PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the zombie invasion?

pendell
2010-08-25, 08:16 AM
Turns out that there is a fungus which turns ants into zombies.

The Guardian reports (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/aug/18/zombie-carpenter-ant-fungus)

'Zombie ants' controlled by parasitic fungus for 48m years

Earliest evidence of fungus that takes over ants' behaviour for its own ends found by scientists

Hmmm ...

1) Acquire fungus (it exists in present day forests)
2) Genetically modify to work on humans , preferably without killing them.
3) ???
4) Profit!

Tongue in cheek,

Brian P.

Moonshadow
2010-08-25, 08:21 AM
Sounds like Zombieland, or I am Legend waiting to happen.

hamishspence
2010-08-25, 08:57 AM
Wasn't there an article about a parasite, carried by cats, that modifies, slightly, human behaviour for its own ends?

Kiren
2010-08-25, 10:00 AM
Wasn't there an article about a parasite, carried by cats, that modifies, slightly, human behaviour for its own ends?

Someone's been talking to Andrew Ryan. Jk, found the article.

http://www.damninteresting.com/parasites-on-the-brain

hamishspence
2010-08-25, 10:08 AM
I first read about it TV Tropes, under Nightmare Fuel.

Pyrian
2010-08-25, 10:15 AM
^ I'm pretty sure that one turned out to be inaccurate. Although the "zombie ants" thing is pretty old news (but damn cool). ...I mean, even some pretty typical things like rabies does this, though. Think about rabies for a second: it's a disease transmitted by bite that sends animals who come down with it into an angry biting spree before killing them. Zombie disease? Basically, yes.

John Cribati
2010-08-25, 11:16 AM
I'm ready. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html)

Thalia
2010-08-25, 11:34 AM
I'm ready,

http://joshuamauldin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/zombie-survival-guide.jpg

Mystic Muse
2010-08-25, 11:38 AM
I've got a katana in my room and in a couple of months I'll have my own gun.

I don't know that I'm ready but if I'm going to go I'm taking a few of them with me

Ignition
2010-08-25, 11:57 AM
I'm nearing my 300th hour on Left 4 Dead 2. I regularly crown Witches with a pump shotgun. I've got enough stored energy to last me a lifetime, and a general misanthropy which prevents me from making the "but they might be saved/turned back!" fallacy that kills most wannabe survivalists. I was born for the Zombie Apocalypse, and I'll be the last one standing :smallwink:

I have a rule about playing L4D2: Stay within melee range of me, and you're safe. If you don't, I'm leaving you behind. Simple, easy to remember, haha.

Cealocanth
2010-08-25, 10:35 PM
As I've said before, I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Marnath
2010-08-25, 10:50 PM
This (http://xkcd.com/734/) strikes me as the most likely scenario.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-25, 11:46 PM
1) Rig area with explosives
2) Blast The Trooper
3) Attract all zombies in 250 miles
4) ????
5) Die in enourmous explosion.

No profit, unfortunately.

nihilism
2010-08-26, 12:54 AM
{scrubbed}

Mystic Muse
2010-08-26, 12:57 AM
{scrubbed}

:smallconfused:

Marnath
2010-08-26, 02:35 AM
{scrubbed}

That was uncalled for...

MoelVermillion
2010-08-26, 03:32 AM
Well it really comes down to if mosquitoes are able to transfer zombie-ism or not seeing as some media portrays it as being able to be blood transferred, if they can then I am pretty screwed, I live near a river and the mosquitoes love me.

And yeah I know that this won't work with fungus zombies but I'm just talking all types of zombies here.

Elm11
2010-08-26, 05:22 AM
{scrubbed}

I don't suppose you'd care to explain what you mean by this?

On another note, we're fairly prepared. I expect that in a zombie apocalypse the previously linked cracked article would eventuate, but if it goes bad, we have a powerful rifle and 3 months food and water supplies in the house, as well as all the material we could hope for to barricade it successfully. We're pretty much set hopefully.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 08:51 AM
I'd rather he didn't :smallwink: We're not turning a Zombie thread into a Gun Control thread.

Asta Kask
2010-08-26, 08:55 AM
I shot one the other month and it turned out to be a hippie with the munchies... man was I in trouble.

pendell
2010-08-26, 09:20 AM
I don't suppose you'd care to explain what you mean by this?

On another note, we're fairly prepared. I expect that in a zombie apocalypse the previously linked cracked article would eventuate, but if it goes bad, we have a powerful rifle and 3 months food and water supplies in the house, as well as all the material we could hope for to barricade it successfully. We're pretty much set hopefully.

Erm... pardon my ignorance, but is a powerful rifle that useful against zombies? I would think a flamethrower or something explosive would be more effective than a device for simply punching holes at a distance would be.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 09:20 AM
I shot one the other month and it turned out to be a hippie with the munchies... man was I in trouble.
Yeah, the cleaning bill for brains can really wreak you up. :smalltongue:
Zombies? Eh, I have no access to weapons, nor training. However, I do have a bike. No Romero, or other uncoordinated and braindead, zombie will be able to ride a bike, so it's going to be pretty obvious I am human and I don't need gas. Plus, I am faster then any shambler. And frankly, any other kind is just seems implausible. More implausible, that is.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 09:31 AM
Erm... pardon my ignorance, but is a powerful rifle that useful against zombies? I would think a flamethrower or something explosive would be more effective than a device for simply punching holes at a distance would be.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Depends on circumstances. Using World War Z/Romero rules, you want as much distance between you and your target as possible. Taking off limbs is pointless for WWZ/Romero zombies, because until the brain is destroyed, the zombie will keep coming after you/will still be infectious. Setting fire to a WWZ/Romero zombie is really bad, because if the brain isn't cooked by the time it gets in melee range of you, then you not only have a zombie eating you, but you're also on fire now. Bad times, right?

Also, fire/explosions work on you worse than zombies. Blow off your own limb/give yourself burns, you're at lower capacity. Zombies have to have the brains destroyed or they just keep coming for you. Most people do not have the capabilities to repair and maintain flamethrowers, and maintaining weapons is very important during a drawn-out zombie apocalypse. Really, you're better off with a hunting rifle that you know how to use/clean than you are with a SMG or flamethrower or explosive that you likely don't.

Now granted, Left 4 Dead zombies go down to just about anything, so a flamethrower is fine then. But truly undead zombies, rather than people infected with a Rage Virus like in L4D or 28 Units of Time Later, must be headshot in order to be killed.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 11:09 AM
For most of Canada, the Zombie Apocalypse would be over by mid winter. Why? Water expands when it freezes. Your cells, including your brain cells, are mostly water. When that water expands, it makes the cell walls burst. Destroying a zombies brain kills 'em, right?
Winter kills a zombies brain.
Frankly, a bigger problem would be dealing with all the American refugees swarming across the border for most of Canada and the disruption of trade.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 12:28 PM
For most of Canada, the Zombie Apocalypse would be over by mid winter. Why? Water expands when it freezes. Your cells, including your brain cells, are mostly water. When that water expands, it makes the cell walls burst. Destroying a zombies brain kills 'em, right?
Winter kills a zombies brain.
Frankly, a bigger problem would be dealing with all the American refugees swarming across the border for most of Canada and the disruption of trade.

Both of these were addressed in World War Z. Apparently, zombies don't die when they freeze; they simply hibernate. Whatever the zombie brain organ is, it does not have any limitations in this regard. It might have something to do with the necrotic sludge that their blood becomes after transmutation. But in either case, winter does come and freeze the dead, but when spring thaws the ice and snow, the zombies start shambling again if they didn't have their heads destroyed prior to spring thaw.

Refugees and trade relations being 'disrupted' - a very charitable way of putting it :smallwink: - are the big themes of WWZ; humanity trying to catch its breath long enough to actually make steps at retaking infected territory, learning how to survive and defeat not only the undead but also human threats and ecological problems.

No I have not read WWZ eight times start to finish, why do you ask? :smallamused:

TheThan
2010-08-26, 01:27 PM

Respectfully,

Brian P.

the problem with a flamethrower is that they are not at all effective against zombies. here's 4 reasons why:

1: zombies feel no pain, so the excruciating pain of being caught on fire will not act as a deterrent.

2: fire doesn't kill instantly. in order to stop a zombie, you need to "kill" it before it gets to you. Fire takes time to kill, so a zombie has plenty of time to just shamble up to you and start brain munching. Basically you turn dangerous zombies into flaming dangerous zombies.

3: proper flamethrowers, are hard to come by. Since they're illegal in a lot of places. While you can MacGyver up a flame thrower with a lighter and hair spray. its not really going to be that effective (very limited supply of ammo).

4: limited range, most flamethrowers shoot 10-20 or so feet. i'm not sure on the actual range, but they are pretty much going to be right on top of you before you can use it and hit anything.

Worira
2010-08-26, 01:37 PM
If by 10 you mean 100, then yes.

Marnath
2010-08-26, 01:50 PM

Wouldn't be too big of a deal, 98% of the population here wouldn't last one day outside of civilization. The refugees you did get would probably be in the tens of thousands, not millions. Everyone else either froze to death because they've never tried to live outdoors, or they starved because they have no concept of how to forage. Plus you know, most americans don't have the stamina to outrun a shambler.

TheThan
2010-08-26, 02:11 PM
If by 10 you mean 100, then yes.

ok 100 feet. but still guns out range them, so my point is still valid. :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-08-26, 02:15 PM
ok 100 feet. but still guns out range them, so my point is still valid. :smallbiggrin:

If you're not trained, you won't probably hit anything beyond that with a gun, either. It's harder than it looks. >.>

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 02:52 PM
Both of these were addressed in World War Z. Apparently, zombies don't die when they freeze; they simply hibernate. Whatever the zombie brain organ is, it does not have any limitations in this regard. It might have something to do with the necrotic sludge that their blood becomes after transmutation. But in either case, winter does come and freeze the dead, but when spring thaws the ice and snow, the zombies start shambling again if they didn't have their heads destroyed prior to spring thaw.

