PDA

View Full Version : Really Sketchers?

alchemyprime
2010-09-08, 01:13 PM
Sketchers Shoes is going to have it's own TV show. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zevo-3) Even I, one who loves Transformers and G.I. Joe and He-Man and all those purely for marketing shows cannot bring myself to watch this when it premiers.

And my town is building the main distribution center and new headquarters for Sketchers. My family may well end up working for them. And they are making this cartoon.

And that's terrible.

Discus?

druid91
2010-09-08, 01:55 PM
I thought that new show looked familiar.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-09-08, 01:59 PM
Here's a trailer. (http://vimeo.com/10020615)
The villain is Stank Foot.
Lawl.

Axinian
2010-09-08, 02:02 PM
Well look on the bright side

I got nothin'

Starfols
2010-09-08, 04:56 PM
What?

I...

What? :smallsigh:

I think this has been done before, but I don't remember with what. I'd say the cavity creeps, but that was just a commercial.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-08, 05:04 PM
Whatisthisidonteven

A show for shoes? I hope it bombs big time.

doliest
2010-09-08, 05:06 PM
So...is this like that Caveman show?

Orzel
2010-09-08, 05:23 PM
What is this i don't even

Kids hopefully will lol at it.
Also
No Luminators or Hot Lights?

Eldrys
2010-09-08, 05:36 PM
No Luminators or Hot Lights?

They're probably going to end up being super special awesome crime fighting twins that will appear after the first few weeks.

And every new kind of shoe will be like the Silver Ranger......but there will be ten of 'em

I really hope this project gets canceled before they can air.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-08, 05:43 PM
If I ever get Skechers that don't give me a flying suit of armor, I am going to sue them.:smallbiggrin:
-Xavez

thubby
2010-09-08, 05:52 PM
the sad thing is, i get the feeling this could be a decent show if it wasn't for the stupid shoe theme :smallannoyed:

i mean, an evil scientist's experiment gone wrong mutates the people and things of a city, creating a wildly polarized class system and superheroes.
then one is named Z-strap and we all die a little inside :smallfrown:

Emperor Ing
2010-09-08, 05:53 PM
Huh, I wonder if they're gonna market glowing rubiks cubes so we can shoot lightning at them to make everything awesome.

hobbitkniver
2010-09-08, 10:19 PM
I guarantee this will fail quickly. I don't forsee any show like this to survive.

Vorpalbob
2010-09-08, 10:46 PM
then one is named Z-strap and we all die a little inside :smallfrown:

It sounds even more stupid to a Canadian because we pronounce it zed-strap :smallbiggrin:

alchemyprime
2010-09-09, 10:44 AM
It sounds even more stupid to a Canadian because we pronounce it zed-strap :smallbiggrin:

Which makes me imagine an athletic support for Lord Zed from Power Rangers.

Is Lord Zed called Lord Z in Canada?

Yeah, if it weren't sponsored by Sketchers, it'd be a good idea for a show. Eliminate the shoe theme and it turns into Kevin Levin, Ice Man and Medusa (Inhumans) on a superhero team essentially, and I can easily live with that.

You know what this is?
The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick-Energy Choc-O-Bot Hour?

This is like a bad Simpsons joke made real.

Yulian
2010-09-09, 10:57 AM
Never underestimate the synergistic marketing efforts of a company eager to cynically squeeze every last ounce of advertising time out of children's programming.

I don't forsee this doing much, ratings-wise.

- Yulian

Xondoure
2010-09-12, 12:42 AM
Why does no one have any faith in the bizarre factor making this work? :smalltongue:

thubby
2010-09-12, 01:34 AM
Why does no one have any faith in the bizarre factor making this work? :smalltongue:

because it's not actually bizarre?

Mewtarthio
2010-09-12, 01:34 AM
In his mutated form, Mutant Ronson has a second head, known as his Mutant-Head

...I can see they've put a lot of effort into coming up with unique names for their characters.

(Side note: "known as"? Isn't his mutant form supposed to be a secret? Who's there to "know" it as anything in the first place?)

Xondoure
2010-09-12, 01:59 AM
because it's not actually bizarre?

Shoe heroes seems pretty weird to me. I feel it could be pretty funny in an utterly cheesy way.

