PDA

View Full Version : Piņata Creature Template

Debihuman
2010-09-11, 11:08 PM
This was originally posted by me over on the WoTC's board. It's very silly.

Creating a Piņata Creature.

Piņata Creature is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to construct. It loses all previous subtypes. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels (to a minimum of 1) and change remaining Hit Dice to d10s. As a construct, the creature loses any Constitution bonus to hit points, but gains bonus hit points based on its size.

Speed: A piņata creature's speed is unchanged.

Armor Class: A piņata creature gains a +1 natural armor bonus

Base Attack: A piņata creature's base attack bonus is equal to 3/4th of its Hit Dice (as Cleric).

Attacks: A piņata creature retains all the natural attacks, manufactured weapon attacks, and weapon proficiencies of the base creature. A humanoid with no natural attacks gains a slam attack.

Damage: Natural and manufactured weapons deal damage normally. A slam attack deals damage based on the piņata creature's size. If the base creature already has a slam attack, use the piņata creature's slam attack only if it's better.

Size: Slam Damage
Diminutive or Fine: 1
Tiny: 1d2
Small: 1d4
Medium: 1d6
Large: 1d8
Huge: 2d6
Gargantuan: 3d6
Colossal: 4d6

Special Attacks: A piņata creature gains the following:

Death Throes (Ex): When a piņata creature reaches 0 hit points, it bursts causing 1d10 points of damage to all creatures in a 15-foot radius, but releases edible candy. The amount of candy released is dependent on the piņata creature's size. A Fine creature would release 1d4 ounces of candy, a Diminutive creature would release 2d4 ounces and a Tiny creature would release 1d4 pounds of candy. Small creatures release 2d4 pounds of candy, Medium creatures release 3d4 pounds of candy, Large creatures release 4d4 ponds of candy, Huge creatures release 5d4 pounds of candy, etc.

Special Qualities: A piņata creature gains the following:

Paper Mache Body (Ex): Since all piņata creatures are made of paper mache, they take double the amount of damage from bludgeoning weapons but only take half damage from piercing weapons.

Abilities: As a Construct, a piņata creature has no Constitution score. Otherwise as base creature.

Skills: Piņata creatures have a -10 penalty to Hide due to their garish colors, otherwise, same as base creature.

You've been warned...
Debby

Silverscale
2010-09-11, 11:15 PM
Now if only you could find a tree big enough to hang a Whale Pinata from.

DracoDei
2010-09-12, 08:41 AM
Is this supposed to be based on Viva Pinata (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle7bf7mq4a?from=Main.VivaPinata)?

If so, you weren't bold enough with it (no "food chain" rules) and you need to drop the 1d10 part of the death-throws (unless I am failing my untrained knowledge check about that game here).

If not, someone should adapt this to that...

DracoDei
2010-09-12, 10:06 AM
Now if only you could find a tree big enough to hang a Whale Pinata from.

Yggdrasil should actually be more than adequate.

Debihuman
2010-09-12, 10:24 AM
Is this supposed to be based on Viva Pinata (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle7bf7mq4a?from=Main.VivaPinata)?

Not at all although, someone mentioned it on the WotC board.

If so, you weren't bold enough with it (no "food chain" rules) and you need to drop the 1d10 part of the death-throws (unless I am failing my untrained knowledge check about that game here). What would be the food chain rules? As for the death throes, it adds a little spice to an otherwise bland creature.

If not, someone should adapt this to that...

I say go for it.

Debby

DracoDei
2010-09-12, 12:28 PM
I say go for it.
See my previous comment about not having any actual ranks in Knowledge(Viva Pinata)...
Although I guess I could grab one or two real reasonably quickly by watching a "Let's Play" or two of the series on You Tube.

Debihuman
2010-09-12, 11:46 PM
Its Type changes to Construct so it doesn't need to eat.

Debby

Xefas
2010-09-13, 02:15 AM
This actually reminds me heavily of the Dexter's Laboratory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter%27s_Laboratory) episode, Dungeons and DeeDee. The party is advancing through a forest (dungeon...dungeon forest), where they happen upon a dragon. As they slay it, it is revealed to be a magically animated pinata, which proceeds to explode into a shower of candy. Inside is a Pixie Stick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixie_stick) with, of course, an actual Pixie in it.

(tangent)
Come to think of it, DeeDee wasn't all that bad of a DM. Dexter comes off as the typical optimizer, with a premade character completely dissonant with the rest of the party, decked out in optimally chosen stats and items that towers over everyone elses' characters.

And so, DeeDee goes "Heh, no", and has him play a Hobbit Bard instead. She makes tons of on-the-fly judgment calls that everyone at the table enjoys, except Dexter, who complains constantly about "the rules" and how they must be obeyed. In the end, everyone has tons of fun just basking in a collaborative fantasy world and doing awesome things, except Dexter who completely missed the point.