Random Hop
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 6, Travel 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: You; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

Upon casting this spell, you designate and number (1-8) eight locations within range in the plane you are currently in to be transported to every round. At the end of your action every round (including this round), roll 1d8. You are then transported to the location numbered with the result of the roll. If you get the same result as the square you are currently in, roll again until you end up with a different result.

If the location you would normally be transported to is occupied by a creature or object, roll again. If all locations are occupied at the time you would normally teleport, you do not teleport until at least one location is unoccupied.

Random Hop, Psionic
Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Psion/wilder 6, psychic warrior 6
Components: Visual
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: You; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Power Resistance: No and Yes (object)
Power Points: 11

As the random hop spell, except as noted here.

Augment
If you spend 7 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a move action.

For every additional power point you spend, this power's duration increases by 1 round.

DracoDei
2010-08-25, 02:52 PM
I like it... very video-game feel, while also standing on its own merits (even in very serious games). You might be able to get away with it a level lower... except that I just realized it is even better than Quickened Dimension Door for negating grappling? I would consider dropping it from the Bard list, I don't think they get much teleportation stuff. Then again, it does have the aspect of trickery and confusion that goes well with bards.

Temotei
2010-08-25, 02:56 PM
I would consider dropping it from the Bard list, I don't think they get much teleportation stuff. Then again, it does have the aspect of trickery and confusion that goes well with bards.

For that reason (and the fact that dimension door is on their list), I included it for bards. In a way, this is more like dimension slide than dimension door, but if the bard was psionic, it would probably get that, too.

Psionic bard...

I'm glad you like it.

DracoDei
2010-08-25, 04:30 PM
Well, it seems I don't know my bards. If they get D-Door then this is just fine for them to have.

Temotei
2010-08-25, 07:15 PM
Well, it seems I don't know my bards. If they get D-Door then this is just fine for them to have.

Here you are, sir (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm).

DracoDei
2010-08-26, 12:28 AM
Here you are, sir (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm).
I believed you already, and if I hadn't I would have probably looked it up myself.

Temotei
2010-08-26, 06:41 PM
I believed you already, and if I hadn't I would have probably looked it up myself.

It's nice to have a link, though. :smallsmile:

Latronis
2010-08-26, 07:45 PM
would use it

Temotei
2010-08-26, 07:47 PM
would use it

Success! :smallcool:

Lysander
2010-08-26, 11:56 PM
I like it. One question though. Is there a range limit on how far the spell continues to function after its cast? Will it bring you back to one of those eight locations across any distance?

Temotei
2010-08-27, 12:17 AM
I like it. One question though. Is there a range limit on how far the spell continues to function after its cast? Will it bring you back to one of those eight locations across any distance?

There isn't a limit.

Latronis
2010-08-27, 12:44 AM
You should in that case put in "same plane" clause

Temotei
2010-08-27, 12:51 AM
You should in that case put in "same plane" clause

That makes sense. Otherwise, we'll have people teleporting to the ethereal plane, the shadow plane, and such, which, as far as I know, have the same locations, but interact differently with the material plane...good plan. I'll add that.

Lysander
2010-08-27, 08:40 AM
There isn't a limit.

In that case this spell is a pretty good defense against effects that teleport you away, or physically remove you from the area somehow. You could use this in the water to avoid getting carried away by a current, to return to a high ledge after getting bull rushed off, etc.

DracoDei
2010-08-27, 10:20 AM
In that case this spell is a pretty good defense against effects that teleport you away, or physically remove you from the area somehow. You could use this in the water to avoid getting carried away by a current, to return to a high ledge after getting bull rushed off, etc.
True, but it isn't a major balance concern if that is what you are saying since it is a strictly secondary use I should think. He made it so it isn't a "Must have" when fighting something with Prismatic attacks and that is enough. As for unwilling teleportation (not plane shifting) the only thing I can think of that does that is a Crypt Thing (play on words left in intentionally).

I will say that in some cases using this spell against a Charge build would be... a major mistake. Scout/Child of Shadow slightly less so but still probably not the best idea.

Lysander
2010-08-27, 10:45 AM
True, but it isn't a major balance concern if that is what you are saying since it is a strictly secondary use I should think. He made it so it isn't a "Must have" when fighting something with Prismatic attacks and that is enough. As for unwilling teleportation (not plane shifting) the only thing I can think of that does that is a Crypt Thing (play on words left in intentionally).

I will say that in some cases using this spell against a Charge build would be... a major mistake. Scout/Child of Shadow slightly less so but still probably not the best idea.

Seeing as it's 6th level I don't think it's at all overpowered, even with the additional use. In fact, it's a nice tactical option.

I do notice one risky thing about the spell: it's not dismissible. So in casting it you're effectively preventing yourself from escaping by any means. I suppose it would be easy and balanced to just add a (D) onto the spell, but I kinda like the drawback.

jiriku
2010-08-27, 06:07 PM
Yay for spells having drawbacks! I give +1 to the idea that the spell can snap you back to your current plane -- the benefit of being able to recover from prismatic attacks is more than offset by the inability to use plane shift or mordenkainen's magnificent mansion to escape from a losing fight.

This spell would actually be pretty cool if the caster is an ubercharger -- charge headlong into danger, then teleport away.

DracoDei
2010-08-27, 06:43 PM
Yay for spells having drawbacks! I give +1 to the idea that the spell can snap you back to your current plane -- the benefit of being able to recover from prismatic attacks is more than offset by the inability to use plane shift or mordenkainen's magnificent mansion to escape from a losing fight.
I can't tell if Lysander was suggesting that or not.

This spell would actually be pretty cool if the caster is an ubercharger -- charge headlong into danger, then teleport away.

I actually made a humorous creature based around that concept: the Warp Hog (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6432338&postcount=12).

Temotei
2010-08-27, 06:45 PM

Changed it back to its original form. :smallcool:

Latronis
2010-08-27, 07:03 PM
Warp Hog is such an awesome pun