PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.X] Divine Commander (Feat)

Jergmo
2010-09-17, 04:48 PM
So, we've got our paladin - the un/holy commander champion wo/man. Then we've got our marshal - the terrific field commander, buffing everyone with spiffy, exciting auras. There are many feats that combine the features of two classes.

So why not do both?

Divine Commander [Class Synergy]
Prerequisite: Divine Grace, one Major Marshal aura.
Benefit: Your paladin and marshal levels stack for the purpose of determining your smite and marshal auras. For example, a 4th-level paladin/2nd-level marshal with this feat would be able to smite twice per day and have 3 minor as well as 2 major marshal auras.

The Mentalist
2010-09-17, 09:54 PM
I am completely stealing this.

On the other hand, the readiness with which I want to use it makes me ask is it balanced? Do Marshals really get anything other than their auras (anything useful I mean.) or did you just make an entire class obsolete?

Jergmo
2010-09-17, 09:59 PM
I am completely stealing this.

On the other hand, the readiness with which I want to use it makes me ask is it balanced? Do Marshals really get anything other than their auras (anything useful I mean.) or did you just make an entire class obsolete?

Well, the Marshal has more varied class skills, more skill points, and it can grant extra Move actions (or temporary hit points with a PHBII variant). However, it's not like all the other feats like this don't lead to nothing more than dips, y'know?

There are also plenty of folks that feel paladins need the help.

The Mentalist
2010-09-17, 10:13 PM
They do need the help I was just making sure that they got something else.

Jergmo
2010-09-17, 10:15 PM
They do need the help I was just making sure that they got something else.

Aye, aye. It might not sound like much from certain perspectives, but I could see various situations where an extra Move action would be handy indeed. Marshals and Monks are probably bestest pals. :smalltongue:

ErrantX
2010-09-17, 10:21 PM
Good feat, I like it. Balanced and takes two weaker classes and provides some great synergy.

-X

thubby
2010-09-18, 12:50 AM
considering how weak the 2 classes are, you could probably mash them together without a feat and still need more daka.

T.G. Oskar
2010-09-18, 03:43 AM
considering how weak the 2 classes are, you could probably mash them together without a feat and still need more daka.

That depends on the dakka. And remember, there is never enough dakka (think of the Cleric).

Bigger, better, stronger spellcasting, for example?

Appropriate class features for the actual rider, not wonderful class features for the mount?

Um...being pretty much undefeatable?

On topic: the mixture of both classes are stupendous. Granted, it'll take a bit to improve, but it definitely makes for boosting a bit the Paladin's power by making a Marshal dip, or make the Marshal...well, it's hard to think that a Pally dip will reward the Marshal, since you'll probably make it a 3-level dip and still face the troubles of lack of appropriate abilities. Grant Move Action is cool, but just not enough; Skill Focus (diplomacy) is basically a free feat to enable Diplomancy which can be reinforced on the Paladin path, and you'll get enough smites to handle but low BAB to really make them worthwhile.

Though, a Marshal 6/Paladin 4/Mythic Exemplar 10 would be pretty nice with this feat (alternatively, Marshal 7/Paladin 4/Mythic Exemplar 9, since the last ability is so-so; the perma-bonus to Charisma is awesome, but the other ability is the so-so ability).

Hmm, that reminds me Project Heretica and the Retooled Marshal are on my lab's flasks...wonder how those will actually combine with this feat...

Fizban
2010-09-18, 03:53 AM
Reading the thread title, I was kinda hoping for a [Divine] feat that gave bonuses to allies or something. This is good too. I like how it's just like the other synergy feats: technically you could use it both ways, but it will only ever be used one way, as a stealth fix to a particular class.