PDA

View Full Version : Recording devices...

Zovc
2010-08-18, 04:24 PM
I just got back from the first day of this semester and my History professor encouraged us to record the lectures, so I think I will do that.

Problem is, I don't have a device capable of recording (unless you count my laptop + headset combo, but that is banned in the format). Does anyone have experience with mp3 players that record, or any other digital device that does recording?

The class is an hour long, so it obviously needs to be able to record an hours worth of audio, but being able to store more than that would be excellent. On the days I have the class I have plenty of time between my two lectures to back stuff up to my laptop, though.

Joran
2010-08-18, 04:26 PM
I just got back from the first day of this semester and my History professor encouraged us to record the lectures, so I think I will do that.

Problem is, I don't have a device capable of recording (unless you count my laptop + headset combo, but that is banned in the format). Does anyone have experience with mp3 players that record, or any other digital device that does recording?

The class is an hour long, so it obviously needs to be able to record an hours worth of audio, but being able to store more than that would be excellent. On the days I have the class I have plenty of time between my two lectures to back stuff up to my laptop, though.

I had a classmate use a webcam on a stand, recording video into his laptop. Are laptops allowed?

Moff Chumley
2010-08-18, 04:33 PM
Here ya go. (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1/)

Zovc
2010-08-18, 04:41 PM
I had a classmate use a webcam on a stand, recording video into his laptop. Are laptops allowed?

No, laptops aren't allowed, and mine is old so it doesn't have a built-in webcam/mic.

Keld Denar
2010-08-18, 05:03 PM
Does anyone remember Yak Bak?

Do eeet!

Lioness
2010-08-18, 05:15 PM
My iPod Nano records...I don't know whether it'd be powerful enough though.

The Antagonist
2010-08-18, 06:28 PM
I always use my Flip video camera for recording audio. Gets about an hour and a half or so of media.

Zovc
2010-08-18, 07:17 PM
It looks like I'm going to have about $70 to spend on this if I want to eat dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-18, 07:41 PM
Well, there's always eBay...

Zovc
2010-08-18, 07:55 PM
There is, but I was hoping to be able to pick something up from BestBuy while I was in town tomorrow, so that I would have the recorder ready for Friday.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-18, 08:49 PM
Best Buy should have plenty in the way of handheld recorders.

Zovc
2010-08-18, 08:57 PM
Best Buy should have plenty in the way of handheld recorders.

Indeed, I was just hoping I could get some recommendations.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-18, 08:59 PM
For just recording spoken word, anything is gonna work as long as it has enough space on it. The sound quality on modern recorders shouldn't be a big concern; they'll all be sufficient as long as there isn't too much background noise.

Winter_Wolf
2010-08-18, 11:32 PM
My wife's in the same boat with needing a recording device. You can get one for between $40-50 USD from Walmart. Olympus, even. It may or may not be sold at your particular location, though. :( I think we ended up ordering hers online. I forget the exact model, but it is digital and has a USB port so you can download to your PC instead of erasing stuff when you get to capacity.

factotum
2010-08-19, 01:23 AM
It looks like I'm going to have about $70 to spend on this if I want to eat dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.

Just dinner and lunch costs you $70? :smalleek: What kind of student ARE you?

Vaynor
2010-08-19, 01:39 AM
Just dinner and lunch costs you $70? :smalleek: What kind of student ARE you?

I think he meant that if he spends any more than that, he won't have enough for lunch and dinner.

rakkoon
2010-08-19, 02:14 AM
Or he has some major wooing to do.