PDA

View Full Version : So now you can Wildshape, what now?

Rasman
2010-09-18, 10:44 PM
I just recently got my first druid to 4th level (This is Pathfinder) and can now Wildshape, but I'm not totally sure as to what I should really consider as my Combat Options since all i can really find is stuff about how to abuse Wildshape.

Are there any off the wall suggestions of creatures and their books that I should look at for combat viable options?

Dr.Epic
2010-09-18, 10:54 PM
I don't think you're going to find too many powerful creatures with 4HD. In a few levels, but right now not too many.

Jergmo
2010-09-19, 12:55 AM
Alright, here's what you do. You get a bear animal companion. Then you take one level in Barbarian. From there, progress normally until you're eligible for the Bear Warrior prestige class. After that, get bitten by a Werebear. Also, train your animal companion to be ridden as a mount.

You can now turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that's riding a bear.

From there, you could also have your animal companion be bitten by a werebear, Awaken it, have it become a Druid, take the Natural Bond feat, then take a level in Barbarian and then Bear Warrior. Acquire a new bear animal companion. Rinse and repeat.

You can now turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that's riding a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that has a bear friend that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear who also have bears that can - you get the picture.

Serpentine
2010-09-19, 01:02 AM
Erm... I think that might be an example of:
all i can really find is stuff about how to abuse Wildshape.which appears to be what he doesn't want.

Jergmo
2010-09-19, 01:04 AM
Well, that's why it's a joke! :smallwink:

Besides, abuse of Wildshape? Pfft. The only difference of not having Wildshape would be that you could turn into a bear that could turn into a bear!

Reluctance
2010-09-19, 01:14 AM
Re-read how PF wildshape differs from D&D wildshape. Your combat options come down to gaining a +2 to strength and AC. You're much better off using the movement modes, sensory boosts, or sneaking around than you are with 3.5's method of using all its stats.

WarKitty
2010-09-19, 01:15 AM
For pathfinder, my personal favorites:

Boar (d8 damage)
Cheetah (3 attacks, sprint ability)
Eagle (flying)
Leopard (3 attacks, climb speed)

Those should cover most of your needs.

tyckspoon
2010-09-19, 01:43 AM
Your combat forms don't matter all that much until your wildshape replicates Beast Form II, which grants most of the more interesting special attack forms. At that point, standard advice applies- turn into a big cat, Pounce, and make your party Fighter despair in the knowledge that he will never have that many attacks.

Rasman
2010-09-19, 05:18 AM
For pathfinder, my personal favorites:

Boar (d8 damage)
Cheetah (3 attacks, sprint ability)
Eagle (flying)
Leopard (3 attacks, climb speed)

Those should cover most of your needs.

lol...I could have actually used the Leopard in my last session...

are there any Comprehensive lists for Pathfinder as to what I can Wildshape into? I've looked at Treatmonk's guide, but it only mentions around 4 things or less for each Beastshape/Elemental Body transformation. I'm also allowed to use things outside of Pathfinder, so if there's anything that would translate well considering the differences between 3.5 and Pathfinder, I'd appreciate a tip off on it.

Psyx
2010-09-19, 08:12 AM
What you do is turn into a cool animal, and go 'RAAAAAR!' lots.

It's great fun, and always works for me. I turn into whatever is cool at the time, and don't worry too much about how many plusses I have!

Rasman
2010-09-19, 08:29 AM
What you do is turn into a cool animal, and go 'RAAAAAR!' lots.

It's great fun, and always works for me. I turn into whatever is cool at the time, and don't worry too much about how many plusses I have!

I sadly should since I'm going to be fighting an army in the near future, so maxing my attacks and ability to tear my enemies a new one is really important right now

Snake-Aes
2010-09-19, 08:31 AM
Pathfinder wildshape doesn't work like 3.5

It just emulates a few polymorph spells. In his case he only has Beast Shape 1 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/beast-shape-i), which gives him a few specific abilities, a couple size choices and stat modifiers that come along with the chosen size.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-19, 08:15 PM
Get a bear animal companion. Then you take one level in Barbarian. From there, progress normally until you're eligible for the Bear Warrior prestige class. After that, get bitten by a Werebear. Also, train your animal companion to be ridden as a mount.

From there, take the Natural Bond, awaken it, have your animal companion be bitten by a werebear, have it become a Druid, then take a level in Barbarian and then Bear Warrior. Acquire a new bear animal companion. Rinse and repeat.wow I think this is the only post I can honestly say 'doesn't need more bear' to

JoshuaZ
2010-09-19, 08:16 PM
wow I think this is the only post I can honestly say 'doesn't need more bear' to

You mean you can't bear it any more?

BRC
2010-09-19, 08:18 PM
wow I think this is the only post I can honestly say 'doesn't need more bear' to
Except it does.
You forget that druids can also summon Bears. So each of your bears should be summoning normal bears, who combine and form the FRACTAL BEAR (a Bear made out of smaller bears clinging together)

Ilmryn
2010-09-19, 08:32 PM
Deinonychus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#deinonychus) is my favorite at low levels.

Krazddndfreek
2010-09-19, 08:37 PM
From there, you could also have your animal companion be bitten by a werebear, Awaken it, have it become a Druid, take the Natural Bond feat, then take a level in Barbarian and then Bear Warrior. Acquire a new bear animal companion. Rinse and repeat.

You can now turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that's riding a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear that has a bear friend that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear who also have bears that can - you get the picture.

This would be so awesome if it worked, but only humanoids and giants can become lycanthropes. But if you PAO'd it... :smalltongue:

Jergmo
2010-09-20, 12:39 AM
This would be so awesome if it worked, but only humanoids and giants can become lycanthropes. But if you PAO'd it... :smalltongue:

Details, details.

Rasman
2010-09-20, 06:36 AM
Deinonychus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#deinonychus) is my favorite at low levels.

that's a LOT of melee...I'm suddenly not worried about a lot of Goblins swarming me