PDA

View Full Version : Half-Plate [3.5]

Temotei
2010-08-24, 09:30 PM
Half-plate costs 600 gp and grants a +7 armor bonus to AC with a maximum Dexterity bonus of +0 (armor check penalty -7).

Full plate costs 1,500 gp and grants a +8 armor bonus to AC with a maximum Dexterity bonus of +1 (armor check penalty -6).

If a character has a +0 Dexterity modifier, would half-plate be better for pure combat purposes (no Balance, Jump, Tumble, etc.), or is that +1 AC worth the 900 gp?

My thoughts: It's probably not worth buying full plate until later, when you have gold falling out of your pupils (4th - 6th level on).

Your thoughts?

Coidzor
2010-08-24, 09:34 PM
Isn't it about the same point by WBL that you'll be able to afford either anyway?

AmberVael
2010-08-24, 09:36 PM
A few thoughts-

1. You can't afford either at level 1 (probably not level 2 either).
2. Buying magical armor costs 1000+ armor costs. So essentially, you're paying 1,000 for a +1.
3. For someone actually looking to invest in armor, Full Plate is pretty cheap in the long run.

Honestly... I can't imagine ever using Half-Plate, unless I picked it up at a low level off an enemy and REALLY needed that extra AC. I'd certainly never waste my money on it. Full Plate is better in every respect but cost, and it isn't all that much higher in price. You'd be able to afford it by level 3 (2,700 gold), definitely by level 4 (5,400 gold).

Beorn080
2010-08-24, 09:45 PM
Unless you have a 6 dex, you should just go for fullplate, and if you have 6 dex you REALLY need the extra point anyway. At worst, you can bum a Cat's Grace off a friendly caster or a wand, and that will give you your bonus, even at 8 dex.

I think the only time it really matters is when making dragonhide plate, but not too sure.

Yeah, you only need a dragon 3 sizes larger for half plate, whereas you need 4 sizes larger for fullplate or breastplate.

RandomLunatic
2010-08-24, 09:46 PM
Bear in mind a magical +1 Bonus to AC will start at 1,000 GP and go up exponentially. 900 GP is a steal, and you are slightly less screwed on your physical skills. Full Plate is the only heavy armor worth buying.

Temotei
2010-08-24, 09:52 PM
Good points. I'm not used to outfitting heavily armored characters, so this is slightly different than what is usual for me. I like light armor. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-08-24, 11:35 PM
I like Mithral Fullplate +x with greater blurring for my battle sorceror. Guy does like 6d6 damage a hit with his greater walloping warhammer, more if he uses other spells to enhance it. And all of that is just when he gets bored of killing whole armies with meteor swarm and cloudkill. :smallsmile:

Mithral Fullplate is really expensive but it's really the best mundane armor for those with 17 or less dex. Even more for the dread commando PrC. Hooray for no acp fullplate!

RebelRogue
2010-08-25, 12:05 AM
Is there anyone who does not agree that half-plate is a totally worthless armor type?

PId6
2010-08-25, 12:07 AM
Is there anyone who does not agree that half-plate is a totally worthless armor type?
Well, it's great to give to NPC warrior mooks for the PCs to plow through. Much cheaper than full plate (so less PC wealth after killing them), with almost as much protection. But yeah, pretty worthless for PCs though.

TaintedLight
2010-08-25, 12:10 AM
Half-plate costs 600 gp and grants a +7 armor bonus to AC with a maximum Dexterity bonus of +0 (armor check penalty -7).

Full plate costs 1,500 gp and grants a +8 armor bonus to AC with a maximum Dexterity bonus of +1 (armor check penalty -6).

If a character has a +0 Dexterity modifier, would half-plate be better for pure combat purposes (no Balance, Jump, Tumble, etc.), or is that +1 AC worth the 900 gp?

My thoughts: It's probably not worth buying full plate until later, when you have gold falling out of your pupils (4th - 6th level on).

Your thoughts?

Half plate is made of fail. At the armor check penalties we're talking about, an extra -1 is not such a big deal, but the point of wearing all that armor is to be hard to hit. Thus, you should be maximizing that advantage.