PDA

View Full Version : flaw list and/or flaw request

monkman
2010-09-08, 07:14 PM
i would like to make a list where you could make some flaws. Curentlv i would like for someone to give me some suggestioons on a flaw that i would like to make
This flaw is called action-craver, basiclly it's someone who allways want to do something that contains action,fighting, climbing a slipery surface, swiming in a storm, anything that is hard to do.
i know that it would give a bonus on 'action' .What would be the bonuses and the disadvantages?

Flaws

Cold-Blooded
Cold-Blooded (Flaw)
Damnit Roger, it's not that cold!

For whatever reason, your body temperature changes with the enviroment, making you more suseptible to temperature effects. This is especially prevalent in reptiles, but not all.
Benefit: Extra feat
Downside: You now have a Weakness to Frost and Fire, and take 50% more damage from Fire or Frost attacks. In addition, you have a -4 racial penalty in saves versus enviromental effects regarding temperature.

I've had this one in mind for a while. Obviously, it's listed on the creature entry that reptilian humanoids are all cold-blooded, but that doesn't mean they automatically have this.

Dare-Devil
Daredevil [Flaw]
"Hey, Joe! What's the big deal with climbing into that active volcano while we're under attack from a horde of flying zombie monkeys?!"
"Yeah sorry about that, it just looked awesome."
"Dammit Joe."
You can't help but take crazy risks and do very very stupid things, as long as they look awesome.
Benefit: You gain an extra feat.
Drawback: If presented with a challenge or a situation where you have choices of some kind, you must make a Will save (DC 15+1/2 your hit dice). If you fail, you must take the hardest possible choice or accept the challenge. You cannot be dissuaded of this course of action by anything short of enchantment magic controlling your actions directly (ie. dominate person and its kin).

Blindness
Blindness [Flaw]
“Who… who said that?”

You are blind as a bat.
Benefit: You gain two feats.
Drawback: You are Blinded. Any spell that you cast that has a target has a 50% chance of failure, unless you make a DC (10 + Spell Level + Target’s ranks in Move Silently) listen check, and then it has a 25% chance of failure.
Raw Sex Appeal

Raw Sex Appeal [Flaw]
"Regular folks just ain't ready for the raw sex appeal I'd unleash into their grey, little lives." ~Tychus Findlay, Professional Sex Machine
Prerequisites: Charisma 15 or higher
Benefit: Extra feat.
Drawback: Your charisma score really does represent your physical appearance. The only problem is that your magnificent good looks are...unrefined. You wield your sexitude with all the finesse of a Pixie with the Titan Bloodline wielding a Gargantuan Warhammer.

Whenever you approach someone with a sexual orientation compatible with your gender in a non-hostile way, they must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier) or begin to foam rabidly at the mouth. This excess of saliva renders them incapable of coherently interacting with you socially. This distraction does not prevent spellcasting, although it does prevent them from doing business with you, and it certainly prevents you from using Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Bluff to meaningfully interact with them.

This rabid state of being wears off once you leave their presence, though will re-assert itself whenever you interact with them again during the next 24 hours (after that time has elapsed, a new check is called for).

arguskos
2010-09-08, 07:20 PM
Daredevil [Flaw]
"Hey, Joe! What's the big deal with climbing into that active volcano while we're under attack from a horde of flying zombie monkeys?!"
"Dammit Joe."
You can't help but take crazy risks and do very very stupid things, as long as they look awesome.
Drawback: If presented with a challenge or a situation where you have choices of some kind, you must make a Will save (DC 15+1/2 your hit dice). If you fail, you must take the hardest possible choice or accept the challenge. You cannot be dissuaded of this course of action by anything short of enchantment magic controlling your actions directly (ie. dominate person and its kin).

That's pretty rough, but I like it. It's a brutalizingly bad flaw, IMO. Also, I liked the name Daredevil more than Action-Craver, personally. Change it if you like.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-08, 07:28 PM
Cold-Blooded (Flaw)

For whatever reason, your body temperature changes with the enviroment, making you more suseptible to temperature effects. This is especially prevalent in reptiles, but not all.
Benefit: Extra feat. Reduce racial Food and Drink intake requirements to 1/4 of the weight required per day.
Downside: You now have a Weakness to Frost and Fire, and take 50% more damage from Fire or Frost attacks. In addition, you have a -4 racial penalty in saves versus enviromental effects regarding temperature.
Special: The Ravening dragon template and similar acquired templates, feats, and effects negate the reduce food and drink intake. Racial modifiers to food/drink intake stack with or against the food intake reduction.
Plants cannot use this flaw.

I've had this one in mind for a while. Obviously, it's listed on the creature entry that reptilian humanoids are all cold-blooded, but that doesn't mean they automatically have this.

monkman
2010-09-08, 07:28 PM
very nice ,it will work, i'll put it the first post, but now we have to get a people who will put other flaws

unosarta
2010-09-08, 07:44 PM
Blindness [Flaw]
“Who… who said that?”

You are blind as a bat.
Drawback: You are Blinded ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary#blinded). Any spell that you cast that has a target has a 50% chance of failure, unless you make a DC (10 + Spell Level + Target’s ranks in Move Silently) listen check, and then it has a 25% chance of failure. You are also immune to gaze attacks, and any effects that require sight.

Mastery of Blindfighting [Feat]

You have overcome any problems you had by being blind.
Prerequisites: Listen 4 Ranks, Blind-fight; You must be blind.
Benefit: You do not lose your Dexterity bonus to armor class for being blind (although you still take the penalty to your armor class), and you are not restricted to moving half speed, and you take only a -2 penalty to Search, Strength and Dexterity based skill checks. Opponents only gain 10% concealment against your attacks. You are immune to any effect that would make you blind.
Special: If you have the blindness flaw, you only take a 20% chance of failure for targeting spells, and you take no chance of failure if you make the listen check.

Not sure if this is entirely balanced, but it seems so to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, this is for a Prestige Class that I have been working on.

Xefas
2010-09-08, 08:13 PM
I totally have this one IRL. It's a curse, let me tell you.

Raw Sex Appeal [Flaw]
"Regular folks just ain't ready for the raw sex appeal I'd unleash into their grey, little lives." ~Tychus Findlay, Professional Sex Machine
Prerequisites: Charisma 15 or higher
Benefit: Extra feat.
Drawback: Your charisma score really does represent your physical appearance. The only problem is that your magnificent good looks are...unrefined. You wield your sexitude with all the finesse of a Pixie with the Titan Bloodline wielding a Gargantuan Warhammer.

Whenever you approach someone with a sexual orientation compatible with your gender in a non-hostile way, they must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier) or begin to foam rabidly at the mouth. This excess of saliva renders them incapable of coherently interacting with you socially. This distraction does not prevent spellcasting, although it does prevent them from doing business with you, and it certainly prevents you from using Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Bluff to meaningfully interact with them.

This rabid state of being wears off once you leave their presence, though will re-assert itself whenever you interact with them again during the next 24 hours (after that time has elapsed, a new check is called for).

unosarta
2010-09-08, 08:18 PM

What exactly does this mean? It is kind of ambiguous as it is now. As soon as they cannot see you? As soon as you are more that 60 feet away? Also, considering the flaw posted right above yours, maybe make it based on sight? Maybe, if that doesn't seem right, have it be interacting with the "sex god" that sets people off ("His voice was so sexy, I just wanted to have his babies!")?

Otherwise, it is a nice flaw, although it might be bad in more immature hands. :smallamused:

Xefas
2010-09-08, 08:25 PM
What exactly does this mean? It is kind of ambiguous as it is now.

It's meant to be slightly ambiguous. As soon as you give it concrete rules like "While they can see you", then the flaw becomes more open to subversion. For instance, somebody will start conducting all of their business while Invisible. And once you say "Well, no, hearing you counts", then they just conduct business while invisible via telepathy. And then when you say "No, thoughts count too", then they use minor illusion spells to simulate hands to hand-sign business to people while invisible.

At least, I've been told there are people out there who act like that.

In reality, I think "presence" is a nice word that conveys a meaning easy enough to be correctly interpreted by a gaming group.

unosarta
2010-09-08, 08:37 PM
It's meant to be slightly ambiguous. As soon as you give it concrete rules like "While they can see you", then the flaw becomes more open to subversion. For instance, somebody will start conducting all of their business while Invisible. And once you say "Well, no, hearing you counts", then they just conduct business while invisible via telepathy. And then when you say "No, thoughts count too", then they use minor illusion spells to simulate hands to hand-sign business to people while invisible.

At least, I've been told there are people out there who act like that.

In reality, I think "presence" is a nice word that conveys a meaning easy enough to be correctly interpreted by a gaming group.

Except, what if they are still in the presence of the Character, but they cannot see them, and cannot hear them? Such as if the Character were to have invisibility cast upon them. Because of how ambiguous the English language is, technically they would still be in the presence, even though it makes not logical sense that they would retain their higher libido when not even able to see the Character. Thusly, when not within 60 feet of the Character seems to be more balanced. You could change that to whatever distance you feel like, and even then, it doesn't make all that much sense, since you could be just outside of 60 feet, within seeing range, and still not cause their hearts to go a beating. Also, if an NPC had this, a metagaming PC could tell at what distance they are gone.

Maybe a certain number of rounds after they last saw the person? I mean, if it is truly their good looks that is causing the infatuation, then if they cannot see them, it makes sense that they would no longer feel the same way, at the current moment. The certain number of rounds after is to simulate that the memory is still fresh in their minds.

And being ambiguous is very, very rarely a good idea. It leaves it open for DM's who are too infatuated themselves to give extra power to their NPC's, with practically irrefutable arguments supported by the ability itself. This isn't fun for the PCs at all. The DM could just arbitrarily do it, but when it is vaguely supported by the rules, the players are more likely to agree, and let the DM do it, which creates a sense of resentment. Just saying.

Xefas
2010-09-08, 08:49 PM
And being ambiguous is very, very rarely a good idea. It leaves it open for DM's who are too infatuated themselves to give extra power to their NPC's, with practically irrefutable arguments supported by the ability itself. This isn't fun for the PCs at all. The DM could just arbitrarily do it, but when it is vaguely supported by the rules, the players are more likely to agree, and let the DM do it, which creates a sense of resentment. Just saying.

Ambiguous is bad in a win/lose game, or a game with sides, because precision in judgment calls matters. In a roleplaying game, it is assumed that everyone present is attempting to, as a group, have fun in a collaborative manner. It is assumed that the call will always be made that is the most fun for everyone present.

If your DM regularly uses the rules like a cudgel to arbitrate situations in such a way to be less fun for the players, then why are you playing with them?

The conversation should most assuredly go:
DM: "Hey guys, I've decided [terrible arbitrary ruling that is no fun for anyone]"
Players: "Hey, that's a terrible arbitrary ruling that is no fun for anyone."
DM: "Oh, sorry about that. I didn't even realize. Here is [a much more sensible ruling that is fun for everyone]."

If that doesn't happen, then something is wrong with the group dynamic, be it a communication lapse, or deliberate malicious intent.

unosarta
2010-09-08, 09:00 PM
Ambiguous is bad in a win/lose game, or a game with sides, because precision in judgment calls matters. In a roleplaying game, it is assumed that everyone present is attempting to, as a group, have fun in a collaborative manner. It is assumed that the call will always be made that is the most fun for everyone present.
It is assumed. If your DM tends to view it as a Win/Lose game, or a game with sides, a player wanting to play a crazy attractive Character would have to roleplay it only, instead of actually having mechanics solidifying what they are saying. If a DM takes the view that the game has sides, which is not exactly uncommon, then they might screw a player over with this. I just want to make sure that that doesn't happen.

If your DM regulalry uses the rules like a cudgel to arbitrate situations in such a way to be less fun for the players, then why are you playing with them?
It is also possible that they do not have access to any other DM in the area who can reliably provide games. Often, this sort of behavior would not be a precedent, but the fact that the DM is given even more power to screw a player over is not a very good idea. Most DMs won't do that. Some might. It is hardly that impossible to simply be a little bit more specific in order to stop those few who would.

The conversation should most assuredly go:
DM: "Hey guys, I've decided [terrible arbitrary ruling that is no fun for anyone]"
Players: "Hey, that's a terrible arbitrary ruling that is no fun for anyone."
DM: "Oh, sorry about that. I didn't even realize. Here is [a much more sensible ruling that is fun for everyone]."

If that doesn't happen, then something is wrong with the group dynamic, be it a communication lapse, or deliberate malicious intent.
But, if the DM is really excited and/or pumped about that rule, and doesn't even listen to the Players, then it will suck hard. Not every DM is a reasonable human being. That is something to remember.

Also, do you have a problem with the ideas I suggested? I can understand if you did, but being specifically ambiguous where it might screw characters over when you could just be specific, doesn't seem very nice to the players. And if you are specific, and it does screw a player over with a reasonable DM, which seems to be your worry, then the reasonable DM can just rule around that facet of play, and then tell you about it, and you can fix it. If it is used by a bad DM though, and they try to mess with it because it is ambiguous, the players won't have any solid ground to back themselves up on. Just something to think about.

nolispe
2010-09-08, 09:11 PM
Cold-Blooded (Flaw)

Benefit: Extra feat. Reduce racial Food and Drink intake requirements to 1/4 of the weight required per day.
Special: The Ravening dragon template and similar acquired templates, feats, and effects negate the reduce food and drink intake. Racial modifiers to food/drink intake stack with or against the food intake reduction.
Plants cannot use this flaw.

