PDA

View Full Version : City Building Chronology.

kkortekaas
2010-09-08, 08:09 AM
Awhile back I contributed to a thread whereupon the participants created a fiction history for a village. As I need something to do while I'm processing surface models, I figure I'd start it again.

The Rules
- take into account the work that the previous posters produce
- lets try to limit the earth shattering (or rather town shattering) events
- feel free to make places, npcs, etc.

I'll start it off, and if I'm lucky, others will follow my lead.

Year 0 - The Founding of Crossing.
Crossing was founded when a knight gathered some followers and built a small settlement at the joining of two great rivers.

-Two wooden bridges were constructed to cross each river and tolls were gathered from all that used them.

-The settlement gathers lumber from a nearby forest, and buys stone from the dwarves in the mountains to the north.

-Farmsteads spring up on each side of the river

SilverSheriff
2010-09-08, 08:53 AM
Can I assume that there is also a Toll Booth built next to both bridges? or are these Bridges run by Trolls?:smalltongue:

Abies
2010-09-08, 09:32 AM
Year 0 - The Founding of Crossing.
Crossing was founded when a knight gathered some followers and built a small settlement at the joining of two great rivers.

-Two wooden bridges were constructed to cross each river and tolls were gathered from all that used them.

You're going to want to name the rivers to differentiate which have bridges and which one does not. I'm assuming the original bridges were built over the contributing rivers, and not the one they drain into. I suggest Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio for the river names. Heck, if you want to use a map, just use Pittsburgh.

kkortekaas
2010-09-08, 09:42 AM
Lets warp it a bit,
River A - Alleny
River B - Gahela
Combined River - Algah

I figured tolls on the Alleny, with most of the farms on the Gahela side.

MickJay
2010-09-08, 01:52 PM
Could the starting year be "year 1", please? Having a year 0 of anything is a logical impossibility (sadly, more than one fantasy author is guilty of putting "year 0" in their works). :smallwink:

Telonius
2010-09-08, 01:59 PM
Could the starting year be "year 1", please? Having a year 0 of anything is a logical impossibility (sadly, more than one fantasy author is guilty of putting "year 0" in their works). :smallwink:

A wizard did it. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Alternately, an Asian did it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_calendar).

All years are elapsed/expired/complete years, thus their epochal year is year 0, not year 1, because a complete year had not yet elapsed during it. The epochal dates only apply to year 0 — modern dates for the entry of the Sun into the first rasi (the beginning of the sidereal year) occur later in the Gregorian calendar due to precession of the equinoxes.