PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Help a New GM out :)

Verlox
2010-09-08, 09:55 PM
Howdy. Well, after playing through the Price of Immortality series of publish adventures, I've decided to start designing my own adventures. I got a good deal of it down, but I simply cannot figure out how to create combat encounters with NPCs.

To be specific: Hobgoblins.

Now, I know in the Bestiary it lists the level 1 hobgoblin fighter a CR 1/2. Ok, I dig that. But how do I raise the CR of a single hobgoblin? Add class levels, correct?

Ok, if that's right, here's my next questions.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that CR = Class Levels. So that does that mean that a level 4 hobgoblin fighter would be CR 2? Or CR 4?

One more bunch. Bear with me, now.

Lets say you're designing an encounter for a three person party with APL 7. I wanna make it a challenging encounter, so I decided to make the encounter Challenge Rating 8. But I also want to make it vs. a single npc. Lets use a hobgoblin! So would the fight be against a level 8 hobgoblin fighter? Or a level 16 hobgoblin fighter?

Would different classes adjust the CR? Would a level 1 hobgoblin cleric have a CR of 1? 3/7?

My apologies for any sort of idiocy. I'm a bit new to this.

Grytorm
2010-09-08, 10:51 PM
I saw this in another thread.
If a character has npc class levels then the CR is equal to the class level -2.
If they have PC levels then it is only -1 unless the character has full standard wealth then it equals class level.
So your hobgoblin would need to be 9th level.
Don't know what the expected wealth by level for npcs are.