PDA

View Full Version : The Sea of Starry Night [closed]



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dr._Bob
2005-09-29, 10:10 AM
There is a tense silence as the two groups of adventurers square off ...


The half-orc rattles his flail restlessly while a gaudily-dressed ranger stands ready by his side. A human fighter stands beside them, his longbow drawn back and ready to fire. Small flames flicker at his arrow's tip.

Behind them, a heavily armored human carries an unconscious robed girl in his arms, flanked by an elf and a gnome. The elf wields a rapier and main-gauche; the gnome holds her crossbow locked and loaded, ready to fire. In the very back is a small halfling holding a glowing spear that illuminates the area.

A quartet of dancing lights swarms distractingly in front of this formidable party.


Thirty feet away a lizardman blocks the center of the passage with bared teeth and sharp claws. The replilian humanoid hisses threateningly as he stands protectively in front of a battered and bloody dwarf, who struggles to his feet and readies a massive sword that seems to be coated with some kind of black ichor.

Behind them stands an exceptionally tall and fair woman with long, straight white hair. Her regal appearance is marred only by stringy webbing that dangles from her robes and arms. A pair of elf twins stands nearby, literal mirror images of each other.

Almost unnoticed at first is a small gnome rogue wielding a scaled-down shortsword. Scarlet blood drips down his arm from a nearly foot long laceration.

Though battered and bloody, this group of adventurers is clearly experienced and battle-hardened and not to be trifled with.


Seconds tick away as each side waits for the other to make the first move ...



OOC: Previously Sarloc's Heir (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1104289229) and Into the East (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1107631389). The OOC thread is here (http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play_ooc;action=display;num=11280005 24). Game on!

runehawk
2005-09-29, 12:17 PM
Lizardkin Druid

No more packmates will be lost this day..
He stubbornly wills himself to not show the fatigue and aches throughout his body.

*The druid studies the adversaries for their strengths and weaknesses and moves into a defensive posture beside the now standingThokk and Fizahn*

His body language promising swift response to any threat to his pack.

OOC: Charge the first opponent to make a threatening move. I will not recognise the girl bec. my back was to it and i was busy with the beb.

HempRope
2005-09-29, 04:05 PM
Halfling, Into the East

The Halfling in the middle of the bunch shifts uneasily, peering around a few of his companions' waists to see the other group.

His blueish garments are whole, though certainly not clean, and he seems uninjured.

We outnumber them, but I still don't know if we can afford a fight... but it's not up to me. I'm just here to follow.

He hoists the spear a little higher, watching the other group carefully.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-29, 04:41 PM
Darius, Human Fighter

Darius looks ahead the other group warily, his eyes dart back and forth from his own party to them. *The immense bags under his eyes seem to show more than just fatigue, *underneath his cold, hard stare is an inexplicable sadness. *He keeps his firey arrow notched to his bow, waiting for someone to make a move.

Well dammit, somebody's gotta talk.

"I have had enough of this place. *I've had enough of dark, dank tunnels and unearthly cold. *I've had enough of stale food, of running low on water. *I've had enough of terrible guides, and I've had enough of grimlocks, chasm, drow, and *urg* poison arrows. *The name's Darius, I don't know who you people are, or why you're here, but I know I don't want to fight you."

(OOC: I really like where this is going, DR)

Phasm
2005-09-29, 05:44 PM
Female gnomish rogue, East group

The crossbow-wielding gnome's eyes widen as she takes in the scene before her, but the crossbow doesn't waver. Her gray studded leather armor and cloak are decidedly dirty and travel-stained; her long blonde braid is looking rather dull and her brown-skinned, sharp-featured face is smudged with grime. Evidently this group has been traveling for quite some time. Fatigue is evident in her movements, but she looks around the tunnel alertly.

After Darius speaks, the gnome clears her throat. "I agree with Darius. I've had quite enough for one day already, and we need another set of enemies like we need a plague of stirges. I'm Lissa Quicksilver... at least, that's what I go by in most places." Lissa's voice is a pleasant soprano, albeit a bit hoarse. "Oh, speaking of enemies, there's a whole lot of angry drow back there-" she jabs a thumb back the way her group came- "and they'll probably be coming this way as soon as they figure out how to get across the chasm. I strongly suggest that we resolve this quickly so we can get out of here!"

Frojoe21
2005-09-29, 06:19 PM
Male dual weilding elf

As a sign of good faith, the elf flicks his rapier and sheathes it, He stands upright, still keeping the dagger clenched in one hand. "Well since two of my associates have introduced themselves to you, it would normally be polite to do the same. I'm Aeroz, son of Rellem the Cloaked."

[OOC: New thread, new format. I figured I would give Aeroz a speech colour and change his ID tag to bold. Why I post this, I dont know.]

bhdrake
2005-09-29, 06:47 PM
Half-Orc Warrior

The Orc give his flail a shake, the steel head rattling the chain, but he makes no other hostile moves. After a moment, he speaks, his voice gruff and rustic, "This is pretty simple. I'm coming through, and all ya gotta do is clear a path. After that.. I don't care, ya can follow us if it makes ya happy, and that'd probably be a damned fine idea on yer part. Or ya could not move, and I could clear a path, through, or die trying."

He pauses a moment, his rough visage creasing in thought, as if he's forgotten something, "Oh, right.. Lumpy." He offers no other explanation, settling back a bit, waiting for them to clear out.

HempRope
2005-09-29, 07:41 PM
Halfling, Into the East

The halfling gives a short, grim laugh at Lumpy's statement.
Rather arrogant of him... I don't think we even trust him yet, and he's not helping his cause with them...

Then, not moving from his safe spot towards the middle fo the group, he begins to speak.
"My name's Achkby. I want a fight about as much as the rest of them. And we think that we need to get down this tunnel, to the Glimmersea. And there are a bunch of angry drow and Grimlocks across a huge chasm back there."
He jerks his tumb over his shoulder.
"So I don't advise trying to go that way. I recommend turning back and going back down that tunnel with us. And then we can decide if you're going to come with us or not."
He pauses for a moment, and glances at Aeroz.
"But that's not up to me. All I'm saying is that if you aren't on friedly terms you;d probably be better off turnign back around."
He ends grimly, with a deep sigh, and his spear trembles a bit in his grip. He lowers it, and sets one end on the ground.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-29, 07:48 PM
Darius

"I'd say most of them are at the bottom of the chasm now." Darius says with a little chuckle. "But yes, we should get going? What do you say?"

He waits for one of the strangers to answer.

Zeal
2005-09-29, 08:15 PM
Human Ranger

A Human with a long purple and green overcoat and a huge floppy purple hat stands in the very front of the party with Darius and Lissa. The Hawk resting on a strange apparatus which holds a torch shifts on its precarious perch.
"Oh, great, are you folks going to tie me up as well?" He remarks before shrugging and taking a long drink from the flask sitting at his hip.

runehawk
2005-09-30, 12:24 AM
Lizardkin Druid

they do not seek to fight.. good

Understanding that the pinkskins who stand opposite them are not keen to fight and are fleeing something behind them, the lizard understands the strangers simply wish to pass

I hope the others will let them pass.. we need rest

but first our prey..
speaking slowly with clenched teeth
in draconic,
"Where.......iss....sSethra?"

OOC: hello to everyone from ITE. sorry if i come off as a bit of a harda**.with a cha of 8, I really should rub you the wrong way and don't expect me to volunteer my name. lizardkin don't do that with humanoids. and well it'll take a while before my char warms up to you. I told my own party to just call me Druid.. so if you hear them call me that you could follow suit. thanks. game on

Frojoe21
2005-09-30, 12:31 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sorry buddy, I dont speak your language. " The elf comments as the lizardfolk belays his message. "Perhaps we could understand each other if we spoke in this tongue. I .." Aeroz stutters as he tries to think of a goblin equivalent for the word "reckon that we can talk to each other easier. Or do you speak common? If you're travelling with a band like this, it seems sort of like a necessity."

Aeroz's goblin is a little rusty, but if the lizarfolk can understand it, it should be understandable

[OOC: obviously orange is goblin, blue is common.]

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-09-30, 05:44 AM
Linda the White, mage.

The white haired, white robed woman in the back of the newcomers stands on her staff wearily and studies the other group. Her eyes scan the tunnel left and right but she can't see many things apart from the other group due to lack of any ability to see in the dark. Shaking her head she attempts a smile when three of the strangers speak. Deeming it polite, she also begins to introduce herself:

It is fortunate to meet anything other than enemies in these caverns if-from what I gathered of your speech-they are indeed part of the Underdark. My friends and I traveled through a portal here after a fight with a powerful demon. Though admitting it pains me, we lost more than one friend there-we would not like to fight again so soon. My name is Linda "Whitestaff" Endareth but you can call me simply by my first name. If you were fighting drow and other creatures of darkness, would I be right in assuming you are a noble group? If that is so, we could possibly join forces for a time-this place must be dangerous and I would like to live to see the light.

Erikkin
2005-09-30, 06:54 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn eyes the other group warily, looking at each one and evaluating them, he spends the longest time evaluating the other gnome. He then looks at his own group and evaluates them. Pressing his hand to his arm, he begins to speak, "I'm Fizahn. I agree that fighting is not the best option. I assume you're fleeing from those drow back the way you came, but if not it would be best to combine forces and find a place to rest as quickly as we can."

bhdrake
2005-09-30, 10:34 AM
Lumpy

The orc begins to walk towards the other party, intending to push his way through if they won't move. As he nears, it becomes clear that he's in rather poor condition himself, dirty, beaten up, and looking like he hasn't had a proper meal in quite a while. He does manage a derisive snort, "Rest? In the underdark? Good luck with that. I've been down here fer a while and I ain't had the pleasure yet."

Dr._Bob
2005-09-30, 11:19 AM
As Lumpy approaches, the dwarf raises his sword in warning, point ready. Fresh demon blood, black as tar, drips from its blade.

"I'm in no mood for yer disrespectful tone, half-breed. Ye'll be answerin' our questions an' politely too before we say ye can pass!"

The two elves step forward in an attempt to defuse the tense situation, revealing themselves on closer inspection to be half-elven. They roll their eyes at the dwarf's racial slur, then both bow as one respectfully.

One speaks in a gentle voice, "Greetings and well met, friends. I am Elthan Moonshadow."

"As am I," adds the other.

"We have no wish to fight nor would we hinder your travels, but we are somewhat disoriented and could use your help," says the first.

"First of all, where are we?" asks the second.

"If this is truly the Underdark, is there quick passage to the surface?" asks the first.

"How far are we from Mimleth and the Orsrauns?" asks the second.

Seeing the blank looks they get in return, the first Elthan asks, "Are we even still in the Vilhon Reach?"

The other continues, "And we have seen that girl you are carrying in a vision," indicating Sheyra, "Who is she?"

"Is she alive?" inquires the first, an eyebrow cocked in curiosity.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-30, 12:20 PM
Darius, Human Fighter

"Actually, if any of you could help us, Sheyra and I have both been poisoned by drow arrows. She's alive... but she's fading. And no, there is no quick passage to the surface... in fact we'll be lucky if we ever find passage to the surface. And what do you mean, in a vision?"

HempRope
2005-09-30, 03:43 PM
Achkby, Halfling

After Aeroz speaks, Achkby says quietly, trying to make himself audible only to his friends, "I understand him. Or at least I think that I do." He frowns for a moment, puzzled. "I think that he asked us where 'ssethra' is, though he hisses so much that he can't tell if it is ssethra or just ethra."

-----Present-----

This is insane! Why do some people always want to fight? At least one of them is going to die if there is a fight.

Speaking to the elf/ves, Achkby says, "Thank you for keeping your heads."
The he talks directly to the dwarf. "I'd thank you to keep your weapons down, Dwarf. Even if Lumpy is out of line, you have no place starting a fight when none of us want it.
"We brought him, so if he does try anything, we'll take care of him oursleves. If he attacks you, I see no problem with your defending yourself or even killing him, but don't touch him until he does so. And we'll stop him from doing that."
He stares grimly at the dwarf, but then looks at Lumpy instead. "Lumpy, I know you've been down here for a while, but this is not the time to start another fight. Come back here and put down that flail."

He shifts a bit uneasily after challenging the two people in the tunnel with the biggest weapons, but doesn't say anythign more.

Erikkin
2005-09-30, 04:24 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

Fizahn looks at Lumpy like he's a fool as he threatens to fight Thokk. His glance is replicated as Darius comments about how the group is poisoned and asks what is meant by vision. "Is a vision not specific enough for you? Very well, we saw her in the portal that brought us here." Fizahn laughs as Achkby reprimands Lumpy. "That's right Lumpy, listen to your brains."

OOC: For those of you who don't know, I've color-coded my languages:
Common
Gnome
Draconic

runehawk
2005-09-30, 05:59 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin looks slightly baffled as the pinkskins around him exchange greetings and begin to co-operate. the knowledge that a confrontation was no longer imminent relaxed the lizardkin until a tall, smelly pinkskin took steps forward and started being belligerent. The lizardkin drew himself to his full height and stood toe to toe with him, flexing his clawed wrists & hissing dangerously thru clenched teeth. His manner indicating that if the strange pinkskin attempted to push his way thru his party, it''d have to go thru him..first.

I will share my pain with this pinkskin if he tries to be stupid..

As the elthans burst into an attempt to defuse the situation and the stranger goes no further, he attempts to digest the conversation that passes around him.

Even with his increasing grasp of pinkskin-speech, the words while intelligble did not make sense to him. He was further puzzled that the others were not seeking what errand these strangers had with Sethra and why the others weren't eager to retreat back into the mountains and rest so as to relaunch the attack on Sethra.

there isn't much time left.. my people will begin to move soon

Frojoe21
2005-09-30, 06:50 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sethra...Sethra...I've heard the name before. I think it had something to do with that Kris thing. Why would you be looking for him. We were told that it was a centuries old artifact. Obviously the man must be dead, or undead. I wouldn't put it past some people..."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-30, 07:05 PM
Darius, Human Fighter

"Uh, actually no, not really. *A vision could be a number of things... all of which there's no time to go into now. *Let's get moving, shall we?"

Vision not specific enough for you? *How about an arrow up your arse, that specific enough for you? *And that damn lizard is getting on my nerves... as unlikely as it seems I think I'm with Lumpy on this one.

bhdrake
2005-09-30, 08:55 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy actually does stop, though he doesn't look eitherr intimidatec by the resistance put up, nor swayed by their attempts at persausion. Instead, his thick features flex into something approximately incredulous, "Yeah, sure, let's all sit down, put aside our weapons, put a pot'a tea on the fire, and compare notes. That way when the dark elves cross the chasm with some other bridge or whatever, we can all be unprepared with our backs to a dead end, and die properly."

He shakes his flail again impatiently, pausing in his speech long enough to rattle of a few colorful curses in orcish, then continues, "Or, if the prospect of being alive appeals ta ya somehow, we should, say.. move and talk all at the same time. Not too complicated fer ya, is it? Because otherwise, whether I die fighting all'a ya, or a pack of drow ain't gonna make any difference in an hour or so."

Always talking.. you'd think they were on the surface the way they waste time.

Phasm
2005-09-30, 09:31 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa sighs audibly and rolls her eyes as Lumpy and the dwarf butt heads (metaphorically speaking.) She giggles at the other gnome's comment, and replies in the same language. {Fighters, go figure. I mean, 'half-breed'? I can come up with a better insult than that half-asleep!}

Seeing that a fight is (hopefully) not imminent, Lissa snaps down the safety catch on her crossbow and slings it over her shoulder by an attached strap. "I speak Draconic, too," she pipes up. Looking at the lizardfolk, the gnome speaks in the same hissing language. <Well met, warrior. Do you understand the trading-talk of humans?> She looks back up at Darius. "I just told him hello, and asked him if he understands Common. And I second the motion to talk while we walk! Or better yet, run!" Lissa eyes the wounded dwarf. "Hmm, he doesn't look like he can move very fast at the moment. Baravar's black cloak, that must hurt! Oy, Sedryn! Got any cure spells handy? The dwarf here looks like he can use 'em."


OOC: {Gnome} <Draconic>

Erikkin
2005-10-01, 08:48 AM
Fizahn, gnome:

"I know what you mean, I've said worse half-asleep."

Fizahn sheathes his "short sword", and looks at the passage the other group came from, and then looks the way his group is preventing them from going. "I agree with her. We'd better start moving. I don't think anyone is in any shape to fight, and definitely not an outnumbered battle."

