PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a map?

Savannah
2010-09-13, 03:33 AM
I'm messing around with making maps, trying to perfect a method I like. Here's one of my practice maps (http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7672/practice.png) (linked due to size). I made it randomly to test an idea I had for making the terrain look right (partially successful, need to test some more ideas) so it lacks countries and cities.

I don't currently have any worlds in need of mapping, and I don't see much point in making things up when I could help someone else out instead, so I thought I'd offer: Does anyone have a world/continent/whatever they want me to map? I can work with existing maps or a detailed description. (I'm also up for any suggestions you have for things to change on the next map.)

(I'm adapting this map tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php?116-Ascensions-atlas-style-in-Photoshop) from the Cartographers' Guild, so if anyone's curious, I'd suggest checking it out.)

If you are requesting a map:
What size do you want?

* A4/8.5x11" is currently the largest I can easily make a map for printing.
I will probably be posting both works in progress for the maps and the final maps on the Cartographer's Guild in order to get feedback on them. If you would prefer that I not do so, let me know. (I will be posting progress and final maps in this thread.)
I'm fine with you using and distributing your map however you want, as long as:

* You do not edit it, beyond resizing or cropping. (I'm happy to edit it if you need changes later.)
* You're not making money off it. (At least one person mentioned wanting to use it in a book to be published. If the book is accepted by a publishing company and they want to use the map, let me know and we can talk about it.)
* You credit me.

Finished maps:
Melnor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10040944&postcount=43) for Garwain

Requests:
{table=head]Requests|Status|Size|Reference
Ichneumon|In progress (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10183969&postcount=79)|A3A4|map (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9360005&postcount=11)
Maximum Zersk/Worldbuilding project|||
The Pressman||?|yep (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9471692&postcount=28)
Cealocanth||8.5x11|sketch (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10042814&postcount=48)
Derjuin||?|map (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10184562&postcount=84)
Jallorn||?|map (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10706918&postcount=110)
arguskos|||(will PM for details)[/table]

Garwain
2010-09-13, 07:35 AM
Hy Savanah, I wrote you an email, I don't know if you got that through? Please have a look at it and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Garwain

Savannah
2010-09-13, 12:18 PM
Looks interesting. (New terrain types to figure out how to map! :smalltongue:)

What scale are you looking for? You have some city outlines that are almost as big as the forests. Are those giant cities, small forests, or not to scale?

Cealocanth
2010-09-13, 10:54 PM
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I'll deffinetely be using this technique to make maps in the future. Thanks for sharing your links, Savannah

InaVegt
2010-09-14, 09:50 AM
Could you make me a map too?

I can provide a quick sketch of the general layout, but I can't do the fancy stuff you do.

Savannah
2010-09-14, 03:14 PM
Sure. A sketch would be great.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-14, 09:19 PM
Okay, I ask of you this. Please, may you make a map for the Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding project? That map is amazing, and I'd be extremely grateful if you did.

Savannah
2010-09-14, 09:36 PM
Sure. I have no idea where to look to find out what you need in that map, however.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-14, 09:49 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138726), but there's a lot of stuff there. I could sum the area up, if you want.

Basically, there's going to be an ocean to the east. To the west, it's going to be all land. There's going to be a generally flat grassland/forestland, then a mountain range, then a desert. There are two drainage basins, one in the north, and one in the south, that flows into the ocean within the map. There is enough area between them, and around them.

There's also a chain of floating islands, but that may be hard to show.

Should I draw a sketch to make sure you understand?

Savannah
2010-09-14, 10:20 PM
A sketch would be lovely. (I'll probably end up reading the whole thread sometime...)

Ichneumon
2010-09-15, 02:52 AM
Well, if you like to do it, I have a map of my campaign world:

'Warning: big picture
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1014/paimonmap.png (The red lines are country borders, the red font is the name of the country. The yellow lines are the borders of individual provinces and the yellow text the names of those provinces. The black with white circles are mayor cities, the just black dots are small towns. The red with yellow dots are not settlements, but story significant land marks. Also, I realise that in this version of the map there is an error. "Casm of sorrows" should be "Chasm of Sorrows")

I'd love to see it in a more "realistic" view. If you don't want to do it, I don't mind. Don't be afraid to change things such as the contours of the islands if you feel you need to do it to make it more realistic or anything.

I like your other maps btw!

EDIT: Also, don't be afraid to ask things about the world or want things explained.

Garwain
2010-09-15, 03:54 AM
Looks interesting. (New terrain types to figure out how to map! :smalltongue:)

What scale are you looking for? You have some city outlines that are almost as big as the forests. Are those giant cities, small forests, or not to scale?

For the scale, I'd like to print it on a standard paper format without looking crappy, but I don't know if that's feasable with your techniques. If not, just for use on screen 1200x800 or even 800x600 will be sufficient.
And yes, the city outlines are representing more the 'influence' of the city. The greyed area has ofcourse the city as central point, not bigger than a dot, with some rural communities scattered around. The surrounding terrains would be the actual terrain the city is build on.