Zexion
2010-09-13, 11:56 PM
*facepalms*

This is crazy. Transformers and G.I. Joe at least had nice special effects or good base concepts. But superheroes based on shoes... while it's technically original, it seems more like the most shameless marketing plan ever devised. :smalleek:

shadowxknight
2010-09-14, 05:36 AM
I'm not too surprised. I remember a lot of their commercials being cartoony. But maybe a big reason for that is because I saw them on Cartoon Network and Nick :smallsigh:

Om
2010-09-14, 08:41 AM
This is crazy. Transformers and G.I. Joe at least had nice special effects or good base concepts. But superheroes based on shoes... while it's technically original, it seems more like the most shameless marketing plan ever devised. :smalleek:Really? Worse than a group of jazz musicians who just happened to be raisins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_California_Raisin_Show)?

Yes its crass, but the only differences between this new show and the likes of Transformers et al is that a) they're flogging shoes, and b) you're old enough to see how idiotic it all is

Yulian
2010-09-14, 03:09 PM
http://nicktoons.nick.com/shows/zevo-3/characters/dark-materia.html

Dark Materia...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090207210333/finalfantasy/images/thumb/8/85/DFF_Black_Materia.png/150px-DFF_Black_Materia.png

I'm not sure if they have "shoe powers" or whatever, but one of the villains is named "Stankfoot". I think this is more a case of deranged attempts at "branding".

- Yulian

Kris Strife
2010-09-14, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure if they have "shoe powers" or whatever, but one of the villains is named "Stankfoot". I think this is more a case of deranged attempts at "branding".

- Yulian

He's a villain from one of the shoe commercials. Cool Breeze's actually.

Yulian
2010-09-14, 09:29 PM
He's a villain from one of the shoe commercials. Cool Breeze's actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbML0zG6bhQ

So he is.

So they're taking characters...from their shoe commercials...and making a show about them.

Yeah, really deranged attempt at branding. See, I thought they might just be funding this to get their name out there, but no, they actually just lifted characters developed by a marketing department for shoe commercials.

Ladies and gentleman, an entire super-team of Poochies!

- Yulian

kaptainkrutch
2010-09-16, 12:42 AM
When I was a kid, I used to wish that someone would make a cartoon with the JNCO characters (the ones in the little comics). Now, I realize that it would just be Rocket Power, except their HEADS ARE ON FIRE!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-19, 05:10 PM
Here's a trailer. (http://vimeo.com/10020615)
The villain is Stank Foot.
Lawl.

The first minute or so looked not horrible: it appeared as though the show would be some sort of dark, post-apocalyptic storyline: people surviving in barbaric gangs fighting these monster and battling each other; but when I saw the whole thing, yeah, it looks awful. We can at least we can hope it's so bad it's good.

Lord Loss
2010-09-20, 08:23 PM
The first minute or so looked not horrible: it appeared as though the show would be some sort of dark, post-apocalyptic storyline: people surviving in barbaric gangs fighting these monster and battling each other; but when I saw the whole thing, yeah, it looks awful. We can at least we can hope it's so bad it's good.

Seconded. My reaction:

The beginning was good... the rest wasn't so good. :smallannoyed:.

chiasaur11
2010-09-20, 08:30 PM
You know what this is?
The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick-Energy Choc-O-Bot Hour?

This is like a bad Simpsons joke made real.

It's like I keep saying.

We're entering a post ironic age.

Sarcasm? Parody?

Yeah, they'll do you no good from here on out. I'm already switching over to grumpy old man cynicism.

It's the way of the future!

KerfuffleMach2
2010-09-22, 08:46 PM
What?

I...

What? :smallsigh:

I think this has been done before, but I don't remember with what. I'd say the cavity creeps, but that was just a commercial.

The California Raisins, perhaps?

Anyways, I am completely not surprised by this at all. I mean, sure, the thought of it never crossed my mind. But when I saw a commercial for it, the first thing I thought was, "Huh. Took them long enough."

Wonder if they'll promote Sketchers in the show at all?

Kris Strife
2010-09-23, 03:57 PM
The thing I find funniest/saddest is that the behind the scenes advertisement things has one of the creators saying that this belongs to the current generation and that its going to be a hallmark of modern animation.

TSGames
2010-09-23, 10:10 PM
At this point, I'm not even sure it will air. (http://www.parentdish.com/2010/09/23/foot-odor-fighting-superhero-out-to-sell-shoes-fcc-is-investiga/)