PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : [1] 2 3

InaVegt
2010-08-24, 07:35 AM
So... for me, NaNo (http://www.nanowrimo.org/) season has started. Let's see if I actually finish this time around. >.<

Anyone else taking part?

PersonMan
2010-08-24, 07:41 AM
I'll be in it again this year. Last year I never got much done, since I started about halfway through. It'll be interesting to see what I come up with this time.

Viera Champion
2010-08-24, 07:44 AM
I was always thinking about doing this last year, but didn't. Also, I need the details on it.

InaVegt
2010-08-24, 07:49 AM
I was always thinking about doing this last year, but didn't. Also, I need the details on it.

November 1st, start writing.

Some time before December 1st, have 50,000 words written, and submit them to the website.

Presto, you're done.

The-Mage-King
2010-08-24, 08:00 AM
I guess I'll give it a try this time... It probably won't be very good, though...

Dogmantra
2010-08-24, 12:22 PM
Did it last year. Won last year with 50 032 words of The Pocket English Dictionary about a 12 year old boy who created the universe and doesn't know it, and the afterlife just being a front for illegal weapons manufacture, though by the end I don't know that I was awake, just in some sort of half-asleep, half-dead vegetative state being kept alive by caffeine and They Might Be Giants songs. Planning on doing it again this year, my title is possibly going to be Do You Think Dogs Are Racist? Planning on including a character (possibly the main one) who doesn't believe in America, which would be the first bit of fiction I've written that I like which doesn't take place in what I like to term the "Doggyverse", a sort of modern world equivalent where lots of weird stuff happens. Lots of strange goings-on, and everything's just a little bit magical.

Silly Wizard
2010-08-24, 01:37 PM
I had no idea about it until now, but it looks interesting! I think I'm going to try it.

FoE
2010-08-24, 01:40 PM
I'll try again this year. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get past 1,000 words. :smalltongue:

Szilard
2010-08-24, 03:08 PM
Maybe this year I'll actually do it. Probably the key is to write as much as possible when you do have ideas, so that when you run out, it won't matter if you miss a day or two thinking. This should be fun.

Remmirath
2010-08-24, 04:48 PM
I keep thinking of doing it, but I never have. I might try it this year. It should theoretically help me to actually write instead of just sitting there thinking 'gee, I should try writing again some time'. :smallsigh:

Dogmantra
2010-08-24, 04:59 PM
I keep thinking of doing it, but I never have. I might try it this year. It should theoretically help me to actually write instead of just sitting there thinking 'gee, I should try writing again some time'. :smallsigh:

It's REALLY helpful. Trust me. I've even thought that I should do a personal NaNoWriMo this July or August, but the fact there was no organised thing really threw me off.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-24, 05:10 PM
I'm a writer, maybe it would be a good idea for me to participate to make my writing more consistent.

potatocubed
2010-08-24, 05:12 PM
Coming back for my... seventh? attempt. I wasn't going to, considering I usually fail, then I got this idea...

Viera Champion
2010-08-24, 05:17 PM
Hmmm...
Not Your Average Hero

Hopefully I'll still remember this by November 1.

Cealocanth
2010-08-24, 06:19 PM
I'll be taking part, as usual. It's only August though. NaNoWriMo's a few months away.

truemane
2010-08-24, 06:29 PM
I'll be taking part, as usual. It's only august though. NaNoWriMo's a few months away.

Yeah but the website goes live in October. And my local Nano site goes live around then too. With the chatting and the what-not. Good times all around.

I'll be taking part again this year. Third time. Won the last two. There's a really robust and vibrant community where I live, and they have a lot of events throughout the month, so all of that is as much fun as the writing itself.

Don't know what I'm going to write yet. I was thinking of a series of short stories. But we'll decide that as we get closer to the event.

InaVegt
2010-08-24, 06:57 PM
I'll be taking part, as usual. It's only august though. NaNoWriMo's a few months away.

It's almost september, and many of the NaNo folks I know are already preparing for it. :)

Frilzer
2010-08-24, 08:00 PM
Last year I tried and got to about 12000 words. Even though I failed and it was difficult for me to even get that far, it was fun.

Dogmantra
2010-08-24, 10:35 PM
Last year I tried and got to about 12000 words. Even though I failed and it was difficult for me to even get that far, it was fun.

And that's what it's about at the end of the day. Sure if you win you get a fancy certificate, but if you've written one word total, that's one word more than you would have otherwise written.

Weimann
2010-08-25, 07:51 AM
I tried last year, and it was pretty fun. I didn't get far, maybe... 8000 words? The circumstances were against me then, though; to start with, I discovered the existance of the thing about a week ahead, and I went into it completely preparationless, with no real idea about what I actually wanted to write about. Also, my computer was broken so I had to write on dead trees. That's not a disadvantage by nature, mind, but when it comes to producing volume fast... yeah, a computer just wins at that. At least if you want to not kill your hands.

I'm planning on doing it this year again. Maybe I'll actually win, that would be fun ^^ I have a rough idea, loosely inspired by the Exalted setting, but with several widely different variants playing around in my head.

Those of you with some routine, do you have any tips on how to best prepare? Should one create a skeleton plot, or flesh out the characters beforehand? It is smart to make a list of plot hooks or do ideas tend to go stale before it's time? Any tips whatsoever? :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2010-08-25, 07:59 AM
The thing about preparation is that everyone has their own ideal amount. Some people like to go into Nano with every character mapped out down to their favourite cologne and a childhood incident involving a banana. Some people like to go in with nothing and see what falls out of their head and onto the page. Personally, I like to sketch out a very rough plot outline and fill in the details as I write; the story is only interesting to me when I'm not quite sure where it's going.

The best way to look at it is to see Nano as an opportunity to find out where you fall on the prep/no prep continuum. If you do well with none, go in with less. If you do badly with none, start doing some thinking and note-taking.

In other forms of advice, the best I can give you is 'have an audience'. If there's a bunch of people going "oooh, what's going to happen next?" you have that much more incentive to get it done.

Raz_Fox
2010-08-25, 08:10 AM
Last year, I went into NaNoWriMo with a handful of characters and a fantasy map, and I dragged all fifty thousand words out of them. This year, though, I've already started working on this year's plot.

Ragnarok is a great subject for an urban fantasy novel, and I won't let anyone tell me different!

Blayze
2010-08-25, 11:57 AM
Last time, I had epic plans for writing a million words in thirteen months, but those plans quickly fell by the wayside. Again. This year, however, I have a better plan -- or rather, a plan that should let me get much more writing done and make things more interesting for the reader. That plan?

I've decided to use the protagonist as the story's narrator, which should allow me to do more than just describe events. He'll be explaining what he saw at the time, and unleashing epic amounts of snark along the way.

Zolkabro
2010-08-25, 01:57 PM
I attempted it last year, but it doesn't really seem my thing. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and NaNoWriMo is supposed to be a story with no editing, just write, write, write. But I found that really difficult, and kept going back and rewriting bits I wasn't satisfied with.

I think I'll give it a miss this year.

Dogmantra
2010-08-25, 02:00 PM
I attempted it last year, but it doesn't really seem my thing. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and NaNoWriMo is supposed to be a story with no editing, just write, write, write. But I found that really difficult, and kept going back and rewriting bits I wasn't satisfied with.

I think I'll give it a miss this year.

See, I'm either arrogant enough or just that good enough to think that what I'm writing is brilliant as long as I can stop myself from re-reading it. :smallsmile:

If you do try it (which I would HIGHLY recommend, it's brilliantly satisfying to finish) a common tactic to prevent yourself going back and re-reading (and consequentially re-writing) any of what you've already written is to set your computer to a white font.

Weimann
2010-08-25, 03:56 PM

I think I'll give it a miss this year.You can try to look at it not as an unedited story, but as a story that will get edited later. Right now you just focus on getting as many ideas as possible out on paper :smallsmile:

banjo1985
2010-08-26, 03:26 AM
I'll be trying again this year I think, lets see if I can get past 4000 words this time. I'm going to put in a little bit of prior effort, rather than last year when I opened a blank page on November 1st and thought Ok, so what now? :smalleek:

Might go for a bit of dark humour this year, the epic fantasy garbage I tried last year didn't do much for my creativity.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-26, 10:33 AM
I'll be trying again this year I think, lets see if I can get past 4000 words this time. I'm going to put in a little bit of prior effort, rather than last year when I opened a blank page on November 1st and thought Ok, so what now? :smalleek:

Yeah, this for me.

What say you, Banjo, shall we have a epic face off to who'l get 5k + words?:smalltongue:

Zolkabro
2010-08-26, 12:50 PM
See, I'm either arrogant enough or just that good enough to think that what I'm writing is brilliant as long as I can stop myself from re-reading it. :smallsmile:

If you do try it (which I would HIGHLY recommend, it's brilliantly satisfying to finish) a common tactic to prevent yourself going back and re-reading (and consequentially re-writing) any of what you've already written is to set your computer to a white font.

That would drive me insane.

I might just try again anyway. I did get 14,000 and something, so I suppose it's worth another shot. My main problem is I haven't finished last years yet, and I probably won't for a long time. In one month, I wrote almost 15,000 words, and now I've written 2 chapters in 10 months.

JediSoth
2010-08-27, 07:40 AM
I haven't decided if I'm going to participate again. The first year I did (2007), I found it very easy to write a 95,000+ word Superhero story. The next year, I was way ahead of the curve (22,000+ words by 11/11), but then my wife died and I never finished that story. Last year, I barely managed to write 50,000 words by the deadline (of course, I was in a new relationship and moving at the time), and I still haven't finished that story.

I've thought about not participating and just spending the month finishing last year's novel, then working on 2008's novel (it was a steampunk horror western and I LOVED writing it up until the point where my wife died). Then I can hit 2011 with no unfinished projects on my plate.

On the other hand, I have a pretty cool idea for a hardish sci-fi posthumanish YA series....and I kind of want to get started on that sooner rather than later.

X2
2010-09-04, 11:44 PM
Does it have to be good? Because I write novels like...

