PDA

View Full Version : halfling-half goblin 3.5

urbanwolf
2010-09-04, 11:11 PM
I have a player interested in playing a half-goblin halfling
I could not find anything official so I created my own I just want to see if more experienced DM's think it is balanced

+2 dex -2 str -2 cra
30ft movement (like a goblin)
Darkvision 60 ft
small size
+2 bonus on fear saves (as fearless as their halfling parent but not as resistant so no +1 to all saves)
no racial bonus to climb or jump(but the 10 feet extra feet makes them better then halflings at jumping anyway)
+1 on listen checks (better ears then a goblin but not as good as a pure halfling)
+2 move silently(naturally sneaky)
+4 to ride or +1 on throw weapons and slings
depending on what kind of community the player grew up with
If she grew up with callings +1 to throw weapons because she grew up playing halfling sports if she grew up with goblins she get +4 ride dues to growing up with beasts of burden and worgs/wolfs/medium sized cats or what ever reason goblins are good at riding

-2 racial on gather info, diplomacy and some bluff checks(not feints)
other people always see the features of the race they dislike most in the face of the halfling- half goblin
i.e. a dwarf would focus on the goblin features and thus distrust the player

the penalty goes away when dealing with creatures that don't dislike either race or when dealing with other halfling half goblins
or when the player disguises it self as a pure blood goblin or halfling

Jarrick
2010-09-04, 11:54 PM
Looks balanced enough. I wouldnt call it overpowered or underpowered and the concept is certainly interesting. If half-orcs can happen, why couldnt this? I think I'd go ahead and give them +4 on move silently checks, since both races get bonuses to it though. I might have to steal this at some point, btw. :smallbiggrin:

Now someone needs to cross a hobgoblin with a human to make a medium goblinoid without a level adjustment that isnt a bhuka.

And while you're at it, maybe a kobold (or human!) with a lizardfolk to make a medium reptilian humanoid without a level adjustment.

What else could come from this line of thought...?

...This inspires me... ::Runs off to create monstrosity races::

Temotei
2010-09-04, 11:59 PM
What else could come from this line of thought...?

Bugbear-elves? Ooze-gnomes? Cockatrice-halflings? Rast-dwarves? :smalltongue:

Jarrick
2010-09-05, 12:01 AM

Would ooze gnomes feel any less out-of-place than regular gnomes? :smalltongue:

How about bugbear Dwarves! So much hair! That has to be worth some natural armor!

Edit: Actually, what about Azer-dwarves? Like fire genasi but more dwarf-flavored. This needs its own thread. lol.

Rithaniel
2010-09-05, 12:27 AM

Avolakia-Goliaths. Bone-Naga-Centaurs. Jovoc-Goblins. Dire-Camel-Dragon-Elves. (゚ヮ゚ )

LOTRfan
2010-09-05, 07:33 AM
Actually, what about Azer-dwarves? Like fire genasi but more dwarf-flavored. This needs its own thread. lol.

That actually exists somewhere. Can't find the stats for a Half-Azer dwarf at the moment, but the offspring of a Half-Azer dwarf and a dwarf is an Azerblood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetouched).

Jarrick
2010-09-05, 09:01 AM
That actually exists somewhere. Can't find the stats for a Half-Azer dwarf at the moment, but the offspring of a Half-Azer dwarf and a dwarf is an Azerblood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetouched).

Huh, who knew there were so many planetouched varieties. cool.

Mulletmanalive
2010-09-05, 10:23 AM

According to the Wikipedia entry, they come from Dragon #350, so that might be a good place to look?

LOTRfan
2010-09-05, 10:41 AM
I thought of that too, but when I looked, it was just statistics for planetouched. It would've been nice if they also had the stats for the half-outsider parent there, though. :smallfrown:

Any way, I like the idea of the halfling half-goblin. Out of curiosity, will you be making more half-goblinoid races (as some one else mentioned before)?

Latronis
2010-09-07, 06:34 AM
does anybody actually hate halflings though?

LOTRfan
2010-09-07, 08:40 AM
Hobbits Halflings are great! How could anyone hate them?

They farm and have fun all day, sitting in their nice comfortable houses away from all danger. They look down upon adventurers, AND throw awesome parties.

They are wanderers, and thieves, and party-lovers. They have at least six different subraces and are different from each other in most campaigns (don't like the Eberron Lightfoots? Get some Dark Sun Tallfellows :smallamused:). Halflings are more then just short humans, they're a nimble race of diverse creatures.

Latronis
2010-09-07, 04:35 PM
that's my point, about the only common thread throughout all halflings everywhere is that they get along with everything. more or less.

Jarrick
2010-09-07, 07:38 PM
that's my point, about the only common thread throughout all halflings everywhere is that they get along with everything. more or less.

apparently that includes goblins. :smallamused:

ericgrau
2010-09-07, 07:46 PM
Very well put together and balanced.

As for the halfling hate, I thought he meant that when you're half greenskin you look ugly to everyone who isn't greenskin and the greenskins feel the same way about you. So ya, nobody likes you. Kinda like half orcs except they haven't had time to gain acceptance. Though the charisma penalty alone could have handled this. Meh doesn't make a big difference either way.

Latronis
2010-09-07, 08:11 PM
oh right, that makes sense. Though it's not what it says though.

LOTRfan
2010-09-07, 09:39 PM

If it makes you feel better, the Dark Sun versions of the Halfling races are hated intensely (except by the Rajaat), especially by those in their cooking pots.:smallwink:

urbanwolf
2010-09-08, 12:55 AM
does anybody actually hate halflings though? Well kobolds are not very found of them, they look like fay and trade with gnomes. Orcs, ogers, and the such don`t mind haveing a goblin work for them, but tend to see halflings as goodie-two-shoes (there must be a good hobbit joke in that). Might be some xenophopic humens that see halflings as nothing but dirty thievs, but they would not be to happy to see goblins either ;)