Fizahn turns and starts walking down the passage. He turns back to look at everyone, and shouts back, "Well, does anyone else want to live? Let's pick up the pace here!"

Frojoe21
2005-10-01, 08:58 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Whoa there. You guys look pretty roughed up. Moving around here in your condition would be dangerous. Do you guys have any healing or something? If not, I'm sure that Sedryn will be able to help you out" Aeroz points the cleric in the full plate, who seems to be standing idly.

runehawk
2005-10-01, 09:02 AM
Lizardkin Druid
The momentary spike of rage ebbs into a palpable knot of cold fury. An emotion more familiar to the cold-blooded creature.

Feh..I begin to forget myself. Perhaps pinkskins are not as weak as 'the people' thought they were. Perhaps the ones i hunt with are worthy of some respect but.. I AM lizardkin.. and must remember 'my people' belong to a balance while these.. pinkksins.. easily upset it with their ignorance and embrace corruptive magic..... I CANNOT become attached to them...packmates though they are.. and i cannot take on their weaknesses as well

Although still standing before the tall strangely smelling pinkskin, his shoulders drop and the lizardkin seems less aggressive.
Yet the loss and anger I hold do not seem any less
His brows furrow.

His attention is diverted by a smaller pinkskin a short distance behind the one he blocks. Like the small scarred one with the spirit of a wolverine, this one has a big snout as well.

His eyes widen as it sheathes it weapon and stands close and begins talking in draconic.

It can't come above my hip but here it stands fearlessly while unarmed within reach of one such as I

He glances at a clawed hand, which he finds himself lowering, before turning to it and replying:
"I do"
Do all big-snouteded pinkskins carry this muchf coutrage?, he muses.

As his awareness shifts to the presents and away from his emotions, he realises that his instincts are guiding him away from where the strangers had come from.
Remembering that the strangers were fleeing from some creature called 'drow' in pinkspeech. He could not recall any beast which bore that name as part of the balance.

While he felt no fear, a glance behind reminds him his packmates were in dire need of rest. Sethra's death was a certainty.. but it would be delayed for now.

*The lizardkin turns and marches to the back of his group after looking at Thokk and starts to trudge onwards. He stops to lock his eyes on Fizahn and indicates Thokk before marching into the gloom *

HempRope
2005-10-01, 10:01 AM
Achkby, Halfling

In spite of myself, I find Lumpy's arguments winning me over. The Underdark is a dangerous place. I can't afford to just follow these people around anymore. Survival takes work here, and while it doesn't matter if these people find whatever it is they're looking for, I want to get out of here alive. We had better get moving.

"Ay, the gnomes have the right of it. Let's get moving."

He walks forward until he is closer to the strangers than he is to his own party, slipping the spear away as he does so. Its light radiates from just behind his head, throwing long shadows all around the tunnel.
He looks back at all of the tall people standing behind him, and nods slowly.

bhdrake
2005-10-01, 11:29 AM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy looks almost relieved that they've decided to get moving, if not a little irritated that everybody attributes the idea to the gnomes. he remains silent, however, letting his flail drop slightly as he passes through the gap left by the lizardman's departure, taking long strides in his uneven gait.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-01, 12:28 PM
Elthan the Second, Twin Sorcerer

*Elthan follows the lizards lead and begins to march beside him. He walks beside him for a while without saying anything.*

*In Draconic, quite softly.*
"Lizard, I saw the way you looked back there when they spoke. The unknowing glance of a foriegner to another speech. You have been showing this or quite some time now. I understand that you do not have as much knowlage of common speech as a natural would, but if you would allow me, I would help you better understand that language."

*Elthan back up behind the lizard to his position beside Elthan, and lets the lizaard consider his offer as the groups walk.*

Elmorwen
2005-10-01, 01:40 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra's eyes snap open and she jumps out of Sedryn's arms. "What happened?" she says in a panic, "Who are these people?"

runehawk
2005-10-01, 03:15 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizard initially tenses when Elthan II aproaches but on hearing his offer softens his expression slightly.

He wordlessly continues beside Fizahn as Elthan II falls back.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-01, 05:05 PM
Darius

"We don't really know, but they're not Drow... By the way, thanks for your help back there, We're going to get you healed the second we can stop."

Elmorwen
2005-10-01, 07:57 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra rubs her head and moans a little. "Thanks," she says to Darius, "I think I need a nap. These must be those people with the light, then."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-01, 10:15 PM
Darius

"Yeah, apparently they saw you in some sort of vision, but that's not really important right now, let's get moving."

Darius will walk next to Sheyra to make sure that she's alright.

Zeal
2005-10-01, 10:25 PM
Human Ranger

"Well i'm sure glad you folk are freindly" Tipping his hat at Linda he smiles and says "Name's Hajih by the way, your humble guide to underground vistas of all types."

bhdrake
2005-10-01, 11:00 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy moves up towards the front, alongside the the Lizardkin, finally hanging his flail back at his belt. He peers ahead with an exhausted sort of half-alertness, obviously more comfortable in the dark, than further back where the torches are. If anything, he seems less interested in leading the way for the sake of the others of his 'party', and more for the sheer fact of covering ground quickly.

HempRope
2005-10-01, 11:33 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Hearing Haji advertising himself again, Achkby calls out from the middle of the group, "Don't let him guide you anywhere. We took him on, and he got us all lost and then himself captured"

He is supposed to be our guide... but he seems to consider himself just another wanderer now, and we seem satisfied that he doesn't have a clue where we are. Hmph.

Phasm
2005-10-02, 01:31 AM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa pats Sheyra's leg sympathetically. "We really need to get out of here, Sheyra. Just hang on for a bit more." The diminutive rogue looks up at Darius. "Oh, the lizardfolk understands Common, by the way. I guess he just prefers to speak his own language. I'm going to get moving now, considering that I've got shorter legs than most of you. If you hear a scream, you'll know there's something nasty up ahead!" Lissa grins impishly, draws her crossbow, beckons to the quartet of dancing lights, and sets off down the tunnel at a jog.


(OOC: The dancing lights hover slightly ahead of Lissa until the spell runs out, at which time she'll retrieve her everburning torch.)

Dr._Bob
2005-10-02, 10:06 AM
Everyone agrees that the best thing to do is to move on quickly before more trouble arrives. Setting aside any animosity, the groups realize that there is strength in numbers and that working together seems the most likely way to assume everyone's survival.

Introductions are made along the way, and Sedryn, cleric of Lathander, moves among the injured, healing what wounds he can. Sedryn himself is pale and quiet, not his usual robust self. Perhaps the days in darkness under the surface, away from the gaze of the morning sun, have been hard on him ...

Thokk, the lizardman, and Lumpy put aside their mutual dislike for each other and act as a vanguard, leading the way ahead of the party, putting their darkvision to good use.

Thokk says little, but whenever "demons" are mentioned, his eyes harden with pain and anger. Lumpy says even less. His story is yet to be told.

Aeroz, Fizahn, and Lissa take turns moving ahead or covering the rear of the party (and in large passages, the flanks). Their eyes peer carefully into the darkness to be sure the party is not ambushed from the sides or the rear. Each bears a crossbow, loaded and ready to fire.

Those meeting Aeroz for the first time can't help noticing the beads of sweat of his forehead, the dark circles under his eyes, and the greenish, waxy pallor of his cheeks. He does not seem to be in an elf's usual state of good health, but he offers no explanation and no one is bold enough to ask.

The humans (Darius, Linda, Sedryn, Sheyra and Hajih) along with the two Elthans and Achkby make up the main party. They stay close to the light sources (two everburning torches). Darius' bow is ready in case anyone or anything makes it through the first line.

Elthan is particularly interested in Sheyra. Who is she? Why would she appear in the portal? Does she know who Sarloc was? (She doesn't.) Hajih is quite talkative, but he assures Linda and the Elthans that they have not encountered anyone who might have been Sethra. On the other hand, he observes, if Sethra can take other people's forms, then it might be hard to recognize him, hmm?

Sedryn is close-lipped about exactly why he and Aeroz have led their companions into the Underdark. It would appear that there were three women (assassins, Aeroz says) who have stolen something of value. Aeroz and Sedryn have vowed to track them down and recover the artifact. Sheyra expresses some ambivalence on this issue. The women had previously proven to be kind and helpful, she confides. Perhaps there is more to the story, she hopes.

The newly enlarged party moves quickly through the tunnels undisturbed. Occasional scurrying noises retreating in the distance suggest that no creature wants to disturb such a large, well-armed party. And despite the size of the group, you leave almost no tracks on the hard, dry stone. You take a countless number of left forks, then right forks, then left forks, until everyone feels assured that any pursuit has been lost in the labyrinthine tunnels.

After what seems like hours (or possible even a day), the path widens then opens into an enormous chamber, perhaps 200 yards in diameter and four stories in height. Water drips from its domed ceiling, and on the floor grows a miniature forest of luminescent fungi. After some quick scouting, it appears that there are two other small exits to the chamber (in addition to the large opening you just entered through), but the stadium-sized cavern appears to be easily defensible.

The good news is that if everyone sleeps in shifts, it seems like everyone will be able to get a full "night's" rest. For some, this will be the first chance to really rest in a week or more.

The bad news is that the 14 of you are now completely out of water. The food ration situation is only slightly better. The possibility of dying from thirst or hunger is becoming as real a threat as an attack from the drow ...

runehawk
2005-10-02, 10:26 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Staying on the flanks and guarding the packmates and strangers gave the lizardkin little chance to interact with the others or listen to the conversations but the need of rest and temporary unity was impressed upon him.

On finding that water and food was limited in both parties, he resolved to forage in the cavern, particularly in the fungi below.

I will find food and water for my packmates and if there is enough, share with these strangers

Looking around at his surroundings..
We must be very deep in the mountain...FEH!..Sethra cannot outrun this hunter..

He leaves the others in a group and goes to forage by himself, mentally attuning to the difference in the balance around him.

OOC: memorise new spells and Survival and knowledge nature checks as necessary. Cast guidance for one roll

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-02, 10:41 AM
Darius, Human Fighter

"Lizard. I'll come with you." Darius will ask around the party, collecting waterskins. He'll bury the very bottoms of the waterskins in the dirt where he finds dripping water, and he lets them slowly fill. "Achkby, I suppose you can clean the stuff once we have it, right?"

I wonder if those fungi are edible... better not...

Frojoe21
2005-10-02, 10:48 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I wouldn't touch any of the plantlife around here. You dont have a clue what it is." Aeroz comments as he wipes the sweat off of his forehead "So Hajh. Any brilliant ideas now?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-02, 10:54 AM
"Shining mushrooms don't seem too appetizing." Darius says, then he leans over and whispers something into Aeroz's ear with a grin, "Wonder what lizard tastes like."

Frojoe21
2005-10-02, 11:05 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Pheasant actually. Dont ask why I know though." Aeroz kids as he jabs Darius slightly with his elbow.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-02, 11:12 AM
Darius

"Well, I sure would love to have a pheasant right about now." Darius says with a little chuckle, wandering off in search of dripping water.

It's lizard season, hehe.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-02, 11:24 AM
Thokk

"Ach, I would like to be back in my caves with my family, but thats not going to happen now laddie, is it? So shut up, do your work, and go hunt yourself if ye be so blasted hungry"

OOC: How much HP and STR does Thokk have left?

Frojoe21
2005-10-02, 11:34 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Temper temper Mr. Dwarf. The last thing we need is the drow to find us killing each other. And besides, arguing uses up energy, and you look like you need to spare yours." Aeroz comments as he coughs a little.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-02, 11:40 AM
Darius

Darius truns around at the dwarf's comment. "Consider yourself lucky you even have a family, dwarf... and I wouldn't tell others to do their work if I were sitting around on my arse doing nothing."

HempRope
2005-10-02, 11:40 AM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer


Darius, Human Fighter

"Achkby, I suppose you can clean the stuff once we have it, right?"

"I believe so, yes."

If only we were still above ground. I would still have Jari with me, and he had plenty of food and water on him, always...

"Does anyone have any other suggestions for food?" he says, completely ignoring the argument with the dwarf.

Idiots, all of them. We can't afford to be arguing about nothings now.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-02, 12:12 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan II goes over to Sedryn.*
"If I remember correctly, among a divine agents Orisons include a prayer to create water. I would suggest preparing that spell tonight."

*Elthan then retrives from his bag one of the trail rations he still has left.*


(OOC: I'm sorry, I just have too much experiance being a cleric to forget that they have that spell.
And DR could you be a bit more specific on how much food we have left and how much we heal and such?)

sacreddeamon
2005-10-02, 12:17 PM
Thokk

"Ach, be quiet ye little laddie. You need to bring yer own rations. I got mine with me, but I supose you dont have any. Pah! Typical Halfling runt."

Phasm
2005-10-02, 12:56 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa glares at the arguers as she pulls a bedroll out of her pack (which looks far too flat to have held any such thing) and starts unrolling it. "If you can't be civil, keep your traps shut. Or you just may regret it come morning!" The gnome's normal sparkling cheerfulness seems to have finally run out, under the pressure of fatigue, combat, thirst, lack of bathing and bickering allies. {Baravar help me, if they don't shut up soon I'm going to put bat guano in their bedrolls after they've gone to sleep. Idiots.} She flops down on the bedroll, takes a pouch marked 'FOOD' out of her pack, then stuffs it back in with a sigh. "Only make me thirstier without water to wash it down." Lissa sets about wriggling out of her studded leather armor, revealing a sweat-stained shirt and breeches underneath.

The gnome stacks her armor and weapons up neatly, then rolls over to face Fizahn. Curiosity, it seems, has overcome fatigue for the moment. "So, Fizahn, where does your family come from? I don't think I remember you from Hidden Vale..."


(OOC: Remove armor. Lissa's weapons are within reach, and she'll have her everburning torch nearby until she goes to sleep- at which time she'll either put it in her pack or give it to one of the sentries. She can take any of the watches.)

sacreddeamon
2005-10-02, 01:02 PM
After what seems like hours (or possible even a day), the path widens then opens into an enormous chamber, perhaps 200 yards in diameter and four stories in height. Water drips from its domed ceiling, and on the floor grows a miniature forest of luminescent fungi. After some quick scouting, it appears that there are two other small exits to the chamber (in addition to the large opening you just entered through), but the stadium-sized cavern appears to be easily defensible.




"Ach, ill just help myself to some water. Ye surface dwellers might not have the consitituion for it, but if the water if boiled it should be safe to drink for those of you with less eherm, stanima"

*Goes over to where the water is dripping down, takes a tiny sip to test the water, and then drink it*

OOC: +9 Fort save on any funky diseases or poisions in the water

Erikkin
2005-10-02, 01:43 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

As the group stops to rest, Fizahn reaches into his pack. With a groan, he empties his pack, hurriedly going through his possessions. With a dismayed look, he starts muttering to himself. "No tent! I must have left it with that stupid horse! And I don't have a pony anymore either! No paper either! Why did I leave my rope with that stupid horse! At least I've still got my torch, food, and bedroll!"

Angrily, Fizahn pulls out his bedroll and his blanket. When he gets it set up, he looks at Lissa removing her armor. "I wouldn't risk sleeping without armor in the Underdark."

As Lissa asks about his past, Fizahn shrugs. "I might have been there once, my family moved around a lot, because my father wasn't exactly a perfect role model. I've been to a lot of places I don't know the names of. I'm originally from a small hamlet, at least that's where I was born. I don't even remember it's name anymore, or know if it still exists."

HempRope
2005-10-02, 01:51 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Achkby comes over to the other short people (:/) and pulls out his bedroll, too.

"I grew up in a tiny town as well," he tells them as he begins to remove his armor. "Though I lived in the one place my whole childhood, I wasn't there all that long. I left less than a year after I came of age." He smiles wanly, and starts piling pieces of armor into his pack.
Scratch that, I don't speak Gnomish.

