PDA

View Full Version : Places to go, people to see

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 01:42 PM
So, I've been working on a project at home for, like, over a year now... (See Antipole Trailer in sig if you're curious, though that was made a while ago. It's improved a lot since then.)

And I've been getting increasingly frustrated about rarely ever leaving the house.

I haven't the slightest clue where I'd start to look for something else to do though... Somewhere else to go...

I don't drink. I feel especially out of place in bars or churches (like I'm just not supposed to be there).

Most of my friends have moved. I play D&D with a group of friends every few weeks (always on a Sunday, so I'd prefer not to occupy my Sundays with this new activity, whatever it might be)...

I'd go snowboarding, but it's not snow season.

Anything remotely food related is out, as most food odors are problematic for me.

-----

After I wrote the above, I was about to click "Submit New Thread", but got a BSOD. Thought my compy might be trying to keep me here... XP Pro never blue screens... But FireFox remembered what I wrote and it was all there when I booted back up. :smallbiggrin:

-----

Basically, I'm just looking for ideas of either what to do, or where to look for what to do.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-09-19, 02:23 PM
Learn Go! There's bound to be a Go club in your area. It's a challenging but very fun game, easy to learn but much more complex to master. Of course you could go with checkers as more people play it in the West...but it wouldn't be as good! :smalltongue:

Strawberries
2010-09-19, 02:43 PM
Basically, do something that brings you out of the house and is related to your interest. Anything goes, really. Movie club, gym, dance lessons, a pottery course...whatever you wish!

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 03:01 PM
Learn Go! There's bound to be a Go club in your area. It's a challenging but very fun game, easy to learn but much more complex to master. Of course you could go with checkers as more people play it in the West...but it wouldn't be as good! :smalltongue:

I just looked it up. It's a bit more complex than I'd like... I don't really like to play any games where I have to plan out moves in advance to be decent. "Sorry" is more on my level. But thanks anyway.

Basically, do something that brings you out of the house and is related to your interest. Anything goes, really. Movie club, gym, dance lessons, a pottery course...whatever you wish!

My interests are video games (which is generally fairly solo and done at home), D&D (I play regularly with the only group I know of) and snowboarding (there's no snow). I am open to gaining more interests, but I don't know what I'd like, and it's not like there's a concrete list somewhere (which would make things WAY easier, as I could just look through the whole list and pick stuff). D&D & Snowboarding are more recent interests, where a friend just asked if I wanted to and I said "sure, I'll try it".

Castaras
2010-09-19, 04:18 PM
I just looked it up. It's a bit more complex than I'd like... I don't really like to play any games where I have to plan out moves in advance to be decent. "Sorry" is more on my level. But thanks anyway.

My interests are video games (which is generally fairly solo and done at home), D&D (I play regularly with the only group I know of) and snowboarding (there's no snow). I am open to gaining more interests, but I don't know what I'd like, and it's not like there's a concrete list somewhere (which would make things WAY easier, as I could just look through the whole list and pick stuff). D&D & Snowboarding are more recent interests, where a friend just asked if I wanted to and I said "sure, I'll try it".

Ice Skating?
Hockey?
Skateboarding?
Rollerblading?

Strawberries
2010-09-19, 04:26 PM
I am open to gaining more interests, but I don't know what I'd like, and it's not like there's a concrete list somewhere (which would make things WAY easier, as I could just look through the whole list and pick stuff).

We can't tell you what you'd like. Only way is for you to determine it yourself through a process of trial-and error.

To narrow it down somehow, try to see what is readily avaiable in the place where you live (for instance, I know I'd love to learn German, but the nearest school where I could go is 150 km away...yeah, no. Not with my current job). Then pick among those one that you think has some chance to interest you. Try it out for a while. If it doesn't click, rinse and repeat. :smalltongue:

Rae Artemi
2010-09-19, 04:32 PM
Ice Skating?
Hockey?
Skateboarding?
Rollerblading?

Tennis?
Frisbee?
Jogging?
Golf?

(for instance, I know I'd love to learn German, but the nearest school where I could go is 150 km away...yeah, no. Not with my current job)

Try This (http://www.livemocha.com) Web site, it's like Rosetta Stone, but free.

Strawberries
2010-09-19, 04:38 PM
Try This (http://www.livemocha.com) Web site, it's like Rosetta Stone, but free.

Ohh, I'll give it a try. Thank you! :smallsmile:

Rae Artemi
2010-09-19, 04:43 PM
Ohh, I'll give it a try. Thank you! :smallsmile:

No problem, my German teacher pointed me in it's direction, and I'm gonna use it next summer to keep my skills sharp.

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 05:35 PM
...try to see what is readily avaiable in the place where you live...

I would do this... If I had any idea how. Perhaps that's my actual question...

