PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Incarnum Classes (3.5, PEACH)

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-21, 03:59 PM
Hi there everybody! As a player of 3.5, I was given a lot of books that introduce new classes by by friends, and one of them was Magic of Incarnum.

I was intrigued by the new and really cool soul-magic-based classes, and I felt that there deserved to be more than just three. So I have decided to create three new classes to supplement the Cleric, Paladin and Druid-like Incarnate, Soulborn and Totemist.

To this end, I will be creating the War Soul, Midnight Adept and Azure Disciple, an Incarnum using Fighter, Wizard and Monk, respectively. The use of meldshaping differs between each, and from the original three, and the new soulmelds will be added after the classes are finished.

War Soul
No relation to Person Man's War Soul

War Souls are warriors who have the knowledge, and the power to use, Incarnum to aid them in their battles. Their ability to shape weapons, and later armor, from the soul energy, gives them versatility. Their Soulmelds increase their capability in combat, and their Chakra Binds give their weapons properties akin to magical weapons, albeit with a reduced pool of options to choose from. War Souls also have the uncanny ability to strike a foe with soul energy in the chance they critically hit. All-in-all, these blue-clad champions are dutiful, diligent and committed to their cause, be it good or ill.

Making an War Soul
Abilities: War Souls rely on primarily three different abilities. Constitution is a must for meldshaping, but also for health, which is needed to withstand being at the brunt of the battle. Strength is needed for increased potency with weapons, especially if you choose for your spirit weapon to be melee. Dexterity not only increases your Armor Class, but in the chance that you make your spirit-weapon is ranged, it is a must for damage.

Alignment:Any

Starting Gold: 4d4x10 GP

Starting Age: As Fighter

Hit Dice: D10

Table: The War Soul

War Soul
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Soulmelds|Essentia|Chakra Binds

1st|
+1|
+2|
+1|
+0|Bonus Feat, Spirit Weapon| - | - | -

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+2|
+0|Chakra Binds (Hands, Feet, Brow)| 1 | 1 | 1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+2|
+1|Spirit Strike 1d8| 1 | 1 | 1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+3|
+2| Bonus Feat | 1 | 1 | 1

5th|
+5|
+4|
+3|
+3|Incarnum Armor| 2 | 2 | 2

6th|
+6/ +1|
+5|
+3|
+3| Chakra Binds (Arms, Crown, Shoulders), Spirit Strike 2d8| 2 | 2 | 2

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+4|
+4|Azure Armaments | 2 | 3 | 2

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat| 3 | 3 | 2

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+4|
+4|Spirit Strike 3d8| 3 | 4 | 2

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+5|
+5|Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist), Spirit Weapon Master| 3 | 4 | 2

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+5|
+5|| 4 | 5 | 2

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+5|
+5| Bonus Feat, Spirit Strike 4d8| 4 | 5 | 2

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+6|
+6|| 4 | 6 | 2

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+6|
+6| | 5 | 6 | 2

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+6|
+6|Spirit Strike 5d8| 5 | 7 | 2

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat| 5 | 7 | 2

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+6|
+6|| 5 | 8 | 2

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Spirit Strike 6d8| 5 | 9 | 2

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|| 5 | 10 | 2

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat, Chakra Bind (Heart), War Incarnate| 5 | 10 | 3[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (The Planes), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str).
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The War Soul is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and all shields except tower shields.

Bonus Feat: Starting at the first level, and every four levels after that, the War Soul gains a bonus feat. This feat must come from the list of feats that fighters take for bonus feats, or Incarnum Feats.

Spirit Weapon At the first level, a War Soul has the ability to create a weapon out of the Incarnum. This weapon can be any weapon a War Soul is proficient in. The weapon deals the same amount of damage a normal weapon of its size would do. If a spirit weapon is ranged, then ammunition (if applicable) is also created, and is infinite. If the weapon is ranged and thrown, then the weapon is treated as having the returning property.