Feels too powerful. Weakness to cold/Fire really just isn't that big.

monkman
2010-09-08, 09:22 PM
its not powerfull, for the higher lvs, maybe for the lower lvs it's powerfull but when a wizard can cast fireball, you get alot more damage

Xefas
2010-09-08, 09:48 PM
Also, do you have a problem with the ideas I suggested?

I think a set distance would be a mistake. If I had to refine the wording, I would instead say:

"This rabid state of being wears off once you leave their presence they are no longer aware of you (i.e. none of their senses are divulging information of your current existence), and you are no longer actively communicating any form of information to them, though it will re-assert itself whenever you interact with them again during the next 24 hours (after that time has elapsed, a new check is called for)."

Still, I think that the point is 100% moot given the situations you describe. A slightly vague wording on a flaw is such an infinitesimal problem for your game at large if the DM is "not a reasonable human being" or willing to "screw a player over", as you say.

unosarta
2010-09-08, 09:52 PM
I think a set distance would be a mistake. If I had to refine the wording, I would instead say:

"This rabid state of being wears off once you leave their presence they are no longer aware of you (i.e. none of their senses are divulging information of your current existence), and you are no longer actively communicating any form of information to them, though it will re-assert itself whenever you interact with them again during the next 24 hours (after that time has elapsed, a new check is called for)."
I like that wording. It is both balanced and specific enough that someone couldn't take it the wrong way.

Still, I think that the point is 100% moot given the situations you describe. A slightly vague wording on a flaw is such an infinitesimal problem for your game at large if the DM is "not a reasonable human being" or willing to "screw a player over", as you say.
That still does not change the fact that some DMs are. It isn't quite possible to change that about a person, excepting boycotting the game, which is just not an option for some people. And if they aren't then they shouldn't have a problem with this flaw anyway. I actually like it. :smallbiggrin:

monkman
2010-09-12, 08:55 PM
just beebing

Temotei
2010-09-12, 09:21 PM
its not powerfull, for the higher lvs, maybe for the lower lvs it's powerfull but when a wizard can cast fireball, you get alot more damage

Not really. Fireball deals 10d6 damage. With that flaw, it'll deal 15d6 damage, which is only 17.5 more damage on average. A melee character can spit on someone for more damage than a fireball. If the wizard is wasting his spell slots on that, you have nothing to worry about.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-12, 10:06 PM
LONE ETHOS [FLAW]
The power of your divine spells is diminished by the fact you lack devotion to a specific deity and have no congregation that shares your form of spirituality.
Prerequsite: Ability to cast divine spells, lacking devotion to specific deity
Effect: Every divine spell you cast has the DC to resist it reduced by 1. This lack of power cannot be overcome by any mortal means, even by a miracle or wish.

basically the divine equivalent of Arcane Parasites (Dragon 333 94)

zorba1994
2010-09-12, 11:00 PM
Rampant Sarcasm [FLAW]
"You just can't keep your mouth shut can you?"

Benefit: +2 to will saves
Downside: Whenever someone in you or someone in your party makes a Diplomacy check and you have the ability to speak/otherwise communicate with the target of the check, take -5 from the roll.

I seriously have this problem IRL.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-13, 12:05 AM
Rampant Sarcasm [FLAW]

Downside: Whenever someone in you or someone in your party makes a Diplomacy check and you have the ability to speak/otherwise communicate with the target of the check, take -5 from the roll.

Reminds me of the Loudmouth flaw from Dragon 324 pg 98

Morph Bark
2010-09-13, 02:37 AM
Blindness [Flaw]
“Who… who said that?”

You are blind as a bat.
Drawback: You are Blinded ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary#blinded). Any spell that you cast that has a target has a 50% chance of failure, unless you make a DC (10 + Spell Level + Target’s ranks in Move Silently) listen check, and then it has a 25% chance of failure.

Being blind also makes you immune to gaze attacks and similar things.

Rampant Sarcasm [FLAW]

Looks more like a Trait than a Flaw if it gives a benefit as well.

unosarta
2010-09-13, 08:52 AM
Being blind also makes you immune to gaze attacks and similar things.

Edited in.

Milskidasith
2010-09-13, 10:33 AM
Daredevil [Flaw]
"Dammit Joe."

That's pretty rough, but I like it. It's a brutalizingly bad flaw, IMO. Also, I liked the name Daredevil more than Action-Craver, personally. Change it if you like.

This seems problematic considering the hardest possible choice in most situations is probably "CDG myself, then do X with my corpse." I think it may need to be a bit more specific; hardest possible way to do things is generally going to wind up really silly and basically makes every choice a will save or die in an incomprehensibly stupid way.