PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Feats Project-PEACH-3.5

Warpwolf16
2010-08-21, 12:23 PM
I've been working on a campaign setting and running a few games with my friends. The world is warped by Aberrant Magic and several races have experimented with the aberrant magic and caused mutations within their clans and family. Gods are few and Aberrant Powers have begun to leak through from the Far Realm and through the Void. This is my first time homebrewing something and asking for what people think.

Chokers Grasp
Choker Grasp [Aberrant]
Your goblinoid's ancestor's aberrant experiments of flesh and magic has finally taken hold with the aid of your aberrant blood. Your arms become wiry and thin as the muscles stretch and tighten.
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Goblinoid
Benefits: With Choker's Grasp your reach is increased by 5 feet.
Special:This feats increase in reach stacks with all other increases in reach.

Acidic Saliva
Acidic Saliva [Aberrant]
From the aberrant experiments of your ancestor's your aberrant blood has invoked one of the mutations they had planted in your family blood line. Your bodily functions have morphed to the point where your saliva is acidic
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Goblinoid, must have a natural bite attack
Benefits: When you preform a successful grapple check or bite attack you may choose to deal a additional 1d4 acid damage.
Special:

Ilithid Bred
Illithid Bred [Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood begins to show the source of your powers as your features slowly change and morph to the point where your skin is pale and your hair is white
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Manifester Level 3
Benefits: You gain 2 power points for every aberrant feat you have.
Special:

Taint of Madness
Taint of Madness [Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood grows stronger with the taint of the Far Realm but strangely you benefit from it warped touch that bleeds from you when you expand your psionic focus.
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, one other Aberrant feat. Manifester level three
Benefits: When expanding your psionic focus all creatures that are not Aberrations within a 15 foot radius must make a fortitude save or become stunned for 1d4 rounds.The DC is 1/2 your manifester level + the manifesting power level and is charisma based.
Special:

Warped Flesh
Warped Flesh [Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood morphs your features with the taint of the far realm as plate of chitin begin to grow along your spine and shoulders.
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, one other abberant feat
Benefits: This feat gives you +1 bonus to your natural armor and +2 hit points for every two aberrant feats
Special:

Quickened Reflexes
Quickened Reflexes [Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood has quickened your metabolism and increased your speed as you grow frail yet strangely benefit from it.
Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, one other Aberrant Feat
Benefits: This Feat increases your speed by 10 feet per Aberrant Feat.
Special:

Thoons Blessing
Thoons Blessing [Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood has lingered with your Illithid Heritage that has been blessed by the entity known as Thoon. Your skin changes to resemble the Mind Flayers of Thoon.
Prerequisites: Manifestor level 10 . Aberration Blood, Illithid Heritage feat, Illithid Blast feat, and two other Illithid Heritage feats.
Benefits: This Feat give the user Ability Focus (Mind Blast) as a bonus feat along with Telepathy 50 feet. Psionic Charm, dispel psionics, and psionic dominate are added to the list of powers known.
Special:

Yigs Blessing
Yigs Blessing[Aberrant]
Your aberrant blood begins to change your skin feature to resemble a serpent as your nails become claws. You have been blessed by Yig, the Father of the Yuan-Ti.
Prerequisites: Aberrant Blood feat, and one other Aberrant feat
Benefits: You gain claw attack and Dark Vision 30 feet and gain the reptile sub type. If you already have dark vision it is increased by 10 feet.
Special:

More to come once I get some ideas if these look good ^^

Tetrasodium
2010-08-21, 01:19 PM
Taint of madness... what's the save DC and what's it based off? That could be an incredibly powerful feat depending on both of those.

Thoon's blessing, not so much of an issue as an FYI, but this qualifies them for mindsight from lords of madness.

Warpwolf16
2010-08-21, 01:39 PM
Taint of madness... what's the save DC and what's it based off? That could be an incredibly powerful feat depending on both of those.

Thoon's blessing, not so much of an issue as an FYI, but this qualifies them for mindsight from lords of madness.

Oh thanks for reminding me, I had some computer problems last night so it didnt save that far. The save DC is 22 and is charisma based.

And you tell me the page number for Mindsight? I dont have LoM on hand at the moment, my friends borrowing it for a Eberron game he's running.

Volthawk
2010-08-21, 01:42 PM
Oh thanks for reminding me, I had some computer problems last night so it didnt save that far. The save DC is 22 and is charisma based.

And you tell me the page number for Mindsight? I dont have LoM on hand at the moment, my friends borrowing it for a Eberron game he's running.

Page 126.

Also, DC 22? Considering you can do that at 3rd level, that's a bit much. They really should scale as well.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 01:49 PM
Good stuff overall, and it's nice to see some love for the Chtulhu worshipers out there.

However, taint of madness's DC is way too high, and it is usable at-will every round. The average DC at level 6 (when you can take this feat) is about 16 or 17. This is like the save DC of a 9th level spell. If you want it to remain relevant, how about making it 1/2 manifester level + manifesting stat?