...something that doesn't write very good novels.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-04, 11:55 PM
Does it have to be good? Because I write novels like...

...something that doesn't write very good novels.

if I remember, one of NaNoWriMo's motto is "when your stuck, send in ninjas"
as in when your suffering a writers block, have something completely unrelated come out of nowhere and attack your characters, because then you have at least written about your characters kicking ninja ass and going "what heck? why did all these ninjas appear!?"

its more about "getting as much writing done as possible" not "get as much good writing done as possible"

X2
2010-09-05, 12:10 AM
Awesome! When do I start?

Lord Raziere
2010-09-05, 12:18 AM
Awesome! When do I start?

November First. Have a good two months waiting. :smallbiggrin:

InaVegt
2010-09-05, 03:48 AM
November First. Have a good two months waiting. :smallbiggrin:

Or start plotting. :biggrin:

Blayze
2010-09-07, 06:53 AM
if I remember, one of NaNoWriMo's motto is "when your stuck, send in ninjas"

Wasn't the original quote something about having a man with a loaded gun appear?

Zefir
2010-09-07, 08:20 AM
This thing sounds greate i have wrote an idea years befor for an fantasy novel, maybe i can use this i only wrote notes.

Blayze
2010-09-07, 12:33 PM
Before you get started on the month itself when it happens, try a condensed version (Say, X number of words in a week) to see if you feel up to writing the 1666.666666666667 words per day.

I failed early on last year, due to a sudden outbreak of terminal laziness.

Viera Champion
2010-09-07, 05:51 PM
Can I write two different thugs and add the word count together?

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 06:08 PM
Dunno. I hope so: the premise for my story is three different plotlines which weave together. 2 big ones and a little one made of drabbles. 5-10 thousand words worth of drabbling, actually.

X2
2010-09-07, 07:22 PM
I have an idea as well. It's called Edmund: A Butlers Tale, a searing rollercoaster of an epic with some hot gypsies thrown in. Nah I'm totally kidding

Shyftir
2010-09-07, 07:33 PM
I'm planning on trying this year. I'm jobless and might still be at that time so it's a bit more reasonable for me.

I've got an idea for a very heroic fantasy meets 19th century adventure novel. It's more of a series of connected short stories, which if all works out advance a greater plot. I'm even toying with a "The Adventures of" title but that might be a bit too old school.

So there is a local aspect of NaNoWriMo? That's a new idea to me.

banjo1985
2010-09-08, 03:52 AM

Indeed there are, though I have to admit I've never made use of this aspect myself. Many areas have dedicated NaNo weekly meet-ups during November, both to help with writing and keep you motivated to continue right to the end, which for me is usually the hard part! I think a few people on here have made use of these, so they'd be better placed than I to talk about exactly how they work.

Blayze
2010-09-08, 07:33 AM
I have an idea as well. It's called Edmund: A Butlers Tale, a searing rollercoaster of an epic with some hot gypsies thrown in.

I thought it was crammed with sizzling gypsies?

X2
2010-09-08, 08:01 AM
I thought it was crammed with sizzling gypsies?

Hats off for picking up the reference. :smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-11, 06:09 AM
Well, with time off booked last year, I did manage to complete NaNo on my first attempt, but I haven't decided whether I'll try again this year yet...

Malfunctioned
2010-09-11, 06:43 AM
I've actually got the basics of an idea and plot thought up, it's been brewing for a while so I've actually had to restrain myself for starting to write it.

It's pretty much an action-adventure urban fantasy McGuffin hunt.

IcarusWings
2010-09-12, 08:48 AM
I'm gonna' be entering for the first time this year, not sure how well I'll do. Haven't really got any ideas, except that I might think of doing something to do with dreams and the dreamworld.

cho_j
2010-09-12, 01:44 PM
I am trying this year! With the fantasy novel that's been not quite going anywhere for three years now. Let's hope I don't die!

It's my first semester of college, so we'll see how insane I am for doing this. :smalleek: I just can't take the idea of not doing anything AGAIN. But I may only set my goal to be 30,000 words, which is 1,000/day as opposed to 1,667ish. Small, but might make a difference. What do y'all think?

chiasaur11
2010-09-12, 03:19 PM
What the heck.

I'm in.

bokodasu
2010-09-14, 01:20 PM
But I may only set my goal to be 30,000 words, which is 1,000/day as opposed to 1,667ish. Small, but might make a difference. What do y'all think?

Dream bigger! It's better to make your goal 50k and only write 30k than it is to make your goal 30k and go "eh, whatever" and wander off after 10k words.

My personal NaNo hints:

Be excited about something, and write about that.
Start out at 2500 words/day. You're going to hit a 0-word day at some point and it's better to be less ahead than trying to catch up.
Even better, do at least 5k on Day 1.
If you don't make it, don't beat yourself up; it's supposed to be fun.

PirateMonk
2010-09-18, 09:38 PM
I'll probably try this for the first time. I'm currently looking at some sort of mythic fantasy.

RufusCorvus
2010-09-20, 07:23 PM
I think I may try it again. This'd be my... third time? First time (2007) I got to 30,000 words before school finally hit me good. Second time (2008), I don't think I even got to 10,000. I don't even remember what my story was for that one. I skipped out last year.

I dunno... Maybe I will.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-20, 08:22 PM
Wasn't the original quote something about having a man with a loaded gun appear?

Ah, Chandler's Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlepblp18h5?from=Main.ChandlersLaw).

I'll have to remember that...

Knaight
2010-09-20, 08:32 PM

Well, the idea is raw practice, until you have hundreds of thousands of words written, your going to suck, so might as well make a 50,000 word dent.

Shyftir
2010-09-21, 02:43 AM
Ah, Chandler's Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlepblp18h5?from=Main.ChandlersLaw).

I'll have to remember that...

thanks... just lost 2 hours of sleep because of your tvtropes linking...

Alarra
2010-09-30, 02:09 PM
I've won the last two years, both times hitting between 70 and 80k, I think. So I will, of course, be doing it again. I'm busier this year though than I have been, so we'll see how things go.

There most certainly is a local aspect. And it's great. I started going to write-ins when I tried 2 years ago. Through that I found a writing group that I now meet with every Thursday. One of the members of said group is the ML (person who organizes all the write-ins and stuff) for our state. I don't know how it is other places, but we have a crazy number of write-ins. I could go to one every morning and evening and most afternoons if I wanted to drive 20 minutes or so in any direction. Last year I did not write a single word at home or on weekends. I went to 3-4, occasionally 5 write-ins a week and through word wars and the sheer pressure to write there, knocked out 80k words.

We have a group on the Nano forums for this board as well, and I know that in previous years many of us have gotten involved in personal challenges which keep us motivated.

My state also has an ongoing challenge with Texas that we try to win every year, which keeps the motivation high. Two of the girls in my writing group have and meet the goal of writing 100k every Nano.... I try my best to keep up with them, knowing that even if I fail, I'll hit well above my 50k goal.

cycoris
2010-10-02, 06:00 PM
They're up! They're up! The NaNo forums are up! Talloo tallay! :smallbiggrin:

Now if only I had some idea of what to write...

Lifeson
2010-10-03, 08:20 PM
I'm totally writing a visual novel for this. Think Card Captors meets Supernatural. :smallamused:

Crimmy
2010-10-03, 09:43 PM
I'm a newb to this, but yeah, I'll be doing it.

Kiren
2010-10-03, 09:45 PM
Its my first time attempting NaNoWriMo, but I will see it through.

Weimann
2010-10-04, 04:36 AM
Less than a month. I'm getting nervous D:

Dogmantra
2010-10-04, 07:02 AM
To practise for this NaNoWriMo
I'm working hard all of the time-o.
I'm not being terse,
I'm just writing in verse.
So my lit'rature becomes sublime-o.

Moofin Bard
2010-10-06, 05:47 PM
Okay. Less than a month.
I think I can do this.
Last time I wimped out after only three days.
This time, I will succeed.
I have more of a solid plot outline this time anyway.

It's kind of based on Harry Potter.
Tag line: Azkaban is no place for children.

So this young witch commits a dangerous crime and gets sent to Furiae Correctional Facility (for juveniles). The whole facility is basically insane. Enjoy.

lesser_minion
2010-10-07, 08:20 AM
I might give this a try, although I'm not terribly good at writing, so I'll probably end up writing complete tripe.

It's practice at least, even if I don't actually manage it.

Leta
2010-10-10, 12:46 PM
I'm going to be doing it, but I don't like to prepare anything in advance.

RufusCorvus
2010-10-11, 12:50 AM
Alright, I reactivated my NaNoWriMo account. I think college and work are going to pin me to the ground and take pot-shots at my solar plexus, but I'm willing to give this another shot.

I have no idea what I'll be writing. Wish me luck.

If anyone's interested in becoming Writing Buddies, my account there is the same name as the one here.

Zanaril
2010-10-11, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking of participating this year. There's other stuff I should be doing, but there'll always be other stuff I should be doing, so this year is as good as any. I doubt I'll be able to churn out 50 thousand words of continuous, coherent narrative, but I should be able to put down the requred amount of whatever is going through my head that day. Maybe an idea will stick, and I'll be able to tie all my ramblings together.

Possible idea: end of the world scenario. The last month or so of human civilisation written from the points of view of several people as they die horribly.

Morph Bark
2010-10-11, 04:13 PM
Hm... this looks interesting. I've heard of it last year, but didn't know that it was an actual specific initiative of this sort, just moreso something like "month of the horse" and just having a few horse-related events here and there.

I actually have an idea that I could do, as November means that I won't be busy with homebrew contests for a little bit and my exams will be a while away yet. And if I don't get far? No matter, my country's native language isn't English anyway. And if I do awesome and want publishing? Then I'll find a way anyway. Persistance, ho!

Crimmy
2010-10-11, 07:29 PM
I need to start making a list of supplies for two NaNo participants.
I hear chocolate, marshmallows and coffee are essentials!

FoE
2010-10-13, 06:45 PM
You know what's probably my biggest obstacle as a writer?

I hate everything that I write. I read it later and I'm like "God, this sucks!"

Anyone else like that?

Crimmy
2010-10-13, 08:55 PM
It's a common phenomenon that occurs to artists. People tend not to like their own creations.

I, for one, dislike most of my drawing (excepting Paint avatars)

X2
2010-10-14, 08:32 AM
I know what I'm writing about. It'll be about some unlucky guy who stumbles upon a diary on his way to work. But the diary has eeeevil powers and he gets entangled in a murder mystery and has to evade the cops as well as evil demons who want to eat his soul with their raisin toast and all the while has to figure out

a) The secret of the diary.
b) How to clear his name
c) How to send the demons back to where they came from

This'll also be my first attempt at creating a sympathetic character, in everything else I've done the main protagonist has been a complete and utter douchebag.

banjo1985
2010-10-14, 10:15 AM
I hate everything that I write. I read it later and I'm like "God, this sucks!"

Anyone else like that?

I feel your pain FoE, I really do. There are maybe two pieces of my writing that I can read without wincing too badly, but most of the time I just hate it. It's the number one thing that stops me getting anywhere past 6'000 words, no matter how good the ideas are in my head. What's the point if reading it back to myself makes me feel such an awful writer?

Thing is, in any long work you pretty much HAVE to look back on what you've written, to tie plot together, sew up holes, even remeber the names you've given places etc. It's a horrible cycle, and one that I think will stop me ever getting anywhere with my writing, even though everyone that I've let read some of my stuff says I'm at least an adequate writer with some faint promise. So yeah, reading your own stuff back hurts hard. :smallfrown:

As for this years NaNo, I'm thinking small but achievable. I'm not moving house like I was last year, but I'm not exactly blessed with free and I haven't written anything for months. If I manage 10'000 words in November I'll be ecstatic. :smallsmile:

FoE
2010-10-14, 03:06 PM
I feel your pain FoE, I really do. There are maybe two pieces of my writing that I can read without wincing too badly, but most of the time I just hate it.

"I've come to hate my own creation. Now I know how God feels." :smalltongue:

Finding the energy and motivation to write is probably my biggest problem. Re-reading my stories and judging them to be crap is my second.

I think I will try to write the D&D novel I started last year. I'm a little more comfortable with the concept and the main character.

banjo1985
2010-10-15, 04:33 AM
Heh, you sound like my identical evil twin...more evil I mean. :smalltongue:

I'm going to start afresh this year, today is the first time I've got to start thinking about what I'm going to do. I have a few mixed up ideas in my head, now I've got to thread together the less sucky ones.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-15, 04:36 AM
Lets first see if I have time...I'm so busy with filming, editting, sleeping, nowadays!:smalleek:

Gourtox
2010-10-15, 05:26 AM
I may do this if I have time. Maybe.

banjo1985
2010-10-19, 10:44 AM
Jeez...I think I've read too much Jasper Fforde recently. :smalleek:

My thinking time for NaNo a few days ago bought about the strangest story idea I've ever had. So my NaNo this year will be a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the Taking 20, a high fantasy adventurers supermarket trying to stay independent from the oppressive presence of the multi-dimensional AdventureCo! All from the point of view of Grubb, the stores only Shopping Cart/Trolley Goblin! Cue many antsy wizards looking for rare spell components, mucking out the rust monster pens, and attacks by some random-but-pertinent fantasy creatures. :smallbiggrin:

This could quite possibly be the most idiot piece of trash I'll ever right, but I might actually be able to have some fun while writing it. That would be a nice change. :smallsmile:

Joran
2010-10-19, 11:15 AM
Oh, look, it's my yearly reminder why I can never be a writer.

My daughter is due in 3 days, so it'll be interesting if she will affect my ability to write so I will actually complete the NaNoWriMo novel or not.

Morph Bark
2010-10-19, 11:20 AM
Oh, look, it's my yearly reminder why I can never be a writer.

My daughter is due in 3 days, so it'll be interesting if she will affect my ability to write so I will actually complete the NaNoWriMo novel or not.

They do suggest a few things like writing about things you find easy to associate with or throwing in random things when you're stumped on how to continue. You could, for one, try writing about someone pondering about their children and how they will turn out as adults, every so often the scene changing to accomodate for a different possible future they might come to live.

In the end, the idea behind NaNoWriMo is, after all, to attempt it and get yourself to a goal you have set for yourself, not to write something that is definitely suitable to be published. God knows whatever I will come up with probably won't be suitable (especially since I will be writing in English whereas my country's official language is not English).

JessGulbranson
2010-10-19, 04:59 PM
For some reason NaNoWriMo has always rubbed me the wrong way, even though it is tempting to try. I did the 3-Day Novel Contest last year, and my book got published right out of the gate, so maybe that just says something about the circumstances I prefer to write under.

I am definitely going to do NaSoAlMo this year, tho.

Alarra
2010-10-19, 07:43 PM
What's NaSoAlMo?

Raistlin1040
2010-10-19, 07:55 PM
National Solo Album Month, according to the internet.

Down to the wire now, less than two weeks to go. My brain is exploding with ideas, but I have no idea how to tie them together. Worse, I'm wondering if my turning away from Horror (which is what I did last year, and succeeded with) was a mistake. I don't want to write another horror novel, because while I'm proud enough of last year's effort, I think it was a little like Salem's Lot mixed with The Stand, with zombies. However, now I'm worried that my new idea will just be Looking for Alaska mixed with It's Kind Of A Funny Story, with zombies with somewhat different characters.

Alarra
2010-10-19, 09:44 PM
I think that you can never write too many stories about zombies.

My story for this year is based off a poem I did for the IP contest. It's about a girl who's family is killed in a car accident and she's shipped off to live with unpleasant relatives and she becomes mute and completely shuts herself off from the outside world and constructs her own reality inside her head.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 08:09 AM
I've done it for a couple years now I think, never finished. I always get to about 11 or 12 days in and just can't think of anything else to write.
I dunno what I'll try this year. Last year was how everybody is the same person, living out every life to experience the Universe in every way imaginable. It was pretty crazy. I don't even know.
This year I have about 5 characters planned out that I want to interact in a college environment. I think. I always doubt my ability to write with NaNo.

chiasaur11
2010-10-20, 12:34 PM
Right.

Finally figured out how one of the two main protagonists is going to work, which is good.

Man, his life is going to be hell.

Morph Bark
2010-10-20, 12:43 PM
National Solo Album Month, according to the internet.

How many "National X Y Month"s are there, anyway?

For that matter, what nation are they even talking about? This seems pretty international. Or shouldn't I partake after all, as I am not an American? :smallconfused:

That would be quite a shame, as I've just come to terms with the idea of making a new story starring Sirius the plane-surfer (http://morpholomewy.deviantart.com/art/Sirius-Business-123904710).

Dogmantra
2010-10-20, 01:26 PM
For that matter, what nation are they even talking about? This seems pretty international. Or shouldn't I partake after all, as I am not an American? :smallconfused:

It started as a thing between a few friends, grew into a thing in America, then grew into an international thing, but they kept the name NaNoWriMo because it rolls off the tongue better than InNoWriMo or varations thereof. They justify it by saying that "it's for all the nations, so it's national" or something. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2010-10-24, 01:11 PM
I haven't posted ITP in over a month, I think (!) but all that time I've been spending watching Buffy instead of online I will devote to NaNoing again, I guess. :smalltongue: The last two years I've won pretty easily, but as usual, I'm now looking at my schedule and going. :smalleek::smalleek: Every year of school seems to be crazier than the last. . . . Though I will actually be attending write-ins this year so that's some time genuinely set aside for it.

This is me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/412011).

Ajadea
2010-10-24, 08:32 PM
One week to go! Who knows what they'll be writing?

truemane
2010-10-24, 09:24 PM
I do! I've got mine all worked out. Not the whole thing, just the general groove. I'm quite excited to get it started.

RufusCorvus
2010-10-24, 11:40 PM
Yeah. I'm going to attempt to novelize (half) a game of Arkham Horror in the style of William Faulkner circa As I Lay Dying.

I have no idea how this is going to work out. I can tell you this much: 'Ashcan' Pete is a damn badass.

banjo1985
2010-10-25, 04:13 AM

Not really. :smalleek:
I'm hoping I'll just be able to write and let stuff flow from the keys, but I think that's just the desperate optimism of a drowning man!

chiasaur11
2010-10-25, 10:24 AM

Got a good idea.

Have the protagonists, have what could wind up being an interesting secondary antagonist, got a general narrative.

Of course, it'll probably go in ways I'm not anticipating, but hey, that's life.

Cardea
2010-10-25, 12:25 PM
Going to finally try it this year. Going in with some Fantasy Novel or something. Long as I do good, ja?

cycoris
2010-10-25, 01:37 PM
I haven't posted ITP in over a month, I think (!) but all that time I've been spending watching Buffy instead of online I will devote to NaNoing again, I guess. :smalltongue: The last two years I've won pretty easily, but as usual, I'm now looking at my schedule and going. :smalleek::smalleek: Every year of school seems to be crazier than the last. . . . Though I will actually be attending write-ins this year so that's some time genuinely set aside for it.

I envy you and your write-ins. I have no one with whom I can stay up until midnight and start writing! This is terrible. :smallfrown:

Plan: go to bed at 10 PM, get up at 6 AM and write for two hours before work. I doubt this will actually happen though.

This is I... (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512380)You guys can now watch me fail miserably with convenience! :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-25, 01:40 PM
Actually...I've got a idea.:smalleek:

Morph Bark
2010-10-26, 04:32 AM
Now I am suddenly anxious. I should write up all my ideas later, but I also have to study for an exam early tomorrow morning in the meantime. OH GOD. :smalleek:

lesser_minion
2010-10-26, 05:30 AM
I have some vague ideas regarding genre, and some even vaguer ones regarding aesthetics, but I haven't really outlined any characters or plots.

Which probably means that I'll end up with a giant cliché-fest, but I guess that's still better than nothing.

Weimann
2010-10-26, 05:55 AM
I have a few baseline ideas regarding the overarching plot, and the initially most important characters It feels like there's a chunk missing, but I guess I'll just send in the ninjas and see what happens.

My idea is an incredibly cliché fantasy novel based loosely on the Exalted setting, but taking place in the real world. I think it will have three distinct parts, but one never knows.

Oh my God how will I ever manage? :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2010-10-26, 02:42 PM
I envy you and your write-ins. I have no one with whom I can stay up until midnight and start writing! This is terrible. :smallfrown:

Plan: go to bed at 10 PM, get up at 6 AM and write for two hours before work. I doubt this will actually happen though.

This is I... (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512380)You guys can now watch me fail miserably with convenience! :smalltongue:

I AM coming home for the second half of NaNoWriMo.

cycoris
2010-10-26, 03:04 PM
I AM coming home for the second half of NaNoWriMo.

Oh my goodness I completely forgot about this! Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Raz_Fox
2010-10-26, 09:28 PM
I have about half my outline finished, half-a-dozen characters that I need to fully flesh out (and a few that are hopefully awesome on sliced bread) and a general idea of where things are going with this.

Tengu reporters, anti-monster corporate-owned MIB who work for an ancient freed god, a traveling carnival of ghosts and Yokai, Tuatha knights on motorcycles, and all those good urban fantasy cliches.

Faceist
2010-10-26, 11:33 PM
I'm planning on entering this year! In fact, I've already wrote the introduction (and origin story for the world in which its set). Baaaasically, it's a fantasy epic about a mad God so addicted to prayer that he enacts an intricate (and diabolical, mind!) scheme (involving his half-mortal son) to ensure his worshippers are the only remaining mortals, thus guaranteeing dominance over the rest of the pantheon. It has creepy God/mortal iiiiinbreeeeeeding! :smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2010-10-27, 10:13 AM
I'll be giving it a go, despite school and large papers. My goal is to get as much framework for a draft laid down as possible so I can revisit at a later date and really get something going.

Weimann
2010-10-27, 10:25 AM
I'm still panicing over personality traits on some of the major characters. I worry I will not be able to write a believable character if I choose stuff I don't know.

Also I need to come up with names and places. Isn't it weird that you can probably shoot from the hip on the big stuff, but can spend hours mulling over if your main character should be called Kim or Kenny?

Dogmantra
2010-10-27, 12:31 PM
but can spend hours mulling over if your main character should be called Kim or Kenny?

By far my hardest task last year was picking names. I've only got the main character and his/her little brother worked out in my head (and I'm still not even sure what the main character's gender is yet) but no names. In fact, I need to start writing stuff down about characters and basic plot.

chiasaur11
2010-10-27, 01:39 PM
Also I need to come up with names and places. Isn't it weird that you can probably shoot from the hip on the big stuff, but can spend hours mulling over if your main character should be called Kim or Kenny?

Well, it's a simple question to answer.

Is the main character terminally accident prone, or legendarily bitter?

More seriously, it's normal. The big things set up easy because they are the story. Little things are necessary, but often a bit arbitrary, There aren't rules to make the decisions quicker.

Frozen_Feet
2010-10-27, 02:45 PM
I've tried NaNo twice, failed shamefully both times. I've kept a two-year break, didn't bother participating immediatly before or during conscription. I'm bit on the fence about whether I'll get back on the wagon this year - on the other hand, I have a whole ton of unused material in my head, but I've realised I write really, really poorly without constant input from other people (like in freeform PbP games...). I also have lots of other stuff to do, and I'm not sure if I'd have the energy to get all those words on paper (well, screen) in time...

Raistlin1040
2010-10-27, 11:28 PM
Totally Awesome Link (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/476694)

Need to work on some names now. I have none of the characters named, except that the main character's last name is Madison, and I'm debating having his first name be Val, short for Valentine, but the lolcliche factor is arguably overwhelming enough to make me change it.

Lioness
2010-10-28, 01:29 AM
I'm doing NaNo this year, but with a twist!

I'm not starting until the 17th.

Because I want to pass my exams. I might let myself write for an hour a day before then, but that's all.

Buuuut, as far as stories go, mine's YA fantasy, with a boy who takes a train and it takes him to a cool deserted place.

Edit: This is me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/514333

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-28, 01:31 AM
So my Nano story will most likely be a Sg-1/The Pretender crossover fanfic.

What do you guys think?

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-28, 02:10 PM
Hey, thank you guys for remembering me of this. I wanted to give it a try. :smallsmile:

I have a few problems though:
*Have little to no writing experience (except for argumentative texts);
*Just noticed it and have nothing planned. And I guess I'll keep it this way (if I can: the ideas are already popping :smallbiggrin:);
*Write in English which is not my native language OR write in Portuguese when I have no contact with Brazilian Web people?
*Vestibular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular), ENEM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enem_(exam)), and other Exams are near :smalleek: (What? Am I crazy for joining?);
*General lack of time and laziness may be important factors too. :smalltongue:

Main character is probably goint to be called Mainy. :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2010-10-28, 04:40 PM
OH RIGHT. <.<; I totally forgot to do anything for the past month or so for NaNoWriMo. ^^;

Umm...I'll just have to wing it then. <.<; I'm sure I can come up with something. Horrible.

chiasaur11
2010-10-28, 07:55 PM
So, I checked, and my novel will fulfill the most important of all writerly edicts,

Raimi's Laws, spoken of in myth as the sacred word of Sami Raimi himself and the Coen brothers

Simple rules.

The Innocent Must Suffer.

The Guilty Must Pay.

You Must Taste Blood to Be a Man

(optional fourth law: The Dead Shall Walk the Earth)

Check!

Lioness
2010-10-28, 08:48 PM
Hey, thank you guys for remembering me of this. I wanted to give it a try. :smallsmile:

I have a few problems though:
*Have little to no writing experience (except for argumentative texts);
*Just noticed it and have nothing planned. And I guess I'll keep it this way (if I can: the ideas are already popping :smallbiggrin:);
*Write in English which is not my native language OR write in Portuguese when I have no contact with Brazilian Web people?
*Vestibular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular), ENEM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enem_(exam)), and other Exams are near :smalleek: (What? Am I crazy for joining?);
*General lack of time and laziness may be important factors too. :smalltongue:

Main character is probably goint to be called Mainy. :smallbiggrin:

It's all good. When I did it last year, I was utterly horrible at writing, had exams, had an exchange student, and almost failed.

Doesn't matter if you have nothing planned...just do whatever. At one point my characters got bored and went on a bear hunt.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-28, 09:06 PM
It's all good. When I did it last year, I was utterly horrible at writing, had exams, had an exchange student, and almost failed.

Doesn't matter if you have nothing planned...just do whatever. At one point my characters got bored and went on a bear hunt.

Thanks. Now I'm happily reducing studying time to complete the novel! :smallbiggrin: (Just kidding) (maybe)

One question: How does copyright work with this?

cycoris
2010-10-28, 10:15 PM
Thanks. Now I'm happily reducing studying time to complete the novel! :smallbiggrin: (Just kidding) (maybe)

One question: How does copyright work with this?

You automatically own the copyright to anything you write/draw/create/whatever unless said otherwise, it doesn't matter what you're writing it for. :smallconfused:

Teutonic Knight
2010-10-28, 10:51 PM
Will also try this year. Still deciding on a topic. Classic high fantasy or modern downtown fantasy.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-28, 10:55 PM
You automatically own the copyright to anything you write/draw/create/whatever unless said otherwise, it doesn't matter what you're writing it for. :smallconfused:

Well, thanks. I don't know much about these things. :smallredface:

Morph Bark
2010-10-29, 04:20 AM

Don't you have to pay some kind of copyright agency to copyright something? :smallconfused: For as far as I know, while others may not publish things you've created without your consent, they are free to publish spin-offs or related works or use your characters unless you've paid for copyright. (I think they have to credit you still as the original creator of the characters and world and all though.)

That's why a lot of old books and movies are in the public domain.

Admittably I haven't read that very thoroughly into it and I'd have to check with a friend of mine who has, as she's had her characters stolen so often she wants to pay for copyright on them.

The wiki article on copyright (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright) might be helpful for more info, and otherwise you can just check the external links on the bottom of that page.

IcarusWings
2010-10-29, 04:56 AM
I'm doing a book set in the world of smog (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102891&highlight=smog) that was created on these forums. Beyond that, I ain't got the foggiest idea. I'm just gonna wing it in regards to both characters and story (that bear hunt thing sounds awesome, I'll probably have to end up doing that or something similar (wild chinchilla hunt anyone?)), planning gives me allergic reactions anyway.

InaVegt
2010-10-29, 06:41 AM
Don't you have to pay some kind of copyright agency to copyright something? :smallconfused: For as far as I know, while others may not publish things you've created without your consent, they are free to publish spin-offs or related works or use your characters unless you've paid for copyright. (I think they have to credit you still as the original creator of the characters and world and all though.)

That's why a lot of old books and movies are in the public domain.

Admittably I haven't read that very thoroughly into it and I'd have to check with a friend of mine who has, as she's had her characters stolen so often she wants to pay for copyright on them.

The wiki article on copyright (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright) might be helpful for more info, and otherwise you can just check the external links on the bottom of that page.

No.

Everything you make (excluding work for hire) is copyrighted. However, copyright DOES expire, and -that- is why old stuff is public domain.

Now, in the USA, registering does grant additional protection for the copyrighted work.

Trobby
2010-10-29, 07:57 AM
Hmmm...

Should I go for the story set in a past-post apocalyptic robotic uprising, where all robotics have been re-integrated into society and given lifespans measured in 7-year cycles to keep them from becoming depressed and revolting anew, ripe with racial (or species, as it may be) controversy and robots with fantastically human emotions?

OR

Should I go with the world where all the people live on the inside surface, with a tiny sunlike core powerful enough to provide energy to everything yet weak enough to not destroy the world with its intensity, with an atmosphere thick enough to absorb the radiation and a natural electric charge so high that visiting it would cause us to die of electrocution?

:smallsigh: So difficult to chose...and I only have time for one.

IcarusWings
2010-10-29, 08:46 AM
Hmmm...