Thanks,
Garwain

Savannah
2010-09-15, 12:31 PM
Just realized that I have two questions for anyone wanting a map:

1) Do you mind if I post it on the Cartographers' Guild as well? I'd like to get their feedback on my technique, but if you don't want the map posted, that's fine.

2) Are you planning to print it? If so, what size?

Ichneumon
2010-09-15, 01:00 PM

1) Do you mind if I post it on the Cartographers' Guild as well? I'd like to get their feedback on my technique, but if you don't want the map posted, that's fine.

1) Sure, if you do mine, you may do with the map whatever you want, including posting it on that site, asking for feedback. It's your map afterall and you decide what to use it for, as long as you don't claim that the content of the map (the world it portrays) is of your own creation, but just the portayal itself.

2) Yes, I'm likely going to print it, at least on A4 paper size. I'd like it though if the picture is big enough for all the letters/fonts (including the small ones) to be easily readable, at least on screen. So, that's the main criteria. I'd like the map to be as big as needed for you make all the fonts clearly readable. The size of the current map I gave you afew posts back is about the size I expect the map to be.

EDIT: Actually, now I think of it a bit more, if it turns out great, as your example already is, I might want to print it A3 ( which is twice the size of A4) poster size as well. Could you make it in a size like that?

Zigg'rrauglurr
2010-09-15, 01:21 PM
Savannah, first let me tell you; Your demo map looks great!

As it happens I have a more or less detailed pen and paper version of a map from the main continent of a persistant world my fiancee uses to DM, and I would love to have the oportunity to give as a gift a digital version of this map to her, maybe even print a poster sized version and frame it for her. I can get you the scanned maps in some time, but I fear that you will get overwhelmed with request before I get a chance to send it to you (I actually have to dig this map).
As for your questions:

1. Like Ichneumon said, you can freely post the map, but the intellectual content is from Romina Morales a.k.a Rubymoon

2. If possible I would request a version that can be printed poster sized, A5 at least. Since I will request a photo printing studio to print it for me.

Thanks!

Ichneumon
2010-09-15, 01:37 PM
Savannah, first let me tell you; Your demo map looks great!

As it happens I have a more or less detailed pen and paper version of a map from the main continent of a persistant world my fiancee uses to DM, and I would love to have the oportunity to give as a gift a digital version of this map to her, maybe even print a poster sized version and frame it for her. I can get you the scanned maps in some time, but I fear that you will get overwhelmed with request before I get a chance to send it to you (I actually have to dig this map).
As for your questions:

1. Like Ichneumon said, you can freely post the map, but the intellectual content is from Romina Morales a.k.a Rubymoon

2. If possible I would request a version that can be printed poster sized, A5 at least. Since I will request a photo printing studio to print it for me.

Thanks!

The idea of being able to print it poster size is very appealing to be sure. I've changed my answer to question 2. :)

However, I am sure you mean A3, as A5 would be half the size of A4.

Garwain
2010-09-16, 09:42 AM

1) No problem, it's your artwork after all. I'll be happy enough if you'd make the map.
2) A4 size is what I have first in mind, so that will do. But it's like christmas presents: the more the merrier.

Thanks!
EDITed for typos.

Zigg'rrauglurr
2010-09-16, 10:27 AM
The idea of being able to print it poster size is very appealing to be sure. I've changed my answer to question 2. :)

However, I am sure you mean A3, as A5 would be half the size of A4.

Yeah, me bad. I mixed what we call here a "Number 5" which is roughly an A3 with the A5, So yes the projected printing size would be A3.

Savannah, if you don't mind me asking, which software are you using for mapmaking? I have a couple programs I dabbled a little and if you make my fiancee's map I would love to have the actual map file for editing and such.

This weekend I'm digging through our DM folders to look for these maps; Being at work is big impediment for my hobbies :D

Savannah
2010-09-16, 12:22 PM
I'm using Photoshop Elements.

Savannah
2010-09-19, 01:53 AM
Garwain, did you get my PM?

Ichneumon, would you take a look at this (http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8430/paimonoutline.png)? Once I start working on the terrain, I can't change the coastline without redoing everything, so let me know if you want any changes now. I took the liberty of adding some small islands that I think make it look more realistic, but if you don't like them I can easily take them out.

Maximum Zersk, when you say floating islands, you mean floating in the air, right? I could do the main continent, and then each island as an inset (like Alaska and Hawaii on maps of the US).

Also, I really hope I did the calculations right for the size! (I've never used A4/A3 paper before, but I looked up the dimensions. Let me know if it looks funky. I did make it slightly smaller so that you can have margins for printing and/or framing)

Ichneumon
2010-09-19, 02:06 AM
It looks great. I do like the islands you added.

EDIT: The size also looks good.
Also, I know it is still far away, but when you see the names of the places, you will see that there are certain names that are in it twice. For example, there are two provinces in North-Dururia named Folan. This is not a mistake and has a world explanation. The only mistake, I am aware of, in the map is the typo of "Chasm of Sorrows".

