PDA

View Full Version : Layer of the Abyss where I'd find devils?

Lix Lorn
2010-09-03, 02:57 PM
Where would I be likely to find large quantities of devils?
And, is it hot? Stony? Cold? Icy?

I need the info for a campaign I want to run, and I don't want to have to wait until I get hold of the Fiendish Codexes.

Halp?

Herbstfarben
2010-09-03, 03:00 PM
Usually devils are associated with lawfulness, while the abyss is described as chaotic. So the only devils you will find there are the ones fighting in the blood war.
That is assuming the standard (forgotten realms and the like) cosmology.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-03, 03:03 PM
Oh. :smalleek:

In that case, where would I find them? And what's it like there?

Zaydos
2010-09-03, 03:09 PM
Baator, and it varies from layer to layer.

The top layer is fairly war torn if I'm remembering correctly (haven't really read over them in several years). Bel rules over it and its the staging grounds for the armies of Hell.

The 2nd layer is Dis, ruled by Dispater. It's a giant city.

The 3rd layer is... I forget. Might be the one which has devils constantly building cities only to have them sink into the muck.

There are 2 icy layers, one layer that got changed during 3.0/3.5 (used to have rolling boulders and a night hag ruler, now is ruled by Asmodeus's daughter and is a living plane of death, I think... not the best on my FCII), and there's the final layer where Asmodeus rules and it hosts more devils than the other 8 layers put together, a great city, and wastelands with huge canyons supposedly made when Asmodeus fell so hard it made a huge pit which is the 9 layers of Baator. I can look in the books sometimes, but this is just from vague memory.

DeltaEmil
2010-09-03, 03:10 PM
The abyss is the place where demons are the most numerous and dominant creatures there.

The devils' dominion lies in the nine hells of baator.

Of course, both types of fiends can also live on any other sort of evil plane (typically called the lower planes).

And then there's the third rather obscure type called yugoloths, or daemons, who stalk mostly on hades and gehenna, but also work as treacherous mercenaries for both devils and demons.

kc0bbq
2010-09-03, 03:16 PM
There's also demodands (renamed gehreleths in the great undemoning of 2nd edition), which are generally (like with devils, demons, and daemons the borders are fuzzy) live in Tarterus/Carceri.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-03, 03:16 PM
(nods rapidly)
Baator.

I may just homebrew a bit; seems simpler if I mix canon and my version.

Eldan
2010-09-03, 03:27 PM
You'd find them in Hell. Baator.

All nine layers of it. Let's see for conditions...

Avernus: wasteland with fireballs raining from the sky. Constant warfare and marching armies.

Dis, the Iron City. The entire plane is a fortified city of glowing hot, iron buildings.

Minauros, an endless swamp, with a city endlessly sinking into it and dragged back up by slaves. Also, acid rain.

Phlegetos, a land of volcanoes, ash and rivers of flame.

Stygia, filled with a black ocean fed by the river styx and floating ice. Also, constant lightning storms.

Malebolge, consisting only of steep, craggy mountains, deep pits and dark caverns.

Maladomini, consisting of polution, vermin, mines and ruins. Cities are constantly being built and torn down.

Cania, a cold and empty wasteland.

Nessus, a land of bottomless pits and Asmodeus' citadel of Malsheem.

I think Wiki has articles on them. Also, there's Planewalker. (www.planewalker.com)

Evil the Cat
2010-09-03, 05:01 PM
They're most commonly found in Hell, not the Abyss.

However,the blood war means there are invasions and outposts and strongholds for both factions in different areas. The abyss has "infinite" layers. So all you need to do is have a layer of the abyss that has largely fallen to the Devil invasion. As an added bonus, you can have it be whatever kind of layer you want, since the abyss does all kinds of evil badness. As long as its still chaos and evil dominant, it fits.

LOTRfan
2010-09-03, 05:21 PM
If we're also talking about the environments of each, I must bring up my favorite area in Minauros: The City of Chains (Jangling Hiter). It is where souls are eternally tormented by Chain Devils. Their screams can be heard for miles. A great setting for an adventure. :smallbiggrin: