PDA

View Full Version : Psychonauts Class. Yes, thats correct, you read it right.

Beriadan
2010-08-29, 09:46 PM
I've been working on this for about a day or two, with my friends serving as my editors. I suck at spelling....

Anywho, here you go. I'll update later when I get more down.

Psychonaut
HP: d6
SP: 4
BAB: Average
Saves: Will
Special:

Psychic Fists: Your psychic power is starting to blossom, and you are capable of projecting a mental fist to attack your enemies. It does the damage of a Monk’s unarmed attack of the same level plus your Intelligence modifier instead of strength, and has a plus five 5 feet reach. Psychic Fists is a standard attack action.
Psi Jump: When jumping, you are able to project a solid surface underneath your feet for a few seconds, allowing you to jump again at a much greater distance. Make a second jump check and add your Intelligence modifier to the second jump check. Psi Jump may only be used once per jump, to use it again you must touch the ground.
Palm Bomb: You jump in the air and slam your psychic fist into the ground, damaging everyone around you. Every person in a 15 foot radius takes the damage of your psychic fists. This is a full round action (including the jump).
Pyrokinesis: Fire. Who doesn’t like fire? At second level a Psychonaut can make things burn with his mind. He can control minor flames (camp fire, torch fire, etc.) with ease, larger flames with effort (Bonn fire, etc.), and can even attempt control over magical fire (fireball). The Psychonaut makes a concentration check versus the spell caster’s spellcraft check. If the Psychonaut succeeds, he is now in control of the fire, but not the spell. Example: A wizard casts fireball at a Psychonaut, and he attempts control over it. He succeeds, and redirects the fireball to the ground beside him, but the spell still goes off when it hits the ground. A Psychonaut may also set fire to objects with pure concentration. He makes a concentration check and the target makes a Fortitude save DC of the check. If the target fails, he is now on fire, taking 1d6 fire damage per level of the Psychonaut (max 10d6), plus the Psychonauts Intelligence modifier for a number of rounds equal to the Psychonauts Intelligence modifier or until the flames are put out. When being used on a creature that has resistance to fire, they get a bonus to the Fortitude save equal to the resistance. Creatures that have immunity to fire can not be set on fire unless the Psychonaut has 5 or more hit dice than the creature, and even then the creature receives a plus 50 bonus to the Fortitude save.
Psi Blast: At third level, a Psychonaut is capable of focusing his rage, fears, and emotion into firepower. A blast of concentrated psychic energy flies from the Psychonauts head and towards the target as a ranged touch attack. The blasts does 1d6 plus Intelligence modifier. Every odd level after 3rd it does another 1d6 damage. The Psychonaut has 30 charges that return 1 point every time he is damaged or fails a check/attack roll. A simple Concentration check as a full round action DC 15 will bring back 1d4+1 charges (Reflecting back on previous anger).
Telekinesis: At 4th level, using only your mind, you can lift objects into the air and toss them around. To determine the maximum weight you can lift, refer to the Carrying Capacity chart, except replace Strength with Intelligence.
Lesser Levitate: At 5th level, you are able to lift yourself into the air and float at great speeds. You rise 5 feet of the ground and have a speed of 10 feet times your Intelligence bonus. As long as you are over solid ground or some kind of surface (water, lava, quick sand) you maintain your levitation. But once you leave solid ground, you may maintain your levitation for the number of rounds equal to your Intelligence bonus. And Jump checks made while levitating receive a plus 10 bonus, plus your Intelligence bonus. You may also use Feather Fall as per the spell at will, except it lasts till you touch a surface or until you lose your concentration and only effects you.
Lesser Invisibility: At 5th level, you are able to manipulate other people’s senses to the extent that they are unaware of you. Treat it as the Invisibility spell, except the duration is the number of rounds equal to your Intelligence Bonus and you must wait 10 rounds after the effect ends to use it again. This may only be used on yourself.
Mega Palm Bomb: At 6th level, you may charge up your Palm Bomb to do extra damage. When you decide to use Palm Bomb, make a concentration check before rolling damage. For every 5 points you succeed on the check(DC 15), add another d6 to the damage. Also, the radius of Palm Bomb is now 25 feet.
Chain Psi Blast: At 7th level, your Psi Blast can jump from target to target to target. When you decide to use Psi Blast, roll for three attacks, instead of one. If those rolls hit any three people, your chain blast hits those three, dealing a separate amount of damage to each, minus 1d6 per jump. Chain Psi Blast may not hit the same person more than once in the same round.
