PDA

View Full Version : Dvati Totemist

Arctura42
2010-08-22, 11:54 PM
Just a passing thought I have before the next sleep-cycle. Would this class/race combo be a good idea, or do the split hitpoints hurt too much for them to be useful in combat? Dvati are from Dragon Compendium, and for those who don't have access, are one soul in two bodies. All feats and skills and classes are shared among them, hitpoints from the class hit point die rolls are split evenly, but hitpoints from CON modifier are not - an example is that if you are a first level wizard with 14 CON, normally you'd have 4+2 hitpoints, but here, each of the two beings have (4/2)+2 hitpoints.

Reason for Totemist idea is twofold:

1) CON is kept, but class hit die is split up - Totemists often have very high CON scores

2) Multiple limbs from Totemist apply to each being - more attacks that way.

Good idea? Ok idea? Horrible idea? Either way, looking to see how the board will react.

Keld Denar
2010-08-23, 01:11 AM
You could have one body grapple a foe, while the other body rakes the held foe, or have both bodies pile on the grapple, allowing you to make 2 checks vs every one check your foe makes. This would also double Constrict damage gained via Kraken Mantle bound to shoulders, which is delightful.

You'd be terribly vulnerable while doing so, though, which is kinda scary.

Thurbane
2010-08-23, 02:57 AM
Dvati are great for some classes, but awful for others.

Dragonfire Adept seems to work, since they aren't a melee based class, and 2 breath weapons/round, especially with meta-breath effects, can be quite effective.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-23, 04:09 AM
I like the idea of a Dvati Crusader. They would have separate delayed damage pools but share granted maneuvers. That gets twice as many attacks to use Martial Spirit, twice as many uses of maneuvers, etc. If one gets hurt he can use Stone Power while the other one uses Crusader Strike with both in the Martial Spirit stance. One could benefit from the others Vanguard Strike or Leading the Attack, and they could use Shield Block and Shield Counter to guard each other. They could both go sword-and-board, or one could use a tower shield while the other stands behind with a reach weapon.

PId6
2010-08-23, 04:38 AM
For Totemists, the loss of HP averages to slightly more than 2 hp per level, and 4 HP at 1st level. That's a pretty painful difference, especially at lower levels, so I'd be reluctant to go into melee with them until higher levels.

My favorite class for Dvati would have to be Fiend of Possession. Hugely annoying qualifications, but the payoff is awesome (one guy possesses weapon, another one possesses cohort). Exceptionally fun.

Amphetryon
2010-08-23, 08:50 AM
Dvati Totemist that focuses more on ranged attacks seems like it would work fairly well. Grab a Manticore Belt, your favorite breath weapon -I might pick Gorgon Mask for the Save-or-Lose, and a Pegasus Cloak.

It's not necessarily ideal, but it could work and be a lot of fun.