PDA

View Full Version : Water

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 11:01 PM
I'm making a Dread Necromancer Walker in the Wastes, using the Arcane Disciple feat to bridge the gap between the two classes. The only think I'm really worried about is getting rained on and having to deal with water (walkers in the waste are affected by normal water as if it were holy water). That said, is there a good way to basically not get wet when you can't sidetrack the sources of water yourself (I.E. having it rain on you or getting a glass of water thrown to your face)?

aka: what magic items can keep all water away from me and make me fully water proof?

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-20, 11:25 PM
Would a ring of deflection work?

I've had characters use Ring of Force shield as an umbrella...

Or, if you want to slide a bit out of the way...

I don't have the link at the minute, but Magical Hydrophobia, IIRC has an option where instead of gaining a feat, you gain the ability to repel water.

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 11:38 PM
Hm. Either or would work. The hydrophobia would be interesting to RP into the character, I'd just like to know where it is.

Jergmo
2010-09-20, 11:40 PM
Carry a parasol!

Xefas
2010-09-20, 11:43 PM
Carry a parasol!

A spoooooky parasol. With a wand built into it.

Jergmo
2010-09-20, 11:57 PM
A spoooooky parasol. With a wand built into it.

YES! You need at least half a dozen parasols, all with a unique variety of wand built in. Also, a black suit.

Fiery Diamond
2010-09-21, 12:03 AM
What about an umbrella with a wand inside which is snapped in half?

Please don't hurt me.:smalltongue:

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 12:20 AM
That would be interesting... especially since my concept of a Walker in the Wastes is like an Egyptian mummy. Oh yeah, mummy with a parasol, whatcha gonna do?

golentan
2010-09-21, 12:34 AM
The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that the water doesn't disappear when it fails to hit you, but forms an ongoing environmental hazard with the ground, and seeping into your shoes, and splashing and all that. My recommendation is basically a rubber body suit if you can get one, backed by enchantments as necessary.

Xefas
2010-09-21, 12:35 AM
YES! You need at least half a dozen parasols, all with a unique variety of wand built in. Also, a black suit.

That would be interesting... especially since my concept of a Walker in the Wastes is like an Egyptian mummy. Oh yeah, mummy with a parasol, whatcha gonna do?

Yes. Do it.

Have all your wand-parasols in varying styles of black on black, and then, have a perfectly normal one that you use on holidays (ancient holidays that no one has celebrated for thousands of years, of which you give hilarious names and purposes, and that seem to crop up every time there's downtime of any kind) that is bright pink with white lace frills. Profess that this was the color of celebration back in your day.

Become extremely offended if someone mocks your pink parasol.

EDIT: Visual aids:

http://www.doncapone.org/modelkits/images/The-Mummy-2.jpg
http://www.laceparasol.com/lace%20parasol%20hot%20pink%20color.jpg
Yes, can you see it? Can you see it?!

Jergmo
2010-09-21, 12:38 AM
The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that the water doesn't disappear when it fails to hit you, but forms an ongoing environmental hazard with the ground, and seeping into your shoes, and splashing and all that. My recommendation is basically a rubber body suit if you can get one, backed by enchantments as necessary.

Egyptian Mummy with a parasol and galoshes.

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 12:39 AM
Yes. Do it.

Have all your wand-parasols in varying styles of black on black, and then, have a perfectly normal one that you use on holidays (ancient holidays that no one has celebrated for thousands of years, of which you give hilarious names and purposes, and that seem to crop up every time there's downtime of any kind) that is bright pink with white lace frills. Profess that this was the color of celebration back in your day.

That... sounds hilarious.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-21, 12:43 AM
Yes. Do it.

For some reason, aside the HP reference, my first thought wasn't the mummy, but The Penguin from Batman.
Can you get a desert adapted penguin, or just undead penquins?

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 12:45 AM
With top hats, monocles and suit coats?? HELLZ YES!!!

Xefas
2010-09-21, 12:53 AM
For some reason, aside the HP reference, my first thought wasn't the mummy, but The Penguin from Batman.
Can you get a desert adapted penguin, or just undead penquins?

I don't see why you couldn't have some Spellstitched Penguin Ghouls or something. Wrap them in bandages for added aesthetic appeal.

Rest assured that, were some poor fool to trudge to the top of a sand dune and be met with the sight of a Lich-Mummy wielding a pink parasol, in his galoshes and black three-piece suit, followed shortly after by a mob of mummy-penguins adorably waddling through the sand, there's a good chance they'll just give up. There's not much point in fighting it by then.

Obviously the penguins interest you, because you're from a desert, and they're also from a desert - just an issue of hot/cold. And they're just cute as buttons, aren't they? Don't waste an opportunity to point this out as you meticulously and maternally secure their wrappings (and bow ties, and monocles, etc, of course) every morning.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-21, 12:54 AM
The Shape Soulmeld feat can give a character the ability to walk on water. That will help against areas that are flooded.

Finding some sort of item that repels water at least for a few centimeters shouldn't be too hard.

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 12:57 AM
I don't see why you couldn't have some Spellstitched Penguin Ghouls or something. Wrap them in bandages for added aesthetic appeal.

Rest assured that, were some poor fool to trudge to the top of a sand dune and be met with the sight of a Lich-Mummy wielding a pink parasol, in his galoshes and black three-piece suit, followed shortly after by a mob of mummy-penguins adorably waddling through the sand, there's a good chance they'll just give up. There's not much point in fighting it by then.

Obviously the penguins interest you, because you're from a desert, and they're also from a desert - just an issue of hot/cold. And they're just cute as buttons, aren't they? Don't waste an opportunity to point this out as you meticulously and maternally secure their wrappings (and bow ties, and monocles, etc, of course) every morning.

Now I'm gonna make her a CN girly little mummy lich with a personal army of penguils wielding parasols, herself carrying the frilly one around. Sorry, but she's gonna look like an Egyptian Mummyesque sort of Lich Queen, not an English(woman?)man.

Xefas
2010-09-21, 01:02 AM
Now I'm gonna make her a CN girly little mummy lich with a personal army of penguils wielding parasols, herself carrying the frilly one around. Sorry, but she's gonna look like an Egyptian Mummyesque sort of Lich Queen, not an English(woman?)man.

I guess that's fine, too. As an extra bonus, I now have a perfect NPC character for a future game session.

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 01:19 AM
Oh haha XD I'm gonna be playing this one, its too funny not to do.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-21, 01:49 AM
Found it.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Magical_Hydrophobia_(3.5e_Flaw)

hamishspence
2010-09-21, 03:54 AM
The hydration suit from Sandstorm is designed to keep water in- but might count as being able to keep water out as well.

dsmiles
2010-09-21, 04:16 AM

Epic win! (Obligatory filler text.)

Killer Angel
2010-09-21, 04:23 AM

http://www.laceparasol.com/lace%20parasol%20hot%20pink%20color.jpg

...and you can also add some Hello Kitty Vampires on it. :smalltongue:

Ra-Thoth
2010-09-21, 04:38 AM
Speaking of umbrellas ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mqYDZN5yQ

Psyx
2010-09-21, 05:24 AM
Can't you memorise Tenser's Floating Disk backwards, to have it upside down. Then tell it to hover over you...

Moogleking
2010-09-21, 05:49 AM
The hydration suit from Sandstorm is designed to keep water in- but might count as being able to keep water out as well.

Wear it inside out :smalltongue:

Rezby
2010-09-21, 06:09 AM
Found it.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Magical_Hydrophobia_(3.5e_Flaw)

This is basically the best thing ever.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-21, 07:03 AM

http://round1ko.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rachel-full.jpg

That is all.

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 05:41 PM
http://round1ko.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rachel-full.jpg

That is all.

I admit defeat. THAT (more than likely) is my new character concept.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-21, 05:46 PM

Step 1: Then attach a drill.
Step 2: Speak only in grunts.
Step 3: Find a little girl
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Xefas
2010-09-21, 05:51 PM
...and you can also add some Hello Kitty Vampires on it. :smalltongue:

Something like this? (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Z1YLvhHuEpdukM:http://www.hellokittyzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/hello-kitty-vampire-tattoo.jpg&t=1)

Although, obviously not a tattoo - you'd want it on the parasol itself. (As an aside, who would get a Hello Kitty Vampire tattooed permanently on their body? :smalleek:)

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 07:42 PM
Now that I think of it... little vampire girls with parasols is reminding me of Rip Van Winkle from Hellsing.

TimeWizard
2010-09-21, 08:33 PM
... or just undead penquins?

Thanks for that image. Now I'll have something new to nightmare about.

$#&$

herrhauptmann
2010-09-21, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that image. Now I'll have something new to nightmare about.

$#&$

Happy to help. Anything else I can do to terrify you? A link to the gothapotomus (http://30.media.tumblr.com/7wwNYJv0Zev0wm1prQe9Twwyo1_500.jpg) perhaps?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-09-21, 09:03 PM
I'm making a Dread Necromancer Walker in the Wastes, using the Arcane Disciple feat to bridge the gap between the two classes. The only think I'm really worried about is getting rained on and having to deal with water (walkers in the waste are affected by normal water as if it were holy water). That said, is there a good way to basically not get wet when you can't sidetrack the sources of water yourself (I.E. having it rain on you or getting a glass of water thrown to your face)?

aka: what magic items can keep all water away from me and make me fully water proof?

A sedan_chair carried by two zombie ogres or some sort.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_chair

TechnOkami
2010-09-21, 11:31 PM
A sedan_chair carried by two zombie ogres or some sort.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_chair

Dire Zombie Penguins please, they MUST be fashionable.

Thrawn183
2010-09-21, 11:34 PM
I think the Rod of Escape can be used to create a sphere without water in it. I remember I had one on my Dragonfire Adept and it was an issue because in a fight with a Kraken, I realized that if I fell off of it, I would fall all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

The effect only lasts for... 10 minutes I think, so my character probably would have died when that time was up. Assuming he survived the 20d6 falling damage of course.

Hague
2010-09-22, 12:15 AM
Give yourself immunity to acid and ride around inside a gelatinous cube?

Asheram
2010-09-22, 04:34 PM
How about a Psychoactive skin?

"A deployed skin completely covers the wearer and all his equipment, but allows him to see, hear, and breathe normally. It rolls away from various parts of the body as needed, such as when the wearer needs to eat or access a backpack. Held items or items specifically excluded are not covered up."

TechnOkami
2010-09-22, 07:07 PM
Give yourself immunity to acid and ride around inside a gelatinous cube?

Nono, that's if I want to play as an awakened acid shark paladin with the gelatinous cube as its mount. Smite nom!

CirclesAllOver
2010-09-22, 07:13 PM
Rod of Escape from MIC lets you create a ward that repels water. The spell in the item that lets you do that is Control Water. You could probably homebrew an item using Control Water that would let you do that continuously.