PDA

View Full Version : Combat System Help for New TTRPG

Blackfootdog
2010-09-03, 01:58 AM
Hi all! To get straight to the point, I am in need of a combat/weapons system for a tabletop rpg I'm making. So far, I have somthing like this worked out: A character's skill in a weapon category, e.g., 'shotguns', would determine his capabilities with weapons that fall under that category. As of right now, each weapon has it's own 10 lvls, with some weapons being grouped together. To elaborate, a char with 42/100 points in 'pistol skill' would be able to use all of that weapons stats up to the fourth level, since the points/lvl ratio is 10/1. A character with 0-9 points in a weapons skill could only use that weapon's zero lvl(low damage die, negative roll mods, no beneficial effects), while a char with 100 weapons skill could use that weapons lvl 10 features(high damage die, positive roll mods, use of beneficial effects such as 'headshot', etc.). I'm planning on a d20-esqe rules/combat system, but that is not set in stone. So, what do you think of this system? What do you like? What do you HATE:smallbiggrin:? Please, be HONEST! Feel absolutely free to scrap everything all together and come up with your own system, all critiques and ideas are welcome.

Oh, and if you're interested, the setting is modern/post-modern zombie apocalypse. Thanks!

Knaight
2010-09-03, 06:37 AM
If there are ten levels of skill, the experience should involve 10 levels, not 100. Other than that, it sounds like an interesting idea that could work.

BlackSheep
2010-09-03, 08:42 AM
You might get a better response in the Homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15).

Erloas
2010-09-03, 09:41 AM
10 levels of skills for each weapon type seems like overkill to me. I don't see how you could really differentiate more then a few types of weapons with that much range on the weapon skill.

Maybe if it were something simple like each level adds a +1 to damage or range or accuracy (possibly alternating which bonus a weapon gets for certain levels), but much more then that I think would be too hard to keep track of. If there is any progression/improvements in weapons it could really mess with your level progression system if you are changing much with that progression.

Also with a very long weapon skill progression system you could very well essentially limit any one character to only ever using a single weapon type.

Vaynor
2010-09-03, 10:46 AM
The Red Towel: This belongs in Homebrew. Moved.

Thinker
2010-09-03, 11:56 AM
10 levels of skills for each weapon type seems like overkill to me. I don't see how you could really differentiate more then a few types of weapons with that much range on the weapon skill.

Maybe if it were something simple like each level adds a +1 to damage or range or accuracy (possibly alternating which bonus a weapon gets for certain levels), but much more then that I think would be too hard to keep track of. If there is any progression/improvements in weapons it could really mess with your level progression system if you are changing much with that progression.

Also with a very long weapon skill progression system you could very well essentially limit any one character to only ever using a single weapon type.

Assuming that things level up the way that DnD characters level up, after the first 5 - 8 levels or so you're beyond human skill levels anyway. Adding on additional benefits and granularity could be fun.

To the OP: Does this replace the BAB mechanic? Do classes get a pool of "weapon points" based on their function that can then be distributed to the weapons the character chooses to specialize in? Could you give more information about your custom system (like is it based on any current systems?)?