Psi Shield: At 8th level, a Psychonaut is able to project his thoughts around him to create a barrier that is nigh impossible to break through. He gains DR equal to his Intelligence Score/- and spell resistance equal to his Intelligence score. However, the Psychonaut is immobile until he puts down the shield, and may not take any other actions while it is up (save for talk and taunting, of course). Psi Shield lasts for the number of rounds equal to his Intelligence Bonus, and its recharge time is equal to how long he used it.
Thermal Detonation: At 9th level, when you light something on fire using your Pyrokinesis, everything else in a 15 foot radius also takes the damage. WARNING: You and your allies are not immune to this effect!
Levitate: By 10th level, a Psychonaut is no longer bound by gravity and he may use the Fly spell at will, but only on himself. The Psychonaut’s speed while flying is 15 feet per Intelligence bonus with good maneuverability, 10 per bonus if he is in a medium load with average maneuverability, or 5 per bonus if he is in a heavy load with poor maneuverability.
Clairvoyance: At 10th level, a Psychonaut learns how to peer into objects and minds to see in ways they never thought possible, and thus gains the ability to see through the eyes of others, and the ability to pick up and object and see what the owner sees. Example: A psychonaut picks up a crow’s feather and uses clairvoyance on it, and then sees through the eyes of the crow. Clairvoyance lasts as long as the Psychonaut maintains concentration on the object or person, but is usually unaware of his surroundings. Clairvoyance has no effect if used on an object that has no owner, the owner is dead, or on a dead person.
Spiked Shield: At 11th level, a Psychonaut projects their anger through the Psi Shield giving it spikes that damage anyone who melee attacks him while it is up. If they attack him, they take 1d6 points of damage per Intelligence Bonus of the Psychonaut.
Invisibility: At 12th level, a Psychonaut can better cloud the perception of others and gains the ability to use Invisibility per the spell at will, except it only effects the Psychonaut.
Improved Telekinesis: At 13th level, a Psychonauts mind can handle more weight than before, and can lift heavier objects and people. The Psychonaut may use Telekinesis per the spell at will, except it uses their Intelligence Bonus instead of a caster level for weight limits, and has no limit to the amount he can lift.
Super Chain Blast: At 14th level, a Psychonaut’s Psi Blast can hit even more people than before. Instead of making 3 touch attacks, he may instead make up to six, dealing separate amount of damage to each minus 1d6 per jump. No person may be hit with the same blast twice in the same round.
Greater Invisibility: At 15th level, a Psychonaut can cloud the minds of those around him to the extent that they are completely unaware of his presence, even if walks through doors or puddles, or even makes noise. If someone were to see the Psychonaut preform an action (opening a door to get through it, walking through a puddle) he gets a +10 bonus to his Will save to see pass the Psychonauts hold on the subject. Making noise is also a +10 to their will save. Not even attacking immediately ends the effect, although the person who the Psychonaut attacked receives a +20 to his will save and his buddies get a +15 to theirs. If they fail, they will not even be aware that they are injured, until someone else who is not effected by the Psychonauts notices it and points it out. Greater Invisibility lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Psychonauts Intelligence Score, and then takes 5 minutes to recharge.
Confusion: At 15th level, a Psychonaut is able to confuse the hell out of his enemies, even making them turn on each other. The Psychonaut gains the ability to use Confusion per the spell with 5 charges. Each charge takes 10 minutes to recharge. Confusion only effects those that the Psychonaut wants it to effect in the 15 foot radius.
Ferocious Aura: At 16th level, the Psychonaut’s rage and anger being projected into their Psi Shield becomes even deadlier. Anyone who melee attacks the Psychonaut while his shield is out not only gets damaged, but everyone else around the Psychonaut gets damaged as well, up to 10 feet away, and is thrown back 5 feet. A Successful Reflex save will negate the damage by half, and a tumble check will allow the victims to land on their feet.
Sensory Scramble: At 17th level, a Psychonaut has an easier time confusing his enemies, which means more time having fun watching them kill each other. A Psychonaut’s Confusion effect lasts twice as long and its radius of effect is twice as large as well. Also, the Will save DC to see an invisible 17th level or higher Psychonaut increases by 5.
Regeneration: By 18th level, a Psychonaut is able to tap into the minds of his companions and friends to slowly regain his Mental health. He gains Fast Healing equal to his Intelligence Bonus, but it only effects his Mental Health, nothing else. If the Psychonaut has no friends, he does not gain use of this ability.
Greater Clairvoyance: At 19th level the Psychonaut is adept at peering into objects and minds, and may use Scrying as per the spell at will.
Infinitus: By 20th level, a Psychonaut has mastered his repertoire of powers. Psi Blast and Confusion have infinite Charges and nothing else needs to recharge, though the powers duration is still the same as before.