Should I go for the story set in a past-post apocalyptic robotic uprising, where all robotics have been re-integrated into society and given lifespans measured in 7-year cycles to keep them from becoming depressed and revolting anew, ripe with racial (or species, as it may be) controversy and robots with fantastically human emotions?

OR

Should I go with the world where all the people live on the inside surface, with a tiny sunlike core powerful enough to provide energy to everything yet weak enough to not destroy the world with its intensity, with an atmosphere thick enough to absorb the radiation and a natural electric charge so high that visiting it would cause us to die of electrocution?

:smallsigh: So difficult to chose...and I only have time for one.

the secdond one

cycoris
2010-10-29, 11:47 AM
Trobsalob: The first one. :smalltongue: Unless you can find a way to combine the two. :smallbiggrin:

Emlyn
2010-10-29, 11:53 AM
Huh, I want to write but lack motivation. Large, organized writing event starts in a few days. What the heck, lets give this a shot!

Trobby
2010-10-29, 01:00 PM
Trobsalob: The first one. :smalltongue: Unless you can find a way to combine the two. :smallbiggrin:

That would be...interesting...o.o And would solve the problems that I have for both plots. IE: One has no story, and the other has no character. But the two together would have both.

Only problem there is that I think it would then be just a bit too fantastical for people to follow.

Dogmantra
2010-10-29, 02:08 PM
I'm here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/471525). Note the amazingly comprehensive "favourite" sections. I am totally my favourite writer.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-29, 02:36 PM
I'm doing a book set in the world of smog (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102891&highlight=smog) that was created on these forums. Beyond that, I ain't got the foggiest idea. I'm just gonna wing it in regards to both characters and story (that bear hunt thing sounds awesome, I'll probably have to end up doing that or something similar (wild chinchilla hunt anyone?)), planning gives me allergic reactions anyway.

I thought about doing something on Steamelund, but I'd probably mess with things.

I was having so much ideas that I'll probably do this. Mainy will be time and universe traveling all the time! Yay! (I think)

And this (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/707433) is me!

Raistlin1040
2010-10-30, 01:29 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!It starts Monday and my characters are largely without names, my plot is just a series of unconnected events I plan on working in, and I can't think of a decent way to write a young adult novel from 1st person without it sucking horribly.

Morph Bark
2010-10-30, 04:36 AM
No.

Everything you make (excluding work for hire) is copyrighted. However, copyright DOES expire, and -that- is why old stuff is public domain.

Now, in the USA, registering does grant additional protection for the copyrighted work.

Right, got it.

I just thought it strange that there were copyright bureaus if you didn't need to specifically copyright things or pay for copyright. This clears it up some.

lesser_minion
2010-10-30, 07:25 AM
It starts Monday and my characters are largely without names, my plot is just a series of unconnected events I plan on working in, and I can't think of a decent way to write a young adult novel from 1st person without it sucking horribly.

I'm pretty much completely unprepared, so... yeah.

This is me. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/672665)

Nice and informative, of course.

Trobby
2010-10-30, 09:39 AM
Might as well post my profile (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/658545) too while we're doing that. <.<;

Yes, I am a worm. No, I am not a doctor. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkVHdUkMJdk)

Dogmantra
2010-10-30, 09:59 AM
Yes, I am a worm. No, I am not a doctor. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkVHdUkMJdk)
Trobby have I told you recently that I love you.

Trobby
2010-10-30, 10:28 AM
Trobby have I told you recently that I love you.

Yes, you just did. :smalltongue:

Lioness
2010-10-30, 08:11 PM
I've got a main character, a secondary main character, a handful of plot events, and that's all.

No idea what narrative voice, no idea how it starts, no idea how it ends.

But eh. The setting is calling sooooo strongly. The setting and the main character fit so well together.

I've got 17 days to figure out the rest.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-30, 08:44 PM
I've got a main character, a secondary main character, a handful of plot events, and that's all.

No idea what narrative voice, no idea how it starts, no idea how it ends.

But eh. The setting is calling sooooo strongly. The setting and the main character fit so well together.

I've got 17 days to figure out the rest.

:smallconfused:
17 days? How so?

Remmirath
2010-10-30, 08:44 PM
I feel horribly unprepared. I have only vague notions of most things, including the main character. Well, at least I have a reasonable idea of some parts of the setting and a few plot points. That should help. Hopefully. :smalleek:

Here's me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/695076). I'll... finish filling out that stuff eventually, or so I tell myself.

KenderWizard
2010-10-30, 09:10 PM
I am having regrets! And it hasn't started yet! And the forums there are scary!

This (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/681581) is me. I'm using the same name and avatar as here, so anyone who really wanted to could find me anyway!

Crystalline
2010-10-30, 09:32 PM
Since I am young (ish) I do the young writer's Nano. I get to set a word goal there since schoolwork has me bogged down it is easier to work with a 30k or 20k word goal than 50k. But last year I did it, and I want to do it again...

Oh and this year I'm writing hopefully a sequel to my novel last year. Hopefully with more depth and less cliches. But that's not easy at all XD

VanBuren
2010-10-30, 09:45 PM
This is a great opportunity for me to begin my three part epic with volume 1: Abe Lincoln Vs Zeus, in space!

That, or something more serious.

The Pressman
2010-10-30, 10:26 PM
I'm split between some sort of steampunk retelling of Der Ring des Nibelungen or some sort of fantasy setting Sherlock Holmes.

cycoris
2010-10-30, 10:27 PM
I'm split between some sort of steampunk retelling of Der Ring des Nibelungen or some sort of fantasy setting Sherlock Holmes.

The latter, the latter! :smallbiggrin:

The Pressman
2010-10-30, 10:29 PM
The latter, the latter! :smallbiggrin:

Probably. Doing the other one requires an apocalypse, and I completely overran my end-of-the-world budget last year, so...

chiasaur11
2010-10-30, 11:03 PM
Probably. Doing the other one requires an apocalypse, and I completely overran my end-of-the-world budget last year, so...

How many worlds did you end?

The Pressman
2010-10-30, 11:04 PM
How many worlds did you end?

Well, that number is open to interpretation, but on my invoice I listed 36.46. That was an annoying job.

VanBuren
2010-10-30, 11:56 PM
Well, that number is open to interpretation, but on my invoice I listed 36.46. That was an annoying job.

I'm guessing that #37 was a plucky little world that always tried to look on the bright side of life?

The Pressman
2010-10-31, 12:00 AM
I'm guessing that #37 was a plucky little world that always tried to look on the bright side of life?

Actually, #37 was one of the rings of hell. Same thing, depending on how you look at it.

HalfTangible
2010-10-31, 12:04 AM
I intend to start completely, utterly from scratch.

It won't be very good in an overall sense (most likely) but it'll help me with improv, and i think it'll be a fun ride.

On second thought, i was tossing around the idea for the beginning of a fancomic in my head for a while... might post that up in text format.

TFT
2010-10-31, 01:52 AM
So, I've had the idea for my novel for a while, and I'm kind of excited to start writing about it. However, I'm kind of afraid of the lack of time, including not even being able to start until Tuesday due to classes and assignments. Either way, I'm going to try to at least get more words then last year.

Also, its quite amusing that I've convinced both of my sisters(Well, the other one is only leaning toward it, but still...) to do this crazy event along with me. Should be fun. :smallbiggrin:

apocalypsePast2
2010-10-31, 02:22 AM
Personally I love steampunk and cyberpunk, but I want to do a 1920's/WWI, at the same time. So, I'm combining them! Diesel Punk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DieselPunk)!
I love the dirty and ramshackle aeroplanes seen in WWI and games like Crimson Skies. My idea is that they're really expensive, easy to break, and clumsy, but really powerful militarily and currently the cutting edge in tech because no tactics have yet been made to effectively combat them with ground force. needless to say, it will be a war-oriented novel.:smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2010-10-31, 02:41 AM
:smallconfused:
17 days? How so?

Self-imposed limit. I'm not starting NaNo until I've finished all of my final exams. My last exam is on the 17th.

IcarusWings
2010-10-31, 05:21 AM
This is me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/646309)

Dogmantra
2010-10-31, 08:38 AM
Right, now I'm slightly worried. Last year I had a basic plot, characters and sort of setting all laid out a couple of weeks in advance. Now I have... nearly nothing. :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 08:42 AM
Right, now I'm slightly worried. Last year I had a basic plot, characters and sort of setting all laid out a couple of weeks in advance. Now I have... nearly nothing. :smalleek:

You could do what I do. It'll be about a writer trying to find ideas for a story. :smallwink:

Dogmantra
2010-10-31, 08:50 AM
You could do what I do. It'll be about a writer trying to find ideas for a story. :smallwink:

The sad thing is I've done that already. Then an alien came to give him ideas and he thought he was haullucinating. Then the alien could only speak French. :smalltongue: It's actually one of my favourite things I've written.

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 09:07 AM
The sad thing is I've done that already. Then an alien came to give him ideas and he thought he was haullucinating. Then the alien could only speak French. :smalltongue: It's actually one of my favourite things I've written.

Ha, sorry then, you're flat-tired on the highway to luck and on the wrong lane.

Alternatively you could just watch YouTube videos and get inspiration from there. This old music clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs&feature=fvst) has given me ideas for having my character be sent back in time, trained as a bard and try to overthrow an evil baron with the power of music. :smalltongue:

cycoris
2010-10-31, 10:49 AM
My main character is dead from page one, and I just realised I have no idea how he dies. :smalleek:

Dear brain, why do you keep doing this to me? You don't think it's important? How my main character dies is very important, thou droning onion-eyed flirt-gill!

Perhaps I should get working on that.

It'll probably end up being something stupid like a snowboarding accident though. :smallsigh:

Poor MC, can't get any breaks... :smalltongue::smallamused:

Trobby
2010-10-31, 12:55 PM
My main character is dead from page one, and I just realised I have no idea how he dies. :smalleek:

Dear brain, why do you keep doing this to me? You don't think it's important? How my main character dies is very important, thou droning onion-eyed flirt-gill!

It'll probably end up being something stupid like a snowboarding accident though. :smallsigh:

Suicide.

