PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Artifacts] Instruments of Wrath

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-28, 02:22 AM
Just some artifacts for fun times, folks. Feel free to critique if you like!

Valeron's Fist is a massive plate gauntlet decorated with steel filigree and tooth shards that shed from its fist with every pounding blow. Though it seems far too big for a potential wielder at first, merely touching the unattended (or attached-to-a-corpse) metal causes the gauntlet to resize and bond itself to the unfortunate fool who "claimed" it. The Fist grants the benefits of the Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike feats to its wielder, as well as functioning as a +6 vicious speed gauntlet. Its wearer gains immunity to fear effects and magical compulsions, as well as a +6 bonus to Will saves in general.

This power does not come without a price. The gauntlet was once used by a now-dead goddess of glory and valor, and it bears a fragment of her essence. Its user cannot retreat from battle or accept "dishonorable" terms of surrender (such as unconditional surrender, or the sacrifice of a loved one in exchange for peace). Furthermore, they must always act to defend a weaker being from a stronger one in combat, even if that weaker being is hostile to them (though not if it is trying to kill them). Finally, they cannot lie while the gauntlet is worn.

-MORE TO COME-

The Pressman
2010-08-28, 02:42 AM
And here I was hoping for a flute of eternal flame.:smallwink:
Looks good so far. I like the chivalry/truth-telling part.

RelicForger
2010-08-28, 02:44 AM
Hi Im RelicForger and i was think i could help you out with your items Like legends and a history Because the main thing that i know about a Relic is that a history is a must need it allows DM's a way to give out the item to players
(very Important.) Further more Relics Are usually Items Crafted by gods you know real power items. So Stating whether the items is between a minor and a major. The one you crafted sounds like a mid level item with some pretty good stuff on it so keep up the good work and maybe this guideline will help.

If you got time Check out mine At the thread Items and Feats Maby some relics
Drop some critic if you can
(I Like the Attention:smallwink: HAHAH) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165214

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-08-28, 10:14 AM
Nice job as usual, Gareth. Despite what RelicForger says, this is, in my opinion, much more reasonable for an artifact, as it's both powerful and flavorful without completely redefining a character. I'm also confident that, if you wanted to, we'd see much more of a history there, but I sort of like the vagueness: it allows me to craft my own story around it.

The item itself I find a little boring for an artifact (as it's just a weapon and a couple of feats), but the "curse" is what changed my mind. Nicely done. :smallbiggrin:

And RelicForger? I happen to know that Lord Gareth is none to fond of the traditional Epic rules, and thus this weapon is probably aimed at between 15th and 20th level, where it is indeed a pretty potent weapon.

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-28, 06:48 PM
You can expect more tonight. While I believe in powerful artifacts (the DMG ones suck. They just suck), I don't balance to level fifty bajillion.

...Unless I'm running a Lord-Wardens campaign.

DrWeird
2010-08-28, 06:57 PM
Is it just me, or do the costs suck?

I mean, really. Legacy items, artifacts, whatever - weapons that you have to pay to get better abilities. King Arthur's Fort save didn't get lowered, I'll bet you, just by drawing his sword. Except maybe that one time. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/MORDRED.jpg)

And while I can understand flavorful 'requirements' and curses like for your current item, and I can *even* get into the idea of the rituals for Legacy items, it just seems not worth anyone's time to use one of them tactically, despite abilities granted. At least, in my games, if you get a Legacy item or usable artifact, you *get* one, no strings attached. Except when they're cursed rightfully. I don't know; maybe it's just the fact that WotC might have taken the 'give-and-get' theme too far for them.

Anyways, nice artifact!

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-29, 12:38 AM
I prefer that artifacts come with costs; they feel more flavorful to me that way. But hey, to each their own. You don't have to use it :P

DrWeird
2010-08-29, 08:16 AM
No no no, I *like* the cost for your weapon, don't mistake my intent; I just don't enjoy the level-by-level penalties of the legacy items and relics in the D&D books.

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-29, 10:37 AM
The Phantasmal Slayer looks like a badly-crafted illusion; a thin-bladed longsword that flickers hazily and lets loose streams of vaguely-metallic mist. The blade is nicked and cracked and the pommel pins are shaky enough that it's a wonder that the blade stays attached to the handle at all. Despite these seeming flaws, the blade functions as a +2 ghost touch longsword.

The Phantasmal Slayer was once the property of a mighty paladin of Heironious that took it as his especial mission to hunt down evil spellcasters. Eventually his struggles brought him against a necromantic cult known as Bleak Academy, and his simple longsword, powered by his faith, became a weapon against ghosts and their ilk. The Slayer deals 4d6 points of force damage with every stroke, and can strike foes up to 400 feet away with a standard melee attack. Furthermore, any being slain by the longsword is dead forever barring ressurection or more potent magics; ghosts, liches, clones, and other such preparations notwithstanding.

The blade is, however, cursed, tainted by necromantic magics, the fury of ancient undead, and the dying gasps of necromancers. Every time the user draws the sword, its tainted essence begins to hunger for the blood of the living. If he does not slay a living innocent within 24 hours of drawing the blade, it drains one level from him permanently (no save).

DrWeird
2010-08-29, 10:41 AM
Maybe it should be Undead-bane, to fit with the theme?

EDIT: It also gives me a funny idea about a double-bladed sword with one end bearing Holy and the other bearing Unholy.

EDIT 2 - Electric Boogaloo: Would you mind if other people listed artifacts here?

Lord_Gareth
2010-08-29, 03:06 PM
Go ahead; just try to keep with the Instruments of Wrath theme.