Choker's grasp could easily become ridiculous in a lockdown build, and I recommend not letting it stack. Also, many feats would be more interesting if they increased in power for every other aberrant feat one has (like Ilithid Bred giving 2pp and 2hp and an additional 1 or 2 for every other aberrant feat). Most of them could be stronger, but letting them improve with other aberrant feats could fix that.

Warpwolf16
2010-08-21, 02:03 PM
Good stuff overall, and it's nice to see some love for the Chtulhu worshipers out there.

However, taint of madness's DC is way too high, and it is usable at-will every round. The average DC at level 6 (when you can take this feat) is about 16 or 17. This is like the save DC of a 9th level spell. If you want it to remain relevant, how about making it 1/2 manifester level + manifesting stat?

Choker's grasp could easily become ridiculous in a lockdown build, and I recommend not letting it stack. Also, many feats would be more interesting if they increased in power for every other aberrant feat one has (like Ilithid Bred giving 2pp and 2hp and an additional 1 or 2 for every other aberrant feat). Most of them could be stronger, but letting them improve with other aberrant feats could fix that.

Okay so I need to lower the DC for Taint of Madness and alter it a bit. I think I can do that, thanks.

As for Chokers Grasp, I kinda see it now about letting it stack. I guess it can be cut down to be used once. Illithid Bred was originally going to be a greater and lesser but I decided to go with one feat for now. But I like your idea about letting it change up depending on the aberrant feats. I might play with it a bit and brew a few that deal with it the number of aberrant feats you have.

And yes I plan on doing Far Realm/Cthulhu Mythos inspired feats.

Owrtho
2010-08-21, 02:16 PM
Well, just looking at it, the chokers grasp and quickened reflexes could be a bit powerful. If it improves from aberrant feats, quickened reflexes should at least be every other aberrant feat, not every. Chokers grasp allows a goblin to easily get +20' to reach using only aberrant feats (given there is already an aberrant feat to grant +5 reach at a -1 penalty to attack). It should definitely have some kind of penalty, such as not allowing anything above a light weapon to be used at that extra distance or some such.

Also Warped Flesh is rather redundant. There is already an aberrant feat that grants bonuses to natural armour (based on number of aberrant feats you have), and one that grants bonuses to HP (based on number of aberrant feats you have). This is just like a combination of the 2 without the scaling.

For similar reasons it doesn't make sense for Illithid Bred to give HP. It would likely be better to make it grant 2 power points per 2 aberrant feats you have.

The DC of Taint of Madness should be based on the number of aberrant feats you have. Perhaps something like 10+Wisdom Modifier+Number of aberrant feats. This would allow it to scale as the game progressed.

Also, I'd suggest taking a look at the ozodrin class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8551355) I'm making. It has a slight aberrant theme to it as well as a handful of aberrant feats to go with it (though most are only useful to those taking the class, at least 2 of them could be of use to anyone).

Owrtho

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:21 PM
Ilithid bred shouldn't give 2 pp every two feats. 2 pp for every feat (especially if you lose the health bonus) is probably even somewhat underpowered. As for the feats that already have an equivalent, how about letting them improve upon those feats?

Matar
2010-08-21, 02:35 PM
Hrm. Two things.

Quickened Reflexes: That's... alot of speed. Maybe have it grant 5 speed for every Aberrant Feat?

Warped Flesh: Looks like it suckz. How about +1 to Natural Armor, +2 to HP, and 1/slashing resist per Aberrant Feat? Would that be... better?

Warpwolf16
2010-08-21, 02:40 PM
Well, just looking at it, the chokers grasp and quickened reflexes could be a bit powerful. If it improves from aberrant feats, quickened reflexes should at least be every other aberrant feat, not every. Chokers grasp allows a goblin to easily get +20' to reach using only aberrant feats (given there is already an aberrant feat to grant +5 reach at a -1 penalty to attack). It should definitely have some kind of penalty, such as not allowing anything above a light weapon to be used at that extra distance or some such.

Also Warped Flesh is rather redundant. There is already an aberrant feat that grants bonuses to natural armour (based on number of aberrant feats you have), and one that grants bonuses to HP (based on number of aberrant feats you have). This is just like a combination of the 2 without the scaling.

For similar reasons it doesn't make sense for Illithid Bred to give HP. It would likely be better to make it grant 2 power points per 2 aberrant feats you have.

The DC of Taint of Madness should be based on the number of aberrant feats you have. Perhaps something like 10+Wisdom Modifier+Number of aberrant feats. This would allow it to scale as the game progressed.

Also, I'd suggest taking a look at the ozodrin class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8551355) I'm making. It has a slight aberrant theme to it as well as a handful of aberrant feats to go with it (though most are only useful to those taking the class, at least 2 of them could be of use to anyone).

Owrtho

I've made it so that Chokers Grasp cant be stacked to prevent a reach of +20.As for Taint of Madness that actually seems reasonable, I'll think on it as I work on refining Choker Grasp.
Warped Flesh is something I threw togeather to improve weaker psions. But I can possibly work on it if needed.