It makes the entire rest of the story a thousand times more interesting, given that it was his CHOICE to die.

Unless you'd rather have it not be his choice. You could instead make it something slightly thematically appropriate. Like perhaps he was agnostic, and was murdered by a religious fanatic?

Knowing the bits that I know of your story, both of these would make an interesting twist.

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 02:10 PM
Suicide.

It makes the entire rest of the story a thousand times more interesting, given that it was his CHOICE to die.

Unless you'd rather have it not be his choice. You could instead make it something slightly thematically appropriate. Like perhaps he was agnostic, and was murdered by a religious fanatic?

Knowing the bits that I know of your story, both of these would make an interesting twist.

Mind control was involved, obviously. Potentially it could have been a subliminal message hidden in a tv commercial that slaughter-suicided other people as well.

Trobby
2010-10-31, 02:18 PM
Mind control was involved, obviously. Potentially it could have been a subliminal message hidden in a tv commercial that slaughter-suicided other people as well.

;p Quiet you. You don't even know the premise of her world.

Unless you do. <.<; In which case I have no idea what you're talking about. :smallconfused:

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 02:50 PM
It will forever remain a mystery! (Though really, where religious fanatics involved, mind control - even just mentions of it - are somewhat appropriate. It is moreso emotional control, but it fits up the same alleyway.)

On another note though, having just found this (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html), I think that might be just another way to get me a bit of inspiration in the harder days to come by muse.

Trobby
2010-10-31, 03:33 PM
It will forever remain a mystery! (Though really, where religious fanatics involved, mind control - even just mentions of it - are somewhat appropriate. It is moreso emotional control, but it fits up the same alleyway.)

On another note though, having just found this (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html), I think that might be just another way to get me a bit of inspiration in the harder days to come by muse.

Nope. You've guessed entirely wrong. :smalltongue:

lesser_minion
2010-10-31, 03:35 PM
Hmm... I now have a vague idea for a setting, and I know what genre I'm writing.

Unfortunately, I'm drawing something vaguely approaching a blank on characters, conflicts, and cliché avoidance.

Trobby
2010-10-31, 03:53 PM
My tactics for avoiding cliches is to ram straight through them at 88 miles per hour with a bulldozer.

They usually don't survive that. :smallamused:

A little info about my very post-apocalyptic robot world:

About 300 years ago, the robot revolution occurred. About 250 years ago, humanity beat the robots and started to reclaim society. It wasn't until about 200 years ago that they realized they needed robots to survive, and so, about 175 years ago, a man developed a way for the robots to avoid developing the programming flaw that had caused them to revolt in the first place. It is a process by which a robot's sanity is refreshed time and time again every 7 years. For some robots, who have a high capacity for information and are built for social interaction, they can have many many cycles of life, and for others they are given just one cycle to live before mandatory shutdown and dismantling. They typically do menial labor or act as simple household pets.

So in the year however many years it needs to be for this science fiction setting to make sense, a robot built for social interaction is employed by a marketing firm to handle final signifying of business deals. He's the best at his job, but has a few quirks about the way he works. His employer understands this, but most of the clients do not. In one particular instance, this causes a deal to go south and, he suspects, his job to disappear. This is in a country far away, probably Japan because I imagine they might have been devastated by the robot uprising more than any other country, and therefore would have more to fear and more discrimination against robots like him.

It is at this low point in his life that he encounters a thrown-away Cyclebot. As previously stated, there are robots that exist to serve a function for only one year. They are called Cyclebots, and this one had formerly been a household pet. Perhaps his previous owners didn't care for it, or perhaps they couldn't afford to keep it anymore. For whatever reason, it has been abandoned, and the Social Robot decides to take care of it and share some of his fuel cells while he tries to think of something to do.

And that's about as far as I've gotten. At some point I want him to make a journey to the oldest known robot who still has cycles going to consult with him about the nature of robotic existence, and I want there to be aliens with an unusual nature, preferably aliens who travel through space on a sort of hyper-pressurized steam power and no electricity whatsoever, but most importantly, I want to humanize this robot while making it painfully clear how self-aware he is about himself. Every last thing that he owns or does, from his living space to taking in the Cyclebot, he justifies to himself as part of his programming or robotic logic, despite it being a completely human thing to do.

The only thing I'm really missing is how he can tie himself into a major conflict. I might have to scrap the steampunk aliens in favor of some sort of robot conspiracy, but I feel like that sort of plot has been done time and time again, and I'm not terribly good at writing conspiracy plots.

And before you suggest anything like it, no, there is nothing special or rewarding about him taking in this Cyclebot. In fact, it is specifically troublesome for him to keep it around. But he WILL keep it around, and worry about it whenever he's not sure where it is.

By the end of the story, I think the Cyclebot ought to have a name too. Something that reflects on the Social Robot's personality, and on his fate as a robot with a limited span of life.

And either in this story or a sequel to it, the Social Robot should have to give up one of his own cycles to keep the Cyclebot alive. Perhaps by helping it to overcome its programming, and perhaps because of a loop hole in the Cycle program.

I feel like I want to do the Douglas Adams thing where every other chapter is a description of the world at large tying to the plot, and have a regular narrative style of story.

So yeah...that's what I've got so far. <.<;

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-31, 06:10 PM
Well I just realized Nano started and...I'm too tired to start.

Viera Champion
2010-10-31, 06:21 PM
Ohmigod! It starts tomorrow! I hve two things I'm gonna write. One about teenage superheroes and another about warring nations, with magic and swordfights and stuff.

lesser_minion
2010-10-31, 06:23 PM
Nano starts in 30 minutes over here, and it's started already on most of the continent.

And I'm still not totally sure what to write -- I have some vague ideas that might be a beginning, and some vague ideas that might be an ending, but nothing in between.

I'm not even sure what sort of tone I'm going for.

TFT
2010-10-31, 06:34 PM
Well I just realized Nano started and...I'm too tired to start.

Want to trade with me? I'm itching to start and I have about 7 and a half hours to wait. You can take some of my time tomorrow, when I'm writing my essay :smalltongue:.

Trobby
2010-10-31, 06:40 PM
I've got 4 hours and 20 minutes before it starts.

...Maybe I should name my novel. <.<;

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-31, 06:48 PM
Want to trade with me? I'm itching to start and I have about 7 and a half hours to wait. You can take some of my time tomorrow, when I'm writing my essay :smalltongue:.
Yes, please!

I also really need that extra sleep, since I've slept a total of 5 hours this entire weekend >< and I have work early tomorrow morning.

I've got 4 hours and 20 minutes before it starts.

Naming is for when you have cool inspiration bursts! Otherwise it usually ends up a lame name, atleast with me.:smalltongue:

lesser_minion

Yeah... I need to do that as well.

Oh... and now I'm wondering whether to stick to the sci-fi idea I had, or go fantasy, or mix the two.

cycoris
I have 7:12, and absolutely can't wait. I'm going to stay up and write for just a few minutes so that I don't have to face a blank page in the morning.

Trobby, working titles are your friend. Mine is hideous, but it gives me something to call it. In private, at least. :smalltongue:

Trobby
2010-10-31, 07:08 PM
Yes, please!

I also really need that extra sleep, since I've slept a total of 5 hours this entire weekend >< and I have work early tomorrow morning.

Naming is for when you have cool inspiration bursts! Otherwise it usually ends up a lame name, atleast with me.:smalltongue:

Actually, I do have a name for my novel. <.<; Just realized what I could call it. And it should at least work well as a working title anyway.

lesser_minion
2010-10-31, 07:27 PM
I think I might have just come up with a premise, although it's a little mundane compared with some peoples'.

I just hope it doesn't turn out too clichéd.

I'm wondering whether to do third person limited or first person -- either way, there will be switching from one character to another.

RobotPerfomance
2010-10-31, 07:55 PM
I will be giving NaNoWriMo another go this year. Hope I can finish it, but it should be fun either way. Looking forward to starting tomorrow.

Cardea
2010-10-31, 08:00 PM
Hey, so NaNoWriMo starts in a couple of hours. I don't intend on sleeping this first night. Tell me what you think of this premise, please, as told from a Bro:

So there's this girl, right? And she's living a pretty sheltered life on her Parent's farm. She's like, ten, too, so she's pretty young. She starts reading some books, and from some of them (Because they used to belong to her Parents who were once Scholars at a College of Magic), she begins to catch on that she can do magic too. So she runs away, joins a traveling Gypsy Caravan, which is really just a cover up for their Thieving Ring, which she helps out a little. During a heist, she gets stranded in a large city, which she finds out was on purpose, but only later on.

She finds work as a Librarian's assistant, and starts reading up on the world; her family heritage, the Gypsy Caravan and about Magic in general, and after a year or two of work, she sets out to find the Caravan, which is about to pull a large heist on the Capital of the Continent they are on.

She goes to stop the Heist, and while she tries to stop it, something or other stops her and then there's some exposition and blah blah blah. The guy writing this hasn't thought that far yet. He's been freaking out about making the titles all fancy before he even gets to them.

Recaiden
2010-10-31, 09:12 PM
I'm planning to participate, for a reason I can't even remember. There's a couple vague ideas, and I'm not sure which to write on... :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Emlyn
2010-10-31, 09:41 PM
For any of you that can't get a plot idea, may I recommend the plot machine at
http://scriptfrenzy.org/

Also is a good way to burn a half hour.

Snares
2010-10-31, 10:07 PM
Oh! I've never heard of this before, but it seems pretty interesting. I might give it a go. I can write things reasonably well, and very quickly... it's just planning that takes me AGES. As in, I have two 'novel plots' that I'm planning out at the moment. One has been in planning for three years, and the other for a few months. Which is probably bad. Oh well. ><

I might just end up sitting down and writing whatever the hell comes out... which will be interesting, if nothing else. Knowing my imagination, it will probably make zero sense too. Woo!

cycoris
2010-10-31, 10:12 PM
I'm planning to participate, for a reason I can't even remember. There's a couple vague ideas, and I'm not sure which to write on... :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Got a profile so that I can stalk your wordcount? :smalltongue:

Helanna
2010-10-31, 11:08 PM
Well NaNo started 6 minutes ago for me, and . . . I am kind of stuck on the first sentence, and already procrastinating on the forums.

