PDA

View Full Version : One is All, and All is One...except for zombies

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 11:56 AM
I'll just write the fluff. If you want to stat this out yourself your welcome to any of the material here.

I have an idea for a new monster/race, but I'm not sure if they could work. Please tell me your opinion.

My ideas for a name are "Balaur", "Kaliya", "Nehebkau", "Orochi", "Ladon", or "Shesha".

They look like snakes, but they have three "tails" and three "necks". Their torso looks like that of an ordinary constricter snake(think Anaconda) as does thier primary(central) tail, their secondary tails are noticeably thinner than the primary and split into five smaller(and much shorter) tails, these "toes" are as flexible as human fingers but are mainly used for movement rather than fine manipulation; their primary tail stabilizes them and they use their secondary tails to pull themselves along.
Their secondary "necks" are thinner than the primary and split into five smaller necks, these "fingers" are roughly half an inch thick, about seven inches in length and are each topped with a small snake's head, these "hands" are usually used like a humanoid's hands.
Their primary neck ends in a head that looks like a normal snake's head at first glance, but then you notice that they have multiple smaller snakes coming from their scalp(if you can apply that term to reptiles) like a Medusa's "hair", and that their lower jaw is spit along the middle(most snakes have a split lower jaw, but its not visible unless you look at an x-ray).
Beyond that their faces, all of them, can form remarkably human expressions, becuase their heads tend to be completely non-anthropomorphic this tends to create an effect called "Uncanny Valley (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley)", that is made even more disturbing by their emotionless, monotone voices.
As a result the whole race has taken up the habit of wearing masks while in the presence of humanoids.
(They can see and taste with all of their heads but must rest one or more of their heads on the ground to hear anything, they "hear" by sensing vibrations through their jawbones. They have a natural talent for lip-reading, and can comprehend any language that they can understand as long as they can see it being spoken.)

They have a worldview similar to that of the Neogi; everything and everyone is the possesion of someone or something else. They differ from the Neogi in two ways, they view all of their possessions as extensions of themselves; "You hurt my friend, my friend is a part of me, I am a part of the Priesthood, the Priesthood is a part of Ouroboros, therefore you have hurt Ouroboros.", and they view possession as a cyclical thing; "The world is a part of us, we are a part of Ouroboros, Ouroboros is a part of the world."
This tends to make associating with them confusing at first, as they try to establish where you rank in their order of possession, but most people that they call friends are grateful(and more than a little suprised) at the level of protectiveness/possessiveness displayed.

They worship the World-Serpent Ouroboros, their religion states that everything is a cycle and that everything is mad up of one or more of the six elements.
Life and Death are a cycle, anything outside of that cycle is an abomination, but the only things truly outside of that cycle are Undead, Deathless, and Vestiges. These must be "Laid to Rest"(read:Destroyed) at all costs, if they don't want to be Laid to Rest then they can have reincarnate cast on themselves(They prefer reincarnate to Raise Dead.), the point is that they shouldn't exist as monsters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151033).The six elements are Fire, Air, Water, Flesh, Earth, and Root. Flesh is connected the Elemental Plane of Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53869) and Root is connected to the Elemental Plane of Wood(Planar Handbook).

In a D20 setting the number of "hair" snakes they have is equal to Constitution+Con Modifier(14+2=16, 18+4=22), this doesn't really have a mechanical effect beyond being able to tell how healthy they are, and it only counts permanent constitution; Ability Drain can kill the snakes but not Ability Damage. They may advance by Class levels or HD, whichever the indvidual prefers, they gain an increase in Size for every six Monstrous Humanoid HD they have. Their favored Class is "Favored Soul".

Please tell me what you think, and try to stat out this mess. I'd just screw up somehow if I tried.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:01 PM
Great concept, as for stating, we need more info. Do you want them to have LA? Is the power level standard D&D or more high-powered/Pathfinder like? How big are they?

