PDA

View Full Version : Battle Medic

monkman
2010-09-05, 06:49 PM
Battle Medic

Abilities: Wisdom is the most important ability for a battle medic, it governs his spells per day. Strength and constitution are also important for a battle medic. Strenght helps him attack and damage. Constitution helps him absorb the damage and for the concentration check.

Role: A battle medic role is to heal,buff and fight,he is skilled in all the roles.

Background Most battle medic train in churches to going the army wher ethey are very appreciated but there are case where some of them beacoming parts of adventuring groups.

Organization Battle medic usally are in the town milita or with a church.

Alignment A batle medic tends to go toward good, it is uncommon to have a evil battle medic, if they are evil they mostly work for greed or for power. They are mostly lawfull beacuse of the training that they had to do before they became battle medics.

Races Mostly all races can have battle medic but humans are the most common. Dwarfs also have a number of battle cleric. Half-orcs are good battle medics beacuse of there raw power.

Hit die:D10
Starting Gold: Same as fighter
Class features

Skill The battle medic's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex),Climb (Str),Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump(Str) ,Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at First Level:(2 + Intelligence Modifier) x 4
Skill Points Per Level After First: 2+ Intelligence Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Domain selection(2),Domain feat(Healing Proctetion, Strength, War)domain points|3|1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3||4|2|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Augment Healing|4|2|1|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Healing Circle ( minor) 1/day|4|3|2|-|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4||4|3|2|1|-|-

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Imbued Healing|4|3|3|2|-|-|-

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+2|
+5||4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+2|
+6||4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Quicken or Empower 4/day|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Healing Circle2/day|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+3|
+7||4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Quicken or Empower 4/day|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+4|
+8||4|4|4|4|3|3|2|1|-|-

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+4|
+9||4|4|4|4|3|3|3|2|-|-

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Quicken or Empower 5/day|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|1|-

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Healing Circle3/day|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|3|2|-

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10||4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Quicken or Empower 6/day|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12||4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Domain points:A battle medic get 1 domain pointe lv 1,3 points when he is able to cast lv 2 spells,5 points when he is able to cast lv 3 spells,etc. For every spell lv of the domain spell a battle cleric needs 1 domain point. He can not cast twice the same domain spell

Deity:A battle cleric has to chose a god that has one of the following domains;Healing Proctetion, Strength, War

Weapon and Armor Proficiency : A battle medic has proficiency with all amor and shields(except tower shield), simple weapons and 2 martial weapons of his choice

Spells: A battle medic can cast the spells below
0th Cure minor wounds
1st Cure light wounds,Vigor Lesser,Divine favor,Magic weapon
2th Cure moderate wounds,Healing Lorecall,Close Wounds,Bear's endurance, Bull's strength, Resotration Lesser
3th Cure serious woundsl,Vigor, Vigor Lesser(Mass), Remove diease. Remove curse,Weapon of the Deity,Weapon of Energy,Weapon of Impact,Invest Moderate Protection, Flame of Faith
4th Cure critical wounds, Positive Energy Aura,Spirit of Healing, Panacea, Divine power, Greater magic weapon, Restoration
5th Cure light wounds(Mass), Vigor Greater,Raise dead,Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Invest Heavy Protection
6th Heal, Cure moderate wounds(Mass),Bear's endurance(mass), Bull's strength(Mass),Animalistic Power (Mass)
7th Cure serious wounds(Mass), Vigorous Circle, Regenerate,
8th Cure critical wounds(mass), Brilliant Blade
9th Heal (mass) Visage of the Deity(Greater)
To prepare or cast a spell, a battle medic must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a battle medic’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the battle medic’s Wisdom modifier

Like other spellcasters, a battle medic can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. He receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score

Quicken or Empower At level 9 you are able to either quicken or empower healing spells 3/day. The number of time per day you are able to quicken and empower is increased by 1 every 3 levels after level 9.You are not able to quicken and empower a spell.

Healing Circle(minor)(SP) As a standard action you create an aura of healing energy upon which your allies can draw to mend their own wounds. The spell has three charges when cast.Once per round as a standard action, a single allied creature within 30 feet can drain one charge from the healing circle. The first charge so drained functions as a cure moderate wounds, the second is a cure light wounds and the thrid cure 3 damage.The spell effect delivered by each charge functions as if you had personally cast the associated spell, Thus the first charge heals 2d8points of damage +1 point per caster level (maxium 10) and so on.

Healing Circle(SP) As a standard action eveyou create an aura upon which your allies can draw to mend their own wounds. The spell has five charges when cast. Once per round as a standard action, a single allied creature within 30 feet can drain one charge from the healing circle. The first charge so drained functions as a cure critical wounds spell, the second as a cure serious wounds spell, the third as a cure moderate wounds spell, and the fourth as a cure light wounds spell, and the final charge heals only 5 points of damage. A creature must be conscious to draw a charge from the healing circle.
The spell effect delivered by each charge functions as if you had personally cast the associated spell. Thus, the first charge heals 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +20), and so on.

Glimbur
2010-09-05, 07:32 PM
Two things.