Warpwolf16
2010-08-21, 02:45 PM
Hrm. Two things.

Quickened Reflexes: That's... alot of speed. Maybe have it grant 5 speed for every Aberrant Feat?

Warped Flesh: Looks like it suckz. How about +1 to Natural Armor, +2 to HP, and 1/slashing resist per Aberrant Feat? Would that be... better?

I think your right on Quickened Reflexes, Im thinking of either making it only available to goblinoids or making it 5 feet per Aberrant feat like you said...sound better?

as for Warped Flesh, i like it. That makes more sense to me then what I originally had.

Owrtho
2010-08-21, 03:50 PM
The issue with the HP and natural armour part though is you're overlooking Durable Form (+2HP per aberrant feat) and Bestial Hide (+1 natural armour per 2 aberrant feats).
If anything it should grant +1DR/ per 3 aberrant feats or something similar.

On Choker Grasp:
First, you should mention that it stacks with other things that improve reach (as do all reach improving feats).
Second, it is still likely a bit too powerful. There are 6 reach improving feats I know of. 1 only improves reach with spears (Long Reach from Unapproachable East), 1 is a monstrous feat (Extended Reach from Savage Species), 1 only applies to unarmed strikes and uses a daily use of stunning fist (Serpent Fang from Sandstorm), 1 is a Vile feat that grants a -1 penalty to AC (Deformity tall from Heroes of Horror), 1 is only for aboleths (Reach Bite from Lords of Madness), 1 is an aberrant feat that causes a -1 penalty to attack (Inhuman Reach from Lords of Madness).
The only ones without some kind of cost or penalty (or limitation in what they work for) are only usable by monsters, and thus normally inaccessible to player characters. As such there should be some kind of penalty or limit on the Choker Grasp feat.

Owrtho

Dencero
2010-08-21, 06:33 PM
I got some players who will probably be very interested in this, not to mention my own plans for the future. Looks good altogether.

My only question is this: Where are the Aboleths? If you're gonna talk about abberations then don't abscond without Aboleths. (I love alliterations. :smalltongue:)

Warpwolf16
2010-08-23, 04:22 PM
The issue with the HP and natural armour part though is you're overlooking Durable Form (+2HP per aberrant feat) and Bestial Hide (+1 natural armour per 2 aberrant feats).
If anything it should grant +1DR/ per 3 aberrant feats or something similar.

On Choker Grasp:
First, you should mention that it stacks with other things that improve reach (as do all reach improving feats).
Second, it is still likely a bit too powerful. There are 6 reach improving feats I know of. 1 only improves reach with spears (Long Reach from Unapproachable East), 1 is a monstrous feat (Extended Reach from Savage Species), 1 only applies to unarmed strikes and uses a daily use of stunning fist (Serpent Fang from Sandstorm), 1 is a Vile feat that grants a -1 penalty to AC (Deformity tall from Heroes of Horror), 1 is only for aboleths (Reach Bite from Lords of Madness), 1 is an aberrant feat that causes a -1 penalty to attack (Inhuman Reach from Lords of Madness).
The only ones without some kind of cost or penalty (or limitation in what they work for) are only usable by monsters, and thus normally inaccessible to player characters. As such there should be some kind of penalty or limit on the Choker Grasp feat.

Owrtho

ah, okay then and thanks for the references, I didnt really look into any of the other books on my shelf for similar feats.

Warpwolf16
2010-08-23, 04:25 PM
I got some players who will probably be very interested in this, not to mention my own plans for the future. Looks good altogether.

My only question is this: Where are the Aboleths? If you're gonna talk about abberations then don't abscond without Aboleths. (I love alliterations. :smalltongue:)

I havent got into doing high rank abberations so far, but Im working on a group of lesser abberant totems and the Greater Aberrant Totems and off shoots will most likely do with favorite fishy friends from the begining of time, known as the Aboleths. And hopefully these will do good for a goblin druid with aberrant wildshape.

vinihigino
2013-07-10, 09:58 PM
If you like this thread maybe you will like the Aberrant mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15594473#post15594473)

Hanuman
2013-07-13, 03:45 PM
For quickened reflexes I'd suggest a name change and allowing a 10' boost +10'/5Levels above 1st usable 3/day with an additional passive bonus of 5'/2feat (including itself), this would allow the passive bonus to scale appropriately for feat stacking and would give a nice tasty bonus to make it appealing otherwise.

Consider Dash and the Xeph's Burst (Su) for balance reference, and while Dash kind of sucks 10'/feat SPEED will let you go as fast as a car passively.

Acidic saliva should deal 1 damage, if it's scaling then 1dmg/7levels beyond first. No idea why it's goblinoid.

Warped flesh is a combination of 2 very powerful ab. feats with no downside. What.

Taint of madness stuns for 1d4 rounds as a feat and can be used unlimited times, compare this to a monk's core class concept and see how much they can do it.