PDA

View Full Version : PCs Corrupting Other PCs

Dust
2010-09-07, 05:25 PM
So in a brand-spankin' new 3.5 game, I'm playing a wizard of some notable power who has stumbled on to an evil Artifact that, if the proper conditions are fulfilled, will grant my character an ascension to demigodhood.

The shtick is that once every hundred thousand years or so, when the sun doth shine and the grass doth grow, a mortal girl would be born with the mark of the gods, etc etc. In this case, it's a fellow PC who is unaware of this destiny but is playing an innocent, 16-year-old paladin. If I can slowly get her character's alignment to go from LG to any evil, and have her kill an innocent in cold blood, the Artifact activates.

So I've taken all the necessary precautions to protect her from discerning my own alignment, and plan on spending months acting good, getting into her graces, then slowly sowing seeds of doubt regarding the 'good guys'' methods. At some point, I'll attempt to orchestrate a no-win situation where she'll fall from paladinhood (though I haven't decided on the specifics yet) and from there it's a slippery slope.

I'm extremely excited for this game. Wondering if you have any tips or off-the-cuff advice for turning the party paladin into a despicable fiend, as well as any stories about your own experiences with any similar sort of game. :smallbiggrin:

Daelen
2010-09-07, 05:40 PM
Have you ever played through the single player campaign in Neverwinter Nights? The main NPC through the first part of that game seems like perfect study material for you. She's a paladin of Tyr who by the end ends up going Blackguard. The fall is not at all quick, its incredibly subtle to watch and its a great concept, in my opinion.

Basically give her something that is very much in line with the paladin's code to accomplish, but make it impossible and make the act of doing it the reasons behind a tragedy of some sort. That way, the fall is painful and in my opinion would be more drastic than some.

Dust
2010-09-07, 05:51 PM
Now there's an idea.
I was young and foolish when last I played NWN, and cared more about building an amazing character than I did about the plot. I am reinstalling it as I type this.

Uncertainty
2010-09-07, 05:53 PM
Have you ever played through the single player campaign in Neverwinter Nights? The main NPC through the first part of that game seems like perfect study material for you. She's a paladin of Tyr who by the end ends up going Blackguard. The fall is not at all quick, its incredibly subtle to watch and its a great concept, in my opinion.

Ooohh, Aribeth... God I loved that game.

The NWNWiki has a page on her Here (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Aribeth), but I can't vouch for it's quality. Better if you don't have time to play through again, (That first campaign was rather slow,) but it's probably not as good as getting the story 'first hand'.

Edit:
On a different note: have you talked to the paladin's player about any of this yet? I assume the player is not as in the dark about the nuances of the plot as his/her poor PC is...