I really think it is great you want to do this. :smallsmile:

LOTRfan
2010-09-19, 06:48 PM
I've got some Isles I'd like to have mapped. If I e-mailed them, would you mind making them, too?

Savannah
2010-09-19, 06:58 PM
Post/PM/e-mail, however you want to get them to me is fine :smallsmile:

By the way, Ichneumon, there doesn't seem to be a name for the world on the map. Do you have a name for it, or at least for the largest land mass? (Trying to figure out what to name my files :smalltongue:)

Ichneumon
2010-09-19, 11:46 PM
Actually, you named it correctly, the name for the world is Paimon.:smalltongue:

Also, please don't be afraid to be creative or give it your own swing with creating terrain and such. You can/should have fun too. It's great you're willing to do this and aprt from the facts that are on the map, very little is written into stone, so if you want to make some areas more mountainous for example, feel free to do so.

LOTRfan
2010-09-21, 05:55 PM
Alright, the e-mail has been sent. Thanks again! :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-09-21, 06:02 PM
I got it. I'll go add you to the waiting list.

Ignition
2010-09-21, 06:43 PM
Ooo, I love your work! And I am indeed looking for someone to make me a map, possibly several depending on how well the first one works out, of a campaign world I'm designing.

Once I get it scanned - hopefully this week but probably more like sometime in the next few - I will email you the sketches I have; ideally, I'd like to have a "full version", as well as at least one "detailed" version of this setting's human civilized area. I'm probably not going to print it, but I will be posting it on my own site; I'm also fine with you using it as a reference, especially if it's as good as your Practice map :smallbiggrin:

As far as size, about as big as your Practice map would be fine for the "full version", with the "detailed" version likely being about half that; I'm not sure about the final 'real' dimensions of the setting, so I'll have to make some decisions over the course of the sketching process to make it make sense.

The Pressman
2010-10-03, 04:15 AM
Great work! Cartography is an interest of mine. I see it culturally as somewhat of the graphic equivalent of typography.

ANYWAYS

I have a world(Etterup-Gård) that I'd like to have fleshed out a bit, and maybe be a bit more...colorful. Richer, deeper, I think would be better.

Here is a line drawing. The ocean is on the left, the inlet goes into a bay. I'm really sorry nothing's labeled.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q19DEjZxzCA/TKgMfvCqkdI/AAAAAAAAASk/mmTVfr-jM-k/s512/Top.jpg

Also sorry for the crappy scan, and for the fact that it is...askew.
And that country with the small peninsula is Massachusetts, backwards, and placed in this world. I figured that in a world filled with magic and monsters, a little ordinariness would be welcome. Not that there is not magic, just that they're rather no-nonsense about it.

And now, an advance apology for a wall of text.

I don't have a picture with geographic details yet, but this is how I imagine it.

The large circular line encircling the area is a crater wall.
The circles with "X"s in them are capitols.
The small circumpunct in the lake is a pirate state.
Terrain is lightly hilly, with land near the great Fjorded Lake in the middle (looks like some sort of insect, I now realize) being prevailingly marshy.
A large forest covers Etterup-Gård in the south, just below the long state that reaches from the lake to the crater wall.
Foothills pervade the land near the crater walls, except to the north.
In the South, it may not look like it, but the bottom-most 4 states border another nation.
Unfortunately, names for these places are in short supply, as it takes a while to come up with 53 thematically correct names.
Terrain:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Q19DEjZxzCA/TKjsUZph0UI/AAAAAAAAAoI/spSD-9i8qDk/s800/Top-2.jpg

I really hope I'm saying this in a way that isn't too rude, because I have problems conversing face-to-face, and forums don't exactly ameliorate those tendencies.:smallbiggrin:

Hoping I'm not overstepping anything, anything at all....

Serpentine
2010-10-03, 08:15 AM
Hey. Wanna make me a cave? Mine really sucks. I'll, like, be grateful and stuff.

Kislath
2010-10-03, 08:45 AM
Whoa!
That's a nice map! I wasn't expecting anything like that. That's buy-it-in-the-game-store quality.

I would put in a request for a map or six, but I see you're already getting overwhelmed.

Savannah
2010-10-03, 01:59 PM
No problem, Helmuth. It may be a while before I get to it, but I can give it a shot.

I have no idea how good I am at making caves. I could give it a try, though.

Sorry I don't have more to show of the maps I've been working on. The urge to map comes and goes, and right now it's ....going. I will get back to them, sometime :smallredface:

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-11, 06:37 PM
Well, since I'm too lazy to make a map, here's one I made earlier! That sucks!

(Warning: Large)

Here! (http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/Zorosuke/GitpMap-1.png)

Now, the coastline can be changed a bit and the rivers probably aren't scientifically correct. Also, there's no mountains, but those should be between the desert-looking area and the grassy-looking area.

Make sense? :smallredface:

Savannah
2010-10-11, 06:57 PM
Your rivers actually aren't bad. Yes, it makes sense, although I'm sorta involved in a lot of other things right now, so it may be a bit before I get to it. Me? Work on too many different things? Never!

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-11, 07:05 PM
Your rivers actually aren't bad. Yes, it makes sense, although I'm sorta involved in a lot of other things right now, so it may be a bit before I get to it. Me? Work on too many different things? Never!

Oh that's good then. -Relieved-

Oh I know what you're talking about. Right now, I'm working on two webcomics, planning another one, am a part of a few roleplaying games, am working on a worldbuilding project, and I still need to start that halloween costume.

Savannah
2010-11-07, 02:18 PM
Just to let you know, I have been working on these a bit, but I've run into some issues making the terrain look the way I want it to. I had an idea today, so we'll see if it works out.

Ichneumon
2010-11-07, 02:21 PM
Great to hear that! I am highly interested. The only reason I didn't post a "how are things going?"-post was because I didn't want to pressure you, since you're doing this for free and all.:smallsmile:

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-08, 04:31 PM
You're maps look cool. I have one I'd like to be made, but I'll wait until you have time available.

Plus I still have to finish the sketch. And scan it.

Savannah
2010-11-08, 07:57 PM
Shockingly, it looks much better when you remember a key step in the process :smallsigh:

And to prove that I have been working on it, Melnor now has some mountains and hills......
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4149/melnorelevation.png

It looks a bit weird because I shrunk it a lot (and I still need to do a lot of work) but, hey, progress! And I just saw at least two mistakes that I need to fix....

Garwain
2010-11-19, 03:00 AM
Wow Savannah, that looks GREAT! Already exceeding my expectations, so I'm really looking forward to the final result. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-12-14, 06:12 PM
Wow. I got completely sidetracked and forgot about working on this. Sorry about that.

Here's my current progress on Melnor. I just need to figure out how to do forests...
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1589/melnorterrain.png

The Pressman
2010-12-14, 10:38 PM
I have to say, you are amazing at this.

Cealocanth
2010-12-14, 10:39 PM
I agree. I have a map I need done, by the way. Just let me find and scan it...

Savannah
2010-12-26, 02:14 AM
Okay, I think I'm done! Yay! (Pending any requested changes, of course.)

Linked because it's way huge. (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/melnor.jpg/) If I did my calculations right, it should print at A4, though. Garwain, let me know if you want any changes. I'm not thrilled with the forests or the labeling, but I can't seem to figure out something I am thrilled with and you've waited long enough :smalltongue:

In doing this map, I've determined that A4/8.5x11" is the biggest I can easily make a map, so sorry to those of you who were wanting A3, but I won't be able to do that comfortably. (You may be able to print it at the larger size, but I can't promise it will look good....)

Since it took me so long on that map, if you've submitted a previous request would you just let me know you're still interested? I'll probably also take one or two new requests, if someone new wants one. Hopefully the more I do the less time I'll need :smalltongue:

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-26, 02:18 AM
Yeah, still interested, though I'm not sure how active the worldbuilding project'll be.

Ichneumon
2010-12-26, 02:35 AM
I'm still interested. :smallamused:

They look great.

The Pressman
2010-12-26, 03:24 AM
Still interested. I used to be Helmuth, but the press became too strong...it overtook me.

Anyways, yeah, they look amazing.

Savannah
2010-12-26, 03:31 AM
I used to be Helmuth, but the press became too strong...it overtook me.

That would explain my confusion when I was going back through the thread and saw your request but didn't remember you posting it under that name....

Cealocanth
2010-12-26, 04:09 PM
I did mention a map I needed done earlier. Well, Savannah, I have yet another request for you. My very rough pencil drawing is in the spoiler below. I've done some editing so you can read the map, which can be blatantly obvious at times. The map is followed by some descriptions to help you with texturing and coloring.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9231/midnightshoreareaedited.png

The Black Wastes - Volcanic sand Desert, named for the color of it's sand.

The Sea of Lost Hope - Sand Dunes on the southern border of the Wastes

The Creeping Sands - The border of the wastes has grown over time. The area that used to be fertile and is now covered in sand is known as the Creeping Sands

The White Grain Hills - Rolling hills named for the abundance of snow white grass usually used for grain among the locals.

The Fertile Strip - The one, truly fertile area on the border of the wastes. It's low elevation and proximity to the sea makes it very life supporting, but continually is wiped clean by the death winds in the Wastes. There are many forests here, but not rainforest by any means.

The Dragon's Teeth - A range of jagged rocks and broken cliffs, the Dragon's teeth has been stripped of nearly all life by the winds off the Wastes. It even extends out into the ocean, creating highly treacherous waters

The Crown of the Ancients - A strange enchantment over this land and it's three islands has allowed it to survive the plight of the Dragon's Teeth. It's abundant with life, forming a rainforest. The Astral Energy in this area is so intense, the land itself can be considered highly radioactive, forming some of the strangest mutant creatures to protect the Crown.

It's okay if you don't get to this for a while. I know you're busy.

Savannah
2010-12-27, 08:22 PM
Here's another go at the outline of Paimon. I may end up doing a third, since I'm still figuring out what the size and resolution needs to be so that I don't go crazy making it :smallsigh: On the plus side, that took way less time than it did before!

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8430/paimonoutline.png

Ichneumon, are the green areas on your map forest or something else? Also, is the grey area around the Chasm of Sorrows a mountain range (with the chasm in it) or is the entire thing the chasm?

Ichneumon
2010-12-28, 07:55 AM
That looks great!

Yes, the green areas are forests.
The grey area are mountain ranges (with the chasm in it).

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-04, 09:16 PM
Hey Savannah, could you make a map for me once you have time? My cousin's writing a book, but still needs a map of the world in the book. He hasn't given me a sketch yet, but he says he's working on it.

Don't worry, if your map is in the version that may or may not be published, you will be credited.

Savannah
2011-01-04, 10:23 PM
Sure, just get me the sketch when he's got it done and I'll put it in line. Make sure he does know I'll be posting the works in progress and the final map on here.

Both for him and in general, I'm fine with you using these maps however you want for your own use. If you're wanting to publish them, I'll need to think about it (once you've got an offer, of course).

Ajadea
2011-01-06, 12:14 AM
Savannah, mind giving me some pointers? I've been using Photoshop CS3 to make a map (specifically, the atlas-style world map for the setting you lot are in), and everything goes way too dark on Mountains and Hills. I didn't skip anything from the tutorial. Do you have any tips for adapting, because the dude who wrote the tutorial did so on a different version of Photoshop.

Savannah
2011-01-06, 12:31 AM
Hehe, I saw your name and thought "Wait, she can't be requesting a map! I'd know too much if she was!"

Unfortunately, I can't really help with that. (And if you think you've got it bad, I'm using Photoshop Elements..... *jealous*) What I do now for the mountains and hills is only loosely based on his tutorial (it's more based on this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11273-Realistic-Land-Mountain-Texture-Made-Easy&highlight=elevation), but because I'm using PSE, I can't do steps 6 onward). You could always ask in the tutorial thread, or see if someone else has asked there. I've seen Ascension answering questions about the tutorial there before (they don't seem to care about thread necromancy there, so don't worry if it's old).

Ajadea
2011-01-06, 12:42 AM
Ack....I think I'd better just keep experimenting with colors.

Until then, you get my parchment-paper stylized maps. You don't mind those, right?

Savannah
2011-01-06, 12:50 AM
Mind? They're AWESOME!

Ajadea
2011-01-06, 12:55 AM
Ok, that means I have time to figure out how this map thing works.

Thanks anyways. I'll leave before I derail your thread now. :smallredface:

Ninjaman
2011-01-08, 03:53 PM
Nic work SSavannah those are awesome

Savannah
2011-01-08, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Ninjaman :smallsmile:

I've been alternately sick and really busy for a while now, but that's mostly over and I'm hoping to get a lot more done on these soon.

Ninjaman
2011-01-08, 05:28 PM
I guess you are using photoshop but doesn´t that cost money?

Savannah
2011-01-08, 05:38 PM
I'm using Photoshop Elements, which is cheaper than the full Photoshop (I really want the full Photoshop, but it's way too expensive and I'm not an art student to get a student discount :smallfrown:). I got Elements when I bought my graphics tablet; it came bundled with the tablet. But, yeah, I had to buy it.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-08, 05:44 PM
Have you tried Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/)? It's open source and free. For drawing, I normally use Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/) but when I need to modify a raster image, I use Gimp.

Savannah
2011-01-08, 05:55 PM
Yes. Messed around with it, couldn't really get into it, and as I recall it didn't have the ability to do one of the things I'm most missing from Photoshop, although I can't remember what that was now. (I know about Inkscape, too.)

Ninjaman
2011-01-08, 06:36 PM
Have you tried Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/)? It's open source and free. For drawing, I normally use Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/) but when I need to modify a raster image, I use Gimp.

Yea i tried it and it didn´t really work, i couldn´t make anything, nice:smallfrown:
:smallfrown:Ninjaman never gets anything nice:smallfrown:

Cealocanth
2011-01-10, 11:31 PM
You get a nicely shadowed avatar. That seems pretty nice.

Garwain
2011-01-12, 03:15 AM
I just wanted to give you a BIG THANK YOU for the map of Melnor. It looks really really cool. I'm already inspired by the map to bend some stories around it. It is everything I hoped for and better.

Savannah
2011-01-12, 04:29 AM
You're welcome. I'm glad you like it!

Garwain
2011-01-12, 06:17 AM
You're welcome. I'm glad you like it!
Printing out the map did not work on my humble printer, I'll take it to the printer shop next door.

I did use it immeadiatly to upgrade it into a more stylished version of the online tool I made for the campaign, see here (http://kouterlopers.host-ed.net/gauge/mapmelnor.html). Formerly a crappy paint drawing, now a very nice lifelike map with clickable areas. A bit cropped and reduced in size for convenience (you don't need printer quality online), but still... I caught myself staring at it for 5min.

Levyathyn
2011-01-16, 08:46 PM
Posting here:

Hello there, I love your maps and would like to be enrolled to wait on one, if it's no trouble.

My request is kind of loose. I'm just looking for a relatively big (1024x1024 or more) unlabelled map of a few major continents. I only need maybe four main large landmasses in any shape, and maybe a few smaller islands around them, depicting most or all of a world. As long as nothing trails off the edges, it'll work fine. In fact, if you have anything like this, that would be great.

Fit me in whenever, or feel free to decline. ^_^ Either way, thank you for your time.

Demonweave
2011-01-16, 11:59 PM
Firstly I want to say that your maps are amazing Savannah. And doing all this for free is very kind.

Are you still taking requests? If not that's fine, I can see how many you get.

Levyathyn
2011-01-17, 12:18 AM
As I mentioned to Savannah, I may cancel my order, especially if she seems very busy. It'd be a shame; I don't think I mentioned how awesome they are. Though I write well, I've never been an artisté in the graphical sense. ^_^ It's very generous to offer map skills pro bono publico, so to speak.

Savannah
2011-01-17, 05:08 AM
Are you still taking requests? If not that's fine, I can see how many you get.

That would depend on how long you're willing to wait :smalltongue:

Here's the progress on Paimon (not full size). Let me know if there's anything you want changed so far. I just need to do the forests, rivers, labeling, and touching up.
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3729/paimonterrain.png

I restructured the first post, including some comments if you're requesting a map, so you might want to take a look.

true_shinken
2011-01-17, 10:59 AM
Savannah, your work is awesome. I have wanted a map of my world for years now and I found your practice map to be very similar to what I wanted. Would you be so kind as to map it for me? The only thing remotely different about it is a flying city.

Demonweave
2011-01-17, 11:46 AM
That would depend on how long you're willing to wait :smalltongue:

It's a pretty Large Campaign I am running (with Alot of Identical Parallel worlds)
so I am happy to wait a while, if you are happy enough to map it for me.

Ichneumon
2011-01-17, 01:16 PM
Savannah, your work is awesome.

I second that. I'm going to be honest, being a non-native speaker, I feel I'm not eloquent enough to tell you how great this is. I have nothing to add, just: please continue: it looks perfect, better than I could have imagined it. It's very inspiring. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-01-17, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone :smallredface: true_shinken and Demonweave, if you post either a description or a sketch, I'll add you to the waiting list.

Ichneumon, do you have any preference on font for labeling? I'm debating whether it would look better with a more "hand-written" font or a more standard font like I used on Melnor.

Ichneumon
2011-01-17, 02:44 PM
I quite like the lettering you used for Melnor myself.

Demonweave
2011-01-17, 02:51 PM
Awesome, please put me on the list, I will definately have one.
May just take me a few days to scan one, as I will need to use the Library.

Savannah
2011-01-18, 12:27 AM
Latest version of Paimon
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1380/paimonterrain2.png

I had been hoping to finish today, but I was experimenting with the forest again and playing around with how to do the country borders, both of which took longer than I wanted. I believe all I need to do is finish the other country borders and the province borders, label everything, and make any last adjustments (including redoing the colors on the borders because I just realized that doing provinces within the yellow one would be a real pain :smallsigh:).

Ichneumon, would you prefer that the countries have different colored borders or the same? And any preferences on colors?

Derjuin
2011-01-18, 01:18 AM
Hi Savannah! Before anything else I have to say your maps look awesome! I was wondering, are you still taking more for now, or are you full up on requests at the moment?

I was also wondering, do you add cities/roads/etc. to the maps you're making now, or do you primarily do landscape layouts? I have a map I would love to have done by you, but it has roads/cities/towns/temples n stuff all over it, too...

Ichneumon
2011-01-18, 02:05 AM
Latest version of Paimon
X

Wow, that looks amazing. :smalleek: Really well job. I'm seriously going to use this map A LOT.

Ichneumon, would you prefer that the countries have different colored borders or the same? And any preferences on colors?

I really like the different colors, maybe add purple, cyan or orange if you can't come up for anything good for the remaining countries?

I think it will look better though if you do the provinces in 1 colour, which would be the colour of the country.

Savannah
2011-01-18, 02:13 AM
Hi Savannah! Before anything else I have to say your maps look awesome! I was wondering, are you still taking more for now, or are you full up on requests at the moment?

As I said above, that depends entirely on how long you're willing to wait :smalltongue: At the moment I'm working pretty fast, but sometimes it slows down.... And thank you!

I was also wondering, do you add cities/roads/etc. to the maps you're making now, or do you primarily do landscape layouts? I have a map I would love to have done by you, but it has roads/cities/towns/temples n stuff all over it, too...

On the map of Melnor, I used dots for cities and it had roads. Paimon may or may not have roads (I can't remember) and it will have cities in a bit. If you're wanting more detailed city drawings.....city maps are may bane, but I can give it a try :smalltongue: Challenges are always good :smallwink:

I think it will look better though if you do the provinces in 1 colour, which would be the colour of the country.