Refugees and trade relations being 'disrupted' - a very charitable way of putting it :smallwink: - are the big themes of WWZ; humanity trying to catch its breath long enough to actually make steps at retaking infected territory, learning how to survive and defeat not only the undead but also human threats and ecological problems.

No I have not read WWZ eight times start to finish, why do you ask? :smallamused:
And that's STUPID. Brain destroyed kills zombies, but winter destroys brains. If your brain is made of cells, it's dead.
To say otherwise is to change rules mid-stream.
We still can't freeze many organs for transport for organ donation, despite obvious benefits and a lot of research in doing so. And zombies just happen to be able to do it?
Ass. PULL.

Drago
2010-08-26, 03:13 PM
And that's STUPID. Brain destroyed kills zombies, but winter destroys brains. If your brain is made of cells, it's dead.
To say otherwise is to change rules mid-stream.
We still can't freeze many organs for transport for organ donation, despite obvious benefits and a lot of research in doing so. And zombies just happen to be able to do it?
Ass. PULL.

A better way of putting it is: An author’s ignorance of the sciences doesn't make good material for mythologies. :smallannoyed:

And never mind that the zombies brain would be liquid and run out of its nasal passages when it thawed, but all of its (admittedly dead) flesh would be horribly frost burnt to the point of falling off, in which case we have a skeleton but not much of a zombie. So yes a frozen brain should by all logical means be a dead brain... therefore a dead zombie.

Though if it must be insisted that the zombies are fine come thaw, then I suggest baseball bats and crowbars and we go play shatter-some-frozen-zombie-skull!

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 03:27 PM
A better way of putting it is: An author’s ignorance of the sciences doesn't make good material for mythologies. :smallannoyed:

And never mind that the zombies brain would be liquid and run out of its nasal passages when it thawed, but all of its (admittedly dead) flesh would be horribly frost burnt to the point of falling off, in which case we have a skeleton but not much of a zombie. So yes a frozen brain should by all logical means be a dead brain... therefore a dead zombie.

Though if it must be insisted that the zombies are fine come thaw, then I suggest baseball bats and crowbars and we go play shatter-some-frozen-zombie-skull!
Heh heh, yeah. Or a chainsaw and a wood chipper. Hey, if it can work for the Mob, it can work for the well prepared Zed Hunter, eh?

Pyrian
2010-08-26, 03:35 PM
...If you want to point out something about undead zombies not making sense, you choose a rather strange spot to make a stand. :smallconfused: I mean, all those claims about freezing "killing" what's already dead? That's all going to happen anyway and much faster at warmer temperatures.

Worira
2010-08-26, 03:49 PM
Well, not really. Below zero, it'll happen in less than a day.

Also, very few Canadians actually live in the wilderness. But zombies are going to be just as frozen in the streets of, say, Edmonton, as in the depths of the Yukon.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 03:50 PM
...If you want to point out something about undead zombies not making sense, you choose a rather strange spot to make a stand. :smallconfused: I mean, all those claims about freezing "killing" what's already dead? That's all going to happen anyway and much faster at warmer temperatures.
That's also a complaint but for different reasons. But Zombies are often explicitly destroyed by brain destruction. And freezing destroys the brain.The problem isn't so mcuh zombies don't make sense, they don't make sense at all anyway, but the changing of the rules. Consistency is more important then then realism. If there is a rule but then the story violates its own rule, that is poor writing, especially if it has presented itself as consistent and logical within its rules.

Pyrian
2010-08-26, 04:09 PM
Freezing destroys the brain just like a loss of blood flow destroys the brain. There really isn't much freezing does to it that the death of the host won't do to it (and usually sooner).

In the fiction referenced, zombies are stopped by putting a physical object through the brain, and not stopped by any number of conditions which would merely kill a normal brain itself. So, no, in this case the fiction is being entirely consistent with its own premises and your notion would not be.

I don't see any reason why an object already supposed to survive and function more or less indefinitely without being particularly subject to rot or decay would necessarily be destroyed by freezing.

Drago
2010-08-26, 04:10 PM

Of course zombies don't make sense, and I am more than willing to accept the rules of any piece of fiction (as long as they are obvious, otherwise I assume reality stands).

In this case the rule is destroying the brain renders the zombie inert, then the exception of freezing the brain comes up and the justification is they hibernate. All I have to say to that is look up what happens when you freeze organic tissue (living or dead) and then look up hibernation and get back to me with whether or not that makes sense. (just to be clear that would be pointed at the author, not you Pyrian).

Now if by hibernate, they mean crawl into a hole below the frost line and wait the winter out, then yes the zombie would “live” through the winter, but when the example given then says they thaw that option isn’t very likely (nor is it since most shambling style zombies are rather mindless so seeking shelter would be out of character.)

Whereas, say instead of destroying the brain only decapitation would "kill" the zombie, then I can more than except the zombie thawing out and being no worse for wear. See where I’m coming from?

Brain + feezing = no more brain, no more brain = no more zombie therefore Brain + feezing should equal no more zombie.

Or in the case of needing to decapitate the zombie: Brain + feezing = no more brain, no more brain = zombie doesn’t care its head is still on its shoulder so it keep on trucking.

It’s all about internal consistency, and the author not understanding science doesn’t qualify as internal consistency.

Edit: As to Pyrian's new post, if cooking the brain will kill the zombie, then feezing should as well. Freezing/cooking does NOT qualify as rot of decay, which is what the zombie is immune to.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 04:19 PM
It's not a matter of not understanding science; it's a matter of WWZ zombies not following strict physical law as we understand it. After all, there are no real zombies :smallwink: That's part of the horror, that they don't follow the rules that we understand: they don't die to freezing, they don't die to blood loss (since again, their blood congeals into some other substance), they don't die to axphxiation or poison or crushing pressure under the ocean. They're alien, they're weird, but they're still there and ready to chow down. They're a testament of how little we know/are willing to accept about reality. If, in a zombie apocalypse situation, you're sitting there going 'BUT THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN LIKE THAT', the zombie is going to eat you.

That happens to a lot of people in the book, haha. They get caught up by 'This should not be happening', when instead they should as 'What am I going to do about what IS happening?', and then acting from there. The more he would try to explain, the less horrific they are. Ignorance is the real enemy in a zombie apocalypse.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-26, 04:21 PM
Freezing destroys the brain just like a loss of blood flow destroys the brain. There really isn't much freezing does to it that the death of the host won't do to it (and usually sooner).

In the fiction referenced, zombies are stopped by putting a physical object through the brain, and not stopped by any number of conditions which would merely kill a normal brain itself. So, no, in this case the fiction is being entirely consistent with its own premises and your notion would not be.

I don't see any reason why an object already supposed to survive and function more or less indefinitely without being particularly subject to rot or decay would necessarily be destroyed by freezing.
The freezing destroys the brain as a cohesive object. Even if it only needs the brain for some symbolic purpose, the brain is literally liquefied by freezing, making it drain through the several orifices and holes in the head come spring. And hibernating animals generally find caves, or make holes or hide under snow or underwater, and other ways of staying at more reasonable temperatures, even in winter. A human shambler has none of these defences. It's just going to keep walking, up right so much more surface area in the wind, until it's frozen.

Pyrian
2010-08-26, 04:25 PM
Edit: As to Pyrian's new post, if cooking the brain will kill the zombie, then feezing should as well.That's not really true at all. Resistance to one does not constitute resistance to the other. And my understanding is that zombies are quite resistant to fire relative to humans, anyway.

Freezing/cooking does NOT qualify as rot of decay, which is what the zombie is immune to.See, this is where you're just making stuff up. Why are you qualified to make stuff up about this fictional entity and the author isn't?

Your whole argument is, this stuff you've made up about a fictional entity doesn't match what the author made up about a fictional entity and therefore THE AUTHOR IS WRONG OMG because you made up slightly different stuff.

I mean, FFS, zombies blatantly violate entropy and you're up in arms that they might survive freezing? Maybe the impossible energy source which keeps them moving prevents them from freezing all the way through.

EDIT:
The freezing destroys the brain as a cohesive object.So does death. The brain is barely a cohesive object in the first place. Maybe it gets a little dessicated and ropy in the zombification process.

TheThan
2010-08-26, 04:29 PM
If you're not trained, you won't probably hit anything beyond that with a gun, either. It's harder than it looks. >.>

well yeah, we're assuming that you've been trained in the use of firearms and that your zombie proof compound is secured with watch towers and you've used the flamethrower to clear all the vegetation in a 50+ yard perimeter around your compound. So that you have an unobstructed view of the immediate vicinity and clear firing lanes.

what? Don't you have a zombie proof compound? You can never be too careful you know.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 04:33 PM
A human shambler has none of these defences. It's just going to keep walking, up right so much more surface area in the wind, until it's frozen.

Here is where I think there is confusion. A WWZ zombie is an entirely new, alien organism that happens to be in the form of a human. It is not subject to human biology. If anything, the zombie brain is more of a parasite using the human body it inhabits as a puppet, for whatever sick urges/motivations it has.

Breaking away from "it's fundamentally a human" preconception is the first layer of understanding zombies. They look like humans, but are not.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-26, 04:33 PM
Freezing aside, I would say I am better prepared than your average human. I'm not an expert survivalist, but I know how to shoot a gun, I have and know how to shoot with a bow & arrow, I can skillfully use a staff (or metal pipe, in a pinch) in self-defense, I know how to grow my own food and I am really, really good at climbing. Zombies can't climb trees, can they?

Only problem I might have is letting my morals get in the way of some of the gritty things I would need to do to survive... like killing other people to preserve or acquire much needed resources. Couldn't do it.

Ignition
2010-08-26, 04:38 PM
Freezing aside, I would say I am better prepared than your average human. I'm not an expert survivalist, but I know how to shoot a gun, I have and know how to shoot with a bow & arrow, I can skillfully use a staff (or metal pipe, in a pinch) in self-defense, I know how to grow my own food and I am really, really good at climbing. Zombies can't climb trees, can they?

Only problem I might have is letting my morals get in the way of some of the gritty things I would need to do to survive... like killing other people to preserve or acquire much needed resources. Couldn't do it.

They can't climb trees, per se, but they will be attracted to your location over time; it is conceivable, if your tree is low enough and you wait long enough, they could accidentally develop enough of a ramp/ring of ghouls around you that you'd be painted into a corner if you ever needed to leave your tree. You're better off with the gun, especially with bullets that shatter into the brain on impact, and a staff/metal pipe, provided it has the durability to withstand prolonged use. Keep in mind for melee combat, you have to kill their brain in one shot, or else you're less likely to get off a successful second swing; stunning them is not an option :smallwink:

Also, you can survive without committing atrocities. Most people choose not to, though. Just the way they're wired :smallamused: But it is possible to survive without tripping your friend to outrun the zombies.

TheThan
2010-08-26, 07:52 PM
They can't climb trees, per se, but they will be attracted to your location over time; it is conceivable, if your tree is low enough and you wait long enough, they could accidentally develop enough of a ramp/ring of ghouls around you that you'd be painted into a corner if you ever needed to leave your tree. You're better off with the gun, especially with bullets that shatter into the brain on impact, and a staff/metal pipe, provided it has the durability to withstand prolonged use. Keep in mind for melee combat, you have to kill their brain in one shot, or else you're less likely to get off a successful second swing; stunning them is not an option :smallwink:

Also, you can survive without committing atrocities. Most people choose not to, though. Just the way they're wired :smallamused: But it is possible to survive without tripping your friend to outrun the zombies.

True but if your in trees, then you may have to deal with zombie squirrels or worse… zombie monkeys. it really depends on how bad the zombie infestation is.

Thajocoth
2010-08-26, 08:06 PM
Zombies would actually burn faster than humans. They're rotting. Rotting gives off flammable gasses. You set one ablaze and you might wind up with more of an explosion than a burning zombie... Which would then catch to zombies near it. You could essentially destroy a zombie hoard with a well-aimed match.

John Cribati
2010-08-26, 08:26 PM
Outside of the case of some sort of Rage Virus, a Zombie would be noticeably slower than I am. If said Zombie is sufficiently rotten, I'd be able to punch the head off in a shot or two. I may be slim, but I'm powerful.

Marnath
2010-08-26, 08:43 PM
Zombies would actually burn faster than humans. They're rotting. Rotting gives off flammable gasses. You set one ablaze and you might wind up with more of an explosion than a burning zombie... Which would then catch to zombies near it. You could essentially destroy a zombie hoard with a well-aimed match.

Obviously you've never tried to burn an actual rotting corpse. The methane burns off quickly, and then you're left with a pile of soggy gross meat which doesn't really burn that well due to being wet still.

Thajocoth
2010-08-27, 02:55 AM
Obviously you've never tried to burn an actual rotting corpse. The methane burns off quickly, and then you're left with a pile of soggy gross meat which doesn't really burn that well due to being wet still.

This post implies that you've burned corpses before. I'm not saying you're wrong either way. Wouldn't really know. Just wondering...

pendell
2010-08-27, 07:57 AM
This post implies that you've burned corpses before. I'm not saying you're wrong either way. Wouldn't really know. Just wondering...

Some cultures do practice cremation. Perhaps one worked at a crematorium, or knew someone who did.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 01:42 PM

I suppose i should have specificed Hog corspes, eh? :smallredface:
Not people but the principles are the same.

*For those of you who don't know, Hog = Pig.

pendell
2010-08-27, 04:19 PM

Yes. Yes, you should.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

RandomNPC
2010-08-27, 06:12 PM

it's to late, now every time I see your name I'm going to think "corpes burner"

back on topic, I'm not ready right here right now for zommies, but I have a plan set with some other people. I will supply the close combat rage of a dude with two sledgehammers, as apparently that's how I save the day in multiple peoples dreams.

Erloas
2010-08-27, 06:47 PM

Not really, 30 yards is not very far at all to shoot. Without training you aren't going to be hitting things in the head, but a torso shot should be easy with just about any gun and a few rounds to practice. They really are a point-and-click sort of weapon.

Marnath
2010-08-27, 07:51 PM
Not really, 30 yards is not very far at all to shoot. Without training you aren't going to be hitting things in the head, but a torso shot should be easy with just about any gun and a few rounds to practice. They really are a point-and-click sort of weapon.

Fair enough. However in this instance it doesn't help much, because zombies can take an awful lot of damage to the torso before they stop working. :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-27, 09:00 PM
I actually based a player race off that very fungus, except they grow out of the heads of fairies: Trlleetrllaa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134937)

In my homebrew game I also have an entire area devoted to that kind of fungus (where the trlleetrllaa come from in fac), each one able to take over certain kinds of creatures.

So much fun from such an innocuous lil mushroom :smallamused:

Btw, I own that Zombie Survival Handbook and it's actually kind of lame. It's werewolf equivalent, The Werewolf's Guide To Life, however is absolutely awesome.

The Librarian
2010-08-27, 11:01 PM
Been preparing for the day of Zombie Invasion for a Loooong time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-27, 11:16 PM
I actually based a player race off that very fungus, except they grow out of the heads of fairies: Trlleetrllaa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134937)

Oh, you. 'Is there anything you haven't statted', they ask. 'No', he replies, 'I have statted everything, from the birds and the bees, to the very hills you attempt to flee to, and now, from.' And verily, they trembled with fear, until their trembles themselves took form, and then he had to stat them as well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-28, 11:48 AM
And verily, they trembled with fear, until their trembles themselves took form, and then he had to stat them as well.
That... has potential.

*ponders*

SpekterofDavid
2010-08-28, 02:25 PM
To be honest I think Khador (I love the analogy =) ) is actualy more prepared than the US. Simply because every single house has a fence around it. Russians/ Ukrainians are simply more closed people. Hell even MY house is practicaly zombie proof with an ingenious yet simple Idea: The house is entirely councrete but looks like wood, with a concrete/ chain fence around it. There are garage door shutters that can be lowered by hand (From WITHIN the house) that cover every window. Bulletproof door with extra locks for protection. But honestly it depends on the zombie type. If its infection is spread by air then im screwed.

And even all the soviet time houses have iron bars covouring most windows. And we are a colder country so the Zombies will all freeze! Then russia/ Ukriane/ Poland will rule ze verld Mwa hwa hwa!

Ravens_cry
2010-08-28, 02:44 PM
We Canadians are much more open, eh. But we got more guns then people think, and our weather will freeze 'em solid for half the year, eh. And even IF, IF freezing and thawing don't kill 'em outright, it leaves 'em as sitting ducks for the living to take out, don't ya know.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-28, 02:58 PM
We Canadians are much more open, eh. But we got more guns then people think, and our weather will freeze 'em solid for half the year, eh. And even IF, IF freezing and thawing don't kill 'em outright, it leaves 'em as sitting ducks for the living to take out, don't ya know.

When zombies break out, I'm moving to northern Alberta.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-28, 03:19 PM
When zombies break out, I'm moving to northern Alberta.
I'm moving to Northern BC, it's almost as cold and I got family there.

Moff Chumley
2010-08-28, 07:18 PM
Electric van, modified somehow to recharge with solar power. No need to stay in one place.

Falgorn
2010-08-28, 07:26 PM
When the zombies do break out, I'm definately unprepared. I'd probably just let the zombies overtake me, but first I'd have to get a gun, and do an awesome last stand, to be filmed by my best friend, safe in the escape RV.

Wait a second - an RV isn't a bad idea. Get a group of friends, find a ton of gasoline, add spikes to the front and rear, and you're good.

Marnath
2010-08-28, 09:04 PM
The house is entirely councrete but looks like wood, with a concrete/ chain fence around it. There are garage door shutters that can be lowered by hand (From WITHIN the house) that cover every window. Bulletproof door with extra locks for protection.

Why is your house so fortified? O.o
Are bandits a big deal around there or something? Seems overkill to me.

Gullara
2010-08-29, 04:09 AM

Plus the zombies will just pile up against the walls and eventually make a ramp. The where do you get food?

I see we both have spectacular sigs:smalltongue:

SpekterofDavid
2010-08-29, 04:11 AM

Overkill? Isnt that standard in the US?

But seriously its because We have alot of winds in the area and so the windows don't break we have shutters.

But yes that a wee bit overkill.

Besides there is a simple way to make a house Zombieproof. Make it snake proof. Aka a house on stilts. The zombies just mumble their way under the building and do not even bother you.

Even the Top Windows have shutters.

But seriously though our apartment is even more Protected.

7 stories up, Bulletproof door (it looks like a safe door) With 3 floors inside including a veggie garden at the top, lots of emergency cans, soundproof windows, and a wind turbine for emergencies.

Then I wait out until the zombies rot to death.

Frozen_Predator
2010-08-29, 09:10 AM
IMHO the best way to prepare for a zombie apocalypse is to let the army deal with it. Helmets don't protect against bullets or mines, they protect the head against the shrapnell from artillery, thus contrary to what happens in WWZ artillery would tear a zombie horde apart.

and with aim-points and similar equipment becoming more and more standard in the 21st century head shots become easier as well.

i'm a pretty sub-par rifleman myself (machinegun is my speciality) but using an aim-point and front grip i score 7 headshots out of 10 rounds fired at 200 metres.

and despite what the zombie survival guide says, a machinegun is not useless against zombies, but it is useless in inexperienced hands since you really need to develop a certain sense that its an extension of your body to be able to machinegun-snipe.

for a civilian trying to survive a zombie apocalypse: if legal in your country get a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle, preferably with an aim-point attached. Hand guns are next to useless, not enough range or accuracy without a load of experience.

if firearms are illegal in your country: then try to use a sturdy shovel as a thrusting weapon or use a true axe (which has a very long handle) or even a cleaving axe though those tend to be too heavy for effective use.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-08-29, 09:25 AM
iirc, the reasons artillery failed in WWZ was they they were using HE rounds. Which is as stupid as you can get.

Frozen_Predator
2010-08-29, 09:56 AM
iirc, the reasons artillery failed in WWZ was they they were using HE rounds. Which is as stupid as you can get.

ah, its been a while since i read WWZ.

thanks for the correction

Marnath
2010-08-29, 12:56 PM
Yes, overkill is pretty standard here, but I don't know that I've ever seen a fortified house like what you describe. We mostly overkill on food, entertainment and weaponry. Seriously, if anyone ever tried to invade a major american city I bet you'd see all kinds of fun illegal firearms come into play. :smallsmile:
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that there are a number of miniguns and rocket launchers in most cities at a bare minimum.

RandomNPC
2010-08-29, 04:43 PM

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that there are a number of miniguns and rocket launchers in most cities at a bare minimum.

Haven't seen it but there's a number of people who claim the guy who runs the local gun shop keeps a one shot rocket launcher behind the counter.

SpekterofDavid
2010-08-29, 04:44 PM
Yes, overkill is pretty standard here, but I don't know that I've ever seen a fortified house like what you describe. We mostly overkill on food, entertainment and weaponry. Seriously, if anyone ever tried to invade a major american city I bet you'd see all kinds of fun illegal firearms come into play. :smallsmile:

HAAHAHAHAHHAAHA

ah ah ah

In russia evrybody carries at least 3 missile launchers around with them at all times. But seriosly Russia is even MORE weapon crazed than the US, but with worse guns. And We have ze mafia =)

Seriosly though a house on stilts is foolproof, the zombies cannot even pile up.

John Cribati
2010-08-29, 07:31 PM
God help the zombies if they go near Jamaica. We're all trained to use a machete from age 5 or so.

But in all seriousness, Jamaicans are some strong people. My 90-year-old grandmother, who is blind in one eye, can chase down and capture a chicken. Furthermore, she is fearless/reckless/insane enough to face down a giant pig (Seriously, that thing was bigger than me) who'd escaped its pen. Trust me. Zombies in Jamaica would be screwed.

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-02, 01:25 PM
God help the zombies if they go near Jamaica. We're all trained to use a machete from age 5 or so.

But in all seriousness, Jamaicans are some strong people. My 90-year-old grandmother, who is blind in one eye, can chase down and capture a chicken. Furthermore, she is fearless/reckless/insane enough to face down a giant pig (Seriously, that thing was bigger than me) who'd escaped its pen. Trust me. Zombies in Jamaica would be screwed.

Totaly, plus the heat would cause the zombies to rot faster.

TheThan
2010-09-03, 12:31 PM
Totaly, plus the heat would cause the zombies to rot faster.

then you'd have skeletons.

Anyway despite its status as a free countries, the USA does have an overabundance of gun control laws. Far more than in other nations that we don't consider "free". But yes, the irony is not lost on me. can't really say much else on the matter though, as it moves quickly into political talk.

Just remember, an armed society is a polite society.

chiasaur11
2010-09-03, 05:28 PM
Haven't seen it but there's a number of people who claim the guy who runs the local gun shop keeps a one shot rocket launcher behind the counter.

Does he also have a creepy laugh, a cockney accent, and creepy gold eyes?

If so, I think I know that guy.

Also, you have Scott Pilgrim.

Me, I'm planning to hit the local Costco. Huge, lots of supplies, and built like a fort. Plus it's got sniping spots if it's infested at first. Might even have a generator.

Force
2010-09-03, 06:04 PM

Uhm... HE rounds probably produce the most shrapnel of any shell. They're antipersonnel rounds. Did you mean HEAT rounds or something like that?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-03, 06:48 PM
airports = safe locations
-barriers designed to keep out unwanted visitors
- plenty of space
- aircraft
- access to other airports
- plenty of opportunities for weapons

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-03, 09:18 PM
Uhm... HE rounds probably produce the most shrapnel of any shell. They're antipersonnel rounds. Did you mean HEAT rounds or something like that?

Just did a touch of reading, you appear to be right. I got them confused with grenades, where HE is as opposed to Frag. Well, scratch that last. That's why I'm not in the military.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-03, 10:20 PM
Just did a touch of reading, you appear to be right. I got them confused with grenades, where HE is as opposed to Frag. Well, scratch that last. That's why I'm not in the military.

at least they didnt use nerve gas.... well they did, but not on the zeds

Marnath
2010-09-03, 10:33 PM
at least they didnt use nerve gas.... well they did, but not on the zeds

Lol... you'd have to be really stupid to try nerve gas on zombies. The only way that stuff would be useful is to beat them to death with the canisters.

TheThan
2010-09-04, 11:03 AM
OK if the zombies are truly undead, then yeah nerve gas isn’t going to do anything. OK if the zombies are truly undead, then yeah nerve gas isn’t going to do much. But if the zombies are some sort of not-quite dead undead (infected from L4D for instance) then it might work. Really depends on what your up against. but still gas is hard to use without contaminating yourself so its probably best to avoid it on the outright.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 11:29 AM
what zombies would you prefer? romero or rage?

Rowsen
2010-09-04, 11:54 AM
See ya real soon folks!
http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/21/20567/tank.jpg

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 12:08 PM
See ya real soon folks!
http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/21/20567/tank.jpg

definitely putting some mama deuces in my planned fortress now

chiasaur11
2010-09-04, 12:57 PM
what zombies would you prefer? romero or rage?

Hmm.

Slow, stumbling, and ineffective against non-morons to the point they can't break into malls on their own, or lightning fast death creatures that spew instant turning blood?

Going with Romero here.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 01:25 PM
Hmm.

Slow, stumbling, and ineffective against non-morons to the point they can't break into malls on their own, or lightning fast death creatures that spew instant turning blood?

Going with Romero here.

my thoughts exactly

Midnight Son
2010-09-04, 03:17 PM
Almost ready...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/8-12-10TheTruck.jpg
Just need to get the armor plating.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 03:36 PM
Almost ready...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/8-12-10TheTruck.jpg

gotta think about gas and sound. i'd use an SUV like an expedition/explorer/tahoe.

Erloas
2010-09-04, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but he already has the truck. Plus while it uses more gas, it also has a much larger tank so much less time between refueling, and being diesel it will actually run on a fairly large range of oils (even deep fryer oil).

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 04:16 PM
what i'm trying to say is nothing says "dinner time" better than the growling of a diesel engine

Midnight Son
2010-09-04, 05:27 PM
Thus the armor plating so they can't get in. Also, I very much doubt your SUV can get over 800 miles to the tank. Who do you think are going to be the heroes in the Zombipocalypse. Sure, at first there will be mass deaths. Large cities are done for. There's just too many people and not enough resources. It's the small to mid-size towns that'll be the survivors. They'll have time to erect city walls around the town and nearby resources. Then they'll have the truckers moving said resources from their town to another that has need of them and back with supplies from that town and so on. We're already the lifeblood of the nation. After the zombies make interstate travel near impossible, we'll be the knights in shining armor plating (or, more likely, blood splattered armor plating).

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 06:41 PM
Thus the armor plating so they can't get in. Also, I very much doubt your SUV can get over 800 miles to the tank. Who do you think are going to be the heroes in the Zombipocalypse. Sure, at first there will be mass deaths. Large cities are done for. There's just too many people and not enough resources. It's the small to mid-size towns that'll be the survivors. They'll have time to erect city walls around the town and nearby resources. Then they'll have the truckers moving said resources from their town to another that has need of them and back with supplies from that town and so on. We're already the lifeblood of the nation. After the zombies make interstate travel near impossible, we'll be the knights in shining armor plating (or, more likely, blood splattered armor plating).

eh, i have jerry cans. all i need to do is get to my local airport

Midnight Son
2010-09-04, 07:30 PM
eh, i have jerry cans. all i need to do is get to my local airportNevermind finding a location to which to fly, how are you gonna survive the rush. Guarantee that's where half the local citizens decide to rush to, cause that's how most people travel. Zombies are gonna be feasting on those trying to make the air.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 07:50 PM
Nevermind finding a location to which to fly, how are you gonna survive the rush. Guarantee that's where half the local citizens decide to rush to, cause that's how most people travel. Zombies are gonna be feasting on those trying to make the air.

you misunderstand me, i practically LIVE at the airport. i go to school there, the schools behind 10 foot tall razor wire fences we have several aircraft in our hangar and a helicopter. as for locations, i know a place in the rockies, very isolated, very cold. i could fly there and ride it out

Mathis
2010-09-04, 09:20 PM
you misunderstand me, i practically LIVE at the airport. i go to school there, the schools behind 10 foot tall razor wire fences we have several aircraft in our hangar and a helicopter. as for locations, i know a place in the rockies, very isolated, very cold. i could fly there and ride it out

Tell me, how is a ten foot high fence going to hold out a massive horde of zombies tearing and beating at it? Sure, they won't be able to climb the thing, but since when did zombies climb anything, ever. "But they'd be trapped in the wire once they fell the fence", you might think. Yes, is the answer to that. They'd be trapped in it for about as long as it takes for a few zombies to pile ontop of the razorsharp wire and create a handy brigde for the ones coming behind them.