Achkby drags his bedroll out of his pack, too, and starts taking off his armor. Then, he pulls out his necessities and starts piling the armor on stop.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-02, 03:07 PM
Thokk

*To Fizahn*
"Ha, little laddie, you arnt the only one without their mount. I have some rope with me if ye need it, but I dont think ye will be wantin a tent. We are all in a cavern, so sleepin under the stars aint an issue, and if we get attacked, I for one want to be able to get up as soon as possible"

*To Lissa*
"I actually think taking off the armor is a decent idea. If you are in heavy armor, like my plate, ye will be quite sore in the morn. Fizahn, however, is in his little light pansy armor, so it dont bother him a whole lot"

OOC: Hey, any water at all is water right now. If it is dripping one drop every 5 seconds, then I have 12 mL of water in a minute, which equals 1.2 liters in an hour and twenty minutes. That is from a single spot. If there are several little spots with water pouring forth, it would be a good idea to get as many flasks as possible under them to collect water.

runehawk
2005-10-02, 03:55 PM
Lizardkin Druid
Away from the others, the druid examines the flora and fauna of his surroundings. The chatter of the others a dim buzz in the background punctuated by the constant drip of water.

Crumbling, bits of bracket fungi and sniffing it in one claw, thoughts of Sethra are replaced by thoughts of his tribe and people. The recent dramatic events making the idyll of his life that was disturbed seemingly a lifetime ago.

How deep below the tower am I?

He studies his surroundings with fascination. Some types of plants looking familiar. at least from one of his master's etched hides. Others totally alien to him.

The footsteps of a nearing pinkskin(Darius) break his thoughts and cause him to continue.

Zeal
2005-10-02, 06:23 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih carefully examines some of the fungus, to tell whether it is edible or not before drawing a large jug out of his back. "We may not have any water left, but feel free to help your self to the ale.

(Knowledge Nature check at +1 or Knowledge Dungeoneering at +7 which ever is applicable for examining the fungus)

Phasm
2005-10-02, 07:59 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa smacks her forehead as she watches the dwarf gather water from the dripping ceiling. "I must be tired! Why didn't I think of that?" As she rummages in her pack, she responds to Fizahn and Thokk. "I may be in light armor, but it's not exactly restful to sleep in all the same. Besides which, if anything goes bump in the night I fully intend to stand back and give it a shot with ol' Betsy here." Lissa pats the stock of her loaded crossbow fondly, then peers into the pack with a cross expression. "Darn, I was sure I had a pot in here! Must've left it with Patch. Oh well, time to improvise..."

Within a few minutes, the ingenious rogue has cobbled together a water-collector out of a waterproofed winter cloak and several rocks. The rocks hold the cloak oiled-side-up into sort of a large bowl, while more rocks are placed to anchor the fabric and prevent it from slipping. The whole apparatus has been set up under one of the more frequent drips.

Lissa smiles, dusts her hands off, then yawns. "Gods, I'm tired. I'll take third watch. Whoever's taking this watch can use my torch, if they don't have a light of their own." She gestures to the purple everburning torch propped up against her pack. "Sleep well, everyone. Wake me when it's my watch." With that, she burrows into her bedroll and closes her eyes.


(OOC: Whee, water collector! It's up to DR how much it collects, I guess. Lissa is now drifting off to dreamland.)

bhdrake
2005-10-02, 09:07 PM
Lumpy Tichkeck, Half-Orc Warrior

Despite his obvious fatigue, Lumpy seems to have a difficult time settling down as the party stops. He circles the cavern a little, inspecting the exits, as well as the fungus, before finally trying to locate a water-drip of his own to settle down by. Untying a clay mug from his pack. he sets it up to collect water for himself. He'll try to forage some himself while the small-folk settle down to rest, as likely for the chance to keep an eye on things than for the chance to actually find some food.

The degree of seperation from the rest of his 'party' becomes more evident, as he seems to keep a wary eye on them as much as the exits.

(OOC Lumpy will join some of the others in trying to scrounge up something edible, with +7 Survival. He'll probably remove his armor and try to sleep some when the next shift comes up, since it looks to me like all the short-folk have already settled down)

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-03, 06:29 AM
Linda frowns when she realises there's hardly any food left but smiles when the others mention the lack of water.

I can create water myself-a few gallons of it actually. Bring your waterskins here and I'll fill them up. I am still worried about the food though-there is a clerical spell to create provisions of that kind but it is not within my powers.

Linda fills any waterskins the group brings her (up to 3 castings of create water) and then trails off to sleep, still tired from the battle with the Bebilith and less used than the others in long marches and prolonged fights.

Wake me up when it is my turn to stand guard-though I must say I am not a very competent one.

She unfolds her bedroll and lies down near the lights, dozing off after a short while...

Elmorwen
2005-10-03, 08:45 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra drinks the last few drops from her waterskin, then hands it to Linda for refilling. "Thank you," she says once it's full, "I'd find a drip, but I don't know if my body could take another poisoning."

She sets up her bedroll and sits down on it. "I can take watch whenever we need it," she says.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-03, 09:39 AM
Thokk

"Ach. ye be missing some good minerals in this water! Fortifies ye, and helps brew a potent ale"

*Sets out three flasks under the drips, and hads Liddia fill up his waterskin*

"Ach, I have a little energy left, Ill take the first watch and keep ye all safe"

Dr._Bob
2005-10-03, 10:40 AM
With the soft glow from the giant fungi and the steady, soothing dripping of water from the ceiling, the chamber is almost pleasant to be in. One by one, you take turns getting some much needed rest.

...

The untreated water dripping from the ceiling tastes metallic and vaguely sulfurous. Although Thokk appears to suffer no ill effects from drinking it, the rest of you wisely decide to stick with the pure, cool water that Linda provides.

Sedryn purifies the water collected by Lissa and Darius, which further replenishes the party's shared reservoir of drinking water.

The lizardman wanders into the fungus forest in the center of this vast cavern. As he moves deeper among the mushrooms, they become larger and larger until, by the time he reaches the center, he is able to stand fully erect under the softly glowing fungus canopy. There is a kind of alien beauty to the fungus forest. The lizardman sits down, closes his eyes, and meditates ...

Hajih takes a long draught of ale, then begins examining the glowing fungus carefully. Holding aloft a crumbled, softly glowing piece of mushroom, he pronounces the fungus safe to eat. He looks around expectantly to see if anyone is willing to put his judgement to the test ...

Elthan I and Achkby spend some time discussing arcana and dragon lore. When Achkby admires the black dragon scale Elthan I shows him, Elthan I gives it to him as a gift. "Please consider this a gesture of goodwill and friendship ..."

sacreddeamon
2005-10-03, 10:50 AM
Thokk

*Getting Ready to Sleep, taking off the plate mail*

"Ach, ye all be pansies not drinkin the water. it will put hair on your chests, I tell ye!. Ah, it feels good to take off this plate. Methinks its the first time in a good week! Bah! I smell like a Orc! I gotta clean myself up a little..."

*Takes off armor, washes it and polishes it as he can with the water from the celing, cleans sword, mends what armor he can, and goes to sleep*

bhdrake
2005-10-03, 11:31 AM
Lumpy, Warrior

Lumpy finally tires of wandering the room, (and just plain tires in general), retrieving his little cup and moving closer to the others as the shift changes. He drinks the water quickly, before throwing down his pack and beginning the arduous process of dissassembling his armor. From the looks of it, this is probably very literally the first time it has come of in a week or more. Beneath all the plate, mail, and underpadding he is as stout and lopsided as he looked without it.

Finally unclothed, save for a simple pair of breeches, he settles down with a big chunk of soap from his pack, and does the best he can to clean off himself, as well as his armor and clothing. When he's finished what he can with the limited water of the drips, he hefts the soap aloft, "Any'a ya want some?" In a surprising act of generosity, he will break of a chunk for anyone who takes him up on it, before unrolling his bedroll, and falling asleep easily.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-03, 12:29 PM
Thokk

"Ach, that be the first time ive seen soap in a long while. And ye actually smell decent! A first time for everything, I guess. Glacen't Depeter to you, laddie

OOC: BTW, Green or Black is Common
Blue is Dwarfen
Orange will be Gnome
Purple will be Undercommon
Brown will be Terran
Red will be goblin

HempRope
2005-10-03, 03:17 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Achkby gratefully takes the water from Linda, but doesn't drink much. He uses his final casting of Prestidigitation to clean himself and his possessions before settling down. He considers offering to clean others, too, but quickly decided that it might be invasive.

He eventually moves his things over to Elthan I, and talks with him at length about their similar interests. He is honored to recieve the black scale, though he confesses that he admires the blues the most. "They have the whole skies as their dominon," he explains.
He watches the lizardfolk remove his armor, and remarks, "You know, It's remarkable how similar some species still are to the dragons. You friend there is pretty draconic himself. It's sort of marvelous."

And I almost envy him.

After a while, the conversation wanders from the dragons to Arcana in general, and Achkby finally musters his courage to ask Elthan I the nature of the similarity between he and Elthan II.
"So, how are you and the other Elthan so similar?" he inquires. "Ar eyou merely twins, or is there something more linking the two of you?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-03, 03:25 PM
Darius

"Sure." Darius says. "I could use a bit of soap."

Ooh, soap, quite the treat.

Phasm
2005-10-03, 05:56 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Linda's offer of water awakens the half-asleep rogue, and she gratefully takes her waterskins to be filled. Now that she has water, Lissa takes out a bag of rations and sits on her bedroll to eat and drink. "Ahh... we are in your debt, Linda! It's so good not to be thirsty anymore!" Mindful of the still-limited water supply, Lissa is careful to drink sparingly.

"Good idea, Lumpy! A sponge bath is better than no bath. Thanks for the offer, but I've got my own soap." Lissa pulls a bar of pink soap and a rag out of her bag, and heads into the fungi to find a somewhat private spot to strip and wash, using as much of the drip-water on the floor and as little of the water in her waterskin as possible. She manages to wash her body, but Lissa's long hair is beyond the help of a sponge bath.

The gnome emerges freshly scrubbed and smelling of roses, except for her still-oily hair. "Much better! Now I won't stink up my bedroll. Sleep well, people. Wake me up for third watch." With that, Lissa settles into her bedroll once more... but she looks very interested in Achkby's question to the Elthans.


(OOC: I'm assuming that the water creation took place shortly after Lissa went to bed, so she wouldn't have fallen completely asleep yet. She won't fall asleep this time until one of the Elthans answers Achkby.)

Frojoe21
2005-10-03, 06:13 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I'll take a bath after we get out of here. I prefer having drinking water to a clean smell. Besides, it gives me something else to look foreward to after we get out of this hellhole."

Aeroz passes the time by having casual conversations with the newcomers to the party, and by practicing his swordfighting technique. With all of the spare time, he has nothing better to do.

Dr._Bob
2005-10-03, 10:02 PM
After a while, the conversation wanders from the dragons to Arcana in general, and Achkby finally musters his courage to ask Elthan I the nature of the similarity between he and Elthan II.

"So, how are you and the other Elthan so similar?" he inquires. *"Are you merely twins, or is there something more linking the two of you?"

"I suppose that we are twins after a fashion. Actually, it might be more accurate to describe the other Elthan as my clone or my doppleganger. He was created by ancient magicks evoked by Linda's mentor, an old man named Oden Homm. I must say that no one, least of all myself, expected the magick to be so successful and durable!

"Sometimes, however, I must confess that I can not remember which of us was the original, so similar is the other Elthan to me in almost every way ..."

...

Once most of the party has had a chance to rest (and in some cases, bathe), it is time to take stock of the food and water situation.

When everyone's resources have been pooled (though Thokk grumbles about having to share), there are 20 days worth of standard rations plus 6 days worth of "little people" rations. These must be shared among 11 "large" and 3 "small" members of the party. With some stretching, the rations should last 2 to 3 more days.

Amongst the entire group, there are 10 full-sized waterskins, and 4 small waterskins. Thanks to Linda's magic and the various creative ways of collecting water proposed by the party members, all of the skins are full. With strict rationing, the water will likely last a maximum of two days.

The situation could be worse, however, and with the entire party well-rested, there is a general feeling of optimism that had been sorely missing for several days now.

...

The party is gearing back up, preparing to continue its search for the Glimmersea, trying to decide which of the two small passages to take. Both lead downwards, hopefully toward the Sea, but both seem equally nondescript otherwise.

Sedryn mentions how odd it was not to have been disturbed for such a long period of time. One would think that a life-sustaining oasis such as this one would be occupied by someone or something ...

No sooner are the words out of his mouth than a faint chittering reaches your ears. The noises seem to be coming from back the way you came, and they seem to be getting louder ...

Frojoe21
2005-10-03, 10:24 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz's sword and dagger flash out as he begins to look around the oaisis, trying to find anything that could be causing the noise. If he finds nothing immediatley, he will keep his eyes on entrance to the cavern.

bhdrake
2005-10-03, 11:13 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy mutters a few choice curses in orcish, settling the last of his plate into place with a few metallic clicks. HIs unsavory utterings shift back to common after a bit, his voice no less harsh with rest, though he does seem to be in a much better mood, considering, "Right then.. time ta get moving." He rummages through his purse for a gold coin, glancing between the two 'exits', "Leave it ta Windrider."

With that, he flips the coin, catching it and squinting at the results. He then glances at one of the passages, indicating it with a wave of his arm, "That one."

He pauses only a moment longer, growling softly, "Thanks fer the Helping Hand.." before tossing the coin over his shoulder and heading in that direction.

(OOC: DR, if you'd rather flip a coin yourself, go for it. I put heads to left and tails to right, and came up with left. It certainly doesn't have to represent any influence from Shaundakal, Lumpy just likes to choose things randomly.)

Phasm
2005-10-04, 01:04 AM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Fortunately, Lissa donned her gray studded leather immediately upon waking up, and has already packed her gear in preparation for travel. *She lets loose with several pungent curses in Gnome, shoving her everburning torch into her belt and swinging her light crossbow into firing position. *The rogue turns to cover the entrance that the chittering is coming from, then begins slowly moving backward. *"I think that's our cue to get moving, folks."


(OOC: Draw loaded crossbow and move toward center of cavern. *Cover chittering tunnel, if that's allowed while moving. *[No, I don't have my PH handy.])

(OOC 2: Oops! Thanks, Erikkin. I fixed it.)

Erikkin
2005-10-04, 06:44 AM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Right, chance is good enough for me. This way everyone!" Fizahn shouts. Fizahn then imitates Lissa by sticking his torch into his belt, and pulls out his crossbow. He slowly follows Lumpy into the cave, watching for whatever is making the chittering noise.

OOC: Phasm, the chittering's coming from the big tunnel we came from, not either of the little tunnels, so there are two tunnels you could go through.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-04, 09:44 AM
Thokk

"Ach, lads, I dont think running be our best option right now! We are rested for the first time in a long while, and we can take out anything that comes our way. Lets take them all out!"

OOC: Defensive area guys, only one tunnel with baddies comming out of. Not that hard to have me and lumpy block off the entrance and everyone else sit in the back launching spells and arrows. As long as a healer is behind me and Lumpy healing often, we should be fine.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-04, 11:41 AM
Darius

Darius walks to Thokk's side, slightly behind him.

"You're right. Whatever that is, it can probably outrun us. Besides, I've been eager to make something in the Underdark into a pincushion for quite some time now." he says, unslinging his bow from his back.

Dr._Bob
2005-10-04, 01:08 PM
Lumpy, Lissa, and Fizahn make for the leftward exit to the cavern. Looking back, they see Thokk and Darius standing at the main entrance of the cavern (20 ft wide and high) preparing to make a stand.

Thokk stands behind his shield, with his bastard sword freshly polished and sharpened. Darius stands to Thokk's left and readies his bow; the tip of his arrow bursts into flame as he nocks it ...

Aeroz stands off to Thokk's right. His rapier and main-gauche are drawn and ready. Rest seems to have done the elf some good. He looks less peaked than he had previously.

The chittering noises continue to become louder and louder. By the sound of things, there might be a large number of creatures headed this way. Five? Fifteen? Five hundred? It's impossible to say ...

sacreddeamon
2005-10-04, 01:47 PM
Thokk

"HAHAHA! Today laddies, will be a good day for slaughter. Destorying my foes of the underdark, THAT is a true warriors way to die!"

"I prepare the alter for you!'

bhdrake
2005-10-04, 02:11 PM
Lumpy, Warrior

The squat orc turns, watching Thokk and the others set up to make a stand. He pauses, looking torn between making a clean break, and the prospect of fighting. Finally, he scowls, turning to rejoin the others. He offers Thokk a mild glare as he sidles up into position next to him, " I swear, if whatever that is ends up eating us all.. Hope the rest'a yer body's as thick as yer head."

Though he speaks harshly, his body language hardly mirrors his words, as he almost excitedly prepares for a fight. He unhooks his flail in a practiced, if graceless maneuver, raising it to ward his chest against whatever's coming.

I bet they walk on the ceiling, or fly, or something.

HempRope
2005-10-04, 04:23 PM
Achkby, Halfling

The armored Achkby scampers across the cavern to seize his spear from beside his bedroll, and moves over to stand behing the warriors, staying a good twenty feet behind them.
"I would flee, but I am here with you, friends. We shall triumph no matter what we face!" he cries.

Then he mutters grimly to Elthan I, "Well... if something too gruseome comes, I am gone, but I don't see that happening to day."

We must fight like dragons, with both strength and cunning.

"Hlal, grant me your favor and protection."

He casts a spell, and conjures a field of force to protect him.

"Are you well guarded?" he asks the Elthans, reflexively dropping back into Common as he levels his spear at the dark corridor.


Casting Mage Armor.
AC 18
HP 14

Elmorwen
2005-10-04, 04:59 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra sighs at the thought of battle, but drops into a fighting stance anyway.

Phasm
2005-10-04, 05:33 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Seeing her companions make a stand, Lissa scowls darkly and heads back in their direction... though not too far. Just enough to get a clear shot into the large tunnel opening. She mutters to herself in her native language. {I am surrounded by idiots with more muscle than sense. Baravar, Callarduran, please shield and guide us, for we sorely need Your help!}

With that, Lissa ***** her crossbow and aims for the large corridor.


(OOC: Move to get a clear shot into the tunnel opening and cover it.)

Erikkin
2005-10-04, 06:12 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Damned fighters, always thinking with their muscle! Just because there's someone to fight, doesn't mean you have to fight them! They don't even know what it is! It could just be a stupid beast!" Fizahn mutters these things to Lissa, but angrily turns around to face the oncoming threat. Moving parallel to Lissa, he too arms his crossbow, and prepares to fire it.

OOC: Moving up with Lissa, and trying to find a spot where he can get a clear shot. Also readying a shoot action.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-04, 06:31 PM
Thokk

"Ach, little ones! I have plenty of sense, lass, I just choose not to use it! Whatever we are fighting, its in my domain. Twill be a worthy death, and an enjoyable one too!"

"LETS GET READY"

"If ye be greenskins, I suggest ye stop now!"

"If ye be anything that goes bump in the night, prepare to be destroyed!'

OOC: HAHA, I know alot! Purple is now abyssal, because undercommon and terran are no more, at least not right now. Maybe next level...

Zeal
2005-10-04, 07:37 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih reaches back and strokes the hawk resting on his backpack. "Tell me if you see anything" he whispers to the avian predator as it takes flight. Hajih flashes a smile to his new companions before swinging a large crossbow from its hook on his backpack.

I don't like where this is heading, not one bit

(One of Hajih's hawk's two tricks, it will make a noise if it spots anything)

Phasm
2005-10-04, 08:21 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa double-takes as Thokk responds in her language. *"Great good gods! *You speak Gnome? *How come you didn't say anything before?" *She adds on to this in a low mutter. *"And as far as I'm concerned, the only good way to die is in my sleep, as a rich old lady with lots of adoring great-grandchildren catering to my whims."


(OOC: OK, I'm succumbing to peer pressure ;)
Purple = Common
Orange = Gnome
Red = Draconic
I realized how much easier the color-coding makes following conversations between posts.)

(OOC 2: Draconic color changed to red, since somebody in the OOC thread made a good point about that being the first color used.)

sacreddeamon
2005-10-04, 08:29 PM
OOC: Just one thing...
We may want to decide universally on a color per language. It will make things much easier to see. One color per language, and then regular black for actions and OOC comments. Right now it seems like we are all using Orange for Gnomish, we just need to define the others. I think it will help play alot.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-05, 01:13 AM
Darius

Darius begins whispering under his breath, his eyes slowly close.

"Tyr guide my arrows, let my enemies fall before me and let me strike true..." he says.

"When one has nothing left to live for, any day is a good day to die."

When he looks up, his eyes are shining with a strange look, the flames from his arrow flicker in them. His mouth twists into a grin. "I am coming, my brother."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-05, 05:01 AM
Linda looks at the tunnel the sounds are coming from and says to the party at large, wispering:
The sound indicates many enemies and with the echoes in this place we cannot say how many. Perhaps we should flee to one of the exits? Evading a fight is a prudent thing to do in such a dangerous place.

Phasm
2005-10-05, 11:40 AM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa replies to the tall mage in a low voice, eyes still on her crossbow. "Hey, I'm all for a strategic retreat. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Darius or Thokk are thinking any too clearly right now." She nods toward the laughing dwarf and the strangely grinning archer. "I may be a thief, but I don't leave my mates in the lurch. Even if they're showing a remarkable lack of common sense and self-preservation!" Lissa raises her voice slightly on the last sentence, so she can be clearly heard by said mates.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-05, 11:47 AM
Thokk

"Lass, I live to fight, I no longer have any purpose. This is my duty, let me do it."

OOC: King, you have no idea what I just said. I was replying in gnomish out of spite to our two gnomes :P

Dr._Bob
2005-10-05, 01:27 PM
The Elthans nod to Achkby, they are ready. Like the others, they position themselves behind and to the sides of Thokk and Lumpy as the chittering noises grow louder.

Hajih's hawk slips into the tunnel in order to scout out the situation, but ONE second later, the bird tears back out of the tunnel with a surprised "SQUAWK!?!" The bird loops around the cavern, then settles back down on Hajih's perch, looking distressed.

There isn't any time to comment on the bird's discomfiture. Thokk and Lumpy cry out, "Here they come!" and a few moments later, everyone can see the source of the chittering for him or herself ...

Giant ant-like creatures begin to pour out of the tunnel opening. Each one is roughly gnome-sized, with six limbs and shiny black chitinous bodies. They walk on their rear four legs, with an upright thorax and two free limbs - essentially they look like small insectoid centaurs. They appear to be carrying crude two-handed chopping instruments. There must be at least 20 of them, with more marching out of the tunnel every second ...

sacreddeamon
2005-10-05, 01:46 PM
Thokk

*Yelling Out in every language known*
"Ach, what be ye? State yerselves, we mean no harm, but if you attack us be warned!"


*Draws His bow, and readies an action to attack if needed. After shooting (if needed) Thokk will drop the bow and draw his Bastard Sword*

OOC: OK, looks like we are fighting Formains. Guessing they are workers right now, and perhaps some warriors and taskmasters mixed in. I am going to suggest we just form a wall, blockign off the enterance, so a limited number can get to us at once. If the melee people just stand their ground, and engange all who reach them while the artilary take out the larger foes, we should be fine.

Looks like lots more trophies for Thokk!

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-05, 02:32 PM
Elthan II

Ehh? Formain Workers? I suppose we might not be too far off from a hive of them then. Mybye we could get some aid from them, assuming they dont enslave us first.

"Thokk, I dont think talking to them will work too well, seeing as how they cant speak. Just, umm, try exuding a friendly atmosphere, or, something."

*Elthan then prepares to cast a spell, if the workers assume to attack.*

(OOC: A diplomacy or handle animal check should work to display non-hostility through body language.
Aslo, preparing to cast Blindness.)

bhdrake
2005-10-05, 05:02 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy quirks his head slightly as the formians emerge, clearly unfamiliar with them from his time in the underdark. With a resigned look, he drops one foot back, bracing against the rush, "And I said let's go, but no.. Everyone else wanted ta fight whatever random freak thing comes out of the tunnel. And now we're waist deep in giant ants. Just swell."

Whatever else Lumpy may be doing, exuding a friendly atmosphere certainly isn't one of them.

HempRope
2005-10-05, 05:22 PM
Achkby

"Antssss..." Achkby hisses in Common.

He is totally at a loss for a course of action, surrounded by a mob of peaceful but potentially deadly instectoids. He tenses up, obviously nervous, and tries to fend them away from himslef with the butt of his spear.

At Elthan's words, he tries to relax, but finds it hard, surrounded by a herd of entirely alien creatures.

Frojoe21
2005-10-05, 05:58 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz raises an eyebrow as the antlike beings enter the oaisis. Aeroz stands upright, not sheathing his weapons.

Just when I thought things could absolutley NOT get any stranger, we end up facing giant insects. I gotta quit drinking, or drink more, or whatever..

Phasm
2005-10-05, 06:46 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa's eyes grow huge, and she lets out a strangled squeak before biting her fist. *The gnome is visibly trembling. Bugs! *I HATE bugs! *Oh my gods, they're enormous! *Slowly, she removes her abused fist from her mouth and puts the hand back on her crossbow. *Lissa looks over at Elthan with a mixture of fear and incredulousness. *"Calm? *You want me to be calm, in the face of an invasion of giant bugs?!" *Darius and Thokk both receive deadly glares. *"We could've been safely out of here and away from the massive horde of giant bugs if it weren't for you two and your death-wishes. *If we live through this, I am so going to get both of you!" *She snorts at Lumpy's comment. *"Don't count me in with 'everyone else', Lumpy. *I would've been perfectly happy to beat feet out of here."

Despite her obvious fear, Lissa keeps her crossbow aimed at the nearest ant-thing, ready to fire if things turn ugly.


(OOC: *As you can see, Lissa has a bit of a problem with insects. ;) *Ready action to fire if the formians or whatever attack.)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-05, 09:09 PM
(OOC: Oops, the whole language thing is confusing me)

Darius

"They can't hear?" Darius say, then pauses for a few seconds... "Can they bleed?"

sacreddeamon
2005-10-05, 09:54 PM
Elthan II


"Thokk, I dont think talking to them will work too well, seeing as how they cant speak. Just, umm, try exuding a friendly atmosphere, or, something."





Thokk

"ach, ill be friendly when they will be dead. Fair enough? Its a compromise."

*Thokk will partially drop to a less threatening stance, but not a whole lot*

runehawk
2005-10-06, 07:12 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The rising din and the yells of his companions(packmates) jerk him out of his trance.

"Huuunnnhhhh" he gasps as he draws in a deep breath as he rises to a standing position and pants.

"The key........ The pinkskin is the key"

As his consciousness fully forms and he becomes aware of a disturbance in the cave and the yells of his packmates, he groans in weary.

Semuanya!!.. if these few are typical of their kind , pinksksins should have got themselves annihilated long ago... I barely leave them for a period and they get themselves into trouble again

Stuffing what he could grab of his gatherings into his backpack, he slings it onto his back and starts running. All the while shaking his head and musing:
Feh.. I should have brought a brood-mother along... Her skill in minding reckless hatchlings would be invaluable

Dr._Bob
2005-10-06, 10:50 AM
Thokk and Lumpy try to prevent the formians from entering the cavern, but the opening is too wide and the number of creatures too great. The formians march around the fighters like water flowing around rocks in a stream. Soon, each of you is surrounded by a swirl of shiny black formians.

The insects lightly touch each of you with their antennae, jostling you lightly as they pass. There must be easily dozens if not a hunded formians. As they move, each one clicks softly as the articulated plates of their carapaces rub against each other. Individually, the clicking is quite soft but, multiplied 100 fold, the noises blend into the chittering that announced their approach.

Soon it becomes clear that there is a pattern to their movements. The first set of formians marches toward the fungus forest and begins chopping the giant mushrooms with their cleavers. Their strokes are precise, and in short order they have divided the glowing mushrooms into perfect octahedrons, which are then carried back out of the cavern by other formians that are not carrying any tools. The "choppers" then move on to the next large mushroom ...

For the most part, the formians seem to ignore each of you, as if you were merely furniture. Soon there are two streams of formians - empty handed workers heading toward the forest and workers carrying the softly glowing octahedrons out of the cavern.

At one point, however, Thokk is overwhelmed by more than half a dozen formians that surround him and begin manipulating his armor. He feels a faint chirring vibration as they palpate his plate mail. He is about to start laying into them with his sword when they fall back and move back into line, heading for the mushrooms. Looking down, Thokk sees something amazing - his armor has been completely repaired!

Some of you find yourselves gently nudged off to one side. Lumpy, Aeroz, Lissa and Fizahn find themselves back to back surrounded by a sea of formians. The formians make no threatening movements but simply form a circle around the group of four, as if waiting for something ...

Phasm
2005-10-06, 11:15 AM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

The whites are now showing all around Lissa's eyes, and sweat is starting to bead on her forehead despite the chill of the cave. Her breathing starts to become fast and ragged as the formians press up against her. "Oh, Baravar save me... giant bugs! Giant bugs! Eeeee..." Lissa clutches at her crossbow and Aeroz's leg, clearly fighting to maintain some semblance of control. "Okay, Lissa, breathe. Deep breaths. Close your eyes and ignore the giant bugs..." She squeezes her eyes shut and tries to calm her breathing.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-06, 12:20 PM
Thokk

"Well shave my beard and call me a Gnome! I wasnt expecting this. Maybe I shall be friendly afterall!"

*Yelling to the four*

"Lads, it seems that they are actually not threatening. Ill stay ready, but for once I shall not start the fight"

*Puts bow away, and simply readies sword, non-threateneing*

Elmorwen
2005-10-06, 01:39 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra relaxes and is clearly relieved. She smiles when she sees the formians fix Thokk's armor. "Well," she says after he finishes speaking, "That makes these things friendlier than almost everything else in the Underdark. It's too bad they can't talk, otherwise I'd ask them for help."

Erikkin
2005-10-06, 04:23 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Oh yeah, real smart. Let's stay here to fight the giant ant things, but change our minds when they come! That's a great move! We just wasted time in our search for Sethra! Now that we know they're harmless, can we go?" Having said that, Fizahn puts away his weapons, and starts heading toward the smaller passages.

OOC: Just walking toward the passages. If they don't let him through, but don't seem like they want to kill him, he will tumble through them (+11 or 10). If they seem threatening as he approaches, he will step back and draw his "short sword."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-06, 06:11 PM
Linda smiles at the others and lowers her hands.
Yes, they appear to be friendly-formians would be creatures of Law and most conflicts indicate Chaos-I guess that is why they fixed Thokk's armor-not to be friendly but to fix an imperfection. Hopefully we can remain here until they flee and then continue our search.

Frojoe21
2005-10-06, 06:15 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz cross sheaths his two blades and waits for the formians next move. "Yeah, at least they're friendly. Lissa, put away your weapons, and the giant bugs'll go away."

Hearing Fizhan's remark, Aeroz inquires "Who is this Sethra? And why are you looking for him?"

HempRope
2005-10-06, 06:28 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Achkby starts walking over towards wherever Aeroz's conversation is taking place, wading through the ants and pushing ahead of him with his spearbutt.

Well, I gues those mushrooms are safe to eat... at least for these guys. Unless they're using them to make beds or something.

Erikkin
2005-10-06, 08:01 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Sorry, I thought someone would have explained it to you. Well, Sethra is an evil wizard, who we accidentally released in our explorations. We're now tracking him down to right our wrong. Also to settle a few grudges. A portal in the area where we thought he was led us here."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-06, 08:13 PM
There's something else Fizahn failed to mention: Sethra is a very capable necromancer. Infact, he was capable enough to preserve his spirit intact for centuries and now he's but a spirit that posesses others. That would make him notoriously difficult to track down and slay.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-06, 08:22 PM
Thokk

"Ach, and he has a relitivly nasty habit of rising bodies to get in our way, a great sacrialige to Moradin. Probally worships Nerul or Afflux, dark gods of death and demons..."

Frojoe21
2005-10-06, 08:23 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Well, this might be an incredibly odd coincidence, but we are looking for an artifact belonging to Sethra. When your lizardfolk friend mentioned the name, I thought it sounded familair. We are looking for a group of assasins carrying a weapon called the Kris. The man who employed us referred to it as 'The Kris of Sethra' "

Phasm
2005-10-06, 08:58 PM
Lissa, rogue

Eyes still shut, Lissa puts her crossbow away and releases her death-grip on Aeroz's leg. Between her deep-breathing exercises and keeping her eyes closed, the rogue seems a bit calmer now. She also looks quite interested in the current conversation.

"Well, I wanted excitement. I must say, you folks haven't disappointed in that department!" She manages a tight smile. "So, what do these assassins and necromancer look like... well, for the moment, in Sethra's case? It's always nice to know your enemies' faces!"

Frojoe21
2005-10-06, 09:16 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Lissa, remember those three women we were looking for back in the Golden Griffon? Those were probably the assasins. Nice ladies though. Its a shame that we might have to kill them."

bhdrake
2005-10-06, 09:26 PM
Lumpy

The orc warily watches the fomians that have him and the others cordoned off, hand still tight about his weapon, though he seems to have the presence of mind not to attack.

At first, he seems not to be paying much attention to the conversation, but at the mention of the women, he speaks up, still showing a touch of tension amidst the ant-men "Ya'll prolly have ta fight the drow fer the women, unless they knew some real neat tricks."

HempRope
2005-10-06, 09:34 PM
Achkby, Halfling

"Wait. Are you saying that the drow have captured the assassins? You said that yu were with them, but I didn't know they were captured..."

He looks around, confused.
"Or did I forget something again?"

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-06, 09:48 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan is smiling slightly, a rare occurance. He appears to be enjoying a chance to see an extra-planer species at work. He walks around and tries to find the best place to observe the formain work.*

Dr._Bob
2005-10-06, 10:29 PM
The chirrurrurr sounds continue, and when Linda looks down she realizes that her robe has been cleaned and mended. Likewise, Darius, Sheyra, and the Elthans all find that their clothes and boots have been repaired and made almost as good as new. The formians' light touch is almost feather soft, but they seem to be quite good at making general repairs. The harvesting of the luminescent mushrooms into perfect geometric shapes continues ...

When Fizahn starts moving towards one of the exits, the formians around him gently nudge and bump him back into the center of the circle. He tries dodging between them and hopping over them, but each time, the formians gently nudge him back toward the others (or perhaps they are nudging the others towards him - same result).

In order to join the conversation, Achkby wades through the formians, who part to make way for him. Soon, Aeroz, Achkby, Fizahn, Lissa, and Lumpy all find themselves standing together in a perfect 20 ft diameter circle, otherwise unmolested in the sea of formian workers. The workers that form the border of the circle stare at them unblinkingly while their antennae wave gently ...

Frojoe21
2005-10-06, 10:38 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Ooookaaaaaay. What now? We are surrounded by giant bugs. Any idea what they want?"

HempRope
2005-10-06, 10:52 PM
Achkby, Halfling

"Do they have superiors? Things that can actually speak? If they are waiting for anyhting besides more formians, I think we should try to leave. Do you think if we all move at once, maybe they'll let us go? They could just be trying to keep us together in a single place because we're a sort of... imperfection to them..." he trails off with that, hoping that someone will have something insightful to say...

bhdrake
2005-10-06, 10:57 PM
Lumpy

"I did say WERE. How the hell do ya think I ended up wandering around here alone? Liked the decor so much I decided ta stay?"

Lumpy grits his fangs as he responds, his gaze starting to scan the encircling formians like a caged animal. Twisting his grip on the haft of his flail, he paws the stone floor with one foot, evoking both a metallic scrape, and an image reminiscent of a bull preparing to charge.

"Yeah, circle. That was cute fer about five seconds. Take yer stupid mushrooms and get out'a the way."

Frojoe21
2005-10-06, 11:10 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Calm down Lumpy. Its just like bees. If you dont bug them, they don't bug you. But the thing about repairing Dwarfy's armor or Linda's robes really confuse me." Aeroz jests as he awaits the ant's next move. "Man I wish Miles was here. I'm fairly sure he could speak ant. Anyone here speak ant or have a clue about what is going on?"

Phasm
2005-10-06, 11:50 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa seems to be coping okay by keeping her eyes closed, but her posture and voice still betray a great deal of nervousness. "Huh, they were assassins? I bet they were pretty good, actually. The best folk in the Business always look harmless and act trustworthy." She flinches back as an antenna brushes her arm. "Nnnnnh... um, so the giant bugs repaired armor and clothes? How strange! And does anyone have an idea as to why some of us are in this stupid circle and some aren't?"


(OOC: Remember, Lissa's had her eyes closed for a while to ward off giant-insect-phobia. She didn't see the mending going on.)

runehawk
2005-10-07, 12:21 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Bursting out of the foliage, the lizardkin sees the source of the strange chittering and his packmates herded apart by them.

..Ants!?..
The befuddlement clearly showing in his face.
Giant ones.. ......I do not sense them disturbing the balance so they're not abominations

Seeing droves of them hacking the growth towards him, He decides to move sideways in the cavern. Away from the formians and the area they're interested in and sneak up as close on his packmates as possible and study the situation further.

Frojoe21
2005-10-07, 09:08 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

After hearing Lissa's remark, Aeroz comments "Yeah, I know. I used to be one. A long, long time ago."

bhdrake
2005-10-07, 10:41 AM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy snorts at Aeroz' comment, "Wrong. they're bugging me already, and I ain't done nothing ta them yet..."

He adjusts his stance again, impatiently, continuing "but if the stupid things don't move, I swear I'm gonna."

Dr._Bob
2005-10-07, 11:07 AM
Eventually, Hajih is also nudged and jostled by the workers over into the circle. "Umm, hi everyone! It looks like these ant-people want me to join your little party here!"

As the mushroom harvesting continues, a number of larger formians enter the cavern. Unlike the workers, these formians are almost human-sized and appear to have thicker carapaces. Instead of "hands", their first set of limbs end in large, serrated claws.

The eight larger formians move through the sea of workers, who make way for them. The larger formians ignore Thokk, Daruis and the others, instead heading directly toward the circle enclosing Achkby, Hajih, Aeroz, Lissa, Lumpy, and Fizahn.

The worker formians continue about their business ...

sacreddeamon
2005-10-07, 11:39 AM
Thokk

*Speaking All Known Languages*
"Ach, whatever ye may be, can ye help us or tell us how to get out of yer way?"

*Thokk is being abnormally polite, possible because his armor was fixed, or he does not want to start trouble (unlikely) or perhaps even he admires the formains, with everyone in a strict ridged part of society...*

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-07, 12:39 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan is happily observing the formain work. He looks behind him to see how the others are doing. He then see's the larger formain moving forward.*

Hmm, it would appear that the taskmasters have come to deal with us now... Mybye we could get some verbal help here. Wait a second... those claws.. Taskmasters dont have claws, only.... sh*t

*Elthan shouts out urgently*
"Everyone, move now. Move to the nearest exit as fast as possible. Don't wait, don't fight, just run."

Damn it! We've steped into the anthill and now we're about to get bit!

*Elthan procedes to move towards the left exit of the cavern, hoping that the rest of the group will choose the same direction.*

(OOC: You know how there are those ants that you can watch all day and they'll never bother you, and then there are those ants that if you get close enough to, they'll jump on your leg and bite? Well, we've encountered the former, now the later is here, and we didn't just casually walk by them, we've stomped right on top of thier mound.)

Phasm
2005-10-07, 02:22 PM
Lissa, rogue

At Elthan's shout, Lissa's eyes pop open. *Upon seeing the tallfolk-sized, clawed formians, she can't hold it in any longer. *She shrieks, the incredibly high-pitched, ear-piercing shriek that only a smallfolk's vocal cords can produce. *Even as she screams, the gnome is whirling around, grabbing hold of Lumpy's armor, and literally climbing up the surprised half-orc. *Once she reaches his shoulders, Lissa leaps for dear life, over the worker formians in Elthan II's direction.


(OOC: I don't have Tumble, but I do have Climb and Jump! *Sorry, bhdrake; Lumpy's the highest point she can reach. *If he decides not to cooperate, I'm sure DR can modify the skill checks accordingly.)

runehawk
2005-10-07, 02:25 PM
Lizardkin Druid

Peering from his hidden position, the eyes of the lizardkin narrow as he spots the new ant-giants and the claws they sport.

Those are not mere workers..
He looks for Sheyra and his neck slows in its bulging up and down.
Semuanya be praised.. the key.. the bait to our hunt is unharmed and.... safe.... for...now
He spots Fizahn among the group being cordoned off...
The little pinkskin..
Memories of 2 other pinkskins rise unbidden, a warrior with the heart of a drgaon and a pinkskin who embraced the Eternal Balance...
No.. he mentally announces. His face hardening as he rises and casts a spell that would delay the ant-giants.

OOC: we'll make a honorary druid of you, KoG. I cast entangle centred around the soldiers. let's hope this works.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-07, 03:54 PM
Darius

Darius runs to the Lizardkin and whips out his bow, he spins around to face the soldiers.

"If the ants attack, I'll launch an arrow into your spell." he says, going over a plan in his head. "That'll give them a little trouble... especially if all the mushrooms catch on fire."

Darius nocks a flaming arrow to his bow and pulls back the string, he readies an attack to fire but waits until the formians attack him or any of his companions.

HempRope
2005-10-07, 04:38 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Achkby tenses up, ready to make a run for it, waiting to see what the ants do to those who do try and escape. His eyes narrow, and dart around nervously, as he tries to watch both the larger, advancing insects, his running companions, and the now-sorcerous Lizardkin.

I wish so much that I could merely wing my way to safety...

After an indecisive moment, he tries to attune himself to the magic of the half-orc, trying to anticipate his effect.

Spellcraft @ +8 to figure out Ss's spell...

bhdrake
2005-10-07, 10:49 PM
Lumpy

Looking extraordinarily dumbfounded by Lissa's manuever, Lumpy does little more than stand there for a moment. With all the running, shouting, and assorted other chaos going on, the orc quickly regains his bearings, glancing towards the ant-warriors. His expression immediately hardens, from his displeased scowl to a determined.. well, scowl. He's evidently had enough, and his husky voice mirrors that, "I'd get ready ta run if I was ya."

His shoulder drops, a chuff more worthy of an animal than a man escaping his throat, as he charges in the general direction of the others, looking to bowl a path through the workers.

(OOC: I don't really know the mechanics involved here, so do what you have to and we'll see how it goes. Those of you who aren't giant half-orcs might want to follow through the path he clears, or push on his back or something.)

Zeal
2005-10-08, 02:05 AM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Taking a hefty swig from his flask, Hajih draws his two weapons. His jacket tails fluttering behind him, he looks towards the warriors and promptly moves as fast as he can in the other direction."Well folks, I ain't staying here, them claws arenít made for a banquet."

Erikkin
2005-10-08, 07:31 AM
Fizahn, gnome:

Fizahn takes one look at the warrior's claws, and redoubles his efforts to get out. He draws his "short sword" and starts dodging among the ants again, trying to get to the left passage they originally decided on. "This is just great! I knew we should have left when we had the chance!"

Dr._Bob
2005-10-08, 08:41 AM
The lizardman gestures, and tendrils rise up out of the stone, entangling the formian warriors, along with dozens of workers. Achkby nods appreciatively at the lizardman's magic.

Lissa leaps from Lumpy's shoulders into the sea of workers. Lumpy chooses to bulldoze his way through the workers instead, knocking them aside like bowling pins. The others (Aeroz, Fizahn, Hajih, and Achkby) follow in Lumpy's wake. The workers resist passively, slowing your progress, but they do not otherwise show aggression.

Two of the warriors wriggle out of the entangling tendrils and continue their singleminded pursuit of the chaotic members of the party.

The rest of the formians continue harvesting mushrooms as if nothing is happening. They continue to ignore Thokk, Darius, Sheyra, Linda, the Elthans, Sedryn, and the lizardman.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-08, 02:31 PM
Darius

Darius rushes to the exit nearest to the fleeing party members. "Come quickly! he yells.

(OOC:Readying another action, this time to fire an arrow at either of the formian warriors if they attack a party member)

HempRope
2005-10-08, 07:49 PM
Achkby, Haflling

Once Achkby brakes loose of the workers, he dashes towards the entrance at top speed, pumping his little legs quickly so as not to fall behind.

"Those claws don't look too friendly..." he starts, but trails off, hoping he needn't dwell on them anymore.

"I suppose they might not be friendly, but I don't think I want to find out, actually!"

Phasm
2005-10-09, 12:22 AM
Lissa, rogue

The screaming continues as Lissa leaps into the sea of formians, though now she sounds as much angry as scared. She wriggles and squirms through the crowd of workers in Elthan and Darius' direction at top speed, shrieking truly vile curses in Gnomish.

bhdrake
2005-10-09, 02:46 AM
Lumpy

"Move!"

With a frustratedly muffled roar, Lumpy continues driving through the crowd of workers, throwing the occasional glance back towards the status of the warriors still approaching.

Frojoe21
2005-10-09, 11:18 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz keeps moving away from the antlike things asking "Why are they after us?"

Elmorwen
2005-10-09, 03:23 PM
Sheyra

"Their kind of order is completely without mercy," Sheyra says in response to Aeroz. She makes her way through the formians and towards the tunnerl.

Dr._Bob
2005-10-09, 06:24 PM
Scrambling through the formians is like wading against a strong current, but the entangle effect manages to slow down the formian warriors enough to allow the chaotic characters to make it to the small exit toward the left of the chamber.

The other characters have less difficulty making it to the opening. Neither the workers nor the warriors interfere with their progress.

As you back into the tunnel, Darius keeps the opening covered with his bow. The two warriors who escaped total immobilization eventually make it to the opening, but they do not pursue.

None the worse for the encounter with the formians (and in some cases cleaner), you work your way down an irregular tunnel. This tunnel is narrower than others you've been in. On average the passage is 5 ft wide, but in many places it is even narrower. On occasion, some of you are forced to doff your backpacks in order to squeeze through.

Maintaining a constant downhill grade, you follow the recommendations of Hajih and Lumpy at any decision point. When the two do not agree, a coin is flipped.

The darkness and tight quarters are oppressive. Perhaps more so in contrast to the openness and relative light of the fungus cavern. The air smells damp, and the ground is wet again. A hint of saltiness suggests that the Sea might not be far away.

After another long mind-numbing period of marching (who knows how much time has passed?), the party agrees to break for a meal. There isn't any widening of the passageway, so everyone just sits down where they are in a single file line.

Thokk, scouts ahead but returns quickly with news. He has encountered some light up ahead and some voices that might have been speaking Undercommon. Everyone quickly douses their light sources and stays as quiet as possible. Once everyone's eyes become dark adapted, the party creeps forward until a faint glow is indeed visible up ahead ...

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-09, 06:41 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan tries to stay as quiet as possible. He wispers in his mind, afraid his thoughts might even be too loud.*

If we stay quiet enough, mybye they'll just pass us by. I just hope that no-one stands up like an idiot and announced where we are. I wonder what could be down this far anyway?

HempRope
2005-10-09, 06:47 PM
Achkby

The halfling hunkers down against the cold rock, edging farther into the middle of the group. He sticks close to the ground so as not to be seen, and pulls his wand from its holster.

What now? I don't know if we can take another fight... do they have waystations in the Underdark?

"Can you see anything?" he hisses softly to the people at the front.

bhdrake
2005-10-09, 08:09 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy spends a good deal of the inital parts of the trek growiling a tirade about picking fights in the Underdark (directed mostly at Thokk, Darius, and Aeroz), but eventually settles down into quiet brooding. He offers what he know in directing the party, but when the time comes to flip a coin, he does so fervently, and always with a muttered thanks to the 'Helping Hand', but makes a point of not explaining further.

---

When news comes of the lights and voices, he speaks up quickly, "If we can get close enough, I can prolly tell ya if it's undercommon or not." He flexes an arm, though, the metallic raspings of his armor serving a reminder that getting close isn't as easy as it sounds, "If."

Phasm
2005-10-09, 08:32 PM
Lissa, rogue

Once the high-strung rogue has recovered from the shock of being surrounded by 'giant bugs', she apologizes to Lumpy for using him as a jumping-off point. "I'm just so used to climbing when I'm being cha... er, in danger. I guess my instincts took over. Anyway, I'm really sorry about that." Lissa explains that she 'had an unfortunate experience' with giant insects in the past, and the formians resembled insects quite a bit.

The gnome almost fades into the darkness around the party, in her dark gray armor and cloak. Lissa doesn't seem bothered by the tight quarters- probably because five feet is a perfectly fine height for a ceiling when you're only a bit over three feet tall yourself. She holds her loaded crossbow in both hands, edging along the right-hand wall. Only the faintest whisper of leather and cloth on rock, the soft sound of breathing, tell where she is.