I was planning on doing the provinces in a slightly lighter shade of the country's color (which is why the yellow's not going to work so well). I realized I needed to have planned the colors better than I did, so I'm probably going to redo them.

Ichneumon
2011-01-18, 02:18 AM
I was planning on doing the provinces in a slightly lighter shade of the country's color (which is why the yellow's not going to work so well).

That would look cool, I think.

Derjuin
2011-01-18, 02:44 AM
As I said above, that depends entirely on how long you're willing to wait :smalltongue: At the moment I'm working pretty fast, but sometimes it slows down.... And thank you!

On the map of Melnor, I used dots for cities and it had roads. Paimon may or may not have roads (I can't remember) and it will have cities in a bit. If you're wanting more detailed city drawings.....city maps are may bane, but I can give it a try :smalltongue: Challenges are always good :smallwink:

Ok, that'd be great, I'm not quite looking for City maps (I prefer to just hand-draw those, in case anything needs to change on the fly or as the campaign progresses), but a map like the Melnor one would be awesome! I'd be willing to wait for maps like these :smallbiggrin:

Here's the reference, the key should explain most of the things in it...

The area labeled "The Scar" is burned forest, and the glowing purple area is supposed to be "unexplored" or a mysterious area; I forgot to add those as part of the key...

The jagged edges between the various areas are just to show that it's not like a "The plains suddenly turns into desert at this specific line" sort of thing.

Also, the Holy Place near the lake near Darralon is "Church of Gesuj".

Sorry for any parts of the map that are fuzzy/difficult to read! :smalleek:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/xilobucket/Map2.png

Savannah
2011-01-18, 03:02 AM
Looks interesting :smallbiggrin: (Especially the Darkseal....I wanna know what's behind it!) What size are you wanting it?

By the way, rivers flow from many smaller streams to a single larger stream exiting into the ocean (the only exception are river deltas). Several of yours are backwards :smallwink:

Derjuin
2011-01-18, 03:33 AM
Looks interesting :smallbiggrin: (Especially the Darkseal....I wanna know what's behind it!) What size are you wanting it?

By the way, rivers flow from many smaller streams to a single larger stream exiting into the ocean (the only exception are river deltas). Several of yours are backwards :smallwink:

8.5x11 (A4 I think?) would be great :smallsmile:

Ooh...well, uhm. A wizard did it :smalltongue: I can fix most of the river stuff, the only one that should be a delta is near the "town" of Verdancy, and the big river + lots of little rivers down past the Argent wall.

Edit: I think the newly edited-in map will work better, verisimilitude-wise.

Levyathyn
2011-01-18, 06:54 PM
I did indeed find a suitable map, so I will be forfeiting a map, for now. Thanks anyway, but hopefully this speeds the list up a little. ^_^

Demonweave
2011-01-25, 07:44 AM
Hey again Savannah, I'm really struggling to get access to a scanner.
But I can draw a very crude sketch on paint or similar accompanied by a description.
Would that be acceptable enough for you to work from?

Savannah
2011-01-25, 12:59 PM
A map in paint + description would be perfectly fine.

Fay Graydon
2011-02-03, 12:48 AM
if you could have a go at doing the following map...but maybe redesign it and shuffle things about and weave your own map making magic? ^^
For example the volcanic region needs to be a bit larger and as well as "Grak Nul" another noticeable place in the volcanic area is "Morr Grigh"

Also I only really did one continant... I never really did the ice Wastes or the Deadlands... so feel free to put whatever you want there ^^

But yeah if you could maybe make the layout of the map more like it might be if it was real? ^^ thanks <3

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo79/Ikaeru/FinishedmapofGaiaTera-1.png?t=1296711726

Oh and the world is called Crystaria

Savannah
2011-02-03, 01:15 AM
You have some geographical issues there... Is that east continent supposed to be a desert? Dry deserts generally occur where there's a mountain range to catch the wet air coming in off the sea (with the desert on the other side). In addition, dry and wet zones tend to occur along different latitude lines (can't remember where, exactly, off the top of my head), so having a nice, lush continent and a dry, desolate continent at the same latitude looks funky to me without a strong reason for it to have a desert. Also the rivers...rivers go to the sea, high elevation to low, and join up along the way. I can't quite see what you've got going on there, but I do see some either starting or stopping in weird spots. I'll be happy to shuffle stuff around, though, just let me know if anything has to stay where it is for what you're working on with the map :smallwink:

Ajadea
2011-02-03, 01:21 AM
Rivers do split as they travel downstream sometimes. It's called a distributary. The Nile Delta is a famous one.

And deserts can form rather counterintuitively sometimes: The Sahara isn't really blocked from the wet air to the west, and yet the west is as dry as the rest of it.
[/nitpick]

Savannah
2011-02-03, 01:35 AM
Granted on both points. But deltas are a very specific instance and the Sahara has some really complex stuff going on that I wasn't getting into. If it's important to keep the desert where it is, I'm sure I can come up with a nice explanation, but just glancing over it, it looks weird :smalltongue:

LOTRfan
2011-02-17, 06:21 PM
Hey, are you still willing to create mine?