Ofcourse, the fence might hinder the zombies and give you the time you need to convince your ragtag team of survivors who handidly had a capable pilot who has finished pilot-school in it to fly off to... where exactly? Ah yes, the rockies. How is the food-supply at this hiding place you have prepared?

No, plan further ahead is my advice. Call your friends, keep a plan memorized and arrange several spots on which you can all meet up at a later point. Being able to stay on the move with friends are in my book more important to your survival than knowing where your weapons are. After the initial rush of death in the Zombipocalypse, weapons will be plenty and easy to come by in all forms. By weapons here I mean blunt objects.

Also, full stops and capitol letters are your friends. Love them like you love yourself.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-04, 09:41 PM
Well the fence and the concrete barriers that all airports have to keep out malicious intruders and the cars in the school's lot should hold them back and give me and what survivors I deem necessary to come with time to hijack a fuel truck, fuel up the helicopter, and get out and get to the mountains. This raises the question of fuel. well I am an aircraft mechanic in training and the school does have buddy tanks, I can make something work.

Rowsen
2010-09-04, 11:57 PM
Almost ready...
*kasnip*

What if a mob of zombies ram into it and knock it over? Then you're in trouble :smalleek:

Creed
2010-09-05, 12:08 AM
Also, a problem with trucks, SUV's, etc., is that what if a road is clogged by cars, which may hold infected?
Then, my friends, you are effed. Eventually you will get stuck. You cannot plow through a traffic jam in a semi, at least not all the way, without some ill effects.
Personally, I think that moving out towards the country from my general suburban area, while holeing up at night, all the while moving to a certain town in Ohio where there are about 300 individuals who very much believe zombie apocalypse is coming. I figure I can link up with them...
Me and my Glock, we will just have to rock.
And my katana.:smallbiggrin:
Well, at the least, gamers I believe will be better prepared then, say, some others. We can at least cope.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2010-09-05, 11:41 AM
I still say bikes are the best way to go, hopefully something with some off road capabilities and a patch kit. No, it's not as macho as plowing through a hoard of Romero's in a semi, but I a) don't need gas, b) I am pretty quiet, c) I am still faster then any Romero d) I have little chance of being mistaken for a zombie, as a Romero who can barely walk can't ride a bike, e) I am less likely to have it 'jacked by some desperate soul. And f) I don't need no effin' gas, diesel or any fuel but food and drink.
Sure, it might seem fun to be this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer) on a Zombie smooshin' rampage. But eventually, your going to run out of fuel and you just got a big 60 tonne paper weight.

Midnight Son
2010-09-05, 04:35 PM
You ever seen the after effect of a car hit by a semi? Trust me, I can get this thing through just about any jam; especially if I get the armor plating fitted. The hope, of course, is that I'll be in my usual spot (the middle of nowhere), and not NYC when the zombies attack. As for tipping it over, How many zombies are we talking to manage to tip an 40 ton death machine. Once I get it moving, the only thing that'll stop it is loose soil or being hit by a train. I don't care how many zombies you send at it, once it's moving all you'll have at the end is large amounts of zombie snausages.

Fuel will be easy enough for the first few months. Should be able to get some at most stations. Then the surviving towns will set up a network. I trust that TX will have more than it's fair share of surviving towns. Aside from that, I'm sure there'll be a few roving fuel trucks out there. They have the same chances I do, after all.

Mathis
2010-09-05, 04:56 PM
I share your optimistic views on truck-drivers in the zombiepocalypse Midnight Son. However, zombies is not the only obstacle you're going to face. Raiders will be just as, if not more dangerous and will have traps of a hundred different kinds set up for you. And I have a feeling that a lone truck, especially fuel trucks will be prized targets for them. How will you deal with those?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 05:17 PM
Yeah, you're driving down the road and hit a spike strip. now your truck is crippled, and you're surrounded by thieves. You're also probable hurt bad from the wreck. What do you think your chances would be?

Midnight Son
2010-09-05, 05:57 PM
Crippled truck is just as useless to raiders.

Blown tires do not mean crash. You can control the truck still.

I would not be alone. I'd definitely pick up some friends and ride in a convoy. Also, along with the armor plating, I'd have to mount some kind of weapon. Something I'm sure I could get done shortly after the apocalypse starts, before the raiders get active.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 06:10 PM
hey, to each his own i guess.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-05, 11:34 PM
Crippled truck is just as useless to raiders.

Blown tires do not mean crash. You can control the truck still.

I would not be alone. I'd definitely pick up some friends and ride in a convoy. Also, along with the armor plating, I'd have to mount some kind of weapon. Something I'm sure I could get done shortly after the apocalypse starts, before the raiders get active.
Wrong, it has gas. Which will be very, very valuable to any raiders.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 11:57 PM
Wrong, it has gas. Which will be very, very valuable to any raiders.

not to mention food, medical supplies, whatever is in the trailer, guns/ammo

Marnath
2010-09-06, 12:23 AM
not to mention food, medical supplies, whatever is in the trailer, guns/ammo

Yeah, this. Just because the truck would have problems wouldn't stop them from doing it to get your supplies, even if they needed the truck to get to safety. Never underestimate the shortsightedness humans can possess.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 12:26 AM
hence the 10 foot razor wire fences and concrete barriers. not to mention the military grade weapons that seem to be everywhere during a zombie apocalypse

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 12:32 AM
hence the 10 foot razor wire fences and concrete barriers. not to mention the military grade weapons that seem to be everywhere during a zombie apocalypse
Which brings us back to the question of why the military, which already possesses such things to keep out much smarter human invaders doesn't nip the problem, if not in the bud, at least before it becomes end-of-humanity scale.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 12:39 AM
Which brings us back to the question of why the military, which already possesses such things to keep out much smarter human invaders doesn't nip the problem, if not in the bud, at least before it becomes end-of-humanity scale.

it will happen just like it did in 'nam. too many enemy to kill. not to mention the average soldier instinctively goes for centre body mass(which is useless on a zed) and once the soldiers start to turn do you think they will be willing to kill their friends?

Marnath
2010-09-06, 01:01 AM
it will happen just like it did in 'nam. too many enemy to kill. not to mention the average soldier instinctively goes for centre body mass(which is useless on a zed) and once the soldiers start to turn do you think they will be willing to kill their friends?

You don't honestly think there could be any soldiers who haven't heard you need to headshot a zombie do you? :smallbiggrin:
It's a very prevelant thing in pop culture. Also....soldiers have tanks. I don't care how tough being undead makes you, a direct hit from a tank shell turns you into chunky salsa.

chiasaur11
2010-09-06, 01:15 AM
Hey, don't look at me.

I get my estimates for military performance from Shawn of the Dead.

IE, efficient and thorough Zed killing.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-06, 07:15 AM
Also....soldiers have tanks. I don't care how tough being undead makes you, a direct hit from a tank shell turns you into chunky salsa.

Tanks? Why would you SHOOT a tank? VRRROOOOOOMM!!!!

Marnath
2010-09-06, 10:39 AM
Tanks? Why would you SHOOT a tank? VRRROOOOOOMM!!!!

What kind of question is that? O.o
Who WOULDN'T shoot a tank if they got the opportunity to?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 11:20 AM
Um, no. The military has other tools at its disposal besides infantry. A large hoard of zombies is just a big fat target to any bomber or artillery. Also, as mentioned, tanks, or any armoured vehicle would protect you from them getting at you, allowing you to take your time.
And zeds generally start to rot after awhile, at least enough to remove most potential for 'hey, that's my buddy!'.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 11:24 AM
Um, no. The military has other tools at its disposal besides infantry. A large hoard of zombies is just a big fat target to any bomber or artillery. Also, as mentioned, tanks, or any armoured vehicle would protect you from them getting at you, allowing you to take your time.
And zeds generally start to rot after awhile, at least enough to remove most potential for 'hey, that's my buddy!'.

two words, collateral damage.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 11:51 AM

In the face of a literally end of the world scenario where zombies kill everyone, it doesn't matter how much collateral damage there is.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 11:54 AM
and what if (god forbid) they aren't living dead? what if they are like the zeds in 28 days/weeks later or left 4 dead? that takes care of the rotting and window for artillery.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 11:57 AM
and what if (god forbid) they aren't living dead? what if they are like the zeds in 28 days/weeks later or left 4 dead? that takes care of the rotting and window for artillery.

I'm not seeing how being alive stops the army from using artillery? O.o

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 12:03 PM
I'm not seeing how being alive stops the army from using artillery? O.o

it's not the alive part its the fact that they are running death machines, they'll reach the front lines before they can call in a strike.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 12:29 PM
it's not the alive part its the fact that they are running death machines, they'll reach the front lines before they can call in a strike.

Remember what machine guns did in world war one to massed charges?
Yeah.
It would take a bit more hits but if the mechanical bits, the joints and limbs, are put out of commission, no zed is going anywhere.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 12:55 PM
Remember what machine guns did in world war one to massed charges?
Yeah.
It would take a bit more hits but if the mechanical bits, the joints and limbs, are put out of commission, no zed is going anywhere.

and what of countries whose armies aren't as.... effective as ours?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 01:07 PM
and what of countries whose armies aren't as.... effective as ours?
I think pretty much every nations that has some form of military has access to machine guns.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 01:13 PM
I think pretty much every nations that has some form of military has access to machine guns.

and what of their psyche? how would you react if you saw a person charge and eviscerate your buddy next to you?

