PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, I hate it when I lose drawings

Jallorn
2010-08-30, 01:36 AM
So I recently (read within the last couple of weeks) misplaced a map I created. I only discovered that it was missing a couple days ago, and had been building a world that relied on the map. I've all but given up on finding the map, and I know full well that any redrawing I do will be unsatisfactory in my eyes. However, if I want the work I did to be useful, I need to redraw the map.

The reason I hadn't scanned the map? I don't have a scanner.

Well, I just needed to vent, so thanks for listening. I guess I should have a conversation for this thread, yes? How about losing stuff, mostly art, that work?

Skeppio
2010-08-30, 01:39 AM
Aw, that's a real bummer, Jallorn :smallfrown:. I hate losing important stuff the moment I need it.
I wouldn't give up so soon though. Sometime's I've looked deep into my closet and found stuff I lost years ago. :smalleek:

Jallorn
2010-08-30, 01:41 AM
Nah, I spent a day getting stressed and tearing my house apart looking for it. While I didn't look everywhere, I did look everywhere it might conceivably be, and a few places it wouldn't. I don't need to do that again, and I'm pretty sure my mom tossed it out anyway.

Skeppio
2010-08-30, 01:43 AM
Damn, that really does suck. :smallfrown:

factotum
2010-08-30, 07:22 AM
Why would your mother throw something like that out? Have you asked her to check she hasn't "tidied it up" and put it somewhere you haven't thought of looking?

Jallorn
2010-08-30, 12:30 PM
Yeah, she tends to throw away anything she thinks is "out of place". It's annoying, and no matter what I say, she refuses to make the slight effort of checking to see if it's something I wanted to keep.

On other news, I managed to draw an acceptable map. I'd rather have the original, but the one I drew will do just fine.

Commander McCoy
2010-08-30, 12:32 PM
This reminds me, I really need to get a scanner. Sorry about your map, I've had similar experiences so I know how absolutely frustrating it can be, especially when you've put a lot of time and effort into it. :smallannoyed:

Gullara
2010-08-30, 03:45 PM
Man I hate losing stuff. I recently moved so I'm making an effort to keep everything organized.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-31, 08:45 PM
You lost it in your house? Hope you find it.

But that's nothing. I've once lost a map in a city 6 hours away.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-31, 09:01 PM
You lost it in your house? Hope you find it.

But that's nothing. I've once lost a map in a city 6 hours away.

This is why I scan anything once I've completed it.

The Antagonist
2010-08-31, 09:09 PM
I would definitely suggest investing in a scanner. You can find relatively cheap ones just around. They're extremely useful when you're an artist.

Jallorn
2010-08-31, 10:22 PM
I'm not a regular enough artist for it to be cost effective.

Gadora
2010-08-31, 10:25 PM

It might be if you check a few thrift stores.

factotum
2010-09-01, 01:25 AM

A cheap scanner costs less than a decent mouse--if you ever do any artwork at all EVER I'd say it's cost effective!

Skeppio
2010-09-01, 02:03 AM
Scanners are pretty cheap, like printers. It's worth your money in any case. Just grab a cheap simple one.

Gadora
2010-09-01, 04:29 AM
Also, check with your local library. One of your nearby libraries may have a scanner available to the public.

thubby
2010-09-01, 08:57 AM
A cheap scanner costs less than a decent mouse--if you ever do any artwork at all EVER I'd say it's cost effective!

not to mention the other uses they have, such as copying school or work things.

Aedilred
2010-09-02, 12:47 PM
Start throwing away* any of your mum's stuff that looks like it's "out of place". Then, when she complains, tell her you're just following her example. Her binning your stuff is out of order- in fact, her going through your private stuff at all, really, without good reason- and she needs to be trained out of it.

*I would suggest not actually throwing it away, as that would not be appreciated. But stick it under your bed or something until she gets the message.

Jallorn
2010-09-02, 12:49 PM
That would just get me into trouble. You don't reason with my mom, she's always right.

Christopher K.
2010-09-02, 12:55 PM
I've learned that you don't reason with your mother in general. Some mothers are understanding, but others just seem intent on making everything unmanageable(Take mine for instance :smalltongue: ).

My suggestion is the same as previously written: invest in a scanner. Doesn't have to be particularly good, it just has to give you a backup that you can work with when you need to.

Aedilred
2010-09-02, 04:27 PM
Mothers tend to be like that, but even so, you have to set some sort of boundaries. Her throwing away your private belongings is really not on, and you need to make this clear (or clearer, if you've already tried). Eventually she will get the message if you make the point clearly and obviously enough.

Irbis
2010-09-04, 05:19 AM
Start throwing away* any of your mum's stuff that looks like it's "out of place". Then, when she complains, tell her you're just following her example. Her binning your stuff is out of order- in fact, her going through your private stuff at all, really, without good reason- and she needs to be trained out of it.

That's only a good solution if he wants to be put "out of place" by his mom :smallamused:

onthetown
2010-09-04, 02:08 PM
I remember a time when I was about 8 years old that I made (what I thought to be) a masterpiece. I was so proud of it and I kept it closeby my desk so that it would always be in safekeeping.

My mom decided to clean my room one day and threw it out. She didn't like the show that I watched that had inspired it (DragonBall Z) and figured it was just another drawing that I didn't want to keep.

More similarly to your own story, I've lost about three versions of my world's map so far and all you can really do is to keep making them. Even though it won't be exactly the same, you can take the time to make improvements and will notice what you want to improve even if you previously thought it was too awesome to change.

(The fourth version of my map is safely kept right now. :smalltongue: )

DwarvenExodus
2010-09-04, 03:10 PM

*I would suggest not actually throwing it away, as that would not be appreciated. But stick it under your bed or something until she gets the message.

This. Eventually she should get the message.

EDIT: I just pictured a hilarious scene where neither one was willing to give in, and within a month the house had been stripped bare, with everyone sitting on the floor, arms and legs crossed.

Jallorn
2010-09-04, 03:15 PM
This. Eventually she should get the message.

EDIT: I just pictured a hilarious scene where neither one was willing to give in, and within a month the house had been stripped bare, with everyone sitting on the floor, arms and legs crossed.

That's only a good solution if he wants to be put "out of place" by his mom :smallamused:

Yeah, I'm 18, my Mom would toss me out on my but.

Well, not exactly, but she'd probably stop feeding me for starters.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-04, 08:35 PM
The reason I hadn't scanned the map? I don't have a scanner.

Digital camera? I know the clarity is all messed up when it's uploaded, but you could edit it that on some sort of image program like photoshop.

thubby
2010-09-04, 08:41 PM
Digital camera? I know the clarity is all messed up when it's uploaded, but you could edit it that on some sort of image program like photoshop.

since money is clearly an issue, paint.net is a free program that would be more than enough for simple game maps.

Jallorn
2010-09-04, 08:43 PM
since money is clearly an issue, paint.net is a free program that would be more than enough for simple game maps.

Not a simple game map. It's a map of a world.

But I made a new one, so it's a moot point.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-04, 08:43 PM

I picked up adobe photoshop elements (and someother programs) as well as a tablet pen in a bundle pack for less than $100. Expensive, but a good deal.

xPANCAKEx
2010-09-04, 09:36 PM
why all the talk of getting a scanner?

just buy a folder and tidy your stuff up - its her house, so while you're under her roof, keep the communal areas as tidy as she'd like them, or at least leave a large, clear and very visable note saying something like "work in progress, please dont remove"