I've got about an hour, maybe two, to get as far as I possibly can, because this year I have a job and my freshman year at college (including finals week) to deal with too . . . it'll be interesting, if nothing else.

Also, it's probably about time to name my characters.

The Pressman
2010-10-31, 11:18 PM
Quick! Good name for a fantasy interpretation of sherlock holmes!
And Watson!
And Moriarty!
AAAAAAAAGGGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG!!!!
JUST A BIT LONGER

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-31, 11:32 PM

Nah, get to the end without saying it. Even if people ask you after. :smallbiggrin:

You mean like everyone else? :smalltongue: Actually, it's not everyone.

And I should have already started to write.

Trobby
2010-11-01, 12:48 AM
It has started! CycleBot is go!

...tomorrow. D: It's like, triple quarter past 1 here. D= And I need sleep.

*Zzzz*

chiasaur11
2010-11-01, 02:27 AM
Got Minecraft the day before the thing starts.

I think this will be the greatest demand on human willpower in quite some time.

The Pressman
2010-11-01, 02:30 AM
Pacific Time is up, or was up 30 minutes ago.

TFT
2010-11-01, 02:58 AM
Well, I got about a third of the way to the daily goal, but that's probably as far as I'm going to get today(Unless I miraculously finish two pages of an essay in less then 6 hours and edit it to my satisfaction.) I'm just glad I got something down. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-11-01, 05:13 AM

It will be. Thank god I'm done with Minecraft for a while. I got it at the same time as Recettear and had a hard time deciding between those two already.

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 05:31 AM
Whoo done my 2k for the day. Favourite extract:
There are monks who claim that the way to enlightenment is through kōan, or what I like to term "nonsense questions that make absolutely no damn sense." They're the standard fare, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" et cetera. The reasoning is that you're not supposed to achieve enlightenment through the answer to the question, but that you're supposed to gain it through the journey to the answer, as if it were some sort of long haul flight to understanding land on a plane made of self-examination. Some have theorised that my brother's obsession with whether or not dogs are racist is a little like these kōan, that the point is not the question (which everyone agrees makes little sense), but that you're supposed to answer intuitively. It's all wrong though. He actually just really wants to know if dogs ostracise poodles for being too weird.

Weimann
2010-11-01, 05:56 AM
Wordcount: 0

Neat extract Dogmantra. Good work on your 2k.

I should start once I get home.

banjo1985
2010-11-01, 07:01 AM
It's November 1st already? :smalleek:

*panics*

I wanted to actually prepare something this year, but two hours of thinking up random tat at the beginning of last week was as far as I got.

Still, I will continue to participate nonetheless. Let's see if I can revive Ghost Writer for a few ideas.

lesser_minion
2010-11-01, 08:02 AM
I'm... stuck on the first sentence.

It's all very well and good having a plot idea, but not so much when you have to figure out how to spin that plot idea out into an actual novel.

Weimann
2010-11-01, 08:14 AM
While being far from an authority on this, lesser_minion, I'd advice skipping ahead and writing some of the scenes you've planned out first. Then you can reverse-engineer the rest to build up to them. Gets you off the ground :smallsmile:

HalfTangible
2010-11-01, 08:32 AM
While being far from an authority on this, lesser_minion, I'd advice skipping ahead and writing some of the scenes you've planned out first. Then you can reverse-engineer the rest to build up to them. Gets you off the ground :smallsmile:

:smalleek: ... :smallconfused: ... =D

Weimann you just solved half of the problems i'm having with a novel i've been writing since junior year in high school with an idea that seems bloody obvious in hindsight. 'Thank you' just does not cut it

Trobby
2010-11-01, 08:56 AM

You foolish fool! And only yesterday Notch's Halloween update went out! We're both doomed! D:

Hmm...I think I will start slow. If I can get at least one page done today, I can get five done on a good day, and an entire chapter done on a great day. But as long as I can get one page done every day, I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

My first chapter needs to set the scene...maybe I should take notes so I don't contradict myself later. :smalltongue:

Emlyn
2010-11-01, 09:04 AM
I'm... stuck on the first sentence.

It's all very well and good having a plot idea, but not so much when you have to figure out how to spin that plot idea out into an actual novel.

The other thing to remember, this is just a rough draft. The most important thing is to get it on paper. No matter how ugly or wretched those first few sentences are, they're there and you can move past them.

Weimann
2010-11-01, 10:52 AM
:smalleek: ... :smallconfused: ... =D

Weimann you just solved half of the problems i'm having with a novel i've been writing since junior year in high school with an idea that seems bloody obvious in hindsight. 'Thank you' just does not cut itYay, I was praised! I'm happy I was useful :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 11:20 AM
No matter how ugly or wretched those first few sentences are, they're there and you can move past them.

My first few sentences are this ugly and wretched. As in, of the first seven words, two would not be filtered on this website. I always like to open with a nice string of swears.

Weimann
2010-11-01, 11:37 AM
God damnit, I... I just can't start today. I don't have it in me today.

Tomorrow. I will start tomorrow. Promise.

lesser_minion
2010-11-01, 11:45 AM
Hmm... I still need to get 2-3000 words done today, so... yeah.

Annoyingly, I vaguely know what will happen to the protagonists, but I'm not sure why, which doesn't help anyone.

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 11:50 AM
Annoyingly, I vaguely know what will happen to the protagonists, but I'm not sure why, which doesn't help anyone.

Don't worry. I literally used all but two of my ideas, one of which is the overarching plot in this first 2k. :smallwink:

TFT
2010-11-01, 11:56 AM
Don't worry. I literally used all but two of my ideas, one of which is the overarching plot in this first 2k. :smallwink:

People come into this with ideas? I thought we were supposed to just wing it. :smalltongue: (Okay, fine, you caught me. I did come into this with an idea. But I have no idea where that idea is going. Whee!)

Emlyn
2010-11-01, 12:01 PM
My first few sentences are this ugly and wretched. As in, of the first seven words, two would not be filtered on this website. I always like to open with a nice string of swears.

Thats an interpretation I had not expected.

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 12:27 PM
Thats an interpretation I had not expected.

But it's me Emlyn. Expect the unexpected, right?

Cardea
2010-11-01, 12:29 PM
2,496 words in. Oh god. Sleep. Where did it go.

Trobby
2010-11-01, 12:30 PM
Gonna write later tonight. Probably will only get one page in. <.<; Mondays tend to be pretty busy for me.

Tuesday, however, should have plenty of time to write whatever I want. =3

cycoris
2010-11-01, 01:00 PM
Wheeee, I hit my wordcount by 10:30. Hopefully I can add more to it after work.

*bounce bounce bounce*

And I figured out how my character died! He's run over by a Campbell's truck while riding his bicycle home from a friend's house. The truck is full of Spaghetti-Os. It's very tragic. :smallbiggrin:

Cardea
2010-11-01, 01:12 PM
And I figured out how my character died! He's run over by a Campbell's truck while riding his bicycle home from a friend's house. The truck is full of Spaghetti-Os. It's very tragic. :smallbiggrin:
That sounds like a really effective marketing strategy for a Rival Company.

"Spaghetti-Os and Campbell Soup endorse Vehicular Homicide. Is that what you want to support? If not, try new Soupin Spaghetti Bits(tm)!"

Raz_Fox
2010-11-01, 01:15 PM
I was worried about hitting my word count every day this year, seeing as how I've got schoolwork up to here, plus an Eagle Scout badge to finish working towards by the end of the month for that shiny 2010 badge, and everyday stuff on top of that.

This morning, between 12:00 and 12:30 I wrote a thousand words, and then six hundred more this morning between 8:00 and 8:30. And I'm planning to write at least four hundred more today.

Suddenly, NaNoWriMo isn't so fearsome for me. In fact, it feels immensely liberating to be committed to writing like this. I know I'm still in the "everything you write is crap you stupid teenager" stage of being an author, but it's crap that I'm actually feeling proud about.

I'm planning to take the CreateSpace special offer this year, just so I can point out that I have (self-)published one of my novels and that I actually finished the story I set out to tell. Which means that for me this year, NaNoWriMo may conceivably extend to early December, if that's what it takes to finish the story.

cycoris
2010-11-01, 01:15 PM
That sounds like a really effective marketing strategy for a Rival Company.

"Spaghetti-Os and Campbell Soup endorse Vehicular Homicide. Is that what you want to support? If not, try new Soupin Spaghetti Bits(tm)!"

*giggle*

Mind if I use that at some point if it comes up? :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 01:17 PM
I'm planning to take the CreateSpace special offer this year, just so I can point out that I have (self-)published one of my novels and that I actually finished the story I set out to tell. Which means that for me this year, NaNoWriMo may conceivably extend to early December, if that's what it takes to finish the story.

I planned on it last year, but my story was a complete mess that I never got around to editing. I think I have a much clearer idea of what's going to happen this time around. Then maybe some other time I can rewrite last year's NaNovel.

Cardea
2010-11-01, 01:18 PM
*giggle*

Mind if I use that at some point if it comes up? :smalltongue:

I would be flattered.

cycoris
2010-11-01, 01:46 PM
I would be flattered.

Huzzah!

Also, I got to use the word "solipsism" in the first thousand word of my book. Am inordinately pleased. :smallcool:

Cardea
2010-11-01, 02:15 PM
Also, I got to use the word "solipsism" in the first thousand word of my book. Am inordinately pleased. :smallcool:

What exactly are you writing?

cycoris
2010-11-01, 03:46 PM
What exactly are you writing?

I'm writing serious craziness.

Here I am at 2,555 words so far. Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to what words I overuse? Hypothesise as to what my book is about? Tell me why my word cloud looks like a whale? If you squint hard enough, does it look like a zeppelin?
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/soggyspaghetti/Screenshot2010-11-01at12145PM.png

I'm thinking of dubbing NaNo as "thank gods it's only a first draft".