Marnath
2010-09-06, 01:19 PM
and what of their psyche? how would you react if you saw a person charge and eviscerate your buddy next to you?

I'd shoot them. Seriously dude, it's not that hard to take a life. Especially a diseased freak that just killed your friend.

Pyrian
2010-09-06, 01:22 PM
There's a few Darwin Award winners whose last words were something along the lines of "you're too chicken to pull the trigger". :smallcool:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 01:23 PM
again, assuming you were a soldier you would aim for the chest and you would be dead before you reloaded

Pyrian
2010-09-06, 01:32 PM
*blink* You need to make up your mind which zombies you're talking about. "Living" zombies aren't doing anything after a burst to the chest. Even truly undead ones are going to be having problems if their spinal column and collarbone are shattered.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 01:38 PM
*blink* You need to make up your mind which zombies you're talking about. "Living" zombies aren't doing anything after a burst to the chest. Even truly undead ones are going to be having problems if their spinal column and collarbone are shattered.

oops. messed up

VanBuren
2010-09-06, 01:42 PM
Hmm.

Going with Romero here.

It helps that in Romero, the real threat comes not from the zombies, but from living people screwing each other over.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 01:44 PM
It helps that in Romero, the real threat comes not from the zombies, but from living people screwing each other over.

no threat until they evolve like in land of the dead

Marnath
2010-09-06, 01:46 PM

Pwned. :smallcool: Also, I maintain that zombies wouldn't get anywhere near soldiers anyway, live or undead. The amount of firepower those people have is just incredible. Eventually the 50 cal. cuts you in half if you're still up. Which you're not, because it turned your spine to paste.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 01:46 PM
I agree. I much more fear the looters and raiders then some slow, stupid, disorganized mobs that just SCREAM target of opportunity to my desktop general side. Keeping social order is very important in these kinds of situations.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 02:10 PM
Pwned. :smallcool: Also, I maintain that zombies wouldn't get anywhere near soldiers anyway, live or undead. The amount of firepower those people have is just incredible. Eventually the 50 cal. cuts you in half if you're still up. Which you're not, because it turned your spine to paste.

ok when it comes to that, the army has the upper hand. b ut what about the areas the army deems unimportant?

chiasaur11
2010-09-06, 05:14 PM
ok when it comes to that, the army has the upper hand. b ut what about the areas the army deems unimportant?

Won't take too long to secure the critical areas, even if it it doesn't end like that one XKCD.

And then it's the ending to Shawn of the Dead all over again.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 05:16 PM
Won't take too long to secure the critical areas, even if it it doesn't end like that one XKCD.

And then it's the ending to Shawn of the Dead all over again.

we keep them for reality tv?

i hope it doesnt play out like left4dead....

littlekKID
2010-09-07, 10:55 AM
Zombie Ants?
now all we need to do is to get something radioactive near them-and we got a new B-movie!!

MountainKing
2010-09-07, 02:49 PM

Of particular interest to me is what the zombie hordes are going to do when the Army re-starts the weapon testing they were doing with what amounts to "microwave cannons". Dead zombies? Instant dessication. Alive zombies? Instant heat death.

I love the smell of microwaved zombies in the morning. *sniff sniff* Smells like... victory. :smallamused:

...what? ...you're saying, that the men and women who are trained to kill people, bare minimum out of self defense... won't be able... to kill people? :smallconfused:

Amen to that; the military doesn't even have to do it with pilots. Remote bombers ftw!

Two words: so what? It's the zombie apocalypse man! Blow it all up, ya maniac! :smalltongue:

Well, here's how I look at it. At least from an American perspective. Post WWII, the Soviet army was the largest (and hasn't been outnumbered, I believe) ever, at 10 million personnel. The Allies were crapping their pants before the war was even over. In 2004, there were over 14 million licensed hunters in the United States.

Assuming each one owned one (1) firearm (many own more than one, and some take it to personal extremes, owning miniature arsenals), and enough ammunition to kill ten people, that's over 140 million dead people. A third of the population of the US, wiped out by less than a tenth.

And this is without even considering military/police/security personnel who also have access to weaponry (more destructive, more powerful weaponry) and armored assault vehicles designed for going into battle with OTHER armored assault vehicles.

...now, tell me the zombies are driving tanks. THAT would be hilarious.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-07, 04:47 PM
behold... Die Walküre

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/CynicalAvocado/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo413.jpg?t=1283895754

take the back doors off, weld gun mounts, stow some oxy-acetylene tanks and a cutting torch, some medical supplies.

that buddy tank in the background (behind the skids) can be attached to the helo's frame, or turn it into a fuel bomb for repelling an attack en masse

Ravens_cry
2010-09-07, 10:16 PM
Now for my favourite toy, the ultimate in ground attack and been able to keep on keeping on, even when severally damaged, nicknamed named after the orneriast son of a bitch of the savannah besides us, the A-10 Thunderbolt II 'Warthog'
Not so much an aircraft with a Gatling gun attached as a Gatling gun with an aircraft attached, it doesn't matter if you need a head shot to die if your body looks like meat salsa, not to mention all the bombs and other wing mounted weapons.
Spoilered for Awesome.
http://www.automation-drive.com/EX/05-14-19/a10warthog2pu9.jpg

Zombie hoards can suck it.
For smaller groups, even the hardiest would be hard pressed to stand up to a "Huey's" minigun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxxX78tn8c)
Like shooting very ugly fish in a very small barrel.

MountainKing
2010-09-08, 11:31 AM
*quoted for awesome*

That is the single greatest airborne weapons platform of all time. The day they retired it, I wept.

chiasaur11
2010-09-08, 01:06 PM
That is the single greatest airborne weapons platform of all time. The day they retired it, I wept.

Which makes it good they're still in service as far as I can tell.

Ugly, crude, and slow, but there's nothing better at the jobs it does.

max-is-working
2010-09-08, 01:26 PM
Now for my favourite toy, the ultimate in ground attack and been able to keep on keeping on, even when severally damaged, nicknamed named after the orneriast son of a bitch of the savannah besides us, the A-10 Thunderbolt II 'Warthog'
Not so much an aircraft with a Gatling gun attached as a Gatling gun with an aircraft attached, it doesn't matter if you need a head shot to die if your body looks like meat salsa, not to mention all the bombs and other wing mounted weapons.
Zombie hoards can suck it.
For smaller groups, even the hardiest would be hard pressed to stand up to a "Huey's" minigun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxxX78tn8c)
Like shooting very ugly fish in a very small barrel.

That Warthog is pretty. Though I also like the Lockheed AC-130. :-)

But as for completely eradicating zombies, wouldn't we need lots and lots of ground crew?

pendell
2010-09-08, 03:57 PM
Which makes it good they're still in service as far as I can tell.

Ugly, crude, and slow, but there's nothing better at the jobs it does.

I second max-is-working. For killing tanks, bring an A-10. But for killing swarms of fleshy things without air defense, give me the machine that can orbit for hours and carries multiple gatling guns plus the ammo to feed them. Give me the AC-130 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbP89YAVblg&feature=related).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-08, 04:11 PM

you are not alone. i wept bitter tears that day

(edit)
my back up plan:smalltongue:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/501506277_f94a2440c5.jpg

max-is-working
2010-09-09, 03:20 AM
my back up plan:smalltongue:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/501506277_f94a2440c5.jpg

Lovely idea. That's from Shaun of the Dead, isn't it?

And here I was thinking of hiding in a mall.

=====

EDIT: Reply @CynicalAvocado below:
Yeah. Malls aren't very defensible. I wish I owned a castle (my current favorite is Hrad Karlštejn).

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 06:41 AM
Lovely idea. That's from Shaun of the Dead, isn't it?

And here I was thinking of hiding in a mall.

yes it is:smallsmile:

i dont like malls.... too much glass

Ravens_cry
2010-09-09, 03:39 PM
yes it is:smallsmile:

i dont like malls.... too much glass
Personally, I would go for one of those concrete fortresses they call a hypermarket. There is some glass, but it's relatively doable to barricade,the large parking lots would provide excellent visibility, and there is megatons of supplies.

The_JJ
2010-09-09, 04:35 PM
Personally, I would go for one of those concrete fortresses they call a hypermarket. There is some glass, but it's relatively doable to barricade,the large parking lots would provide excellent visibility, and there is megatons of supplies.

The problem will be that other people will flock there as well, and other people are problems. Even the unprepared can might make it in such a mall, and so they will try.

The real trick is to find a niche that maximizes survivability while minimizing your contact with other 'vectors.'

This is not to say that one should treat humans as a hindrance, or an enemy. They are not, they are in fact your friends.

However, crowds particularly unmanageable one are your enemy, if not now, if not directly, then they will be once the Zeds catch up to them.

My suggestion: ditch the urban areas. Head for the hills. Zombies need human vectors and in order to 'go viral' they need some really nasty concentrations. Leave mass concentrations behind, stay ready for wanderers, and let the big guns sort it out. Should they fail, you're well positioned to set up a remote redoubt for the slow retaking operation they will ensure the continuity of humanity. Just make sure you get enough genetic diversity.

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 04:56 PM
This is not to say that one should treat humans as a hindrance, or an enemy. They are not, they are in fact your friends.

So much this.

If there's anything zombie movies teach us, it's that there's a fine line between being cautious and being callous. The former is good, and the latter is not.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:13 PM

that's why i have a cutting torch in the helo
land on top of supermarket
cut hole in ceiling
enter building through attic
kill all zombehs
take non perishable ramen noodles
???
PROFIT!!!

Marnath
2010-09-09, 08:15 PM
that's why i have a cutting torch in the helo
land on top of supermarket
cut hole in ceiling
enter building through attic
kill all zombehs
take non perishable ramen noodles
???
PROFIT!!!

