PDA

View Full Version : You know you've made a D&D convert when..

pendell
2010-08-19, 02:13 PM
... you say something weird, and your wife's response is, "In Common, please."

In ordinary conversation.

I have her now.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-19, 08:44 PM
Well not D&D but geek.....

When you're asked by a friend, who at the start of your friendship was a completely normal person, that you've let into the world of geeky-ness, which manga's or animes you would recommend.

And you don't even read/view any damn manga/anime.

Starscream
2010-08-19, 09:09 PM
I taught one of my roommates in college to play. He once described winning a video game level on the first try as a "natural 20".

Skeppio
2010-08-19, 09:35 PM
My bro and I got into D&D at the same time, so neither of us really converted each other. I do often tell him that the wierd things we look at on the net have no saving throw or that they deal INT and SAN damage. :smallbiggrin:

Silly Wizard
2010-08-19, 10:05 PM
One of my friends was in the closet about Dungeons and Dragons until recently, after I introduced it to him. However, we were able to convert him; he has taken the next step, and bought his own dice set- and even bought a second d20 and d4 for his set.

At one point, a friend that I introduced D&D to told me I failed my spot check after I missed a stop sign.

Flame of Anor
2010-08-19, 10:12 PM
One of my friends was in the closet about Dungeons and Dragons until recently, after I introduced it to him. However, we were able to convert him; he has taken the next step, and bought his own dice set- and even bought a second d20 and d4 for his set.

At one point, a friend that I introduced D&D to told me I failed my spot check after I missed a stop sign.

No additional d6? I see someone's making insufficient use of greatswords and Sor/Wiz spells.

ghost_warlock
2010-08-19, 10:32 PM
No additional d6? I see someone's making insufficient use of greatswords and Sor/Wiz spells.

I got oodles of d6s just from raiding the family collection of bored games; no need to buy them.

Rowsen
2010-08-19, 11:37 PM
My bro and I got into D&D at the same time, so neither of us really converted each other. I do often tell him that the wierd things we look at on the net have no saving throw or that they deal INT and SAN damage. :smallbiggrin:

At least resting cures ability damage.
And I refer to eating and drinking as 'Restoring HP', but that's more an MMO thing.

Doctor Acula
2010-08-20, 06:43 AM
One time I was working at a boyscout camp and I had a late night dnd came, only one two of my players had played table top rpgs before, only one played dnd. From everyone who it was new to for that whole simmer any time anything impressive happened was a "Natural 20 on your Awesome Check"

The Succubus
2010-08-20, 06:52 AM

Failed a stop check, shurely?

RandomNPC
2010-08-20, 05:15 PM
Failed a stop check, shurely?

Don't call me Sherly.

We have a gamer who my wife found at work. When she heard the Final Fantasy music from his PSP and they started talking. It took 3 months of inviting him, but now he plays D&D too.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-08-20, 05:28 PM
... someone who has never played is so excited for your upcoming campaign that he doodles new character sketches in his spare time.

... half of a new convert's conversation with college friends are centered on preparation for your new campaign.

I'm DMing a campaign this fall where 6 of the 8 players have never played D&D before, and all of them are super excited! :smallbiggrin: I'm so proud!

Moff Chumley
2010-08-20, 07:42 PM
Don't call me Sherly.

Internets are in order.

Anyhow, I tend to know my work is done when they're making me schedule tri-weekly games... :smallyuk:

Silly Wizard
2010-08-21, 02:17 AM

Yeah, pretty much what Ghostly Warlock said.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-21, 03:59 AM
I think the moment I realised was when I ended up in a debate with one of my friends about whether he had the same Charisma score as a badger.

There's also a somewhat heartwarming moment when a couple of obnoxious guys from my college saw my group playing a game of Traveller and decided to try and give us a bit of trouble. Two of my D&D playing friends, who weren't into the whole sci-fi thing and measured up to about 6'2'' and 6'1'', got up from couches behind them and said something along the lines of "P*ss off before we make you".
The other two guys almost sprinted away, one of my friends looked at me and said "Natural 20 on Intimidate?"

There was a couple of moments silence before the other one turned to him.
"Can't crit on a skill check."

These guys hadn't even heard of the game before I introduced them to it at the start of the college year.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-22, 01:01 PM
I now have a girl who yells Natural 1 at the top of her lungs every time someone screws up at anything. This is followed by weird looks from others and lulz from us. She was a bit weird to begin with tho so I'm not convinced of my talents yet.

My gf was accidentally a D&D addict from playing Neverwinter Nights, but didn't know what D&D was and had always got confused by the numbers that scrolled across the bottom of the game screen. So again, I did convert her (as did a set of pearly purple dice) but she was already most of the way here so she doesn't count.

Bit I shall get a proper one eventually.

Joran
2010-08-22, 01:50 PM

We use a lot of "failed my spot check" if we miss something blatant. We haven't transitioned over to Perception checks yet.

Among my friends, a lot more Internet gaming terms have crossed over to normal conversation as compared to D&D.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-22, 04:02 PM
I did almost the opposite:

I once did a campaign where have the people were veteran D&D players and the other half were newbs. The campaign was so chaotic stupid, at the end, my one friend told me I "almost turned a few of them off D&D forever."