Savannah
2011-02-17, 06:47 PM
Yes.... Unfortunately, I am totally sidetracked by some other projects at the moment. I should get back to this at some point, though.

LOTRfan
2011-02-17, 07:48 PM
Take as much time as you need. I can wait.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-26, 01:56 PM
I was gonna request a map, but after seeing Paimon, I think I'll use that. It's nearly what I wanted, and I already figured out the adjustments from what I wanted. The forest was gonna be in the north, but it's fine in the south, there were supposed to be multiple mountain ranges, but one big one works. And since I hadn't thought beyond one region and the bordering areas (and even that wasn't fully thought out), the rest doesn't need any adjustment on my part.

Never mind.:smallannoyed:

Savannah
2011-02-26, 06:01 PM
Swiftmongoose, you may not use the map unless you first clear it with Ichneumon and me. These maps are NOT free to use without permission, as they belong to the person who requested them.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-26, 06:27 PM
Swiftmongoose, you may not use the map unless you first clear it with Ichneumon and me. These maps are NOT free to use without permission, as they belong to the person who requested them.

Okay, okay, sorry.

Ichneumon
2011-02-27, 06:39 AM
I'm just posting to show my face in the thread and indicate I'm still interested in the map. Don't feel rushed or anything, though. Take your time. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-02-27, 11:09 AM
Yeah, sorry, been super busy with other stuff. I've been thinking about it lately, though....

Ichneumon
2011-02-27, 11:35 AM
Yeah, sorry, been super busy with other stuff. I've been thinking about it lately, though....

Don't worry about it. I myself am busy at the moment as well and I'm currently not DM'ing a game in the world of Paimon any more (but I certainly will do so again in the future!), so it doesn't matter. I'm very excited though.:smallwink:

Wannabehero
2011-03-18, 01:46 PM
Savannah,

Are you a member of the cartographer's guild?

Savannah
2011-03-18, 02:33 PM
....wow, I have too many projects to keep track of. I'll be getting back to this soon.

And, yes, I am a member of the Cartographers' Guild. I rarely post there, but I'm Savannah there as well.

Wannabehero
2011-03-18, 04:08 PM
Very cool, I'll look you up there sometime

Garwain
2011-03-25, 09:32 AM
For those who cannot come up with a creative idea, I suggest to have a look at the random map generator here (http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/mapgen2.swf).

Quality of Savannah's custom made maps is waaay higher.:smallsmile:

Savannah
2011-03-25, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but the wait time is waaay longer :smalltongue::smallredface:

horngeek
2011-03-26, 01:24 AM
Also, it doesn't add cities.

Incidentally, I'll have a map request soon, I'd just like to get the sketch drawn first. :smallsmile:

Ninjaman
2011-03-26, 02:06 AM
It isn´t that random either, lots of the maps look a lot the same, and are really high. It also wants to put in a volcano

Jallorn
2011-04-05, 01:19 AM
Guess who just discovered this thread Savannah? Me! :smallbiggrin:

When you have the time, I'd be thrilled to see what you can do with this (http://jallorn.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-Ferar-182936343?q=gallery%3Ajallorn&qo=0) map. :smallbiggrin: I can upload the .xcf file to rapidshare or something if you'd like to see that, it includes my initial hand drawing off of which the rest of the map was based.

Also, it'd be neat if you could maybe increase the size of the map, but I'm not expecting miracles or anything. What I've got now is usable, but whoever settled for usable in this world?

Savannah
2011-04-05, 01:59 AM
I've added you to the list. The wait time is reeeeeaaaaaly long, though :smallredface:

Cealocanth
2011-04-06, 10:06 PM
Just letting you know that I am still interested in the map despite the fact that I asked for it a couple months ago. I'd still love to see the finished thing, so take your time, make sure the maps you do, whoever they may be for, are as good as they can be and don't feel rushed.

The Pressman
2011-04-06, 10:42 PM
Just letting you know that I am still interested in the map despite the fact that I asked for it a couple months ago. I'd still love to see the finished thing, so take your time, make sure the maps you do, whoever they may be for, are as good as they can be and don't feel rushed.

Same for me. I have another picture, though:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/352/f/1/map_of_etterup_gaard_by_sovtjek-d355qwc.png

Savannah
2011-05-15, 12:27 PM
Hey, everyone, just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten this, I've just been really busy. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to it, sorry :smallredface:

Savannah
2011-06-15, 01:01 AM
Ugh, I'm really, really busy and I don't think I'll be getting back to this any time soon, sorry. If/when I do have time to do maps again, I'll be sure to PM everyone who was interested in one. Again, sorry for offering and then not being able to follow up on it.

McQ
2011-06-24, 08:02 AM
Drat! Showed up too late to ask for a map and pick your brain for D&D 3.5 knowledge.

LOTRfan
2011-06-24, 05:02 PM
Don't worry about it. Real life comes first. :smallsmile: