PDA

View Full Version : Spirit warrior 3.5 PRC please PEACH

Erevar
2010-08-31, 01:41 PM
This prestige class is made in order to combine a barbarian with a divine casting class i am hoping to use this in a game that i am about to play and i need your help in order to make it more balanced or even more unique.

Spirit warrior
Spirit warrior usually appear when a great tribal warrior has a near death experience in which he sees a vision of his animal spirit which brings him back to the world of the living. After that brief encounter with death that person learns how to communicate with his spirit and how to utilize its strength into the battles he has to face. His close connection with his spirit eventually transforms him into a spirit and gives him great power over other spirits.
HD: d8

Requirements

BAB: +4
Skills: Knowledge (nature) 8, Knowledge (the planes) 5
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level divine spells
Feats: Spirit sense
Special: Must be able to rage,must have a spirit guide

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim

Skills per level: 4+Int modifier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Shaman's rage, Rage, Spirit Guide|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Ghost warrior|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Warriors guidance+1d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Spirit's rage|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Will of the guide|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Warriors Guidance +2d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Walk among the ancestors|+1 level of existing spellcasting

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Spirit's rage|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Warrior Guidance +3d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|One with the ancestors, Spirit king|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Rage: Your spirit warrior levels stack with your barbarian levels for determining the power of your rage, including increased bonuses the rage grants and whether or not the rage still tires you.

Spirit guide: Your spirit warrior levels stuck with your spirit shaman levels in order to determine the abilities you gain from your spirit guide.

Shaman's rage: When you enter a rage you are able to rely on your spirit guide to best utilize your magical abilities. While in a rage you are able to cast spells and use the concentrate skill in regards to your spell casting by allowing your spirit guide to temporally possess your body. This ability does not allow you to use anything else that you would otherwise be unable to use during a rage.

Ghost warrior: You gain access to the spirit shaman feature of the same name p.17 Complete divine.

Warriors Guidance: Your intimate connection with the spirit world allows you to tap into the knowledge of the greatest warrior spirit. By expending a spell slot as a swift action during a rage your attacks deal an additional 1d6 damage and you gain an additional attack at your highest attack modifier for a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot. However, this additional attack plus any other you perform using this ability suffer a -2 penalty. At the 6th level the additional damage you gain increases by 1d6 and again at the 9th level.

Spirit's rage: Whenever you cast a spell during a rage your spirit guide may lend you some of its strength. When you cast a spell during a rage your caster level increases by 1, in addition the spell is harder to resist adding +1 to the DC. At the 8th level while casting spells during a rage your caster level increases by 2 and the DC to resist the effects of your spell increases by +2. This caster level cannot increase your caster level beyond your total HD. However you lose access to the abilities granted by your spirit guide for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell you just cast using this ability.

Will of the guide: When you enter a rage your close bond spirit guide is able to better protect your mind. Like the spirit shaman follow the guide ability, if you roll a will save against any mind effecting spell or effect and fail you may roll a second will save after one round.

Walk among the ancestors: Whenever you enter a rage you become part spirit your self as your connection with them becomes stronger during that time. When you are in a rage and are willingly moving you turn incorporeal, you can suppress or resume this ability as a move action.

One with the ancestors: Your connection with the spirit realms has reached such heights that you have now become a spirit like your ancestors. You gain the fey type and gain DR 10/cold iron.

Spirit King: By becoming a spirit you are able to command other spirits into doing your bidding. You are able to rebuke spirits as a cleric equal to your HD. As to what is a spirit please check page 17 of Complete Divine. This class feature does not allow you to take feats, which require turn or rebuke. You can however use items, which boost your rebuke check.

Critic away and thank you in advance for any comments.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-31, 02:01 PM
This prestige class is made in order to combine a barbarian with a divine casting class i am hoping to use this in a game that i am about to play and i need your help in order to make it more balanced or even more unique.

Spirit warrior
A spirit warrior is a tribal warrior/shaman who after coming near death awakens to find that his brush with death has blessed with an intimate connection with the spirits of his ancestors. These spirits protect him and guide him through out his life and finally claim them as one who is worthy to become like them and lead them.

