PDA

View Full Version : It's the sound card, right?

Zen Monkey
2010-09-13, 08:03 AM
Well, the sound on my pc has died. More specifically, when I turn on the speakers the subwoofer puts out a low rumble and nothing else while the other speakers deliver nothing.. When I plug in different (cheaper, smaller) speakers I get nothing, same as when I plug in headphones (I know the headphones work, plugged them into my guitar amp to test them). The device manager (windows vista) says the sound card is working fine and there are no new drivers to install. All I can think of is that the sound card itself has gone bad and needs replacing. Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 09:26 AM
You did make sure to plug in the speaker cables into the right connectors, right? :smallwink:

Try reinstalling the driver for the sound card, and definitely make sure that you (or someone else) haven't just muted the sound.

If it's a laptop, it's usually got some volume controllers on the keyboard or the keyboard bezel, and sometimes you can manage to press them even if you don't intend to.
On some machines, these volume controllers are separate from the Windows settings as well, so it may be that the Windows volume setting is listed as 100%, but the hardware volume is muted.