Meldshaping: At the second level, a War Soul gains the ability to shape Incarnum into soulmelds, gains access to his essentia pool, and has the ability to bind his soulmeld to a chakra. She gains more chakra binds at the sixth, tenth and twentieth levels. A War Soul's meldshaper level is one half his character level.

Spirit Strike: Beginning at the third level, a War Soul has the ability to enhance his critical strikes with Incarnum. When a War Soul rolls in his critical threat range, his attack deals 1d8 extra damage. This damage is increased every third level. If you confirm, you do not double (or triple, if your weapon has the x3 property) the damage.

Incarnum Armor: At the fourth level, a War Soul can infuse his armor with Incarnum. This allows the War Soul to bind his armor to a Chakra, and recieve added effects. The War Soul can also invest essentia into her armor, increasing its AC by 1 per essentia invested (Up to a maximum equal to your meldshaper level). Investing this AC is a swift action.

Azure Armaments: At the seventh level, a War Soul's armor and weapons are enhanced. Her max dexterity is increased by by 1 for each point of essentia invested into her Incarnum Armor ability. A War Soul can also now invest essentia into his weapon, increasing the damage done by his Spirit Strike by 2 per each point of essentia invested (Up to a maximum equal to your meldshaper level).

Spirit Weapon Master: At the tenth level, a War Soul masters her Spirit Weapon. His Spirit Weapon deals damage as if it were one size larger. That is, if her weapon is of medium size, it deals damage as if it were a large weapon.

War Incarnate: At the twentieth level, a War Soul becomes war incarnate, gaining plus four to natural armor, a plus two competency bonus to all attack rolls and damage rolls, a plus two competency bonus to all saves, and he is immune to all fear and enchantment effects.

demidracolich
2010-08-21, 04:13 PM
Hmm, mabye you can get some ideas from this class of the same name?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-21, 04:15 PM
I feel embarrassed beyond anything at this point because I copied without even knowing something like this existed.

I have taken down the class, now renamed Indigo Weapon, in order to fix what I unintentionally, and I can't repeat that enough, copied and reedit it.

EDIT: Indigo Weapon's back up, and hopefully unintentional copying free!:smallredface:

IcarusWings
2010-08-21, 05:10 PM
I'd say keep it as War Soul, it's not really copying as it's a fairly generic name and, no offense, indigo weapon sounds a bit, well... meh.

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-21, 05:24 PM
Very true, Icarus Wings. I think the things that I will keep different are the Spirit Strike and Spirit Weapon. Otherwise it sounds like a blatant ripoff of the other War Soul, which coincidentally it isn't. Person Man's War Soul is exactly what he said it was, a Soulborn/Soul Knife combination. Mine's a Fighter with Incarnum capabilities.

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-21, 06:20 PM
Reduced number of Bonus Feats, for balancing (10 bonus feats + Other abilities isn't a good thing).

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-21, 10:53 PM
So, comments, criticisms?

IcarusWings
2010-08-22, 05:08 AM
I'd say let them put essentia into their weapon far earlier, 5 bonus damage at sixteenth level is pretty much nothing, especially if it takes up a valuable resource like essentia.
Make it much earlier and change it so it's two bonus damage per essentia invested and with a max of half your class level.
I would also give them the option of binding the weapon to chakra binds, for special enhancements depending on the chakra.

Mike_the_Mystic
2010-08-22, 01:06 PM
I'd say let them put essentia into their weapon far earlier, 5 bonus damage at sixteenth level is pretty much nothing, especially if it takes up a valuable resource like essentia.
Make it much earlier and change it so it's two bonus damage per essentia invested and with a max of half your class level.
I would also give them the option of binding the weapon to chakra binds, for special enhancements depending on the chakra.

That's exactly what I was going for. Your Spirit Weapon and Armor can become bound to certain chakras to gain magical properties. So a Spirit Bow bound to, say your brow chakra, has increased range; Or a Sword bound to your heart chakra has keen, or something along these lines.