HD: d10

Requirements

BAB: +4
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8, Knowledge (the planes) 5
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level divine spells
Feats: Spirit sense
Special: Must be able to rage

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim

Skills per level: 4+Int modifier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Ancestors rage, Rage|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Protected by the Spirits|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Warriors guidance+1d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Improved Ancestors rage|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Voice of the Ancestors|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Warriors Guidance +2d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Walk among the ancestors|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Improved Ancestors rage|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Warrior Guidance +3d6|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|One with the ancestors, Spirit king|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Rage: Your spirit warrior levels stack with your barbarian levels for determining the power of your rage, including increased bonuses the rage grants and whether or not the rage still tires you.

Ancestor’s rage: Whenever you enter a rage you hear the voices of your ancestors, which guide your actions allowing you to enter a kind of nirvana during this state you are able to concentrate. This allows you to use any skills that you would otherwise be unable to do so and also be able to cast spells.

Protected by the Spirits: The spirits of your clan protect you during combat offering advice and sometimes even slightly moving your body out of harms way. You add your Cha modifier, as an insight bonus to your Armor Class this bonus cannot be higher than your level in this class.

Warriors Guidance: Your intimate connection with the spirit world allows you to tap into the knowledge of the greatest warrior of your tribe. By expending a spell slot during a rage your attacks deal additional 1d6 damage and an additional attack at your highest attack modifier for a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot. At the 6th level this damage increases by 1d6 and again at the 10th level.

Improved Ancestors rage: Whenever you cast a spell during a rage your ancestors lend you some of their strength. When you cast a spell during a rage you count as 1 level higher, in addition the spell is harder to resist adding +1 to the DC. At the 8th level you count as 2 levels higher and the DC increases by +2. This caster level cannot increase your caster level beyond your total HD.

Voice of the Ancestors: Now you hear the voices and advices of your ancestors at all times this make it harder for anyone to attempt to sway your will. Whenever you have to roll a Will save you roll two times and keep the better result.

Walk among the ancestors: Whenever you enter a rage you become part spirit your self as your connection with them becomes stronger during that time. When you are in a rage you gain the phantom template from monster manual 5 p.130

One with the ancestors: Your connection with the spirit realms has reached such heights that you have now become a spirit like your ancestors. You become a fey gaining DR 10/cold iron and magic.

Spirit King: By becoming a spirit you are able to command other spirits into doing your bidding. You are able to rebuke spirits as a cleric equal to your HD. As to what is a spirit please check page 17 of Complete Divine. This class feature does not allow you to take feats, which require turn or rebuke. You can however use items, which boost your rebuke check.

Critic away and thank you in advance for any comments.

d10 health, good fort & will saves, full 10/10 caster progression, rage in name only that apparently has no real downside and allows any skills to be used, ethereal/incorporeal among other things, permanent stoneskin with an improvement of needing cold iron and magic to overcome instead of just magic, roll for will saves twice and pick the better all the time an unlimited number of times/day, add charisma bonus to AC, bonus's to caster level... this seems a bit on the powerful side with almost no downsides, about the only thing missing is evasion.

Erevar
2010-09-01, 09:50 AM
Made several changes which i hope will help to balance this prestige if anyone has some advice as to what i should change to make it better please feel free to say so.

Erevar
2010-09-02, 10:45 PM
change the flavor of the class to combine with the spirit shaman which was what i was going for i hope that this is a better attempt then my earlier drafts. And i am dying for some feedback on this prestige.

Pechvarry
2010-09-07, 02:10 PM
5 days isn't too long to bring something back up to the front, is it? I'll give a quick critique:

I like most of your recent version. Spirits (Spirit's?) Rage needs to specify that your caster level is increasing, not simply your level. Warrior's Guidance states improvements at 6th and 10th level instead of 6th and 9th. Wording stuff like that isn't too important for an internal use class, but don't give your DM a reason to make you wait through a dead level for 3 new class features at 10.

The big thing right now, is pretty much at-will incorporeality. I'm not sure I like that. Perhaps you're different, but I don't really like the idea of starting every battle by getting mad and disappearing until everything's dead. I'd suggest another spell slot deal: sacrifice a spell as a swift action, become incorporeal for <spell level> rounds.