1) Why does a battle medic have full BAB?

3) This is the smallest spell list I have ever seen on a class, short of Divine Crusader which is weird. Will people really enjoy casting only healing spells all day?

monkman
2010-09-05, 07:38 PM
1)a battle medic is a fighter that can heal himself.
2)and not to make him over powered i make that is dosent have alot of spells but if you think that wizard spells/day is alright, i could change it.
also what should be hit die? thinking a D8 or D10

Temotei
2010-09-05, 07:40 PM
1)a battle medic is a fighter that can heal himself.
2)and not to make him over powered i make that is dosent have alor of spells but if you think that wizard spell/day is alright, i could change it. also what should be hit die? thinking a D8 or D10

A fighter that can heal himself...but with no bonus feats, so it's really not a fighter. It's a warrior.

Why not allow some spells like guidance, magic weapon, etc. onto the list?

monkman
2010-09-05, 07:42 PM
A fighter that can heal himself...but with no bonus feats, so it's really not a fighter. It's a warrior.

Why not allow some spells like guidance, magic weapon, etc. onto the list?

@temotei , this class isnt finshed, this is my first homrbrew, im just asking for suggestions to make this class better and maybe i should either put more spells and/or bonus feats

Temotei
2010-09-05, 07:48 PM
@temotei , this class isnt finshed, this is my first homrbrew, im just asking for suggestions to make this class better and maybe i should either put more spells and/or bonus feats

So far, it looks like a cleric with full BAB, no turning ability, and only healing spells, with less spells per day and no domains.

I'd go the route of cherry-picking spells from the cleric list that work for a fighter, then give special "domains" that work differently than the cleric domains. For example, you could allow the battle medic to take a number of specific "battle mantles" that augment their combat abilities in different ways, such as giving free bull rush attempts after hitting with a Power Attack that was at a -2(?) penalty or more (probably restricted to a certain number of times per encounter or per day, but that's up to you), or granting an extra attack at your highest attack bonus the round after casting a spell...things like that could be really fun, and would not only add flavor, but unique mechanics to your class.

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 07:49 PM
What tier are you aiming for with these? Tier 3 is generally considered a good balance point, but what advice you'll need will vary depending upon what tier you want them to be.

If you want suggestions on the spell list, the first question is what books are you/can you pull spells from?

There are a lot of good spells in the Spell Compendium, although with a dedication to healing only some (Vigor, Panacea, Revivify, and a 2nd level spell that is an immediate action half-powered cure moderate wounds) are appropriate.

Temotei
2010-09-05, 07:51 PM
...2nd level spell that is an immediate action half-powered cure moderate wounds...

Close wounds, methinks.

monkman
2010-09-05, 07:54 PM
@zaydos any books is fine and i think that rank 3 or maybe on the low part of 2 will be alright
also im changing the spell list to wizards

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 08:00 PM
Well if any book is fine, I made a Sacred Healer* class last year and you could check out its spell list. It got mostly healing spells with some defensive buffs, and some Light based attack spells. It got most of its spells from the PHB/Spell Compendium but it also had some from PHBII, Complete Champion, and the Book of Exalted Deeds. It really had about every Healing spell I could find so you might be able to use its spell list as a springboard for ideas.

*Check the link in my sig to find it; it really took the opposite route as yours steering away from melee and getting ranged healing abilities and class features to make it super healer.

@Temotei: Yeah that's the name.

monkman
2010-09-05, 08:19 PM
should i put restoration, cure diease, remove curse and maybe raise dead?

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 08:24 PM
Are you going for Warrior with Divine Casting? Or Warrior-Healer? If the latter I'd say definitely, if the former you'll want more buff spells and at some point you'll have to compromise one (or both) to make them only be Tier 2.

monkman
2010-09-05, 08:41 PM
it will be more warroir-healer but the buffs are going to be divine favor, magic weapon, bulls str, bear endurance...etc

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 08:50 PM
Honestly I'd say Healing spells, even those to get rid of conditions, aren't going to break the game. They're useful as a way to help the party but they can't create anything like CoDzilla, just look at the Miniature Handbook's healer class which is barely playable (excellent Cohort/DMPC as it won't outshine anyone). Buffs are where you have to be more careful as buffs are what makes CoDzilla, but they do need some buffs to be fun and/or playable. So until there's a list of spells what we can say is rather limited.

Also which option are you going for with their casting, are they like clerics, beguilers, or sorcerers? As long as their list is really small cleric or beguiler would be best (for example if all they get is healing spells I'd go beguiler/warmage style), but the wider it gets the more powerful they become (the difference between Wizard and Sorcerer is spellbook versus spells known; that's the difference between strong tier 2 and possibly the strongest Tier 1).

mootoall
2010-09-05, 08:51 PM
I really think that, for this class to work, it would need some sort of class features. Perhaps a few, further spread out bonus feats?

monkman
2010-09-05, 09:01 PM
i suppose that there will be cleric style and do you have a suggest for when i get bonus feats.

Temotei
2010-09-05, 09:05 PM
i suppose that there will be cleric style and do you have a suggest for when i get bonus feats.

Fighters get feats at 1st, 2nd, and at every even level after...so I'd say a bonus feat at 1st/2nd, then bonus feats every four levels after wouldn't be terrible.

That's kind of boring, though. :smallsigh:

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 09:07 PM
Well possibly fighter bonus feats, but also: Augment Healing (Complete Divine) and Touch of Healing (Complete Champion), maybe even Devotion feats or possibly a limited selection of Devotion feats (Healing Devotion and Protection Devotion would be the two best suited for a healer, while War and Strength make sense for a warrior). Oh and Combat Casting.

I'd actually say not too many bonus feats and give them some unique class features as well, even if they are mostly minor abilities (possibly an ability so that when casting Conjuration (Healing) spells they auto-succeed on Concentration checks to cast defensively for example).

monkman
2010-09-05, 10:00 PM
it seems good enough , ill put the domain stuff at lv one but for the rest what lv should it be?

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 10:05 PM
What domains are they getting?

I'd say maybe a bonus feat every 4th or 5th level, automatic success to cast Conjuration (Healing) spells cast as a Battle Medic at maybe 3rd, Touch of Healing as a bonus feat at 6th, and... I'll have to think about more abilities they should get. Most of the things I feel like suggesting are the abilities I gave my Sacred Healer class (Aura of Healing, Touch of Healing as a bonus feat, Improved Caster Level with Healing spells, Lay on Hands, bonus on saves versus Death effects), but without knowing what buff spells are on their list and what domains they are getting I can't really say.

monkman
2010-09-05, 10:27 PM
Healing Proctetion, Strength, War are the domains
other than improved healing i douth that i would need other healing feats, i thinkn he should go more fighter like

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 10:32 PM
Well for abilities possibly an escalating ability to either Quicken or Empower Cure spells they cast without increasing the spell level (maximize is worse than empower on Cure spells from 10th level onwards, and equal at 7th and 9th level).

Imbue Healing is a nice feat if they have domains (their healing spells also provide a minor buff) combined with a free Quicken and you actually have a really nice Mass Cure Light Wounds spell.

Also maybe a bonus to damage against Undead? Possibly the ability to charge their weapon with positive energy so many times a day. Those don't seem fully appropriate but they are possibilities.

Maybe an ability to drain life on a hit and grant it to allies as healing or temp HP.

I can suggest more things, but fluff would help give a cohesive idea of what you want these guys to represent.

Edit: Also Augment Healing is a fairly bad feat even for a dedicated healer; Touch of Healing is a much better feat. Even Imbue Healing is better if you have the Healing domain (Temp HP equal to the target's level instead of +2 hp per spell level of the healing spell).

monkman
2010-09-05, 11:00 PM
I think now if i add anymore it will be over powered but thank you very much Zaydos, i couldnt of made it with out you so I give you some cookies
http://marianina.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Cookies.jpg

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 11:04 PM
Only two real notes:
It doesn't have skill points per level listed.
Also do you mean Devotion feat as opposed to Domain feat? Or does it get the Domain? (if it doesn't actually have the Domain Imbued Healing is useless).

monkman
2010-09-05, 11:15 PM
i going to give it domains but with a special condition, its going to have domain points, 1/2 lv and once you use the domain points you will have to rest before you can get them back, a lv 1 domain spell would cost 1 domain point , a lv 9 domain spell would cast 9 points, i am doing this so they people it dosent get one of the only thing that the cleric has.

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 11:18 PM
Seems an interesting enough way to do it, do they choose 1 domain, 2 domains, or get all 4?

monkman
2010-09-05, 11:26 PM
If i give them 2 domains , ill have to give them 1domain point/lv but if i do one domain i'll give them 1domain point/2lvs
which one should i do?
also changed healing circle, it be funny for a lv 4 to cast cure serious wounds

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 11:44 PM
First do they get the domain power?

Second not sure which you should do game mechanically, but you wouldn't actually have to give them more domain points. Even if they can only cast 1 spell from either domain per day the increased versatility would be quite useful in and of itself. You could also make it Healing Domain and 1 other Domain (as they won't be casting any spells from the Healing Domain as they already should have all the healing spells they need but that would give them access to its Imbued Healing [the best one in my opinion] and if they get the Domain power +1 to CL for Healing). Finally you might want to make it 1 Domain Point per level and have the spells cost the same number of points they would if they were Psionic Powers (1 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, etc) as that would give more incentive to use a relatively weak power and increase their versatility a bit.

monkman
2010-09-05, 11:53 PM
i dont think that they should, if they do its practally a cleric with full bab, so for now its no powers

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 11:57 PM
Then the only reason to ever take the Healing domain is for Imbued Healing, but I do agree with you that they don't really need the domain powers.

monkman
2010-09-06, 12:02 AM
should the skill points be 4 /llv or 2/lv?

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 12:03 AM
That's a hard question.

Some people say all classes (except Int based casters) should have at least 4+Int per level.

Personally unless you're implementing that for all/most classes I'd go with 2+ Int like Cleric.

monkman
2010-09-06, 12:20 AM
almost done going to finsh it tommorow