PDA

View Full Version : Writing A Resume

Klose_the_Sith
2010-09-18, 08:57 PM
So I'm looking at applying for this program, problem being that it needs a Resume and I don't have one. Never have.

The only work experience I've had is from refereeing soccer (which was brutal enough to put me off of further work, let me tell you :smallamused:) which leaves me with a life spent at, what, school? How can I use my complete lack of experience?

I've done the soccer refereeing and a work experience program through school. Besides that just the boring old education routine. This job is intended for people without experience who are leaving school, to make them competitive in the jobs market (think who might have a vested interest in the nation remaining strong and grateful :smallwink:) when they lack experience but I don't want to seem completely naive/hopeless when it comes to real work.

Is there anything I can do? Some way I can use my endless hours spent faffing about to my advantage? Or do I have to submit a bare-bones resume and pray?

Mathis
2010-09-18, 09:58 PM
Well if there is anything you've done regularily on your spare time that can be applied at this program (it's difficult to give something concrete in the way of advice when we don't know details, I'm not asking for them, I'm just saying.) then you should add that. Schools definately worth mentioning. Have you done any volunteering somewhere? Started a bookclub? Anything in the lines of taking initiative in your local community or contributing? Your Refereeing suits into this seamlessly. Anything that shows the ones reading your resume why you should be in this program is worth putting in, just don't overdo it, keep it simple and to the point and most important of all relevant.

Zocelot
2010-09-18, 10:11 PM
Put down any skills you can think of, such as bilinguilism or being able to use Microsoft Office. Even something as broad as "people skills" is good; after all, what job doesn't require people skills.

AKAAATT
2010-09-18, 10:23 PM
http://www.howtowritearesume.net/

or just go down to your local library and ask your neighborhood friendly librarians about good books on how to write a resume. remember to dress profesionally for the interview and to make plenty of eye contact.

Mando Knight
2010-09-18, 10:23 PM
And, no, being able to name every Pokémon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlw1FpOCEfo)doesn't count as a skill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4OOS1dezsE). :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-09-18, 11:38 PM
Warning this post may not be informative or helpful at all.

I watched this video before I made my resume

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1940962

It clearly(?) states what not to do.

factotum
2010-09-19, 01:17 AM
If the thing you're applying for is specifically for people who've never had a job, why are you thinking that never having had a job will be a problem? :smallconfused:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-09-19, 02:13 AM
If the thing you're applying for is specifically for people who've never had a job, why are you thinking that never having had a job will be a problem? :smallconfused:

Even though it's a program for people leaving school who have never had a real job, it's still a program that's difficult to get a place in and every last inch counts. Seeing as a resume submission is kind of mandatory I didn't want to have that be a particular weakness.

Allan Surgite
2010-09-19, 04:17 AM
Lie. Constantly and blatantly.

If you mention your lack of experience, ensure that you tack on the words "...but I am willing and eager to learn" or something along those lines. They're words that appear (or have appeared) on nigh-on many people's resumés/CVs and I am sure that many employers will disregard them on sight, but their inclusion is better than "I have no experience in anything, can I have a job now?"

Mind you, if most people flat-out told the truth on their resumé/CV, very few people would get hired. I have little doubt I'd be a particularly big offender to the lack of job: "I am useless on my own or as part of a team. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MockTheWeek)" :smalltongue:

Urrrrrgh, icky pothole to TVTropes. I was trying to get the point across without having to use the unstylish "[/Mock The Week Plagiarism] tags. Forgive me for the pothole; a quick mouse-over should be quite sufficient to get the gist of the reference. And now, despite what many say/think, I am not as useless as that quote would lead you to think. Or so I'd like to think.

THAC0
2010-09-19, 05:08 PM
Remember that selling yourself is not lying, nor is it being arrogant.

That is something I had a lot of trouble with. I felt embarrassed to list my accomplishments, or to phrase them with what I felt was a lack of modesty.

Resumes are not the time to be modest.

Of course, don't lie. But don't be simplistic, either.

It's not just "I referreed soccer," it's "Refereed X youth soccer games; collaborated with officials, coaches, parents--outstanding judgment vital to community activities"

ETA: here's the format that creates the statement: ACTION (what I did), RESULT (what happened, what was the outcome), IMPACT (why did this matter)

You want the impact to apply to the job you're looking for. So, for a law-type job, judgment seemed appropriate. If it was a PE job, then maybe something involving knowledge of sports rules would be better.

BSW
2010-09-19, 09:02 PM
I've got some experience at writing resumes so I'll chime in. Since this is your first resume and you really have no work experience yet, what you to focus on are your scholastic and extracurricular achievements.

What honors have you received in school? Have you taken any advanced placement courses? If you have, list them. The purpose is to show that you're not afraid to challenge yourself.

Other than refereeing soccer (and THAC0 is absolutely right on how to describe it), what extracurricular and volunteer activities have you participated in? What clubs are you a member of at school? Do you have leadership positions in any of them? Do you participate in student government?

Do you have any special skills? Are you actually bilingual (if you've taken several years of a second language in high school, don't kid yourself or the potential employer... you aren't bilingual)? What computer skills do you possess?

For you, the purpose of a resume isn't to showcase what skills and experience you already have... the potential employer already knows that you really don't have any of that. Rather, your goal should be to show that you're both capable and eager to learn.

I would also strongly advise that you do NOT go above a page in length. Employers rarely read past the first page when they're hiring for an entry level position and there's really no way you have the experience to justify going over a page anyway.

Others have mentioned selling yourself, and that's exactly what you should be doing. However, the resume isn't really where you do that. Your resume should discuss your experience and achievements in brief, positive, and honest terms. Writing positively in the resume does help sell yourself, but it doesn't do the whole job. That's really what a cover letter is for. Write a short letter that you'll attach to the front of the resume. In that letter, briefly explain why you want the job, what you hope to get out of the job, and most importantly... why they should hire you. I'm of the opinion that about three paragraphs is long enough. It shouldn't go over a page in length.

pendell
2010-09-19, 10:02 PM
There's only one thing you can't do on a resume, and that is to lie.

Anything else you've done .. anything at all ... counts. You've done quite a lot in your life ... you just haven't been paid for it.

Look over your hobbies, spare time activities, clubs, etc. While always making sure to slip in verbiage like 'volunteer' so people don't think your mis-leading them, make it sound as good as possible. A resume is an advertisement; you need to get your resume to show *why* you are the best candidate for the job. Think of it as an essay with a specific format, limited to one page. List a set of skills and experiences directly relevant to the position and make it as bluntly obvious as possible why the reader cares.

Respectfully,

Brian P.