(OOC: Lissa's being stealthy, so roll for Hide and Move Silently.)

sacreddeamon
2005-10-10, 11:37 AM
Thokk

"Ach, whatever we shall find, Ill be sure to KILL"

Dr._Bob
2005-10-10, 11:48 AM
Lissa and Aeroz squeeze past the other members of the party and silently advance to the end of the tunnel, which opens onto a terrace overlooking a large multi-tiered chamber.

The chamber appears to be a shallow sinkhole perhaps 200 feet across, with concentric terraces ringing a central sunken area that is roughly 30 feet in diameter. About a dozen openings are scattered all around the walls at various levels. Each terrace is roughly 5 ft high and 20 ft wide. It would be easy to jump up or down from terrace to terrace. The vertical distance from the highest terrace to the lowest is only probably about 20 feet.

Crawling out onto the ledge, Lissa and Aeroz peek over the edge, down onto a sinister scene. A flat stone in the middle of the central area serves as a crude altar of sorts. Everburning braziers at the four corners of the altar cast a gory reddish glow over the central area, leaving deep shadows over the periphery of the chamber.

Eight drow warriors, dressed in black leather, form a ring around the altar, facing outward, with crossbows aimed upward. They scan the periphery of the chamber with military precision while two other drow chain a half-naked humanoid to the stone by his ankles and wrists. Lissa and Aeroz keep their heads down and are not spotted by the drow.

When the drow are finished, they leave the chamber silently, backing out cautiously with their crossbows covering the other entrances as they exit.

Once the drow have left, Lissa and Aeroz retrieve the others. Soon the entire party is lying face down on the ledge, peering down onto the humanoid chained to the slab of stone ...

There is an old folk belief that every person on the surface has a counterpart in the Underdark. Perhaps there is more to the old wives' tale than you thought because, even though the humanoid lying stretched out on the stone has the silver hair and ebony skin of a drow, he otherwise looks an awful lot like Miles (your guide from Ingdal's Arm to Velprintalar). Even from across the room, the resemblance is striking ...

The chained drow bleeds from a number of small cuts and burns. Apparently he has been tortured. His eyes are closed and his lips move as if praying ...

sacreddeamon
2005-10-10, 12:23 PM
Thokk

*Pulling out longbow, noching an arrow, and letting it fly aimed at the Drows Forehead, Coup de Grace if possible*

"Death to all Drow"

*Turning to the others*

"He was drow, enough of a reason for me to kill him, lads. By the looks of it, he is better off me killing him then whatever they are going to do to him"

Phasm
2005-10-10, 12:57 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa whirls around and glares at Thokk as the arrow goes whizzing by. "You stone-headed fool!", she hisses in an irate whisper. "Think! If we rescued him, he just might be grateful enough to guide us! Baravar knows we could use a native guide! Sure, he's a member of an evil race, but that's what we've got Sedryn for." The gnome points a gray-gloved finger at the cleric. "For all we know, the fellow down there is getting tortured for not being evil. At the very least, we should have our resident cleric make sure... if the drow lives." Lissa shakes her head and turns away. "Dwarves. Gods, give me strength."

Frojoe21
2005-10-10, 01:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Have some foresight will you Lissa? All drow are treacherous feinds. He's better off if we kill him. Besides, we need to get to those assasins, get the Kris back, give it to Baran and be on our happy way. I dont like having a wanted sign with my face on it. Wottworte's dead, and I'm not going to risk anyone else."

Dr._Bob
2005-10-10, 03:27 PM
When Thokk nocks his arrow, Sedryn slams a gauntleted hand into Thokk's arm, spoiling his aim. The arrow soars off toward the far side of the cavern, clattering away into the darkness.

"What in the Hells (Lathander forgive my language!) do you think you're doing, dwarf?" he hisses angrily.

"You would murder a helpless, unarmed man in distress simply based on the color of his skin and hair and call yourself a 'hero'?

"I have known dwarves in my day and generally found them to be as stout of heart as they were brave in combat. You on the other hand are nothing but a bloodthirsty coward. You are a disgrace to your clan and I am ashamed to walk with you!"

Sedryn spits on the ground.

Erikkin
2005-10-10, 03:34 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"It doesn't matter if he's a drow! A guide's a guide and we could use one to speed up your recovery of the kris you talk about and our confrontation with Sethra! Even if he is evil, we saved his life, and with enough of a guard on him and an advance scout we could avoid any traps he tried to lead us into! Lissa has a point with Sedryn being able to tell if he's evil! And thank you Sedryn for spoiling Thokk's already lousy aim! But now that we're known, we have to act quickly!"
Fizahn jumps down from his vantage point, and starts scrambling to where the drow captive is.

Frojoe21
2005-10-10, 03:35 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sedryn. They chose to worship a demon because they wanted power. They built portals to the abyss to go to their goddess. They are evil Sedryn, and they are deceitful. You cant trust them" Seeing Fizhan's determination, Aeroz sighs, draws his rapier and follows the gnome.

bhdrake
2005-10-10, 04:19 PM
Lumpy

The orc snorts derisively at Aeroz, "Foresight? Yer slowly starving ta death in inhospitable ground NOW, and all ya can think about is MAYBE not dying on some executioner's block down the road? And SHE ain't showing foresight? Compared ta who? You? That's moronic."

Lumpy begins working his way down the terraces, towards the drow, though his heavy armor and flat-footedness keep him behind the others

Frojoe21
2005-10-10, 04:51 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Show some appreciation buddy. We coild have left you with those grimlocks. Now, if you are gonna be part of this little troupe, I suggest you keep your attitude in check."

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-10, 05:03 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan shrugs his shoulders and heads down with the other two to help the captive.*

runehawk
2005-10-10, 05:23 PM
Lizadrkin Druid

The lizardkin walked unhurriedly from the ant-giants as he realised they were not pursuing. Deciding he'd never see ants in the same way again. He watched them for a while more before following the fast-moving party, wondering if he'd encounter them again.

On the long trek that followed, he followed at the end serving as rearguard, his darkvision allowing him to not be dependant on the corrupt enchantments that lit the way for the pinkskins. He continuously watched out for any foes and signs of pursuit from behind. On occasion the pinkskin magic-user who offered to aid him in pinkspeech dropped back to talk to him. He learned that he was an incredible distance away from the hunting grounds and only the knowledge that Sethra was close kept him focussed and willing to remain in this deep subterranean realm.

When the other spotted a light ahead and went off to scout ahead. He squatted and re-arranged his backpack. Wrapping and storing the strange plant-bits in bits of cloth, examining them. (OOC: DR, lemme know if i should just toss it or if i can figure out what their uses are. thanks)

He was interrupted by the return of the scouts and the party crept to a ledge and peered over at a figure tied to a rock below.

He hisses softly in disgust as they began to argue in typical pinkskin custom. Peering over to study the creature further..
So that is the creture they call 'dr-ow'..

In shape and size it looks just like a pinkskin but it's hide and hair are different in color..
A black variety of pinkskin.. a blackskin..

As the others discuss to kill it or save it, the growling of his stomach serves to remind him of his hunger.
...mmm... How does blackskin taste like?
Turning back to look at the others, he shakes his head deciding that the other pinkskins simply would be frightened.
As the others trudge off to the blackskin, he shakes his head and rises from his squat.

One more pinkskin to mind...
This promises to be a long..long hunt
It falls to me then to discover what the pinkskin was tied up and left for
He remains at the terrace and begins to study the cavern carefully, drawing a barbed dart and holding it ready.

Phasm
2005-10-10, 05:28 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa smiles up at Sedryn. "Thank you, Sedryn." Aeroz receives an exasperated look as the party starts climbing down. "Oh yeah, all drow are evil, just like all elves are paragons of virtue and all half-orcs are unthinking brutes?" Lissa snorts expressively. "Really, Aeroz. Take a look at your current company. I traveled with a half-orc for a long time, and I learned a lot about generalizations from her. She was a bloody good warrior, and more honest than a lot of 'civilized' folk I've met. Bit rough around the edges, sure, but a good person to have on your side all the same." She pauses, gauging a tricky jump, then continues once she's on the next ledge. "The detect evil spell is a useful thing. If the drow comes up evil, I'll happily shoot him. But until we know for sure, it's just plain foolish to throw away a potential ally."

HempRope
2005-10-10, 06:41 PM
Achkby, Halfling

"Be careful!" Achkby shouts in a hoarse whisper. "Even though the other drow have retreated, it could still be a trap!"

He shakes his head, and starts awkwardly clambering down the terraces. "This is insane. Bloody dwarves and their racism," he mutters under his breath.

He stops half of the way down, with his sling drawn, and looks around for anything unfriendly.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-10, 08:01 PM
Darius

Darius keeps quiet, after his strange fury he seems tired and worn out. Damn it all to hell... I acted like an idiot, as usual... I could've gotten even more people killed... and for what? Glory, honor, something like that? Doesn't even exist if you ask me... I'm staying out of this arguement.

Darius holds his bow loosely in his left hand, grinding his teeth as he follows the party slowly.

bhdrake
2005-10-10, 08:56 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy rolls his eyes, though he seems otherwise more than content to ignore Aeroz. He does spare Lissa a glance, "I'd be real careful letting past experience color yer view'a half-orcs." He leaves it at that, focusing on clearing the ledges, a fairly difficult task for a flat-footed orc in full-plate.

Phasm
2005-10-10, 10:12 PM
Lissa, rogue

The rogue replies in a cheerful voice, her eyes on the stone before her as she examines it for traps."Oh, I'm always careful. I don't really trust anyone, you know. Well, possibly my dog, but he's not here right now." Lissa winks at Lumpy and skips across the checked ground, humming a bawdy drinking song. Either she's incredibly confident or insane... possibly both. It's hard to tell with the mercurial gnome.

bhdrake
2005-10-10, 11:40 PM
Lumpy

The orc murmers softly in response, reflexively, "Good eating, dog."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-11, 06:45 AM
Linda follows the group, quite relieved at having escaped the Formians. She probably is more relieved at having escaped a confrontation than having escape a gruesome fate.
Not being the swift and silent type, she tries to stay at the back of the group so as not to alert anyone to their presence but when the discussion about wether to kill the drow begins, she steps forth:

Wanton killing is only murder Thokk. Even if you do kill an evil being, it is always an evil act. Try to kill only when other methods of resolving the problem would be impossible. I for one would welcome a guide out of this place-and I'd would like to heal this man just to hear his story. If his words do not suffice after we've done so you can do whatever you want with him but I will not have a part in killing a helpless man nor will I allow one to be slain without a fair chance of explaining himself.
Now, I posess some healing magic. I can go heal him if you sneaky types search out for traps around him.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 10:47 AM
Thokk

"Lad, I will forgive ye once for hitting me, but that is the last time, next time you do that I will split you in two. Drow are evil, in my life I have slain more drow intent on destorying my clan and sacrifing them to dark gods then years you have lived! If anything, they are going to kill this dark one and sacrifce him. If we could take him with us with the garuntee we would get caught, I MIGHT follow that, lad, just because it would quash their plans and I would be able to 'interrogate' this one here. Being that that is NOT the case, he is better off dead. Belive me, that is as much compassion I can offer for his kind. Now, if you cannot offer me a plan, I will cleanly and painlessly end his life. What do you have, lad?"

Dr._Bob
2005-10-11, 01:07 PM
"My plan is to defend those incapable of defending themselves and to help those in need," Sedryn replies. "If this offends you, dwarf, it is no concern of mine."

Lissa and Fizahn scramble down to the stone altar with quick, surefooted leaps. Aeroz follows with his rapier drawn.

The lizardman stays where he is, overlooking the entire cavern from his vantage point. Achkby stands on one of the middle platforms, scanning the area defensively as well. Seeing this, Elthan I readies his crossbow and also takes up a tactical position on one of the high terraces.

The others slowly make their way down the ledges toward the central area. Lumpy, in particular, finds the footing treacherous.

The drow continues to lie still, eyes closed as if he is unaware of his surroundings. His lips move silently. On visual inspection, the manacles and chains binding him to the rock appear to be conventional. Black stains on the rock testify to the fact that the altar has been used previously and often.

The three rogues stand back from the altar as Sedryn casts detect evil. Sedryn closes his eyes, murmuring a prayer to Lathander, then opens his eyes ...

"ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

Sedryn clutches his temples and collapses to the ground, writhing in agony. "So ... much ... evil ... So ... close ..." he gasps.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 01:58 PM
Thokk

"Ach, and that evil is the DROW. And you have now wasted my time."

*takes defense stance, Draws bow and readies to attack if something should appear*

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-11, 02:05 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan walks over to the drow.*
I doubt that a single dorw could eminate an evil arua powerfull enough to blind a priest. Most likely its this area. I can imagine the arua a temple of evil would give off.
If this one is evil, lets see what evil has to say.

"Excuse me, Sir. Drow, but are you awake? I would like to inquer as to how you arrived in such a position."

Erikkin
2005-10-11, 03:41 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Well of course a drow altar is going to be evil, we should have thought of that! We should move him first before trying again.! Let's get to it Lissa." Fizahn produces some lock picks from a package in his backpack and starts examining the manacles. After justifying that it would be harmless to unlock them, he sticks the lock pick in and begins fiddling with them. "Someone might want to check his wounds and make sure it's safe to move him." Fizahn continues working at the lock, by his hurried motions, you can tell he's eager to be out of here.

OOC: Search and pick lock. Not taking 20.

runehawk
2005-10-11, 03:56 PM
Lizardkin druid
Hearing a cry, the druid looks down to see a pinkskin, one of the strangers collapsing just after casting a spell..

Semuanya.. Now.I'm needed to revive him with my herbs

He furrows his brow in thought..
But first..

He recites the words of a simple prayer to the balance to see the auras of magic around him.

OOC: Cast detect magic in a cone and concentrate. Scan the cavern and altar. Move if not in range of opposite walls altar. Can i examine the ceiling as well?

Phasm
2005-10-11, 04:57 PM
Lissa, rogue

"Sedryn!", Lissa exclaims. "Oh no! Are you all right? Stupid question, Lissa, he just screamed in pain, of course he's not all right. Um, just hang in there and we'll get out of here as soon as we can, okay?" With a concerned look and a pat on the cleric's armored shoulder (now that he's on the ground, she can actually reach his shoulder for once), Lissa gets out her own set of lockpicks and goes to help Fizahn with the manacles. "Yeah, you're right, Fizahn. This accursed altar is probably soaked in evil." She wrinkles her nose at the bloodstains, nimble fingers still working at a lock. "Not to mention other things. Yecch. This place reeks."


(OOC: Assist Fizahn with the search and open lock checks.)

HempRope
2005-10-11, 05:47 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Achkby remains above the rest of the party, surveying as much of the room as he can. Occasionally, he glances uneasily over his shoulder to see if anyone is sneaking up beind him, but tries to keep watching outwards.
He watches uneasily as Sedryn casts the spell, and shivers as he watches the man crumple. He nervously puts his sling back on his belt, and once again pulls his wand out.

"Keep me covered, Elthan," he calls quietly to the first of the twins.

As he watches the other smallfolk work at the altar, a thought drifts across his mind, At the very least, we probably shouldn't kill the Drow in this place. It would be best to get him away from a place so close to the evil Gods of the Underdark...

Elmorwen
2005-10-11, 06:12 PM
Sheyra

Sheyra rolls her eyes at Thokk's overt racism. "The Mulhorandi murdered my family," she tells him, "But that doesn't give me the right to kill them on sight, nor does it make them all evil. Stay there and pout if you want, but I'm going to go help."

She hops down from the ledge and walks over towards Sedryn and tries to help him stay standing.

Frojoe21
2005-10-11, 06:37 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Ya may want to take into consideration that maybe it is the drow thats evil? Or maybe its one of those freaky rituals I was warned about." Aeroz remarks as Sedryn grasps his temples. The elf keeps his rapier close to the drow's throat, bracing for the worst. "If you guys wanna free him, go ahead but make it quick. I obviously cant stop you. But I'm just saying it's a bad idea"

Zeal
2005-10-11, 06:44 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

"Not all Drow are executed for being good, some are sacrificed for personal gain, or simply because they're weak" He takes a quick sip from his flask before turning to Aeroz. "'Course, Iím not opposed to making a healthy dent in that Drow's skull if he shows any sign of betraying us." To emphasise his point he brandishes his hammer in the drows direction.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 07:19 PM
Thokk

"Lass, It is called a book of grudges. Honor demands of you that you revenge your clan. You refusing to do so markes you a yellow coward and a disgrace to yer ancestors! My ENTIRE CLAN was destroyed in a single night of bloodshed, probally brought on by HIS kind. I have avanged my ancestors tenfold, yet I demand more. He is evil, and he is better off dead no matter what YOU would like to do with him. I see ONE other possible supporter of you, lass. Ye have to the count of zero before I make him shorter by a head"

HempRope
2005-10-11, 07:36 PM
Achkby, Halfling

"Thokk! calls down Achkby.

"Restrain yourself a little while more, please. I am afraid that we may merely assist the evil here if we were to kill the Drow on this altar."

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 07:48 PM
Thokk

"Ach, good point lad! We will gag him, take him off the alter, and then kill him! I knew ye had in in yerself!

*takes out a lenght of rope, foldes it over, and gets ready to gag the drow with it*

bhdrake
2005-10-11, 08:07 PM
Lumpy

The orc snorts at all the assorted arguing, finally clearing the last ledge and moving up after the gnomes. he glances back up at Thokk on the higher ledges, "Evil or not, I don't really care, but if ya get a chance ta scrounge up some information, ya don't skip it."

He shifts, watching the two gnomes work, before clearing his throat to address the drow in rumbling undercommon, "Hey, I've got questions for you, and since your time on the mortal coil looks to be coming to an end either way, it'd be nice for some answers.. His hand drifts down, settling on his flail, a fangy smirk tracing across his lips briefly, as if he draws confidence from the weapon.

HempRope
2005-10-11, 08:13 PM
Achkby, Halfling

Well, at least I've slowe dhim down...

"Oi! I didn't say I wanted to kill him, too," calls down Achkby, "all I meant is that if we do end up sending him shuffling off, then we shouldn't do it here!"

"Idiodic murderer," he mutters to himself, hopefuly too quite fro even Elthan I to hear it.

Then he checks over his shoulder,a gain, and goes back to watching for something unfortunate to come their way.
Though still keeping an eye on the proceedings by the dias.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 08:23 PM
Thokk

"Ach, you wanna kill him, and you legitly gave me a good idea, lad. First move him, and THEN kill him. Brilliant!"

Phasm
2005-10-11, 09:16 PM
Lissa, rogue

Still working at the manacles, Lissa sighs expressively and rolls her eyes at Thokk's blustering.

I do hope somebody can calm that dwarf down until we can find out for sure whether or not this drow is evil. Well, if worst comes to worst, I can sneak up on him with some blue whinnis on a dagger. With his vitality, it won't do Thokk any permanent harm. And if Baravar is with me, it'll knock him out for a restful few hours!

"Are we surrounded by homicidal idiots, Fizahn, or is it just me?", Lissa murmurs softly.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-11, 09:23 PM
"O, its jist yerself, lass, the rest of us are fine. Also, wanting to KILL AN EVIL CREATURE isnt homicidal, its rigeous. Moradin says so himself, so HA"

Soulfather, give them the clarity of sight you give me to CRUSH THE DROW

Dr._Bob
2005-10-11, 09:54 PM
From his vantage point, the lizardman scans the area for magical auras. At first, a strong aura emanates from the altar, then the aura fades. The aura returns, then fades again. It takes a moment for the lizardman to process what he is seeing. The altar is pulsating!

Achkby and Elthan continue to scan the cavern for any "visitors", unaware of the magic emanations radiating from the altar.

Sedryn picks himself up off the ground with Sheyra's assistance. He groans as he shakes his head.

Meanwhile, Lissa and Fizahn have unlocked two of the manacles without too much difficulty. It would appear that the restraints were meant simply to hold the "victim" still for a relatively short period of time. Together they go to work on the remaining two locks.

The drow remains delirious. He mumbles softly in a language unfamiliar to the rogues.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-11, 09:59 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan pulls out his waterskin and pours some water out onto the drows head, believing it may revive him faster. They could not afford to carry someone around the tunnels if they find they must run.*

Callos_DeTerran
2005-10-11, 10:03 PM
Drider

Intent eyes watched the lesser creatures as they began to fiddle with its meal, eyes narrowed with an inborn hatred as long spindly spider legs twittered and shuffled noiselessly. This was completely unacceptable to the vile creature and began to act on its baser instincts of hunger rather than its reasoning mind. Focusing inwards on itself, as if on some sort of inner power the drider brought four bright lights into being in the tunnel that the drow had just let down, a smile coming to its ebon features from up on the ceiling in a particulary thick patch of rock spears.

HempRope
2005-10-11, 10:05 PM
Achkby, Halfling Meal

Achkby nervously holds his ground...

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-11, 10:21 PM
Elthan

*Elthan looks around at the lights and continues to tip more and more of the water onto the drows head until none is left. He drops the skin on the drows face and draws his staff.*

(OOC: Hello new PC. On behalf of the group welcome and uhhh DONT EAT US! PLEASE PLEASSE PLEASE DONT EAT US! :o)

Muzzleflash
2005-10-11, 11:22 PM
Second Drider

You just manage to place where the second scuttling sound is coming, when a dark shadow launches from one of the lower tunnels, skitters over the rock and cavefloor, and lands directly on the alter, crouching low over the captive drow.

The spider-monstrosity is decorated on the upper torso with what appear to be torn-off formian warrior claws hung around it's neck.
It leans forward into Lissa's face, slams one of the humanoid forearms down onto the drow, and hisses. Loudly. All the while moving closer to her and Fizahn, one menacingly slow leg movement at a time.

HempRope
2005-10-11, 11:25 PM
Achkby, Halfling

"Yeeeaagh!" yells Achkby. "A spidery thing!"

Then seeing it's agression, he continues shouting, "Lissa! No!"
He trains his wand on the thing, waiting for it to make another move...

Phasm
2005-10-12, 12:13 AM
Lissa, gnomish spiderbait

"EEEEEEEE!!!" Lissa jumps about a foot (no mean feat when you're only three feet tall to begin with), drops her lockpicks, and backpedals wildly. Screaming the entire time, incoherent shrieks mixed with curses in three languages. Clearly, the giant-insect-phobic gnome wants to get as far away from the drider as she can, but just as clearly she's unwilling to turn her back on it.

Once Lissa is several feet away from her unexpected adversary, she swings her loaded crossbow off her back and points it at the drider. Despite her fear, the rogue's aim is steady. "Go away! Scram! Shoo! Or by all the Lords of the Golden Hills, I'll fill you full of steel!"


(OOC: Move back and draw crossbow. Hi, new people, please don't eat us!)

runehawk
2005-10-12, 06:02 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The Druid had been focussed on the altar when an abomination appeared.

His eyes widen, then narrow into slits and the arm poised with a barbed dart shoots out, the dart streaking to the collarbone of the creature below.

There was only one thought on his mind as he charged down, spittle flying from his bared teeth.

Spidercreatures...SETHRA....

Callos_DeTerran
2005-10-12, 06:56 AM
Drider

A hearty laugh erupted from the second drider as it saw its companions antics. Malicousness clear on its face it took a moment or two to scuttle around the stalaticties in the way then dropped from the cieling of the cave with a resounding thud. The same in almost all ways to the other drider expect in place of a formian warrior claw there was a skull around its neck. The lizard suddenly found himself nearly face to face with this second monstroisty.

Dr._Bob
2005-10-12, 07:40 AM
When the giant half-drow, half-spider beast leaps onto the altar, Lissa, Elthan II (who had been trying to revive the drow) and Fizahn fall back terrified. From above, the lizardman reacts, hurling a barbed dart down into the drider's back. The aberration doesn't even flinch as the dart bites into his back. "Drider!" Hajih screams.

Before anyone else can move, a second drider drops from its hiding place in the crevassed ceiling above. It lands heavily on a terrace between the lizardman and the lower central area. It ***** its head and smiles menacingly ...

Elthan I, Darius, Achkby, and Thokk are tactically positioned on elevated terraces along with the lizardman, but everyone else is crowded down below. Lissa, Fizahn, and Elthan II are positioned toward the "head" of the altar. Sedryn, Sheyra, Lumpy, and Aeroz are positioned toward the "foot" of the altar. Hajih and Linda stand together 20 ft away from the altar.

The drow on the altar stirs slightly, face contorted as if in some tortured dream. When his head twiches to the side, he reveals a vicious scar running from this hairline to his jawbone. One ankle remains bound to the stone, not yet unlocked.

His face wet, the drow opens his eyes, seeing the massive drider poised above him. He cries out, "Run! Must flee this place ... much danger ... must get away! Not the shadows again ..." Only Lumpy can understand his words, but his meaning is clear, "Run away!"

In the chaos, no one notices the glow of light that appears in the tunnel through which the drow party had exited. There appear to be several lights, and they are moving closer ...



OOC: Surprise round. Driders move. Lizardman hits with barbed dart, for 5 pts of damage. Lissa falls back and readies her crossbow. Ready for round one actions ...

Muzzleflash
2005-10-12, 08:18 AM
Drider

The claw-bedecked Drider ***** it's head, glancing *back and forth between the party, the drow beneath it, and back towards the tunnels, then fluidly steps over the captive and off the altar to the surrounding floor, body tensed and ready for action. You don't see any apparent weapons aside from a rusty pair of jagged clawed bracers still locked to the forearms, meaning the formian warriors were torn apart mostly by hand.

To the other drider, in Undercommon:
Thooo.. what might thith lizzzardthing tathte like? I'm getting thick of pit-elffff.

Twisting it's head and shoulders around as if it can't see something bothering him, it scoops up a small rock from the cavern floor, tosses it from hand to hand to arachnid-leg joint to hand, and grates out a few arcane words on the subject of shadows. An aura of magical darkness envelops his entire area.

You're not sure yet whether it's pursuing Lissa and Fizahn or intercepting the druid, but until it vanished into shadow, it didn't look terribly happy about having dinner interrupted. Then again.. there are a lot of them, and he feels the lingering death-smell taint of a Bebilith. Whoever did that might be worth avoiding.

OOC: What gate?

Elmorwen
2005-10-12, 08:54 AM
Sheyra

Just as Sheyra is considering hitting Thokk for insulting her and her family, the driders drop down and serve as a welcome distraction.

Sheyra does a forward roll towards the nearest drider, gets up, and jump kicks it, trying to hit the drow part of its body.

Tumble: 18+9=27
Attack: 20+4=24
Confirm: 4+4=8
Damage: 5

Callos_DeTerran
2005-10-12, 01:16 PM
Drider

"I'm not quiute sssure about lizzard. He lookssss awfully ssssstringy to me!"

The look of vile delight in this only brightened as the drider saw the little gnome's reaction to them. Letting out a slow hissing laugh, it sped down the terraces towards the gnome, completely ready to wrap its strong arms around the smaller creature and squeeze it to death. "But this little creature looks absolutely divine!"

OOC: The spoken part is in Undercommon, don't know how to use the colored tags.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-12, 01:35 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan begins to back away from the altar. He reachs into his pocket and takes out a coin. He flips it. As it leaves his hand he begins to make motions and gestures similar to a summoning spell.*
I hope they fall for it.

(OOC: I'm fliping on of the coins we got earlier. If at all possible, Elthan is trying to get it to land near the smaller party members across the altar. Also, bluff check to make it seem as though I am casting a spell. Mybye confuse them at the least.)

bhdrake
2005-10-12, 02:12 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Thoroughly tired of having his vision confounded by magical darkness, Lumpy growls a challenge, drawing his flail as he sets into motion, trying to zero in on one of the voices speaking in undercommon and get a swing in.

[ooc: Drawing flail as part of his move action. Lumpy really can't distinguish who's who, so whether he goes for one of the driders or the drow (or anyone else that happens to blurt something in undercommon) is equally likely. If he can make it all the way without tripping, he'll just swing blindly.}

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-12, 02:12 PM
Darius

I wonder if I should've-

"Damn!" Darius' trains of thought derails instantly. *He mutters a quick prayer to Tyr as he fires two arrows in rapid succession at the nearest drider. ((If he can see it))

"Hahahaha! I wonder what your insides look like, spider!"

Erikkin
2005-10-12, 03:26 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

You hear assorted curses as Fizahn is enveloped in darkness. You here an irregular movement pattern and can only assume that he is trying to get out, with various flips and other acrobatic moves most likely.

OOC: Fizahn will head away from the spot he last saw the drider tumbling in case the drider came after him. +10

Frojoe21
2005-10-12, 03:57 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Seeing the darkness envelop him, Aeroz ducks into a roll and tries to excape from the darkness, while keeping silent.

[OOC: Move silently +11, Tumble +11]

Phasm
2005-10-12, 05:56 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa glowers as the drider in front of her casts a spell of darkness. The clicking sound of spider legs, and a hissing laugh coming from the terraces, alert the gnome to another problem. She turns to face the skull-decked drider, the fear on her face turning to anger when it becomes clear that the creature is laughing at her. "Think I'm funny, do you?", she snarls, hand darting into her haversack. "Laugh at THIS, bugface!" With that, Lissa hurls a fat oilcloth bag at the attacking drider. She backs up several feet, away from both the visible drider and the area of darkness.

(OOC: Retrieve tanglefoot bag from handy haversack (free action), throw bag at attacking drider, and move away. She's too preoccupied with Giant Bugs to have noticed the sounds of people approaching.)

sacreddeamon
2005-10-12, 06:19 PM
Thokk

"TO THE FORGE WITH YOU!!!!"

*Thokk rushes into combat, charging and if possible, performing a diving charge off the terrace. Hoo-Rah, projectile Dwarf*

HempRope
2005-10-12, 06:32 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Damn that darkness!" cries Achkby, enraged as the first Drider vanishes in shadows.

Seeing Lissa thrwo a Tanglefoot Bag, he yells down to her, "You can't web spiders, Lissa! It just won't work!"

Then, he begins a long, involved chanting of draconic phrases, that ends with a few harsh, crackling words. He flings his arm down, aimed at the visible Drider, and a bolt of electricity shoots down at it.

Casting Melf's Acid Arrow, modified by Energy Substitution: Electricity. Ranged Touch attack @ +5

Dr._Bob
2005-10-12, 11:04 PM
A shadowy mist appears, obscuring the "claw" drider and snuffing out the four braziers arranged around the altar, plunging the entire cavern into darkness. Only some indirect light from one of the tunnels provides a modicum of shadowy illumination.

In the chaos, Aeroz and Fizahn slip out from within the cloud of darkness. Both find themselves crouched under a small ledge about 30 ft from the altar.

Within the sphere of darkness, Sheyra tumbles toward the claw drider and (using instinct more than her eyes) delivers a rising kick into its midsection. Just in the nick of time, she rolls away, avoiding Lumpy, who swings wildly but manages to smash the drider with his flail. Sedryn's voice is audible as he chants a prayer to Lathander, calling on the Morning Lord to bless his allies.

Standing outside of the radius of the darkness effect, Elthan II casts a summoning spell, and in the twinkling of an eye, a mighty 3 ft tall orange-skinned goblin appears. The goblin waves its javelin menacingly.

...

Up on the higher terraces, the "skull" drider spots Lissa down below. Licking its lips, the drider scrambles toward the small gnome, only to be deflected by the lizardman who hisses as his claws scrape against the drider's tough carapace.

Thokk throws aside his bow and draws his sword as he charges the skull drider. With a flying leap, he chops at the drider who manages to take the blow on one of its spider-like legs.

With practiced grace, Darius nocks and fires a burning arrow at the skull drider. The arrow misses, but briefly illuminates the drider as it streaks past. Darius corrects his aim and sends his second arrow straight into the drider's back. The beast screams in rage and spins around, its legs scrabbling for purchase.

Achkby sends his own projectile at the drider, but the darkness spoils his aim and the electric bolt sizzles harmlessly off into the blackness.

Down below, Lissa winds up then hurls a tanglefoot bag at the skull drider and watches with satisfaction as the drider becomes covered in thick gooey strands that begin to harden almost immediately.





OOC: Combat summary ...

Claw drider creates darkness. There is shadowy illumination within the 20 ft radius of the spell-like effect, but those within the darkness can not be seen by those outside the effect. Due to the suppression of the braziers, there is only shadowy illumination in the rest of the cavern as well. Due to concealment, there is a 20% miss chance for all attacks.

Sheyra tumbles with a 29 (20+9) and hits with a 19 (15+4) for 9 (8+1) damage.

Lumpy hits with an 18 (8+10) for 13 (7+6) damage.

Aeroz and Fizahn successfully tumble out of the darkness.

Sedryn casts bless. Elthan II "summons" a goblin.

...

Skull drider moves 30 ft towards Lissa.

Lizardman misses with a 14 (11+3).

Darius misses with a 10 (2+8) but hits with a 23 (15+8) for 14 (8+4+2) damage.

Achkby's "electric" arrow would have hit with a 16 (11+5), but misses due to concealment.

Thokk charges and hits with a 28 (16+10+2) for 7 (1+6) damage.

Lissa hits the skull drider with the tanglefoot bag with a 13 (17 - 4 range penalty). The skull drider is entangled, but it makes its reflex save with a 20 (18+4 - 2 DEX penalty) and is not completely immobilized.

...

Current HP

Claw drider: 18 (40 - 9 - 13)
Skull drider: 24 (45 - 14 - 7), entangled

...

Awaiting actions for skull drider, Linda, and Hajih ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-13, 12:20 AM
Darius, Human Fighter

Darius cackles, notching another two flaming arrows and firing them at the same drider.

((Hehehe, round two!))

Callos_DeTerran
2005-10-13, 06:49 AM
Drider


"Nasssty little creatures! Jussssst lay down and diesss! Right here and nowss!) This wasn't going well, it was hurt, couldn't move all that well now and worse yet, almost none of them were close enough to kill. Hateful eyes narrow more as it attempted to drop darkness down on itself, even still feeling the gooey mess of the tanglefoot bag glueing it to the floor.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-13, 06:56 AM
Seeing the spider things approach, Linda is a bit slow to react. When she does though, she sidesteps to avoid the darkness and casts one of her newest spells-one she has never tried before. A burst of snow-something never seen in the Underdark except through the use of magic-strikes at the two driders. Her voice takes a harsh, menacing tone and appears to be more of a demon's roar than the language of a human.
Go back to the nothingness that awaits you and your mistress!

OOC: Sinillock's Snowball Swarm, taking in both driders if possible but no party members. The red color is for Abyssal-I always wanted to quote Olorin ;D

Frojoe21
2005-10-13, 08:12 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz sheathes both his weapons and draws his crossbow. He begins to look for any sign of trouble, drow or drider. If he sees one, he will fire.

[OOC: Listen +2, Spot +2, Search +7; One thing does bug me though (No pun intended), why do driders talk like Gollum?

sacreddeamon
2005-10-13, 09:38 AM
Thokk

"DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE"

*Thokk hefts his sword again and swings away*

OOC: Wow, minimum damage. Thats pretty bad*

Phasm
2005-10-13, 12:30 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa laughs triumphantly as her tanglefoot bag hits home. "Hahaha! Who's laughing now, freakshow?" Reaching into her handy haversack again, she comes up with an everburning torch this time and drops it on the ground next to her. The magical purple flame clearly illuminates the enraged, entangled drider. Lissa carefully aims her crossbow, grinning. "Try some of this on for size, spiderbreath!" TWANG!

(OOC: Retrieve everburning torch, drop it, and fire crossbow at the tangled drider.)

Dr._Bob
2005-10-13, 02:28 PM
Hajih stands frozen with fear, "Dr-dr-dr-iders!" he stutters over and over again ...

As Linda casts her spell, the air around the skull drider chills noticably as chunks of snow and ice swarm around the monster. Thokk and the lizardman are caught in the icy cold blast as well as the drider.

The drider crouches down and creates a field of darkness of its own. Simultaneously, the dancing lights in the tunnel go out leaving much of the cavern in total darkness.

When Lissa brings out her everburning torch, only shadowy forms can be seen within the two different areas of magical darkness.



OOC: Linda fails to overcome the drider's spell resistance with a 15 (10+5). Thokk takes 8 damage and the lizardman takes 11 damage from Linda's snowball swarm. The drider creates darkness, thus ending round 1.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-13, 02:46 PM
Elthan II

*Eltahn stands behind his goblin in the darkness and begins to cast a spell. He tries to find the largest figure in the in the room, reasoning that those should be the driders.*

(OOC: Ready to Cast Blindness at the largest creature he can see. If anything visibly has more than two legs, he's going for that.)

HempRope
2005-10-13, 02:51 PM
I wish I had realised that I couldn't see, and had made that a Seeking Spell rather than an Electric one. :-/ That'll teach me to post before my foes.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Dammit! I can't see any of them now! Infernal magics!

Then, he begins conjuring up more magic, but simpler this time, and merely hold it at the ready rather than shooting it down at his concealed foes. He grits his teeth, and mutters, "May Brandobaris lend me the fortune to strike..."

Ready action to shoot a Lesser Sonic Orb, modified by 'Seeking Spell' at the first Drider that appears from the Darkness.

Erikkin
2005-10-13, 03:45 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

Fizahn springs up from his crouch. He immediately grabs his dagger and torch. Seeing that the driders aren't near him, he drops back into his crouch, scanning the darkness restlessly.

OOC: Draw weapon and get torch. Fight defensively too.

Elmorwen
2005-10-13, 04:35 PM
Sheyra

Sheyra rolls out of the ball of darkness and waits for one of the driders to show itself.

Ready an action to attack.

bhdrake
2005-10-13, 04:38 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The orc growls triumphantly as his blow connects, and he prepares for a second. Vaguely, aware that someone else is fighting the drider, though it's difficult for him to tell who, he aims high, a warning gritted between his fangs, "If ya got less than eight legs, I'd duck."

[OOC: If the drider goes before him and moves, he'll try to pursue it as best he can instead, double-moving if he has to, or attacking if he doesn't.]

Phasm
2005-10-13, 05:04 PM
Lissa, rogue

The gnome swears as another darkness spell dims the effect of her torch considerably. Well, I'd best take my chances and shoot anyway. Tanglefoot goo doesn't last all that long. Lissa squints into the darkness, sighting along her crossbow at the tangled drider, whispering a brief prayer to the gnomish gods of thievery and the Underdark. "Baravar, Callarduran, please guide my aim!" With that, she shoots.

Dr._Bob
2005-10-14, 12:45 AM
There is a clatter within the darkness around the altar as the braziers are knocked over. With alarming speed, the cloud of darkness makes a beeline toward Achkby, Elthan II, and Lissa, swallowing up Lissa's everburning torch. The cavern is plunged into total darkness.

Darius' and Lissa's missiles are already on their way toward the skull drider. They are unable to see whether they hit or not, but a satisfying hiss of pain suggests that at least one of them managed to wound the beast.

"Ach, it's trying to get away!" Thokk cries out as he and the lizardman slash blindly at the drider. Both manage to land blows (hopefully not on each other) but then their target seems to vanish as if the drider dissolved into thin air ...

...

Fizahn whips out his everburning torch, re-illuminating the central area. The claw drider is revealed as it crouches behind the altar. Lumpy leaps over the drow chained to the stone and smashes the drider with his flail.

As soon as Aeroz realizes that the claw drider is not in the darkness, he fires his crossbow at it but is disappointed when the bolt glances off of the altar instead. Elthan II also recognizes the drider's ruse and, turning his attention away from the darkness, casts a spell on the monster, blinding it.





OOC: Round 2 begins ...

Claw drider knocks over the braziers and throws the stone imbued with darkness toward Lissa, Elthan II, and Achkby, creating total darkness.

Darius misses twice. Lissa hits for 4 damage.

Skull drider levitates to the ceiling 20 ft away, triggering AOO from Thokk and the lizardman. Thokk hits for 9 damage. The lizardman hits for 4 damage.

Fizahn recovers his everburning torch. Aeroz misses with a 14. Lumpy hits with a 23 for 10 points of damage.

Elthan II blinds the claw drider, defeating its spell resistance with a 23.



Current HP

claw drider: 8 (18 - 10)
skull drider: 7 (24 - 17)
Thokk: 43 (51 - 8)
lizardman: 16 (27 - 11)

Phasm
2005-10-14, 12:59 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa bends down within the cloud of darkness, feeling around for her torch. Everburning torch in hand (although nonfunctional at the moment), she races in the opposite direction from the darkness cloud's origin, hoping she's near an edge. Ooh, I hope that drider hasn't broken free of the tanglefoot yet! I'm a sitting duck in this magical darkness!


(OOC: Recover torch and beat feet! 5-foot step, if nothing else.)

runehawk
2005-10-14, 02:51 AM
Lizardkin Druid
The numbing chill was dissipating finally.
Warmblooded fools..Semuanya..don't they know how badly cold affects us

The blind slash connected with something as the hairy pinkskin yelled that the prey was escaping.

Snarling in frustration and clenching his teeth to overcome the chill, Ssathiyaa draws his other barbed dart and flings it with all his strength

Blessed Balance take you!

OOC: Move action to draw dart and attack action to throw.Subsequently will climb up the terraces and leap for the drider. .. He's not letting it escape!My shield is slung across my back so My AC is lower by 2.

sacreddeamon
2005-10-14, 10:49 AM
Thokk

"Random dwarfen curses, relating to telling the drider his mother was an orc and his father was a duguer"

*What else would Thokk do? He charges the Claw and intends to kill it*

bhdrake
2005-10-14, 11:58 AM
Lumpy

With all of that confounding darkness cleared up, Lumpy presses on against the claw drider, seeming to take some degree of enjoyment in getting the chance to finish it before the dwarf closes in.

(OOC: Just keep hitting the thing until it stops moving. hopefully even it it tries to run, I can finish it with an AoO)

HempRope
2005-10-14, 03:18 PM
Two questions:
1. Is Achkby in the new darkness (he's still up on the platforms on the walls)?
2. Did Achkby launch his spell at the revelaed Drider?

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-14, 04:28 PM
Darius

Darius will fire another two flaming arrows at the revealed drider.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-14, 09:06 PM
Elthan II

*In the darkness, Elthan moves his staff to parry any blow thrown at him.*

(OOC: Full defensive.)

Dr._Bob
2005-10-15, 08:38 AM
The claw drider shakes its head and blinks its eyes in a futile attempt to clear its vision as it scrambles backward until it collides with the ledge behind it.

It leans forward and flattens its arachnid body, squeezing backward into a crevice. As suddenly as it appeared, it is gone.

Lumpy chases after the drider, but opts against following the drider into the crevice.

Lissa retrieves her everburning torch, and in short order the cavern is secure. The two driders have been driven off with no significant injury to the party members (except for a minor "friendly fire" incident).

Elthan I checks on Hajih to make sure that he pulls himself together. Darius keeps an arrow nocked and scans the ceiling to be sure that no other surprises drop from above.

Everyone else stands down, but remains on guard for any additional "interruptions" while Fizahn and Lumpy return their attention to the captive drow who remains only semi-conscious.

runehawk
2005-10-15, 10:15 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Dropping off the wall, the lizardkin snarls loudly. His ire clearly shown that the two aberrations had escaped.

Seeing the others about to free the fallen dr-ow, he shakes his battle-lust off and exclaims:

"Wait. The altar is tainted with magic. It must be cleansed!"
He pushes past others to stand before the altar and study it

OOC: My druid's interested in finding out how to disable the pulsing altar. Not sure if my Det Magic is still active, Should last 10 rounds since casted. Maybe Elthan or Linda can study and disable it. Roll Knowledge: Nature if i need to

HempRope
2005-10-15, 11:18 AM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"I don't like it," Achkby says loudly. He seems louder than he thought in the quiet that remains after the Driders' departure.
"They could come back at any time..."
He hunkers down on the platform he's been standing on, and looks all around the room, half hoping to find his foes, half hoping that they've gone.

Frojoe21
2005-10-15, 11:29 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Achby, Linda, Elthan, Elthan? Could you scorch that crevace? It wont necessarily kill that thing, but it could severely injure him."

Aeroz keps his crossbow at ready. Hhe loads another bolt and aims at the crevace.

[OOC: Readying to fire at the drider if it rears it's head.]

sacreddeamon
2005-10-15, 11:59 AM
Thokk

"NOW do you understand why I said to kill the drow when we had a chance? By Moradins beard, ye are daft, lass"

Elmorwen
2005-10-15, 12:49 PM
Sheyra

"You know, you don't HAVE to insult people with every sentence," Sheyra says in response, "And as far as I could tell, we were doing alright against those things." She walks towards the drow. "Besides, I don't think killing him would have stopped the driders from coming."

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-15, 01:14 PM
Elthan II

"Scorch the crevice? Do you think I'm just some fire-spouting maniac? It is already severly injured and is not likly to come back for a while. If we can collapse the way it went, we would must assuredly delay it if it where to follow us."

*Elthan walks over to the altar.*

"Lets get the man off of it and destroy it. I wouldn't like to think of anyone else being sacraficed here."

(OOC: I have a plan to collapse the crevice. If we put a crack above it, pour some water and use Chill Touch, we can erode it by ice-wedgeing causing it to collapse. Thokk can make a cut above it and then I can cast the spell. Can this be done DR?)

Phasm
2005-10-15, 01:54 PM
Lissa, rogue

Now that the battle-rush has worn off, Lissa starts shaking and sits down abruptly. "Aaaagh! Giant ants weren't enough, oh no no no. We had to get cursed giant spider-things right after! Ohhh, gods... what I wouldn't give for a drink right now!" She buries her face in her hands, and one can see her taking deep breaths. After a bit, the diminutive rogue gets up. Lissa still isn't looking very happy, but at least now she looks functional. She heads over to the altar. "Well, back to work."

sacreddeamon
2005-10-15, 02:35 PM
Thokk

"Lass, I had a tankard of ale back on me warhorse, and if I had it I would offer ye a mug. Alas, I do not know where 'Hammer went. I hope my horse is doing good."

*Sniff*

The_King_of_Durf
2005-10-15, 02:42 PM
Darius

Darius whistles a little tune, scanning the area with his bow.


((OOC Ready action to attack anything that moves is a threatening way (the drow, returning driders, other stuff)))

Erikkin
2005-10-15, 03:11 PM
Fizahn, gnome:

"Well Lissa, you know that spiders are arachnids, while ants are insects, so I'd say that you've got two different phobias instead of one." Fizahn shuts up as he sees Lissa glaring at him. Looking back down at the manacle, he searches for his dropped lock pick. Unable to find it, he withdraws another one from his kit and gets back to business.

Phasm
2005-10-15, 03:24 PM
Lissa, rogue

Indeed, Lissa is glaring daggers at the other gnome. "They're creepy, they're crawly, they have far too many legs, and they're too big to be properly squished under a boot. Giant ants or giant spiders, they're all giant bugs to me!" She eventually finds her lockpick and turns to Thokk. "Thanks for the thought, Thokk. I worry about my riding dog, Patch, too... I wish he could've come." Sighing momentarily, she continues. "But he probably wouldn't like it here. I hope he's doing well back in Velprintalar." Lissa holds her torch high, scanning the cavern for any more signs of trouble.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-10-15, 04:41 PM
Linda frowns again as she nears Thokk:
Look, our worldviews are different but this does not mean we have to insult eachother. If most people here want to free the drow, we will do so. If most people here want to kill him, so be it-I will pose no further objections. But until we decide, stop whining and stand still so I can heal you. Whining never helped anyone and sure won't help in our situation.

OOC: Cure light wounds on Thokk and the Lizardman for 1d8+5 points of healing.
[Edited out upon seeing DR's last post.]

sacreddeamon
2005-10-15, 05:12 PM
Thokk

"Thank ye lassie, I dont have anything against ye, ye are at least making some sense. They are just saying free the evil bugger without any reason."[/color]

Frojoe21
2005-10-15, 05:14 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Elthan II
"Scorch the crevice? Do you think I'm just some fire-spouting maniac? It is already severly injured and is not likly to come back for a while. If we can collapse the way it went, we would must assuredly delay it if it where to follow us."

"Tell me, how do you know it wont come back? If we aren't gonna kill it, if you insist on taking the drow, take him, and lets get out of here. I really don't like this place at all, and I would like to be getting to Teflamm as soon as possible"

King_of_GRiffins
2005-10-15, 05:47 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan turns to Aeroz.*

"Aeroz, it is not that I am suggesting that they will not come back, but that I that the best course of action is not to set the cavern alight. A fire spell with radius would torch us all, sucking up the air in the process leaving a vacumm of space without air chocking those not burned to death. If I may suggest, that if the crevice is not too high, Thokk may be able to simply cut the rock above it and cause it to cave-in on itself."

*He turns back to the prisoner and waits.*