PDA

View Full Version : (3.5)Early entry tricks for Eldritch Theurge

Ilmryn
2010-09-17, 06:46 PM
I'm considering playing a Dread Necromancer/warlock Eldritch theurge. Anyone know any early entry tricks, or has build suggestions?

Zaydos
2010-09-17, 06:54 PM
Versatile Spellcaster has been argued to work for the Dread Necromancer side.

An Illumian with Naenhoon + Heighten Spell has also been argued.

For the 2d6 eldritch blast side you could try Chausable of Fell Power which gives you +1d6 damage with eldritch blast. But it is an 8000 GP magic item.

Edit: People will argue if magic items count for PrCs prerequisites, though.

Ilmryn
2010-09-17, 07:35 PM
Versatile Spellcaster has been argued to work for the Dread Necromancer side.

What book is that from?

Zaydos
2010-09-17, 07:37 PM
What book is that from?

Races of the Dragon. It might still need to be combined with Heighten Spell, though. I'm not the best on early entry tricks.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-17, 07:38 PM
Edit: People will argue if magic items count for PrCs prerequisites, though.

Well, they explicitly do, so RAW wise, not much of an argument.

Just don't lose or sell the item before you gain enough to fulfill the prereq naturally, tho.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-17, 07:56 PM
The skill requirements of Eldritch Theurge means you can't get into it any sooner than (X+Y) 5/ ET. You could go Warlock 1/ Dread Necro 4/ ET with a Chausible of Fell Power, or you could go Warlock 4/ Dread Necro 1/ ET with Versatile Spellcaster and if necessary Heighten Spell, or with Naenhoon + Heighten, or with Improved Sigil: Krau, etc. It just depends on which class you want to focus more on.

Zhalath
2010-09-17, 08:05 PM
Well, they explicitly do, so RAW wise, not much of an argument.

Just don't lose or sell the item before you gain enough to fulfill the prereq naturally, tho.
Doesn't that mean I could pick up a scroll as a rogue with UMD, and then enter a caster PrC (hypothetically. I can't see any that'd be useful. Assume for the lulz), ceteris paribus?

Dhavaer
2010-09-17, 08:48 PM
No, UMDing scrolls doesn't count as casting spells.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-17, 08:50 PM
No, UMDing scrolls doesn't count as casting spells.

This.

However, it's a great way to pass feat requirements. Have heroics cast on you or some such.

Zhalath
2010-09-17, 09:13 PM
This.

However, it's a great way to pass feat requirements. Have heroics cast on you or some such.

Don't you lose whatever the PrC is when you don't have heroics cast on you?

"Yo, bard, I need a heroics over here. Wanna access my PrC."

Zaydos
2010-09-17, 09:26 PM
This is why I warned that there might be an argument if he actually tried using the item to qualify. Every time I've seen it suggested people have argued about it. I will say Curmudgeon has made the best argument for it I've seen; although even then it leaves it questionable if it is RAI and something you'd want to double check with your DM.

Ilmryn
2010-09-18, 11:13 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice. It seems my best plan is to go Warlock3/DN2/ET, using precocious apprentice. Is there any way to get more skill ranks early?

Coidzor
2010-09-18, 11:48 AM
Hmm, there's two ways I recall, one involves turning into some kind of thing that gains HD when it feasts on the living so you chow down on a crate of chickens or pen of sheep and then investing skill points and reverting back, and the other involves a bard right at level up.

I just can't recall the details.

Captain Six
2010-09-18, 11:59 AM
It can be argued that Practiced Spellcaster raises Eldritch Blast damage. Technically Eldritch Blast damage only raises when taking levels of the warlock class but every DM I've met has had no problem with having it tied to warlock caster level instead.