PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger + Points of Light [4E Default Setting]

Leliel
2010-09-04, 08:28 PM
Firstly: This is not my idea, it's something I found on RPGnet.

That being said, I think it's an awesome enough idea to the point it needs reposting.

I'm talking about the time travel. The implied setting (known as PoLand) has a lot of history for a "bare-bones" setting. So much that it should be eminently possible to run a campaign based on time-travel. And with that that comes all the shenanigans (read: time-screwing) that the Chrono Trigger characters get up to - saving a princess from being erased from time because the hero that was supposed to save her great-grandmother from monsters found her ditzy time-travelling great-granddaughter instead. Turning a greedy man honest by showing his grandmother kindness 100 years ago. Infusing a sunstone with solar power by leaving it in a temple at 65 billion BC and travelling to the present day. Really showing it to the main villain's henchman by beating her up, and then go back in time to her undefeated form to beat her up again.

Eh, I ramble, and those Chrono Trigger references might be rather nonsensical. But it looks like it could be fun. Anyway, original Chrono Trigger limited itself to certain "eras" so I figured I'd look up what eras exist in PoLand. This WOTC thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1066620) and The ENWorld Wiki helps (http://www.enworld.org/wiki/index.php/Points_of_Light#Historical_Knowledge).

* Most recent: The empire of Nerath. Going there during the war with the Gnoll army is interesting, but there is something to be said for just using it as a large empire as opposed to the scattered villages of "present day". Apparently the Warforged are created in this period - Warforged PC:s travelling to before this time will be really exotic sights.
* The war between Arkhosia and Bael Turath. Having the characters engage in politicking in the two nations isn't bad either. Woe to any dragonborn/tiefling PC who shows himself in the wrong nation. The Turatian city of Vor Kragal is detailed in a Dragon article, one could imagine some shenanigans in past and future Vor Kragal.
* Before that, there's a Yuan'ti empire, an illithid empire, a hobgoblin empire, dwarf empires, and whatever else you can make up (those I listed are "official"). All of them fell for unknown reasons.
* Those Eladrin cities are Really Old. Time-screwing works there too. Add in an NPC Eladrin who is alive in two eras for extra fun.
* And before that, there's the whole Dawn War between primordials and gods. Probably interesting times, in the chinese-proverb sense. And in the Epic Level Awesome Showdown sense.

As for metaplot, something might be responsible for toppling all the empires. A primordial? Melora? Tharizdun? An actual Lavos is probably best explained as a Far Realms beastie - a relatively lucid one. No matter what, make sure to stat up the culprit for a level 33 fight. ;)

For my personal, Exalted morality-flavored tastes, I would deal with the moral ramifications of altering timelines: Every action changing the past leads to a different future-which means the destruction of the future that originally was.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-04, 09:57 PM
This idea is awesome and I completely approve!! :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Redshirt Army
2010-09-04, 10:00 PM
FUND IT!

I would LOVE to be part of something like this... as a player, DM, co-creator, intrigued bystander, whatever! Just gimme my D&D/Chrono Trigger Mix!

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-04, 11:27 PM
I am now going to work on homebrewing Lavos. Darn you for unintentionally forcing me onto a project.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-05, 01:37 AM
YES. I will watch this!

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-05, 01:40 AM
The OP project or Lavos? If it is the latter, chances are that I will disappoint you horribly.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-05, 01:46 AM
both. this is just too good to pass up.

make sure to make Lavos 30th level

and the Time Devourer 32nd level

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 02:32 AM
A Chrono-Trigger style campaign?....

That deserves:

http://raspberryrunner.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/awesome1.jpg

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-05, 04:10 AM
Sorry guys. I just noticed this is 4e. I have no understanding of or access to 4e materials, including basic, much less epic, monster design.
I sometimes forget that 3.5e is dead.

Leliel
2010-09-05, 09:50 AM
Hey, don't feel bad.

There is such a thing as Pathfinder.

Zaq
2010-09-05, 12:30 PM
Huh.

On the one hand, I have a starting attitude of Unfriendly or Indifferent to WotC's default 4e fluff. On the other hand, I love Chrono Trigger, and I totally approve of trying to flesh out limp fluff by having the players actually live it.

I'm going to have to say that this sounds pretty sweet.