?

Yeah, I agree they should be turned forward. As for cylindrical, I always imagined them to be that.

The ice cream in the Thog pic looks wrong in terms of perspective. The way it is makes Thog's arm looks really tiny.

banjo1985
2010-08-18, 10:47 AM
The ice cream in the Thog pic looks wrong in terms of perspective. The way it is makes Thog's arm looks really tiny.

Either that or Thog got hold of a REALLY big ice cream...which is always liable to happen. You know what he's like wabout his sprinkles.

In fact, there are no sprinkles!

:thog: thog want sprinkles!!!

Bongos
2010-08-18, 11:57 AM

That would be the perspective foreshortening.

Also in Oots the arms always seem to conveniently change length. And it is a big ice cream, almost as tall as Thog's body.

The proportions are taken directly from the Oots comic that I use as an underlay. I'm curious about the feet, the comic always shows them splayed to the side (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0337.html)?

As far as cylindrical bodies, it just would not work, the cylinder would extend way to far in front and back, unless it was an oval shaped cylinder. Maybe I'll try that.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 02:38 AM
That would be the perspective foreshortening.

Also in Oots the arms always seem to conveniently change length. And it is a big ice cream, almost as tall as Thog's body.

I do understand what foreshortening is I'm just saying that ice cream cone should be bigger if the arm is meant to be coming towards the audience. And as for being as tall as Thog's body, it's a stick figure meaning the lengths and dimensions of objects are not accurate to the real world. Thog's head is as tall as his body which is not anatomically correct so who's to say if that ice cream cone is too big. Not to mention the shadow from the ice cream cone on Thog's face gives the illusion it's an inch from his head.

Bongos
2010-08-19, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the ice cream cone is just about an inch from Thog's head, the heads extend really far because they are modeled as globes.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/thogdemo2.jpg

When I'm extruding Rich's simple 2D shapes with simple 3D shapes I come across all kinds of issues with where things go. Like the swords on the back poking into the globe heads. I'd have to add more complexity to the 3D shapes which I don't want to do for various reasons. I'm just dorking around.

But if you want the ice cream to be bigger, I'm sure Thog will go with that.
THOG ICE CREAM GROW. THOG VERY HAPPY NOW!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/thogveryhappy3.jpg

I think I'm going to make them all dance in a circle next, then fight, then I'm going to make Xykon eventually. Then Belkar. MitD I'm still thinking about an approach. Do I model the dark as a solid? Or do I make the umbrella cast black colored light and his eyes a yellow colored light?

I really want to model Tiamat for some reason.

Domochevsky
2010-08-19, 02:09 PM
Hm, i'm thinking that the body could stand being a big "thicker" in general. (Right now its kinda flat.)

Bongos
2010-08-19, 04:49 PM
If Thog eats that ice cream he'll get thicker alright.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 08:13 PM
If Thog eats that ice cream he'll get thicker alright.

He'll gain a level and get the class feature Love Handles.

Bongos
2010-08-20, 04:45 PM
Thanks Dr. Epic you just gave me a great idea.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-20, 05:13 PM
Thanks Dr. Epic you just gave me a great idea.

By all that is sane, what have I done?!?!? :smalleek:

Demonia
2010-08-20, 05:22 PM
WOW!!! THIS IS EPIC!!!:smalltongue:
Do haley next plllleeeeeaaassseeee XD

Gray Mage
2010-08-20, 05:55 PM
This is great. :smallbiggrin:
I specially like Thog's reflection on his axe. You should try making Redcloak now, it would be awesome.

Bongos
2010-08-23, 12:51 PM
I'm working on new stuff and some modifications, just music rehearsal is taking up a bit of my time right now.

I think Haley and other female characters will have to be cylindrical. I'm still going with the "Sponge Bob" approach for most of the guys.

dsmiles
2010-08-23, 12:55 PM
How about some "Sexy, shoeless god of war" action?

Bongos
2010-08-23, 01:48 PM
Yeah, we'll be seeing Belkar done in 3D before too long. I'm trying to get through the easier characters first. Stylistically Belkar is not much different that Roy.

It's all those characters with hair I'm saving for later. Belkar's stubble doesn't count.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-23, 04:16 PM
Yeah, we'll be seeing Belkar done in 3D before too long. I'm trying to get through the easier characters first. Stylistically Belkar is not much different that Roy.

It's all those characters with hair I'm saving for later. Belkar's stubble doesn't count.

So, ya working on Xykon and Red Cloak then?

Bongos
2010-08-23, 04:47 PM
Next up is Epic Thog. Then we'll see, Redcloak and Xykon soon. Xykon should be challenging because of his robes.

Weimann
2010-08-23, 04:52 PM
Good work!

If you are looking for areas to improve in, I'd suggest looking at the feet first. They really do look strange.

Otherwise, very nice :)

super dark33
2010-08-23, 06:07 PM
make durkon drinking beer

Maxios
2010-08-27, 02:01 PM
Make Elan playing his lute! :elan:

Bongos
2010-08-27, 03:46 PM
Worked on some of the changes suggested, better boots and thicker bodies. The fangs are turning out to be problematic. Also worked on this other project.
The MitD Fashion Show (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165958)

Maxios
2010-08-28, 02:56 PM
Cool. Which character are you currently making?

Bongos
2010-08-28, 05:10 PM
I'm working on a scene with Thog and an Epic Ice Cream Cone. I think a hobgoblin might be next, as it would just be a simple alteration of models already made.

Mostly I have no real plan. I go where the inspiration takes me, since this has to be fun for me to want to do it.

Eventually if I have enough characters I'd like to reenact a scene or strip, but that is in the future.

Maxios
2010-08-28, 05:23 PM
I'd go with a hobgoblin, they're just green goblins. I'd also make Belkar, or Shojo.

Drakevarg
2010-08-28, 06:11 PM
Just a thought, but the big boot is supposed to be on the same side as the big eye. It's a pseudo-perspective thing.

Bongos
2010-08-28, 08:12 PM
Just a thought, but the big boot is supposed to be on the same side as the big eye. It's a pseudo-perspective thing.

I don't think that is an actual rule, at least the first comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0697.html) I went to that had Roy in it contradicts you. Sometimes it's on the big boot side, sometimes not. I used an underlay to trace Roy and I guess in that particular image the large eye was on the small boot side.

Critiques are fine, I'd also love to hear if people actually liked the models.

Maxios
2010-08-29, 01:15 AM
They're awesome. Great! What program did you make them on?

Bongos
2010-08-29, 11:50 AM
I'm using a program called FormZ. An older version.

Maxios
2010-08-29, 09:45 PM
Ah. Do a battle scene with Roy and Thog, with a bunch of goblin's watching. It'd use the models you've made already so you don't have to make new ones.

Gulaghar
2010-08-30, 09:13 PM
Pretty dang awesome. I'm gunna have to watch this thread.

kaptainkrutch
2010-09-05, 09:52 PM

That's actually the rule for everyone BUT Roy. His is the opposite most of the time.

imp_fireball
2010-09-05, 11:52 PM
Roy gets a goblin!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/roygetsagoblin2.jpg

Prepare for criticism:

You should supplant the eyebrows right on the face (as part of the skin) so that it isn't awkward to look at it from any angle besides forwards. Also, the body should be at least cylindrical - or slightly ovalish so that Roy doesn't have a flat bottom like Bender from futurama.

Of course, this all demands that Roy look different from how he appears in the comic, but you can retain the stick appeal with some creativity.

Roy should be able to look like it'd be comfortable for him to turn his shoulders (pauldrons) forwards or backwards in proportion to his body. That's just one example of 3-dimensional dynamicism though.

Also, try to avoid complex shadows if they are stick figures - go with a simple circular shadow that depends largely on the size of the figure rather than a shadow that conforms to their shape.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 01:09 AM
In all fairness, he did do one heck of a job. I doubt many of us on these fourms (including me), may have done it so well. the only thing I idn't like was the eyebrow shadows. The rest was pretty good.

Bongos
2010-09-06, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I'm still working on more models, but I have to go and resize the posted images or spoiler them first as I've been notified they are oversized.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 01:05 PM
alright. Perhaps you could make death's lil helper, also known as Belkar next/

Romanes eunt do
2010-09-13, 09:45 AM
Nice work, Bongos. It makes me dream of that OotS video game that may never be, but is winner of a zillion awards in my head. :elan:

Dvandemon
2010-09-20, 12:05 AM
I think you should make everything rounded because the corners juxtaposed with the curves i slightly odd. Firstly, when you figure how, make the pauldrons more rounded and poking into his head less. Can you make the toes of the boots rounded and not sharp corners? I don't mind the eyebrow shadows (can you turn the shadow off?). The corners on the torso should be rounded down like they were sanded into curves, you know what I mean? Either way, if you do it or not, that's so very super awesome :smallbiggrin:!

Maxios
2010-09-21, 01:43 PM
When are the next characters going to be up?

Bongos
2010-09-22, 07:16 PM
actually I'm nearly finished with a hobgoblin, after making some changes to my other models....

but then I got sidetracked drawing the MitD as a dalek, you know how it goes.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/MitD%20Fashion%20Show/DalekMitd-2.jpg

Maxios
2010-09-22, 08:04 PM
That's actually a pretty good drawing.