From what I can see, I'd give them +2 dexterity (snakes tend to be very agile and coordinated), +2 wisdom (they seem like a wise, religious sort of people) and -2 charisma (they are snakes and people are terrifies of them. They also seem like they are not natural leaders, and fit a more passive, follower archetype). As for other abilities, maybe some hearing penalties but bonus for detecting hidden/invisible targets (they sense their presence), and some damage and/or AC bonus against Undead and Deathless creatures, and maybe another fluffy ability (maybe less penalties for squeezing through thigh passages as they probably have more flexible bodies). They would be medium, no LA, with a favorite class of Druid or Favored Soul (if you actually use that), as the cycle of life is a very animistic belief.

Of course, this is only a first interpretation, and feel free to completely disregard it.

EDIT: I'd take Nehekbau for the name (third one but switch the k with the b).

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 02:09 PM
A few extra notes I forgot to mention.

Their "hand" snakes each have a throat that connects to their stomach and their "hair" snakes each have a small set of lungs.

They have a distinct scent of flowers and meat, when they are young it smells freshly picked/slaughtered and when they are old it smells dried/rotten.
They specific scent is linked to their bloodline, the flower scent comes from their father while the meat scent comes from their mother.

They have a Theocracy/Monarchy, the most powerful priest in the community is in charge. Their definition of priest is someone who has at least one level of divine caster. This is complicated by the fact that they veiw all deities as different manifestations of the same entity, this has led to embarrasing situations in the past, the most distinct of which was the visiting elven paladin that was technically "Emperor" for three months.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info. About the new stuff you mentioned, maybe a penalty or a bonus to avoid being tracked by scent (if the smell they produce it distinctive or is simply similar to a natural smell).

What about the current stats?

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 02:15 PM
Great concept, as for stating, we need more info. Do you want them to have LA? Is the power level standard D&D or more high-powered/Pathfinder like? How big are they?

From what I can see, I'd give them +2 dexterity (snakes tend to be very agile and coordinated), +2 wisdom (they seem like a wise, religious sort of people) and -2 charisma (they are snakes and people are terrifies of them. They also seem like they are not natural leaders, and fit a more passive, follower archetype). As for other abilities, maybe some hearing penalties but bonus for detecting hidden/invisible targets (they sense their presence), and some damage and/or AC bonus against Undead and Deathless creatures, and maybe another fluffy ability (maybe less penalties for squeezing through thigh passages as they probably have more flexible bodies). They would be medium, no LA, with a favorite class of Druid or Favored Soul (if you actually use that), as the cycle of life is a very animistic belief.

Of course, this is only a first interpretation, and feel free to completely disregard it.

EDIT: I'd take Nehekbau for the name (third one but switch the k with the b).

They start out as medium but can grow larger by taking Racial HD instead of Class levels.

No level adjustment, but I can't think of a setting that would suit them.

By the way, I picked all of the names from Mythological Multi-headed serpents.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:17 PM
They start out as medium but can grow larger by taking Racial HD instead of Class levels.

No level adjustment, but I can't think of a setting that would suit them.

By the way, I picked all of the names from Mythological Multi-headed serpents.

You need to give them some incentive to take the racial levels if you want that to happen, as for the name, I know were the name comes form, but I just like the alternate spelling better.

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking Wis+2, Dex+2, Str-2, and Cha-2.

Do you think they should favor chain weapons and whip-like weapons or pole-arms?

And what about Darkvision VS. Low-lightvision?

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 02:23 PM
You need to give them some incentive to take the racial levels if you want that to happen, as for the name, I know were the name comes form, but I just like the alternate spelling better.

I think the ones taking Racial HD would be NPCs rather than PCs. They already grow bigger taking RHD, do you think they should grow bigger taking class levels? Use the mechanics for paying off an LA to gain a size increase......Oh dear, I just thought of a collossal wizard with a Huge familiar.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking Wis+2, Dex+2, Str-2, and Cha-2.

Do you think they should favor chain weapons and whip-like weapons or pole-arms?

And what about Darkvision VS. Low-lightvision?

The stat mods really depend on the power level. For normal d&d, positive ability mods are for some reason considered very powerful (they aren't) and often require a LA. Personally, I would let them at +2 Wis, +2 Dex and -2 Cha. For the weapons, probably chain weapons, with the priesthood favoring flails. Most fighting styles will probably be heavily based on movement and dodging instead of brute force. As for Darkvision vs Low-lightvision, it's up to you, but I find that low-light is pretty much useless, and if you want them to have a vision related bonus, go for Darkvision or bonus to spot.

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 02:37 PM
I think Darkvision would work, I could easily make them nocturnal, fluff it as "seeing heat" like a pit-viper.

On a different note I'm thinking of giving them scent, all of their heads can smell and taste. Maybe I'll give them a 15 land speed while adding a swim and climb speed.

Spirit Shaman might fit better than Favored Soul as a favored class.

And like I said, I don't know what setting to use, probably 3.5.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:50 PM
I think Darkvision would work, I could easily make them nocturnal, fluff it as "seeing heat" like a pit-viper.

On a different note I'm thinking of giving them scent, all of their heads can smell and taste. Maybe I'll give them a 15 land speed while adding a swim and climb speed.

Spirit Shaman might fit better than Favored Soul as a favored class.

And like I said, I don't know what setting to use, probably 3.5.

Setting doesn't matter, the Pathfider thing is only an example of a system with slightly tougher PCs. It really depends on the campaign and if you and your player are ok with a race having positive stat mods (if they are, you should let them use the pathfinder races or either reduce the stat penalties or add a stat bonus to the other races).

Spirit Shaman is just a bad class, and druid is just better to represent it (as I said, this is if you actually use xp penalties for multiclassing, if you don't, then it doesn't matter). As for the speed, I wouldn't give them anything under 20ft, because then they are too slow. As for the climb and swim speeds, that really depends on the campaign. In some, it could be really powerful, in others it could be useless.

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 03:15 PM
The problem is that I don't think that I'm going to get to use these guys, I posted them so They wouldn't be wasted, gathering dust in some notebook.

They might work better as NPS rather than an PC race.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 03:20 PM
The problem is that I don't think that I'm going to get to use these guys, I posted them so They wouldn't be wasted, gathering dust in some notebook.

They might work better as NPS rather than an PC race.

Why won't you be able to use them? You could always introduce them as npcs and if a player wants to play one, let him. However, remember that it is always better to make sure the rules are the same for the PCs and the npcs, because it adds realism to the world.

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-21, 03:26 PM
You've use HTML tags instead of the (URL)(/URL) ones for your links. Click the Insert Link button (world with little interlocking thing on bottom right) instead of HTML (the two < > symbols)

Zeta Kai
2010-08-21, 03:55 PM
Hey, I like that Flesh Plane. Where'd you find it? :smallamused:

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 04:19 PM
Why won't you be able to use them? You could always introduce them as npcs and if a player wants to play one, let him. However, remember that it is always better to make sure the rules are the same for the PCs and the npcs, because it adds realism to the world.

I won't be able to use them becuase I just moved:smallsigh:, there is no-one in this neighborhood who has even heard of D&D outside of a cult-special on the History Channel:smallannoyed:, and my internet connection here is sketchy at best:smallfurious:.

Sydonai
2010-08-21, 04:26 PM

I beleive someone called "Zeta Kai" made it.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 05:29 PM

Zeta, it would have been slightly less obvious if a link to it wasn't in your sig...

Zeta Kai
2010-08-21, 07:18 PM
Zeta, it would have been slightly less obvious if a link to it wasn't in your sig...

Oh, silly me. I'm just making a point over here, that's all. Don't mind me...

DracoDei
2010-08-22, 11:24 AM
With their interesting outlook on life, a explicit section on what their racial spread of alignment is would be good. And as Zeta Kai is hinting, giving credit where credit is due should be edited in (or did he mean you should have asked first?).

Sydonai
2010-08-22, 12:36 PM
I beleive someone called "Zeta Kai" made it.

"Credit to Zeta Kai" And I never claimed it was mine, I just linked it......the other links aren't mine either.