Rae Artemi
2010-09-19, 05:39 PM
I would do this... If I had any idea how. Perhaps that's my actual question...

Maybe you could take up bowling? Pretty much every town has a bowling alley.

xPANCAKEx
2010-09-19, 05:50 PM
food odours? well thats nothing i can really give you advice on unless its psychosomatic... in which case see a hypnotherapist and be done with it

as for bars - you'll just have to get over it. Just because you dont drink doesnt mean you can go with friends and enjoy their company

things to do:
join a sports club
go to the library and read
go on walks
take up a sport (be it jogging or something else)

just get out and get active

Kiren
2010-09-19, 06:02 PM
Play Paintball or Airsoft, my personal favorite is Paintball, but airsoft is generally cheaper to play. When I get a good airsoft gun, ill play both more.

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 07:12 PM
Some of these suggestions certainly look like things to look into. I certainly don't mind more suggestions though if people have them.

food odours? well thats nothing i can really give you advice on unless its psychosomatic... in which case see a hypnotherapist and be done with it

This is a combination of many things, physical and mental. It is now a deeply rooted issue that's impossible to remove.

Basically, my senses are all stronger than average. My sense of smell is particularly sensitive. Some of my others have limitations... For example, I cringe when a metal spoon is used on a metal pot, and I can't touch certain types of cloth, like velvet, but the non-smell issues are few and easy to avoid.

The main smell issue is that the reaction my body is supposed to have for exceedingly strong smells, such as a man covered in feces stepping onto the subway, happens at a much lower threshold, such as being in the parking lot of Taco Bell. My throat will close. I won't be able to think straight. I will have to leave. Also, spicy food will burn my throat from across a room.

Smells are not avoidable. As such, the issue has been compounded by fears and intolerance of the issue. The mental half of the issue that developed over the past 27 years in reaction to the physical half. When I see someone pull out a paper bag or Tupperware or something, I get a wave of fear... What am I about to be forced to smell? Am I going to have to figure out how to leave right this second? And, of course, there's a buffer of things that are not strong enough to set off this issue by smell normally, but would create a problem if they were actually in my mouth. I will not tolerate these in a place that I live at all, even if it's someone else eating them. It also makes me look like a germaphobe sometimes, as the intolerant part of this has me avoiding physical contact with anything that may have contained food that I have a problem with the smell of.

So there's certainly a mental part of it, but the core is physical. I've shaved away at the outside of it before, but gave up because it just grows back. If the core can ever be affected, I'll look into solving the issue. For now, I'm leaving it alone.

Dietarily is where it's become the biggest issue. My diet consists of:
Cheese ravioli in Italian sauce - Every 2 days
Rotini with mozzarella in Italian sauce + garlic bread - Every 2 days
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - Daily
Peanut Butter and Jelly on white bread - Daily
Plain pizza - Occasional replacement
McDonald's Double-Cheeseburger (only ketchup) + Med fries - Occasional replacement
1% Milk - 1/2 gallon per day
Root Beer - 2 liters per 2-3 days
Centrum multivitamin - Daily
Occasional dessert-type items. Mostly chocolaty.

It would be ideal if I could just eat via injection, and not have to bother with cooking or eating. So annoying AND such a waste of time. I hate needles, and they're one of my biggest fears, but food's bigger.

The core issue, the physical part, I will only get rid of it there's a way to do it without giving up the benefits of all my other senses being heightened. The heightening is likely due to a very mild Autism. (Most can't tell, and the few who have, who work with Asperger's or Autism in general, have told me that I'm the most "functional" Asperger's person they've ever met. Asperger's is a very mild Autism.)

I should've bought that Zicam just as it was being recalled when I had the chance... (It was being recalled for damaging people's sense of smell.)Also: I have no health benefits right now.

RebelRogue
2010-09-19, 08:20 PM
I'll readily admit that I don't have the healthiest of eating habits, but glancing over your diet, I wonder if you eat any vegetables at all. Are those a problem for you too?

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 08:24 PM
I'll readily admit that I don't have the healthiest of eating habits, but glancing over your diet, I wonder if you eat any vegetables at all. Are those a problem for you too?

There's tomato in the sauce... but yeah, the list has a lack of Vegetables, Meats and Fruits. Grape Jelly, Tomato Sauce and McDonald's burgers barely count. There's a rare exception. I didn't mention that, if I go snowboarding, I'll eat an apple. Maybe once a year, there's a meal with peas on the side... Some things are just too rare an occurrence to have any mention.

I would jump on the chance to fix this if it existed. Sadly, it does not.

xPANCAKEx
2010-09-19, 08:25 PM
you really need to seek medical and psychiatric help - and this isn't a flippant comment

RabbitHoleLost
2010-09-19, 08:27 PM
xPANCAKEx- tells it like it is.

