PDA

View Full Version : Spell List [Draft]

zephiros
2010-09-11, 04:04 PM
So I'm building my spell list for my level 16 sorcerer and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for what I've done with it so far.

I did take some suggestions from Solo's guide, and some are personal choices. I still need to cut back some level 7 and 9 spells, all the others are the right number (this is the eventual spells list for my level 20, and so contains the full scope of spells known, I'll add them in as I level)

Prestidigitation, Message, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Light, Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Mage Hand
Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike, Armor, Summon Monster I
Mirror Image, Scorching Ray, Glitterdust, Shatter, Rope Trick
Fireball, Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed
Solid Fog, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Enervation, Dimension Door
Cloudkill, Feeblemind, Wall of Force, Passwall
Greater Dispel Magic, Chain Lightning
7*
Spell Turning, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Prismatic Spray, Finger of Death
Prismatic Wall, Greater Shadow Evocation, Polymorph Any Object
9*
Summon Monster IX, Meteor Swarm, Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee, Shapechange

* Too many spells to know

zephiros
2010-09-11, 04:11 PM
Feel free to suggest spells that I should exclude from the level 7 or 9 lists to get it down to the required numbers as well.

fratar11
2010-09-11, 04:21 PM
I can suggest you some spells i found very usefull and awesome when i played a wizard (he had up to level 7 spells).

Ray of Dizziness - Lvl 3
Howling Chain - lvl 6
Avasculate - lvl 7
Power Words - i used Avasculate + Power Words combo
Channeled Sound Blast -5.
Channeled Lifetheft - lvl 5. I liked channeling spells because i used Belt of Battle so it had some nice effects.

Gray Mage
2010-09-11, 04:30 PM
I think you should drop meteor swarm, it's a really bad damage spell. Fireball isn't that great too, if you want some good ones look for the orb spells on complete mage. Never been a fan of the Summon Monter spells, but if you're not using SM 1 for things like setting traps off I sugest you change it too (even if you're doing that a wand serves wonderfully for that).

zephiros
2010-09-11, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I only took Summon Monster XI up there for the large range of available summons that it gives.

And SMI is for traps, similar things. I could change it though.

The only problem is I don't foresee us having opportunity to *buy* things. Our characters are trapped in a huge city (in its gladiatorial arena atm, kept their by numerous archmages and we are fugitives, so I doubt we'll find shopping time.)

Gray Mage
2010-09-11, 05:17 PM
The only problem is I don't foresee us having opportunity to *buy* things. Our characters are trapped in a huge city (in its gladiatorial arena atm, kept their by numerous archmages and we are fugitives, so I doubt we'll find shopping time.)

That explains things. Would be good to know what direction you want to take your char and your feat selection, though.

zephiros
2010-09-12, 01:14 PM
Certainly.

At the moment it's a Sorcerer 6 / Incantatrix 10, so heavy on the Metamagic as far as feats go.

Basically trying to give the character an array of usefulness, hence the spread of off/def/utility in spell choice.

PId6
2010-09-12, 01:30 PM
Why Fireball? It's pretty bad as far as blasting spells go, and by now you've long since hit the damage cap. Orb of Fire (SpC) or Wings of Flurry (RotD) in place of, say, Resilient Sphere would be a much better low-level blasting choice. Replacing Fireball with Greater Mage Armor (SpC) is a good idea.

Definitely get Wings of Cover (RotD) in place of something if it's allowed. It's a wonderful sorcerer-only spell that protects against nearly everything, and should be considered almost a sorcerer class feature.

Neither Finger of Death or Prismatic Spray are all that great. The latter is too random, while the former is too limited, since it only targets one enemy, only hits Fort saves (which tends to be high), and is a [Death] effect (which tends to be resisted). I'd suggest Avasculate and Elemental Body (both SpC) to replace them. Spell Turning is also pretty bad since it only works on targeted spells and has a very short duration, so I'd recommend cutting that entirely.

Prismatic Wall is kinda useless as well. It's basically just a Wall of Force that says "You REALLY can't pass," which is a bit redundant. Something like Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience, Superior Invisibility (SpC), or Avascular Mass (SpC) would be more useful.

