PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Help

Castiel
2010-09-07, 10:19 PM
So, I'm new to the forum, but not very new to the game. However, I'm making two changes. The first- I'm moving to Pathfinder from 3.5 (not a big change, but it changes subtle things, for instance, using outside material). Secondly- I'm discovering Gestalt, because before I was 'sheltered'.

I really like Gestalt, because I feel the almost blasphemous amount of combinations makes it that much easier to make the character you really want to play. Anyways, I'm involved in a campaign and I need to make a Gestalt NPC that will be assisting the PC's for a mission or two. I intend for him to be stronger than the main characters by at least two levels (so 14-16) and fit a certain mold of mold/fluff.

He works for an organization that is similar to the Witcher (a monster hunter like character from a novel written by Andrzej Sapkowski). The character basically needs to be able to attack fast, move fast, be able to make potions, and hunt monsters (now you see why Gestalt is a must). My initial thoughts were:

Rgr1/ alchemist 1
Rgr2/ barbarian 1
Rgr3/ monk 1
Rgr4/ inquisitor 1
Rgr5/ monk 2
Rgr6/ inquisitor 2
Rgr7/ monk 3
Rgr8/ inquisitor 3
Rgr9/ monk 4
Rgr10/ inquisitor 4
Rgr11/ monk 5
etc.
inquisitor 5/ monk 6
(barbarian because they have a rage like thing, but it is almost unnecessary, so I might make it another inquisitor)
But the build seems underpowered/ all over the place.

What would you do to simplify it/ make it a little less hectic? I would be willing to change anything, and if you need more information of the class, check below (Im ignoring their casting ability, and the specifics of their weapons).

The Main Character:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Geralt_of_Rivia

The Witcher:
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher

And all of the pathfinder classes I used:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Home

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Castiel
2010-09-07, 10:22 PM
Also, This is a quote from EN World (originally posted by ruemere) if it helps at all.

Several important points:

1. Witcher is for mature people. Killing monsters is usually secondary to moral and ethical problems. I think that the correct term for the genre is fantasy noir - violence, vices and weakness are most prominent elements of portrayed world.

2. Chief witcher, Geralt, is not just a walking monster killer for hire. He is a sterile mutant (though capable of performing sexually), scarred psychically from his twisted training, prone to bouts of depression and always a little apprehensive of the terrifying killing skills. Other important bits of knowledge:
- his aging is slowed down by his mutation.
- mutated pupils, pale complexion, white hair.

3. Witcher's chilling proficiency in killing is the result of:
- enhanced natural reflexes and healing ability,
- abuse of speed and strength and sense enhancing drugs,
- training in sword, chain combat styles (in the very first story, Geral is using his unique fighting style to mesmerize and confuse his opponent),
- ability to use symbols, basic magic abilities allowing for hurting or keeping monsters at bay,
- extensive training on monster habits and weaknesses (witchers don't fight fair - they always attempt to secure situational advantage).
- special combat training allowing to react to attacks without conscious thinking - the witcher reacts with a series of offensive and defensive manoeuvers. The downside of the training is that the witcher cannot pull punches in combat and always fights with a killing intent - in fact, there are several passages indicating that once sufficiently provoked witcher does not stop until performing at least several killing strikes. For example, one of the main characters commits suicide by attacking witcher and not defending herself against automatic murderous riposte. Another example is that in order to lose a fight (and die) to a human swordsman, the witcher intentionally comes unarmed - his training kicks in, but proves ineffective due to lack of weapons.

4. Witcher equipment:
- two swords, one normal, one made of silver (silver in Witcher's world is more effective against most monsters) - the silver sword damages easily, so the witcher uses it only in special cases,
- silver items,
- magic medallion in the form of silver wolf head (check the wiki page for rendering of one),
- large arsenal of drugs and herbs (some of the drugs are usually poisonous to normal humans)

5. Witcher vs game world.
- most of the stories deal with people attempting to use Witcher skills to their own ends - some monsters appear to be punishment inflicted on people for their sins. By killing them, Witcher sometimes becomes a party to a crime (samples: incest and accompnying curse[the very first story on witcher], mass murder, broken pledges, racial purges and so on). Andrzej Sapkowski often highlights associated moral dilemmas.
- Witchers follow strict code, however the division between monsters and humans/intelligent beings is often blurry. Human beings often prove to as evil as monsters.
- people are usually apprehensive of witchers - the act of killing comes to the all to easily, though, unless given a reason, witcher will never break a codex and attack a human.
- elves are an older race, disappearing from the world. Often bitter, spiteful, hateful of human beings. Often degenerate. One fraction is known for performing terrorist acts.
- other intelligent races - usually also slowly fading into background of encroaching humanity: gnomes, dwarves and rarer ones.
- amorality - numerous important characters act amorally or base their decisions on their needs instead of trying to follow some code of ethics. Common trait of rulers, wizards and prominent characters of the stories.
- betrayal
- authority is usually based on strength of arms instead of order or culture
- abuse of power, abuse of the weak and persecution of minorities are constant themes

Finally, Witchers enter the game world after extensive training. Their starting level should be 5-7th at least and, given their superiority, it's hard to imagine them as regular player characters. These guys are supposed to take on monsters in one-on-one combat, win and survive in the world without easy access to healing.

regards,
Ruemere

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-07, 11:27 PM
This should be in the Roleplaying forum, not the Homebrewing ask the mods to move it., now before I answe the questions please now that I know next to nothing about PF.

I would use ranger instead of Barbarian to give him the hunter-ish feeling, I think you are looking for, if you want him to be quick and you are the DM (which I guess you are) you can bend the tules and give him fast movement. Your player's don't have to know it:smallsmile:

Remember it is only a lie if you get discovered:smallamused:

I do not concent lying unless it is done all in the spirit of the game and having fun.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-08, 03:40 AM
If you wanted to give him rage, you could give him a Wand of the spell, or two levels of Half-Orc Paragon...

AimlessSage
2010-09-08, 06:09 AM
i don't know pathfinder as well as id like to, but one thing you could do is go into the prestigious classless.(Master Chemist comes to mind, from the Pathfinder Advanced players guide.) Being gestalt will help immensely with getting the prerequisites, while maintaining a very high level of power gain at eat level. If your willing to pull feats from other sources (other than pathfinder) I'd suggest you look at the Combat Focus Feats from PHB2 (3.5 edition) Levels in Fighter will assure your combat ready, and have more than enough feats.

Also i just thought id mention that Gestalts are inherently going to be awesome in any campaign where everyone isn't gestalt.