Seriously.

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 08:28 PM
you really need to seek medical and psychiatric help - and this isn't a flippant comment

Doctors can't do anything about the physical core of the issue. If they could, I'd get that fixed, and then unravel the mental shell around it. Doing the latter first would help nothing, as it would build itself back up as long as the core is there. I know this from when I've had partial successes against it.

Thanks for your concern though.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-09-19, 08:31 PM
No.
I can't believe there isn't a single thing a doctor can do for you. This cannot be that unique a problem, and its severely interacting with your ability to function, I think.

Food is a major part of socializing. Its cultural- even my best friend, who only eats chicken and peanut butter and cheese and a few other things because he just doesn't like the way food tastes, knows this. He goes out to eat with his family, and when I visit, he goes out to eat with me. And if where I want to eat doesn't have what he wants, he'll eat otherwise and sit and talk with me while I eat.
If you ever plan to date or have an active group of friends to do things with, eating is a core part of that.

xPANCAKEx
2010-09-19, 08:35 PM
Doctors can't do anything about the physical core of the issue. If they could, I'd get that fixed, and then unravel the mental shell around it. Doing the latter first would help nothing, as it would build itself back up as long as the core is there. I know this from when I've had partial successes against it.

Thanks for your concern though.

thats defeatist. Doctors will be able to perscribe medication to help minimise the effects and the shrinks will help unravel the stuff that only seems to be making the physical symptoms worse

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 08:35 PM
No.
I can't believe there isn't a single thing a doctor can do for you. This cannot be that unique a problem, and its severely interacting with your ability to function, I think.

Food is a major part of socializing. Its cultural- even my best friend, who only eats chicken and peanut butter and cheese and a few other things because he just doesn't like the way food tastes, knows this. He goes out to eat with his family, and when I visit, he goes out to eat with me. And if where I want to eat doesn't have what he wants, he'll eat otherwise and sit and talk with me while I eat.
If you ever plan to date or have an active group of friends to do things with, eating is a core part of that.

An eye, ear, nose & throat doctor's response was basically "looks fine to me". This is because it's most likely to do with the nerves behind it, not the region itself. Every time over the years that I've gotten a potential lead, I've seen the appropriate person to look into it. With the exception of purchasing Zicam when it was recalled...

It's not unique, but there is nothing that can be done yet. Most people with heightened senses like mine have a different problem sense. My aunt can't touch most fabrics without being in physical pain right afterward for, like, 5 minutes, for example. Mine's smell. One of my cousins, has all the same exact issues for the same exact reasons. Slightly different, but similar diet... He think he leans a little more salty, while I lean a little more sweet...

thats defeatist. Doctors will be able to perscribe medication to help minimise the effects and the shrinks will help unravel the stuff that only seems to be making the physical symptoms worse

It's not defeatist... Because I still look into whatever I can. If you've got a more specific suggestion that I haven't tried already, I'll take it. Doctors have not yet been able to do anything. Granted, several have not taken me seriously, and I've been very bad at explaining the issue in the past... But I still continue looking for a solution. As for the psychological half, I have it completely identified and ready to work on removing as soon as there's no physical core for it to grapple onto. This may or may not require some therapy.

RebelRogue
2010-09-19, 09:25 PM
Sounds like hypersensitivity to me. Me wife has some of that too (not so much taste), and might have some material on it, but she's asleep now, so it'll have to wait.

But still, there seems to be a psychological level here too. I must say I agree that professional help would be a good idea. I know it's not always what you may want to do. Heck, I felt horrible for close to a decade but never sought out help. I'm still not really sure what was wrong, but at least I was lucky and got better - you can't count on that, and in any case, you'll feel sorry for the wasted time later, I guarantee you!

Edit: Oh, you have done that already? Sorry for the rant, then...

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 09:30 PM
Sounds like hypersensitivity to me. Me wife has some of that too (not so much taste), and might have some material on it, but she's asleep now, so it'll have to wait.

But still, there seems to be a psychological level here too. I must say I agree that professional help would be a good idea. I know it's not always what you may want to do. Heck, I felt horrible for close to a decade but never sought out help. I'm still not really sure what was wrong, but at least I was lucky and got better - you can't count on that, and in any case, you'll feel sorry for the wasted time later, I guarantee you!

Edit: Oh, you have done that already? Sorry for the rant, then...

I just looked up hypersensitivity, and on Wikipedia it seems to range from a simple allergy to a full auto-immune disorder. I will look further into this when I get the chance to. Thanks.

Anything further on the side-topic of problems with odors should probably be taken to PMs or split into it's own topic, unless you've got an on-topic suggestion that would also help combat the issue.