I seriously doubt your copter holds enough Ramen to turn a profit compared to the fuel you burned. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:21 PM
I seriously doubt your copter holds enough Ramen to turn a profit compared to the fuel you burned. :smallbiggrin:

my base is an airport.... as in huge reserves of petrol :smalltongue:

Worira
2010-09-09, 10:42 PM
Might I suggest selling that instead?

chiasaur11
2010-09-09, 10:47 PM

Agreed.

One nearby has huge, solid shutters, maybe a generator, tons of gas.

Bliss.

MountainKing
2010-09-10, 10:59 AM
The real trick is to find a niche that maximizes survivability while minimizing your contact with other 'vectors.'

I am so holing up in a 7-Eleven for the zombie apocalypse. You've got one glass storefront to barricade, and probably a good month or two of food if you're alone.

Plus, slurpees.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-10, 12:59 PM
you wanna hear something crazy?

since my airport has a school, there is a hangar fool of reciprocating(propeller driven) engines mounted on wheeled platforms. these engines are fully functional too.... can anyone say "self propelled death machine?"

Ravens_cry
2010-09-10, 05:27 PM
you wanna hear something crazy?

since my airport has a school, there is a hangar fool of reciprocating(propeller driven) engines mounted on wheeled platforms. these engines are fully functional too.... can anyone say "self propelled death machine?"
Can you say "shattered, practically irreplaceable (if this SOMEHOW has become a civilisation ending event) propellers" ?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-10, 11:33 PM
Can you say "shattered, practically irreplaceable (if this SOMEHOW has become a civilisation ending event) propellers" ?

the props are unairworthy anyway. they're so unbalanced that if you try to fly with them (and this has happened) it will wobble, break off, and go through the fuselage and kill someone

also we have 5 turbo jet engines including one of these bad boys

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0710/JFCS/Pratt-and-Whitney-JT8D-jet-.jpg

hide that under some wreckage, remote start it when they get too close it'll throw you at least 150 feet away at high speeds.... if you're lucky enough to not get incinerated

Ravens_cry
2010-09-10, 11:44 PM
the props are unairworthy anyway. they're so unbalanced that if you try to fly with them (and this has happened) it will wobble, break off, and go through the fuselage and kill someone
And why wouldn't that happen when your using them as zed-mower blades, even if they withstood been used as such?
Just give me a "Huey" and minigun and it'll be over by Christmas!

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-10, 11:46 PM
And why wouldn't that happen when your using them as zed-mower blades, even if they withstood been used as such?
Just give me a "Huey" and minigun and it'll be over by Christmas!

i hope you would have enough ammo....

Ravens_cry
2010-09-10, 11:49 PM
i hope you would have enough ammo....
More'n you got prop blades, most like.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-10, 11:53 PM
More'n you got prop blades, most like.

we have 17 spare.

as for the jet, we have tons of fuel, have you seen a jet engine engage? it's quite a sight/sound especially when the MOASP fires off and ignites the fuel

Coidzor
2010-09-11, 07:35 AM
What do Romero zombies do when they're knocked onto their back by small arms fire or being shoved with something from a distance anyway?

MountainKing
2010-09-11, 08:25 AM
What do Romero zombies do when they're knocked onto their back by small arms fire or being shoved with something from a distance anyway?

I... dunno... Bounce?

Also, that's a terrible waste of propellers; you're clearly not a madboy if all you can think to do with 'em is "put 'em on wheels!". This is the zombie apocalypse; do some mad science! Make flying machines! :smallbiggrin:

Who needs a Huey with a minigun when you could have a squadron of DEFFKOPTAS? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-11, 11:59 AM

imagine a turtle, or a beetle on its back

chiasaur11
2010-09-11, 02:11 PM
imagine a turtle, or a beetle on its back

Or Bender Bending Rodriguez.

On that note, the militaries of earth are working on murderbots.

Zombies are absolutely useless against murderbots.

Robot Roll Call, punk.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-11, 02:17 PM

Robot Roll Call, punk.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/06/maars_01.jpg

Frozen_Predator
2010-09-11, 04:28 PM
good to see that so many people have faith in the sheer destructive force the armies of earth can put forth.

so yes, a Zombie apocalypse stands very little chance.

and to people saying soldiers are trained to shoot the chest, thats true.

whats also true is that one favorite subject among soldiers is:
Discussing tactics in the event of Zombies.

done it a lot of times myself, its a good way to spend the time while your waiting for orders, or when your sitting in Afghanistan waiting for darkness to fall so you can finally go to your sleeping bag.

i have to say btw i like both Midnightson's armoured truck plan and CynicalAvocado's fortified flying school plan, they seem workable as long as people don't transform into paranoid idiots. teamwork is vital in any plan.

again, assuming you were a soldier you would aim for the chest and you would be dead before you reloaded

just one nitpick about this: the average assault rifle holds 30 rounds per magazine, and the full auto function is rarely used. The urge to go Rambo is the first thing drilled out of a recruits head. in fact once experience sets in you can achieve a high firing rate with single shot at high acuracy.
and once the Zombies get close it's time to place bajonets.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-11, 04:34 PM
\
i have to say btw i like both Midnightson's armoured truck plan and CynicalAvocado's fortified flying school plan, they seem workable as long as people don't transform into paranoid idiots. teamwork is vital in any plan.

oh i plan to run a tight ship.

also.... bayonets

Froogleyboy
2010-09-11, 04:51 PM

Robot Roll Call, punk.

No! You can't use robots against zombies, then you have two problems

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-11, 04:54 PM

robot one: well, we killed all the zombies, now what
robot two: zombies are humans, are they not?
R1: you are correct
R2: therefore human's are zombies
R1 affirmative
R2 & R1: destroy all humans
humans: FML

Coidzor
2010-09-11, 05:24 PM
I... dunno... Bounce?

So because they're slow and not balanced well and don't defend or try to deflect polearms, what's something that can capitalize on this? Some sort of pole with a broad shape on the end that could push... Maybe something along the lines of a reinforced version of one of those large umbrella things that you can use as a wedge/ramming wall in Dead Rising?

What variety of ranged weapons would cause zombies to be knocked off balance or fall from the force rather than just have a hole put into them?

Since they're not cogent enough to pick themselves up... will they roll onto their side to crawl if their attention isn't rotated nearly 180 degrees?

Are they flexible enough to sit up by sheer force of exertion to try to go forward while on their back?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-11, 05:35 PM
So because they're slow and not balanced well and don't defend or try to deflect polearms, what's something that can capitalize on this? Some sort of pole with a broad shape on the end that could push... Maybe something along the lines of a reinforced version of one of those large umbrella things that you can use as a wedge/ramming wall in Dead Rising?

What variety of ranged weapons would cause zombies to be knocked off balance or fall from the force rather than just have a hole put into them?

Since they're not cogent enough to pick themselves up... will they roll onto their side to crawl if their attention isn't rotated nearly 180 degrees?

Are they flexible enough to sit up by sheer force of exertion to try to go forward while on their back?

http://media.katu.com/images/091123_beanbag_gun.jpg

or my favourite

http://www.tshirtgun.com/images/deuce_big.gif

Shyftir
2010-09-11, 05:58 PM
Very simple plan, I have a friend who is a police officer, they have a lot of guns. I grab my families rather impressive backlog of canned foods, my dad's shotgun, and a few nice blunt-force trauma type weapons. I take these things to my friends house and we load up and head for my Grampa's (RIP) farm in Missouri. We hold out until the various world militaries wreck havoc on the zombies who brought fists and teeth to a gun fight.

In short, melee can't have nice things, and zombies are melee.

VanBuren
2010-09-11, 06:32 PM

Easy solution: go all Assassin's Creed 2 on the robots and design them so that they need a constant connection with a remote server in order for the AI to run, then pull the plug if they rebel.

max-is-working
2010-09-14, 05:26 AM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/06/maars_01.jpg
My, that's pretty!

I see what you need. You need an army of Mary Poppins nannies with zombie-deflecting umbrellas, and each flying nanny is accompanied by two chimney sweeps with those long poles.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-14, 12:57 PM
If we are going back to basics, I have two words for you.
"Boar spear". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_spear)
A wall of bear spear users with another rank behind them to take out the the head. Maybe military flails. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_%28weapon%29)

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-15, 04:28 PM
can't forget the essentials

http://www.undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mercedes-g-wagon-lapv-xl.jpg
(not technically "essential" as you can hoof it, but look at it :smallsmile:

http://undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pocket_grappling_hook1.jpg
to get onto the roof of an inaccessible building for sleeping

http://undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lifesaver_water_bottle-300x300.jpg

http://undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gerber_kick_axe.jpg

http://undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/eton_radio1.jpg

http://www.undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tactical-canned-bacon.jpg

http://www.undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tac-15.jpgthis would be great until you run out of ammo

and of course...
http://undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/zombie_survival_guide-300x300.jpg

-edit
http://www.undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/survivalkit.jpg

Marnath
2010-09-15, 10:36 PM
What's the gun shaped thing?

chiasaur11
2010-09-15, 11:38 PM

An axe, oddly enough.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-16, 06:40 AM

Gerber kick axe

Marnath
2010-09-16, 12:42 PM
Bah, that flimsy thing is an axe? This (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/119914_lg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325117_200325117&usg=__XPuFSDo_BqHofziWJDjkiM0Y3-8=&h=400&w=400&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&sig2=TxZb7d41qf3JB6SMhRzbKA&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=0l20XMwjq8MA4M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsplitting%2Bmaul%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2% 26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=s1aSTMjuDcaInQea5tiaBw) is a real axe. You might actually kill a zombie with this one.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-16, 01:38 PM
Bah, that flimsy thing is an axe? This (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/119914_lg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325117_200325117&usg=__XPuFSDo_BqHofziWJDjkiM0Y3-8=&h=400&w=400&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&sig2=TxZb7d41qf3JB6SMhRzbKA&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=0l20XMwjq8MA4M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsplitting%2Bmaul%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2% 26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=s1aSTMjuDcaInQea5tiaBw) is a real axe. You might actually kill a zombie with this one.
You might, but I would prefer this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_axe)

Marnath
2010-09-16, 01:40 PM
You might, but I would prefer this. *link snip*

The difference being that mine is actually useful as a tool as well, and you might actually find one lying around in a store.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-16, 01:49 PM
The difference being that mine is actually useful as a tool as well, and you might actually find one lying around in a store.
I wouldn't say I wouldn't take one, but if I could, I would prefer an actual tool of war, made to make meat hit dirt.

