PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Wanted-Fun magic items

Ilmryn
2010-08-30, 08:24 PM
I need a variety of low-cost, fun magic items. These are mostly to do fun things outside of combat, although usefulness is a bonus. Homebrew away.

NOTE-If there already is a thread like this, please link to it.

DrWeird
2010-08-30, 08:45 PM
Here are some old ones I found in my D&D folder, I can't find the prices or spells for creation, but COPYPASTE AHOY

Miner’s Blessing - A small rose [Petals, bud, stalk & one leaf near the top] made entirely of silver. When the closed, shining bulb is kissed, it blooms and the silver rosebloom shines as a magical torch with an effective light range of a magical fire or torch of up to 10 ft in regular darkness for five minutes 3/day before gently closing back into a silver bulb. In addition, holding it up to a wall of any type of nonmagical stone 2/day and touching the bud to the stone grants the wielder knowledge of the space beyond the rock in a 5-ft area; i.e., they could detect the stone was hollow beyond the layer it touches or if it was solid rock or if the solid rock held something (It doesn’t reveal what the stone holds, only that there is mass of something within, even if it’s just empty space despite not explicitly telling what is inside. In addition, it can’t reveal the presence of things within a hollow in the rock – only that there is a hollow.)

Gloves of Menthil – A pair of simple leather gloves gilded with small blue sigils on the tips of the fingers. When the gloves come in contact with any concoction or potion – magical or not – 3/day, it reveals the nature of the substance. It doesn’t reveal the explicit items, only if it is poisonous or not, whether it is beneficial, what it may possibly cure, etc.

Dag’s Cover – A durable, plain black eyepatch with a single tiny diamond in the center. When it is slipped on, the wearer can discern the predominant emotion of anyone they see in a color-coded aura; this effect is similar to an ability that allows one to detect a creature’s aura, but displays only a colored outline shifting around anyone seen. If the diamond is removed, the eyepatch stops functioning, and the diamond turns to a speck of coal.

Temotei
2010-08-30, 10:12 PM
Marvelous pigments (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9252784&postcount=1) and feather tokens (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8705560&postcount=1).

Xefas
2010-08-30, 10:31 PM
Drow Wedding Gift
This brightly wrapped box is light-weight and sports a massive decorative bow. When the box is opened- OH GOD SPIDERS, AAAAARGH, WHY!? WHY!? WHERE IS MY GOD NOW?! A Spider Swarm is magically spawned in the same space as the opener and immediately joins battle, almost certainly gaining a surprise round. They will viciously concentrate on the box-opener first, but afterward become a free-willed mass of angry spiders. The spiders last only 10 minutes before disappearing.

The colloquial name "Drow Wedding Gift" is derived both from the Drow affinity for spiders, but also for their propensity to murder their spouses.

Faint Conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Summon Swarm; Price 300gp

AugustNights
2010-08-30, 10:39 PM
Example of application of the Drow wedding gift (http://tabts-comic.com/?comic=79)

Xefas
2010-08-30, 10:49 PM
Example of application of the Drow wedding gift (http://tabts-comic.com/?comic=79)

LOL. I think the best part of that, for me anyway, was that I read one comic ahead of the one linked, and it had already guessed what my next magic item was going to be.

I guess I'll have to come up with something else besides a pokeball full of bees.

EDIT (as not to double-post): And here it is:

Puzzle Disk of Wise Tutelage

This astoundingly complicated puzzle is a stone disk about 1-foot across. Various pieces of it can be moved and manipulated to form patterns and allow further access to ever-deeper mechanisms, culminating in a small hollow compartment in the center.

To solve the disk fully requires three consecutive successful DC 20 Intelligence checks, each check requiring four hours of uninterrupted work. If a check is failed, the user's mind is frustrated and must wait a full 48 hours before reattempting to solve the disk.

Once the disk is fully solved, the true wisdom of the thing is imparted. Or, rather, it simply explodes, dealing 6d6 force damage to the solver with no save. Anyone within 10 feet takes the same damage, but is allowed a DC 14 Reflex save for half. The disk is destroyed in the process.

Faint Abjuration; CL 5; Craft Wondrous Item, Explosive Runes; Price 750gp

---

EDIT #2:

Shovel of Exquisite Digging

This painstakingly well-crafted shovel has a dark, expensive-looking wooden haft. Holding it imparts a wondrous excitement towards the prospect of digging upon the wielder.

When the Shovel of Exquisite Digging is actually shoved into any earthen material, it electrocutes the wielder, dealing 1d6 electricity damage, and then explodes, dealing 1d4 fire damage to everyone within 10 feet of the shovel, no save.

Faint Evocation; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, Burning Hands, Shocking Grasp; Price 150gp

Lysander
2010-08-31, 10:02 AM
Drow Wedding Gift
This brightly wrapped box is light-weight and sports a massive decorative bow. When the box is opened- OH GOD SPIDERS, AAAAARGH, WHY!? WHY!? WHERE IS MY GOD NOW?!

Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Shovel of Exquisite Digging

That actually could be used as an offensive weapon if you know what it is. Just throw it as an improvised weapon at the dirt by someone's feet.

What I like best are weak but useful items that let players get creative. For example:

Repairing Rope
This appears to be a normal length of silk rope. If it is cut or broken, connecting the severed ends and speaking a command word rejoins them as if there was never a break. This allows the rope to be cut into smaller pieces and rejoined as needed, as well as repairing frayed or damaged sections.

Featherfall China
This fancy dinner plate is enchanted with a permanent Feather Fall spell to never fall fast enough to shatter, no matter how high above the ground it is dropped. It can also remain upright and safely carry down up to one pound of material. The plate is otherwise quite fragile; if it shatters the shards remain magical but can support less weight proportionate to their size.

Endless Wine Bottle
The bottle always looks full of wine but is actually empty. This illusory wine can be poured out without limit, and can fill other contains. The figment is very realistic, and can be felt and even tasted. Of course it cannot sate thirst or cause drunkenness. Any wine poured out vanishes after ten minutes.

Maroon
2010-08-31, 12:08 PM
A free biscuit for the person who knows where this one is from:

Circlet of the Wayfarer
A featureless ring fabricated from an unknown metalloid material, of an apparent diameter to rest comfortably on one's brow. However, whenever the circlet is attempted to put on one's head, it will slide down over one's ears, plunging their head in utter darkness. If an effort is made to slide the ring down over the shoulders, it will apparently increase in diameter again and fall to the ground, revealing to the user nothing but a complete absence of sensory input.

To an outside observer, the wearer will have vanished from sight and touch completely save for the circlet. If the person in this position steps out of the ring and picks it up, it too vanishes from the material plane. He is now alone in what appears to be an indeterminable extradimensional space, seeing nothing, not even himself. If the owner places the ring on the featureless ground again and pulls it up over his feet, he will reappear again where he disappeared.

It is unknown whether the Circlet of the Wayfarer hides the user from all possible pursuers. Supernatural creatures described as "unavoidable" could perhaps follow one into the ring-space.