Visibility: Certain powers have special effects that can only be seen by other psychics, those trained to see the effects, or those who have an Intelligence Score equal to or greater then the Psychonaut’s and makes a Spot check DC equal to the Psychonaut’s save DC.
Physical Health and Mental Health: A Psychonaut has two HP scores: one is based off of Constitution and is used for real world battles, and the other is based off of Intelligence and is used in other people’s Psyche. Real world health is treated as normal, while Mental Health is treated a bit differently. First, when you’re mental health reaches 0, you lose an Astral Layer. When you lose all of your Astral Layers you are kicked out of the persons Psyche and back into your own, at which point you regain all your layers and Mental Health. You have a number of Astral Layers equal to your Intelligence Modifier. While in the persons Psyche and they are killed, you also die. If your body is slain while in someone else’s Psyche, and you are booted back out, you will die.
The Collective Unconscious: As you explore the minds of others, you unlock hidden passages back to the minds previously visited. Everyone’s mind is connected, and all you must do is visit two minds to find that connection, discovering more and more of the collective unconscious. Once entering someones mind who you’ve already visited, you may make a concentration check DC 30 to jump to the mind of another person. To connect someone to the Collective Unconscious, you must spend a number of hours in their mind equal to the persons, not yours, Intelligence modifier. Getting booted out of a mind always sends you back to your own, no matter how far away. Normally, you may not be in ones Psyche and aware of your bodies surroundings at the same time. To do so, you must take some special Psychonaut feats. While in another’s Psyche, your body is limp and nothing but dead weight, as if it has no mind to control it.

Psychonaut Feats:
Astral Projection: Psychonaut level 3. You are able to project yourself into someones mind, leaving your body behind as a mindless lump. Without a Psychic Portal, the process is very painful, for both parties involved. Once in someones mind, you’re controlled only by their grasp of physics. Example: If you jump into an orcs mind and he doesn’t know what gravity is, you’re free from it. He isn’t because he doesn’t know why he always falls to the ground, he just knows that he does.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-29, 09:48 PM
You couldn't just use a Psion?

Aran Banks
2010-08-29, 10:00 PM
Obviously not. It doesn't really fit the flavor ("I haz floating crystals!") and this class is WAY cooler.

I don't understand how mental health works, though. What's the crunch behind this... and why do we need it? Just make the psychonaut make "brain attack rolls", and have them drop an astral layer every time they fail an "brain attack roll". It's not as reflective of the game, but it's easier to understand and, frankly, fitting the HP of your mind into a game just is just as bad as the Psionics Exclusive Club Card, except it's so exclusive that only one class can use the ability.

Beriadan
2010-08-29, 10:04 PM
Obviously not. It doesn't really fit the flavor ("I haz floating crystals!") and this class is WAY cooler.

What he said. And its a work in progress, see my siggy.

smuchmuch
2010-08-29, 10:08 PM
Awesomme. But I feel you've been concentrating a little too much on the side powers (wich frankly are pretty much variants of what any basic psion could do) and not enough on the mindwalking part wich is what makes the class so unique.

Sir Sanguine
2010-08-29, 10:12 PM
PSYCHONAUTS!

*ahem*
But yes, the mind-entry ability deserves more focus. Take along your party, maybe? Though if you're entering everyone's mind willy-nilly that puts the DM in the unfortunate position of having to make a billion extra areas.

EDIT: What's the action (standard, fullround, swift) for setting someone on fire? (And a Concentration check for the DC can lead to huge DCs, especially at higher levels.)

awesomessake
2010-08-29, 10:34 PM
This is so nerdy but i don't care....

"You ready to save the world?"
"No"
"slap"
"How about now?"

"OVER TIME MY HUSBAND WILL DESIRE ME LESS SEXUALLY, BUT HE WILL STILL ENJOY MY PIES"
:smallsmile:

I can't tell if this is 3rd or 4th edition....

But for those of you who haven't played this game yet, get your pens ready... (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2-Psychonauts)

Beriadan
2010-08-29, 11:07 PM
This is 3.5, sorry.

awesomessake
2010-08-29, 11:14 PM
This is 3.5, sorry.

Not to say i don't like this class, but if i were going to go for a psychonaut I'd give certain powers and abilities to a psychic warrior, and go from there.
The key thing that makes a psychonaut different from a normal psychic is that they can travel into other people's subconscious minds. You should homebrew a feat or power that makes this possible.

Beriadan
2010-08-29, 11:22 PM
But for those of you who haven't played this game yet, get your pens ready... (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2-Psychonauts)

My god, I can't stop laughing! That is so funny!

DracoDei
2010-08-30, 10:49 AM
You will need a table if you want to get a lot of assistance with this class. HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=10313) is the thread that includes the blank 20 level class template (among many many others).

I concur that the mind-entering is the most important thing... getting that working is going to be key to they whole thing.

One thing that you basically HAVE to do, regardless of if it matches the game (and from my memory of the Let's Play I watched on YouTube there isn't any reason it wouldn't match the game) is that from the get-go they should be capable of taking the entire party with them when they go into someone's mind. If you don't do that, then you end up with the rest of the players sitting around bored while the Psychonaut and the GM roleplay what, in the end, comes down to a dungeon-crawl. Don't be afraid to give the "assistants" their full powers. Making the Psychonaut more powerful than them in a mental setting is the same problem, but on a much smaller scale.

The point about the GM needing to come up with psychoscapes on the fly is a valid one, but I don't see it as an insurmountable challenge. It would be worth a strong warning that a GM shouldn't allow this in their campaigns unless they are very good at ad libing. I would make applying the card require circumstances as difficult as delivering a coup de grace in most cases. Thus it won't be useful for one-shotting enemies. Additionally, any foe that isn't either mentally strong, noticeably insane, or under an external mental influence can just be summarized as "You all go in... you win.". You wouldn't play out such an encounter any more than you would play out the encounter with the ogre bandits (with 1-3 class levels) who didn't realize they were trying to do the "Your money or your life!" thing to a group of 15th level characters rather than a group of 6th level characters.

But conversely, just because it requires a certain type of GM to run a game with one of these guys in it is no excuse for leaving said GM without every resource you can provide them. Descriptions of how what sort of terrain and encounter features various sorts of minds might tend to produce are a must. Topics you should cover include but are not limited to: alignment, various mental illnesses (a few translated into mechanics can be found HERE, but I have no idea of the quality), mental ability scores, will save... and that is only the start of the stuff that can be defined mechanical, not even getting into the purely fluff type stuff which is probably MORE important. It is worth noting is that there are entire RACES of insane creatures in D&D, so describing how a few of those races would tend to work would be very helpful. and what the twists that various types of mind-effecting spells put on all that might be said to be even more important if it weren't for the fact that they require the former two to build on. [Charm], [Dominate], [Figment], [Phantasm], etc... you should probably cover them all, although some of them might be just a few sentences. An example or two would probably be very helpful, even if you only take it as far as giving a detailed character personality description, and then describing their mental landscape with notes on how everything works together. A full-on mini-adventure through an example mind-scape would be even better. If you want to get really ambitious, you could make it something NOT translated directly from the game (with corrections for era).

Statting out the various types of Censors and Personal Demons is probably going to be very helpful.

One thing to consider carefully is that the ability to predict things ahead of time is going to be very useful, especially when a psychonaut is on a team with a prepared caster (as will usually be the case). I would consider carefully between creating a Knowledge(Psychology) skill and just folding it into Diplomacy and/or Sense Motive.

It would be my personal preference that you bone up on your psychology, or even enlist the aid of someone with formal education in the area to tweak your creation to add realism.