I'm tempted to say you could get away with upping the class to full BAB, but Warrior's Guidance will take you far. It'd probably be fair to treat Warrior's Guidance more like a Flurry and lose the caveat about not stacking with haste (again). Make you a little divine, weapon-wielding monk.

Erevar
2010-09-07, 09:22 PM
Actually i was thinking about changing this ability to function somewhat like the phantom templates ability which states that while he is willingly moving he is able to turn incorporeal. Btw i am going to implement the change about making the additional attack like flurry.

Mephibosheth
2010-09-07, 10:21 PM
First of all, I love the idea of more options for spirit shaman players. The flavor of combining barbarian and spirit shaman works really well, and I think that, in general, you've made the rage/spell-casting combination work fairly elegantly. Incidentally, this class would work great paired with the Spirit Rager (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8626609&postcount=5) feat from my Homebrew Spirit Shaman Handbook. If you don't mind, I'll add a link to your PrC to the index.

Here are my comments:

Warriors Guidance: Your intimate connection with the spirit world allows you to tap into the knowledge of the greatest warrior spirit. By expending a spell slot as a swift action during a rage your attacks deal additional 1d6 damage and an additional attack at your highest attack modifier for a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot, however this additional attack plus any other you perform using this ability suffer a -2 penalty. At the 6th level this damage increases by 1d6 and again at the 9th level.
I think I understand what this ability does, but the wording is kinda funky. Can you spend any spell slot to gain this ability? Does spending a higher-level spell slot give you extra bonuses? Does it last until the end of the rage?

Without knowing the answers to those questions, I would re-word it something like this:

Your intimate connection with the spirit world allows you to tap into the knowledge of the greatest warrior spirit. Whenever you enter a rage, you can expend a spell slot as part of the action of entering a rage. For the duration of the rage, you may make one additional attack at your highest base attack bonus whenever you make a full attack, but this attack and all other attacks that round are at a -2 penalty. Additionally, all your attacks for the duration of the rage deal an extra 1d4 points of damage per spell level of the slot sacrificed. For example, if you expend a 3rd level spell slot, your attacks deal an extra 3d4 points of damage for the duration of the rage.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it seems clearer to me.

Spirit's rage: Whenever you cast a spell during a rage your spirit guide may lend you some of its strength. When you cast a spell during a rage you count as 1 level higher for casting it, in addition the spell is harder to resist adding +1 to the DC. At the 8th level you count as 2 levels higher and the DC increases by +2. This caster level cannot increase your caster level beyond your total HD. However you lose access to the abilities granted by your spirit guide for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell you just cast using this ability.
I like this ability, especially the loss of spirit guide abilities. It's flavorful and interesting. That said, I agree with Pechvarry that it could use a bit of rewording. I would say something like this:

Your caster level increases by 1 for all spells cast during your rage. In addition, the save DCs to avoid the effects of your spells increase by 1 for the duration of your rage.

One with the ancestors: Your connection with the spirit realms has reached such heights that you have now become a spirit like your ancestors. You become a fey gaining DR 10/cold iron.
So, does your type actually change to fey or do you just gain the DR? A change in type has pretty significant implications, especially with regard to spells like Hold Person or abilities like Resist Nature's Lure. If there is a type change, say so explicitly. If not, don't mention changing to fey at all.

All in all, an interesting PrC. I'd certainly consider taking it for a more martial spirit shaman build.

Mephibosheth

Pechvarry
2010-09-08, 11:33 AM
I think I understand what this ability does, but the wording is kinda funky. Can you spend any spell slot to gain this ability? Does spending a higher-level spell slot give you extra bonuses? Does it last until the end of the rage?

I think Warrior's Guidance is quite clear. For a number of rounds equal to spell level sacrificed, you gain +xd6 and an additional attack. X scales with class level. Your version is about 18 times as powerful (it's practically arcane strike for the entire encounter from one measly spell slot), so I'm going to say keep it as-is.

Mephibosheth
2010-09-08, 03:03 PM
On second reading, you're right. I must have missed the rounds/spell level qualifier. I still think the explanation is a little awkward, but not as much as I thought initially.

Thanks for catching that for me.

Mephibosheth