PDA

View Full Version : New Job, New Town, Yay?

Eldritch Knight
2010-08-23, 08:00 PM
So, in two weeks I will be moving 853 Km north to a small town called Kapuskasing to start a new position there. As my chosen profession is religious in nature, I will not be giving many of the details of the position. What I do need to figure out is what I am going to do with my free time, as they only expect 20 or so hours of work a week, and since they are providing me with housing, (rent-free, too!) there's not going to be many bills for me to cover.

At this point my plan is to try to finally get through my writers block that has prevented me from finishing any of the long-standing stories I have been trying to get down 'on paper'. (As I type them in Word, I'm amused that this term is still around.) I will also likely be taking up fishing and hunting on an occasional basis, but that will still leave me with a ridiculous amount of free time. It has been suggested to me that I might want to consider getting a part-time job while I am up there, but I am not terribly interested in doing so.

So, I thought, why not ask the Playground for ideas for a new hobby to take up? There's a lot of people here witch completely different areas of interest to mine, so maybe someone will give me an idea so enthralling that I can't help but to try it. There's only one thing about this that's making me so uneasy, the fact that everyone I've ever known and loved are so far away, it's going to make it very hard to see them. But I suppose that's what Skype and webcams are for...

thubby
2010-08-23, 08:23 PM
learn to play an instrument. everyone loves a man who can play a guitar :smalltongue:

Eldritch Knight
2010-08-23, 08:27 PM
Already play the trumpet, but am horribly out of practice. I was going to take it with me, anyway.

xPANCAKEx
2010-08-23, 08:39 PM
take up a sport/martial art... or even tai chi or something relaxing maybe?

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-23, 11:08 PM
So, uhm.. is your life going to be anything like Corner Gas meets Little Mosque on the Prairie?

Eldritch Knight
2010-08-24, 11:08 AM
Honestly, that would be pretty sweet in my opinion.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-24, 11:13 AM
Learn archery?
Learning a martial art is a pretty good suggestion, though a good teacher may be hard to find over there in such a small (isolated) village? Dunno.

Mathis
2010-08-24, 12:34 PM
In my experience, small towns need people with initiative. Do you have any skills you can teach others? Could you possibly consider starting up some sort of local footall/soccer team? This idea could apply to anything that you think you could handle being in charge of for several years ahead. There aren't many things more rewarding than coaching or tutoring.

If not then I'm sure you can find something in the community that could need your attention

Zocelot
2010-08-24, 07:53 PM
Become a pro at Starcraft 2 :)

But seriously, you should try to become involved or even entrenched in the community. Find someway to help that you enjoy enough to do so in your free time.