PDA

View Full Version : New Grapple Feats

Scow2
2010-09-20, 03:38 PM
Everyone hates D&D's grapple rules. It's not that they are really convoluted (Just require a bunch of opposed roles), but the problem is it's lame. Most grapple builds I see seem to be built around sitting on your opponent until it cries uncle. So, new feats to make Grappling cool enough to justify the headache of using the rules.

Toss Foe [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, STR 17, BAB +8
Benefit: As "Fling Enemy" (Races of Stone, p. 140), except you suffer a -4 penalty to the check to toss enemies weighing a heavy load.
Special:If you have Dungeoncrasher, you deal that damage if you throw the foe into a structure, or half to both if you toss him into an enemy.
Other: Restricting the ability to throw hapless foes you outclass in grappling to Large or larger-sized creatures regardless of strength is stupidly arbitrary, and in violation of common real-life precedent (Dwarf tossing, anyone?).

Aggressive Grappler[Tactical]
Prerequesits: BAB+6, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Unarmed Strike OR Clever Wrestler OR Improved Grapple
Benefit: This feat allows you to make the following tactical maneuvers:
Fast grab: You may attempt to initiate a Grapple as a Move Action instead of a Standard Action.If you have the Improved Grapple feat, this does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity
Flying Tackle: When you make a Bull Rush against a foe as part of a Charge, you may also initiate a Grapple after pushing. If you have the Improved Grapple feat, this does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity
Concussive Tackle: You may initiate a Grapple as part of a charge. If the check succeeds, you deal damage as though you made a successful grapple attack as well.

Mobile Brawler[General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, Clever Wrestling, STR 15
Benefit: As long as you are the only person grappling your foe(s), you may move the grapple at half your speed as a move action, without having to make an opposed grapple check. You also retain DEX to AC to outside attacks while Grappling.

Mulletmanalive
2010-09-20, 03:45 PM
Wait, you can't start a grapple at the end of a charge? Glad i've been ignoring that for years...

The first one is...ok i suppose, the second has some nice abilities, though my comment about the last one stands and the third, well, i wouldn't bother using it. I'd suggest replacing that last one on the second feat with it after limiting it to a single foe.

Scow2
2010-09-20, 05:00 PM
Wait, you can't start a grapple at the end of a charge? Glad i've been ignoring that for years...

The first one is...ok i suppose, the second has some nice abilities, though my comment about the last one stands and the third, well, i wouldn't bother using it. I'd suggest replacing that last one on the second feat with it after limiting it to a single foe.

I don't know if you can't start a grapple at the end of a charge, but I know you can't deal damage if you do without the tactical feat. The feat essentially cuts out having to wait a turn before dishing out the hurt.

The entire point of these feats are to make it so you can move around the battlefield tossing your enemies around like ragdolls.

Boosting the Mobile Grappling feat by making it so you retain your Dex to AC as long as you are the one on top of the Grapple.