PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/pf] Magic Missile Spell Variants

Bagel
2010-08-23, 07:08 AM
I'm sure everybody has a pile of similar laying around. Here are mine, and critiques on balance/power would be appreciated. One spell for each level skipping level 1 and level 3 [magic missile, chain missile] level 7-9 probably not gonna be added.

Swift Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level:*Sor/Wiz 0
Components:*V, S
Casting Time:*1 swift action
Range:*Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets:*One Creature
Duration:*Instantaneous
Saving Throw:*None
Spell Resistance:*Yes
A small missile of energy erupts from your fingertips striking a target, dealing 1 point of force damage.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage. This spell is effected by all effects, penalties, defenses and bonuses that would effect a*Magic Missile*spell.
Impacting Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level:*Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time:*1 standard action
Range:*Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets:*One creature
Saving Throw:*Fort Partial
A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 2d4+2 points of force damage. You evoke*one*missile for every three caster levels (maximum 5 missiles).*In addition, a successful hit acts as a bull rush with a strength modifier of +2 per missile if target is medium or large or +4 per missile if target is small or tiny. The target must also make a Fort save [ CL+10 +2/Missile] or be knocked prone.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. This spell is effected by all effects, penalties, defenses and bonuses that would effect a*Magic Missile*spell.
Magic Missile, Greater
Evocation [Force]
Level:*Sor/Wiz 4
Range:*Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets:*One creature per CL, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.*You evoke a number of missiles equal to your Caster Level
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage. This spell is effected by all effects, penalties, defenses and bonuses that would effect a*Magic Missile*spell.

Shattering*Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level:*Sor/Wiz 5
Range:*Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets:*Up to four creatures, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
You create powerful missiles of magical force, each of which darts from your fingertips and unerringly strikes its target, dealing 4d4 + 4 points of damage. The missile then explodes in a burst of smaller force missiles that deals half this amount of damage to any creatures adjacent to the primary target. Spells, magic items, and abilities that protect against*magic missile*(such as the*shield*spell or a brooch of shielding) also protect against this spell. If the primary target has that sort of protection, the spell has no effect against it but still springs to all secondary targets. (A*brooch of shielding*loses a number of charges equal to the number of missiles hitting the creature.) If spell resistance causes the spell to fail to harm the primary target, the spell fails and missiles do not ricochet to additional targets. You evoke one missile for every five caster levels to a maximum of 4.

The missiles strike unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. This spell is effected by all effects, penalties, defenses and bonuses that would effect a*Magic Missile*spell.
Missile Storm
Evocation [Force]
Level:*Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time:*1 full round action
Range:*60ft
Area:*25ft radius +5ft/2 levels
Duration:*1d4 rounds
Saving Throw:*Reflex Partial
You call forth an eruption of missiles that strike at every target in range. One missile strikes each target within the spell radius dealing 1d4+1 points of damage for every 3 caster levels each round of the spells duration. The spell continues to strike for up to 4 rounds. Each round after the first, you can use a standard action to move the origin of the spell up to 20ft. Creatures that fail the Reflex save are also dazed for 1 round. Invisible creatures cannot be targeted.
The missiles strike unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. Does not strike invisible creatures, or allies. This spell is effected by all effects, penalties, defenses and bonuses that would effect a*Magic Missile*spell.

Zaydos
2010-08-23, 10:26 AM
Well haven't checked out the math on all of them but I'd say Swift Missile and Greater Magic Missile look a little too strong.

Cantrips deal 1d3 damage, or 1 sonic damage. Swift Missile is dealing 1d4-1 (min 1) force damage divided as you like as a swift action. That's a lot better than the other cantrips out there.

Greater Magic Missile you can compare more closely with Orb of Force. Orb of Force is 1 target max, requires an attack roll, and deals 1d6/caster level (max 10d6) with no SR.

Greater Magic Missile: has 4 times the range, allows SR (but that's what Assay Resistance is for), doesn't require an attack roll, and deals 2d4+2 damage (equivalent of 2d6) per caster level (no max). It's noticeably better than Orb of Force which is still one of the good blasting spells (although not quite as good as Orb of Fire with the right metamagic enhancements).

Kamai
2010-08-23, 11:56 AM
Swift Missile really should not be a swift action at the very least. It should instead be a standard action, and even then, ~1d3 force damage is too much force damage for a cantrip. It might be worth it to change it to bludgeoning damage. Otherwise for balance, you may need to drop it to one missile.

For Impacting Missile, what is the effective BAB for the Bull Rush?

I think Greater Magic Missile needs to have a cap of 6-10 to make it comparable, though better than other blasting 4th level spells.

On the other hand, though I haven't checked the numbers, Missile Storm seems like a weak 6th level spell.

MountainKing
2010-08-23, 12:01 PM
I think you guys are misreading Swift Missile. It's 1 point of force damage, 1d4-1 (minimum of 1) missiles. So, it's 1-3 total force damage, assuming you target all the missiles at the same target.

Zaydos
2010-08-23, 12:02 PM
I think Greater Magic Missile needs to have a cap of 6-10 to make it comparable, though better than other blasting 4th level spells.

12d4+12 leaves it slightly weaker than orb of X in raw damage, but it gets around energy resistance and range. Leaves it better (imo) than Orb of Force still, although it is vulnerable to SR and golems. If Arcane Thesis, and metamagic reducer stacking isn't allowed then it's a fine spell and seems to be at a sweet spot, useful but not always the best answer.

20d4+20 would put it as a fairly good spell; a really good one assuming you weren't going for metamagic reducers. With stacking metamagic and metamagic reducers I'm guessing Orb of Fire is still better, but I could be wrong.

Oh and I forgot one of the major 4th level attack spells earlier: Wings of Flurry... but that's just a crazy awesome spell.

Edit:

I think you guys are misreading Swift Missile. It's 1 point of force damage, 1d4-1 (minimum of 1) missiles. So, it's 1-3 total force damage, assuming you target all the missiles at the same target.

Read my post on it. Swift action for 1d4-1 (minimum 1) force damage divided as you choose. This actually makes it much better than just the reading of 1d3 automatic force damage.

MountainKing
2010-08-23, 12:07 PM
Read my post on it. Swift action for 1d4-1 (minimum 1) force damage divided as you choose. This actually makes it much better than just the reading of 1d3 automatic force damage.

I'm not saying you're wrong on the Swift action bit, but whether or not the Swift action makes it better doesn't bear on the difference between "1d4-1 force damage per missile" and "1 point of force damage per missile".

Zaydos
2010-08-23, 12:09 PM
Cantrips deal 1d3 damage, or 1 sonic damage. Swift Missile is dealing 1d4-1 (min 1) force damage divided as you like as a swift action. That's a lot better than the other cantrips out there.

My first post on the subject. I actually noted both as problems with it.

Bagel
2010-08-23, 06:57 PM
ok swift is staying swift but dropping to a grand total of 1 missile for 1 damage

greater magic missile is a lvl 4 uncapped to emulate wings of flurry.. will drop the range to medium as i see your point on range, and damage 1d4 + 1

As for impacting what would seem balanced as a BAB equivilent for the bull rush 1/2 caster level?