Marnath
2010-09-16, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't say I wouldn't take one, but if I could, I would prefer an actual tool of war, made to make meat hit dirt.

So we both agree that little fold-up one is worthless? :smallwink:

Worira
2010-09-16, 01:53 PM

Technically, it's a maul.

Marnath
2010-09-16, 01:56 PM
Technically, it's a maul.

I know. I tried finding an axe like the kind I kill woodchucks with but all google showed me was bodyspray ads and fantasy battle axes. :smallfrown:

Ravens_cry
2010-09-16, 01:56 PM
So we both agree that little fold-up one is worthless? :smallwink:
I would rather have it then my fists alone.

Marnath
2010-09-16, 02:31 PM
I changed my mind, I want this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c) Ignoring the way the guy talks, I want this with a whole pile of the grenade rounds they mention at the end. 32 rounds of that in a magazine would do a lot of damage. I also want an m79. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-16, 04:02 PM
http://www.undeadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hoytmatrixcarbon.jpg
high-tech, hollow carbon tube riser featuring O-Tech™ Technology. Strategically crafted to yield new standards of lightweight design, vibration reduction, shootability and precision, every innovative inch of this engineering marvel is amazingly strong and stable. And at just 3.8 lbs, this lightweight, high-precision bow will go anywhere your hunt for undead hordes takes you.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-16, 07:11 PM
Would an arrow stop a zombie though? Bullets can do some pretty intense damage under the surface beyond the entry wound, which could scramble up the brains pretty good. HUMANS have survived some pretty crazy things going into their head (http://www.x-rayschools.net/blog/amazing-and-disturbing-x-ray-images), what about a zombie?

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 01:23 AM
I changed my mind, I want this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c) Ignoring the way the guy talks, I want this with a whole pile of the grenade rounds they mention at the end. 32 rounds of that in a magazine would do a lot of damage. I also want an m79. :smallbiggrin:

Oh yeah.

Ignoring X-Com and EDF prototypes, that'd be the gun I'd want most.

Of course, any gun from EDF 2017 would be my pick if they were available. Unlimited ammunition, rapid fire and reloading, and enough power to knock cars around? Where do I sign up?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-17, 09:14 PM
Would an arrow stop a zombie though? Bullets can do some pretty intense damage under the surface beyond the entry wound, which could scramble up the brains pretty good. HUMANS have survived some pretty crazy things going into their head (http://www.x-rayschools.net/blog/amazing-and-disturbing-x-ray-images), what about a zombie?

a well aimed shot could kill or paralyse, give it enough fps and you could nail it to a wall...

Erloas
2010-09-17, 09:29 PM
a well aimed shot could kill or paralyse, give it enough fps and you could nail it to a wall...

Only if it is close to a wall, otherwise the arrow just passes through them. And for a zombie it would be a minor inconvenience to pull the arrow the rest of the way through the body.

In general a single round from a bow and from a gun would be similarly lethal to a zombie (or regular human) if placed in the same location, its just easier and faster to most guns compared to a bow. That is at least assuming you have hunting level bow, in the 50-70+ lb range with tips designed to penetrate. And yes, there are tips that aren't designed to penetrate much, like some of the specialty bird hunting tips and most target tips aren't nearly as sharp because if your arrows are sinking really deep into the target every time you are much more likely to break them.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-17, 09:36 PM
Only if it is close to a wall, otherwise the arrow just passes through them. And for a zombie it would be a minor inconvenience to pull the arrow the rest of the way through the body.

In general a single round from a bow and from a gun would be similarly lethal to a zombie (or regular human) if placed in the same location, its just easier and faster to most guns compared to a bow. That is at least assuming you have hunting level bow, in the 50-70+ lb range with tips designed to penetrate.
i live in the country, of course i have a hunting bow

And yes, there are tips that aren't designed to penetrate much, like some of the specialty bird hunting tips and most target tips aren't nearly as sharp because if your arrows are sinking really deep into the target every time you are much more likely to break them.

http://www.hunter- ed.com/images/drawings/arrow_parts_arrowheads.jpg

also i can make my own arrows, it really isn't that hard

Ravens_cry
2010-09-17, 09:59 PM
Well, better to use a weapon that may possibly be less effective that you are very familiar with that you can make your own ammo for then one you aren't and can't. Also, EVERYONE is going to be going after guns and bullets, and they are pretty high tech devices. Even access to saltpetre, sulphur, and lead will be limited after a while if all goes it hell, let alone percussion cap cartridges.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-17, 10:03 PM
Well, better to use a weapon that may possibly be less effective that you are very familiar with that you can make your own ammo for then one you aren't and can't. Also, EVERYONE is going to be going after guns and bullets, and they are pretty high tech devices. Even access to saltpetre, sulphur, and lead will be limited after a while if all goes it hell, let alone percussion cap cartridges.
bow&arrow pros and cons
+ you can make more arrows you cant (readily) make contemporary bullets
+ silent
+ effective if you know how to use it
+ light

- big
-more piercing power needs more strength
- fatigue

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-18, 12:04 AM
i think i am ready for the zombie Apocalypse but only if they attack when i am at school. i have a friend who knows EVERYTHING about explosives, another who can hot-wire cars, i am a good shot with every gun i have ever handled and am within 5 minutes (driving) of 4 gunshops and a fortified mall with a bunker under it that can survive a nuclear blast and is stocked with TONS of food and supplies

at home i dont have my friends so i would be ripped apart after running out of bullets for my rifle

Marnath
2010-09-18, 10:09 AM
http://www.hunter- ed.com/images/drawings/arrow_parts_arrowheads.jpg

This list is missing broadhead arrows. Why is this list missing broadhead arrows? O.o

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-18, 11:04 AM
This list is missing broadhead arrows. Why is this list missing broadhead arrows? O.o

oops, sorry. here you go

http://skinnymoose.com/outdoorsmorgasbord/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/slick-trick-broadhead.jpg

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-20, 01:21 PM
Well I hope the invasion can wait 6 years so I can buy a LAZER GUN! HELL YESS! THE FUTURE IN NOW!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-21, 01:42 AM
i hope the invasion hits in the next few years so i wont have to come up with a new survival plan

pendell
2010-09-21, 08:54 AM
Well I hope the invasion can wait 6 years so I can buy a LAZER GUN! HELL YESS! THE FUTURE IN NOW!

Lasers are pretty weak -- and even when they are powerful enough to kill, they tend to not be as efficient at it as a projectile weapon is.

The best use for lasers against zombies, I suspect, is as pointers in powerpoint presentations. Even for zombies, powerpoint is brain death.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MountainKing
2010-09-21, 10:06 AM
I hope the zombie apocalypse waits until after I've finished my man-portable Tesla Coil. :smallfrown:

I mean, ideally, I'd build the gun from Painkiller that shoots shurikens and lightning, but... at least a tesla coil is realistic. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2010-09-21, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure what a jolt of juice would do to an undead abomination though.

Coidzor
2010-09-21, 01:00 PM
It depends upon da rules, I guess. Enough electricity of course, and you incinerate the heads off of the buggers, and knock the surrounding ones down and around from the concussive blast.

TheThan
2010-09-22, 03:09 PM
I hope the zombie apocalypse waits until after I've finished my man-portable Tesla Coil. :smallfrown:

I mean, ideally, I'd build the gun from Painkiller that shoots shurikens and lightning, but... at least a tesla coil is realistic. :smallbiggrin:

you need a powered suit to mount your telsa coil death rays on.

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-23, 12:58 PM
Lasers are pretty weak -- and even when they are powerful enough to kill, they tend to not be as efficient at it as a projectile weapon is.

The best use for lasers against zombies, I suspect, is as pointers in powerpoint presentations. Even for zombies, powerpoint is brain death.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Are you kidding? They would die of AWESOMENESS!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-24, 01:51 AM
they already ARE dead spekter

Felixaar
2010-09-24, 06:19 AM

Catwoman?

Oh, article, not terrible movie.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-24, 12:37 PM

it's so awesome it would bring them back to life just to kill them again

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-24, 12:38 PM

They would die again and become alive!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-24, 09:54 PM
so shooting zombies with lasers brings them back to life. AWESOME!

anson nightrose
2010-09-24, 10:05 PM
yay zombies, i hate zombies thats y i hunt them:smallfurious:

Marnath
2010-09-26, 12:51 PM
I found a better axe pic (http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/catalog/fireman_axe_6_lbs_350.jpg). This is more in line with what I suggested a while back for using on zombies.

Arachu
2010-10-11, 09:56 AM
Here's a thought:

If Zombieosis is transmitted through saliva, and zombies have been swimming in, say, a river, wouldn't the water be unsafe? If it's based in your blood (as almost every modern zombie is), than it could find carriers - likely insects and vermin.

The zombies would die almost immediately after infection... And their scavengers would spread it.

Thus, I assert that a zombie apocalypse would only happen, not because everyone was killed by zombies, but rather because they all became zombies.

:roach: