PDA

View Full Version : A couple RPG-inspired spells [3.5, Spells]

strawberryman
2010-09-20, 07:14 PM
I don't normally do spells, but...

Indignation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5pwRnMWBVs)
Evocation [electricity]
Level: Clr 9, Drd 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Multiple 30-ft.-long vertical lines of lightning
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You call out to your deity in rage, inciting divine fury upon your foes in the form of dozens of destructive lightning bolts.

Immediately upon completion of the spell, you call down a number of 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolts of lightning; creatures take 2d10 damage for every bolt that hits them, half of which is electricity damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to electricity-based attacks. The number of lightning bolts you may call is equal to your caster level (maximum 20).

You may target as many bolts at one square as you wish. Creatures caught in the area of lightning bolts are subject to a reflex save for half damage, however, as each bolt hits simultaneously, they only make one save for damage; multiple bolts aimed in their square inflict a -1 penalty on their reflex save, to a maximum of -10.

Ghastly Wail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIuB1okXLjM#t=01m45s)
Necromancy [Death, Fear, Sonic]
Level: Death 6 (alt), Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One living creature/level within a 40-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You let out a terrible scream, not unlike the Wail of the Banshee (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wailOfTheBanshee.htm) spell, but only affecting creatures who have been frightened by another spell, or ability. Creatures who hear this spell (except you) who are shaken must make a Will save or die instantly. Creatures who are frightened must also save, but take a -4 penalty, and creatures who are panicked take a -8 penalty. Creatures closest to the point of origin are affected first, and creatures who are not under the effects of a fear effect are unaffected.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-20, 07:30 PM
The first one.

Does more damage than Disintegrate when piled onto a single target with cumilative penalties to saving throw. I'd say it's a level 8 spell. I can think of four cleric spells that are level 9 that are WAY better than this.

The second one.

Extremely situational, but in the situations where it is actually usable, it can be useful.

strawberryman
2010-09-20, 09:36 PM
The first one.

Does more damage than Disintegrate when piled onto a single target with cumilative penalties to saving throw. I'd say it's a level 8 spell. I can think of four cleric spells that are level 9 that are WAY better than this.

I don't really buy that, and I'm fully aware of how blasting is viewed among optimizers. :smalltongue: The recommended number of die for a 9th-level Divine damage-dealing spell per the DMG is 25. I'm fully aware not all spells are equal to another, but I feel that the existence of stronger spells (assuming they are damage dealing) doesn't invalidate the existence of another as an equal-level spell.

What are said spells anyway? I don't really play clerics often. :smalltongue:

The second one.

Extremely situational, but in the situations where it is actually usable, it can be useful.

That is the point, after all. :smallwink:

Knaight
2010-09-20, 09:39 PM
Both are fine, the first one is actually reasonably effective due to its capabilities to split damage, even if damage itself isn't particularly useful. As for the second one, it has some nice potential as part of a combination.

MoleMage
2010-09-20, 09:54 PM
"I call upon thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy fury of thunder. INDIGNATION!"

I like the way these are set up.

Fizban
2010-09-21, 01:23 AM
Also digging Indignation, but it might as well be a wiz/sor spell too. Unless we're thinking of different games, I've never seen it in the hands of the healer.

strawberryman
2010-09-21, 01:31 AM
That's mostly a flavor decision on my choice. Indignation sounds like a Cleric/Druid spell, if you ask me. :smalltongue:

And what says that Clr/Drd are always healers? They get some awesome offensive spells, too.

Fizban
2010-09-21, 06:41 AM
Well, in one I've played it's a secret ultimate spell that you need to break the boss's defenses, and in the other it's just the generic top level lightning spell (with clearly higher damage than the other elements). I can never hear the invocations over all the things getting killed, so I don't know if it's always a prayer. Magic's a lot more generic in those settings, so it doesn't really need a distinction.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-21, 03:54 PM
What are said spells anyway? I don't really play clerics often. :smalltongue:

Gate (Wanna go on an all-expenses-paid trip to the Negative Energy Plane? Whup! Too bad! Also your SR and ridiculous saves won't help you here.)

Implosion (Self-explanatory. Possibly one of the most badass cleric spells ever)

Storm of Vengeance (The best and most flavorful crowd control spell evar! )

Miracle (It's Miracle...seriously...)

Really, I just think that although it's got some versatility, it's weak as a level 9 spell.

bloodtide
2010-09-21, 04:09 PM
Indignation is just another damage spell, it looks fine, but there are plenty of damage spells around.

I like Ghastly Wail a lot. I nice 'two step' spell. The average Necromancer, evil cleric or just bad guy has a lot of low level spells that do fear type effects. It's nice to have a spell to pair with them in a nice, deadly combo. I wonder if we could make some more combo spells like this......

DracoDei
2010-09-21, 04:37 PM
Gate (Wanna go on an all-expenses-paid trip to the Negative Energy Plane? Whup! Too bad! Also your SR and ridiculous saves won't help you here.)
So... how often IS Dimensional Anchor used as a defensive buff in your games?

Storm of Vengeance (The best and most flavorful crowd control spell evar! )
To me, the long casting+concentration time to get to the meat of it (but with a HUGE area and three different damage types plus two other types of effects) take it past "crowd control" into a noticeably different classification.

Prime32
2010-09-22, 06:14 PM
To me, the long casting+concentration time to get to the meat of it (but with a HUGE area and three different damage types plus two other types of effects) take it past "crowd control" into a noticeably different classification.How do you think meteor swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meteorSwarm.htm) would stand up if it had a similar duration, letting you fire meteors each round?

I've made a few attempts at 9th-level blasting spells - Dragon Slave, Starlight Breaker...

Epsilon Rose
2010-09-22, 11:46 PM
I've made a few attempts at 9th-level blasting spells - Dragon Slave, Starlight Breaker...

Ooh, I'd love to see a starlight breaker done well. Though how would you account for the fact that it's supposed to draw power from the residue of the magic that's already been used in the area?

Also think it would be worth trying to put together a bloody pain, violent howling, or gold cat? Also maybe some feats to give you some of the bonuses that these casters get (or open some appropriate "spell" to non-casters)?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 12:49 AM
How do you think meteor swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meteorSwarm.htm) would stand up if it had a similar duration, letting you fire meteors each round?

you should look it up in the slayers d20 book, 2d6/caster level 100ft radius spread with no cap on the damage dice and fort save for half... but casting is treated in a different (and relatively interesting) way similar to true namer minus broken bits and nonlethal/lethal damage on the caster instead of spell slots. A badly botched save on the caster's part potentially could hit them with their own spell. Ragna blade is d10/caster level damage and 2d4 negative levels plus some other minor stuff with no save. Gigaslave is essentially rocks fall, everything in that 100ft unless the DM decides it should be larger spot all dies no save. The majority of the other spells have saves and classes+feats are tweaked enough to not make the escalated magic so horrific :).

strawberryman
2010-09-23, 01:00 AM
How do you think meteor swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/meteorSwarm.htm) would stand up if it had a similar duration, letting you fire meteors each round?

Meteor Swarm is lame.

Take Cometfall from Complete Divine. 6th level Cleric/Druid spell. Summons a comet that drops and essentially deals 1d6/level without a cap in a 10' area aside from the fact that it's summoned at either 5'xcaster level above the ground or at the ceiling. It also trips creatures who fail, and leaves dense rubble behind even if they don't. Oh, yeah, no SR, either.

Make a 9th-level spell that summons multiples of those or once every round. Or increase the area. Or any myriad things. :smalltongue:

In fact...

Meteo
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Effect: Multiple 400-pound balls of rock and ice
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No

Upon completion of the spell, you conjure 1d4 comets plus one for every five caster levels you possess, as cometfall. Creatures must make reflex saves for every comet that hits their area.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 01:24 AM
Meteor Swarm is lame.

Take Cometfall from Complete Divine. 6th level Cleric/Druid spell. Summons a comet that drops and essentially deals 1d6/level without a cap in a 10' area aside from the fact that it's summoned at either 5'xcaster level above the ground or at the ceiling. It also trips creatures who fail, and leaves dense rubble behind even if they don't.

Make a 9th-level spell that summons multiples of those or once every round. Or increase the area. Or any myriad things. :smalltongue:

Thunder and lightning from the storm elemental (summonable with summon monster/nature's ally spells) in MM3 beats that and has an elemental around to keep doing the hulk smash thing after ;). The greater storm elemental pulled out with summon monster IX & Nature's ally VIII does the following 1/minute:
12d6 sonic damage to all within 60ft, fort save for half (dc28)
24d6 electricity damage in a 120ft line (so hits everything in that line) with reflex for half
remaining rounds on the summon can be 2 slam attacks with +24 to hit :p doing 3d6+11 plus 2d6 damage each
All rounds including the first, it can deal 12d4 nonlethal electrical damage as a free action to an opponent within 10ft with dc28 reflex for half :)

Fizban
2010-09-23, 02:21 AM
[cometfall]
Unfortunately, Spell Compendium updated it. Now it has a 15 die cap and requires at least 40' of height to cast. On the upside, you don't have to roll to knockdown anymore.

Prime32
2010-09-23, 05:02 AM
Ooh, I'd love to see a starlight breaker done well. Though how would you account for the fact that it's supposed to draw power from the residue of the magic that's already been used in the area?

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4508/divinebuster3.jpg
Divine Buster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cU-UNOw1FY)
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Warmage 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Reflex half

This spell deals 1d6 points of force damage per caster level in a 120ft line. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the beam may continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s range permits; otherwise, it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1914/starlightbreaker.jpg
Starlight Breaker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_g7QlaMYA)
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Warmage 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round; see text
Range: 360 ft.
Area: 360-ft. line-shaped emanation
Duration: 1 round

Gathering in the residual magic in the area, you release a devastating stream of energy.

As divine buster, except as above. The caster level of this spell is increased by +1 for every spell cast in the last minute, and by an additional +1 for every level of the highest-level spell thus cast (you become aware of the exact caster level increase when you begin casting the spell). If you wish, you may increase the spell's caster level by an additional +2 by increasing the casting time to 2 rounds.

Any barrier made of force in the path of this spell is automatically destroyed. Anything else in its path is affected by greater dispel magic using the increased caster level (no cap) before damage is calculated.And here's some old Slayers stuff:

http://www.animetion.co.uk/Reviews/anime/slayers1p2.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIS2b7EOpB4&fmt=18)
{table="head"]{colsp=2}Dragon Slave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIS2b7EOpB4&fmt=18)
{colsp=2}Evocation
Level: |Warmage 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: |V, S
Casting Time: |1 full-round action
Range: |Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: |Four spreads; see text
Duration: |Instantaneous
Saving throw: |Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: |Yes
[/table]
Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the flow of time, in thy great name, I pledge myself to darkness
Let all the fools who stand in our way be destroyed by the power you and I possess: DRAGON SLAVE!

The caster fires an orb of red light from their hand which blossoms into a devastating explosion. This spell creates four separate spreads which center on the same point, each dealing 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels. These spreads have radii of 20ft, 40ft, 60ft and 80ft respectively. Affected creatures must make saving throws against each spread separately. This spell deals full damage to objects.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/kanzaka/images/3/3e/Linaragna.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jZXD5WEDc)
{table="head"]{colsp=2}Ragna Blade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jZXD5WEDc)
{colsp=2}Evocation
Level: |Warmage 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: |V, S
Casting Time: |1 move action; see text
Range: |Touch; see text
Duration: |1 round
Saving throw: |None
Spell Resistance: |No
[/table]
Lord of the Dreams that Terrify,
Sword of Cold and Darkness, free yourself from the heaven's bonds,
Become one with my power, one with my body
And let us walk the path of destruction together!
Power that can smash even the souls of gods: RAGNA BLADE!

This spell calls forth an enormous blade of pure darkness that lasts until the end of the round. This blade can be used to make melee touch attacks which deal 5d6 points of damage, +2 per caster level - these attacks are made at a -4 penalty due to the shifting and unstable nature of the blade. Any successful hit is treated as a coup de grace, and ignores hardness and damage reduction, as well as any effect which absorbs damage (such as the Divine Shield salient divine ability). Damage dealt by this spell cannot be recovered by regeneration or fast healing. An attack from this blade can even destroy a wall of force or similar effect (dispelling it automatically).

The blade can be used to attack targets on coterminous planes (eg. the Ethereal Plane and Plane of Shadow, if the wielder is on the Material Plane). Alternatively, as a standard action the wielder may cut a rift into a coterminous plane (similar to a gate spell) which lasts for 1 minute.

If a creature is slain by this spell, its body is rent apart and even its soul is damaged - There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a victim to life. (Check once for each destroyed creature). If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic, or by deities with a divine rank of 20 or less.

Tapping such fell energies is draining, however - casting this spell deals 1 point of non-lethal damage to the caster per caster level. If you have cast this spell on the previous round, its casting time is reduced to 1 swift action.

I don't think there's much point to statting Giga Slave, since its effect is basically "Summon DM".

As for meteor swarm, I found it to be the closest equivalent to Hraesvelgr when I was statting the cast of Nanoha. Energy Substituted to cold of course. That may have influenced my suggestion.

T.G. Oskar
2010-09-23, 05:08 AM
Meteor Swarm is lame.

Take Cometfall from Complete Divine. 6th level Cleric/Druid spell. Summons a comet that drops and essentially deals 1d6/level without a cap in a 10' area aside from the fact that it's summoned at either 5'xcaster level above the ground or at the ceiling. It also trips creatures who fail, and leaves dense rubble behind even if they don't. Oh, yeah, no SR, either.

In fact...

Meteo
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Effect: Multiple 400-pound balls of rock and ice

You conjure 2d4 comets plus one for every five caster levels you possess, as cometfall. Each comet also trips enemies who fail their saves with a +15 modifier.

Are...you sure Meteo (or Meteor) should belong to the 9th level spell list and not the Epic Spell List, such as Holy, Gigaflare and Ultima? Disregarding FFVII's Black Materia, Meteo was meant to be the ultimate spell in FFIV's world, and so dangerous that it could mean the death of its caster (thus, Tellah perishes after using it); then again, it can be combined to create Double Meteor which is hideously more powerful.

Though...in Meteo's case, it can be either hideously powerful or pointless, depending on the game.

strawberryman
2010-09-23, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately, Spell Compendium updated it. Now it has a 15 die cap and requires at least 40' of height to cast. On the upside, you don't have to roll to knockdown anymore.

Aw, oh well. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-09-24, 12:04 PM
Have you considered rewriting Indignation so that targets "take 2d10 damage per bolt that strikes them" rather than "each bolt deals 2d10 damage"? Right now electricity resistance is disproportionately effective.

strawberryman
2010-09-24, 01:21 PM
Have you considered rewriting Indignation so that targets "take 2d10 damage per bolt that strikes them" rather than "each bolt deals 2d10 damage"? Right now electricity resistance is disproportionately effective.

Hm, good point. *fixes*