PanNarrans
2010-11-01, 03:49 PM
I'm in! I failed miserably last year, but this year I WILL SUCCEED. I'm writing Seed of Yggdrasil, a soft sci-fi thing amalgamating things I think are awesome.

Cardea
2010-11-01, 03:56 PM

Here I am at 2,555 words so far. Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to what words I overuse? Hypothesise as to what my book is about? Tell me why my word cloud looks like a whale? If you squint hard enough, does it look like a zeppelin?
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/soggyspaghetti/Screenshot2010-11-01at12145PM.png

Flying Whales. That is the answer.

Dogmantra
2010-11-01, 03:58 PM

Hey, um, how do you do this? I'm sure I've found a site that lets you before, but I can't remember it.

cycoris
2010-11-01, 04:07 PM
Hey, um, how do you do this? I'm sure I've found a site that lets you before, but I can't remember it.

I used this site (http://www.wordle.net/), but I'm sure there are others out there...

TFT
2010-11-01, 07:07 PM
Hmm, if I were to create a thread in which people could post their X amount of words per day, then we (I) would keep track to encourage people to keep writing, would people actually use it? Or would it go to waste?

cycoris
2010-11-01, 07:14 PM
Hmm, if I were to create a thread in which people could post their X amount of words per day, then we (I) would keep track to encourage people to keep writing, would people actually use it? Or would it go to waste?

Isn't that what the buddy function on the NaNo site is for? :smallconfused:

Though it would be useful to have a compilation post of people's accounts so we can look them up and buddy them... *hint hint*

:smalltongue:

TFT
2010-11-01, 07:17 PM

Though it would be useful to have a compilation post of people's accounts so we can look them up and buddy them... *hint hint*

Hmm, that might work as well. If I have time tonight, I'll compile a list. If not, then I'll do it while I'm bored at school tomorrow. Unless someone beats me to it.

Recaiden
2010-11-01, 07:21 PM

So, I've started writing finally. I hate Mondays.
No real idea as to the story, just writing what comes to me. All of 198 words so far. :smalltongue:

Anyway, here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/723676) I am on their website.

Seft Sirag
2010-11-01, 07:32 PM
Blargh! 422 words for the first day - though I only managed to get in two hours of writing, thanks to having to work during the day (why did it (NaNo) have to start on the only day of the week I have any real commitments?!).

The profile (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/639338)

chiasaur11
2010-11-01, 07:34 PM
Hit my quota.

Might try to get ahead. See Minecraft?

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

Cardea
2010-11-01, 08:33 PM

QUICK BUDDY ME. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/718768)

Someone should start a table, then.

Also, anyone on AIM? I am: GoldenCardea

Raz_Fox
2010-11-01, 08:54 PM
Current word count: 1900.
Threshold for this evening: 2000.
Goal to fight for: 2500.
Dialogue: Not page-burningly bad.
Raz: Awesome. :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2010-11-01, 09:11 PM
Sigh... Only 780 words today. And I have school, so that means work... Which means less writing. I hope I can do this.

Lioness
2010-11-01, 09:18 PM
I was worried about hitting my word count every day this year, seeing as how I've got schoolwork up to here, plus an Eagle Scout badge to finish working towards by the end of the month for that shiny 2010 badge, and everyday stuff on top of that.

This morning, between 12:00 and 12:30 I wrote a thousand words, and then six hundred more this morning between 8:00 and 8:30. And I'm planning to write at least four hundred more today.

Suddenly, NaNoWriMo isn't so fearsome for me. In fact, it feels immensely liberating to be committed to writing like this. I know I'm still in the "everything you write is crap you stupid teenager" stage of being an author, but it's crap that I'm actually feeling proud about.

This was me exactly last year.

Heck, it's me exactly this year too. Am planning to start in a few minutes...I shouldn't, but meh. My starting sentence came to me at 11pm last night.

I like that.
I like that a lot.

Also, after having a Harry Potter-related dream last night, I am tempted to abandon all plans for my novel and write a HP Fanfic...

EDIT: NOES!!!NOESNOESNOESNOES! My Beta version of Office 2010 chose today to expire! [expletives]

:smallfrown:

OpenOffice it is....

Alarra
2010-11-01, 09:46 PM
I'm doing much better than I anticipated. I'm not having more time to write than I intended, but the words are flowing very well so far. I was able to write pretty much from 8 to 10 tonight, though as I was at a sort of write-in, there was a fair bit of chatting going on as well, but anyway, in two hours I got 2,952 words. So yes, happy writing day.

AshDesert
2010-11-01, 10:01 PM
I wish I had time to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I just have way too much to do this year. What sucks is that I have an incredible concept for a novel that came to me a few months ago. Guess I'll just have to sit on that little gem for another year.

Kiren
2010-11-01, 10:05 PM
God damnit, I... I just can't start today. I don't have it in me today.

Tomorrow. I will start tomorrow. Promise.

Ok then, its not just me lol.

VanBuren
2010-11-01, 10:13 PM
It's not too bad so far, especially for my first novel. In the hands of a more competent writer, this could be worth something. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2010-11-01, 10:43 PM
My main character is trying to tell me his name is James Madison. Not after the President, but after his grandfather. Who was named after HIS grandfather. Who was named after the President. So he'd be named after a guy named after a guy named after President Madison.

I'm not sure whether my main character is lying to me or not.

Crimmy
2010-11-01, 10:52 PM
I'm going for a novel in which I introduce a new universe.
Futuristic, and has creatures called Weirdos.

Also, the main female role has the name of a very good friend.

Raistlin1040
2010-11-01, 11:04 PM
I said I'd wait 20 minutes to see if I heard a better suggestion. I did not. James Madison it is.

Raz_Fox
2010-11-01, 11:17 PM
2650+ in the first day. This is a Good Thing.

VanBuren
2010-11-01, 11:31 PM
My main character is trying to tell me his name is James Madison. Not after the President, but after his grandfather. Who was named after HIS grandfather. Who was named after the President. So he'd be named after a guy named after a guy named after President Madison.

I'm not sure whether my main character is lying to me or not.

Mine is telling me that his name is Abraham Lincoln. Not after the president, but because he is the President!

So I just said what the hell, and went with it. Apparently he'll be fighting Zeus at some point.

So yeah.

Dragonrider
2010-11-01, 11:47 PM
Usually I feel pretty good about my NaNoNovel. Pretty coherent. Pretty okay.

But this?

This is TRASH. The first chapter has way too much dialogue, the second way too much description. And I have no idea how I'm going to introduce the main plot point, which is very delicate. Mental illness. Furthermore, I have two completely different main storylines and I'm far too caught up in worldbuilding and not-so-subtle infodump.

At least I'm enjoying myself. More than three days' worth of writing accomplished today. I didn't go to the write-in, though . . . too exhausted from school and work.

cycoris
2010-11-02, 12:24 AM
4,083. I didn't quite hit my desired wordcount for today (okay, okay, I fell 1,000 words short), but I'm pretty pleased with what I've written so far, even if it is going to need some serious edits.

Hopefully I can keep this up. I'm even having the sneaking suspicion I might even like this novel!

Crimmy
2010-11-02, 12:59 AM
1772 words.
Given the fact that I'm a beginner, I'm quite pleased with this.

FoE
2010-11-02, 01:47 AM
550 words. Not a bad start.

TFT
2010-11-02, 02:01 AM
Here is a complete** list* of people who have posted their profiles in this account.

Alarra's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/409836)

banjo1985's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511396)

Cardea's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/718768)

chiasaur11's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/657688#)

cycoris' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512380)

Dallas-Dakota's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/455940)

Dragonrider's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/412011)

Dreaminthedark's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/637659)

Elvaris' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/110286)

Emlyn's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/714379)

Helanna's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/202216)

IcarusWings' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/646309)

Introbulus' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/658545)

KenderWizard'shere (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/681581)

lesser_minion's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/672665)

Lil Shiro's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/743467)

Lioness' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/514333)

Raistlin1040's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/476694)

Raz_Fox's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511448)

Recaiden's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/723676)

Remmirath's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/695076)

RufusCorvus' here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/408543)

Seft Sirag's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/639338)

truemane's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/403809)

TheFieryTower's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/701316)

The Pressman's here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/715213)

VanBuren's here
(http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/606793)

If you, yes you, want to be on this list, please post your profile and/or PM me. Operators are not standing by, but will get to you eventually!
**TheFieryTower is not responsible for any time spent not on the list after expressing interest. Those expressing interest must be eligible to participate in Nano. For full details on NaNoWriMo please contact this site (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node). Are you still reading this? You are? Why aren't you writing? Well? Go back to it!
*Complete list as of November 3rd 2010, 1:55 PST

RufusCorvus
2010-11-02, 02:14 AM
My profile. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/408543)

I managed to hit 1,630 words... unfortunately, it was a little after midnight, so now I'm behind by ~1700 words now. Maybe I'll get a little written tomorrow. (Unlikely. Long day at school.)

VanBuren
2010-11-02, 02:20 AM
My profile.
(http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/606793)
I can easily say that about 300 of the words I've written are awful filler that I threw into to pad my wordcount for the day, but that was because I didn't want to write past my section either.

Tomorrow I can throw more words and move on with the actual plot

The Pressman
2010-11-02, 02:24 AM
Me! (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/715213)
MY PITIFUL LACK OF WORDS MAKES ME HATE MY PHOTOSYNTHESIS-PROJECT-TURNED-COMMUNIST-PARABLE. Curse you, school? May Cthulhu devour your mind!
Anyways, I actually have a few pages done. On paper, so that's a pain.

Remmirath
2010-11-02, 02:42 AM
I got to around 2600 yesterday/today-as-I-think-of-it, which was about 2000 more than I thought I had (my word processor doesn't have a word count feature, and I'm bad at eyeballing it), so that's good. :smallbiggrin:

On the other hand, the site wasn't working for me pretty much all day so I only managed to actually update the word count around 1:00 AM. Ah well.

This week is tech week, so I'm not expecting to get very much done most days (today and Wednesday being the only days I don't have to do anything). I'll just try to write like a madman next week. That sounds like the thing to be done.