Meteor Swarm is a terrible spell; Maw of Chaos (SpC) is far better for blasting if you want it. Wail of the Banshee is a bit meh as well; pick up Time Stop instead (since that combos nicely with Summon Monster IX, Maw of Chaos, and all your battlefield control spells).

zephiros
2010-09-12, 01:47 PM
Yeah, this is just from PHB1, but we're allowed any 3.5 sourcebooks, likely including setting specific ones unless it's a broken spell. I'm just devoid of the time it would take to look through all of said sourcebooks to find better spells. :/ Though I suppose if I look through anything else, Spell Compendium would be the place to start.

If I were to take Greater Mage Armour and not Fireball, should I dump regular Mage Armour?

zephiros
2010-09-12, 03:12 PM
And if anyone wants to recommend alternate stuff from other sourcebooks, please do. I'm sure almost the entire list could be replaced with non-PHB1 spells.

PId6
2010-09-12, 03:52 PM
Yes, if you have Greater Mage Armor, there's no reason to get the original. Take Benign Transposition (SpC) instead; it's a fantastic utility spell that can be used for all kinds of things.

Some spells I really like for most of my casters are Heart of Water and Heart of Earth from CM. They're both 1 hour/level buffs, and can be cracked as swift action for emergencies. Heart of Water can get you Freedom of Movement, while Heart of Earth gets you Stoneskin. They're 3rd and 4th level respectively, so they're easy buffs to have.

zephiros
2010-09-16, 07:44 PM
Alright, there's definitely some good recommendations so far, and anyone with others, they're very appreciated. I will go in with a spell list and then switch it up as necessary as I'm able to do more research, but I still have til our next session this saturday to alter the first incarnation of the list, so any recommendations are very much appreciated before then or after.

Again regrettably I've had *no* time to research outside PHB1, so anything from anything else is very helpful for me.

jumpet
2010-09-17, 01:36 AM
a few of the top of my head. A lot depends on your feats though.

Feather Fall: I wouldn't bother with mage armour, i'd highly recommend feather fall.

Alter Self: good duration buff.

heroism: good duration, awesome spell. unfortunately the greater version has less duration. criminal.

Dim anchor: Because there will be times you need to lock down pesky hit and run villains.

rune delver's fortune: + cha will, fort or ref saving throw, plus some other stuff. worth investigating if your saves aren't up to scratch

arcane fusion (and the greater version): quicken spell real cheap

planar binding; If your dm hasn't banned it, he soon will!

disintegrate: many uses such as making doors

SM: gets good at 6th level, keeping swapping it out until you get summon IX.

greater arcane sight: so you know what buffs your enemy has and when to watch out for spell turning etc

olelia
2010-09-17, 08:19 PM
Shivering Touch....Streamers....what? :smallamused:

Lysander
2010-09-17, 09:00 PM
I assume the arena is warded against long distance astral travel, since you have no teleportation/plane shift?

Have you thought about picking up Dominate Monster? Might be useful in an arena. You could enslave creatures and build up a little mind controlled army over time. Or as less of a spell list investment, Charm Monster?

zephiros
2010-09-18, 03:29 PM
I assume the arena is warded against long distance astral travel, since you have no teleportation/plane shift?

Our DM has pretty much hinted that we'll make it out eventually of our own design, but he'll fiat any attempt to circumvent the arena's defenses.

zephiros
2010-09-18, 03:47 PM
For Maw of Chaos, wouldn't that damage allies? :/

Or do spells that say they damage all creatures in the area not affect allies (I think they do, but I wouldn't really know)

zephiros
2010-09-18, 03:54 PM
Also, for spells that need to hit with ranged touch attacks, isn't that sometimes a problem for mages? Especially fighting things with high AC?

Morph Bark
2010-09-18, 03:57 PM
Do you plan on taking a number of Reserve feats as well?

zephiros
2010-09-18, 04:00 PM
And I'm now down by one level 7 spell (Elemental Body isn't really my thing)

zephiros
2010-09-18, 04:01 PM
Do you plan on taking a number of Reserve feats as well?

Should have mentioned feats earlier, I have Dragonwrought, Draconic Reservoir, Rapid MM, Quicken Sp, Silent Sp, Still Sp, Maximize Sp, Fell Drain Sp, Extend Sp.

zephiros
2010-09-18, 04:20 PM
Also, I can't find Arcane Fusion atm. :/ Book anyone?

Edit: Found Arcane Fusion but I don't see how metamagic would apply to both spells?