PDA

View Full Version : ToB questions

Kaww
2010-09-19, 06:25 AM
My party started playing ToB characters and I need to adapt some NPCs to their new playing style. So I have a few questions:

If a swordsage takes a level of warblade can he now recover his maneuvers as a warblade does? I mean all maneuvers as a swift action, not one as a full round action.

Can he take maneuvers from disciplines that aren't on swordsage list when taking a sword sage level (like White raven)?

His initiator level is warblade + swordsage + 1/2 of any non ToB class?

Are there feats that allow use of new disciplines (again example is White raven and swordsage)?

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-19, 06:31 AM
My party started playing ToB characters and I need to adapt some NPCs to their new playing style. So I have a few questions:

If a swordsage takes a level of warblade can he now recover his maneuvers as a warblade does? I mean all maneuvers as a swift action, not one as a full round action.

Recovery mechanics and maneuvers readied are kept separate.

Can he take maneuvers from disciplines that aren't on swordsage list when taking a sword sage level (like White raven)?

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/halolz-dot-com-nope.avi.gif

Kinda. He has two separate ILs.

Warblade IL=Warblade levels+1/2 everything else.
Swordsage IL=Swordsage levels+1/2 everything else.

Are there feats that allow use of new disciplines (again example is White raven and swordsage)?

Martial Study/Stance is all there is.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-19, 06:32 AM

Warblade recover only works for the maneuvers learned by the warblade. Swordsages generally rely on Adaptive Style to recover all maneuvers as a full-round action.

No. They're not on the swordsage list, so the swordsage levels don't get it

No. Maneuvers learned by warblade only get the warblade level in its entirety (swordsage levels are halved for those maneuvers). Same for the maneuvers learned as a swordsage(warblade levels are halved). Sublime Prestige classes are an exception to that.

Are there feats that allow use of new disciplines (again example is White raven and swordsage)?To add new disciplines to the list? Not that I know. You can buy individual maneuvers/stances with feats.

Rauthiss
2010-09-19, 06:35 AM
The one thing that I have always found helpful in these situations is to think about ToB classes like spellcasters. That should help out with a lot of things. :)

As for your questions, in order:

1) No, he cannot. Just like a Wizard/Sorcerer cannot cast a wizard spell using a sorcerer slot, A swordsage must still use a full round action to recover his swordsage manuevers.

2) Again, no. A cleric/wizard cannot add divine spells to his spellbook when he gains a level.

3) No yet again. Your Initiator level for any ToB class is your levels in the class + 1/2 your other levels. A Warblade 6/Crusader 6 would have an IN of 9 for both classes. See page 39 of ToB.

4) I believe the only way to do this would be with the Martial Study feat (only for one manuever, though) or homebrew. Be cautious here - many of the stronger disciplines, such as Setting Sun or Shadow Hand, are balanced by only being available to the swordsage with their slow recovery mechanism.

If there's anything incorrect here, please feel free to correct me, O future posters.

EDIT: D-D-D-Double 'Nathed!

Kaww
2010-09-19, 07:59 AM
Warblade recover only works for the maneuvers learned by the warblade. Swordsages generally rely on Adaptive Style to recover all maneuvers as a full-round action.

Adaptive style recovers maneuvers? That is good to know. When one of my players asked me about it I ruled that it works like wizard spell slots - expended slot is expended... :smallredface:

@ Rauthiss I thought about them as casters, but I needed to make a double check...

Darrin
2010-09-19, 08:16 AM
Adaptive style recovers maneuvers? That is good to know. When one of my players asked me about it I ruled that it works like wizard spell slots - expended slot is expended... :smallredface:

Adaptive Style allows you to re-pick and re-ready all your maneuvers with a full-round action. Also, I believe if you have multiple martial adept base-classes (Swordsage + Warblade, for example), then you can re-ready all of your base classes at once. (Crusader is still a little wonky, I think... you get a full "hand" of readied maneuvers, but I think it's still random which ones are granted.)

Prime32
2010-09-19, 08:17 AM
Adaptive style recovers maneuvers? That is good to know. When one of my players asked me about it I ruled that it works like wizard spell slots - expended slot is expended... :smallredface:All classes have some way to recover maneuvers.

Ernir
2010-09-19, 08:26 AM

Yeah, except maneuvers don't occupy "maneuver slots". There are some who argue the contrary, but the prevailing opinion around these parts is that you can't change the ammo in an initiator's gun without reloading it. :smalltongue: