PDA

View Full Version : Project: Super Smash (A Vote Up Adventure)

Ziegander
2010-09-21, 11:55 PM
PROJECT: SUPER SMASH
A VOTE UP ADVENTURE

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z144/KIRBYMASTERXL/SuperSmashBrosBrawl6.jpg

So, after briefly mentioning my reasons for not posting much around here in the "Are these forums the homebrewiest" thread, I felt the urge to post more around here. It was a conundrum. An itch I couldn't scratch. I couldn't think of anything to homebrew. I had the desire, but not the inspiration. Finally, gazing upon the wondrous avatar of the equally wonderful Lix Lorn, I found that inspiration. What I at first took to be a woman farting a heart, I was informed quite quickly that it was in fact representing Princess Peach, and her famous hip smash attack from the acclaimed Smash Bros series! This was the inspiration I needed! A chance to homebrew material based on these amazingly entertaining games! This is the reason we're here, folks.

What I want out of those viewing this thread are votes. Votes which will decide what direction I should take this project. My first thoughts were base classes FOR EVERYONE! I then moved on to creating the Save the Princess discipline, although some misgivings were voiced over simply representing the game and characters through Tome of Battle derived Disciplines. I wouldn't want to homebrew a product that offers anything less than 100% customer satisfaction now would I? That's where you come in, fellow forumers! You will decide exactly what I should homebrew and how.

Voting works like this: I will present a number of options each round. Before starting each round I will ask you guys for options that I have forgotten to include that might be relevant to the current round. Once the list of options is finalized I will begin the round and set a deadline. At the end of each round the winning option will be something I definitely include in the project and will receive the most of my attention during the design process. The runners-up will receive consideration given their placement (2nd place has a high chance of being included in some capacity, 3rd place a fair chance, and so on).

This thread will be updated with the results of polls and with new polls as they are devised. Anyone is welcome to vote at any stage of the project, even if they haven't voted on it before. Are we ready to begin? I think so!

Round 1

NOTE: Options will be scored based on first, second, or third choice. When voting you may include first, second, and third choices. If you only post one option I will consider that your first choice. First is worth 3pts, second 2pts, and third 1pt. The option with the most pts at the end of the round wins.

Which of the following would you most want to see designed in this project?

New 20-Level Base Classes
Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
New Prestige Classes
New Tome of Battle Disciplines
New Monsters (and/or Races)
New Items (including Legacy Items)
New Spells
New Feats
New Skills
Entirely new battle mechanics ("casting" systems, alternate rules, etc)

Dairun Cates
2010-09-21, 11:57 PM
Slight Alternate suggestion here before you get in too deep. Look at Mutants and Mastermind 2nd Edition. The way damage is handled as a save is PERFECT for simulating increasing damage percentages without actually killing the opponent.

Roc Ness
2010-09-22, 01:33 AM
Are races in the same section as monsters? Because you might want races.

Ziegander
2010-09-22, 01:48 AM
Good point, Ness. I'll include them with the Monsters option.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-22, 05:25 AM
New battle mechanics followed by classes and monsters.

Oslecamo
2010-09-22, 05:33 AM
1-Classes
2-Items
3-Feats

Also if the class option is chosen I pledge myself to help doing it.

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 05:39 AM
Don't you mean "A Vote Up Campaign Setting"? Because that is what this seems like. Also actually not as much "voting" as it seems like you want this to be a community project.

Oslecamo
2010-09-22, 06:24 AM
Don't you mean "A Vote Up Campaign Setting"?

Why do you think this would be a campaign seting? The whole idea of SSB is to get characters from diferent setings togheter, so any material produced here should be capable of be inserted in your average campaign whitout much trouble, instead of spending effort trying to explain why Link and Samus are having tea togheter at Peach's castle.

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 06:53 AM
Why do you think this would be a campaign seting? The whole idea of SSB is to get characters from diferent setings togheter, so any material produced here should be capable of be inserted in your average campaign whitout much trouble, instead of spending effort trying to explain why Link and Samus are having tea togheter at Peach's castle.

It's not because of the way SSB is that I think that, but because of the first post. Eberron is a campaign setting. Red Hand of Doom is an adventure. Yet while Eberron presents a new base class, PrCs, monsters and races, RHoD I'm fairly certain does not. Because the OP wants to make all that, it seems to me as if he wants to create a campaign setting moreso than an adventure, or rather that he first wants to make a basic campaign setting for the adventure to take place in.

Oslecamo
2010-09-22, 07:23 AM
Because the OP wants to make all that, it seems to me as if he wants to create a campaign setting moreso than an adventure, or rather that he first wants to make a basic campaign setting for the adventure to take place in.

A campaign seting is more than that. You need a seting to start with, then stories, plot hooks, NPCs, spells, feats, skills, ect, ect. The OP would do only 2-3 of those to start with because of his limited time.

After all, a lot of homebrews on this forums include classes, feats, equipment and races at the same time yet don't call themselves campaign setings.

Ziegander
2010-09-22, 08:12 AM
@M-Bark: I only used the word Adventure because I've never done a Vote-Up thread before, making this an adventure for me. Also, I don't necessarily want to make all of the options. I included them for completeness and out of consideration for the other people on the forum. If something I wasn't necessarily looking to design gets a lot of votes, well, then I'll probably design it.

@Everyone else: So, I suppose nobody else thinks I've missed anything with the options?

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 09:12 AM
1.New 20-Level Base Classes
2.Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
3.New Prestige Classes
4.New Tome of Battle Disciplines
5.New Monsters (and/or Races)
6.New Items (including Legacy Items)
7.New Spells
8.New Feats
9.New Skills
10.Entirely new battle mechanics ("casting" systems, alternate rules, etc)

Out of this list you gave, I think Alternate Class Features are most interesting. You just have to figure out which characters need those to be appropriately statted (Link seems to me like a Fighter/Mystic Ranger - OoT - or Fighter/Wildshape Ranger - TP - or variations of that depending on which game we're talking about). Samus deserves her own class, but if you want to save work you could ask Prime32 for a link to his class based off her.

Out of the list, my votes go:

1. Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
2. New Prestige Classes
3. New items (DEFINITELY DO WANT, although I won't put it as the top priority)
4. Feats (because just about every project needs a feat or two at least)

NineThePuma
2010-09-22, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see all of the above, but some characters are pretty well covered already. I would think that certain characters (Bowser, for example) would be Monsters, while some only have individualized disciplines and classes.

Samus deserves a class. Link does not. Link can be (somewhat) emulated by use of certain classes and concepts. Samus cannot be emulated without a lot of meandering magic stuff.

Maxios
2010-09-22, 04:51 PM
What I'd do, is I'd right out all the base mechanics, attacking, right out a few adventures and bad guys, etc.

DracoDei
2010-09-22, 08:13 PM
Save the Princess is a discipline currently being developed.

I have seen Samus's armor done as a artifact (with upgrades).

Ziegander
2010-09-23, 01:39 AM
Okay, the initial deadline for voting Round 1 will be Midnight, Monday September 27th. If there's steady interest going after then I'll move on to the next Round of votes.

Ziegander
2010-09-28, 12:19 AM
Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. Is there no more interest in the project?

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-28, 12:20 AM
One idea - crib 10-level base classes off of D20 Modern. I mean, seriously, trying to pack most Brawlers into 20 levels is gonna be a lotta dead levels/extra crap. 10 level base classes followed by some PrCs that represent various play styles (like Item Master or something) would be great.

the humanity
2010-09-28, 02:40 AM
duplicating the joysticks and everything might be a good idea.

make it like a customizable, adaptable character. have main attacks, special attacks, and make these tradeable as you level until everything's better, like for link his bombs would be stronger, for kirby he could duplicate a move of his choice, for roy his fiery up+b move would be harder to intercept.

each character starts as the basic character, make it so you emulate the actual player getting better.

Chess435
2010-09-28, 02:27 PM
Could I get stats for Master Hand and Crazy Hand, for an ECL 65 party?

1-PRC's
2-Items
3-Monsters/Races (I want to play with bowser!)

Chess435
2010-09-28, 03:51 PM
By the way:

http://rocksclan.com/images/falconpunchbylobostylez.jpg

Maxios
2010-10-14, 11:24 AM
Shame this seems to been closed :smallfrown:

Ziegander
2010-10-14, 12:12 PM
The final votes were as follows:

Items - 11pts
New Races - 8pts
Alternate Class Features - 6pts
New Battle Mechanics - 6pts
Prestige Classes - 5pts
New Base Classes - 5pts
New Feats - 4pts

Rainbow Servant
2010-10-14, 06:07 PM
I feel I should preface my post by saying I've haven't played a whole lot of SSB (I know, I know, shame on me), but nevertheless this is a brilliant idea.
Votes as follows:

ACFs - 3 points: Easiest to work on, possibly the most bang for your homebrew buck, and as has been mentioned a lot of the characters are pretty close to the existing classes out there. A great starting point for the project I think.

Items - 2 points: Because I love the hammers. That is all.

Feats - 1 point: It came down to this and skills, and I think feats building off existing skills can cover a lot more ground without overlapping anything that already exists. Also a good starting point for prestige classes and the like.

So! Don't get discouraged, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see this project get started, and once you get the ball rolling there'll be a lot more interest.

Thugorp
2010-10-14, 06:55 PM
3 points: Monsters. Because I think it will be the easiest, and just this one step can make your players feel like they have just entered the game playing there own charicter. (Kirby versus, Lidda at final destination!)

2 points: Items. This was a hard second, I almost put it first. In fact I did put it first, but then started writing about monsters instead... which told me I must have had a different opinion then I thought I had. But any way, I would like to see items for most of the same reasons I would like to see monsters I just think monsters progress you FAR more quickly along your goal than items do. However, items are even easier to make; plus wouldn't it be cool to find a pair of, Bunny ears of uncontrolled hast and hoping.

1 point: feats and/or spells. I find I can not decide weather I would reather see spells based on the game(Leomund's, Final destination, would be so cool) but on the other hand feats would probably be more balanced useful for every day play, more accessible and in the end probably more consistently cool.... hmmm actually it sounds like feats just won out I guess, put my last 1 point behind feats.

Cute_Riolu
2010-10-14, 07:15 PM
Can I just put all my votes into battle mechanics? :P

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-14, 08:58 PM
I would just like to contribute this (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/User:TK-Squared/Lavabox/Costumed_Hero).

Ziegander
2010-10-16, 11:26 AM
Okay, okay, so you guys convinced me! I'll keep monitoring this for the next few days. If we continue to get votes in I'll leave it open until next Friday (Oct 22nd), if not I'll start working on this as early as Wednesday!

Maxios
2010-10-19, 11:10 AM
3 Points monsters
2 points Items
1 Point Feats

Ziegander
2010-10-20, 05:08 AM
I gotta say, I'm a little bit surprised by the direction the votes have taken us, but looks like I'll be working on Smash Bros Items first and foremost! I guess I ought'ta get to it!

Morph Bark
2010-10-20, 05:56 AM
Items are also easier to implement in campaigns that don't include other SSB stuff, or where they want to stat the SSB characters using existing classes and PrCs. :smalltongue:

Ziegander
2010-10-20, 08:05 AM
Preliminary list of items being considered (many more to come I assure you):

Smash Ball
Pokeball
Capsule
Heart Container
Super Mushroom
Poison Mushroom
Warp Star
Starman
Metal Box
Bunny Hood
Stopwatch
Beam Sword
Home-Run Bat
Lip's Stick
Star Rod
Golden Hammer
Beam Gun
Fire Flower
Bob-Omb
Gooey Bomb
Freezie
Turtle Shell
Screwball

Items that didn't make the cut might show up as spells or feats or even class features (items that did make the cut might still end up in one of those categories as I go through the design work).

Other possible items will include things that while not in Smash Bros, are in respective Nintendo titles such as the Raccoon Suit, Chaos Emeralds, and the Ocarina of Time (among many others).

Chess435
2010-10-21, 09:39 AM
*Imagine my D&D paladin doing Link's Final Smash*

Thugorp
2010-10-21, 11:48 AM
what is the screw ball? Do you mean the soccer ball?

finally, I think, "starman's" isn't an item from super smash... Stary, is an assist trophy?

Also, what about a potion of super-spicy curry?
and why not the assist trophies?

also, I actually have stats for bom-oms! I will post them later. :-)

Knaight
2010-10-21, 01:15 PM
The screw ball is an item one holds that turns their jump into Samus's Up-B.

Ziegander
2010-10-21, 03:15 PM
what is the screw ball? Do you mean the soccer ball?

It's called Screw Attack in Metroid and in SSBros, but in translating to DnD I think I'm going to call it a Screwball.

finally, I think, "starman's" isn't an item from super smash... Stary, is an assist trophy?

Invincible Star might be a more appropriate name, but Starman is what they called it on the SSBB website.

Also, what about a potion of super-spicy curry?

This isn't a bad idea.

and why not the assist trophies?

Because scrolls of Summon Monster and/or Planar Ally already exist. I didn't feel like these would add anything different to DnD.

also, I actually have stats for bom-oms! I will post them later. :-)

Haha! Sweet!

John Cribati
2010-10-21, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't Pokeballs fall under Summon Monster as well?

Ziegander
2010-10-21, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't Pokeballs fall under Summon Monster as well?

Yes... I don't know why I included Pokeballs... scratch that one off.

Chess435
2010-10-22, 01:49 PM
Heart Container - Going with more of a Legend of Zelda interpretation on this one.

Restore the user to full health and removes negative conditions (as the heal spell) and increases their max HP as if they gained a level in the last class they gained a level in. However, they do not actually level up.

Super and Poison mushrooms are easy: just treat them enlarge/reduce monster on contact, no save. Lasts 5 rounds.

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-22, 04:10 PM
Heart Container - Going with more of a Legend of Zelda interpretation on this one.

Restore the user to full health and removes negative conditions (as the heal spell) and increases their max HP as if they gained a level in the last class they gained a level in. However, they do not actually level up.

That would probably have to be a minor artifact then. Otherwise players would buy a lot, and get a ton of HP.

Chess435
2010-10-22, 04:17 PM
Yeah, good point. A maxim tomato should just be a consumable heal spell.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-22, 06:07 PM
Golden Hammer: warhammer stats plus the following: +1 reach, AoO attacks on any enemy in range that moves or attacks 3/day (lasts 3 rounds) even if they wouldn't normally trigger one (i.e. Tumble).

Metal Box: 1 use item that reduces movement speed by 1/2, increases AC by 4 and auto crits with unarmed strikes if the attack hits.

Samm
2010-10-23, 01:02 AM
In my mind, I'd firstly like to see something to accommodate all the characters. Whether that'd be Base Classes, TOB disciplines or ACFs etc.

I believe that we should end-up having a base class for each character. However, the very similar ones could make use of ACFs of new or existing classes. Say, Fox and Falco, they could be the same class, but make use of ACFs.

Regular attacks could be represented through TOB style disciplines, because they're often quite similar, while specials could be represented through class features/feats...

Additionally, I would like there to be a few new mechanics, like a dodge mechanic, because dodging is a large part of the way I play Brawl.

Thugorp
2010-10-23, 04:53 AM
Thanks for answering my questions. Here is the Bob-omb:

http://www.bob-omb.com/bob-omb.jpg

Bob-omb
Tiny construct
HD: 1d10 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 15 ft.
AC: 18 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural).
BAB/Grapple: +0/-10
Attacks: None
Space/reach: 2.5/0 ft.
Special Attacks: Detonate
Special Qualities: Construct traits, DR 5/magicSaves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 3?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral

A knee-high black metal sphere creaks forth on two stubby orange feet, propelled by a small gray key sticking out of its back. Two small white marks are situated on the upper half of the body, appearing to serve as eyes. A smoldering length of string protrudes from the top.

Bob-bombs are tiny mechanical constructs that pack a big wallop.

Bob-ombs are about two feet tall and weigh roughly ten pounds. They can be picked up and thrown, with a 10 foot range
increment.
-----
Detonate (Ex): As a move action, a bob-bomb can explode, destroying itself and dealing 5d6 damage to everything within fifteen feet. A DC 10 Reflex save halves the damage. In addition, any creature that fails the Reflex save must attempt a Fortitude save against the same DC or be knocked prone from the force of the blast. If an attack destroys a bob-omb, there is a 5% chance per point of damage dealt that this ability triggers.

Construction: A bob-omb's body is created from an iron sphere and various mechanical parts that cost 50 gp.

CL 5th; Craft Construct, Fireball, Mage Hand, caster must be at least 5th level; Price 800 gp; Cost 400 gp+32 XP.

Thugorp
2010-10-23, 02:39 PM
It's called Screw Attack in Metroid and in SSBros, but in translating to DnD I think I'm going to call it a Screwball.

Actually in SSBB the screw attack, is a wearable, like the franklin badge. So maybe, make it like, the Broach Of Screwing or something.

Knaight
2010-10-24, 02:48 AM
Actually in SSBB the screw attack, is a wearable, like the franklin badge. So maybe, make it like, the Broach Of Screwing or something.

That doesn't even sound like innuendo; there probably is an item of that name in the BoEF.

Thugorp
2010-10-24, 03:10 AM
Book of Effervescent Foliage?

NineThePuma
2010-10-24, 03:27 AM
That doesn't even sound like innuendo; there probably is an item of that name in the BoEF.

Nope. Just checked. *puts BoEF away*

Thugorp
2010-10-24, 03:28 AM
what does that stand for?

Thugorp
2010-10-24, 03:44 AM
what does that stand for?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-24, 03:45 AM
Book Of Erotic Fantasy

Chess435
2010-10-25, 09:53 AM
Beam Sword: This +5 keen flaming burst longsword is a reach weapon, allowing the user to strike targets both adjacent to the wielder and 10 feet away. On a successful hit, the wielder may make a bull rush attempt as a free action without entering their opponent's square or provoking an AoO.

Value: About 150,000 gp.

Thugorp
2010-10-26, 05:23 PM
Book Of Erotic Fantasy

oh thanks... odd I think I actually have that. As well as the Nymphomocon.

Samm
2010-10-26, 11:49 PM
Just some strange and crazy ideas I thought of:

Maybe, the dodge rules could be something along the lines of:

As a reaction to an attack, sacrificing an attack next turn, you may make a dodge check (d20+dex+BAB) oppossed by the enemies attack roll. If you succeed, the opponents attack misses you. If you succeed by 5 or more, you may make an AOO on the opponent that attacked you. If you fail, the opponent hits you.

Maybe something to accomodate smash attacks:

As a standard action, you may make one attack. This attack upon hitting deals normal damage, multiplied by the number of attacks your BAB gives you. In addition to this, when you make a successful hit, you may initiate a bullrush attempt without provoking AOOs or entering their square. You gain a +2 bonus to your bullrush attempt for every extra attack your BAB gives you. A dodge check to avoid this type of attack gains a +4 bonus.

Okay, for the aforementioned beamsword, you may wish to add a bonus to the bullrush attempts for smashes, while for normal attacks, it gives you a free attempt.

Why the bullrush attempts? Because Brawl is all about knocking people offscreen. We may want to modify the bullrush rules to make it easier to bullrush people if they're on higher damage.

Edit: Maybe, instead my proposed of smash attacks, we just use TOB style manuevres, because they can be quite unique. However, bullrushing still should be a large part of this game. And attempting to perform a manuevre should give a person dodging a bonus, because they are slower and harder to pull-off.

Ziegander
2010-10-27, 04:06 AM
While the Bull Rush mechanics can work, I was thinking of creating something unique that plays more smoothly and efficiently. Something along the lines of...

When playing with the Super Smash rules creatures are not dealt damage in the standard way. Instead of subtracting damage from a creatures hit points, record them separately. Anytime a creature is dealt damage it is knocked back a number of squares determined by how much damage is being dealt compared to how much damage the creature has already been dealt. When a creature has taken 25% of its hit points in damage, and for every 25% of its HP beyond that, increase the distance it is knocked back by damage. Attacks also come in three types (Light, Normal, and SMASH) which either halve, leave unchanged, or double the distance the creature is knocked back. Until a creature has been dealt 25% or more of its hit points in damage, no amount of damage, regardless of attack will knock the creature back (unless the attack specifically says otherwise).

For example, Mario has 100HP, and is hit with a SMASH attack dealing 30 damage. Since he's got no damage already this doesn't knock him back, but it does breach his first 25% mark. Next, he's attacked by a goomba. If the goomba's attack hits and is Light, Mario will be knocked back 5ft/20 damage dealt by the attack. If the attack is Normal, Mario will be knocked back 5ft +5ft/10 damage dealt by the attack. If the attack is a SMASH, Mario will be knocked back 10ft +10ft/10 damage dealt by the attack.

Successive hits on the same target cause further and further knock back.

(In this variant creatures do not die from damage. I have yet to come up with win/loss mechanics, but it's late gimme a break).

Chess435
2010-10-27, 01:43 PM
*imagines adventuring party and BBEG teleported into a large sealed box*

Samm
2010-10-28, 01:03 AM
While the Bull Rush mechanics can work, I was thinking of creating something unique that plays more smoothly and efficiently. Something along the lines of...

When playing with the Super Smash rules creatures are not dealt damage in the standard way. Instead of subtracting damage from a creatures hit points, record them separately. Anytime a creature is dealt damage it is knocked back a number of squares determined by how much damage is being dealt compared to how much damage the creature has already been dealt. When a creature has taken 25% of its hit points in damage, and for every 25% of its HP beyond that, increase the distance it is knocked back by damage. Attacks also come in three types (Light, Normal, and SMASH) which either halve, leave unchanged, or double the distance the creature is knocked back. Until a creature has been dealt 25% or more of its hit points in damage, no amount of damage, regardless of attack will knock the creature back (unless the attack specifically says otherwise).

For example, Mario has 100HP, and is hit with a SMASH attack dealing 30 damage. Since he's got no damage already this doesn't knock him back, but it does breach his first 25% mark. Next, he's attacked by a goomba. If the goomba's attack hits and is Light, Mario will be knocked back 5ft/20 damage dealt by the attack. If the attack is Normal, Mario will be knocked back 5ft +5ft/10 damage dealt by the attack. If the attack is a SMASH, Mario will be knocked back 10ft +10ft/10 damage dealt by the attack.

Successive hits on the same target cause further and further knock back.

(In this variant creatures do not die from damage. I have yet to come up with win/loss mechanics, but it's late gimme a break).

That's actually quite good, though the numbers may need screwing around with. I was thinking the smash attacks would be TOB style manoeuvres, as well. So they decrease the number of smashes one can pull off. Light attacks should increase the number of attacks you can deal, while normal attacks should leave it alone.

I also think that dodge mechanics are very important.

Ziegander
2010-10-28, 11:47 AM
That's actually quite good, though the numbers may need screwing around with. I was thinking the smash attacks would be TOB style manoeuvres, as well. So they decrease the number of smashes one can pull off. Light attacks should increase the number of attacks you can deal, while normal attacks should leave it alone.

Thanks, glad you like it. The numbers probably need playing with, I agree (I have a feeling Light attacks will end up never knocking creatures back by the time I'm done, for instance).

I also think that dodge mechanics are very important.

Oh, I agree, I just have to come up with a good way to handle it. That and shield.

Samm
2010-10-29, 02:03 AM
Thanks, glad you like it. The numbers probably need playing with, I agree (I have a feeling Light attacks will end up never knocking creatures back by the time I'm done, for instance).

Yeah. We'll need someone to actually sit down and work it out.

Oh, I agree, I just have to come up with a good way to handle it. That and shield.

Additionally, jumping is going to be an interesting thing. Jumps in mid-air a large part of Brawl, so we'll have to sort out a jumping system.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-31, 05:35 AM
Double Jump: as you realize you won't make it to the platform you push down on the air and jump as if your feet were on solid ground. If your jump exceeds your movement you may make a second jump. recharge: after using the Double Jump you must wait 3 rounds before doing it again

Sheild: you block your opponents attack in a surge of will. Immediate Interupt. Can't use on crits. whenever someone successfully attacks you, you can make a reflex check with the DC = 10+damage dealt. you have a pool of shield ponts = to 10+(5xlevel), when you fail at the reflex check minus the difference between your roll and the DC. if you succeed at the check minus 1/2 the damage dealt from your shield pool. if you dont have enough shield points you take any excess points as damage (still the 1/2 damage). you can recharge points at 5+1/2level as a move action

Samm
2010-10-31, 11:52 PM
Double Jump: as you realize you won't make it to the platform you push down on the air and jump as if your feet were on solid ground. If your jump exceeds your movement you may make a second jump. recharge: after using the Double Jump you must wait 3 rounds before doing it again

Hmm... I'm not really sure of this. I'm rather tired right now, so I can't think very clearly, but I see a problem with characters with more than 2 jumps. Think Kirby or Jigglypuff. Sure, we could just pile on the extra jumps...

Also, why the three rounds cool down? The way I see it, it should be refreshed by spending one round on the ground, as per the video game.

Sheild: you block your opponents attack in a surge of will. Immediate Interupt. Can't use on crits. whenever someone successfully attacks you, you can make a reflex check with the DC = 10+damage dealt. you have a pool of shield ponts = to 10+(5xlevel), when you fail at the reflex check minus the difference between your roll and the DC. if you succeed at the check minus 1/2 the damage dealt from your shield pool. if you dont have enough shield points you take any excess points as damage (still the 1/2 damage). you can recharge points at 5+1/2level as a move action

I'd prefer if shield was an action taken during your turn, as it takes up time you could have spent attacking the other guy. I do like the shield points though. If we're running the shield ability as an action, I think it would be a good idea if taking consecutive actions to shield should also reduce the number of shield points one has. As for refreshing, I think it should be done automatically, on a round by round basis.

Additionally, if your shield looses all it's points, I'd like to see a stun effect occur for say, one round.

Chess435
2010-11-01, 09:51 AM
Perhaps give additional jump(s) an penalty like -10, so they don't go that far. Though I must admit that a fly speed will screw everything over.

InfiniteNothing
2010-11-01, 06:06 PM
Hmm... Well in all honesty I think Kirby and Jigglypuff can be considered the exceptions to the rule on the double-jump.

Maybe give them short-term flight ala raptoran or dragonborn? (FYI: If you don't have those books it means they can only fly for a number of minutes per day equal to their Con. modifier before getting fatigued, and can't fly while fatigued.)

Samm
2010-11-02, 12:44 AM
Hmm... Well in all honesty I think Kirby and Jigglypuff can be considered the exceptions to the rule on the double-jump.

Maybe give them short-term flight ala raptoran or dragonborn? (FYI: If you don't have those books it means they can only fly for a number of minutes per day equal to their Con. modifier before getting fatigued, and can't fly while fatigued.)

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea for those who can glide. And the -10 penalty, I don't really believe in. These characters were designed with extra jumps in mind. They probably should be able to stay airborne, until they either run out of jumps or run out of movement.